EOY 2020 Songs List Updates

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

EOY 2020 Songs List Updates

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

USA: Uproxx, NPR, Gorilla vs Bear, Rolling Stone, Pitchfork, Treblezine, Consequence of Sound, Slant, Latin Grammys, Beats Per Minute, Billboard, American Songwriter, FLOOD Magazine
UK: The Guardian, Gigwise, Crack, NME, The Line of Best Fit
Colombia: Revista Shock (Natl)
France: Les Inrockuptibles
Germany: NBHAP, Laut
Mexico: MeHaceRuido (English), MeHaceRuido (Spanish)

1 | Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion | WAP
2 | Christine and the Queens | People, I've Been Sad
3 | Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyoncé | Savage Remix
4 | The Weeknd | Blinding Lights [2019]
5 | Phoebe Bridgers | I Know the End
6 | Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande | Rain on Me
7 | Phoebe Bridgers | Kyoto
8 | Yves Tumor | Gospel for a New Century
9 | Grimes | Delete Forever
10 | Bob Dylan | Murder Most Foul
11 | Perfume Genius | On the Floor
12 | Bad Bunny feat. Jowell & Randy and Ñengo Flow | Safaera
13 | BTS | Dynamite
14 | The 1975 | If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
15 | Miley Cyrus | Midnight Sky
16 | Fiona Apple | Shameika
17 | Fiona Apple | I Want You to Love Me
18 | Romy | Lifetime
19 | Perfume Genius | Describe
20 | Dua Lipa | Physical
21 | Rina Sawayama | XS
22 | The Chicks | Gaslighter
23 | Jayda G | Both of Us
24 | Dua Lipa | Don't Start Now [2019]
25 | Taylor Swift | The Last Great American Dynasty
26 | Caribou | Never Come Back
27 | Jessie Ware | Spotlight
28 | Waxahatchee | Fire
29 | Sault | Wildfires
30 | Run the Jewels feat. Pharrell Williams and Zack de la Rocha | Ju$t
31 | Adrianne Lenker | Anything
32 | Beabadoobee | Care
33 | Soccer Mommy | circle the drain
34 | Roddy Ricch | The Box [2019]
35 | Haim | The Steps
36 | Thundercat | Dragonball Durag
37 | Charli XCX | Claws
38 | Mac Miller | Good News
39 | Chloe x Halle | Do It
40 | Billie Eilish | Therefore I Am
41 | Porridge Radio | Sweet
42 | Fontaines D.C. | A Hero's Death
43 | Róisín Murphy | Murphy's Law
44 | Doja Cat | Say So / Say So (Remix feat. Nicki Minaj)
45 | SZA feat. Ty Dolla $ign | Hit Different
46 | RMR | Rascal
47 | Blackpink | How You Like That
48 | Dua Lipa | Hallucinate
49 | Waxahatchee | Lilacs
50 | DaBaby feat. Roddy Ricch | Rockstar
51 | Lady Gaga | Stupid Love
52 | India Jordan | For You
53 | Harry Styles | Adore You [2019]
54 | Shamir | On My Own
55 | 070 Shake | Guilty Conscience
56 | Arlo Parks | Black Dog
57 | U.S. Girls | 4 American Dollars
58 | Bad Bunny | Yo Perreo Sola
59 | Fontaines D.C. | Televised Mind
60 | Sufjan Stevens | Video Game
61 | Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver | Exile
62 | Hayley Williams | Simmer
63 | Taylor Swift | Cardigan
64 | Noname | Song 33
65 | The Strokes | The Adults Are Talking
66 | Run the Jewels | Walking in the Snow
67 | IDLES | Grounds
68 | Mickey Guyton | Black Like Me
69 | Fontaines D.C. | I Don't Belong
70 | Run the Jewels | A Few Words for the Firing Squad (Radiation)
71 | Thundercat feat. feat. Steve Lacy, Steve Arrington, and Childish Gambino | Black Qualls
72 | Jazmine Sullivan | Lost One
73 | Half Waif | Ordinary Talk
74 | Jessie Ware | What's Your Pleasure?
75 | Charli XCX | Anthems
76 | Fiona Apple | Under the Table
77 | Terrace Martin & Denzel Curry | Pig Feet
78 | Charli XCX | Forever
79 | Drake feat. Lil Durk | Laugh Now Cry Later
80 | Run the Jewels feat. Greg Nice and DJ Premier | Ooh La La
81 | Bob Dylan | Key West (Philosopher Pirate)
82 | Lil Baby | The Bigger Picture
83 | The Killers | My Own Soul's Warning
84 | Deftones | Genesis
85 | Dua Lipa | Break My Heart
86 | Phoebe Bridgers | Garden Song
87 | Sam Hunt | Hard to Forget
88 | Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist feat. Rick Ross | Scottie Beam
89 | Dua Lipa | Levitating
90 | Anderson .Paak | Lockdown / Lockdown (Remix feat. J.I.D., Noname, and Jay Rock)
91 | Ana Tijoux | Antifa Dance
92 | Taylor Swift | Invisible String
93 | Chris Stapleton | Starting Over
94 | 24kGoldn feat. Iann Dior | Mood
95 | Moses Sumney | Me in 20 Years
96 | Skullcrusher | Places/Plans
97 | Arlo Parks | Hurt
98 | Fleet Foxes | Sunblind
99 | Fiona Apple | Heavy Balloon
100 | Working Men's Club | Valleys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Re: EOY 2020 Songs List Updates

