Anime films I have seen

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Anime films I have seen

Post by StevieFan13 »

Warning in advance: I think this is almost entirely Studio Ghibli, but I'll see what I can remember watching (and I realize only knowing anime through Ghibli is like only knowing western animation through Disney - great stuff, but not a full picture).
- Spirited Away (contender to be one of my favorite films ever)
- Princess Mononoke
- Ponyo
- Porco Rosso
- Akira (1/3)
- Howl's Moving Castle
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Anime films I have seen

Post by babydoll »

You've only seen a third of Akira?! What's wrong with you? That, besides Princess Mononoke and Fantasia, is the culmination of animation.

Well, watch everything of Miyazaki's. The fact that you don't have My Neighbor Totoro on that list, an anime many actually consider to the best, is concerning.

Miyazaki is not equivalent to Studio Ghibli. Isao Takahata is also superb. Only Yesterday is marvelous. Just avoid Grave of the Fireflies; it's so much more bleak than Dancer in the Dark.

Satoshi Kon was a genius; four of the films he made was masterpieces. Paprika will remind you of a certain Leonardo DiCaprio/Marion Cotillard movie.

Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell is a classic of both anime and sci-fi. The Scarlett Johansson remake is being released later this year. The sequel is a masterpiece (another time I've used that term!), but it is difficult to get into.

I adore Neon Genesis Evangelion and The End of Evangelion, but that should NEVER be anyone's first anime series. But honestly, a much better television series than The Sopranos.

I've only seen the first two episodes of Cowboy Bebop, but I could tell that the show and I will have a fulfilling relationship. The soundtrack is also a must-listen and competed last year in the Moderately Acclaimed Albums tournament. Thanks for the nomination, BleuPanda!

Rouroni Kenshin and Ranma 1/2 are enjoyable series, even if they ran a bit too long.

This is clearly not even the entire beginning of anime, but it's all I can think of now.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I've heard of all of these! I love looking up new animation, so this is a good starting point (and, fun fact: Fantasia's my all-time favorite animated movie). Thanks!
I meant to get back to Akira and never had the time. Totoro is also a big priority.
And I've heard of Grave of the Fireflies...yeah, no. It sounds great, but it also sounds a little preachy and very, very bleak. Only Yesterday sounds good though.
I've also always wanted to see Tokyo Godfathers; a lot of people have said it's very good.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Grave of the Fireflies isn't preachy, it's just anti-war. But that's one of the very few movies to ever make me cry.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:Grave of the Fireflies isn't preachy, it's just anti-war. But that's one of the very few movies to ever make me cry.
Maybe someday I'll check it out, only if I have a few dog videos to pick me up afterwards.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I agree with babydoll's suggestions. My thoughts on them:

Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece, but that's one of the hardest films I've ever watched. Indeed, a cat (or a dog) comes in handy.

Cowboy Bebop is the one anime series that I absolutely recommend. The music is perfect, the characters are funny and charismatic and the show's sci-fi context remains realistic enough to be engaging and features mostly strong stories. A must-watch.

Evangelion is indeed a masterpiece too, but a much less accessible one. Indeed, it's not recommended as a point of entry into Japanese animation.

I've loved Ranma 1/2 as well (although it drags into more mediocre territory more than once), and I've also enjoyed Maison Ikkoku. Globally, works adapted from Rumiko Takahashi are generally pretty good.

Regarding Miyazaki and Takahata, not only their works at Ghibli are great, but their pre-Ghibli works are already fantastic. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Castle of Cagliostro, (the more childish) Panda! Go, Panda! or The Great Adventure of Horus, Prince of the Sun are all great films. Miyazaki's TV show Future Boy Conan is absolutely essential.

A piece of animation oldies from Japan I really love: The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon (on Wikipedia Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji) which is adapted from the tale of Susanoo and the Orochi serpent. I think it's a bit difficult to find, but totally worth it. The final fight is just mindblowing.

Oh, and Ghost in the Shell, of course. Mandatory ;) Mamoru Oshii also wrote (but didn't direct) Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, which is a masterpiece but is so desperate and pessimistic that, well, you gotta bring that cat or that dog back.

In more light-hearted works, I generally enjoy Mamoru Hosoda's works, namely The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars and Wolf Children, although I was slightly disappointed by his last one, The Boy and the Beast.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Anime movies I've seen (off the top of my head)...

Everything Miyazaki's directed...

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

A bunch of other Studio Ghibli movies...

Grave of the Fireflies
Only Yesterday
Whisper of the Heart
The Cat Returns
The Secret World of Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill

And then some other miscellaneous movies like...

Akira
Paprika
Summer Wars
The End of Evangelion
5 Centimeters Per Second
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It looks like I've seen 26 anime films; I'd also highly recommend Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion as essential works for people with any interest in film and television; they'd both be in the 9+ range.

Here's my ranking and score for the ones I've seen:
Spirited Away (10/10)
My Neighbor Totoro (9.8/10)
Princess Mononoke (9.8/10)
Grave of the Fireflies (9.6/10)
Akira (9.6/10)
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (9.1/10)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (9.1/10)
Perfect Blue (8.7/10)
Ghost in the Shell (8.6/10)
The End of Evangelion (8.5/10)
Castle in the Sky (8.3/10)
Only Yesterday (8.2/10)
Whisper of the Heart (8.1/10)
Paprika (8.1/10)
The Wind Rises (8/10)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (7.8/10)
Summer Wars (7.8/10)
Kiki's Delivery Service (7.5/10)
Howl's Moving Castle (7.4/10)
Tokyo Godfathers (7.3/10)
Porco Rosso (7.3/10)
Pom Poko (7.3/10)
Interstella 5555 (7.2/10)
Ponyo (7.2/10)
5 Centimeters per Second (6.6/10)
The Secret World of Arrietty (6.1/10)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Here's my top 40. So many great movies here (and Totoro is probably my #1 of all time).

