AM Disney Animated Canon Poll: Results

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

AM Disney Animated Canon Poll: Results

Post by whuntva »

Here we are once again with the Disney Animated Canon Poll! It was the first formalized ranking of these movies on AcclaimedMusic. A franchise loaded with bona fide classics which has been with us for close to a century now gets a quantifiable ranking on this list. Some of these films placed in our decade polls, and many are in the National Film Registry. With the advent of Disney+, this seemed like the perfect time to rank them all. And here they are today.

As a reminder, this poll used the American listings for these films. Some countries exclude Dinosaur and Winnie-the-Pooh (2011) and include The Wild, but not this poll.

Special thanks to Holden for helping me out with the spreadsheet. I did most of the work myself, but he was a big help with the math and implementing formulas to "streamline" the process. That was nice!

As an aside, I am a part of a podcast called "Mouse Madness", where we pit these films together in a March Madness-inspired tournament format. We have ample discussions and fun talking about these movies. In fact, my involvement with this podcast was one of the inspirations for me starting this poll. If you wish to make Final Four predictions go here and subscribe to the YouTube channel here. If you message me, I would be happy to provide a link to our Discord as well.

There were thirteen votes in total, including FIVE who watched every film (and Petri, who came close):

BleuPanda (58)
Daniel (58)
FrankLotion (58)
The_Claw (58)
whuntva (myself) (58)

Petri (57)
Kendon (39)
Prosecutorgodot (36)
Schuttelbirne (30)
Mileswide (22)
Holden (21)
Bonnielaurel (20)
Miguel (20)

Thank you all for participating!

Voting Breakdown:

[*]Seven films made every ballot, with the most recent of these films being The Lion King.
[*]In the bizarre middle period of the Walt years, called the "Wartime" or "Package" Era, four of these six films placed in the bottom ten. Though one proved a breakaway hit.
[*]The lead changed hands several times, but by the last few ballots seemed to stabilize.
[*]Four films had multiple #1 votes.
[*]There was a clear bottom pick from the start. It trailed the next closest film by 18 points.
[*]I couldn't find a Disney-only critics' list, so I just decided to add the Metascore for every film.

Presentation Format

Rank. Title (Release Year)
(Total Points | # of Votes)
Metascore:
Fans: (Any Top 10 Voters OR the next highest vote outside that)
Haters: (Anyone who placed the film in the Bottom 10% of their list, rounded up)
Fun Fact: (A little trivia about each film)

The Top 10 get a blurb from a popular critic to spice things up a bit.

Without further ado, let the rollout begin!
Last edited by whuntva on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Re: AM Disney Animated Canon Poll: Results

Post by whuntva »

Let's start from the Bottom.
How did you mistake a stop sign for an acorn?
58. Chicken Little (2005)
(349 Points | 9 Votes)
Metascore: 48
Fans: Miguel (#13)
Haters: BleuPanda 58/58, Franklotion 58/58, The_Claw 58/58, kendon 39/39, whuntva 57/58, Prosecutorgodot 34/36
Fun Fact: This was the first film converted to Disney Digital 3D in collaboration with RealD technology.

Songbirds 'sing', Saloon Gals 'sing', little bitty snot-nosed children...'sing'. I yodel! And yodeling is an ART!
57. Home on the Range (2004)
(367 Points | 7 Votes)
Metascore: 50
Fans: Prosecutorgodot (#27)
Haters: BleuPanda 57/58, The_Claw 56/58, FrankLotion 55/58, Petri 53/57
Fun Fact: The song "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again?" was written by Alan Menken in direct response to the 9/11 attacks.

What you need is a little help from the 'love monkey'.
56. Dinosaur (2000)
(369 Points | 8 Votes)
Metascore: 56
Fans: Prosecutorgodot (#31 out of 36)
Haters: None (though Holden had this near that threshold)
Fun Fact: A co-production with Secret Lab, the film was not added to the canon until 2008. This third-party involvement may be why some countries prefer to include The Wild over this.

[Dinosaur seemed to be the most middling film. No serious defenders, no outright haters.]
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

For who ever heard of an operatic whale?
55. Make Mine Music (1946)
(372 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 60
Fans: whuntva (#46)
Haters: Daniel 56/58, BleuPanda 55/58, FrankLotion 53/38, Petri 54/57
Fun Fact: This is the only one of these films not on Disney+.

Now, some folks like the heavy stuff with titles five feet wide. Not me, I'm always out for fun. I like the lighter side, yes, sir!
54. Fun and Fancy Free (1947)
(377 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 66
Fans: Daniel (#34)
Haters: FrankLotion 56/58, BleuPanda 55/58, whuntva 54/58, The_Claw 52/56, Petri 56/57
Fun Fact: The "Mickey and the Beanstalk" segment is the last time Walt Disney himself voiced Mickey Mouse.

