500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by StevieFan13 »

I am delighted by both Fight the Power and Get Ur Freak On being in the top 10. Both well-deserved.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jamieW
Full of Fire
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jamieW »

Is there a reason Rolling Stone can't just release the individual ballots to the public? (They aren't medical records.) I would find that far more fascinating than the list itself. Not to mention, like a few others, I'm VERY skeptical that they truly went through everyone's lists and applied some 50 pts. - 1 pt. formula, or such, and this is truly the list they arrived at. While I don't have any more issues with the list than any other compiled by some entity (AM is the only source I even take seriously), I'd love to be able to add up those individual RS lists myself and see the resulting top 500. I suspect those lists were used more as "recommendations" to RS than anything else.
jdizzle83
Strange Fruit
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jdizzle83 »

A lot of conspiracy theories here but in my opinion the list is so random in many ways that it seems completely apparent that they did indeed aggregate the votes. A curated list would be much more, well…curated. If they ask another 250 people to also contribute it might look wildly different (with of course, some of the same “classics” on it). It depends on who is asked and age does probably play a role. For lots of younger voters, “Royals” was probably a top pick, even though it might not necessarily be if you polled a bunch of “older” folks.
jdizzle83
Strange Fruit
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jdizzle83 »

Personally I’d be most interested in seeing a critics only list, with no industry insiders or artists. Even more critics than RS gathered, something really akin to the Sight and Sound polls.
User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by StevieFan13 »

jdizzle83 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 pm A lot of conspiracy theories here but in my opinion the list is so random in many ways that it seems completely apparent that they did indeed aggregate the votes. A curated list would be much more, well…curated. If they ask another 250 people to also contribute it might look wildly different (with of course, some of the same “classics” on it). It depends on who is asked and age does probably play a role. For lots of younger voters, “Royals” was probably a top pick, even though it might not necessarily be if you polled a bunch of “older” folks.
Yeah, and it shows compared to the 2003/2010 lists. There were more picks on that list that felt like they were "important" rather than "favorites" (I, for instance, do not know anyone here who'd named "For Your Precious Love" or "Maybe" as among their favorite songs ever - I could be wrong, but Hymie isn't around anymore to prove me otherwise yet - but they are, in a sense, important songs).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
jamieW
Full of Fire
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jamieW »

Deleted post
Last edited by jamieW on Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamieW
Full of Fire
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jamieW »

(The last 2 posts were just me continuing to ponder the RS list-making method. Unless someone personally knows those who tabulated the lists, or RS is willing to release the individual ballots like Sight & Sound does, there's no way to know for sure, so I'm letting the subject drop. Besides, of the top 10 alone I give five songs a 10, two 9s, two 8s and only one 5, so I don't know what I'm complaining about.) :whistle:
User avatar
Rob
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Rob »

jdizzle83 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:03 pm A curated list would be much more, well…curated.
It does still feel rather curated to me, but not in the way the original list was. For the record, Rolling Stone never claimed the list was an aggregate. My feeling is that they used the combined as a sort of guideline to streamline the list.

When I say that the list looks curated I'm not even so much talking about individual song picks, but more about the semi-perfect way the list tries to please everyone. The old and new songs interchange nicely. Almost every major artist gets neatly one pick, with only the biggest icons more. How I interpret it then is that the send in lists gave them an impression about which artists, styles and songs where popular and then went on to reflect that in the final results. I also got this feeling with the album list, by the way. The fact that the magazine does not state it is an aggregate and also doesn't share the individual lists enhances that idea. I mean, revealing top 10 lists by famous artists and critics would draw a lot more people to the website, so why wouldn't you?

And this is speculation (as this whole post is), but I suspect that 2010 songs in particular would have done worse in the top 100 if it was an aggregate. Not because they are inferior, but because artist top 10's tend to favor songs that influences them, which mostly means they will be at least 10 years old and frequently older. This has been seen with many similar project, like Sight & Sound.

For the record, I don't think going for curation is necessarily a bad idea.
jamieW
Full of Fire
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by jamieW »

Alright, I'm back. Rolling Stone reveals this to be their method of calculating the data:

"Voters were asked to submit ranked ballots listing their 50 favorite songs of all time. Votes were tabulated, with the highest-ranked song on each list receiving 300 points, the second highest 290 points, and so on down to 44 points for number 50. More than 4,000 songs received at least one vote."

