The News of Today

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The News of Today

Post by Live in Phoenix »

You can post some musical news that happened today, or this same calendar day. It doesn't have to be something worthy of its own thread.

On December 7, 1980, Darby Crash died. Here's what I typed at the time for the 1980 poll last year, though I didn't end up posting it: "December 7: Darby Crash of the hardcore punk pioneers The Germs (featuring Pat Smear) intentionally ODs four days after a concert reunion, due to a mixture of any or all of: heroin, naïvety, nihilism; a desire for infamy, filtered through David Bowie's 'Five Years'; the homophobia of the punk rock scene." Darby Crash's death was very quickly overshadowed by John Lennon's death. Pat Smear of course later joined Nirvana, and then Foo Fighters.

While I was driving home today, KROQ's ROQ of the '80s DJ boiled down December 7th to Pearl Harbor, and Edison demonstrating the phonograph for the first time.
"On December 7, 1877 Thomas Edison demonstrated his phonograph at the New York City offices of the nation's leading technical weekly publication, Scientific American. The following report set off a stampede of reporters to Edison's laboratory to hear the amazing device."
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... 20American.
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: The News of Today

Post by Nick »

Tomorrow is going to be a huge one. The 40 year anniversary of Lennon's death.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

The Germs are the ones that do that famous version of Silent Night that Rodney always plays right? Trying to think if he played it on his show Sunday. Would have been the perfect opportunity. I’ll check his playlist on Facebook. His show usually rarely commemorates anniversaries of deaths although with Bowie since it was so close to his own birthday when he passed and with their version of Silent Night, might make sense since he’s already playing Xmas tunes. Love that Darby was of the LGBT community and was close to Alice Bag who I have a connection to growing up in East LA. The famous wrestler Darby Allin got name from him (and the feces flinging schitzo guy that used to rape his audience.....which, meh, might as well change his last name to Benoit if you’re gonna reference that kind of infamy)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The Darby tribute name seems obvious now. Good thing he hasn't gone to WWE, or else they'd call him something like Bob Johnson.

Incidentally, I live over in Phoenix, so the only KROQ I get is ROQ of the '80s, as the HD2 of 94.5. The main signal plays obvious '80s, technically "better" but all the stuff you've heard a million times. I'm always heading over to the KROQ '80s instead. Generally deeper cuts, plus it's sort of fun to hear the B-52's, Bow Wow Wow, and Oingo Boingo elevated to Michael Jackson levels of airplay.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Knowing Vince nowadays it’d just be Johnson if he started off as Bob Johnson on NXT LOL!
Just checked and it was the Dickies that made that punk version of Silent Night. But at least I was on the right LA punk related track. That reminds me of this band called Face to Face plugging themselves on KROQ, the most arrogant, egotistical, self centered plug you’d ever heard in your life about how they pretty much invented the LA punk scene and put everyone on the map including KROQ itself and just very Kanye West although I barely even know who Face to Face are. But what’s funny is how many times can you counter such a blanket bs, so full of yourself statement with literally one single letter? X!!!!! Nuff said. Mic drop lol!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

"I found it hard to believe that someone would have shot him. It was hard to understand." That's how my mother put it for her real-time reaction to John Lennon's death. I was way too young to understand anything about it at the time. Before 24 hour news, and the Internet, many Americans probably heard the news from Monday Night Football, during the final game minute of what had been a nail-biter. ("And I don't care what's on the line, Howard, you have got to say what we know in the booth." "Yes, we have to say it. Remember this is just a football game, no matter who wins or loses...")
https://youtu.be/n73GFvAyIjs

Howard Cosell had actually interviewed Lennon on the show almost exactly 6 years earlier, on December 9th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds82Id_GMe8

Some of the posts on the Beatles' Facebook page today:

A sad sad day but remembering my friend John with the great joy he brought to the world. I will always be proud and happy to have known and worked with this incredible Scouser! X love Paul

[George Harrison]
You were the one who had made it so clear
All those years ago
You point the way to the truth when you say
All you need is love
You were the one who imagined it all
All those years ago

[Ringo Starr]
Tuesday, 8 December 1980 we all had to say goodbye to John peace and love John. I’m asking every music radio station in the world sometime today play Strawberry Fields Forever. Peace and love.

