General Movie Discussions

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

General Movie Discussions

Post by BleuPanda »

Hey everyone, I started working on a few films projects recently. My New Year's Resolution was to try and see 2 new movies a week and write reviews, and I've been pretty good at it so far. I also found the energy to start making videos again! I made my first in 6 months, covering Hausu (that odd film I got into our 70s film list - check it out to see why you need to watch this movie)!

Figured I'd share it here, but maybe we could use a current movie discussion topic? This board seems limited to just projects, and providing a couple weekly reviews could help keep discussion active.

Here are my reviews so far (I'll be seeing How To Train Your Dragon 3 and Cold War this week):
https://foolfantastic.com/musings-on-media/

And my Hausu video:
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Re: General Movie Discussions

Post by letmeintomyzone »

What is your opinion on the Oscar contenders, BP? My ranking

PICTURE

ROMA (deserves win)
The Favourite (worthy nominee)
A Star is Born (worthy nominee)
Black Klansman (worthy nominee)
Black Panther (meh nominee)
Green Book (awful nominee)
Vice (awful nominee)
Bohemian Rhapsody (one of the worst Picture nominees of the last 10 years)

DIRECTOR

Cuaron (deserves win)
Yorgos (good surprise)
Lee (feels too little, too late)
Pavel (not a fan)
McKay (awful 2nd nod)

ACTOR

Dafoe (good surprise nod)
Cooper (solid performance)
Bale (did best with awkward material)
Malek (genuinely one of the worst winners of the last 20 years)
Mortensen (you're breaking mah balls x200)

ACTRESS

Aparico (deserves win)
Colman (deserves win)
McCarthy (terrific performance)
Close (overdue, meh film)
Gaga (good performance)

SUPPORTING ACTOR

Grant (deserves win)
Driver (decent nod, won't give him win)
Elliott (same feelings as Driver)
Ali (if he deserves a win, it'll be for putting up with Nick)
Rockwell (filler nod)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Weisz (deserves win)
King (deserves win)
Stone (solid performance, but already has Oscar)
DeTavira (no real feelings)
Adams (scenery-chewing x100)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Sorry for somehow missing this. Well, for the best picture category, I think I'm going to do a ranking of my top 25 favorite films for my next set of videos, so I'll save it for that. Now that the ceremony has finished, I do have a few thoughts:

Green Book winning is a travesty but not as bad as if Bohemian Rhapsody took it. Green Book still falls in line with Academy taste, as merely decent as it is, it's just annoying how 'safe' of a choice it is. Bohemian Rhapsody really doesn't seem to have deserved any of the awards it received.

Colman and Spider-Man winning were the highlights of the night for me (perhaps along with Gaga's "Shallow" performance). Colman's acceptance speech was one of those beautiful things, someone who seemed genuinely shocked to be there. It was fantastic to see her in contrast to the character she played, how down to earth she is. Additionally, thank god they avoided awarding Close because they 'had to' or something. Spider-Man was just nice to see a film that pushed the boundaries get something.

In the end, a lot of my favorites for the year weren't there - Ethan Hawke and Toni Collette easily gave my favorite lead performances of the year (Colman really should have been in supporting) for First Reformed and Hereditary, and those got nothing. Eighth Grade was also my favorite original screenplay but not even a nod.

Everything else was about as expected. Green Book really soured an otherwise strong, diverse ceremony.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Oh, I also wrote two new reviews this weekend:

Cold War:
https://foolfantastic.com/2019/02/24/re ... -war-2018/

And I decided to try out my new mic for my camera and do a video review for HTTYD 3:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Here's my top 10 for last year:
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:Here's my top 10 for last year:
Good list. Is that you narrating?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

bootsy wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Here's my top 10 for last year:
Good list. Is that you narrating?

Yep.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Nifty review videos, Bleu. My main opinion, regarding your Best of 2018 video specifically, is that the editing cuts are pretty fast-paced and choppy compared to your narration, which is far slower overall. Not saying one speed is better than the other, but I think a smoother cooperation between the two would service the pace. Obviously, the list itself is excellent. And your commentary is on-point, could service from a deeper dive too!

