The Upcoming Sight & Sound 2022 Poll

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

The Upcoming Sight & Sound 2022 Poll

Post by ordinaryperson »

As is tradition, the Sight & Sound magazine will conduct it's decennial poll of the greatest films of all time this year. The last time the poll was held, Vertigo dethroned Citizen Kane for the number one spot. Will there be any upsets or surprises this year?

Here are some of my predictions:
A film that is NOT Citizen Kane or Vertigo will top the critics poll. (It'll probably be either 2001: A Space Odyssey or Tokyo Story)
In the Mood for Love and Mulholland Dr. will continue to be ranked as the top films of the 2000s, but There Will Be Blood will enter the top 100.
Moonlight, Parasite, and The Tree of Life will be the top ranked films from the 2010s, but I'm not sure which one will be the highest ranked.
Drive My Car will be the highest ranked of the films from the 2020s.

What are your thoughts/predictions?
There is No More Firmament.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Re: The Upcoming Sight & Sound 2022 Poll

Post by Chambord »

In 2002 Vertigo topped the crix list and Tokyo Story the directors one. I think Vertigo will lead both rankings in 2022. Or maybe S&S finally come to the conclusion that having a combined critics+directors final list is the best option.
What I didn't like last time was the selection process of the participants. A lot of great critics and especially directors were not invited to participate and instead a lot of nobodies submitted votes. It's hard to think that in the internet era a magazine with their prestige can't reach the best filmmakers alive.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Chambord wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:48 pm In 2002 Vertigo topped the crix list and Tokyo Story the directors one. I think Vertigo will lead both rankings in 2022. Or maybe S&S finally come to the conclusion that having a combined critics+directors final list is the best option.
What I didn't like last time was the selection process of the participants. A lot of great critics and especially directors were not invited to participate and instead a lot of nobodies submitted votes. It's hard to think that in the internet era a magazine with their prestige can't reach the best filmmakers alive.
Frankly, it's also hard to believe that they're still sticking to the top-ten list stipulation (does anyone know if they are, in fact, changing that rule for this year's poll?). Yes, the participant pool is presumably so large that we'll end up with a lot of films anyway, but it still seems a bit archaic at this point in time.

No-brainer prediction: Look for lots of hand-wringing think pieces, both within S&S and without, about the relevancy of "the canon," the need for more inclusiveness in said canon, the issue of how to deal with problematic films/directors (what we might call The Woody/Roman Conundrum), etc.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I was just thinking about this subject last week. Does anyone know approximately when the results will be revealed? I've been looking forward to this for about, oh, 9 or so years now.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

If it's like last time around, it will be around the top of August. The forum has its own thread from then, "Sight and Sound Poll 2012: Ain't no more Kane."
http://acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewto ... ?f=5&t=558

I don't know about the poll's primacy today, but thirty years ago their Top Ten list, as published in a Roger Ebert book, was the only important list I knew for any medium. I usually just watch nonsense today, but I made a point then of eventually going through all the director/critic films. I don't know if I'll rewatch all of them (by them, I mean the Top Ten entrants hardly change out), but I've generally enjoyed the re-viewings of them more than the first viewing.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Live in Phoenix! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like the waiting will likely continue for about 8 more months, so I might as well turn my attention to the They Shoot Pictures update, which is supposed to happen sometime this month.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

jamieW wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:31 am Thanks, Live in Phoenix! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like the waiting will likely continue for about 8 more months, so I might as well turn my attention to the They Shoot Pictures update, which is supposed to happen sometime this month.
Unfortunately, the man who runs TSPDT updated the site with a message about an (apparently not life-threatening but currently debilitating) illness, so the next update has been delayed until he gets better.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

BleuPanda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 am
jamieW wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:31 am Thanks, Live in Phoenix! That's exactly what I wanted to know. Looks like the waiting will likely continue for about 8 more months, so I might as well turn my attention to the They Shoot Pictures update, which is supposed to happen sometime this month.
Unfortunately, the man who runs TSPDT updated the site with a message about an (apparently not life-threatening but currently debilitating) illness, so the next update has been delayed until he gets better.
I saw that, too. Glad to hear it isn't anything life-threatening, but it does sounds serious, so hopefully he will feel better soon.
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