It is suspicious they're keeping the individual lists a secret. I don't even care if it was a curated list. (As Rob said, I don't think a curated list would necessarily be a bad thing.) I'd just love to be able to play around with the data to see how different blocs voted. (Critics & journalists vs. artists for example.) Unfortunately, I think if there was any chance of that happening, it would have already...
phil
Different Class
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:03 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by phil »

As JamieW stated, they have explicitly stated that this is aggregated, not curated - along with the methodology. Which they don’t always do. So I don’t see any reason not to believe them.

The editorialising is in the selection of who votes. And it is true that for example the voters tend to be a mix of old white guys, and millenials - missing the middle aged folks.

The process as they laid out seems like it would naturally lead to some random results - 250 voting for only 50 songs each. 4,000 unique votes which means a lot of single vote songs (average of around 3 votes for each of those 4,000 - and there will be a strong skew of multiple votes at the high end). Probably you only need three (perhaps high-ish) votes to get in.
User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by StevieFan13 »

For what it's worth, they are sharing some of the ballots with commentary by the voters. Here's Sam Smith's:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1233046/
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henry
Full of Fire
Posts: 1764
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Henry »

StevieFan13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm I am delighted by both Fight the Power and Get Ur Freak On being in the top 10. Both well-deserved.
I'm happy for you. I'm not much of a fan of either of those songs.

I wonder how forum participants view the songs that made the RS top 500 that (according to my usually flawed records) did not place in our 2018 forum poll.

My All-Time Rank - Artist - Title - Year - RS Rank
Daddy Yankee - Gasolina - 2004 - 50 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
9829. Taylor Swift - All Too Well 2012 69
9808. Ariana Grande thank u, next 2018 137
8005. George Jones He Stopped Loving Her Today 1980 142
2234. The Shirelles / Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow / 1961 151
7715. The Meters Cissy Strut 1969 158
8284. Billie Eilish Bad Guy 2019 178
591. Stevie Wonder / Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours / 1970 203
NR Aaliyah Are You That Somebody? 1998 238 (3.2 out of 10)
NR Digital Underground The Humpty Dance 1990 241 (3.6 out of 10)
NR Joan Jett and The Blackhearts Bad Reputation 1980 249 (3.6 out of 10)
7207. Willie Nelson Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain 1975 253
7130. Loretta Lynn Coal Miner's Daughter 1970 255
BU Paul Simon American Tune 1973 262
BU Augustus Pablo King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown 1975 266
Drake Take Care 2011 267 (4 out of 10)
NR Clipse Grindin' 2002 281 (2.6 out of 10)
NR The Funky Four Plus One That's the Joint 1980 288 (2.6 out of 10)
NR A Tribe Called Quest Can I Kick It? 1990 292 (3.6 out of 10)
Liz Phair Divorce Song 1993 308 (4.2 out of 10)
6353. Rilo Kiley Portions for Foxes 2004 326
Bad Bunny Safaera 2020 329 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body (House Music Anthem) 1986 335 (4 out of 10)
7652. Chuck Berry Promised Land 1964 342
BTS Dynamite 2020 346 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
John Prine Angel From Montgomery 1971 350 (I do not recall hearing this version of the song before)
7891. Jorge Ben Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma) 1976 351
8228. Fugees Killing Me Softly 1996 359
BU Kacey Musgraves Merry Go 'Round 2012 362
6373. William DeVaughn Be Thankful for What You Got 1974 374
BU Merle Haggard Mama Tried 1968 376
9918. Fountains of Wayne Radiation Vibe 1996 380
NR The Slits Typical Girls 1979 381 (3.2 out of 10)
Cardi B feat. Bad Bunny and J Balvin I Like It 2018 384 (4 out of 10)
New York Dolls Personality Crisis 1973 387 4 out of 10)
NR DMX Party Up (Up in Here) 1999 388 (3.2 out of 10)
Eric Church Springsteen 2011 391 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
NR James Brown Say It Loud - I'm Black and I'm Proud 1968 393 (4.2 out of 10)
7962. Sylvester You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) 1978 399
9125. Rufus & Chaka Khan Ain't Nobody 1983 403
Selena Amor Prohibido 1994 405 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
NR Run-D.M.C. Sucker MC's 1983 406 (3.2 out of 10)
NR Craig Mack Flava In Ya Ear 1994 422 (2.6 out of 10)
NR Nicki Minaj Super Bass 2011 426 (2 out of 10)
9860. Harry Styles Sign of the Times 2017 428
9718. Prince Adore 1987 431
Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyonce Savage 2020 438 (3.6 out of 10)
Celia Cruz La Vida Es un Carnaval 1998 439 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
Miranda Lambert The House That Built Me 2009 441 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
7246. Fall Out Boy Sugar, We're Going Down 2005 443
Erykah Badu Tyrone 1997 448 (4.2 out of 10)
NR Migos feat. Lil Uzi Vert Bad and Boujee 2016 451 (3.6 out of 10)
BU Sister Nancy Bam Bam 1982 454
Steel Pulse Ku Klux Klan 1978 460 (I do not recall hearing this song before)
2784. Luther Vandross / Never Too Much / 1981 466
Dixie Chicks / Goodbye Earl 2000 469 (4 out of 10)
BU Kris Kristofferson Sunday Mornin’ Coming Down 1970 476
NR Juvenile Back That Azz Up 1998 478 (3.6 out of 10)
NR Biz Markie - Just a Friend 1989 480 (3.6 out of 10)
212 Azealia Banks 2011 485 (2 out of 10)
NR Lil Wayne A Milli 2008 486 (1 out of 10)
The Weeknd House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls 2011 488 (4 out of 10)
9811. Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus Old Town Road (Remix) 2019 490
NR Lizzo Truth Hurts 2017 497 (3.2 out of 10)

