Potatoes!

Humphrey12
Strange Fruit

Potatoes!

Post by Humphrey12 »

Discuss potatoes! Like, favorite variety, good recipes, favorite songs about potatoes, etc.
Humphrey12
Strange Fruit

Re: Potatoes!

Post by Humphrey12 »

Interesting facts:

The fuckin' Russians have blue potatoes.
The fuckin' Germans give an award to the potato of the year.
The Adirondack Red variety looks like kidneys.
This song is super-annoying and somewhat disturbing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMHLkyb7ho
Greg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Greg »

I like potatoes!

If I'm cooking them at home, it's usually either

1) potato salad - usually german style (red potatoes, bacon, vinegar, sugar, mustard), but I usually mash them up pretty good, more like a Japanese potato salad, instead of the sliced rounds or cubes typical of a german potato salad

2) hash browns/rösti - yukon gold or russets shredded, pan-fried in oil and topped with bacon, scallions, sour cream/crème fraîche, & melted cheddar

3) home fries - russets, new or fingerlings, parboiled and then cubed or halved and pan-fried in duck fat or bacon grease with peppers & onions, served with either ketchup or salsa brava

4) smashed potatoes - parboiled, smashed, and then roasted in the oven

And very occasionally, I'll make some gnocchi

If ordering at a restaurant, it's almost always the glorious french fry. In rough order of preference:

1) tater tots (not technically a fry but often offered as a substitution - best with ketchup or queso)
2) curly fries (best with ketchup)
3) belgian frites / shoestring fries (best with mayo/aioli/any mayo-based condiment)
4) british chips / steak fries (best with vinegar or curry)
5) waffle fries (best with...nothing. these are terrible. way too much surface area. they're always cold by the time they arrive)

Best fast food fries in the States

1) Checkers
2) McDonald's
3) Arby's

Other potato dishes I love

Papa rellena
Olivier salad
Pomme Purée (à la Robuchon)
Vichyssoise
Shepherd's/Cottage Pie
Potatonik/potato kugel
Potato chips, of course

Only potato songs that come to mind are

"All That Meat and No Potatoes" - Fats Waller (also Louis Armstrong's version)
"T-Bone" - Neil Young ("Got mashed potatoes!")
"Fried Neck Bones and Home Fries" - Willie Bobo (also Santana)

More food posts always welcome! Especially in such an international forum.

I could also totally make a list of my favorite potato dishes in NYC, but sadly I don't think there are any other folks in the area on here. I miss when the forum used to have a user map!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

PO TAY TOE

I am down with everything Greg has mentioned, only to add that in Australia we call the 'Potato Gems' rather than 'Tater Tots' which I think is a superior name. You cant get them retail in the UK though :(

Potato mash is my favourite way of prepping them, and investing in a potato ricer is a must to prepare the fluffiest, smoothest mash ever (so is lots of garlic, butter and milk).

Obviously the best themed song is The Wiggles "Hot Potato".

Music Videos:

Not sure if these characters are meant to be potatoes, but they haunt my dreams:
Humphrey12
Strange Fruit

Post by Humphrey12 »

We weren't even aware of that German variety but we probably wouldn't like it since we are all vegetarians. Except Humphrey7 on select Saturdays.

A quick shoutout to potatoes gratiné, which is our favorite.

And as for music let's not forget this cultural advancement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashed_Potato_(dance)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I am cooking beef stew as we speak. Just put the potatoes in.
AlexanderKhari
Debut

Post by AlexanderKhari »

Citrus fruits and potatoes are excellent sources of vitamin C. A 100-gram serving of grapefruit provides you with 51% of the recommended dietary allowance of vitamin C. The vitamin helps in the absorption of other nutrients, such as iron and calcium. Citric acid, the main component of citrus fruits, improves the response of insulin and blood sugar.
Humphrey12
Strange Fruit

Post by Humphrey12 »

AlexanderKhari wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:19 am Citrus fruits and potatoes are excellent sources of vitamin C. A 100-gram serving of grapefruit provides you with 51% of the recommended dietary allowance of vitamin C. The vitamin helps in the absorption of other nutrients, such as iron and calcium. Citric acid, the main component of citrus fruits, improves the response of insulin and blood sugar.
Awesome news! Which serving size of potatoes would you have to devour to reach 100%?
aaron1010
Superunknown

Post by aaron1010 »

Fiber, which helps you lose weight by keeping you fuller longer, is found in potatoes. By regulating blood sugar and cholesterol, fiber can help avoid heart disease.wordle unlimited Additionally, potatoes are a great source of vitamins that support healthy bodily functioning and antioxidants that fight disease.
Humphrey14
Superunknown

Post by Humphrey14 »

aaron1010 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:29 am Fiber, which helps you lose weight by keeping you fuller longer, is found in potatoes. By regulating blood sugar and cholesterol, fiber can help avoid heart disease.wordle unlimited Additionally, potatoes are a great source of vitamins that support healthy bodily functioning and antioxidants that fight disease.
Hi, I’m Michelle, I’m a registered nurse, the voice, content creator, and photographer behind Healthier Steps. I share vegan and gluten-free recipes because of past health issues.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Duck fat: potatoes should be baked in duck fat. First parboil them in water, for a few minutes; rinse and cool off. Then slice them and bake them in duck fat. Turn them over just once. The duck fat makes all the difference.

"Mashed Potatoes" is a dance. ("Land of a thousand dances", and "Papa's got a brand new bag")

Best dish for mashed potatoes: hotchpotch stew. Use soft-boiling potatoes.

Potatoes are excellent in Moussaka too.

Belgian fries are the best. They should be hand cut, and not shoestring but 4mm. Baked in filtered beef tallow (ox white). Double baked, one time a 140°C for 5 minutes, cool off to room temperature, and bake second time in small amounts at 180°C 'till golden brown.

(Sweet) Potatoes are excellent grilled in the oven, with some olive oil , pepper, salt and provencal herbs over them.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

We Germans proudly call ourselves potatoes because of our affinity to the savoury tuber.

Greg already posted a Rösti recipe, but I'm gonna add one for the German variant Kartoffelpuffer or Reiberdatschi (yes, those are real words):

The easisest way is to just grate some potatoes and onions (roughly in the ratio 5 to 1 I'd say) and then mix it all with some plant oil until it's all a mushy paste. You can add some flour to make it more adhesive and even an egg as a substitue for the oil if you like it even more savoury and non-vegan. Then just put some of it flat in a pan and fry it from both sides until it has a nice, slightly brown colour. Ideally, you put some freshly made apple sauce on top, et voilà! A super easy and fast dish with the downside that it might get your kitchen a bit messy.

Looking forward to reading more great potato recipes!

Return to “General Discussion”