Post by Holden »

Glad to see People, I've been sad so high, and a great choice for Swift's top of the year, even if I think that Cardigan or Exile will overtake it eventually. Physical remains not the best Future Nostalgia song (or even top five on the album for me).

A pretty good list, even if I personally don't like WAP all that much!

Also, dang, 68 in the Rest of the World for WAP, and Savage Remix hasn't even been mentioned in a rest of the world list! What a gap!
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

Thank you so, so much for this! I'll dive into all the tracks I don't know yet to round up my own personal list!

Big props for Phoebe Bridgers being twice in the top 10. I'd think vote splitting would be much harsher to her than it is. I'm also very happy for Yves Tumor's placement in the top 10: hopefully, they keep racking votes going forward.

I'm a little surprised, I admit that while I listened to The 1975's singles quite a lot, it never occurred to me that If You're Too Shy could be the runaway choice for them. And here they are, getting good placement everywhere!

To answer to the comment above mine, I think Physical is Dua's finest track ever by far. The kind of track for which I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard it. Which also happened to be immediately before the second and third time I heard it. I always liked Dua Lipa, but that was the song that made me obsessed with her. I will admit however that Future Nostalgia, while not a perfect album, has a lot of outstanding songs.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

My ranking of the Future Nostalgia singles:

1. Break My Heart
2. Don’t Start Now
3. Hallucinate
4. Levitating
5. Physical

That being said, I really like all the songs. But I LOVE “Break My Heart”.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

Spotify Playlist - Thru Top 356
Last Updated: Jan. 19

Last edited by Setherex on Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

SpankyRevolution wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:03 am I'm a little surprised, I admit that while I listened to The 1975's singles quite a lot, it never occurred to me that If You're Too Shy could be the runaway choice for them. And here they are, getting good placement everywhere!
Honestly, Notes On A Conditional Form is a personal 10/10 album for me and definitely my favorite album this year. That being said out of all 22 tracks, with the exception of Self Titled Track, People, Frail State of Mind (which were released in 2019), I honestly think The Birthday Party, Jesus Christ 2005 God Bless America, and Nothing Revealed/Everything Denied shows even more artistic growth compared to If You're Too Shy and I honestly though critics would have praised those tracks more.
Edre the Depeche Head
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

The case of Cardi B is very unique. 3 main singles in 4 years very acclaimed, especially in the US. Even in times of the golden era of Kanye didn't happen that.
Last edited by panam on Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

It's getting worse and worse every year, I heard 2 songs in the top 50 :D (The Weeknd and Billie Eilish).

In fact, I've just realized that you don't see people at the top of the charts on television or on the big shows anymore. The American "stars" are no longer on TV at all (in France at least). I have the impression that the tops are less and less international.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Romain wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:20 pm It's getting worse and worse every year, I heard 2 songs in the top 50 :D (The Weeknd and Billie Eilish).

