Albums of 2023 Discussion Thread

ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Albums of 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by ProjectTermina »

Happy new year gang. Getting the thread started with a little release radar for ya. Actually, we had a couple semi-notable releases already, with newly reunited punk band FIreworks releasing their first album in nine years, as well as a new ambient release from Moby.

Here's some stuff coming out this Friday that's been in the press:
I'm looking forward to Limestone RItual by Chicago outfit Doom Flower. Frontwoman Jess Price would record ideas for songs anytime and anywhere, as soon as possible so long as they still sounded audible, and sent them to bassist Bobby Burg, who would write a bass line over each one in surprising directions that recontextualized them into sounding like totally different songs. Then they sampled some old breakbeat records for the drum tracks, and ended up with some sleepy-sounding rock slightly reminiscent of 90s trip-hop. Listen to "Past Tense" here: https://recordlabel.us/track/past-tense-9-6-2022

Nobody's really covering these guys besides Decibel magazine, but I thought that newly formed Texas death metal band Throat Locust's debut EP, Dragged Through Glass, sounds pretty satisfying. It seems to be due for a proper digital release on Friday, but you can listen on YouTube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozVmI-UeZwk
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Re: Albums of 2023 Discussion Thread

Post by TheLastEnemy »

That Fireworks album is pretty damn good imho. Same for Moby. I'm also enjoying Esoctrilihum's "Funeral" which is not the sort of thing I'd normally listen to (blackgaze).
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

This is what's on my radar (only including albums with release dates, looking at you Masochism)

Caroline Polachek- Desire, I Want to Turn Into You- February 14th
Fever Ray- Radical Romantics- March 10th
Lana Del Rey- Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd.- March 10th
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

My old board game buddy Paul, who finished his DMA in jazz guitar last year, released an album with his band yesterday, their first. It's pretty groovy. https://themock5band.bandcamp.com/album/mock5
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Stuff coming out on Friday: Coming out on January 17:
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Nick wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 am This is what's on my radar...
You should check out the John Cale (of the Velvet Underground) album coming out on Friday, Mercy. "Story of Blood" featuring Weyes Blood is out now: https://pitchfork.com/news/john-cale-an ... ood-watch/
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

ProjectTermina wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:14 pm
Nick wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 am This is what's on my radar...
You should check out the John Cale (of the Velvet Underground) album coming out on Friday, Mercy. "Story of Blood" featuring Weyes Blood is out now: https://pitchfork.com/news/john-cale-an ... ood-watch/
Thanks for the rec, I'll give a few tracks a listen
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

New album from The National, April 28
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Already seems safe to bet on a top 10 ranking for the boygenius upcoming album come end of year time.
$20 is pretty awesome, Emily I'm Sorry is good Phoebe Bridgers fare and True Blue is great too so unless the rest of the album shows a huge deep of quality this seems like a guaranteed critical darling.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Nassim wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:15 pm Already seems safe to bet on a top 10 ranking for the boygenius upcoming album come end of year time.
I agree, alongside albums by Lana Del Rey, The National, Wednesday and Rihanna (if she releases one I reckon she'll be this year's Beyonce)
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
billieeilishstyle
Are You Experienced?

Post by billieeilishstyle »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 pm
Nassim wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:15 pm Already seems safe to bet on a top 10 ranking for the boygenius upcoming album come end of year time.
I agree, alongside albums by Lana Del Rey, The National, Wednesday and Rihanna (if she releases one I reckon she'll be this year's Beyonce)
Who and/or what is Wednesday?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

billieeilishstyle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:40 am
This is Wednesday (my dudes): A pretty promising country/shoegaze band (moogaze?) from North Carolina. They just released this song yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTi7e9gEpN4
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:44 am
billieeilishstyle wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:40 am

This is Wednesday (my dudes): A pretty promising country/shoegaze band (moogaze?) from North Carolina. They just released this song yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTi7e9gEpN4
I haven't gotten much into their stuff, but their guitarist MJ Lenderman is one of my favorite new artists. BleuPanda really likes their song "Bull Believer" from last year.