The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that.
53. Pocahontas (1995)
(381 Points | 9 Votes)
Metascore: 58
Fans: Prosecutorgodot (#11), Bonnielaurel (#11)
Haters: Daniel 58/58
Fun Fact: The movie released on June 23, 1995, the 400th anniversary of the birth of the real Pocahontas.

Or as you Americans say, 'what's cooking?'
52. Saludos Amigos (1942)
(385 Points | 6 Votes)
Fans: whuntva (#35)
Haters: FrankLotion 57/58, BleuPanda 56/58, Daniel 52/58
Fun Fact: At 42 minutes in length, this is the shortest film in the canon.

[Most of the package films seem to be for completionists only. Not that I blame them.]
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Hey, man, you're ugly! And you're uglier than him! And you're Ugly, Part Three! Hey, you're Revenge of the Ugly!
51. Oliver and Company (1988)
(387 Points | 7 Votes)
Metascore: 58
Fans: kendon (#15)
Haters: Daniel 57/58, The_Claw 55/58, whuntva 53/58
Fun Fact: "Once Upon a Time in New York City" was the first Disney song to have been penned by Howard Ashman.

You're making a horrendous mistake! I'm not a spy! I'm a bard! I sing! Uh, I entertain! Oh, careful sir, these are the hands of an artist!
50. The Black Cauldron (1985)
(388 Points | 7 Votes)
Metascore: 59
Fans: Schuttelbirne (#13)
Haters: whuntva 56/58, The_Claw 54/58, Petri 52/57
Fun Fact: Despite not being a sequel, the film's title comes from the second book in the Chronicles of Pyrdain series.
Aha, my friends! Bienvenidos, cuentos!
49. The Three Caballeros (1944)
(392 Points | 7 Votes)
Metascore: 85
Fans: The_Claw (#34)
Haters: kendon 38/39, BleuPanda 52/58
Fun Fact: The eponymous trio has proven popular in Disney media, appearing in an Epcot ride, a cameo in the Ducktales reboot, and even receiving their own show on Disney+.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Great start whuntva!

Contains Chicken Little spoilers

Chicken Little and Home on the Range were the ones everyone was expecting to see the last. Chicken Little deserves its position (the pace, the baseball climax that doesn’t mean anything, the crappy opening to just lengthen the movie). However I wasn’t among the haters. The movie is bad but it has some wtf moments that made me think how on earth Disney ever let to finish and release this mess. A pre-teen drama comedy with an alien invasion horror. Seriously? I could watch this again with someone to just see how they react.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

We have back to back ties this post. So I will have all four films in one.

You really think love has anything to do with being a man? A MAN wouldn't just sit here and do nothing.
48. Brother Bear (2003)
(393.7 Points | 10 Votes)
Metascore: 48
Fans: Schuttelbirne (#1)
Haters: The_Claw 57/58, Daniel 55/58, FrankLotion 52/58
Fun Fact: Many of the characters are named after locations in Alaska, such as Kenai, Sitka, and Tanana.

Ring, ring! Who's there? Destiny? I've been expecting your call.
47. Bolt (2008)
(394.3 Points | 9 Votes)
Metascore: 67
Fans: Schuttelbirne (#18)
Haters: Prosecutorgodot 33/36, Holden 19/21
Fun Fact: The studio lot in this film is modeled after the real Disney studio lot in Burbank.

[When naming off these movies, Bolt is the one I always forget about, though I have seen it. It just isn't that memorable to me.]

Excuse me, I climbed the North Mountain, survived a frozen heart, and saved you from my ex-boyfriend, so... you know, I'm coming.
46. Frozen 2 (2019)
(395 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 64
Fans: BleuPanda (#37)
Haters: Holden 20/21, Daniel 53/58
Fun Fact: Elsa is the first Disney royal to have her face on in-movie currency.

Time to hitch your wagon to a song. 'Cause a song's the one and only thing that will take you over the rainbow to the land where music is king.
45. Melody Time (1948)
(395.4 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 69
Fans: whuntva (#20)
Haters: Petri 57/57, FrankLotion 54/58, Daniel 54/58, BleuPanda 54/58
Fun Fact: Originally conceived as a showcase of American tall tales, only Johnny Appleseed and Pecos Bill made it into the final film. The American Legends concept would reach fruition in the 2000 VHS compilation of that name, which featured the Johnny Appleseed segment among various other shorts.
Last edited by whuntva on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Bolt deserves a bit better than that! Though I somehow also agree with your statement of it being completely forgettable when trying to remember the Disney canon...
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Just so you know whuntva...there are no ties (I helped with the spreadsheet) they just round up to the same whole number, they aren’t actually tied.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

It seems like I have the lowest #1, but that was to be expected. I know many people dislike Brother Bear. I haven't seen it in years, but I have only fond memories of it, from watching it when I was young.