Thanks to the magic of YouTube, you can call up Paul's same-day reaction. Influenced by some crappy Beatles book called "Shout," I used to think that Paul was being nonchalant about it all. Now it seems terribly obvious that he just didn't want reporters in his face that day.
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

The song that became the theme of his passing at the time was "In My Life." Before that it was just another album track but after that it became much better known.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Birthdays today for Elvis Presley and David Bowie.

Incidentally, I was reading a little bit of some Bowie book that I got for Christmas. I couldn’t even tell you the title offhand, but it covers his music tracks through Scary Monsters. Bowie never wrote an autobiography, and of course Elvis never did either. The closest Bowie got was Moonage Daydream: The Life & Times of Ziggy Sta,rdust which was an annotated photo book of his Ziggy years. For Elvis, I’d recommend Peter Guralnick’s two-book series, Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love. Really, in light of Jimi Hendrix’s Starting at Zero book, which compiled interviews and writings into a pseudo-autobiography, you’d think that they would apply that same treatment to any number of musicians who never wrote a book but gave years of interviews.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Evan Rachel Wood accuses Marilyn Manson of 'horrifically' abusing her

Yahoo News
The Week

Brendan Morrow
February 1, 2021, 6:36 am

Evan Rachel Wood has come forward to accuse ex-fiancé Marilyn Manson of "horrifically" abusing her.

The Westworld star has previously discussed her experiences with domestic abuse, and in an Instagram post on Monday, she revealed "the name of my abuser is Brian Warner, also known to the world as Marilyn Manson," alleging he "started grooming me when I was a teenager and horrifically abused me for years," per Variety. The two were engaged for less than a year in 2010 after their relationship became public in 2007.

"I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission," Wood wrote. "I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail. I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives."

Although Wood hadn't named Manson as her alleged abuser, she has previously opened up about being a victim of domestic violence and testified before Congress in 2018 about her experience with "toxic mental, physical and sexual abuse which started slow but escalated over time, including threats against my life, severe gaslighting and brainwashing, waking up to the man that claimed to love me, raping what he believed to be my unconscious body," per USA Today.

Manson hasn't yet commented on Wood's allegations, though his representatives previously released a statement in 2020 saying, in part, that there are "numerous articles over multiple years where Evan Rachel Wood speaks very positively about her relationship with Manson."

Alongside Wood, Vanity Fair reports four other women also came forward with their own social media posts on Monday accusing Manson of abuse and saying they have suffered from PTSD since their alleged experiences with him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo ... 00126.html
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

DMX Hospitalized and in Critical Condition After Suffering Overdose

The overdose reportedly triggered a heart attack

Spin
Katrina Nattress April 3, 2021 12:23 pm

DMX (born Earl Simmons) has been hospitalized and is in critical condition after suffering from an overdose, TMZ reports. Sources close to the rapper told the outlet that the OD occurred at his home at around 11pm Friday night, and it triggered a heart attack. He was rushed to a hospital in White Plains, New York, and is currently in the critical care unit. A source says Simmons has “some brain activity,” while another says he’s in a “vegetative state” and doctors have cautioned he might not pull through.

A rep for DMX confirmed to SPIN that he’s in the hospital but didn’t confirm further details.

https://www.spin.com/2021/04/dmx-hospit ... -overdose/

====================================================

I heard like 10 years ago about him having drug problems; I thought he once changed the chorus to "Slippin'" during a show so it went "I wants to make records but I keep fucking it up!" but that line is already in the song or close to it, dating back to 1998.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Rapper DMX is hospitalized and on life support following heart attack, longtime lawyer says

CNN
Laura Ly and Alec Snyder

(Edited)

Rapper DMX remains hospitalized and on life support in White Plains, New York, his longtime attorney Murray Richman confirmed to CNN on Sunday.

