Post by letmeintomyzone »

Film: The Power of the Dog
Television: Succession
Album: Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Predict Metacritic's No. 1 This Year for Films, Television, and Music

Post by Jirin »

Metacritic's not great for 'Best of year' listing, because it doesn't account for sample size and only counts first impressions. The album with 4 great reviews beats the album with 30 great reviews and 2 bad ones.

Those are good guesses though. Though I think #1 of year on Metacritic is either going to be some classic reissue or some metal album with 4 reviews.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Jirin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:39 pm Metacritic's not great for 'Best of year' listing, because it doesn't account for sample size and only counts first impressions. The album with 4 great reviews beats the album with 30 great reviews and 2 bad ones.

Those are good guesses though. Though I think #1 of year on Metacritic is either going to be some classic reissue or some metal album with 4 reviews.
I was thinking of the EOY lists they do around December/January
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Well then if I remember well they only take into account top 20 and mainly give points to albums that were 1st or 2nd in a list.
That makes Little Simz an unlikely pick, she won't get #1 spots outside of the UK, possibly not even a lot of top 10s.
I don't see a clear favorite this year to be honest, I'd pick either The Weather Station or Japanese Breakfast but I wouldn't bet much either way

The Power of the Dog seems like a safe bet, though there is still a PTA and a Del Toro movie to be released.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I haven’t seen enough movies or TV to make an educated guess there but it seems generally over the last decade that the album that tops the most lists usually has some level of pop appeal and impact.

There aren’t any albums like Bolt Cutters, Punisher, or Future Nostalgia this year which I imagine would have easily topped the lists this year if they were released. If I was to make a wild guess I would say Tyler the Creator, Little Simz, The War on Drugs, or Japanese Breakfast have a decent chance of topping a lot of lists.

With that said, there seems to be a lack of a broad crowd pleaser this year that everyone can agree on so who knows what critics are still thinking about this late in the year. I will say that I’m pretty sure Metacritic only takes scores and lists from publications in the U.S. and U.K. for the most part so any album that came out in any other continent probably don’t have a chance…
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

FrankLotion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:03 am I will say that I’m pretty sure Metacritic only takes scores and lists from publications in the U.S. and U.K. for the most part so any album that came out in any other continent probably don’t have a chance…
Don't know for end of year lists but there definitely are French and Spanish sources for the scores (at the very least for video games but I think for movies too)
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I haven't watched enough telly this year to give an informed view but the critics may take the crowd-pleasing option and settle on a certain Korean show.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Mike Shuman
Superunknown

Post by Mike Shuman »

Dune with Hanz Zimmer ost!

Return to “General Discussion”