The low placement for The Black Cauldron did surprise me. I always thought it was seen as an atypical, but good movie, but apparently I'm wrong.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Holden wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:33 pm Just so you know whuntva...there are no ties (I helped with the spreadsheet) they just round up to the same whole number, they aren’t actually tied.
Noted and fixed. The order was correct however.

With that settled, let's continue...

First, to make the magic begin, you wiggle your nose, and you tickle your chin. Now close your eyes, and cross your heart, and presto! - breakfast, à la carte.
44. The Aristocats (1970)
(400.3 Points | 11 Votes)
Metascore: 66
Fans: mileswide (#12)
Haters: whuntva 58/58, Schuttelbirne 28/30
Fun Fact: In 1910, a family of cats in Paris really did inherit a large fortune.

I never thought my dad would be my best friend.
43. Meet the Robinsons (2007)
(409.2 Points | 7 Votes)
Metascore: 61
Fans: Daniel (#25)
Haters: Petri 55/57
Fun Fact: This was the first production of Walt Disney Animation Studios under that name.

I got your four basic food groups! Beans, bacon, whisky and lard.
42. Atlantis the Lost Empire (2001)
(409.5 Points | 8 Votes)
Metascore: 52
Fans: Petri (#21)
Haters: The_Claw 53/58
Fun Fact: Linguist Marc Okrand helped create the Atlantean dialect. He had previously worked to create Klingon and Vulcan for Star Trek.

I didn't make it all the way through third grade for nothing.
41. The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
(413.5 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 70
Fans: whuntva (#32)
Haters: None
Fun Fact: This was the first all-digital animated film. The CAPS digital production team, which would become a defining feature of Disney films for the rest of the '90's, was created just for this movie, giving the coloring that distinctive sheen.

It's - It's no use, Bianca. Maybe Rufus the cat was right. Wh-what can two little mice do?
40. The Rescuers (1977)
(416.8 Points | 8 Votes)
Metascore: 74
Fans: mileswide (#13)
Haters: Schuttelbirne 29/30
Fun Fact: This was the last Disney film to have the touch of Disney's "Nine Old Men", elite animators who had been with Disney since Snow White.
Last edited by whuntva on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Look at you! Glowing like a solar fire. You're something special, Jim. You're gonna rattle the stars, you are!
39. Treasure Planet (2002)
(435.5 Points | 7 Votes)
Fans: Petri (#16)
Fun Fact: Jim Hawkins keeps a Stitch doll on his bookshelf, in reference to the Disney film released earlier that same year.

You know, Fantasia was meant to be a perpetual work in progress. Every time you went to see it, you'd experience some new pieces along with some old familiar favorites. But that idea fell by the wayside, until now.
38. Fantasia 2000 (1999)
(436.5 Points | 6 Votes)
Metascore: 59
Fans: whuntva (#29)
Fun Fact: The "Carnival of the Animals" segment was animated by Disney legend Joe Grant. It was believed he did so as a joke.

I'm bad, and that's good! I will never be good, and that's not bad!
37. Wreck-it Ralph (2012)
(441.4 Points | 8 Votes)
Metascore: 72
Fans: Holden (#12)
Fun Fact: According to Alan Tudyk, his agent told Disney he could do an Ed Wynn impression without actually verifying it beforehand. Needless to say, he pulled it off.

You can’t marry a man you just met.
36. Frozen (2013)
(441.5 Points | 10 Votes)
Metascore: 75
Fans: Bonnielaurel (#6)
Fun Fact: Frozen was the first Disney Canon film to win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars. All previous wins in the category were in collaboration with PIXAR.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Ralph Breaks the Internet over the original? Weird...
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

And below the hilt, in letters of gold, were written these words: 'Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil is rightwise king born of England.'
35. The Sword in the Stone (1963)
(443.2 Points | 9 Votes)
Metascore: 61
Fans: Bonnielaurel (#13), Daniel (#13)
Haters: mileswide 21/22
Fun Fact: This is the first Disney film to have songs composed by the Sherman Brothers. One year later, they would contribute to and win an Oscar for another notable Disney film...Mary Poppins!

For a true hero isn't measured by the size of his strength, but by the strength of his heart.
34. Hercules (1997)
(452.6 Points | 10 Votes)
Fans: Miguel (#3), Holden (#8)
Haters: whuntva 52/58
Fun Fact: Although the film is set in Greece, it uses the Roman "Hercules" for its main character's name instead of the authentic Greek "Heracles".

If you were asked to choose the most fabulous character in English literature, who would it be? Robin Hood? King Arthur? Becky Sharp? Sherlock Holmes? Oliver Twist, perhaps? Well, any one of them would be an excellent choice. Still, for the most fabulous character of all, I would nominate... a toad - J. Thaddeus Toad, Esq.
33. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)
(453.9 Points | 6 Votes)
Fans: Daniel (#16)
Fun Fact: Supposedly, the only reason these two stories (Wind in the Willows and Legend of Sleepy Hollow) were paired together is because both protagonists are "prone to disaster".

