The News of Today

Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: The News of Today

Post by Jackson »

Greatest album of all time came out 30 years ago today. Happy birthday Loveless! It still sounds like it comes from the future.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

New album from ABBA, after quite a bit of time off.

Twitter comment: "It sounds like it was recorded 2 years after The Visitors? Which is exactly what I wanted."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

At least 8 dead and many injured at Astroworld Festival in Houston
At least eight people are dead and many others were injured after a crowd surged forward as rapper Travis Scott was on stage at the Astroworld Festival in Houston on Friday night, officials said.

About 50,000 people were at the sold-out outdoor music festival at NRG Park, the stadium complex where the Astrodome and the NRG Stadium stand.

More than 300 people were treated at a field hospital set up near the festival, an official said.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/astrow ... index.html
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

50 years ago: The release of Led Zeppelin's fourth album, usually called Led Zeppelin IV. It is one of six albums with 20+ million sales in the U.S. (There's the Eagles' first greatest hits album; Thriller; then, geez, the Eagles again, Hotel California; Back in Black; Led Zeppelin at #5; and Rumours.)

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Moody Blues co-founder, drummer Graeme Edge, dies at 80

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/12/10550266 ... dies-at-80
"When Graeme told me he was retiring I knew that without him it couldn't be the Moody Blues anymore," [Justin] Hayward said. "And that's what happened. It's true to say that he kept the group together throughout all the years, because he loved it."
(The Simpsons episode "Viva Ned Flanders": Graeme Edge on the right, singer Justin Hayward on the left)

Edge was the one remaining founding member still with the group. (Justin Hayward and John Lodge arrived slightly later.) I follow the group on Facebook, and I hadn't really thought about how all the postings seemed to be about solo shows, but I guess the band is informally disbanded.

To be honest, I never cared very much for the poetry tracks, but Edge's rare rock numbers were better than most other examples of "Now it's time for the drummer's song on the album."
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Michael Nesmith, Monkees Singer-Songwriter, Dead at 78

“With infinite love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes,” his family said in a statement

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... d-1270079/
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I remember after Davy Jones passed, there was talk from Michael Nesmith (usually hard to pin down) about more Monkee material. I didn't know if it'd transpire, and I kind of forgot about it -- but indeed, 20 years after Justus came Good Times! (2016), and they closed out a couple years later with Christmas Party, perhaps of interest for those looking for some Christmas material right now.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Robert Palmer was born this calendar day. I generally feel like I know which celebrities are alive or dead, so when I was reading a U2 article today, I was surprised to see a passing mention of the "late" Robert Palmer... And then I found out that he passed away in 2003 :? (I'm not sure I would have mentioned this without the segue of it happening to be his birthday, which I hadn't even known previously.)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Well since we’re going over past passings, this one’s a little more recent but surprisingly I don’t believe mentioned here. Ronnie Spector at 78. Lot of great write ups on Twitter and just about every dj on Little Stevens Underground Garage was absolutely enamored by here presence so there was a very touching tribute show in her honor.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Neil Young Demands Spotify Remove His Music Over ‘False Information About Vaccines’
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... n-1290020/
"They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young,” Neil Young wrote in a letter to his manager and label, “Not both." Young demands Spotify remove his music over "false information about vaccines"

Eric Clapton claims people who have had the Covid vaccine are victims of 'mass formation hypnosis'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... nosis.html
Mass formation psychosis - an attempt to hypnotise groups of people to follow messages against their will - has been widely discredited by scientists.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

My father-in-law (about 60 years old) has been fucked up for about two months from getting Covid and being unvaccinated. He's still not back at his home yet. I know someone in a small town near Kingman about the same age who died at the end of last year, also unvaccinated. My wife currently has breakthrough Covid -- she's younger than either of them, of course, but she got it in the middle of her post-booster two week period, and basically just has a cold. Yet her 81-year-old grandfather also got Covid, and basically just had a cold. He's had the initial two vaccine shots, and I'm sure he has any number of potential underlying conditions.

Since I'm in quarantine, I have a bit too much free time on my hands, and watched the Clapton video. He admits to having an underlying condition of peripheral neuropathy before he got the vaccine. So the vaccine exaggerated an issue that was already there. I sympathize with his bad physical reaction, I'd call him one of the unlucky ones in that regard, but -- trying to be nice -- I guess that led him down a weird rabbit hole.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:08 am Neil Young Demands Spotify Remove His Music Over ‘False Information About Vaccines’
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... n-1290020/
"They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young,” Neil Young wrote in a letter to his manager and label, “Not both." Young demands Spotify remove his music over "false information about vaccines"

Eric Clapton claims people who have had the Covid vaccine are victims of 'mass formation hypnosis'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... nosis.html
Mass formation psychosis - an attempt to hypnotise groups of people to follow messages against their will - has been widely discredited by scientists.
Sadly COVID killed the ‘Loaf as well.

He was another anti-vaxxer too.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones broke up today. Ska was popular for like two years in the late '90s, and they had a hit song and album. Except for a brief hiatus, they had actually been together about 40 f***ing years (since 1983)!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:56 am The Mighty Mighty Bosstones broke up today. Ska was popular for like two years in the late '90s, and they had a hit song and album. Except for a brief hiatus, they had actually been together about 40 f***ing years (since 1983)!
Hello, I take the opportunity of your message to ask a question.
It's not the first time I've seen Americans put *** in words that are perfectly recognizable.
We all see that you wrote "fucking" with "f***ing", so why not write the word completely knowing that everyone reads it as if the asterisks don't exist? I find this extremely weird as a practice!
Using this word, making it absolutely understood by everyone who will read the sentence but just refusing to write it, sometimes I feel like I'm in a wizard book. :-)

Where does this almost mystical ban come from?