The rapper suffered a heart attack Friday around 11 p.m. at his home in White Plains and was taken via ambulance to a local hospital, where he remains on a ventilator, Richman said. The attorney said he did not know what may have caused the heart attack.

Richman said he has known DMX for 25 years and said Saturday evening that he has been in touch with the rapper's family all day. He said he is aware of the rapper's medical prognosis, but declined to comment on it.

DMX, whose real name is Earl Simmons, burst on the rap scene in the late 1990s with songs including "Party Up" and "Get At Me Dog." His first five albums debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard charts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

================================================

Technically from yesterday, but a little more vivid:

Rapper DMX Still on Life Support and ‘It Does Not Look Good,’ Lawyer Says

The Daily Beast
Jennifer Adams

Rapper DMX is still on life support and in grave condition following a heart attack, despite an earlier “misstatement” that he was breathing on his own, his lawyer was quoted as telling Page Six. “It does not look good,” attorney Murray Richman was quoted as saying late Saturday. Richman told the news outlet that “a lot of people are gathering at the hospital.” ... DMX has a history of substance use and has sought rehab treatment over the years. He was reportedly in rehab in 2019 following a year-long prison stint for tax evasion. He reportedly checked himself in at the time after feeling like he might relapse. After he ended treatment, he performed in Vegas, telling his supporters, “When you fall down, get back up... you never know what God is willing to do for you until you need him to do something for you.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rapper-dm ... g-overdose
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Kurt Cobain became part of the infamous "27 Club" 27 years ago. (Robert Johnson and Amy Winehouse are early and latter-day members.) It was on a Tuesday, but like most people I didn't know until Friday. My dad used to call around then, after school, and he told me. Cobain had said in a recent Rolling Stone interview how happy he was (don't put stock in interviews, by the way), and I remember it took me a really long time to absorb what happened. The finality of his action, of course, continues on...

Edit:
A few days later after this post, I posted this on Facebook on April 8th:
27 years ago, on a Friday afternoon after school, my dad called his very skinny son on a landline phone, pre-Facebook, pre-social media, pre-email, pre-Internet, pre-streaming, pre-Pokémon catch streak (these innovations seem like a mixed bag when I list them all off), basically to tell him that Kurt Cobain had joined the infamous 27 Club, which stretches all the way from bluesman Robert Johnson to Amy Winehouse. I used the great luxury of that time period -- MTV on cable television, at my Grandpa's house -- to watch the weekend-long tribute, which involved constant airings of Nirvana's unplugged show, which now had a sort of funereal aspect to it. When someone's been gone that long, like with John Lennon, it unfortunately just seems like part of that musician's narrative, as if unavoidable. Drug use was arguably a significant factor here, and it would later consume the lives of the singers for Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots. (Scott Weiland unusually made it all the way to middle age before dying of an OD; this unfortunately seems like the imminent fate of rapper DMX, as well.)
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Sun May 16, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

DMX Remains in Coma on Life Support, Will Undergo Critical Brain Function Tests

The Root / yahoo! life
Tonja Renée Stidhum

(Excerpt)
As of Wednesday morning, DMX (born Earl Simmons) remains in a coma on life support, his manager confirmed.

According to NBC affiliate 11 Alive, DMX’s manager Steve Rifkind provided an update on Tuesday night noting that the 50-year-old rapper-actor will be undergoing critical brain function tests.

“DMX is currently on life support and in a coma. There are multiple people with inaccurate information about his well-being and it is not helpful and productive,” Rifkind said on Tuesday. “Tomorrow he will undergo further tests on his brain function and his family will determine what’s best from there.”