Only 1 of these songs was in my top 1000: Stevie Wonder / Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours / 1970

I plan to listen to the following songs in the next week or so:
Bad Bunny Safaera 2020 329
John Prine Angel From Montgomery 1971 350
Eric Church Springsteen 2011 391
Selena Amor Prohibido 1994 405
Celia Cruz La Vida Es un Carnaval 1998 439
Miranda Lambert The House That Built Me 2009

If anyone has any affection for these songs, please let me know so I can prioritize my listening.

Thanks!
User avatar
Rob
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5159
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:53 pm
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Rob »

phil wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:29 am As JamieW stated, they have explicitly stated that this is aggregated, not curated - along with the methodology. Which they don’t always do. So I don’t see any reason not to believe them.

The editorialising is in the selection of who votes. And it is true that for example the voters tend to be a mix of old white guys, and millenials - missing the middle aged folks.

The process as they laid out seems like it would naturally lead to some random results - 250 voting for only 50 songs each. 4,000 unique votes which means a lot of single vote songs (average of around 3 votes for each of those 4,000 - and there will be a strong skew of multiple votes at the high end). Probably you only need three (perhaps high-ish) votes to get in.
Ah, I couldn't see the methodology section as it is only for subscribers on the website, so there was some guesswork. I also can't read the Sam Smith list for example.
User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2690
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Listyguy »

Rob wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 am I also can't read the Sam Smith list for example.
I was able to read the article in an incognito window. I think it's only a top 10 (or the rest of the list was hidden to me). Only one of Sam Smith's choices made the final list as far as I can tell:

1. Aretha Franklin, “Bridge Over Troubled Water”
2. Joni Mitchell, “A Case of You”
3. ABBA, “The Winner Takes It All”
4. Stevie Wonder, “Knocks Me Off My Feet”
5. Rihanna, “We Found Love”
6. Randy Newman, “Feels Like Home”
7. Celine Dion, “It’s All Coming Back to Me”
8. Robyn, “Be Mine”
9. Feist, “The Park”
10. Amy Winehouse, “You Sent Me Flying”
panam
Full of Fire
Posts: 1430
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:21 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by panam »

Henry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am
StevieFan13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm I am delighted by both Fight the Power and Get Ur Freak On being in the top 10. Both well-deserved.