In other news, we have some albums tomorrow:
  • Ella Hooper - Small Town Temple
  • Fran - Leaving
  • Guided by Voices - La La Land
  • Hardy - The Mockingbird & The Crow
  • John Cale - Mercy
  • Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
  • Ladytron - Time's Arrow
  • Låpsley - Cautionary Tales of Youth
  • Lukas Graham - 4 (The Pink Album)
  • Måneskin - Rush!
  • Mac DeMarco - Five Easy Hot Dogs
  • The Murder Capital - Gigi's Recovery
  • New Found Glory - Make the Most of It
  • Trippie Redd - Mansion Musik
  • We Are Scientists - Lobes
In addition, Dave Rowntree from Blur is releasing Radio Songs on January 23. Established J-pop star Ayumi Hamasaki releases her eighteenth album, Remember You, on the 25th.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Some great albums already this year - Fireworks, Nicole Dollanganger, Belle and Sebastian and The Murder Capital are all great in my opinion.

Thanks, ProjectTermina for your weekly roundups, really helpful.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 pm Thanks, ProjectTermina for your weekly roundups, really helpful.
Glad you enjoy. If you're feeling proactive, the roundups are adapted from the Wikipedia list of 2023 albums, which I contribute to occasionally.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

The thing about that list is it's edited by volunteers who sometimes miss stuff, like today's new EP from Brainiac (3RA1N1AC), The Predator Nominate, which contains nine previously unreleased demos. https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/br ... minate-ep/

The editors on that list are also very reluctant, in the name of encyclopedic notability, to list albums from artists who do not already have a Wikipedia article, or, failing that, at least a Wikipedia for the album itself. Otherwise, I would add Gloss Up's debut, Before the Gloss Up. https://www.vibe.com/music/music-news/g ... 234728900/

Plus, some albums that just aren't notable enough to be in an encyclopedia, no matter how much I think they should be, like this new five-hour Kali Malone project. https://thequietus.com/articles/32505-k ... joy-review
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

To be honest, I don't think any of these (the ones mentioned after Boygenius) will be a real top 10 contender. Althought I don't know Wednesday, so I can't judge that one.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Another one I missed -- Boldy James surprise released an album with producer RichGains on Friday the 20th. Tom Breihan at Stereogum really likes it. https://www.stereogum.com/2211197/strea ... nes/music/
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

It's been a slow January, but it looks like the first album to grab my interest is coming out in 5 days. I didn't really get too into Parannoul's To See the Next Part of the Dream" back in 2021 (it had the makings of a great album, but the lo-fi production prevented me from liking it more), but judging from his pre-release single, his newest album has much improved in the production department.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The first two albums I've added to my system this year:
Margo Price - Strays
The Murder Capital - Gigi's Recovery
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

I hear Rebecca Black is releasing her debut, "Let Her Burn" on the 9th February. "Friday", anyone??
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Some stuff that's out today:
  • The Arcs - Electrophonic Chronic
  • Ava Max - Diamonds & Dancefloors
  • Bass Drum of Death - Say I Won't
  • Deathprod - Compositions
  • Elle King - Come Get Your Wife
  • Fucked Up - One Day
  • Kimbra - A Reckoning
  • King Tuff - Smalltown Stardust
  • Lil Yachty - Let's Start Here
  • Meg Baird - Furling
  • Sam Smith - Gloria
  • Samia - Honey
  • SG Lewis - AudioLust & HigherLove
  • The Smashing Pumpkins - Atum: Act Two
  • Tomorrow X Together - The Name Chapter: Temptation
  • Tyler Hubbard - Tyler Hubbard
  • Uriah Heep - Chaos & Colour
  • White Reaper - Asking for a Ride
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Cicice wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:46 pm I hear Rebecca Black is releasing her debut, "Let Her Burn" on the 9th February. "Friday", anyone??
Huge missed opportunity by releasing this on a Thursday.
billieeilishstyle
Are You Experienced?