I made this little list earlier this month for fun. Being in LA, I watch far too many films for my own good, but it's the city's fault for providing me with such a diverse catalog. Trying to do one of these on a seasonal basis.

https://twitter.com/STorrelio/status/11 ... 5501462529
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Setherex wrote:Nifty review videos, Bleu. My main opinion, regarding your Best of 2018 video specifically, is that the editing cuts are pretty fast-paced and choppy compared to your narration, which is far slower overall. Not saying one speed is better than the other, but I think a smoother cooperation between the two would service the pace. Obviously, the list itself is excellent. And your commentary is on-point, could service from a deeper dive too!

Editing has been tough. For the Best of 2018 video, I was using the trailers and they didn't actually provide enough material...should have done video introductions before diving into footage, but I'll know that for next time.

The other issue with editing is that you can only show so much of a clip before youtube automatically detects and blocks things. What I'm doing is protected under fair use, but companies have up to a month to respond if something is flagged. Unfortunately, that means a lot of awkward chopping...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Here's my review of Us:
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:Here's my review of Us:
Good review. You really should do a deep dive into this movie with spoilers. This movie you almost have to.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

My video on Ratatouille has finally been freed from Youtube's copyright claim system!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I checked out Pet Sematary and Shazam this week!

Pet Sematary:
https://letterboxd.com/foolfantastic/fi ... tary-2019/

Shazam:
https://letterboxd.com/foolfantastic/film/shazam/
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Hellboy, which was a disgrace to its source material:
https://letterboxd.com/foolfantastic/film/hellboy-2019/

Missing Link, which deserves to be doing much better at the box office, even if a bit lighter than Laika's usual fare:
https://letterboxd.com/foolfantastic/fi ... link-2019/
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Just saw Avengers: Endgame with some friends and i'm telling you man, it's one of the best superhero films i've seen and one of the year's best films so far. I would go deeper but I don't wanna be that guy to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet :whistle:
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

Cold Butterfly wrote:Just saw Avengers: Endgame with some friends and i'm telling you man, it's one of the best superhero films i've seen and one of the year's best films so far. I would go deeper but I don't wanna be that guy to spoil it for people who haven't seen it yet :whistle:
Some plot holes aside, I find Endgame very satisfying! Great character-driven moments are something MCU excels at and I was genuinely moved by all of Natasha's scenes.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I was not a fan of Endgame. For a three hour movie concluding an epic series, it was surprisingly light on action sequences and interesting set pieces (the most-used setting is a generic modern office building). I also found the time travel dynamics to be confusing and not well-thought out. I enjoyed Infinity War far more, which made better use of its expansive cast and scope to deliver an entertaining movie with multiple plotlines. When I see the ecsatic reception Endgame is receiving, I feel like I watched a different movie.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I understand people's gripes about Endgame being confusing, not making sense, messy, ruined Thanos' character, etc. As a film, it's not the best. Though I do think critiquing time-space travel in fiction is like beating a dead horse.
As for me, I really enjoyed it. It's just a really fun popcorn movie. Comedy hits hard, emotional scenes hit hard. My least favorite part of the film was actually the ending action scene, where I was kinda just waiting for the movie to end. I see Endgame as the capstone to the past ten years of the MCU, and a great send off for the original Avengers. From this perspective, Endgame is a darn good final piece of the puzzle.
Hopefully it beats Avatar's box office intake, because I like this movie more than that one.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

For what it's worth I prefer Infinity War to Endgame. I enjoyed Endgame but I'm a sucker for the good guys not always winning or some conflict with the good guys. Which does everyone prefer: Infinity War or Endgame. Also where does everyone rank this compared to the entire MCU movies.
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

I prefer the fight scenes in Infinity War. Those fight sequences with the Black Order are fantastic and Ebony Maw, for once, seems like a formidable opponent for the Avengers.

Best MCU movie: Winter Soldier
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Pauler wrote:I prefer the fight scenes in Infinity War. Those fight sequences with the Black Order are fantastic and Ebony Maw, for once, seems like a formidable opponent for the Avengers.

Best MCU movie: Winter Soldier
Agreed here.
Smith35
Superunknown

Post by Smith35 »

My favorite movie clip of all time:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxn8oIPT444[/youtube]
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I've obviously been looking up Nirvana stuff during the anniversary period of Cobain's death. I was a little surprised to see this come up, about the current Batman film:
Streams of Nirvana’s ‘Something in the Way’ Surge After ‘The Batman’ Release

The Batman director Matt Reeves has previously stated Kurt Cobain inspired his iteration of Bruce Wayne.

