Full of Fire

Re: Best Music Videos Poll -- (Redoing) Results

Post by Live in Phoenix »

20. The Verve | Bitter Sweet Symphony
(33.594 points | 7 votes)
Director: Walter A. Stern
Release: 1997
Biggest Fan: mileswide (#8)

Walter A. Stern videos (main rollout and nominations)
Massive Attack - Risingson
The Prodigy - Firestarter
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

19. Fatboy Slim | Right Here, Right Now
(33.743 points | 3 votes)
Director: Garth Jennings
Release: 1999
Biggest Fan: Wezzo (#3), panam (#7)

Garth Jennings (main rollout points rank #11)
Garth Jennings videos (main rollout and nominations)
Beck - Lost Cause (Version 1)
Fatboy Slim - Right Here, Right Now
R.E.M. - Imitation of Life
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

18. M.I.A. | Bad Girls
(35.932 points | 5 votes)
Director: Romain Gavras
Release: 2012
Biggest Fan: Dan (#2)

Romain Gavras videos (main rollout and nominations)
M.I.A. - Bad Girls
M.I.A. - Born Free
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

17. Michael Jackson | Beat It
(36.659 points | 3 votes)
Director: Bob Giraldi
Release: 1983
Biggest Fan: panam (#1)

Bob Giraldi videos (main rollout and nominations)
Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield
Michael Jackson - Beat It
Pia Zadora & Jermaine Jackson - When the Rain Begins to Fall (co-director)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

16. Childish Gambino | This Is America
(36.903 points | 6 votes)
Director: Hiro Murai
Release: 2018
Biggest Fan: prosecutorgodot (#6), Live in Phoenix (#7)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

https://vimeo.com/43444347
(No YouTube link)

15. Björk | All Is Full of Love
(37.256 points | 4 votes)
Director: Chris Cunningham
Biggest Fan: whuntva (#4), ordinaryperson (#7)
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

14. Eminem feat. Dido | Stan
(40.341 points | 3 votes)
Director: Philip G. Atwell, Dr. Dre
Release: 2000
Biggest Fan: Wezzo (#2), jamieW (#9)

Philip G. Atwell, Dr. Dre videos (main rollout and nominations)
Eminem - My Name Is
Eminem - The Real Slim Shady
Eminem feat. Dido - Stan
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

13. Michael Jackson | Billie Jean
(40.558 points | 4 votes)
Director: Steve Barron
Biggest Fan: bonnielaurel (#1)
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

Michael Jackson: I saw kids watching and accepting boring videos because they had no alternatives. My goal is to do the best I can in every area, so why work hard on an album and then produce a terrible video? I wanted something that would glue you to the set, something you'd want to watch over and over ... [Barron] had very imaginative ideas, although he didn't agree at first that there should be dancing in it ... That freeze-frame where I go on my toes was spontaneous; so were many of the other moves.

Director Steve Barron: I met [Michael] in his manager's office, really after he had seen the Human League on MTV -- the "Don't You Want Me" video that I had made ... That kind of magic of filmmaking [like Billie Jean's trick lamppost] he was really fascinated with; and us painting the set as well in front of the camera, so we had three feet in front of the camera, we had the whole second story of the set of the street, which was another filmmaking technique – that he was really excited about.

There was a real sort of charm around him, and absolute stunning brilliance came out when he performed ... I never found anybody [else] that extraordinary.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

12. Talking Heads | Once in a Lifetime
(40.857 points | 5 votes)
Director: Toni Basil, David Byrne
Release: 1981
Biggest Fan: Krurze (#1)

Toni Basil, David Byrne (main rollout points rank #15)
Toni Basil, David Byrne videos (main rollout only): Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

11. David Bowie | Lazarus
(48.148 points | 6 votes)
Director: Johan Renck
Release: 2016
Biggest Fan: whuntva (#2)
David Bowie - Lazarus

"I wanted a hero of mine to write the music for The Last Panthers,” explains [Johan] Renck when asked how he and the singer started working together ... the two quickly found “weird common creative ground.”

He insists the common interpretation of the video – that the singer was hinting that he was on his deathbed – is wrong, because he came up with the concept a week before Bowie received his final diagnosis. “I immediately said ‘the song is called Lazarus, you should be in the bed’,” says Renck. “To me it had to do with the biblical aspect of it ... it had nothing to do with him being ill."

