500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Lists of all time (or back to the early rock years) that include all genres (or rock or pop music in a broad sense).
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Hymie »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 pm
Hymie wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pm
Holden wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 pm

To be fair, Dreams is already in the AM Top 600. Just cause it was involved in a viral video doesn’t change the quality of the song.
Of course not, that's why it's preposterous that it went from not even on the prior RS list to top 10 of all time mainly because of the viral video. That's the society we live in now. Social media controls everything, especially for millennials and younger.
Or, for the more logical conclusion, "Dreams" suddenly reentered the spotlight due to this meme and a bunch of people realized they liked it more than they thought. Maybe it's a good thing when an old song gains renewed interest?
I don't think so, because it skews things. It's on people's minds because of some coincidence. It's like whenever a famous musician dies I suddenly sell a few of their records that have been sitting around for years. These artists and songs should be judged on their merits. They shouldn't get a huge boost because of some sudden fluke publicity.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Apparently the Robyn record is there for similar reasons to why "Strange Fruit" is there. It's all about what those records represent rather than just the sound of the records. The Robyn thing is some huge LBGTQ anthem.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," which was RS's song of the decade, and I think rounded out their old all-time 100, pretty much got left behind.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:13 am Apparently the Robyn record is there for similar reasons to why "Strange Fruit" is there. It's all about what those records represent rather than just the sound of the records. The Robyn thing is some huge LBGTQ anthem.

You should really consider the things you say to any degree. I don't know how you expect us to take this other than 'this song does not deserve to be here because a minority group enjoys it.' Like, if it was some random song about queer issues, this would just be hateful that minorities sometimes express themselves through art. But now you are going to an even deeper level, complaining about a song with rather universal themes because those themes also happen to resonate with queer people. So you're not just mad that minorities sometimes express themselves through art, but you're also mad that there is any art that speaks to queer people at all.

You're such a hateful, unpleasant person. Not just in your music taste, but every part of yourself you have shown to us has painted you as an awful, awful person. It's clear your sole goal here is to make as hostile of an atmosphere as possible, just subtly keeping on the right side to not get outright banned.

I'm sure you'll deny the above interpretation as being your intent, but I truly am incapable of believing you after everything I have seen from you. You're a hateful bigot who should have been banned from this forum years ago.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:51 pm
Hymie wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pm
Holden wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:12 pm

To be fair, Dreams is already in the AM Top 600. Just cause it was involved in a viral video doesn’t change the quality of the song.
Of course not, that's why it's preposterous that it went from not even on the prior RS list to top 10 of all time mainly because of the viral video. That's the society we live in now. Social media controls everything, especially for millennials and younger.
Or, for the more logical conclusion, "Dreams" suddenly reentered the spotlight due to this meme and a bunch of people realized they liked it more than they thought. Maybe it's a good thing when an old song gains renewed interest?
I mean as someone with Dreams in my top 100, I definitely feel like it deserves it’s position.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

BleuPanda wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:52 am
Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:13 am Apparently the Robyn record is there for similar reasons to why "Strange Fruit" is there. It's all about what those records represent rather than just the sound of the records. The Robyn thing is some huge LBGTQ anthem.

You should really consider the things you say to any degree. I don't know how you expect us to take this other than 'this song does not deserve to be here because a minority group enjoys it.' Like, if it was some random song about queer issues, this would just be hateful that minorities sometimes express themselves through art. But now you are going to an even deeper level, complaining about a song with rather universal themes because those themes also happen to resonate with queer people. So you're not just mad that minorities sometimes express themselves through art, but you're also mad that there is any art that speaks to queer people at all.

You're such a hateful, unpleasant person. Not just in your music taste, but every part of yourself you have shown to us has painted you as an awful, awful person. It's clear your sole goal here is to make as hostile of an atmosphere as possible, just subtly keeping on the right side to not get outright banned.

I'm sure you'll deny the above interpretation as being your intent, but I truly am incapable of believing you after everything I have seen from you. You're a hateful bigot who should have been banned from this forum years ago.
I am very pro LBGTQ issues. I have no problem with minorities expressing themselves. I would never vote for ANY Republican, and I have disassociated myself from all Trump supporters. I'm no bigot. I am white and was married to a black woman for 5 years, and have had other black girlfriends. Check my top 1000 of all time, it's like 65% by black acts. Gay man Little Richard is my #4 act of all time.