DMX was reportedly deprived of oxygen for 30 minutes following his drug overdose that led to a heart attack on Friday night and the results of the tests performed on Wednesday may determine the difficult decision that his family will have to make. Per sources via TMZ, the rapper has “little brain activity.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo. ... 00917.html

I hate to say it, but I think the writing's on the wall.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Mick Jagger teams up with Dave Grohl for a song

ROLLING STONE
Mick Jagger Has Some Thoughts on the Pandemic, Anti-Vaxxers, and Conspiracy Theories

The Rolling Stones frontman opens up about his new song with Dave Grohl “Eazy Sleazy,” Trump “winging” the pandemic, and the “light at the end of the tunnel”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 54825/amp/
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

5 years without Prince :cry:
Opioids took him from us, like they would with Tom Petty the following year.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

By today, I mean last night. Not a really important post, but, don't try to sneak go-go/funk music past 74-year-old Glenn Close.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Thought I heard recently Lucinda Williams suffered a stroke. Hope it’s nothing too serious. Thoughts and well wishes to an amazing talent.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

It was only just recently reported:

Lucinda Williams Suffered a Stroke Last Year

The singer-songwriter is in recovery and unable to play guitar, but hopes to return to the stage this summer

Pitchfork
MATTHEW ISMAEL RUIZ MAY 4 2021

Lucinda Williams suffered a stroke in November 2020, Rolling Stone reports. Williams experienced a blood clot on the right side of her brain on November 17 that affected the left side of her body, and was rushed to Nashville’s Vanderbilt Medical Center. After a month of therapy at a Vanderbilt rehab center, she was discharged on December 21. Now six months into her recovery, Williams walks with a cane, is unable to play guitar, and continues to experience pain on her left side. Her husband Tom Overby said there were no signs of brain damage and that she is expected to make a full recovery.

Williams, who turned 68 in January, was originally scheduled to perform at the Mile 0 Festival in Key West, Florida, this past weekend, but canceled the appearance last month. Williams plans to return to performing this summer; her tour opening for Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit is scheduled to start July 19 in Vancouver, British Columbia. Her cover of Sharon Van Etten’s “Save Yourself” appeared on Van Etten’s covers LP epic Ten in March. Her last LP Good Souls Better Angels was released in April 2020.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork. ... -year/amp/
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Pop Smoke was gunned down by a baby-faced 15-year-old shooter who ambushed the Brooklyn rapper with a group of teens

They were bent on stealing the singer’s diamond-studded Rolex, a detective testifies

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ ... ssion=true

From my time working at a juvenile prosecution office, I've learned that some teenagers are perfectly willing to gamble throwing away their lives, and for even less money.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I know hair metal never does to well here and rightfully so IMO but their poster child music video sex kitten, Tawny Kitean passed away today as well.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Today's news is we're back online :mrgreen:
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The CDC's message for vaccinated citizens:

People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I asked you to go to the Green Day concert
You said you never heard of them (how cool is that)
How cool is that?
So I went to your room and read your diary:
"Watching Grunge leg drop New Jack through a press table"
R.I P. New Jack (died May 14th, at 58 years old)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Wow. I never knew they were referenced in that song. I know his tag team, the Gangstas used NWA as their theme music which is kind of funny with them working with several territories of the actual NWA wrestling organization. The way WWF and the World Wildlife Federation used to have conflicts, always wondered why the National Wrestling Alliance and the rap group NWA never really had issues. I know Ice Cube and company used to strike fear in people but you put guys like The Ganstas, Haku, Road Warriors and the Anoia’is (the Rocks family) in the mix to strongly suggest they change their names you got a legit war on your hands. Maybe that was for the best. But now I’m noticing AEW is now licensing popular music to bring their wrestlers out again like Pixies and recently the Troggs even. Bringing it back to the old territory days when they’d have recognizable songs instead of themes written for the wrestlers. Bray Wyatt and Darby Allin have cool original themes. Think the bassist to the JAMC wrote the Wyatts theme. Well RIP and the keep letter is P with someone as tormented as New Jack. Hope he’s finally found it.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Bob Dylan is now 80. (Get used to that number pretty soon for '60s legends.)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

50 Reasons to Love Joni Mitchell's ‘Blue’

"The singer-songwriter questioned everything on her fourth album. Twenty-five musicians speak about the LP’s enduring power on its 50th anniversary."