Post by billieeilishstyle »

Anyone listen to the new Lil Yachty psych-rock album?
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:51 pm
Cicice wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:46 pm I hear Rebecca Black is releasing her debut, "Let Her Burn" on the 9th February. "Friday", anyone??
I know right or maybe it was intentional. Normally I thought new releases normally comes out on Friday unless you're self labelled or Beyonce.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Cicice wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:30 pm
I know right or maybe it was intentional. Normally I thought new releases normally comes out on Friday unless you're self labelled or Beyonce.
True, if it were to be released on a Friday like any other album, would we even be talking about it right now? Well played Rebecca Black, well played.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:48 am It's been a slow January, but it looks like the first album to grab my interest is coming out in 5 days. I didn't really get too into Parannoul's To See the Next Part of the Dream" back in 2021 (it had the makings of a great album, but the lo-fi production prevented me from liking it more), but judging from his pre-release single, his newest album has much improved in the production department.
The new Parannoul album is some great stuff. A must listen if you like post-rocky shoegazey rock music.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

billieeilishstyle wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:58 pm Anyone listen to the new Lil Yachty psych-rock album?
listening to it now with bleupanda, WOW. this is not what i expected.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The new Fucked Up is probably my new favorite of the year so far. But haven't gone deep enough into the year for that to mean much yet.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Nick wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:41 pm
Cicice wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:30 pm

True, if it were to be released on a Friday like any other album, would we even be talking about it right now? Well played Rebecca Black, well played.
Well played indeed Rebecca or it'll just be more hype surrounding more Friday meme (entertainment) then the album itself!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Listened to the Maneskin album out of curiosity, it's very unmemorable but safe for a couple truly terrible tracks it's not as bad as Greta Van Fleet or anything Muse has released in the past 10 years
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Really don't understand the huge scores for the Caroline Polachek album. I enjoyed Billions but the rest of the album felt pretty bland to me
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:39 am Really don't understand the huge scores for the Caroline Polachek album. I enjoyed Billions but the rest of the album felt pretty bland to me
Yeahhhh… I agree
Edre the Depeche Head
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Edre Peraza wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:03 am
TheLastEnemy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:39 am Really don't understand the huge scores for the Caroline Polachek album. I enjoyed Billions but the rest of the album felt pretty bland to me
Yeahhhh… I agree
Same here. Wasn't too impressed by Billions either, but that one at least stands out.
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

So far, that Paramore album is my favorite.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

A ranking of the six albums I've heard so far:

1. Yo La Tengo | This Stupid World
2. Caroline Polachek | Desire, I Want to Turn Into You
3. Gaz Coombes | Turn the Car Around
4. Young Fathers | Heavy Heavy
5. Kelela | Raven
6. The Murder Capital | Gigi's Recovery

Additionally, I think it'd be fun to guess where each album will end up come year end list time, so whenever I listen to a 2023 album I'm post here with my guess, putting them into four categories (they will not be ranked within the categories):
Top 10 (Rank 1-10 on EOY lists)
Ranked on AM (Rank 11-35 on EOY lists)
Bubbling Under (Rank 36-200 on EOY lists)
Unranked on AM (Rank 201+ on EOY lists)

Top 10
Caroline Polachek | Desire, I Want to Turn Into You

Ranked on AM
Yo La Tengo | This Stupid World
Young Fathers | Heavy Heavy
Kelela | Raven

Bubbling Under
Gaz Coombes | Turn the Car ARound
The Murder Capital | Gigi's Recovery
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Gillingham wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:54 am
Edre Peraza wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:03 am
Yeahhhh… I agree
Same here. Wasn't too impressed by Billions either, but that one at least stands out.
My first listen of this album suffered from the fact that so many of its songs were singles, and so many of those singles have been out for what feels like a long time (Bunny is a Rider came out summer 2021!). This has been happening more often in recent years it seems, like with the Wet Leg album last year. Usually it takes a few listens to adjust to so many familiar songs in a new context.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Oh, I think the new Caroline album is really good. I understand the feeling that many of the songs were already familiar, but taken as a whole, it's quite an impressive album. Plus, 2 of my top 3 on the album weren't released as singles. I imagine it will be a strong contender for the top 10 of the year.

I think it's pretty comparable to Pang. Let's see...