I just don't like when a record gets elevated to all time great status for non music reasons. There is far too much emphasis put on to lyrics and point of view over musicianship and great singing. I don't listen to music for any songwriter's point of view.

As for you hating my music taste, that doesn't bother me, and it shouldn't bother anyone else here if I don't like their musical taste. Musical taste is totally subjective, and no 2 people have the same barometer. But lots of people have very different barometers to judge music by. There is no right or wrong in this regard.

Here's me and the ex-wife back in about 1985.

B&E.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Hymie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

I like this record better than "Strange Fruit."

And this one too:

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Here's me with my best friend from college, Tommie Shider of the Sheps.

1-PIC.jpg

The Sheps are a vocal group from here in New Jersey. Tommie was also in the Harptones for about 6 years until lead singer Willie Winfield retired about 5 years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

You trying to paint me as a bigot is patently absurd. Here's me and one of my best friends, Puerto Rican Jose Rodriguez.

img208.jpg
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

Mason wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 pm I'm surprised that WAP isn't on here. I predicted that it would be the only song from 2020 to make the list.
Me too! Considering what massive cultural event it was in 2020, I thought it'd make the list for sure.

"Dancing On My Own" deserves everything. That is a pitch-perfect pop song.

"Summertime Sadness" by Lana is probably her biggest commercial hit so I'm not surprised. But "Video Games" or "The Greatest" should have been there instead.

Damn, couldn't they make room for "Hyper-ballad" or something?
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

My biggest problem with this list is the complete absence of most of the greatest indie artists (Arcade Fire, The National, Vampire Weekend, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, Interpol...). And I like Get Ur Freak On, but it always has struck me as one of the most out-of-place songs in AM's top 100. I know a lot of its rank came from dominating the initial EOY lists, and I always expected it to fade over time, so it's surprising to see it have such a strong resurgence. I love Dreams, but I agree that from outside the top 500 to inside the top 10 seems like a bit of an overcorrection, although it'll end up making its AM rank closer to where it deserves to be.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

"You've Lost That Loving Feeling" going from #34 to out is also crazy. It's a masterpiece that is also the most played record ever on American radio.

1. The Righteous Brothers – You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
2. The Association – Never My Love
3. The Beatles – Yesterday
4. Ben E. King - Stand By Me
5. Franki Valli – Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You
6. Otis Redding – Sitting on the Dock of the Bay
7. Simon and Garfunkel – Mrs. Robinson
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

So, Hymie, basically you're saying...some of your best friends are Black?

I think we ought to end this conversation.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jdizzle83
Strange Fruit

Post by jdizzle83 »

One thing that’s kind of interesting about these types of things is when an artist’s most acclaimed song is not nearly a favorite of more invested fans. For example, most Jay-Z fans would not put “99 Problems” even close to the top of a list of their favorites (it’s a great song, just not that beloved if you’re a bigger fan of his. If you look at lists specifically ranking Jay-Z songs, it’s never on top). And this applies to lots of others artists as well…
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

jdizzle83 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 am One thing that’s kind of interesting about these types of things is when an artist’s most acclaimed song is not nearly a favorite of more invested fans. For example, most Jay-Z fans would not put “99 Problems” even close to the top of a list of their favorites (it’s a great song, just not that beloved if you’re a bigger fan of his. If you look at lists specifically ranking Jay-Z songs, it’s never on top). And this applies to lots of others artists as well…
I will say as a fan of both The Smiths and The Cure, their picks for their respective highest-ranked songs line up pretty well with what most fans would say (There is a Light That Never Goes Out and Just Like Heaven, respectively). R.E.M.'s highest being Losing My Religion might be different. I love R.E.M. but I couldn't tell you what the consensus pick for fans' favorite song by them is (Radio Free Europe? So. Central Rain? Driver 8?).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jdizzle83
Strange Fruit

Post by jdizzle83 »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:51 am
jdizzle83 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 am One thing that’s kind of interesting about these types of things is when an artist’s most acclaimed song is not nearly a favorite of more invested fans. For example, most Jay-Z fans would not put “99 Problems” even close to the top of a list of their favorites (it’s a great song, just not that beloved if you’re a bigger fan of his. If you look at lists specifically ranking Jay-Z songs, it’s never on top). And this applies to lots of others artists as well…
I will say as a fan of both The Smiths and The Cure, their picks for their respective highest-ranked songs line up pretty well with what most fans would say (There is a Light That Never Goes Out and Just Like Heaven, respectively). R.E.M.'s highest being Losing My Religion might be different. I love R.E.M. but I couldn't tell you what the consensus pick for fans' favorite song by them is (Radio Free Europe? So. Central Rain? Driver 8?).
Probably “Fall on Me” (not my favorite but seems to be a fan favorite).
jdizzle83
Strange Fruit

