Los Angeles Times (US) - Best Albums of the ‘80s (1989)

Lists by single critics or musicians, published in magazines or on websites, have lower priority. The amount of such lists would be impossible to handle.
(However, priority is given to single author lists from books, very famous music critics and artists with albums or songs ranked on Acclaimed Music. Single author lists are also more likely to get priority if they are not limited to a genre or artist.)
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Re: Los Angeles Times (US) - Best Albums of the ‘80s (1989)

Post by VacantJoy »

Mike Boehm

“The River,” Bruce Springsteen; “Murmur,” R.E.M.; “Shoot Out the Lights,” Richard and Linda Thompson; “Pretenders,” Pretenders; “Empty Glass,” Pete Townshend; “Purple Rain,” Prince; “Graceland,” Paul Simon; “VU,” the Velvet Underground; “London Calling,” the Clash; “Pleased to Meet Me,” Replacements.

Richard Cromelin

“London Calling,” the Clash; “1999,” Prince; “Tim,” Replacements; “Wild Gift,” X; “King of America,” Elvis Costello; “Fresh Fruit in Foreign Places,” Kid Creole & the Coconuts; “Psychocandy,” the Jesus and Mary Chain; “Rum, Sodomy & the Lash,” Pogues; “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back,” Public Enemy; “Double Nickels on the Dime,” Minutemen.

Jonathan Gold

“Master of Puppets,” Metallica; “It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back,” Public Enemy; “Licensed to Ill,” Beastie Boys; “Back in Black,” AC/DC; “Reign in Blood,” Slayer; “Women and Children First,” Van Halen; “Los Angeles,” X; “No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith,” Motorhead;"Damaged,” Black Flag; “Nothing’s Shocking,” Jane’s Addiction.

Patrick Goldstein

“The River,” Bruce Springsteen; “1999,” Prince; “Don’t Tell a Soul,” Replacements; “Los Angeles,” X; “Speaking in Tongues,” Talking Heads; “London Calling,” the Clash; “Graceland,” Paul Simon; “The Queen Is Dead,” the Smiths; “Back in Black,” AC/DC; “The Joshua Tree,” U2.

Paul Grein

“Thriller,” Michael Jackson; “Rapture,” Anita Baker; “What’s New,” Linda Ronstadt; “The Broadway Album,” Barbra Streisand; “The Night-fly,” Donald Fagan; “Synchronicity,” the Police; “Whitney Houston” Whitney Houston; “Sports,” Huey Lewis & the News; “Always and Forever,” Randy Travis; “Never Too Much,” Luther Vandross.

Steve Hochman

“Remain in Light,” Talking Heads; “Shoot Out the Lights,” Richard and Linda Thompson; “Pretenders,” Pretenders; “Purple Rain,” Prince; “London Calling,” the Clash; “Graceland,” Paul Simon; “So,” Peter Gabriel; “Bring the Family,” John Hiatt; “Wild Gift,” X; “Nebraska,” Bruce Springsteen.

Dennis Hunt

“Thriller,” Michael Jackson; “Sign ‘O’ the Times,” Prince; “Private Dancer,” Tina Turner; “Like a Virgin,” Madonna; “Control,” Janet Jackson; “Don’t Be Cruel,” Bobby Brown; “What’s New,” Linda Ronstadt; “Faith,” George Michael; “Back to Black,” AC/DC;"Rapture,” Anita Baker.

Connie Johnson

“Sign ‘O’ the Times,” Prince; “Midnight Love,’ Marvin Gaye; “Dream of the Blue Turtles,” Sting; “Stompin’ at the Savoy,” Rufus & Chaka Khan; “Computer Games,” George Clinton; “Adventures in the Land of the Good Groove,” Nile Rodgers; “Control,” Janet Jackson; “It Must Be Magic,” Teena Marie; “Hall of Fame: I,” Steve Arrington; “The Time,” the Time.

Kristine McKenna

“Wild Gift,” X; “Graceland,” Paul Simon; “The Firstborn Is Dead,” Nick Cave; “Doc at the Radar Station,” Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band; “Rum, Sodomy & the Lash,” Pogues;"London Calling,” the Clash; “Album--Generic Flipper,” Flipper; “Infidels,” Bob Dylan; “Love Ritual,” Al Green; “Dreamtime,” Tom Verlaine.

Don Snowden

“In All Languages,” Ornette Coleman; “London Calling,” the Clash; “Wild Gift,” X; “Are You Glad to Be in America?” James (Blood) Ulmer; “Conjure: Music for the Texts of Ishmael Reed,” Kip Hanrahan; “Live Shots,” Joe Ely; “Water From an Ancient Well,” Abdullah Ibrahim; “Murmur,” R.E.M.; “The Specials,” the Specials; “A Minute to Pray, a Second to Die,” Flesh Eaters.

Don Waller

“London Calling,” the Clash; “1999,” Prince; “Avalon,” Roxy Music; “Remain in Light,” Talking Heads; “Pretenders,” Pretenders; “King of America,” Elvis Costello; “Document,” R.E.M.; “Los Angeles,” X; “I Just Can’t Stop It,” English Beat; “Pleased to Meet Me,” Replacements.

Chris Willman

“Get Happy!!,” Elvis Costello & the Attractions; “Pretenders,” Pretenders; “Tim,” Replacements; “The Joshua Tree,” U2; “The River,” Bruce Springsteen; “All of a Sudden,” John Hiatt; “Argybargy,” Squeeze; “Los Angeles,” X; “Building the Perfect Beast,” Don Henley; “Concrete Blonde,” Concrete Blonde.
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
relitacus
Debut

Post by relitacus »

A good playlist, full of my favorite songs.tunnel rush
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

welcome to the site
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Single critic votes, so not eligible.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “Single critics & musicians”