In fact, I've just realized that you don't see people at the top of the charts on television or on the big shows anymore. The American "stars" are no longer on TV at all (in France at least). I have the impression that the tops are less and less international.
Well, BTS was big in France too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... 0_(France)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

panam wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:43 pm
Romain wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:20 pm It's getting worse and worse every year, I heard 2 songs in the top 50 :D (The Weeknd and Billie Eilish).

Well, BTS was big in France too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... 0_(France)
MAybe, but I think there is definitely a total switch from "seen on TV" music to "seen on the internet" music in the lists.
All these people in the list that I haven't heard a single song or even heard anything about, it's pretty amazing.

Before, even the people we didn't like or whose music didn't interest us, well at least we knew the hits or the latest songs released. Now you can completely miss the biggest seller or the "megastar" without any problem.
Before, it was impossible not to know the songs of MAdonna, U2 or others ... have you ever heard a BTS note ? I don't even know what Cardi B, Phoebe Bridgers or Yves Tumor looks like.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I heard many songs over the years and have been following AM since 2009. "WAP" is the first potential EOY #1 I found to be unlistenable. It was so obnoxious and garbage in production, it took some willpower to finish.

I have been feeling out of touch with the critics and the forum since about 2015 or so. My Year-end picks now rarely mirror those of the forum. "WAP" is sort of the nadir of that. I cannot get behind this song. It just boggles my mind what the critics see in it.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

whuntva wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 am I heard many songs over the years and have been following AM since 2009. "WAP" is the first potential EOY #1 I found to be unlistenable. It was so obnoxious and garbage in production, it took some willpower to finish.

I have been feeling out of touch with the critics and the forum since about 2015 or so. My Year-end picks now rarely mirror those of the forum. "WAP" is sort of the nadir of that. I cannot get behind this song. It just boggles my mind what the critics see in it.
Since about the mid 2010s critics have been placing cultural relevancy/impact above any other factor when it comes to their EOY songs lists. You will never see a song like “Blind” (the 2008 SOTY on AM that had little cultural impact) be the consensus SOTY again.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Nick wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 am
whuntva wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 am I heard many songs over the years and have been following AM since 2009. "WAP" is the first potential EOY #1 I found to be unlistenable. It was so obnoxious and garbage in production, it took some willpower to finish.

Since about the mid 2010s critics have been placing cultural relevancy/impact above any other factor when it comes to their EOY songs lists. You will never see a song like “Blind” (the 2008 SOTY on AM that had little cultural impact) be the consensus SOTY again.
Such a shame, too. Blind is an amazing song that I would never have come across without this site!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

whuntva wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 am I have been feeling out of touch with the critics and the forum since about 2015 or so. My Year-end picks now rarely mirror those of the forum. "WAP" is sort of the nadir of that. I cannot get behind this song. It just boggles my mind what the critics see in it.
The exact same time for me, around 2015.
fabrizioalbertini
Superunknown

Post by fabrizioalbertini »

Surprised about Fleet Foxes' underperformance. Featherweight is one of their best songs. Also Stupid Love and Rain On Me (both mediocre imo) being here instead of 911 is criminal. Other artists that are too low or absent imo: Arca, Jessy Lanza, 100 gets, Rosalia, Charli XCX, Rico Nasty, Kali Uchis. I'm also quite shocked Beyonce's Black Parade didn't make the list.
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Romain wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:01 am
whuntva wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:29 am I have been feeling out of touch with the critics and the forum since about 2015 or so. My Year-end picks now rarely mirror those of the forum. "WAP" is sort of the nadir of that. I cannot get behind this song. It just boggles my mind what the critics see in it.
The exact same time for me, around 2015.
The aging indie/classic/alt-rock ranks still made up the bulk of music critics up until that point in time, still a lot of them around, but the hip hop/poptimist/EDM-loving millenials and post millienials, especially in the states, now rule the roost.

