Eligibility criteria

Henrik
Site Admin

Eligibility criteria

Post by Henrik »

1. The criteria of the list cannot include sales, airplay, streams, chart peaks, "general belovedness," etc. Commercial success does not equal acclaim.
2. The list cannot be a vote where the results are determined by readers, listeners, viewers, etc.
3. While a list decided by viewer/listener/reader votes isn't considered eligible, a long list of songs/albums by the staff that the readers are expected to choose from could be eligible.
4. Any list needs to be compiled by a group of staff, taken from a book by a single author, or a list from a "very famous music critic/person".
5. For any critics' list, it is necessary to determine what albums/songs that could have made the list but didn't. If the list is about songs from a specific year, country, genre or artist gender, the information is available for each song on AM, but it is not known for e.g. moods (happy/sad/love songs).
6. Lists of the best songs by specific artists need to have more than ten songs.
7. Rankings of albums by specific artists/bands are not currently considered eligible.

These rules are meant to apply to all kinds of lists except end-of-year lists, which have some specific rules. See viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10503.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Eligibility criteria

Post by Henrik »

Feel free to comment/discuss!
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

a list from a "very famous music critic/person" is a bit confusing
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Vacantjoy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:14 am a list from a "very famous music critic/person" is a bit confusing
Not particularly. I’m just glad you’ve got it all laid out in front of you for the next time you look for a list! Now you’ve got something specific to refer to. You also MUST read the opening paragraphs. If you leave it with even a shred of doubt regarding eligibility, there’s no shame in not posting the list.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:21 am
Vacantjoy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:14 am a list from a "very famous music critic/person" is a bit confusing
Not particularly. I’m just glad you’ve got it all laid out in front of you for the next time you look for a list! Now you’ve got something specific to refer to. You also MUST read the opening paragraphs. If you leave it with even a shred of doubt regarding eligibility, there’s no shame in not posting the list.
I created another topic where you can post lists with questionable eligibility: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11663
Please use this topic instead of a new topic, if you’re not convinced the list is eligible. Thanks!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

a suggestion: "a list of a "very famous person/music critic" could be a bit more objective, measuring the frequency of how much is cited/quoted. There are music critics who do not have books but are highly cited in books or/and articles by other authors or by various artists in interviews, etc.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Henrik wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:05 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:21 am
Vacantjoy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:14 am
henrik i wanted you to check these too

IDEA 1

End of year archive should be a Subforum in Critics' lists
like Rating changes (Allmusic, Scaruffi, etc.) became Updated Lists

IDEA 2

We should make EOY archives from the starting year until 2013 like EOY 2014-2021

IDEA 3

Posts in EOY (2014-2021) EOD 2010 and Updated lists should be counted as critic's lists

Question 1

EOY list e.g. from 1980 posted in 2022 ,does it have the same weight with an EOY 1980 ? Sould these lists be merged in the excels final results of that year?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Idea 1
Yes, I should do that

Idea 2
There are eoy spreadsheets for 2007-2013 at http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/years.htm but it might be a good idea anyhow.

Idea 3
I don’t understand

Question 1
The weight for an eoy list (or any list) is not based on when it is posted in the forum. However, a list published/created a long time after an album was released will get a higher weight for that album.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Henrik wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:09 pm Idea 1
Yes, I should do that

Idea 2
There are eoy spreadsheets for 2007-2013 at http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/years.htm but it might be a good idea anyhow.

Idea 3
I don’t understand

Question 1
The weight for an eoy list (or any list) is not based on when it is posted in the forum. However, a list published/created a long time after an album was released will get a higher weight for that album.
Idea 1 thanks
idea 2 it would be more organized in that way
idea 3 if you see e.g. donchano's profile it says most active forum EOY 2020 and not critics lists,the same thing i think is applicable to me because i have posted 340 posts in EOY 2020 and another 200-250 to EOD 2010 and is not counted with the posts in the general critics lists

question 1 a highter weight even if its an EOY ?old eoys and new eoys e.g. for 2005 will make the same final spreadsheet? thanks
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I don't understand the criteria number 5 :(
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

panam wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:01 am I don't understand the criteria number 5 :(
The way the AM scoring works, a subset of albums/songs are defined that are ”in scope” for each critics’ list. If it’s an all-time list from 2002, then the albums before 2002 are in scope. If it’s an eoy list from 2006, then the albums from 2006 are in scope. The rest of the albums are ”blanked”. An album out of scope will then not be hurt in the same way as an album that was in scope (but not selected by the critics).

