"Neverending Story" a musical masterpiece

MamaMoomin
Debut

"Neverending Story" a musical masterpiece

Post by MamaMoomin »

"The Neverending Story", a German American production from 1984 has one of the best soundtracks EVER. Let me explain.

The music for this film was created by the German composer Klaus Doldinger, known, among others, for his sensational soundtrack for "Das Boot". The title song was written by Giorgio Moroder. He created an unforgettable hit, which is still one of the most recognizable film songs.

The album opens with the aforementioned song, performed by the English singer Limahl, popular in the 80s. This song is the only one on this album. We still have Doldinger's compositions. Score to "The Neverending Story" is a combination of orchestral and electronic music, and in some cases the orchestration is completely ignored and replaced by synth sounds. The music is extremely varied, with sad and sentimental pieces such as "Ruined Landscape"; to pieces that emanate joy like "Bastian's Happy Flight"; to surprise us with gloomy, even dark sounds like "Gmork" or "Swamps of Sadness".

The orchestral layer of the composition is the responsibility of the Graunke Symphony Orchestra conducted by Klaus Doldinger. I must admit that the duo Doldinger & Moroder did a good job. In my opinion, it is excellent music, which you can listen to and lose yourself in it endlessly. The only disadvantage for me is the way of arranging the tracks on the album, which have nothing to do with the plot in the film. It's not that big of a problem while listening, but film lovers may get a little nervous.

This soundtrack is currently a very rare item, practically unavailable outside the US. It is also worth mentioning that two different versions of this album were created for the film. My reviewed version is a world album, while there is an edition prepared only for the German market, devoid of the title song, but enriched with a few illustrative songs not available in the English edition.

For my part, I can only write one thing: a wonderful album, which I recommend to anyone who carries in their heart the wonderful world of Fantasy. This is a very good production for those years and you listen to it just as well.

Return to “General Discussion”