The "best of the best" lists

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

The "best of the best" lists

Post by StevieFan13 »

This is potentially opening a GIGANTIC can of worms here, but: of all the lists that have been posted here, regardless of whether or not the list itself has been added to AM yet, which would you say are the "best" you've seen? As in, some combination of being satisfied with the selections based on the criteria laid out, or it being a great source for discovering new music, or some combination of the two, possibly other factors I'm not thinking of. It's just hitting me that I've helped find tons of lists for AM, and the ones I've actually stuck around and listened to (Richmond Anthology of Music being the biggest recent example) have done so much for expanding my musical vocabulary. But I want to do more deep dives into specific genres and countries/territories that don't get as much of a spotlight as others. I'm generally more of a playlist guy than an album guy, but please recommend album lists as well (and don't skimp), since that's been changing gradually and I want to be a better album listener in the relatively new year.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: The "best of the best" lists

Post by Nassim »

I don't know which is objectively the best but I think the Pitchfork 500 is still my favorite list ever, it's aimed not strictly to select the 500 best songs of the period but to paint a panorama of the evolution of music through those years and does it pretty successfully (if with a very western English world point of view). It's also probably the time when Pitchfork aligned the most with my tastes as it had started moving away from the indie focused website it started as without going to the almost complete opposite it is today.

Aside from that any list from Treble is usually my favorite of its genre, they cover a fairly broad array of genres which I enjoy.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Re: The "best of the best" lists

Post by Fred »

You should definitely try to check out some "indie" songs list from the 80s. Was a turning point for me. Punk got followers all over the world.

Remember I went through John Peels lists quite often. Festive 50 etc.

Triffids, Go-Betweens and Waterboys were the best groups ever (for a while). Then came Pixies and Nirvana.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”