For a list of happy songs, I would need to know out of all songs on AM which ones are happy, so that the happy but not selected songs get hurt (lose score) while the not happy songs don’t lose their score. If I don’t have this information, the list becomes ineligible.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Thats actually very right with the scope thing
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:17 am
panam wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:01 am I don't understand the criteria number 5 :(
The way the AM scoring works, a subset of albums/songs are defined that are ”in scope” for each critics’ list. If it’s an all-time list from 2002, then the albums before 2002 are in scope. If it’s an eoy list from 2006, then the albums from 2006 are in scope. The rest of the albums are ”blanked”. An album out of scope will then not be hurt in the same way as an album that was in scope (but not selected by the critics).

For a list of happy songs, I would need to know out of all songs on AM which ones are happy, so that the happy but not selected songs get hurt (lose score) while the not happy songs don’t lose their score. If I don’t have this information, the list becomes ineligible.

Thanks for clarify it :)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

A question: All the lists updates are eligible, right?

I'm going to transcribe the last version of Fast N Bulbous albums list.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 pm A question: All the lists updates are eligible, right?

Somewhere we ought to keep track of lists that have been updated since the last AM update (like a few of the CoS song rankings).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:25 pm
panam wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:24 pm A question: All the lists updates are eligible, right?

Somewhere we ought to keep track of lists that have been updated since the last AM update (like a few of the CoS song rankings).
There is a special forum section for this: viewforum.php?f=19
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:36 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:25 pm

There is a special forum section for this: viewforum.php?f=19
See, I know about the thread, I was thinking less of constantly-updated “halls of fame” and archives and the like and more of individual lists that have been updated to add new songs (like how a list ranking every Foo Fighters song, for instance, would now be updated to include songs from their latest album).
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 4
What's the amount of lists in AM ? I think we should include that info in All critics' lists like TSPDT
Last edited by VacantJoy on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

@Henrik ''Summary of earlier EOY lists to be added'' is such a mess as a topic , so my idea 2 counters it.did you understand the idea 3 btw?
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 5
All-Time should weight more than EODs should weight more than EOYs lists (this is already in use*)

IDEA 6
To expand the Albums to 5000 (henrik wants 10000*) and Songs to 15000 (and if that's difficult at first we can categorize/rank "bubbling under" songs in 2 categories like 10000 - 12500 & 12500 - 15000) [at 10000 Albums 20000 Songs would be great]
Last edited by VacantJoy on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 7
All the genre lists albums and songs posted before 2016 , should be tracked and added maybe in one thread
Last edited by VacantJoy on Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 8
To consider eligible 10 songs lists from Trustworthy sources , if we can tell it that way
Last edited by VacantJoy on Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Vacantjoy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:33 pm IDEA 7
To consider eligible 10 songs lists from Trustworthy sources , if we can tell it that way
I don't think so. I think it's a slippery slope and it's good to have some rules in place. There are plenty of lists with over ten songs from an artist/band, we might as well focus on them instead of worrying about what we don't have, right? Just an extra headache for nothing.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