Was a decade plus annual Coachella attendee - same thing happened there around 1/2 point of decade. Went from never being able to come closing to catching all I wanted in a day, to spending half my day just getting drunk in beer garden cause there wasn't anything I had the slightest desire to see. Again, just a new generation with new tastes taking over the market and squeezing us old-timers out.
Emerald
Strange Fruit

Post by Emerald »

Yoasboi's "Racing into the Night" sounds like something that would top these best song lists. Became an instant favorite of mine this year. I guess being a foreign song hurt it.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Thanks for this update Sweepstakes Ron! I agree with many that this is a curious year for this songs list, and I'm interested to see how this evolves over the coming years, as I could see things changing substantially.

A few major impressions for me:
- It's so cool that Christine and the Queens finally had the critical breakout she deserves. I'm a bit surprised it was with this particular low-key song; I like People I've Been Sad quite a bit, but it doesn't touch La Vita Nuova for me among the songs she released this year
- I Know the End > Kyoto is very surprising. Until WAP started dominating the lists I thought Kyoto had a good shot to be in the top 1-2 overall places, as it has a very similar appear to last year's Seventeen
- How in the world is Dynamite #13? I don't see any possible justification for that besides "BTS is huge, and this is their biggest hit to date." I find that song extremely annoying from its rampant usage in commercials
- With poptimism dominating the list, it's a bit of a soft showing for Dua. I don't get Physical as her top pick at all. I assumed Don't Start Now would easily make the top 10, but it may be held back by having come out in 2019. Break My Heart was another huge hit and easy standout from the album, but it's not doing well so far
- I love seeing Spotlight, Wildfires, Never Come Back, and XS in the top 30, even if some of them only made a few lists
- Claws and Anthems being ranked above Forever for Charli XCX is bizarre...Forever was the lead single and clear standout from the album to me, and I thought its theme about being separated from the ones you love would resonate more in these times
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Very funny to scroll down and see Fleetwood Mac - Dreams [1977]
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

The Spotify Playlist above is updated through the Top 134. Something weird is going on with the embedded playlist there saying certain songs aren't accessible in my country - might just be a weird bug. On Spotify itself the playlist seems fine, but let me know if anyone's having big issues.

All looking good.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Setherex wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:57 pm The Spotify Playlist above is updated through the Top 134. Something weird is going on with the embedded playlist there saying certain songs aren't accessible in my country - might just be a weird bug. On Spotify itself the playlist seems fine, but let me know if anyone's having big issues.

All looking good.
Thanks for coming through once again, Setherex!

Also, I'm pretty sure that the inaccessible songs in the embed are the ones marked as having explicit language. It's incredibly stupid, I know.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, as easy as it is to lament that a song like "Blind" may never be #1 again, there's still plenty of great songs to discover as you comb through the list - I don't think I would have discovered Jayda G's "Both of Us" without this, and I think it instantly cracked my top 5 for the year.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:37 pm Also, as easy as it is to lament that a song like "Blind" may never be #1 again...
This assumption has been stated numerous times in this thread, but is it really accurate? After all, People I've Been Sad is a strong #2 and I don't think it is much more popular than Blind. While the last few years have had songs that were hits at #1, Seasons (Waiting on You) and Oblivion were SOTY within the last decade without any mainstream chart success. Seventeen, Cellophane, and Not were three of the top five last year. The shift toward poptimism is real, but by no means have critics turned a blind eye to the hits of the indie world.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I checked the songs on the playlists and i think people are overreacting with some nostalgia. Just because some songs are getting attention it's a bad generalization of the whole list.
Donchano
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Donchano »

No offense but I think some people are radiating 'boomer' energy. Music will keep their evolution and I'm not denying the fact that when I'm growing older, I may look down or even trashing the future music. :banana-dreads:
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Jackson wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:49 pm - How in the world is Dynamite #13? I don't see any possible justification for that besides "BTS is huge, and this is their biggest hit to date." I find that song extremely annoying from its rampant usage in commercials
Its almost as if... people enjoy the song. Your point is invalid, I thought it was one of the best pop songs this entire year.
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

I 100% disagree since that is all subjective.
Edre the Depeche Head
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:36 pm
I think he was talking about personal disconnect with the Critics Lists, not the content themselves, as is supported by the following conversation.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Holden wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:46 pm
I think he was talking about personal disconnect with the Critics Lists, not the content themselves, as is supported by the following conversation.
Yes, indeed I can't judge the quality of the songs because I've never heard them :-) That's what I meant. I don't know the songs, but worse, I don't know the artists who sing them either!
Unlike before where, even if I didn't like the songs, I at least knew they existed and had heard them a few times on TV or radio.