“When I write, I listen to music, and as I was writing the first act, I put on Nirvana’s 'Something in the Way,’” Reeves told Empire in December. “That’s when it came to me that, rather than make Bruce Wayne the playboy version we’ve seen before, there’s another version who had gone through a great tragedy and become a recluse. So I started making this connection to Gus Van Sant’s Last Days, and the idea of this fictionalized version of Kurt Cobain being in this kind of decaying manor.”

https://loudwire.com/nirvana-something- ... n-release/
ritayong
The Only Way Is Up

Post by ritayong »

I found that this song stuck very well with the atmosphere of the film.
Raam
Superunknown

Post by Raam »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 am As for me, I really enjoyed it. It's just a really fun popcorn movie. Comedy hits hard, emotional scenes hit hard. My least favorite part of the film was actually the ending action scene, where I was kinda just waiting for the movie to end. I see Endgame as the capstone to the past ten years of the MCU, and a great send off for the original Avengers. From this perspective, Endgame is a darn good final piece of the puzzle.GB WhatsApp download
What about the Hulk character? from Avengers to Avengers Endgame, his character as over-aggresive & powerful is dropped so much after Bruce managed to keep his identify in the hulk form. I don't like this part in the movie.
And the ending as you said, yeah, it was a little sad, especially Tony Stark.
Last edited by Raam on Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Raam wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:27 am
prosecutorgodot wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 am As for me, I really enjoyed it. It's just a really fun popcorn movie. Comedy hits hard, emotional scenes hit hard. My least favorite part of the film was actually the ending action scene, where I was kinda just waiting for the movie to end. I see Endgame as the capstone to the past ten years of the MCU, and a great send off for the original Avengers. From this perspective, Endgame is a darn good final piece of the puzzle.
What about the Hulk character? from Avengers to Avengers Endgame, his character as over-aggresive & powerful is dropped so much after Bruce managed to keep his identify in the hulk form. I don't like this part in the movie.
And the ending as you said, yeah, it was a little sad, especially Tony Stark.
The Hulk thing is a subversion of expectations that I really enjoyed, but everyone might not feel that way. I think in the real world that does happen - like sometimes it just takes a simple lifestyle change for your entire perspective to change.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I'm trying to remember the last time that a movie has had such an extravagant disaster of a release as Don't Worry Darling. The press tour has felt like a weird conspiracy to make everyone hate it ahead of time, and the reviews are now suggesting a total flop. Really disappointing after Booksmart was such an unlikely gem - at least it sounds like Florence Pugh still manages despite the material.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

My friends and I have an entire chat devoted to the disaster that is this rollout! Like Morbious, memes and internet chatter aren't enough to make a movie a smash hit. I have to say it wasn't super inspired by the general premise, but hoped like Booksmart it would overcome its premise.
Raam
Superunknown

Post by Raam »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:23 pm the reviews are now suggesting a total flop.
Sometimes, most of the times in my case, it's better to watch the movie than to read or listen others
reviews. I remember, one time, i wanted to watch the movie "San Andreas". But the reviews i got from others were not good. And i didn't watch that movie for months thinking that it's not good.
Atlast, after months, i watched it and found it very good. I didn't understand why people were badmouthing it. After that day, i stopped listening to other reviews.
You never now which movie can interest you.
bigjim
I'm New Here

Post by bigjim »

Raam wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:28 am
BleuPanda wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:23 pm the reviews are now suggesting a total flop.
Sometimes, most of the times in my case, it's better to watch the movie than to read or listen others
reviews. I remember, one time, i wanted to watch the movie "San Andreas". But the reviews i got from others were not good. And i didn't watch that movie for months thinking that it's not good.
Atlast, after months, i watched it and found it very good. I didn't understand why people were badmouthing it. After that day, i stopped listening to other reviews.
You never now which movie can interest you.
I absolutely agree, every movie has its own story and philosophy, so a movie can be criticized by 9 people and loved by 1, and you never know if you will love it until you watch the movie ;)
I study astrology and this is my hobby. From the Leo compatibility chart, I noticed that the best match for Leo is Aries.
leyo01
Superunknown

Post by leyo01 »

Movies have been a beloved form of entertainment for over a century, and continue to captivate audiences of all ages and backgrounds. From Hollywood blockbusters to indie films, there is something for everyone in the world of cinema. Whether it's a thought-provoking drama, a thrilling action movie, or a heartwarming comedy, movies have the power to transport us to different worlds and evoke a wide range of emotions. anonymous instagram viewer

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”