Based on the votes from the last poll there would need to be a pretty big change for Tokyo Story or 2001 to hit #1 (though I hope the latter does take the top spot).
WayneCha44
Debut

Post by WayneCha44 »

They Shoot Pictures is a remarkable resource that's already been mentioned here. Even though I'm looking forward to this year's edition of the Sight & Sound Critics Poll, TSPDT is probably the definitive ranking of the greatest films and beyond. We're talking about over 20,000 films listed!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

jamieW wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:22 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 am Unfortunately, the man who runs TSPDT updated the site with a message about an (apparently not life-threatening but currently debilitating) illness, so the next update has been delayed until he gets better.
I saw that, too. Glad to hear it isn't anything life-threatening, but it does sounds serious, so hopefully he will feel better soon.
Great news on TSPDT - the updated "Starting List" is now available for download on the homepage, containing all of the updated rankings for 2022! The actual site updates are still indefinitely delayed, but Bill has decided to make the new list available to everyone. I may make a separate thread on this to let people know.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Harold wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:33 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 am Unfortunately, the man who runs TSPDT updated the site with a message about an (apparently not life-threatening but currently debilitating) illness, so the next update has been delayed until he gets better.
Great news on TSPDT - the updated "Starting List" is now available for download on the homepage, containing all of the updated rankings for 2022! The actual site updates are still indefinitely delayed, but Bill has decided to make the new list available to everyone. I may make a separate thread on this to let people know.
Thanks, Harold! I went right to the site and downloaded the updated list. I'm looking especially forward to the changes next year once the new Sight & Sound poll is factored in. Great news, indeed! :happy-partydance:
kennedystewart
Debut

Post by kennedystewart »

jamieW wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:35 am
Harold wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:33 pm

Great news on TSPDT - the updated "Starting List" is now available for download on the homepage, containing all of the updated rankings for 2022! The actual site updates are still indefinitely delayed, but Bill has decided to make the new list available to everyone. I may make a separate thread on this to let people know drift boss
Thanks, Harold! I went right to the site and downloaded the updated list. I'm looking especially forward to the changes next year once the new Sight & Sound poll is factored in. Great news, indeed! :happy-partydance:
I am a movie lover, on weekends I often watch movies with my lover. I'm looking for more good movies from your reviews. This is a really cool topic
Alena_03
Strange Fruit

Post by Alena_03 »

I sure hope this September with S&S End of Evangelion FINALLY gets the respect it deserves from older generations of animation-shunning critics thanks to Gen Z's embrace of animation!
Samuel54
Debut

Post by Samuel54 »

ordinaryperson wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:53 am As is tradition, the Sight & Sound magazine will conduct it's decennial poll of the greatest films of all time this year. The last time the poll was held, Vertigo dethroned Citizen Kane for the number one spot. Will there be any upsets or surprises this year?

Here are some of my predictions:
A film that is NOT Citizen Kane or Vertigo will top the critics poll. (It'll probably be either 2001: A Space Odyssey or Tokyo Story)
In the Mood for Love and Mulholland Dr. will continue to be ranked as the top films of the 2000s, but There Will Be Blood will enter the top 100.
Moonlight, Parasite, and The Tree of Life will be the top ranked films from the 2010s, but I'm not sure which one will be the highest ranked without more details.
Drive My Car will be the highest ranked of the films from the 2020s.

What are your thoughts/predictions?
Hello,

I think that Moonlight will be at the top for the year 2010 among your selections and you are right, Drive My Car will surely be well ranked for the year 2020.
Last edited by Samuel54 on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

hello, have you heard/know anything about NME publishing the greatest 500 songs or albums?
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

The S&S poll will be published in November.
Alena_03
Strange Fruit

Post by Alena_03 »

End of Evangelion and 12 Angry Men are the two films that we missed on last time I hope to see in the 250 at least
henny123
I'm New Here

Post by henny123 »