The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... e=Homepage
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

BTS' 'Butter' Tops Hot 100 for Sixth Week, Ed Sheeran's 'Bad Habits' Debuts at No. 5

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/ ... bad-habits

==================================================

The Number One song in the land for 6 weeks now. I haven't heard it on the radio but I've played it on YouTube several times. It's slightly better than the usual boy band/teen pop smoke & mirrors.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The statue of white supremacist icon Robert E. Lee was finally removed today in Charlottesville, Virginia (along with fellow Confederate General Stonewall Jackson's statue). This prompted any number of comments on Twitter of course, with some clever people quoting some or all of:
Back with my wife in Tennessee
When one day she called to me
Virgil, quick, come see
There goes Robert E. Lee

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Biz Markie, 'Just A Friend' rapper, dead at 57 (July 16th)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biz_Markie
No official cause of death has been given yet, though he had major diabetic issues.
Biz Markie, Goin' Off (1988) album:

This was just a few months after the death of another old school hip-hop icon, Shock G of the Digital Underground, also at 57 (in his case, from an accidental drug overdose).
Digital Underground, Sex Packets (1990) album:
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

This is currently the most read article on the Washington Post.

A naked baby helped Nirvana sell millions of records. Now 30, he’s suing the band for ‘child pornography.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rnography/
defendants include Nirvana LLC, several of its members, the estate of frontman Kurt Cobain, the designer and photographer involved in creating the cover, and the record label that released the album.

The suit alleges that all were involved in making child pornography and benefited from “the sex-trafficking venture and Spencer’s exploitation” that was the distribution of “Nevermind.”
The only thing the lawsuit may end up generating is funny user comments on the Washington Post site and on Twitter, etc.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:38 pm This is currently the most read article on the Washington Post.

A naked baby helped Nirvana sell millions of records. Now 30, he’s suing the band for ‘child pornography.’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rnography/
defendants include Nirvana LLC, several of its members, the estate of frontman Kurt Cobain, the designer and photographer involved in creating the cover, and the record label that released the album.

The suit alleges that all were involved in making child pornography and benefited from “the sex-trafficking venture and Spencer’s exploitation” that was the distribution of “Nevermind.”
The only thing the lawsuit may end up generating is funny user comments on the Washington Post site and on Twitter, etc.

LOL, why didn't he sue 5 years ago?

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads ... -elden.jpg
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

He hasn't exactly garnered much sympathy. It only became child pornography when he couldn't move out of his mom's house. People of course have made jokes like the guy is still chasing a dollar.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

He knows the child pornographers charge isn’t going to amount to anything because it’s clearly an artistic reference to capitalism.

But, it may raise the settlement amount he gets by raising the cost of going to trial.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The closest I saw to sympathy was someone thinking that he should maybe get royalties. Well, right, who wouldn't love to make crazy freaking cash being on the cover of an album. But I don't think it works like that. Is the kid on the early U2 albums a multi-millionaire?
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

I wouldn't make fun of him because he's not wrong and I do understand what he's saying.
It probably is mostly about money, but that doesn't mean what he says is entirely untrue.

I might write a longer post about this later, but I need to sort my thoughts first.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Here's the entire article
Morning Mix

By Jonathan Edwards [Washington Post]
Today [August 25] at 7:35 a.m. EDT

[Photo: Kurt Cobain of Nirvana performs in Seattle in 1993. (Robert Sorbo/AP)]

Spencer Elden may very well be the most famous naked baby the world has ever seen.

A photo of him as an infant — submerged in water and seemingly chasing a dollar bill dangling from a fish hook — became the cover of Nirvana’s 1991 release “Nevermind,” considered one of the greatest rock albums of all time.

Three decades later, Elden is now claiming the album cover is child pornography.

Elden, who’s 30, on Tuesday filed a lawsuit in a Los Angeles federal court against a host of defendants tied to the album, alleging the cover is “sexual exploitation” that will hurt him — emotionally and physically — for the rest of his life.