Post by jdizzle83 »

Also, it is interesting how deaths, soundtracks, etc. play a role. I love “Radiation Vibe” - I was happy to see it on here! - but I doubt it would be if Adam Schlesinger hadn’t died. I don’t think this is a bad thing! Just an observation. That’s why it would be fun for them to do this like the Sight and Sound poll every 10 years and see how it changes shape.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

I don't really recall the 2010 list/update.

Glad to see multiple Madonna entries, as the original RS 500 Songs list (with just one) was one in which she fared relatively poor compared to other RS features.

Given some of the selections, they attempted to make this list more modern, no?

Beatles easily with the most entries (12). Then, I think, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones are tied for the next most (seven), followed by Prince (six).
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

I think the song I'm happiest seeing is "Running Up That Hill" at #60. It's by far my favorite song of the 1980s, and top 5 all-time for me. It's also way better than Wuthering Heights (which still good, though a tad overrated in my opinion).
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Pauler wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:20 am
Mason wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 pm I'm surprised that WAP isn't on here. I predicted that it would be the only song from 2020 to make the list.
Me too! Considering what massive cultural event it was in 2020, I thought it'd make the list for sure.
It's especially odd considering three other songs from last year made it.

The best explanation I could see for it not appearing is that it didn't receive enough mentions on voters' list. And even that seems like a stretch.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 am So, Hymie, basically you're saying...some of your best friends are Black?
No, but if I was, it would be true, unlike most people who say it. I'm saying that I have been anti-bigotry all my life, and this panda guy has no right to call me a bigot because of how I feel about certain records being listed too high on an all time list. It's totally ridiculous, and HE should be getting a warning from the moderators for doing it.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:51 am
StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 am So, Hymie, basically you're saying...some of your best friends are Black?
No, but if I was, it would be true, unlike most people who say it. I'm saying that I have been anti-bigotry all my life, and this panda guy has no right to call me a bigot because of how I feel about certain records being listed too high on an all time list. It's totally ridiculous, and HE should be getting a warning from the moderators for doing it.
I have directly told you before that I use they/them pronouns, so repeatedly misgendering me here is not helping prove that you are 'anti-bigotry' when it comes to LGBTQ issues. And when your stated issue with a song being too high is that queer people like it, yes, that is completely based in bigotry.
VanillaFire1000
Let's Get It On

Post by VanillaFire1000 »

[youtube-https][/youtube-https]Saying Dreams is up there just from a meme is like saying September is so high because of Demi Adejuyigbe.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

BleuPanda wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 am
I have directly told you before that I use they/them pronouns, so repeatedly misgendering me here is not helping prove that you are 'anti-bigotry' when it comes to LGBTQ issues. And when your stated issue with a song being too high is that queer people like it, yes, that is completely based in bigotry.
You can use whatever pronouns you want, but I don't use they/them for a singular entity. You have a choice of he or she or it, which one do you want me to use?

No, my stated issue is that the song is too high because its position is based on non musical factors related to lyrics and point of view. What those factors specifically are is not at all relevant to my issue. I only mentioned the LBGTQ thing because someone in the DDD forum answered my inquiry as to what makes the song stand out from the thousand other similarly sounding Madonna like dance records. He explained to me why the song is so highly rated on the RS list.

I have the same problem with Joni MItchell records that are on the list. They are rated very highly for non musical reasons, namely her lyrics and point of view. I have the same problem with the Velvet Underground. Their records are rated very highly because of lyrics, subject matter, and point of view, rather than musicianship, chord changes, melody, counter melody, or vocal talents.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

By the way, i am not alone in not caring about lyrics. Check out this thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LetsTalkMusic/ ... ut_lyrics/

======================================================================================================

Posted byu/m0ng0b0ng0
4 years ago
I love music but don't really care about lyrics.
I'm a big fan of music like everyone here, and I listen to most genres of music. But when it comes to lyrics, I just don't really care that much. All of my music friends think it's silly to not care about lyrics but I just never have. I'm way more interested in the sounds and the music itself.