I plan to listen to the following songs in the next week or so:
Bad Bunny Safaera 2020 329
John Prine Angel From Montgomery 1971 350
Eric Church Springsteen 2011 391
Selena Amor Prohibido 1994 405
Celia Cruz La Vida Es un Carnaval 1998 439
Miranda Lambert The House That Built Me 2009

If anyone has any affection for these songs, please let me know so I can prioritize my listening.

Thanks!
"La vida es un carnaval" and "Amor prohibido" are really bit hits of Latin music of the 90s...if you want a good salsa and a good cumbia song listen to them.

About "Safaera", i'm not the big fan of that song. It's interesting as Bad Bunny try to recreate in 2020 a reggaeton old school song of the early 90s but the lyrics are like WAP. If you like very dirty explicit music it's cool but i think there are better reggaeton songs to discover.
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2314
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: Lille (France)

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Nassim »

Henry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am I wonder how forum participants view the songs that made the RS top 500 that (according to my usually flawed records) did not place in our 2018 forum poll.
Bad Guy is probably an outlier as it wasn't released but most likely will make our updated list. Wouldn't be floored if Thank U Next was somewhere in the bottom of our new top 1000 too.
I am however really surprised that 212 didn't make our previous list, one of the best bangers of the past decade.

I hate Gasolina and I think I have hated it ever since the first time I heard it at parties when I was a student.
I quite dislike Cardi B feat. Bad Bunny and J Balvin - I Like It too

My other favs :
Clipse Grindin' : one of the best and barest Pharrell Williams production
The Funky Four Plus One That's the Joint 1980 : possibly the coolest and most enjoyable song of the early hip-hop, over any Grandmaster Flash track
A Tribe Called Quest Can I Kick It? : there's not much in the 2 first ATCQ albums that I don't like, this is not there very best but still in the first tier
Lil Wayne A Milli
Nicki Minaj Super Bass : one of the most fun songs of the decade, Nicki sounds just unstoppable and the beat is like a bubblegum The Knife
Fall Out Boy Sugar, We're Going Down : I feel that Fall Out Boy have been dismissed by critics for a long time (though I think it's changing), but while their albums aren't very good, a lot of their singles are pretty great I think

Those 2 aren't in my top 1000 but if a DJ played them at a party, I'd think he's doing a great job !
7962. Sylvester You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) 1978 399
9125. Rufus & Chaka Khan Ain't Nobody 1983 403

Not in my list either but classics I'm happy to see make the cut :
The Slits Typical Girls 1979 381 (3.2 out of 10)
New York Dolls Personality Crisis 1973 387 4 out of 10)
Sister Nancy Bam Bam 1982 454
Biz Markie - Just a Friend 1989 480 (3.6 out of 10)
User avatar
StevieFan13
Leader of the Pack
Posts: 5095
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by StevieFan13 »

That’s the Joint was another song I was pleasantly surprised to see rank relatively high
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jackson
Full of Fire
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Jackson »

I've spent plenty of time dissing this list in this thread, but there here are some songs that I was pleased to see. Not necessarily my absolute favorites, but what placements I enjoyed the most relative to what I would have expected. Many of these should see a nice boost on the AM list whenever this list is incorporated.

452 Toto, 'Africa' 1982
434 Ramones, 'Sheena Is a Punk Rocker' 1977
430 Pete Rock and CL Smooth, 'They Reminisce Over You' 1992
414 Blondie, 'Dreaming' 1979
400 David Bowie, 'Station to Station' 1976
381 The Slits, 'Typical Girls' 1979
352 Ice Cube, 'It Was a Good Day' 1992
351 Jorge Ben, 'Ponta de Lança Africano (Umbabarauma)' 1976
340 The Clash, '(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais' 1978
296 Bikini Kill, 'Rebel Girl' 1993
246 Faces, 'Ooh La La' 1973
239 Big Star, 'September Gurls' 1974
215 Mobb Deep, 'Shook Ones, Pt. II' 1995
192 Geto Boys, 'Mind Playing Tricks on Me' 1991
161 Madonna, 'Into the Groove' 1985
120 X-Ray Spex, 'Oh Bondage! Up Yours!' 1977
99 Bee Gees, 'Stayin' Alive' 1977
91 UGK feat. Outkast, 'Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)' 2007
81 The Velvet Underground, 'I’m Waiting for the Man' 1967
75 Pulp, 'Common People' 1996
68 Chic, 'Good Times' 1979
60 Kate Bush, 'Running Up That Hill' 1985
48 Radiohead, 'Idioteque' 2000
39 Outkast, 'B.O.B.' 2000
20 Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' 2010
14 The Kinks, 'Waterloo Sunset' 1967
2 Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' 1989
acr0320
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by acr0320 »