"He is very much an explorer of ideas and a collaborative person by nature" ... "Somebody on set said, 'You should end the video by disappearing into the closet.' "I saw David sort of think about that for a second. Then a big smile came up on his face. And he said something like, ‘Yeah, that will keep them all guessing, won’t it?’"
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

10. R.E.M. | Imitation of Life
(50.831 points | 5 votes)
Director: Garth Jennings
Release: 2001
Biggest Fan: Wezzo (#1), Live in Phoenix (#8)
R.E.M. - Imitation of Life

The colorful four-minute clip — which finds Michael Stipe (that’s him in the corner) and the band at a crowded poolside bash — cleverly manipulates a mere 20 seconds of footage. The action-packed scene (a barbecue chef catches fire, a woman has a drink thrown in her face, Stipe dances) was selectively sped up and rewound as editors zoomed in on tiny portions of the frame. Director Garth Jennings rehearsed for a day and a half with the cast — several had to lip-synch backward so their singing would seem normal when reversed. How does Jennings describe his process? "I call it the ‘What the hell were we thinking?’ technique." (Entertainment Weekly)

Director Garth Jennings: It was an insane thing to do because it was so complicated. I love and worship R.E.M. They always made fabulous videos and so when they asked us to come with an idea for that song, you can’t say no. When it was finished, it was one of the most rewarding final results that I’ve had for a music video.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

9. Johnny Cash | Hurt
(51.378 points | 9 votes)
Director: Mark Romanek
Release: 2003
Biggest Fan: mileswide (#3), whuntva (#7), Zombeels (#9)
Johnny Cash - Hurt

Director Mark Romanek: "So we cut together the video using the performances of Johnny, and the stuff in the House of Cash [museum] -- and it was good, it was pretty good, and we said well maybe we should look at this archival stuff ... and we pulled out something and loaded it up into the computer and I think it happened to be that image of Johnny riding the train ... dropped it into the cut, and we got--chills went up our spine."

"As excited as I was to meet him, he was not in great shape. As a filmmaker, I was presented with this challenge: Do I prettify the situation, or do I take a cue from Johnny's legacy and just be honest? The latter was the only choice. So the piece started to become about a man in the twilight of a great life, and that's not the kind of thing most music videos have to deal with."

Trent Reznor: What I wasn't prepared for was what I saw. And it really then wasn't my song anymore.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

8. Björk | Bachelorette
(58.333 points | 3 votes)
Director: Michel Gondry
Release: 1997
Biggest Fan: Romain (#1), Dan (#3)
Björk - Bachelorette

Director Michel Gondry: What I find out more and more is that my videos, they’re very visual but there’s always a narrative. Even if the narration is not necessarily like a story, there’s always a shape. For example, in this video I did for Björk called ‘Bachelorette’, it’s a spiral. It’s a reality, then there’s a reproduction of the reality, then a reproduction of the reproduction, etc.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

7. Nine Inch Nails | Closer
(61.725 points | 4 votes)
Director: Mark Romanek
Release: 1994
Biggest Fan: Live in Phoenix (#2), ordinaryperson (#3), panam (#5)
Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Trent Reznor: Mark [Romanek]'s name came up, and I remember at the time I was very impressed with the Madonna "Rain" video. Not appropriate for me, necessarily, but if someone could do that with that track, what could they do in my track?

Director Mark Romanek: We made it with an old camera from 1919, and the whole thing was hand-cranked. We made prints, and I personally spent a couple of days dragging them around the parking lot and spraying aerosol shellac and holding lighters under them. We were just making it for art's sake, and YouTube didn't exist then, so it was a pretty ballsy and extravagant thing for Trent to do.

Trent Reznor: [The video] took it from one place in my head to a place setting that didn't literally define anything, but set a tone that made the song sound better to me, and I think that's an achievement. It's one that I've yet to recreate again.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

6. Aphex Twin | Windowlicker
(62.179 points | 3 votes)
Director: Chris Cunningham
Biggest Fan: Madzong (#1), panam (#2)
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker

Director Chris Cunningham: I love hip-hop videos. It was not meant as disrespect. I used to watch those videos and think, "Are these guys kidding? They've got to be kidding!" But they're not and that in itself is what makes them good.

"Come to Daddy" was played quite a lot late at night in England on MTV ... I saw the "Come to Daddy" video amongst all these hip-hop videos and I thought, "That's ridiculous." It looks so out of place and it looks so wrong. So I wanted to make an Aphex video that fit amongst the hip-hop videos. That's not the primary reason but it had a big bearing on it. When Richard did this track that sounded summery and sunny, I thought, "Fuck. We should do it in L.A. in that style." I still don't think it looks like a hip-hop video-- I tried but I fucked it up. I knew if I used wide-angle lenses it would look like Hype Williams right away. It's kind of a cheap hip-hop video [laughs] ... It was fun though because it was just done in the spirit of trying to have a crack, I'm too much of a hip-hop fan to want to take the piss out of hip-hop.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

5. Radiohead | Just
(81.081 points | 7 votes)
Director: Jamie Thraves
Release: 1995
Biggest Fan: Edre Peraza (#1), Madzong (#2), prosecutorgodot (#8)
Radiohead - Just

Guitarist Ed O'Brien: It's brilliant. It's funny when you look back and we realized the ones we really, really loved, and "Just" was one of them.