This opinion was also one of the main reasons it took me such a long time to get into rap music, I love it now but that's because I started to appreciate the beats and flow of individual rappers. Also in rap music I can enjoy good bars and clever rhymes (Tribe Called Quest comes to mind). But when it comes to deeper meanings in lyrics (eg Bob Dylan, Kendrick Lamar, both of whom I'm a fan of) I just don't care.

This also comes up with concept albums, I love many concept albums but don't know or care about the story that is being told.

Does anyone else feel this way about music? I'm interested to hear this sub's take on it.

========================================================================================================
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

[deleted]
·
4y
Definitely similar feeling from me. Music is first and foremost--if not exclusively--an auditory form of art. If you have to read the lyrics to appreciate the song, I'm not sure it's really worthy of garnering praise. At what point is it no longer a song but rather a poem with some sounds? Sure, you can still appreciate a poem, but if I'm evaluating something as music, I evaluate as much as possible on an auditory level.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 am I have the same problem with the Velvet Underground. Their records are rated very highly because of lyrics, subject matter, and point of view, rather than musicianship, chord changes, melody, counter melody, or vocal talents.
The Velvet Underground isn’t rated highly because of lyrics alone? Take out their lyrics and their noise sound is still highly influential and beloved. Hell, Heroin is considered crazy and exciting BECAUSE of the fact it only has two chords, contrary to your statement that they don’t care about chord changes. I mean yeah the point of view was a part of the appeal and influence, but if you think that musicianship has nothing to do with the lasting impact of the Velvet Underground just because you don’t like their style, you’re living in ignorance around the history of rock music.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Holden wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 am The Velvet Underground isn’t rated highly because of lyrics alone? Take out their lyrics and their noise sound is still highly influential and beloved.
Beloved by a relatively very small number of people. Play "Heroin" for random people on the street and 95% of them will hate it, as I do. I've personally played it for dozens of people and not one of them has liked it yet, and they all insist that I turn it off within a minute or less.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Holden wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:13 am I mean yeah the point of view was a part of the appeal and influence, but if you think that musicianship has nothing to do with the lasting impact of the Velvet Underground just because you don’t like their style, you’re living in ignorance around the history of rock music.
For me rock music is of no interest after the early 80s. Once alternative started, which is the VU's main area of influence, I hate it. And I blame the VU influence for much of me hating that stuff. They made it acceptable for people who can't sing to make music as long as they have a point of view. Tons of those alternative songs have a monotone Lou Reed type singer droning on about some shit.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

You know I saw the list was posted and came here immediately expecting some good mudslinging and chaos. This was, uh, more than I expected.

Also, I know it was a long shot/very unlikely, but man with the Fleetwood Mac surge and a few other new pieces of 80s rock I was kinda hoping for a Don't Dream It's Over mention. Maybe it needs to be featured in a few more Tik Toks...
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 am
BleuPanda wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 am

You can use whatever pronouns you want, but I don't use they/them for a singular entity. You have a choice of he or she or it, which one do you want me to use?

No, my stated issue is that the song is too high because its position is based on non musical factors related to lyrics and point of view. What those factors specifically are is not at all relevant to my issue. I only mentioned the LBGTQ thing because someone in the DDD forum answered my inquiry as to what makes the song stand out from the thousand other similarly sounding Madonna like dance records. He explained to me why the song is so highly rated on the RS list.

I have the same problem with Joni MItchell records that are on the list. They are rated very highly for non musical reasons, namely her lyrics and point of view. I have the same problem with the Velvet Underground. Their records are rated very highly because of lyrics, subject matter, and point of view, rather than musicianship, chord changes, melody, counter melody, or vocal talents.
Hymie, I know you probably don't care how your posts come across to others who take issue with them. That said, I think you're being cruel here. BleuPanda is certainly in no need of my defense or that of anyone else, but seeing your post made me upset on their behalf. It isn't hard to use someone's preferred pronouns, or heck, avoid pronouns altogether if need be. Insisting that BleuPanda has the choice between "he", "she", or "it", comes across as deliberately spiteful.

I know you have a lot of musical knowledge and that you contribute to many different music communities, so it surprises me a little that you keep having these run-ins with users. As far as I know, nobody else on this forum has come close to as many negative encounters with other posters, and it gives the impression that you aren't open to acknowledging that you can cross the line at times.