panam wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:26 pm
Henry wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 am
StevieFan13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:09 pm I am delighted by both Fight the Power and Get Ur Freak On being in the top 10. Both well-deserved.


I plan to listen to the following songs in the next week or so:
Bad Bunny Safaera 2020 329
John Prine Angel From Montgomery 1971 350
Eric Church Springsteen 2011 391
Selena Amor Prohibido 1994 405
Celia Cruz La Vida Es un Carnaval 1998 439
Miranda Lambert The House That Built Me 2009

If anyone has any affection for these songs, please let me know so I can prioritize my listening.

Thanks!
"La vida es un carnaval" and "Amor prohibido" are really bit hits of Latin music of the 90s...if you want a good salsa and a good cumbia song listen to them.

About "Safaera", i'm not the big fan of that song. It's interesting as Bad Bunny try to recreate in 2020 a reggaeton old school song of the early 90s but the lyrics are like WAP. If you like very dirty explicit music it's cool but i think there are better reggaeton songs to discover.
Yeah I like Bad Bunny quite a bit but not crazy about that song. The Selena and Celia Cruz songs are classics. I would have gone for a different John Prine song but it’s a solid choice nonetheless. I like the Lambert song, and the Eric Church song does nothing for me
ColmD
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by ColmD »

keater wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:44 pm The list has a little bit of everything (except Jazz, which got f*cked here), and seriously lacking some of the essential Blues tracks.

Order is whatever, for a 'starter list', it's okay. It could be worse.

Seems Jazz and Blues can't win on a songs list going forward.
Electronic/Dance music almost non-existent on the list considering its influence over the last 30 odd years. Daft Punk recognised for their most recent and obvious hit but 95-01 period tracks are almost better representations. Unfinished Sympathy and Born Slippy seemed to this listener as obvious inclusions. Chemical Brothers could have had a mention even any one of Can You Feel it/Acid Trax/Voodoo Ray/Pacific State both for their quality and lasting influence. Burials 'Archangel' would have been a good shout to keep it more modern.

Seems that doesn't fit the cozy, almost VH1 style of Rolling Stone.
Cicice
Wannabe
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:54 pm

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Cicice »

ColmD wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:41 pm
keater wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:44 pm The list has a little bit of everything (except Jazz, which got f*cked here), and seriously lacking some of the essential Blues tracks.

Order is whatever, for a 'starter list', it's okay. It could be worse.

Seems Jazz and Blues can't win on a songs list going forward.
Electronic/Dance music almost non-existent on the list considering its influence over the last 30 odd years. Daft Punk recognised for their most recent and obvious hit but 95-01 period tracks are almost better representations. Unfinished Sympathy and Born Slippy seemed to this listener as obvious inclusions. Chemical Brothers could have had a mention even any one of Can You Feel it/Acid Trax/Voodoo Ray/Pacific State both for their quality and lasting influence. Burials 'Archangel' would have been a good shout to keep it more modern.

Seems that doesn't fit the cozy, almost VH1 style of Rolling Stone.
It's actually been awhile since I've seen "Unfinished Sympathy" and "Born Slippy" along with "Firestarter" and "Windowlicker" made it onto nearly any list (particularly the ranked ones) from the last 2 years. Blue Lines has also only made moderate album list appearances and moderately high placed rank whilst the rest of the 90s Top 10 albums (except Entroducing) has made frequent entries and keeps outpeaking Blue Lines several times. It'll be interesting to see if Unfinished Sympathy can keep itself in the Top 100 and 90s Top 10. Born Slippy I think is set to exit the Top 150 and 90s Top 15. :o
ColmD
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by ColmD »

Unfinished Sympathy seems to holding steady looking at the historical rankings. Born Slippy relatively so but would hate to see it drop downwards. It deserves its high placing .
Marshall Jefferson 'Move Your Body' is featured from 1986 and I don't think there is another after that for 20 years unless I'm mistaken.
I think there is a UK-US divide there for that period to a small degree. RS have much more of an eye to US mainstream chart music (I find that they and Billboard have very similar tastes when it comes to EOY lists) but dance music was a big presence on UK charts for almost 20 years (about 20% of best selling songs were EDM over the years) yet not the case on the Billboard Hot 100.