Director Jamie Thraves: "When that bit happened at the end of the song and the music goes all kind of mental, I just got this chill down my spine. And that's what I wanted to try and get across on film."

"The look was largely inspired by Hitchcock movies and Bertolucci’s movie The Conformist ... I had no idea the video was going to cause so many people to ask what the man said ... Sometimes I’m very tempted to go online under a pseudonym on YouTube and plant the exact truth amongst all the conjecture. Perhaps I’ve done that already ... I do actually want to reveal the answer, you see, that’s why it’s been a strange burden and yet also wonderful to be the only person who knows. It’s like I stumbled upon the answer to the universe, perhaps I did. Please don’t make me tell you. You don’t want to know."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

4. Madonna | Like a Prayer
(85.319 points | 7 votes)
Director: Mary Lambert
Release: 1989
Biggest Fan: Elder (#1), mileswide (#2), jamieW (#7), Live in Phoenix (#9)
Madonna - Like a Prayer

Madonna: She goes in [the church] and sees a saint in a cage who looks very much like the black man on the street, and says a prayer to help her make the right decision ... She lies down on a pew and falls into a dream in which she begins to tumble in space with no one to break her fall. Suddenly she is caught by a woman who represents earth and emotional strength and who tosses her back up and tells her to do the right thing. Still dreaming, she returns to the saint, and her religious and erotic feelings begin to stir. The saint becomes a man. She picks up a knife and cuts her hands. That's the guilt in Catholicism that if you do something that feels good you will be punished.

As the choir sings, she reaches an orgasmic crescendo of sexual fulfillment intertwined with her love of God. She knows that nothing's going to happen to her if she does what she believes is right. She wakes up, goes to the jail, tells the police the man is innocent, and he is freed. Then everybody takes a bow as if to say we all play a part in this little scenario.

Director Mary Lambert: Why couldn’t Jesus be black? Why can’t sexual ecstasy be equated with religious ecstasy? Is it wrong to enjoy sex? Is it wrong to enjoy prayer, for that matter? Why does it have to be a dull or confining thing?
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I can imagine that this must have been tiresome to put together. Information about music videos can be so elusive, yet there is so much detail here. Clearly, a lot of digging has gone into this.

I’m delighted to see “Bad Girls”, “Bachelorette”, “Tous les Mêmes”, “Do the Evolution”, “Les Amants”, “Rhythm Nation” and “Take Me to Church” doing well. There are a few videos I don’t know, and I’m looking forward to new discoveries.

You’ll probably need to lie down when this is all over, Live in Phoenix, but I hope you know that this is really impressive.
...will keep us together.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Thank you, Dan. I'm not sure which is the toughest thing I've worked on here, but it's up there with the My Happiness first recordings threads I created, and my top 1000 song list. (I get a cold sweat just thinking about the next round of that.)

Well, it's sort of like Friday Night Videos in here, with the vintage of videos that remain! (It was primarily an '80s/early '90s network program for those who didn't have cable, that would show 60-90 minutes' worth of videos one night a week.)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

3. A-ha | Take On Me
(87.485 points | 11 votes)
Director: Steve Barron
Release: 1985
Biggest Fan: panam (#3), whuntva (#3), Dan (#8)
A-ha - Take On Me

Animators Michael Patterson and Candace Reckinger:
(Patterson) [O]riginally they thought that we were gonna just animate everything in London (in unison) "in a couple weeks" ... I think it ended up taking 16 weeks ... (Reckinger) It's just like a classic Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella kind of story. It just works.

Magne Furuholmen, keyboardist: It's like more than 10,000 drawings for the animated parts ... I think the video, what it did, apart from it being great on its own and being so iconic as a piece, it gave the song enough rotation to really put hooks in people.