I know it's generally a good practice to ignore content that seems intended to stir up negative reactions rather than to engage with it, but this post went beyond what I was comfortable merely reading without responding.
Last edited by Moonbeam on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

As for "Dancing on My Own", it is beloved for the same reasons that all of these other songs are beloved --- it has a wide-reaching and lasting impact on people. I love Madonna, too (she's a lot higher than Robyn on my all-time list), yet I don't think Madonna ever had a song as emotionally visceral as "Dancing on My Own". As far as the music and musicianship, those sharp, machine-gunning 16th notes bursting through the speakers like her heart exploding through her sleeve are enough to set my hair on end without even mentioning her heartbreaking vocal delivery and the manner in which she captures the crushing despair of unrequited love. It's basically THE heartbreak-on-the-dancefloor song, and the power that the best of those songs wield is momentous.
keater
Are You Experienced?

Post by keater »

Safetycat wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:14 am Also, I know it was a long shot/very unlikely, but man with the Fleetwood Mac surge and a few other new pieces of 80s rock I was kinda hoping for a Don't Dream It's Over mention. Maybe it needs to be featured in a few more Tik Toks...
Love that song!

If television shows still had a major cultural grip, 'The Americans' could've done for that song what 'The Sopranos' did for Don't Stop Believin'.

How 'The Sopranos' Finale Revitalized Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

My observations
:music-listening:

Confused list:
I really found the ranking very confusing, the magazine threw it everywhere, unlike the list of albums that had a certain coherence.
But the list has its good points.

Great 60s Rock sequel:
The 60's rock sequel to the Top 20 is almost perfect: ‘Like a Rolling Stone’, ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, ‘God Only Knows’, Gimme Shelter’ and ‘Waterloo Sunset’

‘Get Ur Freak On’ is the new ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’:
This is the song that will be the biggest of the 2000’s for the next generations
It will be the critics' favorite new watershed classic

Great POP songs on the list:
Really good and relevant pop songs made the list (there were some horrible ones too)
The best: the influential 'Running Up That Hill', 'I Feel Love', 'Freedom! '90' 1990', 'West End Girls', Bad Guy', Enjoy the Silence', You Make Me Feel', Sweet Dreams' and even the autotune precursor 'Believe'

These could drop 50 or 100 positions:
It's a bit exaggerated ‘Royals’ and Gasoline’ in the Top 50, as well as, ‘Thak You, Next’ in the Top 200
But they are nice songs

The 100 biggest surprises:
After following through the RS website the big mess that was this list, surely the biggest surprise of the Top 100 was the unexpected increase ‘Tumbling Dice’
PS: ‘Roadrunner’ was also unexpected

Madonna had a decent break this time:
Also, the choices of songs to represent her were great, especially ‘Like a Prayer’ in the top 100.

Beyoncé:
Beyoncé also had a prominence befitting her legacy
But I think in place of ‘Singles Ladies’ it should be a song from the 2010s, like ‘Love on Top’ or ‘Flawless’
After all, if Beyoncé is what she is today, it's because of what she did in the past decade

Beatles romantic block:
Yes that's a silly observation: Near position number 100 there are several romantic Beatles songs all together, I thought it was unnecessary

Ex-King of Rock:

Apparently Elvis has lost his crown, and Chuck Berry and Little Richard are sitting on the same throne.

OutKast at the top:
In this update, they are on the same level as Prince and MJ

'All Along the Watchtower’ The Legend Come True:

It always seemed a fait accompli that Hendrix's biggest and most iconic song was 'All Along the Watchtower', but only now has it become a fact

'Hallelujah':
Replaced the perfect work with a rough draft
Last edited by Elder on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

The supreme 'Gloria':
Debuting right in the Top 100

Victory for all female artists… Except Janis Joplin:
It was all beautiful, Aretha at the top, Bikini Kill, Joni Mitchell, Nina Simone's debut, but just these damn voters forgot who Janis Joplin was.