Of course, I will speak only for my country, but in fact, until the years 2010-2015, most of the great artists who
made the news or the great songs of the year were on TV so that the vast majority of people knew them... there was a kind of "global culture" of major artists, whether you liked them or not.
Now, if you're not interested in them, you can quietly miss the major artists and have no knowledge of their existence.
And from what I see, and I don't know if it's the case in every country, but there's a huge focus on local artists. In France, very clearly, from what I hear from young people, it's French artists who dominate and who they talk about all the time. Here, halas (and unfortunately in relation to my tastes) I know the artists because they are the only ones we see!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Romain wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:45 pm
Holden wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Yes, indeed I can't judge the quality of the songs because I've never heard them :-) That's what I meant. I don't know the songs, but worse, I don't know the artists who sing them either!
Unlike before where, even if I didn't like the songs, I at least knew they existed and had heard them a few times on TV or radio.

Of course, I will speak only for my country, but in fact, until the years 2010-2015, most of the great artists who
made the news or the great songs of the year were on TV so that the vast majority of people knew them... there was a kind of "global culture" of major artists, whether you liked them or not.
Now, if you're not interested in them, you can quietly miss the major artists and have no knowledge of their existence.
And from what I see, and I don't know if it's the case in every country, but there's a huge focus on local artists. In France, very clearly, from what I hear from young people, it's French artists who dominate and who they talk about all the time. Here, halas (and unfortunately in relation to my tastes) I know the artists because they are the only ones we see!
It's funny to me that you only know The Weeknd and Billie Eilish when the current #2 song is by a French artist!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:12 pm
It's funny to me that you only know The Weeknd and Billie Eilish when the current #2 song is by a French artist!
Precisely christine and the queens had a big success in 2014 with the album Chaleur Humaine, which passed without cese on all the channels and especially the music channels.
BUT I've never heard her new song and I've never seen her invited anywhere to talk about it and nobody cares about it!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I also think the big thing here is you're putting too much weight on television. I have not actually watched television in nearly a decade and I don't think any of my friends have, either. We watch television shows, yes, but pretty much exclusively through streaming - so none of us would ever see the type of shows with musical guests. Though I'm not sure how it is in France, I feel this is probably true of most people under 30, who I think also tend to be the target of popular music.

So I don't think it's that music has gotten less international as much as television has become less relevant as a method of dispersing new music. They can reach their audience directly through Youtube and Spotify now. Like, BTS is absolutely the definition of an international act.

And, like, you're on a forum where someone does biweekly updates of the most lauded albums of the current year. Popular music might not be falling into your lap, but you have the resources right at hand if you cared to keep up - you say it's gotten worse every year, but that's also a sign you're not even bothering to check out anything from these lists since most of these artists have had songs in previous years.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 pm I also think the big thing here is you're putting too much weight on television. I have not actually watched television in nearly a decade and I don't think any of my friends have, either. We watch television shows, yes, but pretty much exclusively through streaming - so none of us would ever see the type of shows with musical guests. Though I'm not sure how it is in France, I feel this is probably true of most people under 30, who I think also tend to be the target of popular music.

So I don't think it's that music has gotten less international as much as television has become less relevant as a method of dispersing new music. They can reach their audience directly through Youtube and Spotify now. Like, BTS is absolutely the definition of an international act.
Uh, I don't think the primary reason for Christine and the Queen not publicizing live, televised music this year is due to the young population's disassociation with television. I'm pretty sure there's another big factor for that.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Setherex wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:52 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:48 pm I also think the big thing here is you're putting too much weight on television. I have not actually watched television in nearly a decade and I don't think any of my friends have, either. We watch television shows, yes, but pretty much exclusively through streaming - so none of us would ever see the type of shows with musical guests. Though I'm not sure how it is in France, I feel this is probably true of most people under 30, who I think also tend to be the target of popular music.