[Ichabod and Mr. Toad was the highest scoring package film. Despite again seeming like it was for "completionists only", said completionists ranked it much higher compared to the other films of the era, with none putting it in their bottom ten percent. A pleasant surprise to be sure.]

Do people assume all your problems got solved because a big strong man showed up?
32. Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018)
(456.1 Points | 8 Votes)
Metascore: 71
Fans: Miguel (#6)
Haters: whuntva 55/58
Fun Fact: This is the first time all the Disney Princesses have been included in the same movie. Although a scrapped concept from Fantasia 2000 would have done so first.

Rob? Tsk tsk tsk. That's a naughty word. We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it.
31. Robin Hood (1973)
(459.6 Points | 10 Votes)
Metascore: 57
Fans: prosecutorgodot (#8), mileswide (#9), Daniel (#9)
Fun Fact: The characters are all talking animals because many were conceived for the aborted Chanticleer project. Rather than waste the character models, Disney just decided to rework the whole story and start over.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Halfway point! Let's go!
Darling, forever is a long, long time, and time has a way of changing things.
30. The Fox and the Hound (1981)
(460.6 points | 9 votes)
Metascore: 65
Fans: mileswide (#11)
Fun Fact: Chief was supposed to die after his bridge fall, but Disney at this point did not have the heart to do so.

Hello, I am Baymax, your personal healthcare companion.
29. Big Hero 6 (2014)
(468.9 points | 9 votes)
Fans: kendon (#8)
Fun Fact: Despite being based on a Marvel comic, the film is not canon with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and does not receive the Marvel branding. Stan Lee does have a cameo, however.

Gotta hand it to you, Tiana. When you dream, you dream big. Just look at this place! Gonna be the crown jewel of the Cresent City.
28. The Princess and the Frog (2009)
(469.7 points | 9 votes)
Metascore: 73
Fans: kendon (#14)
Haters: Holden 21/21
Fun Fact: Tiana is left-handed, at the request of her voice actress Anika Noni Rose (herself a leftie).

Now, shall you deal with ME, O Prince - and all the powers of HELL!
27. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
(469.8 points | 10 votes)
Fans: prosecutorgodot (#6), Schuttelbirne (#9)
Fun Fact: The title character only has eighteen lines through the whole film. Her first line is not uttered until nineteen minutes in and her last is at thirty-nine minutes into a seventy-five minute movie.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I'm afraid you've gone and upset me. You know what happens when someone upsets me.
26. The Great Mouse Detective (1986)
(473.4 points | 7 votes)
Fans: Daniel (#11)
Fun Fact: When the film's title was changed from "Basil of Baker Street", some Disney staff thought it was too on-the-nose. This led to the writing of a joke memo where every other Disney movie had an overly specific title. This memo became a Jeopardy! category later.

Okay, okay, okay! But remember this, Pigeon, a human heart has only so much room for love and affection. When a baby moves in, the dog moves out.
25. Lady and the Tramp (1955)
(477 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 78
Fans: mileswide (#8), Holden (#9)
Haters: Miguel 20/20
Fun Fact: The famous spaghetti kiss was almost removed from the film because Walt Disney didn't like it at first.

[Lady and the Tramp is the lowest scoring film to make every ballot. It was a film everyone had seen, but nobody rushed to defend.]

No, I cannot knot.
24. Winnie the Pooh (2011)
(487.8 points | 7 votes)
Fans: kendon (#9)
Fun Fact: Owl and Christopher Robin return in this film, having been written out of all Pooh-related works for the past seven years.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

All this has happened before, and it will all happen again.
23. Peter Pan (1953)
(501.6 points | 12 votes)
Metascore: 76
Fans: Bonnielaurel (#8), Whuntva (#8), Petri (#10), Prosecutorgodot (#10)
Haters: kendon 37/39, Miguel 19/20
Fun Fact: Hans Conried voices both Captain Hook and Mr. Darling, keeping with tradition for most Peter Pan adaptations.

Now, you stay away from me. Like a very good wild man.
22. Tarzan (1999)
(507.9 points | 9 votes)
Metascore: 79
Fans: Schuttelbirne (#5), kendon (#7)
Fun Fact: Tony Hawk was used as a reference for animating Tarzan "skating" through the trees.

Quasi, take it from an old spectator. Life's not a spectator sport. If watchin' is all you're gonna do, then you're gonna watch your life go by without ya.
21. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
(515.1 points | 11 votes)
Fans: Miguel (#1), Schuttelbirne (#7)
Haters: Prosecutorgodot 35/36
Fun Fact: In the novel, Quasimodo is described as deaf from ringing the bells, which is not depicted in the film.

[I'm saving the Top 20 for tomorrow. I should have the rollout finished sometime tomorrow night. Hope you're having fun!]
Last edited by whuntva on Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Wonderful presentation, whuntva! A few surprises so far!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Let's continue our rollout with the Top 20! By process of elimination, you can probably guess what they are. But how about the order? here we go...