Warner Bros executive Jeff Ayeroff: It had been released twice in England [including an earlier recorded version and earlier video version] and wasn't a hit ... [W]hen I looked at [their old videos] I thought, this is too clean-cut. It was too pat, it wasn't unique enough ... The best videos of all time, [the animated "Take on Me"] shows up in the top five of every list, every era.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

2. Michael Jackson | Thriller
(87.974 points | 9 votes)
Director: John Landis
Biggest Fan: jamieW (#2), Live in Phoenix (#3), prosecutorgodot (#3), bonnielaurel (#10)

John Landis (main rollout points rank #10)
John Landis videos (main rollout only): Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Thriller

Michael Jackson: Well, we're trying to bring back the motion picture shorts. And I wanted Thriller and Beat It to be a stimulant for people to make better videos or short films. I saw [Jon Landis'] American Werewolf in London. We really, really liked it, because it was a different type of horror movie, it was comedy *and* horror, that's the way I see it. (The Making of 'Thriller')

John Landis: The problem was Michael’s record company had no interest in another video from the Thriller album … Michael put me on the phone to the president of CBS Records, Walter Yetnikoff [who had fought MTV to get "Billie Jean" aired], and I had never heard such profanity at such volume ... [N]o television network wanted [the hour-long video-and-making-of special]. To them, Thriller was last year’s news ... But Showtime, then a new pay cable channel, agreed to pay half the budget, and MTV suddenly changed its mind, justifying the expenditure as a 'motion picture', not a video. [Note: Thriller became the best-selling album of 1983 *and* 1984.]
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

1. Peter Gabriel | Sledgehammer
(92.332 points | 6 votes)
Director: Stephen R. Johnson
Release: 1986
Biggest Fan: Live in Phoenix (#1), whuntva (#1), jamieW (#3)

Stephen R. Johnson (main rollout points rank #9)
Stephen R. Johnson videos (main rollout and nominations)
Peter Gabriel - Big Time
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer
Peter Gabriel – Steam
Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere (co-director)
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Peter Gabriel: "I had a place at film school at one point before I thought I could make my living making noises" ... "Stephen and I had a couple of weeks just bashing through ideas, and then we brought in the others. And it was a really exciting, creative brainstorming. And I mean, that's always been one of the things I most enjoy about what I do, is working with people from different backgrounds, often smarter than I am, and just cooking something up."

"I think it took us about 100 hours, over 7 days" ... "I was lying under glass for some of it, and the most painful bit was actually having the sky painted frame by frame on my face… The clouds would be moved across, and my skin got very sore ... The fruit was ok, you know, on the second day; but, the fish after two days under the lights was getting very unpleasant indeed (laughs)."

"I think it had a sense of both humor and fun, neither of which were particularly associated with me. I mean – wrongly in my way of looking at it – I think I was seen as a fairly intense, eccentric Englishman."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Video of the year breakdown. Video of the decade in bold.

1957. Elvis Presley | Jailhouse Rock (Director Richard Thorpe)

1967. Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues (Director D.A. Pennebaker)

1970. ---
1971. ---
1972. ---
1973. David Bowie | Life on Mars? (Director Mick Rock)
1974. ---
1975. Queen | Bohemian Rhapsody (Director Bruce Gowers)
1976. ABBA | Dancing Queen (Director Lasse Hallström)
1977. Pink Floyd | Welcome to the Machine (Director Gerald Scarfe)
1978. Kate Bush | Wuthering Heights (Version 1, UK/Europe) (Director Keef)
1979. Pink Floyd | Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) (Director Gerald Scarfe)

1980. David Bowie | Ashes to Ashes (Director David Mallet)
1981. Talking Heads | Once in a Lifetime (Directors Toni Basil, David Byrne)
1982. ---
1983. Michael Jackson | Thriller (Director John Landis)
1984. "Weird Al" Yankovic | Eat It (Director Jay Levey)
1985. A-ha | Take On Me (Director Steve Barron)
1986. Peter Gabriel | Sledgehammer (Director Stephen R. Johnson)
1987. The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl | Fairytale of New York (Director Peter Dougherty)
1988. Michael Jackson | Smooth Criminal (Director Colin Chilvers)
1989. Madonna | Like a Prayer (Director Mary Lambert)

1990. Sinéad O'Connor | Nothing Compares 2 U (Director John Maybury)
1991. Nirvana | Smells Like Teen Spirit (Director Samuel Bayer)
1992. Pearl Jam | Jeremy (Director Mark Pellington)
1993. Björk | Human Behaviour (Director Michel Gondry)
1994. Nine Inch Nails | Closer (Director Mark Romanek)
1995. Radiohead | Just (Director Jamie Thraves)
1996. Radiohead | Street Spirit (Fade Out) (Director Jonathan Glazer)
1997. Björk | Bachelorette (Director Michel Gondry)
1998. UNKLE feat. Thom Yorke | Rabbit in Your Headlights (Director Jonathan Glazer)
1999. Aphex Twin | Windowlicker (Director Chris Cunningham)