Uh, I don't think the primary reason for Christine and the Queen not publicizing live, televised music this year is due to the young population's disassociation with television. I'm pretty sure there's another big factor for that.
I thought bands were still doing recorded performances or something for shows - I'm completely out of the loop on this specific part of television. Either way, Romain has had this opinion for a few years, so I think my point still stands for the past several years pre-COVID.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:08 pm
Setherex wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:52 pm

I thought bands were still doing recorded performances or something for shows - I'm completely out of the loop on this specific part of television. Either way, Romain has had this opinion for a few years, so I think my point still stands for the past several years pre-COVID.
There have been some pretty cool recorded performances this year (Phoebe Bridgers and Jeff Rosenstock for Seth Meyers, Car Seat Headrest for Fallon...) but that amounted to much less performances than in the normal year. Don't know the ratio but I'd guess at least 1 for 3.

Regarding France, we don't have the culture of live performances on TV as much, or at least it seems to always be the same singers you see on the main TV channels (the same old variété singers, most of them despite having had no hits for over 20 years, and every year you had a couple new names to the list based on who got the popular "chanson française" hits that year).
The only exceptions were 1 daily big show on Canal Plus from the lates 80s to some point in the mid 00s, "Nulle Part Ailleurs", where every good or big bands and artists used to play, you can find a buttload of fantastic performances still on youtube, from an outstanding Jeff Buckley to Slipknot shocking the French audience to a dazzling PJ Harvey or stoic Grandaddy, and an other one is "Taratata", usally a bit more around French band and artists but still with some international bands, but it's been only a monthly show for years now.
You still have sometimes bands live at "Le Quotidien" but it has nothing in common with the heydays of Nulle Part Ailleurs and I'd guess that's pretty much all.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:34 pm Its almost as if... people enjoy the song. Your point is invalid, I thought it was one of the best pop songs this entire year.
That's not what Jackson's saying, critics should be above awarding scores purely because of or in spite of popularity. You personally don't use this kind of circular reasoning in your review videos and I hope you never do!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

mileswide wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:38 pm
Edre Peraza wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:34 pm Its almost as if... people enjoy the song. Your point is invalid, I thought it was one of the best pop songs this entire year.
That's not what Jackson's saying, critics should be above awarding scores purely because of or in spite of popularity. You personally don't use this kind of circular reasoning in your review videos and I hope you never do!
It's impossible to tell whether critics are promoting BTS because of the band's status as one of the biggest acts in the world with a massive online fan base or because they actually think Dynamite is one of the best songs of the year. I think it's more likely the former, but I don't have any real evidence and Edre is fine to say that critics may just like the song. Personally, I don't like the song and it seems weird that critics that have long ignored this sort of teen-oriented pop music are now embracing it over what I feel is much better pop music made this year. Others are fine to disagree - that's what this forum is for!
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Jackson wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm Others are fine to disagree - that's what this forum is for!
Amen to that :obscene-drinkingcheers:
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I noticed in the xls file the song Minyo Crusaders + Frente Cumbiero /// "Cumbia del Monte Fuji" appears as "Cumbria del Monte Fuji" by mistake.
FilipM
I'm New Here

Post by FilipM »

These songs need the [2019] tag:

Tame Impala - Posthumous Forgiveness
Caribou - You and I
Destroyer - Crimson Tide
Kaytranada - 10%
Moses Sumney - Virile
Last edited by FilipM on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

BAMBARA - Serafina is also from 2019.
Penguin022
I'm New Here

Post by Penguin022 »

As is Say So by Doja Cat (although it was sent to radio stations this year).

I'm surprised that Scottie Beam is the song from the Freddie Gibbs album getting the most attention, I thought the song with the Tyler, the Creator feature would be the most acclaimed.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I hate to be that person, but do you know when you're planning to post the next update?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 pm I hate to be that person, but do you know when you're planning to post the next update?
I'm shooting for Christmas!
Mason
Wannabe

Post by Mason »

Part of me is (pointlessly) hoping that the oddities of the lists are just the byproduct of the weirdness 2020, and not a general trend towards critics favoring relevance over quality like many of you have been saying.