Just leave it to me, what a gown this will be...Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo!
20. Cinderella (1950)
(518.6 points | 12 votes)
Fans: Mileswide (#7), Miguel (#10), whuntva (#10)
Haters: Bonnielaurel 20/20, Schuttelbirne 30/30
Fun Fact: Ilene Woods beat out 309 other girls for the role of Cinderella. Allegedly, her friends sent her demo tapes to Disney without informing her.

[Cinderella was moderately popular with voters, but two last-place votes kept it from ranking too high. If this is the case, the rest of the Top 20 should be stacked!

'Ohana' means family. And family means nobody gets left behind...or forgotten.
19. Lilo and Stitch (2002)
(525.1 points | 8 votes)
Fans: Bleupanda (#8), FrankLotion (#8)
Fun Fact: This was the first animated feature film ever to be set in Hawaii.

I've been looking out of a window for eighteen years, dreaming about what I might feel like when those lights rise in the sky. What if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?
18. Tangled (2010)
(530.7 points | 10 votes)
Fans: Petri (#4)
Haters: prosecutorgodot 36/36
Fun Fact: Kristin Bell and Idina Menzel both auditioned for Rapunzel. They would land gigs in Frozen three years later.

My only true love, darling. I live for furs. I worship furs! After all, is there a woman in all this wretched world who doesn't?
17. 101 Dalmatians (1961)
(531.6 points | 12 votes)
Metascore: 83
Fans: Franklotion (#6), Miguel (#8), kendon (#10)
Fun Fact: Dodie Smith wrote the novel on which the film was based in 1956, with the hope Walt Disney would buy the film rights.

I'm sorry, but you've thrown off the Emperor's groove.
16. The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
(533 points | 10 votes)
Metascore: 70
Fans: prosecutorgodot (#4), Daniel (#4), Holden (#6)
Fun Fact: This was originally conceived as Kingdom of the Sun, a more dramatic film with Sting as composer. Mark Dindal was sent to rework the film after it initially tested poorly, resulting in the film we have today.

[I love Emperor's New Groove, but seeing it rank this high was a surprise for me. It seems to have surged in popularity only recently, though for good reason. But I still didn't think it was known enough to land in the Top 20.]
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Cinderella was the film most negatively impacted by my recent rewatch - it felt like 75% of the film was filler involving shrill mice.

On the opposite end of Cinderella for my rewatch was Lilo & Stitch - Disney toyed around with more mature themes during their output from the early 2000s, but this one found the perfect balance. The relationship between Lilo and Nani feels like their most human and real to me, while the more colorful alien plotline adds some light-hearted elements that don't detract like they do in the Renaissance-on films (with Notre Dame being perhaps the biggest offender with the gargoyles). I'm actually surprised it didn't do better - I wonder if the comparative lack of votes might have hurt it this high up?

I'll never understand how Frozen was such a big deal while Tangled felt largely overlooked while being slightly better in nearly every category (besides, I guess, having a big, inescapable number - which I think the backlash against has caused Frozen to lose favor despite still being a pretty good film). On my rewatch, I was surprised at how consistently strong the screenplay and characters are - Gothel might be the most subtly effective villain in the Disney canon. Meanwhile, the funny animal characters are legitimately great.

I'm happy to see Emperor's New Groove do well - while it might lack the artistry of some of their biggest hits, it was effective at being a purely comedic film.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

If you wear a dress and have an animal sidekick, you're a princess.
15. Moana (2016)
(552.3 points | 10 votes)
Metascore: 81
Fans: kendon (#3), BleuPanda (#5), Holden (#5), Miguel (#5)
Fun Fact: This was the first film ever to have been dubbed into Tahitian.

Now all of China knows you're here!
14. Mulan (1998)
(557.1 points | 9 votes)
Fans: prosecutorgodot (#1), kendon (#5), BleuPanda (#9)
Fun Fact: Christina Aguilera's first US single release was her cover of "Reflection". As such, this movie can be credited with launching her career as an adult pop star.

[I might have to rewatch Mulan. I remember liking it, but a new watch as an adult may have me loving it.]

Ariel, listen to me. The human world, it's a mess. Life under the sea is better than anything they've got up there.
13. The Little Mermaid (1989)
(579.5 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 88
Fans: FrankLotion (#7), Daniel (#10), The_Claw (#10)
Haters: mileswide 22/22, Bonnielaurel 19/20, Miguel 18/20
Fun Fact: Ariel is Disney's first redheaded princess. The decision was made to distinguish her from the character of Madison in Splash.

[The Little Mermaid was one of the more polarizing films. It had many fans and was listed on every ballot, but also had notable haters keeping it from being as high as it possibly could have been.]