Those defendants include Nirvana LLC, several of its members, the estate of frontman Kurt Cobain, the designer and photographer involved in creating the cover, and the record label that released the album. None of them responded to emails sent from The Washington Post late Tuesday and early Wednesday.

“[They] used child pornography depicting Spencer … in a sexually provocative manner to gain notoriety, drive sales, and garner media attention,” the lawsuit states. Elden is represented by Robert Y. Lewis, a New York-based attorney.

Elden’s legal guardians did not sign a release authorizing Nirvana or the band’s record label to use the image of Elden “and certainly not of commercial child pornography,” the suit claims. Elden said he has never received any financial compensation for the cover, which Billboard last year ranked No. 7 on its list of “The 50 Greatest Album Covers of All Time.”

Cobain’s original idea for the cover of “Nevermind” was a baby being born underwater, but designer Robert Fisher nixed it as infeasible, according to an undated article written for Milanote, a company that offers an online organization tool.

While ruling out much of Cobain’s idea, Fisher kept the germ of having a baby underwater.

“So Kurt came up with the idea of adding a fishhook to make it more menacing,” Fisher said for the Milanote article, which Elden cites in his lawsuit.

Concept in hand, they hired photographer Kirk Weddle to execute their vision. Weddle then recruited about five parents to bring their infants to an aquatic center in Pasadena, Calif., according to Milanote, where they took turns passing their babies under the water as Weddle took pictures.

Elden’s dad, Rick, had become friends with Weddle when he was helping with sets and props on photo shoots. One day, Weddle telephoned with an unusual request concerning his 4-month-old son.

“[He] calls us up and was like, ‘Hey Rick, [want to] make 200 bucks and throw your kid in the drink?’" Rick Elden told NPR at the time. “And we just had a big party at the pool, and no one had any idea what was going on!”

A week later, Fisher received the proof sheets of 40 to 50 shots. One stood out far above the rest: It was Elden.

“There was just one that was absolutely perfect. The positioning, the look on the baby’s face, the way that his arms were stretched out like he was reaching for something — everything about it was just perfect. That’s the one I picked,” Fisher said for the Milanote article.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday paints a darker picture, identifying Nirvana’s frontman as the one who made the decision.

“Cobain chose the image depicting Spencer — like a sex worker — grabbing for a dollar bill that is positioned dangling from a fishhook in front of his nude body,” the suit alleges.

Elden has spent decades struggling to come to terms with the fame that has followed him since before he could walk. He has worked with photographers several times over the years to re-create the album cover — all with clothes on. He has “Nevermind” tattooed across his chest.

His attitudes about it have changed, too.

In 2008, as a teenager, he told NPR: “Quite a few people in the world have seen my penis,” he said. “So that’s [kind of] cool. I’m just a normal kid living it up and doing the best I can while I’m here.”

Over the next eight years, his outlook soured. In 2016, Elden did several interviews when he was in his mid-20s on the 25th anniversary of the “Nevermind” release.

In one with GQ, Elden said he was angry about being defined by something he had no control over. In another with Time, he said “it feels kind of stupid doing interviews about it, because I had nothing to do with it, but a lot to do with it all at the same time.”

Elden said some people think it’s cool that he’s “the Nirvana baby.” But, he added, women he dated would dump him when they found out he wasn’t making any money off it. And having friends talk about the naked photo was embarrassing, especially without any compensation to offset that humiliation, he said.

While Elden has struggled financially, he said, others have and are still making millions off something he helped create — even if he didn’t have a say in what was created.

“It’s a trip. Everyone involved in the album has tons and tons of money. I feel like I’m the last little bit of grunge rock,” he told Time in 2016. “I’m living in my mom’s house and driving a Honda Civic.”

Elden is seeking at least $150,000 from each of the 15 named defendants in the lawsuit, legal fees and other unspecified damages.

In the GQ article, Elden also addressed an issue more closely tied to the lawsuit he filed Tuesday.

“I’ve been going through it my whole life. But recently I’ve been thinking, ‘What if I wasn’t OK with my freaking penis being shown to everybody?’ I didn’t really have a choice.”