My ratings for the songs on Pang:

Door: 10
Hit Me Where It Hurts: 9
So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings: 9
Pang: 8
Go as a Dream: 8
I Give Up: 8
Caroline Shut Up: 7.5
Insomnia: 7.5
Parachute: 7.5
Hey Big Eyes: 7
Look At Me Now: 7
Ocean of Tears: 7
The Gate: 7
New Normal: 5

My ratings for the songs on Desire, I Want to Turn Into You:

Butterfly Net: 9
Billions: 9
Crude Drawing of an Angel: 9
Welcome to My Island: 8
Sunset: 8
Blood and Butter: 8
I Believe: 7.5
Pretty in Possible: 7
Fly to You: 7
Hopedrunk Everlasting: 7
Smoke: 7
Bunny Is a Rider: 6.5

There may not be a "Door"-level song on it, but the way "Butterfly Net" is feeling lately, it might end up there.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Shut the thread! Shut down the damn thread! Miss Grit has just obliterated any competition with Follow the Cyborg. First time I’ve cried during the first listen of an album since The Bride by Bat for Lashes.

This is easily my favorite album of the decade. Beautifully produced and crafted, and a tight story arc from beginning to end with a meaty “Follow the Cyborg” trilogy in the middle from tracks 5-7. I’m so grateful to be alive at the time this exists.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Had to write a quick review. This is about as concise as I can be at the moment. :lol:

There aren’t words in the English (or probably any other) language to properly communicate my feelings about Miss Grit’s debut album, Follow the Cyborg. The monicker of Margaret Sohn, who studied music technology and engineering at NYU, it follows in the footsteps of their first two EPs. Like those releases, Follow the Cyborg is self-produced and Sohn’s writing process of building songs around a textural genesis is apparent. Their trademark spiky guitars and delicate vocals are joined by an array of electronic elements befitting the album’s subject. While touchstones of St. Vincent’s influence are evident, Follow the Cyborg is a unique concoction whose extraordinary execution makes it easily my favorite album of the decade so far, and perhaps much more.

There is a beautiful attention to detail that fuses the album sonically and thematically. The production emphasises the part-human, part-machine nature of the cyborg character. The humanity comes through with Sohn’s gorgeously layered vocals and moments of blissful serenity. The machinery shrines through the mechanical pulse of textured electronics and abrupt bursts of fuzzed out technicolor guitar. Many songs juxtapose these elements to great effect, such as the opener “Perfect Blue” and penultimate track “The End” beginning with tranquil beauty before igniting into jagged pyrotechnics, while “Like You” and “Lain (Phone Clone)” do the reverse, starting with mechanized cool and subsequently giving way to visceral guitar-streaked choruses. There are so many beautiful touches, like the gradual rise of volume in the 16th notes on the title track and the way they give way to twinned saxophones and then an eruption of guitars, the nostalgia-soaked humming that closes some of the verses in “Nothing’s Wrong”, the barbed bass solo in “Like You”, the rhythm and minimalism that fuels “사이보그를 따라와” into awestruck wonder, and so many more. From a pure sonic perspective, there is a veritable buffet of delights.

Thematically, Follow the Cyborg draws inspiration from various other sources such as the film Ex Machina, the anime Lain, and the essay A Cyborg Manifesto. It is to the album’s credit that despite being unfamiliar with these reference points, I still am able to follow the narrative. The first 2 tracks chronicle Sohn’s cyborg character confronting their creator, while tracks 3-7 detail their perception of the dual beauty and torment of human society, culminating with the epic three-part centerpiece of “Buffering”, “Follow the Cyborg”, and “사이보그를 따라와” shaking off the shackles of their creation to forge an independent path. The final 3 tracks are emotionally charged reflections of their steps forward, and away from the past, earning the pathos that the closer “Syncing” doles out with such gut-wrenching splendor. It is a coming-of-identity story for someone who doesn’t fit in disguised through a coming-of-age narrative arc.