1. となりのトトロ [My Neighbor Totoro]
2. 火垂るの墓 [Grave of the Fireflies]
3. もののけ姫 [Princess Mononoke]
4. 天空の城ラピュタ [Laputa: Castle in the Sky]
5. 耳をすませば [Whisper of the Heart]
6. 千と千尋の神隠し [Spirited Away]
7. Akira
8. パプリカ [Paprika]
9. ハウルの動く城 [Howl's Moving Castle]
10. おおかみこどもの雨と雪 [The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki]
11. 風立ちぬ [The Wind Rises]
12. この世界の片隅に [In This Corner of the World]
13. パーフェクト・ブルー [Perfect Blue]
14. かぐや姫の物語 [The Tale of the Princess Kaguya]
15. 借りぐらしのアリエッティ [The Secret World of Arrietty]
16. ルパン三世 カリオストロの城 [Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro]
17. 風の谷のナウシカ [Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind]
18. 君の名は。 [Your Name.]
19. ジョバンニの島 [Giovanni's Island]
20. 紅の豚 [Porco Rosso]
21. 崖の上のポニョ [Ponyo on the Cliff]
22. 思い出のマーニー [When Marnie Was There]
23. ムーミン谷の彗星 [Comet in Moominland]
24. 千年女優 [Millennium Actress]
25. 東京ゴッドファーザーズ [Tokyo Godfathers]
26. 魔女の宅急便 [Kiki's Delivery Service]
27. おもひでぽろぽろ [Only Yesterday]
28. サマーウォーズ [Summer Wars]
29. コクリコ坂から [From Up on Poppy Hill]
30. スチームボーイ [Steamboy]
31. ホーホケキョ となりの山田くん [My Neighbors the Yamadas]
32. ゲド戦記 [Tales From Earthsea]
33. 劇場版 カウボーイビバップ 天国の扉 [Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door]
34. 時をかける少女 [The Girl Who Leapt Through Time]
35. 猫の恩返し [The Cat Returns]
36. インターステラ 5555 [Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem]
37. メトロポリス [Metropolis]
38. 平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ [Pom Poko]
39. 海がきこえる
40. 攻殻機動隊 [Ghost in the Shell]
Emmablaker
Debut

Post by Emmablaker »

The last one which I watched was Mujin Train, from demon slayer, and the animation was on the next level, just insane. The second season is expected to be this autumn, or at the beginning of 2022. That's a long time to wait, but until then the 5-th season of Haikyuu will be released, which is some good news for all the fans. One of friends showed me this quiz about which character from haikyuu are you, and created a team in real life, calling each other with the names of characters which got from the quiz.
Last edited by Emmablaker on Tue May 11, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've finally compiled every movie I've seen in Excel, so here's every anime movie I've seen, in chronological order according to release:

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Akira
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki’s Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Roujin Z
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Ghost in the Shell
Whisper of the Heart
Perfect Blue
Princess Mononoke
The End of Evangelion
Pokémon: The First Movie
Pokémon: The Movie 2000
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Metropolis (2001)
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl’s Moving Castle
Paprika
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
5 Centimeters Per Second
Ponyo
Summer Wars
Arrietty
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
From Up on Poppy Hill
K-On! The Movie!
Wolf Children
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
The Wind Rises
A Silent Voice
Your Name
Mary and the Witch’s Flower
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl
Promare
Weathering with You
A Whisker Away
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

R.O.D. is a great fantasy thriller complete with special agents and superpowers.
Norito31
Debut

Post by Norito31 »

Here is my list of anime movies
The girl who leapt through time
Wolf's children
5 centimeter per second
Your Name
A Silent Voice Kinemaster MOD APK
Weathering with You
Boy and Beast
One Piece Movies
Goblin Slayer (Anime series & Movie)
I forgot the names of other movies i have seen. Lol.
ABakhsh46483222
Superunknown

Post by ABakhsh46483222 »

prosecutorgodot wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm R.O.D. is a great fantasy thriller complete with special agents and superpowers.
yes fantasy is a great thriller R.O.D
FlipaClip: Cartoon Animation Mod Apk is the newest way to express yourself through the art of drawing. Draw your favorite cartoon with a full frame-by-frame animated presentation. The FlipaClip Cartoon Animation Mod Apk widget embedded in the Android operating system of the Flipa clipping board allows the users to see the pictures being drawn on the screen. You can draw a square, circle, sphere, line or any other shape using the canvas of the Flipa clipping board.
ABakhsh46483222
Superunknown

Post by ABakhsh46483222 »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:26 am I've heard of all of these! I love looking up new animation, so this is a good starting point (and, fun fact: Fantasia's my all-time favorite animated movie). Thanks!
I meant to get back to Akira and never had the time. Totoro is also a big priority.
And I've heard of Grave of the Fireflies...yeah, no. It sounds great, but it also sounds a little preachy and very, very bleak. Only Yesterday sounds good though.
I've also always wanted to see Tokyo Godfathers; a lot of people have said it's very good.
My all-time favorite animated movie
Apk Mod Apps
Place Of The Latest And Best Android Games & Apps Mods.

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”