‘Spoonful’ had a significant improvement:
Running away from the logic of this list of toppling pre-Beatles Rock ‘Spoonful’ moved up a few positions

Great replacements for Bowie and Neil Young:
Goodbye: ‘For What It's Worth’, Rockin' In The Free World’ and ‘Ziggy Stardust’
Welcome: ‘Life on Mars?’, ‘Space Oddity’, ‘Powderfinger’ and ‘After the Gold Rush’

Lots silly Rocks:
Anyway, they could eliminate half of those songs: 'Livin' on a Prayer', 'More Than a Feeling', 'Jump', 'Rock and Roll All Nite', 'Maggie May', 'American Girl', 'Night Moves', 'Don't Stop Believin'', 'Super Freak' (I know this isn't Rock), 'You Shook Me All Night Long'

Elton John became a giant:
And they didn't even have to put 'Bennie and the Jets' in the package to prove it

Less obvious choices for some artists:
‘Left of the Dial’, Heavy Metal Drummer’, Bad Reputation’, Station to Station’, Tyrone'
And especially ‘House of Balloons’, mainly because in my opinion in the 2010s there was an excess of hits from the charts

It's amazing, but these are debuts:
'Cross Road Blues', 'Pancho and Lefty', 'This Land Is Your Land' and Big Mama's 'Hound Dog'
Even though these songs are more in line with the previous list, they only debuted in 2021

Less Nirvana:
In the previous list there were only 20 songs from the 90s (approximately) and 5 of those songs were from Nirvana
A huge exaggeration

Surprise with Pink Floyd:
I was very surprised when comparing this list with the previous one and noticing that Pink Floyd is better in version 2021
I assume that the gentlemen who voted for the previous list considered the band a bit modern
Bonus surprise: 'White Rabbit' improved its performance on the 2021 list

Fiona Teen:
Yes, the two songs by fiona apple that made the list are from her youthful stage.
They could have included a song from a newer album instead of one of the songs that came in.

'Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma)' on the List:
A really amazing choice and nothing obvious, a great song

Missed an opportunity with Lana Del Rey:
Well, I've already realized that, like me, RS isn't a big fan of 'Video Games', but instead of including 'Mariners Apartment Complex' like they did on the decade list and cementing the legacy of her biggest album, they simply they put on random and irrelevant music.

I will miss you:
The Times They Are A-Changin'’, ‘Voodoo Child (Slight Return)’ and Living for the City’
:greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow:
Last edited by Elder on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Elder wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:08 pm

Great 60s Rock sequel:
The 60's rock sequel to the Top 20 is almost perfect: ‘Like a Rolling Stone’, ‘Strawberry Fields Forever’, ‘God Only Knows’, Gimme Shelter’ and ‘Waterloo Sunset’
It's good for people who prefer artsy stuff, but bad for people like me who prefer fun rock and roll stuff like "Louie Louie" and "Satisfaction" and masterpieces like "My Girl" and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

Clearly it's now which songs that happen to be from the 60s are most popular with people who were born after that era rather than which songs were the most significant songs IN THE 60s.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Moonbeam wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:55 am
Hymie, I know you probably don't care how your posts come across to others who take issue with them. That said, I think you're being cruel here. BleuPanda is certainly in no need of my defense or that of anyone else, but seeing your post made me upset on their behalf. It isn't hard to use someone's preferred pronouns, or heck, avoid pronouns altogether if need be.
I'm not in the habit of being nice to a person who just said I was a bigot, but okay, I won't use pronouns at all for panda. I'll just use panda.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

For What It’s Worth missing the list entirely surprised me the most, I’d say.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm
Hymie, I know you probably don't care how your posts come across to others who take issue with them. That said, I think you're being cruel here. BleuPanda is certainly in no need of my defense or that of anyone else, but seeing your post made me upset on their behalf. It isn't hard to use someone's preferred pronouns, or heck, avoid pronouns altogether if need be.
I'm not in the habit of being nice to a person who just said I was a bigot, but okay, I won't use pronouns at all for panda. I'll just use panda.
I think apologizing for offending someone is the best course of action here, but that’s just me.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’m also not that surprised at Dreams being that high. Fleetwood Mac, and particularly Stevie Nicks, have seen a huge surge of popularity lately, not just because of the TikTok but because lots of people my age love their music and musicians they look up to (particularly Miley Cyrus and Harry Styles) have mentioned both them and Stevie as big influences. It’s also been a few years that Dreams has started to gain consensus as FM’s best song (I would still say The Chain but whatever) - I remember Pitchfork named it in their top ten of the ‘70s, and that was in 2015.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

Apparently these bum critics are more concerned with the sound of records and ignoring the great fun anthems of their generation.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Great 60s Rock sequel:
It's good for people who prefer artsy stuff, but bad for people like me who prefer fun rock and roll stuff like "Louie Louie" and "Satisfaction" and masterpieces like "My Girl" and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