What's interesting to me is that the songs I would rather see at the top of the list for 2020 are not actually from 2020. "Don't Start Now", "Blinding Lights", and "Say So" are what comes to mind. I don't really put my full attention into current stuff to begin with, but this year felt even more barren in terms of music than usual. There was never a song that stuck out as the song of 2020 for me.

Does anyone else feel this way? I feel like I'm just rambling, lol.
poorpete
Strange Fruit

Post by poorpete »

I think poptimism plays a big part in why this list is what it is. For what it's worth, I'm a poptimist only in that I find value in pop-music, I just don't like when it starts mimicking the worst in rockism -- the thought that your favorite genre is clearly better than all the rest.

Another big part not mentioned here yet, and a welcome addition, is the amplification of female voices, critic-voices and artist-voices.

As for "WAP," I'm glad there's people out there who love it, but I'm a bit prudish, so I tend to skip the track. It is like a funnier and better-rapped "Baby Got Back" for this generation, and as panam said, everything's looking up for Cardi B, and on that note, going to listen to Invasion of Privacy, each song I prefer over this one.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

poorpete wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm I think poptimism plays a big part in why this list is what it is. For what it's worth, I'm a poptimist only in that I find value in pop-music, I just don't like when it starts mimicking the worst in rockism -- the thought that your favorite genre is clearly better than all the rest.

Another big part not mentioned here yet, and a welcome addition, is the amplification of female voices, critic-voices and artist-voices.

As for "WAP," I'm glad there's people out there who love it, but I'm a bit prudish, so I tend to skip the track. It is like a funnier and better-rapped "Baby Got Back" for this generation, and as panam said, everything's looking up for Cardi B, and on that note, going to listen to Invasion of Privacy, each song I prefer over this one.
Yeah I see what you are saying and honestly I think the list so far this year has a good balance. I don't hate WAP being at number one, even if it doesn't make my Top 75.
Edre the Depeche Head
FilipM
I'm New Here

Post by FilipM »

FilipM wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:26 pm These songs need the [2019] tag:

Tame Impala - Posthumous Forgiveness
Caribou - You and I
Destroyer - Crimson Tide
Kaytranada - 10%
Moses Sumney - Virile
Some more...
Grimes - So Heavy I Fell Through The Earth
Jehnny Beth - I'm the Man
Rina Sawayama - STFU!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:24 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:09 pm I hate to be that person, but do you know when you're planning to post the next update?
I'm shooting for Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Merry Christmas!

USA: Spectrum Culture, Spin, Complex, Fader, Atwood Magazine
UK: Dazed
Australia: The Music
Brazil: Revista O Grito!
Colombia: Radiónica
France: Mowno
Germany: Zündfunk
Italy: Kalporz
Mexico: Reactor 105.7
Norway: Dagsavisen
Spain: Rockdelux (Intl)
Sweden: HYMN