Chambord wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:48 pm In 2002 Vertigo topped the crix list and Tokyo Story the directors one. I think Vertigo will lead both rankings in 2022. Or maybe S&S finally come to the conclusion that having a combined critics+directors final list is the best option. heardle
Although I don't know much about art, the above movies really show me the good in them. Vertigo really didn't let me down when it came out to take 1st place
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Chambord wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm The S&S poll will be published in November.
we are getting closer
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Vacantjoy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am
Chambord wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm The S&S poll will be published in November.
we are getting closer
Can't wait! Anyone spotted any leaked ballots on the internet ? :) Or at least participants confirming sending it ?
Came across this interesting piece today:
Typed and hand-written ballots from the '62 edition

https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/voting- ... -poll-1962
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Chambord wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:51 pm
Vacantjoy wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am
we are getting closer
Can't wait! Anyone spotted any leaked ballots on the internet ? :) Or at least participants confirming sending it ?
Came across this interesting piece today:
Typed and hand-written ballots from the '62 edition

https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/voting- ... -poll-1962
no i haven't searched for anything yet , do you know if its going to be a top 100 again? i personally think that a top 100 for all time is too little in 2022, a top 200 is the minimum i would publish for an all time list,and i hope to see some movies from 80s,90s,00s and 10s too... plus fun fact i saw that bill georgaris has voted for the 2012 all time list in BFI and he also has 2 lists by himself in TSPDT
Last edited by VacantJoy on Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathew32
Debut

Post by Mathew32 »

I don't follow this case, can anyone tell me about the results of the poll?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Oh, they were supposed to have released this by now...
I guess as long as it's within 2022. It's always been in the 2 year of the decade.
nquoid
Wannabe

Post by nquoid »

The issue is due December 5th, so a little over a month till the results are posted. But it sounds like a lot of ballots have been sent in.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

georgaris has told the new BFI poll (sight and sound) is around 2250 ballots
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

today is the day
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Would be nice of it came out now, just to compare it with our forum poll. :)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

2 and a half hours until it drops, if I can do time correctly
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

What website will the results appear on?
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

The big shift in number of participants has, somewhat expectedly, led to a dilution of the overall result, the finished product being quite pitchforkian (or rollingstonian). With the age, experience and film history knowledge of the average participant decreasing, the needle moved from lasting value towards fashion (and I don't mean clothes), politics and the urgent topics of today.

The strength of each title can't be denied, it's just the ranking that feels very forced. For example, I'm sure Celine Sciamma (otherwise a worthy winner of the prestigious Chambord Prize :) ) doesn't think her film is even close to being greater than 8 1/2, Mirror or Psycho (to name just the 3 films immediately after it in the ranks). Nor Chantal Akerman thought JD being the greatest. It's just many participants felt compelled to include a title from a category that was under represented in the past (and sadly with far less opportunities allowed) and the selection pool not being very large always the same titles came up. But centuries of injustice can't be fixed with a push.

Looking forward to the individual ballots, 10 years until the next one should be enough time to check 2k+ lists and maybe find some hidden gems I might have overlooked.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

The list with only director votes is also available, unlike the other one it includes Come and See so big improvement for me !
It also drops Jeanne Dielman to the #5 spot behind 4 of the tspdt top 5.
rrenault
I'm New Here

Post by rrenault »

I wonder how this shake-up will affect the TSPDT all time list.
nquoid
Wannabe

Post by nquoid »

It'll definitely be interesting to see how many spots Jeanne Dielman. Been hovering at 85 for three updates now, so it should climb into the top 50 I imagine.

Does TSPDT collate all the individual ballots? Or just use the overall results.
rrenault
I'm New Here

Post by rrenault »

TSPDT collates individual ballots and weighs some more heavily than others depending on the pedigree of the person voting, so Georgaris may have less of a shake-up to offer in the end than S&S.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Chambord wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:44 am The big shift in number of participants has, somewhat expectedly, led to a dilution of the overall result, the finished product being quite pitchforkian (or rollingstonian). With the age, experience and film history knowledge of the average participant decreasing, the needle moved from lasting value towards fashion (and I don't mean clothes), politics and the urgent topics of today.

The strength of each title can't be denied, it's just the ranking that feels very forced. For example, I'm sure Celine Sciamma (otherwise a worthy winner of the prestigious Chambord Prize :) ) doesn't think her film is even close to being greater than 8 1/2, Mirror or Psycho (to name just the 3 films immediately after it in the ranks). Nor Chantal Akerman thought JD being the greatest. It's just many participants felt compelled to include a title from a category that was under represented in the past (and sadly with far less opportunities allowed) and the selection pool not being very large always the same titles came up. But centuries of injustice can't be fixed with a push.