StevieFan13 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:26 pm
Vacantjoy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:33 pm IDEA 7
I don't think so. I think it's a slippery slope and it's good to have some rules in place. There are plenty of lists with over ten songs from an artist/band, we might as well focus on them instead of worrying about what we don't have, right? Just an extra headache for nothing.
i said trustworthy sources not all of them , for example paste,rolling stone,pitchfork,treblezine and etch,i dont worry for these lists in any way , the only lists i worry is NME 500 albums/songs update...and these IDEAs are for Henrik to consider (and others too*)
Last edited by VacantJoy on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Nowadays, best songs of an artist lists are more common than 10 years ago. Media as Rolling Stone publish a new critic list practically every week. I think the fence should be higher and except the lists updates, the new lists of the same sources are creating a disproportion between corporative media and more independent and small sources.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:41 pm Nowadays, best songs of an artist lists are more common than 10 years ago. Media as Rolling Stone publish a new critic list practically every week. I think the fence should be higher and except the lists updates, the new lists of the same sources are creating a disproportion between corporative media and more independent and small sources.
I think it only feels that way cuz we haven’t had an update in so long and sources like RS and the like have gotten more prolific in their posting than before. I don’t like the disproportion either, but we don’t even know what percentage of them are even going to count towards AM. I just like that the new lists from them aren’t (just) bolstering the same old shit all the time. So I disagree, but not completely (if only cuz I’d really like to find out how many of the lists from those very sources were worth hunting down and which were a waste of time lol).
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Vacantjoy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:03 pm IDEA 5
To expand the Albums to 5000 and Songs to 15000 (and if that's difficult at first we can categorize/rank "bubbling under" songs in 2 categories like 10000 - 12500 & 12500 - 15000
I'd prefer Albums to 10000 and Songs to 20000!
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

lagire wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:12 am
Vacantjoy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:03 pm IDEA 5
To expand the Albums to 5000 and Songs to 15000 (and if that's difficult at first we can categorize/rank "bubbling under" songs in 2 categories like 10000 - 12500 & 12500 - 15000
I'd prefer Albums to 10000 and Songs to 20000!
the more the better
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I totally disagree with expanding the Top Songs, although the Top Albums could be a little higher.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

panam wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:43 pm I totally disagree with expanding the Top Songs, although the Top Albums could be a little higher.
why?
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Henrik do you have any plan on how are we going to organize all the lists for the 2024 update so they can be added?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Vacantjoy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:40 pm Henrik do you have any plan on how are we going to organize all the lists for the 2024 update so they can be added?
:?
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

panam wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:26 am
Vacantjoy wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:40 pm Henrik do you have any plan on how are we going to organize all the lists for the 2024 update so they can be added?
:?
Henrik has not made his comment on the 2024 update when i made this comment :mrgreen:
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 9
If anyone has any idea on how we can insert all the collected lists in the spreadsheets let us know :D
Last edited by VacantJoy on Mon May 29, 2023 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Vacantjoy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:46 pm If anyone has any idea on how we can insert all the collected lists in the spreadsheets let us know :D
Insert?
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

a way to add new lists to these we have already added
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 10
To create for example a Red Bull (USA/Canada) - Lists of lists (thread) and to collect all the single Red Bull (USA/Canada) lists into one thread

since i can now move topics or merge and stuff...
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 11
To create a List of Lists with (Ineligible) stuff i have posted and a List of Lists with (Duplicate) stuff i have posted (or posted by others*)
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 12
A Topic with published Books and e-books
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 13
We have in EOD 2010 2 topics from the same source one for albums one for songs ,we can merge them as EOYs
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 14
Poll creations ins't that useful because we make polls in Music, music, music...
and Films, movies, motion pictures... so we can move the topics and erase it
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 15
Single critic lists for All-Time and Decade lists or in general big lists should be investigated more ..
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 16
To Chnage the Graphic Design of the Site
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 17
Critics' lists -> Critics' Lists better
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 18
Since all the New subforums are with CAPS , Updated Lists should be TOO
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 19
Films, Movies, Motion Pictures... can be named CINEMA instead of OFF-TOPIC since TSPDT don't have a forum in it's site
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The official topic for eligibility criteria is here now:
https://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/v ... hp?t=13954
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Henrik wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:01 pm The official topic for eligibility criteria is here now:
and where this thread will go?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

VacantJoy wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:02 pm
Henrik wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:01 pm The official topic for eligibility criteria is here now:
and where this thread will go?
I think I’ll just keep it here.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

IDEA 20
In the CRITIC'S LIST'S Companion , we have included sources that are not linked to anywhere and they are written with black letters instead of blue , we can start adding the links to them!

Return to “Critics' Lists”