Jafar, Jafar, he's our man! If he can't do it...GREAT!
12. Aladdin (1992)
(587.5 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 86
Fans: Bonnielaurel (#2), Holden (#4), whuntva (#6), Miguel (#7), Schuttelbirne (#8), FrankLotion (#9), The_Claw (#9), mileswide (#10)
Fun Fact: Patrick Stewart regretted turning down the role of Jafar due to conflicts with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Though he had been offered the role before Johnathan Freeman.

Now, Pooh was not the sort to give up easily. When he put his mind to honey, he stuck to it.
11. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
(588.7 points | 7 votes)
Metascore: N/A (falls below the required number of reviews for a rating, though the three listed on Metacritic are mostly positive)
Fans: Daniel (#5), kendon (#6)
Fun Fact: This film is three shorts compiled together, and the first two were completed with Walt's supervision. The middle segment "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day" won the Oscar for Best Animated Short, the final Oscar to be received by Walt Disney.

[Many Adventures was the least watched film in the Top 10. Though those who saw it absolutely loved it. The film placed in the high end of every ballot it placed on, with all completionists ranking it in their Top 25.]
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

And at last, we arrive to the Top 10. The Top 8 were the ones which ran away with the poll, except #5 which surged late. But the scores for these films do not lie. It was impressive to see how they advanced.

Curiouser and curiouser!
10. Alice in Wonderland (1951)
(609.6 points | 12 votes)
Metascore: 68
Fans: mileswide (#4), prosecutorgodot (#7), Bonnielaurel (#7), whuntva (#9), Petri (#9)
Fun Fact: Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the talking flowers, and the Tulgey Wood are all elements carried over from Through the Looking-Glass rather than Alice in Wonderland Proper. Though there were stage plays which integrated these elements before Disney.
Praise: "Of course, Alice in Wonderland has long been the Disney film of choice in the realm of drug cinema, but this radical and ridiculous trip through a bombastically colored otherworld imparts a balanced wisdom that goes beyond bong-rip philosophizing." (Chris Cabin, Slant)

That's right, 'Red Wood'. With a space in the middle. Wood that is red.
9. Zootopia (2016)
(631.6 points | 11 votes)
Metascore: 78
Fans: Miguel (#2), Petri (#2), kendon (#4), Holden (#7), prosecutorgodot (#9), FrankLotion (#10)
Fun Fact: The only types of mammals not featured in this movie are primates, aquatic mammals, avian mammals (e.g. bats and flying squirrels), and animals which have been domesticated by humans.
Praise: "As crazy as the design of the world is, Zootopia ends up feeling like a genuine place. There's a vibrancy to it that runs through everything from the pace of the storytelling to the background details of the world in which the story takes place." (Drew McWeeny, Hitfix)

Remember that you come of a proud race. Why, you're a.... a pachyderm, and pachyderms don't cry. What does crying get you, anyhow? Nothing but the hiccups!
8. Dumbo (1941)
(665 points | 11 votes)
Metascore: 96
Fans: mileswide (#2), prosecutorgodot (#3), whuntva (#5), The_Claw (#5), Petri (#6), Daniel (#8)
Haters: kendon 36/39
Fun Fact: Dumbo is the first and only Disney lead character to have no spoken dialogue.
Praise: "With its genuinely cute hero and appealing storyline, Dumbo's exactly right for younger children but not too milk-soppy for anyone over eight. Indispensible." (Kim Newman, Empire)

Magic mirror, on the wall -– who is the fairest one of all?
7. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
(678.4 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 95
Fans: The_Claw (#1), Bonnielaurel (#1), Schuttelbirne (#4), mileswide (#5), Petri (#5), Daniel (#7), whuntva (#7), BleuPanda (#10), Holden (#10)
Fun Fact: Snow White was the first film ever to print a soundtrack album.
Praise: "The word genius is easily used and has been cheapened, but when it is used to describe Walt Disney, reflect that he conceived of this film, in all of its length, revolutionary style and invention, when there was no other like it--and that to one degree or another, every animated feature made since owes it something." (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times)

hat you're going to see are the designs and pictures and stories that music inspired in the minds and imaginations of a group of artists. In other words, these are not going to be the interpretations of trained musicians, which I think is all to the good.
6. Fantasia (1940)
(679.8 points | 10 votes)
Metascore: 96
Fans: BleuPanda (#1), whuntva (#2), FrankLotion (#2), The_Claw (#3)
Fun Fact: Roy Chapman Andrews and Barnum Brown were two of the paleontological experts consulted for the "Rite of Spring" segment. While their science is a bit dated by today's standards, it was the most up-to-date for the time.
Praise: "Fearless mix of classical music and animation, the one movie to satisfy that oft-misused adjective 'unique.''" (Mike Clark, USA Today)
Last edited by whuntva on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