Clearly it's now which songs that happen to be from the 60s are most popular with people who were born after that era rather than which songs were the most significant songs IN THE 60s.
"My Girl" and "Satisfaction" are in the top 50. Hell, "My Girl" ranks higher now than it did on the original list. And all of those songs that Elder listed were ranked highly on the original list as well, when more people who lived through the 60s were making the list.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:13 pm

Great 60s Rock sequel:

"My Girl" and "Satisfaction" are in the top 50. Hell, "My Girl" ranks higher now than it did on the original list. And all of those songs that Elder listed were ranked highly on the original list as well, when more people who lived through the 60s were making the list.
All those songs but Like a Rolling Stone and Satisfaction rank higher on this list than the last two (and I for one am delighted to see Waterloo Sunset in the top twenty!).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Just to be clear, refusing to use someone's correct pronouns and offering up 'it' as a replacement is a rather common from of transphobia, which is a form of bigotry. You can't be mad at me for calling you out here when you are actively choosing to reinforce my claim instead of apologizing.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Great 60s Rock sequel:

I mean, yeah? This isn’t a list made in the 60s? It reflects the songs that people care about in 2021, when the list was made? I’m confused about your complaint. Why would people voting for their favorite songs right now care about what people in the 60s liked?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Holden wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:24 pm

Great 60s Rock sequel:

I mean, yeah? This isn’t a list made in the 60s? It reflects the songs that people care about in 2021, when the list was made? I’m confused about your complaint. Why would people voting for their favorite songs right now care about what people in the 60s liked?
That line of thinking would keep music from ever moving forward. There’s a reason the songs from the ‘60s that made the list made the list, regardless of their popularity at the time. It means they held up!
cregis
Start Me Up

Post by cregis »

What an interesting list! As always, a lot to digest, but a few initial thoughts:

Similarly surprised at Dreams’s resurgence. Top 10 is likely a bit much, but I’m not mad and love that Rumours is well-represented. Of all of Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks showcases, I’d probably actually replace it with Rhiannon. Aside from preferring the song in general, it seems like that song was our introduction to Stevie and laid the blueprint for her career/persona moving forward.

Another thing that struck me about this list was double inclusion of songs along with their remakes or samples. Definitely open to including both tracks on the list, but some of these seem a bit redundant. The examples that jump out:
Mr. Tambourine Man (The Byrds version feels like the more important one here)
Hound Dog (I’d be good keeping Big Mama Thornton over Elvis, since he is well-represented otherwise and has more seemingly important contributions)
Gloria
Killing Me Softly
I Can’t Stand the Rain/The Rain

There’s also a bit of a recency bias, but I guess that is to be expected. I think I’d just wait a few years before determining that the Savage remix and Harry Styles’ sign of the Times make the cut.

Speaking of, I was a bit surprised Prince’s Sign O the Times wasn’t one of his many entries. But I’m always of the mindset that we can never have too much Prince.

Fun to see some unexpected entries from expected artists. Dreaming by Blondie is one of my favorites of theirs, but I did not expect to see it here. A pleasant surprise!

I think Frank Ocean is a bit underrated here. His short but impressive discography provides so many options perhaps it split the vote. I’d love for his one entry to be higher (and for Nights to be included somewhere).

I may be in the vast minority here, but while I love both songs, for me Thunder Road > Born to Run

I hate to be a bit cynical here, but I suspect that if Toxic were sung by any other artist, it would be easily in the top 50.

Last thought: great to have a woman at the top! Critics’ lists are (very slowly) starting to feel like less of a boys’ club. Still a long ways to go.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

cregis wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:11 pm
I hate to be a bit cynical here, but I suspect that if Toxic were sung by any other artist, it would be easily in the top 50.
I might actually think the opposite - a few inclusions here make it clear they are appealing to recent news events, so all the focus on Britney Spears recently probably helped.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm
Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm I'm not in the habit of being nice to a person who just said I was a bigot, but okay, I won't use pronouns at all for panda. I'll just use panda.
I think apologizing for offending someone is the best course of action here, but that’s just me.
...and count down to the almost-inevitable "Sorry if you were offended"...
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Harold wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:46 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:57 pm
Hymie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:56 pm I'm not in the habit of being nice to a person who just said I was a bigot, but okay, I won't use pronouns at all for panda. I'll just use panda.
...and count down to the almost-inevitable "Sorry if you were offended"...
Based on a couple messages I received through my personal website, I have reason to believe we can end this part of the thread here.

Return to “ALL TIME”