1 (1) | Cardi B feat. Megan Thee Stallion | WAP
2 (3) | Megan Thee Stallion feat. Beyoncé | Savage Remix
3 (2) | Christine and the Queens | People, I've Been Sad
4 (4) | The Weeknd | Blinding Lights [2019]
5 (5) | Phoebe Bridgers | I Know the End
6 (10) | Bob Dylan | Murder Most Foul
7 (7) | Phoebe Bridgers | Kyoto
8 (8) | Yves Tumor | Gospel for a New Century
9 (11) | Perfume Genius | On the Floor
10 (6) | Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande | Rain on Me
11 (9) | Grimes | Delete Forever
12 (20) | Dua Lipa | Physical
13 (17) | Fiona Apple | I Want You to Love Me
14 (29) | Sault | Wildfires
15 (35) | Haim | The Steps
16 (16) | Fiona Apple | Shameika
17 (12) | Bad Bunny feat. Jowell & Randy and Ñengo Flow | Safaera
18 (42) | Fontaines D.C. | A Hero's Death
19 (36) | Thundercat | Dragonball Durag
20 (21) | Rina Sawayama | XS
21 (14) | The 1975 | If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know)
22 (18) | Romy | Lifetime
23 (26) | Caribou | Never Come Back
24 (28) | Waxahatchee | Fire
25 (13) | BTS | Dynamite
26 (23) | Jayda G | Both of Us
27 (80) | Run the Jewels feat. Greg Nice and DJ Premier | Ooh La La
28 (15) | Miley Cyrus | Midnight Sky
29 (58) | Bad Bunny | Yo Perreo Sola
30 (31) | Adrianne Lenker | Anything
31 (61) | Taylor Swift feat. Bon Iver | Exile
32 (33) | Soccer Mommy | circle the drain
33 (30) | Run the Jewels feat. Pharrell Williams and Zack de la Rocha | Ju$t
34 (39) | Chloe x Halle | Do It
35 (46) | RMR | Rascal
36 (22) | The Chicks | Gaslighter
37 (27) | Jessie Ware | Spotlight
38 (57) | U.S. Girls | 4 American Dollars
39 (19) | Perfume Genius | Describe
40 (37) | Charli XCX | Claws
41 (24) | Dua Lipa | Don't Start Now [2019]
42 (38) | Mac Miller | Good News
43 (99) | Fiona Apple | Heavy Balloon
44 () | Lido Pimienta feat. Li Saumet | Nada
45 (66) | Run the Jewels | Walking in the Snow
46 (41) | Porridge Radio | Sweet
47 (25) | Taylor Swift | The Last Great American Dynasty
48 (34) | Roddy Ricch | The Box [2019]
49 (74) | Jessie Ware | What's Your Pleasure?
50 (44) | Doja Cat | Say So [2019] / Say So (Remix feat. Nicki Minaj)
51 (43) | Róisín Murphy | Murphy's Law
52 (49) | Waxahatchee | Lilacs
53 (82) | Lil Baby | The Bigger Picture
54 (45) | SZA feat. Ty Dolla $ign | Hit Different
55 (60) | Sufjan Stevens | Video Game
56 (63) | Taylor Swift | Cardigan
57 (65) | The Strokes | The Adults Are Talking
58 (32) | Beabadoobee | Care
59 (40) | Billie Eilish | Therefore I Am
60 () | Pa Salieu feat. BackRoad Gee | My Family
61 (52) | India Jordan | For You
62 (50) | DaBaby feat. Roddy Ricch | Rockstar
63 (55) | 070 Shake | Guilty Conscience
64 () | Sufjan Stevens | America
65 (97) | Arlo Parks | Hurt
66 (56) | Arlo Parks | Black Dog
67 (96) | Skullcrusher | Places/Plans
68 (84) | Deftones | Genesis
69 (90) | Anderson .Paak | Lockdown / Lockdown (Remix feat. J.I.D., Noname, and Jay Rock)
70 (76) | Fiona Apple | Under the Table
71 () | clipping. | Say the Name
72 (75) | Charli XCX | Anthems
73 (59) | Fontaines D.C. | Televised Mind
74 (88) | Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist feat. Rick Ross | Scottie Beam
75 (54) | Shamir | On My Own
76 (95) | Moses Sumney | Me in 20 Years
77 () | John Prine | I Remember Everything
78 (47) | Blackpink | How You Like That
79 (78) | Charli XCX | Forever
80 () | Tame Impala | Breathe Deeper
81 (62) | Hayley Williams | Simmer
82 (86) | Phoebe Bridgers | Garden Song
83 (48) | Dua Lipa | Hallucinate
84 (71) | Thundercat feat. feat. Steve Lacy, Steve Arrington, and Childish Gambino | Black Qualls
85 (81) | Bob Dylan | Key West (Philosopher Pirate)
86 (69) | Fontaines D.C. | I Don't Belong
87 (64) | Noname | Song 33
88 (51) | Lady Gaga | Stupid Love
89 (79) | Drake feat. Lil Durk | Laugh Now Cry Later
90 () | Future Islands | For Sure
91 () | IDLES | Mr. Motivator
92 () | Bullion | We Had a Good Time
93 () | Moses Sumney | Cut Me
94 (67) | IDLES | Grounds
95 (53) | Harry Styles | Adore You [2019]
96 () | IDLES | Model Village
97 (89) | Dua Lipa | Levitating
98 () | Dogleg | Kawasaki Backflip
99 () | Coriky | Clean Kill
100 (98) | Fleet Foxes | Sunblind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Sweepstakes Ron on Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “EOY 2020”