That's an excellent idea. I'm sure you wouldn't mind showing me your coils, would you, Kaa?
5. The Jungle Book (1967)
(703.3 points | 12 votes)
Metascore: 65
Fans: Daniel (#1), Petri (#1), prosecutorgodot (#2), mileswide (#3), bonnielaurel (#3), BleuPanda (#6), The_Claw (#8), Miguel (#9), Schuttelbirne (#10)
Fun Fact: King Louie is an orangutan, but orangutans are not found in India. Surprisingly, the remake fixes this by changing him to a Gigantopithecus, a prehistoric giant ape which was found in India.
Praise: "The animal kingdom came into its own yesterday, for it is the wise, subtle and often hilarious animation of these critters, and their ever-so-human stamp of guiles and frailties, that make the picture so delightfully unstartling." (Howard Thompson, New York Times)

Well, there's the usual things. Flowers, chocolates, promises you don't intend to keep.
4. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
(710.8 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 95
Fans: Daniel (#2), Holden (#2), Schuttelbirne (#2), whuntva (#3), Miguel (#3), FrankLotion (#5), The_Claw (#6), BleuPanda (#7)
Fun Fact: Howard Ashman put his heart and soul into the movie, finishing all the songs before dying of AIDS eight months before the premiere. At the end of the film reads this dedication: "To our friend Howard, who gave a mermaid her voice and a beast his soul, we will be forever grateful." Howard won a posthumous Oscar for his work on the title song.
Praise: "Disney's new full-length animated feature, Beauty and the Beast, is more than a return to classic form, it's a delightfully satisfying modern fable, a near-masterpiece that draws on the sublime traditions of the past while remaining completely in sync with the sensibility of its time." (Hal Hinson, The Washington Post)

[Beauty and the Beast held strong and even led for a time despite not receiving a single #1 vote. This says something about its staying power.]

Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it.
3. The Lion King (1994)
(724.8 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 88
Fans: Holden (#1), kendon (#2), FrankLotion (#3), BleuPanda (#3), Bonnielaurel (#5), prosecutorgodot (#5), Schuttelbirne (#6), The_Claw (#7), Petri (#8)
Haters: mileswide 20/22
Fun Fact: The wildebeest stampede scene alone took three years to animate. A whole new computer program had to be written to animate each individual animal without having any animation blurs.
Praise: "More than any other Disney delight, The Lion King involves our full emotions; we're biting fingernails one minute and laughing the next at characters who deserve their spots on toy store shelves." (Steve Persall, Tampa Bay Times)

[Lion King was the most recent film to make every ballot. Once the highest-grossing animated film, this is hardly surprising.]
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Very happy to see that my #1 favourite, The Jungle Book, made the Top 5.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

The Top 2 consists of two of Disney's earliest, yet still most acclaimed, works. To have them be in the Top Two about eighty years on is impressive and shows how masterful Disney was at his craft. #2 was the leader after eight ballots, but towards the end of the poll, the eventual winner was clear thanks to some completionist voters coming in.
Little Puppet made of pine. Awake, the gift of life is thine!
2. Pinocchio (1940)
(756.9 points | 10 votes)
Metascore: 99
Fans: FrankLotion (#1), mileswide (#1), The_Claw (#2), Schuttelbirne (#3), BleuPanda (#4), Bonnielaurel (#4), whuntva (#4), Daniel (#6), Petri (#7)
Fun Fact: Mel Blanc provides only a single hiccup for his voice credit. I hope they paid him for his time; it's hard to do a hiccup convincingly.
Praise: "Perhaps the most perfect of the great Disney animated features-the most expressively animated, the least pretentious, the best balanced between horror and joy, adventure and comedy." (Dave Kehr, Chicago Tribune)

Which means our #1 favorite Disney Animated Canon film is...

It is Man. He is here again. There are many this time. We must go deep into the forest. Hurry! Follow me!
1. Bambi (1942)
(776.2 points | 13 votes)
Metascore: 91
Fans: kendon (#1), whuntva (#1), BleuPanda (#2), Daniel (#3), Holden (#3), Petri (#3), FrankLotion (#4), The_Claw (#4), mileswide (#6)
Haters: Bonnielaurel 18/20
Fun Fact: "Man" was ranked as the twentieth greatest villain on the AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains list, making "Man" the only character not appearing on screen to rank.
Praise: "This honest, non-sugar-coated approach to the hard truths of life, however, is what gives Bambi its lasting emotional power, and makes it stand apart, not only from Disney's cartoons, but from virtually all others as well." (Michael Scheinfeld, TV Guide)

Bambi was a big winner, hanging around but again only pulling away on the last two ballots. It was helped by the completionists, where every single voter who placed votes for all 58 films placed it in their Top 10. As Walt's personal favorite film, it seems fitting this was the big winner.

Thank you once again for voting! I had fun with this poll, and I hope you had fun revisiting these old movies. I love doing these more niche polls because the results are so interesting. So thanks again for your contribution. Good job!
Daniel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Daniel »

Thanks, whuntva! That was a lot of fun! Pleasantly surprised by the #1 movie. One of my favourites.