Perhaps sensing it had become a sore subject, the interviewer gave Elden a reprieve. They were done talking about Nirvana, he said. Time to move on to a new subject: What was he doing now? After all, Elden had become an accomplished artist in his own right.

“I’ve been doing a few art shows and paintings,” Elden said before turning back to the subject of the Nirvana album cover. “I don’t know if I’m ever going to be able to do a piece of work better than that in my entire life. But I’m just trying to get it out of my head — this image of a baby chasing a dollar — and not worry about making millions of dollars.

“It’s a complicated thing.”
I'd be offended by all the child porn allegations if it wasn't all so stupid. Maybe he could have argued for a bigger payout than he originally got.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Has Nanci Griffiths passing been posted here?. I remember she was a huge deal especially when performing acoustic at the triple A station here in LA, KSCA, before they changed their format to Spanish and KCRW started becoming of major relevance.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

luvulongTIM wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:19 am Has Nanci Griffith's passing been posted here?. I remember she was a huge deal especially when performing acoustic at the triple A station here in LA, KSCA, before they changed their format to Spanish and KCRW started becoming of major relevance.
First time just now
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Nirvana's Nevermind was released this calendar day in 1991, probably my favorite year of music. I used to look at old Billboard issues in the basement of the old Phoenix Public Library, and I seem to remember that Nevemind (and Pearl Jam's Ten) charted rather modestly for weeks. One outlook was that "Come As You Are" would be the big hit, and if everyone connected with the album worked really hard, the album would go gold.

Nevermind of course became a smash, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" would go on to hit #6 on the charts. Rock songs didn't really top the charts anymore by the '90s, but I decided to finally look up what else was in the top 10 that week:
1. Michael Jackson - Black or White (that same week, his album was dethroned by Nirvana)
2. Color Me Badd - All 4 Love (a guilty pleasure favorite around here)
3. Mariah Carey - Can't Let Go
4. Boyz II Men - It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday (this made my Extended List)
5. Hammer - 2 Legit 2 Quit
6. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
7. Hammer - Addams Groove (wow that Hammer guy is going places... Actually his career was already tailing off)
8. George Michael/Elton John - Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
9. CeCe Peniston - Finally
10. Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch - Wildside (This sampled Lou Reed's "Walk on the Wild Side")

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1992-01-11
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 pm Nirvana's Nevermind was released this calendar day in 1991, probably my favorite year of music.
Low End Theory and Blood Sugar Sex Magik were also released that day. Arguably the best day of album releases ever.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Listyguy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:00 am
Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:48 pm Nirvana's Nevermind was released this calendar day in 1991, probably my favorite year of music.
Low End Theory and Blood Sugar Sex Magik were also released that day. Arguably the best day of album releases ever.
Primal Scream's Screamadelica too. Absolutely stacked.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Well I'm in the middle of listening to all of 1991's AMF albums.
Last heard was Simply Red's Stars. Not impressed. 1991 had its share of acclaimed, but ultimately bad albums.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Jackson wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:15 pm
Listyguy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:00 am
Primal Scream's Screamadelica too. Absolutely stacked.
Also Trompe le Monde !
September 11 2001 also had a lot of great albums released though obviously that's not what the day is remembered for !
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Jury finds R. Kelly guilty in federal trial
R&B singer R. Kelly has been found guilty in his federal trial, where he faced charges relating to the alleged sexual exploitation and physical abuse of children. The jury came to a decision on Monday afternoon following 23 days of trial starting on August 18, which included 50 witnesses overall, according to CNN. The R&B star has been the subject of accusations of sexual abuse for decades, according to The New York Times, but this is his first criminal trial since he was acquitted on child pornography charges in 2008. Kelly has been in federal custody since 2019 and denies any wrongdoing.
One news link, for example:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnew ... cna1280053
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