The most obvious songs missing from the RS list (looking at the top 300 on AM) for the decade from my point of view are:
There She Goes; Unfinished Sympathy; Live Forever, Girls & Boys; Born Slippy, 1979, Da Funk. Firestarter, Bittersweet Symphony, Paranoid Android; Song 2; Windowlicker.

One thing that stands out is the majority are UK and Electronic/Dance songs peppered in there. There are plenty of UK featured regardless but looking at some songs in their list that I feel are outside the bracket are: I Can't Make You Love Me; I Will Always Love You; Doll Parts; Fantasy; Believe; I Want It That Way. Fine songs in their own way but predictable chooses and mainly US.

To be fair it is a US mag although I think it is surely a global publication now and the same issue would occur for say an NME 500.

The 2010's songs were very mainstream choices particularly for the latter years though delighted that Cranes In The Sky featured.
User avatar
andyd1010
Full of Fire
Posts: 1431
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by andyd1010 »

ColmD wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:41 pm Electronic/Dance music almost non-existent on the list considering its influence over the last 30 odd years. Daft Punk recognised for their most recent and obvious hit but 95-01 period tracks are almost better representations. Unfinished Sympathy and Born Slippy seemed to this listener as obvious inclusions. Chemical Brothers could have had a mention even any one of Can You Feel it/Acid Trax/Voodoo Ray/Pacific State both for their quality and lasting influence. Burials 'Archangel' would have been a good shout to keep it more modern.

Seems that doesn't fit the cozy, almost VH1 style of Rolling Stone.
Haha, in the other elimination thread from the 2018 AMF top 1000, I eliminated Born Slippy .NUXX on the first day and Archangel on the second. Unfinished Sympathy won't last much longer. I guess this is as much a musical blind spot for me as it is for Rolling Stone. If these are the world's greatest dance songs, it seems odd that I have never heard any of them at a dance, and I don't find them very danceable. On the other hand, I have heard Daft Punk's biggest songs at dozens if not hundreds of dances, and those are very danceable, so I think Get Lucky's inclusion is well deserved, and I would have expected One More Time to remain on the list as well.

I'm curious why people think Born Slippy .NUXX deserves its high placing, since it is the song I connect the least with in the forum's top 1000. There is a nice, if understated, melody at the beginning, and then the song is overwhelmed by the beat as any sense of melody completely disappears, and there is an onslaught of atonal singing. I can see how the beat was influential, since I feel like I've heard it a million times in EDM songs that don't get any acclaim and that I don't like, so I don't see that as a good thing.
Jackson
Full of Fire
Posts: 1691
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by Jackson »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm
ColmD wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:41 pm Electronic/Dance music almost non-existent on the list considering its influence over the last 30 odd years. Daft Punk recognised for their most recent and obvious hit but 95-01 period tracks are almost better representations. Unfinished Sympathy and Born Slippy seemed to this listener as obvious inclusions. Chemical Brothers could have had a mention even any one of Can You Feel it/Acid Trax/Voodoo Ray/Pacific State both for their quality and lasting influence. Burials 'Archangel' would have been a good shout to keep it more modern.

Seems that doesn't fit the cozy, almost VH1 style of Rolling Stone.
Haha, in the other elimination thread from the 2018 AMF top 1000, I eliminated Born Slippy .NUXX on the first day and Archangel on the second. Unfinished Sympathy won't last much longer. I guess this is as much a musical blind spot for me as it is for Rolling Stone. If these are the world's greatest dance songs, it seems odd that I have never heard any of them at a dance, and I don't find them very danceable. On the other hand, I have heard Daft Punk's biggest songs at dozens if not hundreds of dances, and those are very danceable, so I think Get Lucky's inclusion is well deserved, and I would have expected One More Time to remain on the list as well.