Any interest in hosting another survey again sometime soon? Top Pixar movies, perhaps? Top horror movies for the month of October, maybe? Top war movies for November? Top Christmas movies for December?
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I’m going to echo pretty much everything Daniel said, thanks for doing this poll Whuntva and I’d love to do another one in this vein!

Also I’m pleased that we all agree that Chicken Little sucks ass.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I think a Pixar poll would be really fun with the same system. I know there's less films, but I think it would still work!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I kinda just want to do a general animated film poll now.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Thanks whuntva!

I agree that another poll like this would be nice, be it Pixar, Ghibli or all animated movies.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I'm not feeling up for hosting another poll right now due to some stuff going on in my personal life. But anyone who wants to pitch these ideas can.

I haven't even voted in the 50's poll or albums poll although I am working on lists for both. It was a miracle this poll even got off the ground. So I am pleased with how all of you liked this poll and you may host it however you want. I would love an animation poll as much as the next guy, but am not in the best position to host it. Sorry.

Though if you wish to join the Mouse Madness Discord, we are having a Ducktales watch party tomorrow. Here's the link.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Thanks for running this whuntva.

I don't really get the love for Bambi, but alright.

That comment about "horror" in Pinocchio made me remember that that movie was pretty scary. The drawing style adds to it, too.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Thank you whuntva! Great roll out and great results.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) almost in top 10 was a biggest surprise for me (a pleasant one) and The Emperor's New Groove at #16 (not a fan of the movie but I can understand why some love it (the high placement still surprised me)
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Pity you won't be doing another poll whuntva as you clearly put a lot of love and research into this, especially the Fun Facts, but fully understandable, hope things work themselves out.

Pinocchio feels like it's always been part of my life- I called my childhood cat Figaro, one of my AT songs samples I Got No Strings (namely, Freedom of Speech by Immortal Technique)- so 4-year-old me is jumping up and down with excitement at it reaching the podium (present-day me is doing the same, to be honest)
All I got inside is vacancy!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

So I decided to play around with the spreadsheet, and decided to see how deleting someone's list would impact the results. So below I have included the film you gave the largest boost too (placement wise) and the film you held back the most. The number in parenthesis is the amount of places your list boosted or removed from the films score. Example: If there is a +2, that means that you alone boosted that film two places, and without your list, a film in 20th would be in 22nd.

A reminder that voters with fewer ranked films have a lower weight, so the numbers will be less extreme. Additionally, for those with lower votes, your impacted films may not even be films you voted for, a by-product of the formula. For example, if you didn't vote for a film that otherwise got relatively low scores, then if you are removed, it would fall without the boost of your average ranking.

mileswide
Boosted: Lady and the Tramp (+2)
Held Back: 101 Dalmations, The Hunchback of Notre Dam, The Great Mouse Detective, Sleeping Beauty (-1)

prosecutorgodot
Boosted: Emperor's New Groove, Sleeping Beauty (+5)
Held Back: Tangled, Big Hero 6, Bolt (-3)

whuntva
Boosted: Melody Time (+9)
Held Back: Ralph Breaks the Internet, Hercules (-5)

bonnielaurel
Boosted: Aladdin, The Emperor's New Groove, Frozen (+1)
Held Back: The Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmations, Wreck-it Ralph (-1)

FrankLotion
Boosted: Ralph Breaks the Internet (+6)
Held Back: Treasure Planet (-4)

Schüttelbirne
Boosted: Brother Bear (+6)
Held Back: Big Hero 6 (-3)

Miguel
Boosted: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (+2)
Held Back: Tangled, Tarzan, Peter Pan, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (-1)

Daniel
Boosted: The Aristocats (+9)
Held Back: Hercules, Treasure Planet (-6)

Holden
Boosted: Melody Time (+3)
Held Back: The Princess and the Frog (-3)

BleuPanda
Boosted: Sleeping Beauty, The Princess and the Frog (+6)
Held Back: Cinderella, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (-4)

kendon
Boosted: Big Hero 6 (+3)
Held Back: Three Caballeros (-4)

The_Claw
Boosted: Lady and the Tramp (+5)
Held Back: The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Robin Hood, Brother Bear (-4)

Petri
Boosted: The Fox and the Hound (+6)
Held Back: Robin Hood, Three Caballeros (-5)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

I watched Frozen II (the only movie in this poll I hadn't seen before) two weeks ago and liked it (a top 25 but maybe not a top 20 movie, so the final position would have been almost the same than it was). So I'm a bit surprised (not so much) to see its low ranking. A darker, a more feminist, a more nature story than an average Disney movie. At least it was better than the first one of the series. The songs were again those over the top Eurovision ultimate power ballads (did Elsa change a costume during a chorus in one of the songs?) and there were A LOT of songs and singing but I thought the main songs were better than in Frozen.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Really sorry to spam here, but Mouse Madness is now in the finals:

https://strawpoll.com/9zzyv34ac

Any more votes would be appreciated. Deadline is Sunday.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”