2000. Eminem feat. Dido | Stan (Directors Philip G. Atwell, Dr. Dre)
2001. R.E.M. | Imitation of Life (Director Garth Jennings)
2002. Coldplay | The Scientist (Director Jamie Thraves)
2003. Johnny Cash | Hurt (Director Mark Romanek)
2004. Franz Ferdinand | Take Me Out (Director Jonas Odell)
2005. Gorillaz | Feel Good Inc. (Directors Pete Candeland, Jamie Hewlett)
2006: Nickelback | Savin' Me (Director Nigel Dick)
2007. Keane | Atlantic (Director Irvine Welsh)
2008. Duffy | Mercy (Director Daniel Wolfe)
2009. Depeche Mode | Wrong (Director Patrick Daughters)

2010. Kanye West feat. Pusha T | Runaway (Director Kanye West)
2011. OK Go | This Too Shall Pass (Version 2, Rube Goldberg Machine) (Directors James Frost, OK Go, Syyn Labs)
2012. M.I.A. | Bad Girls (Director Romain Gavras)
2013. Stromae | Tous les Mêmes (Director Henry Scholfield)
2014. Sia | Chandelier (Directors Daniel Askill, Sia)
2015. David Bowie | Blackstar (Director Johan Renck)
2016. David Bowie | Lazarus (Director Johan Renck)
2017. Dua Lipa | New Rules (Director Henry Scholfield)
2018. Childish Gambino | This Is America (Director Hiro Murai)
2019. Billie Eilish | bury a friend (Director Michael Chaves)

2020. ---

I’m not planning to go back and formally comb over everyone’s nominations, but here are some of my observations. For the '60s and earlier, I'm pretty sure the oldest nomination was for Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow." A handful of 1960s videos were nominated, like for the Animals, the Beatles, and the Moody Blues. "Promo films"/videos were not uncommon in the latter half of the ‘60s.

For the early ‘70s, I noticed that David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” (1972) was nominated, plus the Carpenters' "Superstar" probably dates from then. Country Joe and the Fish's "The 'Fish' Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag" was nominated, from the Woodstock film.

No 1982 is a surprise. I noticed that ABBA's "The Day Before You Came,” Duran Duran’s “Hungry like the Wolf" and "Rio," Peter Gabriel’s “Shock the Monkey,” the Pretenders' "Back on the Chain Gang," and Prince's "1999" were nominated for that year. From MTV's and Rolling Stone's old all-time lists, other 1982 videos mentioned were Adam Ant’s “Goody Two Shoes,” Golden Earring’s “Twilight Zone,” Billy Idol’s “White Wedding,” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Atlantic City.”

Johnny Cash's "Hurt" is the highest-ranking video here for this century.

No 2020 is not a huge surprise; I guess we haven't digested that year. For nominations, I obviously noticed "The Microphones – Microphones in 2020."
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks, LiPh. It's my impression that MTV was at its peak from 1983 to 1993. After that not many of my favorites have made it. At least Dua Lipa did well. Sledgehammer was my #88.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Live in Phoenix! An absolutely outstanding presentation and it's obvious how much work you put into it. You definitely did the music video medium (one of my favorites) proud. :music-rockon:
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

jamieW wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:01 am Thanks, Live in Phoenix! An absolutely outstanding presentation and it's obvious how much work you put into it. You definitely did the music video medium (one of my favorites) proud. :music-rockon:
Well and thank you too, jamieW, for the tabulations! Not saying I'd ever do this again, but it would be interesting to see what the results would be for a 2nd round of this, because it's never the same once people presumably get more on the same page. I think back to the attempted Greatest Video Games of All Time Poll that broke everything into different eras... I think it'd be interesting to spotlight '60s and '70s videos, even if it required creating a mini-poll for them. Maybe I should stop now...
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Nice presentation, Live in Phoenix!

The movie Koyaanisqatsi is from 1982, so maybe this would be an interesting video from that year:
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

Fantastic countdown, thank you Live in Phoenix!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Bravo!
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

A beautiful work Live in Phoenix

The small number of voters made all participants well represented

Surprised by the first place ... For me this video is just a bunch of random special effects, BUT it sure must have been revolutionary when it came out

Like a Prayer, Take On Me, Just, Closer, All Is Full of Love, This Is America, Bad Girls ... Several great clips in the Top 20

:P
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Rateyourmusic debuts their music video ratings and charts

https://t.co/TBOcmTWSSg?amp=1

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”