Looking forward to the individual ballots, 10 years until the next one should be enough time to check 2k+ lists and maybe find some hidden gems I might have overlooked.
Do you have proof of your claims? How were they compelled to include under-represented titles? I don't remember hearing about that.

Like, if people who submitted were asked to include a certain amount of movies by women, that might explain some of the unexpected results- but my assumption was they simply asked more women this time around, and, surprise, female critics probably do just have a higher chance of including a few films by women in their list. It's not "politics" just because more minorities and women are being asked their opinion and it turns out they value different things than the predominantly straight white male critics we are used to. There are a lot of classics that simply don't mean as much to other demographics.

Also, Portrait of a Lady on Fire is absolutely a better movie than Mirror and at least worth discussing in relation to the other two.
Cadavaca
Different Class

Post by Cadavaca »

You could similarly argue that prior lists were skewed because participants felt compelled to include titles that were already in the canon.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

BleuPanda wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:55 pm
Chambord wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:44 am The big shift in number of participants has, somewhat expectedly, led to a dilution of the overall result, the finished product being quite pitchforkian (or rollingstonian). With the age, experience and film history knowledge of the average participant decreasing, the needle moved from lasting value towards fashion (and I don't mean clothes), politics and the urgent topics of today.

Do you have proof of your claims? How were they compelled to include under-represented titles? I don't remember hearing about that.

Like, if people who submitted were asked to include a certain amount of movies by women, that might explain some of the unexpected results- but my assumption was they simply asked more women this time around, and, surprise, female critics probably do just have a higher chance of including a few films by women in their list. It's not "politics" just because more minorities and women are being asked their opinion and it turns out they value different things than the predominantly straight white male critics we are used to. There are a lot of classics that simply don't mean as much to other demographics.

Also, Portrait of a Lady on Fire is absolutely a better movie than Mirror and at least worth discussing in relation to the other two.
At least it's not necessarily more 'politics' than it used to be. One could argue that politics does have a role in these votes. But that would certainly also be the case in the past decades and for the same reasons.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

If we're splitting hairs about "politics" in these lists, the first edition from 1952 is probably the most political list they've done, with almost all of the top 10 dealing with class consciousness, reflective of the strong leftist/Marxist tendencies within the film world at that period.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Cadavaca wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:45 pm You could similarly argue that prior lists were skewed because participants felt compelled to include titles that were already in the canon.
That too - it's just as much a fashion choice to hold up icons of the past (and it's not like those films outright disappeared here or anything, they just have new company). If you believe people are putting women-directed films in their top 10 for political points, is it that much harder to believe several critics only put guaranteed classics in their list so people think they have good taste when they check the individual ballots?

The way people treat the established canon as intrinsically unimpeachable is beyond me at this point. Film is only a little over a century old and will hopefully last as an art form for millennia more - how would it even be possible for all the greatest films to come out in a narrow range of decades that already passed? It all comes down to stylistic preferences, so it shouldn't be shocking that as the generation that brought film criticism to the front dies off, new stylistic preferences become apparent.

I'll see people say 'but this film is clearly better than that film,' but through what lens? What evaluation criteria? The only answer here is that everyone has their own unique lens and criteria - what matters to me in a film is going to be different than what matters to you. There are movies you will love for the exact same reasons that another hates it. This discussion usually falls back on 'technique' as if that is an objective measure, but even that will lead to disagreements - I feel like people assume Moonlight is my second favorite film of the 2010s due to its themes, but I legitimately think it is a stylistic marvel; I find its cinematography more impactful than the more typical 2010s answer of The Tree of Life.

All that really matters in film criticism is if you can properly express why a film matters through your specific lens - a great writer can convince people to at least momentarily adapt their lens to see something they otherwise wouldn't. The praise of Citizen Kane likely helped me open my eyes to the power of cinematography over narrative - putting another film in the spotlight might reveal another truth.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

I see my words have been misinterpreted, so I need to clarify: They were not "compelled" by someone else but self-compelled to revise their own canon. I saw today a prominent critic admiting that. I'll lookup the tweet and post it here.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Guy Lodge:
And yes, a lot of the “new” older films in the list are by women and people of colour. I’m guessing a lot of critics thought about their canon and why they hadn’t previously included these titles. I know I did.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

And may I ask everyone to not get too worked up on my opinion? It's just a subjective (therefore limited) view. As are all the others. I'm not more right or more wrong than anyone else here.