Needless to say, I am completely blown away and feel so grateful to exist at the same time as this album. It’s the first album that has made me cry on first listen since The Bride by Bat for Lashes in 2016. In fact, listening to it made me marvel at such fundamental things as having limbs, walking, breathing, existing, and perceiving the world around me. Its vibrant and assured embrace of otherness makes for a very powerful experience that packs so much into its 35 minute runtime.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Ah so I know live albums dont really count but Black Country New Road really hit it out of the park with this one... heres what I enjoy so far this year (albums higher than a 70)

1. Black Country New Road - Live at Bush Hall
2. Shame - Food For Worms
3. Young Fathers - Heavy Heavy
4. Paramore - This Is Why
5. Lil Yachty - Lets Start Here
6. Model/Actriz - Dogsbody
Edre the Depeche Head
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Yeah, I'm really happy to see that Black Country, New Road is still outstanding after Isaac left. Fantastic live album.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’m listening to the Paramore album. Melodically I kind of like it, the lyrics though. More misanthropic than Morrissey. Reads like the diary of depressed narcissistic teenager. That makes it very hard to listen to.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

^^^ True, very depressing lyrics, usually something I shy away from.

I think they're above the level of a teenager tho.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Moonbeam wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 pm Oh, I think the new Caroline album is really good. I understand the feeling that many of the songs were already familiar, but taken as a whole, it's quite an impressive album. Plus, 2 of my top 3 on the album weren't released as singles. I imagine it will be a strong contender for the top 10 of the year.

I think it's pretty comparable to Pang. Let's see...

My ratings for the songs on Pang:

Door: 10
Hit Me Where It Hurts: 9
So Hot You're Hurting My Feelings: 9
Pang: 8
Go as a Dream: 8
I Give Up: 8
Caroline Shut Up: 7.5
Insomnia: 7.5
Parachute: 7.5
Hey Big Eyes: 7
Look At Me Now: 7
Ocean of Tears: 7
The Gate: 7
New Normal: 5

My ratings for the songs on Desire, I Want to Turn Into You:

Butterfly Net: 9
Billions: 9
Crude Drawing of an Angel: 9
Welcome to My Island: 8
Sunset: 8
Blood and Butter: 8
I Believe: 7.5
Pretty in Possible: 7
Fly to You: 7
Hopedrunk Everlasting: 7
Smoke: 7
Bunny Is a Rider: 6.5

There may not be a "Door"-level song on it, but the way "Butterfly Net" is feeling lately, it might end up there.
I'm not a massive fan, but I do like it. For me it gets much better as it goes on - almost literally so, I'd almost rank every song as being better than the one before it. I like the second half of the album a lot more - find it a lot more interesting than the first half which seems to me like a less fun version of Charli XCX.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I recommend the Parannoul album "After the Magic"
It's a Korean band and IMO it is the kind of music that most AMers like : indie rock with strong shoegazer influence. Great songwriting, great sound.
I found it in the Rate Your Music 2023 top albums list.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:42 am I recommend the Parannoul album "After the Magic"
It's a Korean band and IMO it is the kind of music that most AMers like : indie rock with strong shoegazer influence. Great songwriting, great sound.
Yes, it's been talked about before on this thread. Wasn't a big fan of the earlier released tracks myself. But some AMF'ers will probably quite like it indeed.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Gillingham wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:55 pm
nicolas wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:42 am I recommend the Parannoul album "After the Magic"
Yes, it's been talked about before on this thread. Wasn't a big fan of the earlier released tracks myself. But some AMF'ers will probably quite like it indeed.
It's a one man band by the way
He made it to #3 in our 2021 Moderately Acclaimed poll ! His split EP from last year also ranked pretty well.
His (imo much better) 2021 album has slowly but steadily grown on me to become my favorite of its year.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Having never managed to quite 'get' the Fever Ray project, their latest album has blown me away.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:54 pm ^^^ True, very depressing lyrics, usually something I shy away from.

I think they're above the level of a teenager tho.

It’s not being depressing that bothers me so much as the feeling of “The world sucks and it’s everyone else’s fault”.

It doesn’t have anything interesting or insightful about the way people suck, or any emotional stories about the personal consequences. It just says “I hate you go away”. The narcissistic, hypocritical kind of misanthropy. Like the goth kids from South Park started a band.

Didn’t know new Fever Ray was out yet, will check it out next.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”