spiritualized wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 pm Well I'm in the middle of listening to all of 1991's AMF albums.
Last heard was Simply Red's Stars. Not impressed. 1991 had its share of acclaimed, but ultimately bad albums.
I've heard Stars too and wasn't impressed. I think there were two songs that I liked, the first two songs. And obviously we all have our own favorites, and favorite years. But so, the 1991 albums that first come to mind for me are Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, U2's Achtung Baby, R.E.M.'s Out of Time, and very strong personal favorites Sting's The Soul Cages, Enya's Shepherd Moons, and then there are still albums that make my all-time album list from there: Loveless; Woodface; Use Your Illusion II; Badmotorfinger; Blue Lines. And then the main site's top 10 has strong favorites for other people, that provide at least some interest for me. (As a side note, the site's top 10 has rock albums that people still talk about, that don't even really have anything to do with the grunge movement that came and went fairly quickly.) And then there are the songs, which would take too long to get into, but besides the aforementioned artists, there's Guns N' Roses, "November Rain," Queen, "These Are the Days of Our Lives," Bonnie Raitt, "I Can’t Make You Love Me," Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Under the Bridge"... In particular, "I Can't Make You Love Me" now seems like the all-time top 10 song by a woman that I had been searching for (which would replace...another 1991 song on my list). Shocker :roll:: 1991 is when I started to come of age.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

spiritualized wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 pm Well I'm in the middle of listening to all of 1991's AMF albums.
Seems weird to pick on something toward the bottom of the AM list. It is kind of odd that album (which I never hear anyone talk about) is on there but Swans and Chapterhouse are not.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Jackson wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:31 pm
Seems weird to pick on something toward the bottom of the AM list. It is kind of odd that album (which I never hear anyone talk about) is on there but Swans and Chapterhouse are not.
Ah :)
There's a good reason for this : I'm listening to 1991's ranked list backwards.
I will therefore reach the better ones soon..
Stil, if it made the list...
Archangel
Are You Experienced?

Post by Archangel »

As this thread is news of the day you are getting a little ahead of the news 😉😘 From what I can see it was released in the UK on the 30th September 1991 and not released in France where you and I are, until October 1991. I had a housemate who played this album a lot but I never would have bought it... but to be honest none of their music would make my playlist.
I’m just a girl... (don’t you think I know exactly where I stand ?)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Rolling Stone goes hard after Eric Clapton, after his vaccine "skepticism." (Incidentally, he got the AstraZeneca shots, but had a bad reaction. Also incidentally, I got my Pfizer shots. Go get your shots.) The article lurches toward some terrible comments he made at a '70s concert in Birmingham. I have mixed feelings about this. It seems like they're trying hard to burn him down. (This isn't to excuse his comments.) Usually I feel like when someone's trying to cancel somebody, implicitly the canceller is supposed to be the model citizen that the cancelled person is not -- the canceller passes the purity test, and the cancelled didn't. The article brings up a terrible quote that Clapton made about Hendrix in 1968...in Rolling Stone. Then it mentions putting Clapton on the cover 8 times since 1968. The article mentions published accounts and a published report of the Birmingham concert, and an angry letter by Red Saunders in NME leading to the Rock Against Racism concerts, co-founded by Saunders, which lasted for about 5 years. Is it really conceivable that Rolling Stone knew nothing about the Birmingham concert during all those years of putting Clapton on magazine covers? I get the feeling they knew and sat on it -- in which case, there's culpability in the following excerpt. (Who didn't challenge him? Who helped bestow privilege?)
“It’s incomprehensible to me, in a way, that I got so far out. And there was no one to challenge me.” He may have had a point about the latter: As a privileged member of rock’s ruling class, he has long shown a tendency to do what he wants when he wants to do it, with seemingly little regard for consequences.
Eric Clapton Isn’t Just Spouting Vaccine Nonsense—He’s Bankrolling It
Eric Clapton went from setting the standard for rock guitar to making ‘full-tilt’ racist rants to becoming an outspoken vaccine skeptic. Did he change? Or was he always like this?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ssion=true
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Just found out about Greg Gilbert, lead singer from The Delays passing recently. That debut of theirs was like the soundtrack to my mid 2000s. Such an underrated masterpiece. He was only 44 and died from colon cancer. RIP

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”