I'm curious why people think Born Slippy .NUXX deserves its high placing, since it is the song I connect the least with in the forum's top 1000. There is a nice, if understated, melody at the beginning, and then the song is overwhelmed by the beat as any sense of melody completely disappears, and there is an onslaught of atonal singing. I can see how the beat was influential, since I feel like I've heard it a million times in EDM songs that don't get any acclaim and that I don't like, so I don't see that as a good thing.
Born Slippy and Unfinished Sympathy are unfamiliar to most Americans, but I believe both were massive in the UK. Archangel certainly isn't meant for dancing - Burial is more headphones music - but is widely recognized as one of the greatest electronic tracks of the 2000s due to its incredible production and influence on other artists. I've never had strong feelings about Born Slippy, but Unfinished Sympathy and Archangel are both in my AT top 100 and resonate with me emotionally, so I am surprised you are so dismissive of them.
User avatar
andyd1010
Full of Fire
Posts: 1431
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by andyd1010 »

Jackson wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:20 pm I've never had strong feelings about Born Slippy, but Unfinished Sympathy and Archangel are both in my AT top 100 and resonate with me emotionally, so I am surprised you are so dismissive of them.
Right back at you with Hotel California and Yellow! Two gorgeous songs that resonate strongly with me and not at all with you, apparently. I just looked at your top 100, and I really like more than 2/3 of the songs. But the remaining 1/3 contains several songs that I have already eliminated from the game, and it seems that the reverse is probably also true for you.

I've listened to Unfinished Sympathy and Archangel several times and just haven't heard what makes them special. I'll try again at some point.
ColmD
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:25 am

Re: 500 Greatest Songs of All Time (Rolling Stone Magazine version 2021)

Post by ColmD »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:14 pm
ColmD wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:41 pm Electronic/Dance music almost non-existent on the list considering its influence over the last 30 odd years. Daft Punk recognised for their most recent and obvious hit but 95-01 period tracks are almost better representations. Unfinished Sympathy and Born Slippy seemed to this listener as obvious inclusions. Chemical Brothers could have had a mention even any one of Can You Feel it/Acid Trax/Voodoo Ray/Pacific State both for their quality and lasting influence. Burials 'Archangel' would have been a good shout to keep it more modern.

Seems that doesn't fit the cozy, almost VH1 style of Rolling Stone.
Haha, in the other elimination thread from the 2018 AMF top 1000, I eliminated Born Slippy .NUXX on the first day and Archangel on the second. Unfinished Sympathy won't last much longer. I guess this is as much a musical blind spot for me as it is for Rolling Stone. If these are the world's greatest dance songs, it seems odd that I have never heard any of them at a dance, and I don't find them very danceable. On the other hand, I have heard Daft Punk's biggest songs at dozens if not hundreds of dances, and those are very danceable, so I think Get Lucky's inclusion is well deserved, and I would have expected One More Time to remain on the list as well.

I'm curious why people think Born Slippy .NUXX deserves its high placing, since it is the song I connect the least with in the forum's top 1000. There is a nice, if understated, melody at the beginning, and then the song is overwhelmed by the beat as any sense of melody completely disappears, and there is an onslaught of atonal singing. I can see how the beat was influential, since I feel like I've heard it a million times in EDM songs that don't get any acclaim and that I don't like, so I don't see that as a good thing.
When I use the term EDM I am covering some electronic music in a broad manner too so Massive Attack would fall under the 'trip hop' and 'downtempo' genres so less about dancing per se and more around sounds and texture. Britpop took a lot of the headlines at the time for reinvigorating British music in the wake of Grunge but in Bristol the likes of Massive Attack, Tricky and Portishead were already breathing new life into the music scene with wonderfully produced records (shout out to Portishead who didn't make the list either). Unfinished Sympathy is a bit of an iconic track this side of the Atlantic (man when those strings soar) though the equally wonderful Teardrop probably found a wider audience.

Also noticed Bjork isn't reflected in the list. Hyper-Ballad would have been a great inclusion.
Post Reply