I'll check out my intermission with a question:

If Jeanne Dielmann was directed by a man, would it still have been voted as the greatest film of all time? Because isn't a work of art supposed to have intrinsec value, regardless of the particularities of its author? And if the answer to the first question is No, what placement do you think it would have in this case? I'll go for 174 :)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Chambord wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:17 pm And may I ask everyone to not get too worked up on my opinion? It's just a subjective (therefore limited) view. As are all the others. I'm not more right or more wrong than anyone else here.

I'll check out my intermission with a question:

If Jeanne Dielmann was directed by a man, would it still have been voted as the greatest film of all time? Because isn't a work of art supposed to have intrinsec value, regardless of the particularities of its author? And if the answer to the first question is No, what placement do you think it would have in this case? I'll go for 174 :)
There is no such thing as intrinsic value in art. Art is also not made in a vacuum; a man would never have made Jeanne Dielman in this exact way because art is informed by the experiences of its creator. This is a hypothetical question with no application to the actual world, in which Jeanne Dielman is a highly acclaimed film for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with its director's gender.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Let's consider another angle on why more old films directed by women might be popping up: accessibility. Jeanne Dielman, at least in the US, was released through Criterion on Bluray and DVD in 2009. Daisies, which also made an unexpected rise, was released through them only a few years ago. People have always had access to Citizen Kane, Vertigo, and 2001; I can't speak for other regions, but at least in the United States, these women-directed films are practically new releases outside of festival circuits. Especially with streaming, these films are a lot more present then they were before - I wouldn't be surprised if more people watched Jeanne Dielman for the first time in the last 15 years than the combined time of its existence before that.

Just look at our own poll: A Brighter Summer Day landed at #51 after not appearing in our 2016 poll. What happened since that time? It was released on Bluray by Criterion in America in early 2016, a bit too soon for the 2016 poll but with enough time to make an impact now. For that, I can practically guarantee its American release is the cause, as acroamor and I are both American and also its biggest fans outside of a new user.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I feel like the question of would the new number one film have one if it was not directed by a woman is a bit flawed given the methodology of the list. No BFI boogeymen curated this list? It’s the composite of over a thousand critics.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bad news for everyone who, like me, is eagerly awaiting the complete poll results and expanded top-films lists for critics and directors - this was just posted to the S&S Twitter account:

"A lot of people asking when we’ll publish the individual Top 10 ballots - all votes in the critics’ & directors’ polls will be live on our site in early Jan alongside the expanded Top 250 critics’ list. Until then, enjoy the discourse & exploring the Top 100 for new discoveries."

January?!? Really?!? I'm sorry - I know they want to milk the excitement of the unveiling of the new top 100 lists for as long as they can, but that's ridiculous.
ManPerson
Let's Get It On

Post by ManPerson »

I am hoping that with Parasite appealing in the top 100 of the poll, it will be in the top 1000 on the next TSPDT update.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

As posted on Wikipedia (though I spaced apart the tied movies)

In the 2022 critics' poll, Jeanne Dielman 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles was ranked first, replacing Vertigo from 2012, and Citizen Kane, which held the top spot in the five critics' polls before that. It is the first film directed by a woman to take the top spot.

The top 10 from the critics' list are:

1. Jeanne Dielman 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)
2. Vertigo (1958)
3. Citizen Kane (1941)
4. Tokyo Story (1953)
5. In the Mood for Love (2000)
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
7. Beau Travail (1998)
8. Mulholland Drive (2001)
9. Man with a Movie Camera (1929)
10. Singin' in the Rain (1951)

In the 2022 directors' poll, 2001: A Space Odyssey was ranked first, replacing Tokyo Story from 2012 and Citizen Kane, which held the top spot in both of the directors' polls previous to that.

The top 10 from the directors' list are:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
2. Citizen Kane (1941)
3. The Godfather (1972)

4. Tokyo Story (1953)
4. Jeanne Dielman 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975)

6. Vertigo (1958)
6. 8½ (1963)

8. Mirror (1975)

9. Persona (1966)
9. In the Mood for Love (2000)
9. Close-up (1989)

Return to “Films, Movies, Motion Pictures...”