Sorry, it has nothing to do with music but I can't understand how a few words can be banned from writing? Especially when talking about music, where these words are used indiscriminately.
Thanks.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Romain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:46 am Hello, I take the opportunity of your message to ask a question.
It's not the first time I've seen Americans put *** in words that are perfectly recognizable.
Not that anyone does it around here, but I'll hear/read people sometimes who are just cussing all the time, and it gets tiresome. Do I even recommend "***" to other people? Not necessarily. It might just be how I feel at the time when typing. (In person, I've been greatly encouraged to stop my casual swearing around my 2-year-old, and I've generally been successful at it. For that matter, at work, profanity is more like a rumor that doesn't exist...except for one or two female attorneys who swear like a dude.) It's like a cartoonish bleeping. The full word has come up here when I get sort of worked up, but the Mighty Mighty Bosstones can't get me worked up -- the closest being when I found out that they practically had an AC/DC-length career.

Searching my own profile, I've used "fuck" or "fucking" numerous times here. Many times I was just quoting somebody. One time I was cussing out the former President. I'll leave those out. Otherwise...

A Compendium of Fucks
Re: AMF's Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018): Results Thread
A lot of music can be "difficult" one way or another. A guilty pleasure song doesn't suggest you have peculiar taste -- it suggests you have NO FUCKING TASTE
Re: Artist of the Month Song/Album Polls - April '21 - The Velvet Underground!
[Reviewing the infamous Squeeze album]
Shockingly adequate. Especially coming off of my re-visit of the Shaggs, Squeeze seems like a masterpiece among albums that are considered fucking terrible.
Re: Biggest Fan - April 2020
[Reviewing Peter Brötzmann – Machine Gun]
Musical instruments can make all these careful melodies, or can call forth any number of musical styles. They can also just make a fucking racket or assault, capturing a primal feeling instead of trying to harness some of it into something more sophisticated.
Re: Songs and Albums of 1983 Poll
[Referring primarily to the Rolling Stones' Undercover]
Just some good tunes or delightful fucking around that didn't compare well with the nearby glory days.
Re: Best concerts you've been to
The term I later came up with for this sound in concert was Rocking the Fuck Out -- there are people on record you don't think of as loud, who will maybe never be loud on record, who suddenly hit you with loud, raging guitars
[There are a couple other posts where I generally use this expression]

[Responding to "When’s the last time you heard someone defend “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da”?"]
It's a catchy song, I like it. Now Honey Pie (either of them), what the fuck was that about...
[Listing off Yo La Tengo's astoundingly awful album titles]
What the fuck, with some of these. I feel like I'm being attacked while reading these.
R.I.P. Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)
This fucking year...
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Haha... thanks for the answer. A fucking lot of "fucking" :-)

But I still don't understand the point of putting *** since we all know what word it represents! It's like a self-censorship... but it's useless. It's even worse because it draws the eye specifically to that word you want to hide!

Whatever, I like your answer ;-)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Romain wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:55 pm Haha... thanks for the answer. A fucking lot of "fucking" :-)

But I still don't understand the point of putting *** since we all know what word it represents! It's like a self-censorship... but it's useless. It's even worse because it draws the eye specifically to that word you want to hide!

Whatever, I like your answer ;-)
There used to be a norm in the media to censor everything. That has changed, particularly with most news moving to the Internet, and I also saw a change during the Trump presidency, where if he said something like "shithole countries" most media outlets would quote it directly uncensored.

I will say sometimes it's a stylistic choice to "self censor" by saying "f***ing" instead of "fucking." I can't figure out how to explain it exactly, but even if I'm texting a friend who I am comfortable cursing around, I might choose to say "f***king" in a particular situation as I feel like the meaning is a little different.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The lead singer of Black Country, New Road is leaving the band

https://pitchfork.com/news/black-countr ... l_facebook
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

BleuPanda wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 am The lead singer of Black Country, New Road is leaving the band

Hopefully he gets to a happier place soon! I will say, I'm a little surprised that the other band members intend to continue on without him. They're all phenomenal players, of course, but his vocals are easily the most dynamic and distinctive part of their sound. And if the band never does reform in full, they'll have left an incredibly strong legacy from just two releases - one of which isn't even out yet.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Tom Brady, the legendary American football quarterback and winner of a record 7 Super Bowls, officially announced his retirement from the NFL today after 22 seasons.

Noted here because of one of my favorite musical moments of recent years: Parquet Courts ending "Total Football," the opening track on 2018's Wide Awake, with the rousing exclamation "And fuck Tom Brady!"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

acroamor wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:20 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 am The lead singer of Black Country, New Road is leaving the band

Hopefully he gets to a happier place soon! I will say, I'm a little surprised that the other band members intend to continue on without him. They're all phenomenal players, of course, but his vocals are easily the most dynamic and distinctive part of their sound. And if the band never does reform in full, they'll have left an incredibly strong legacy from just two releases - one of which isn't even out yet.
When was the last time this sort of thing happened for a critically acclaimed band at the outset of their success? It's a shame for the other bandmembers that the touring income will be lost. I hope they are able to successfully replace him; though he brought a distinctive vibe his vocals certainly aren't the strongest.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The Day the Music Died -- 1959

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died
The Civil Aeronautics Board concluded that the probable cause of the accident was "the pilot's unwise decision" to attempt a flight that required skills he did not have.

Another contributing factor was the "seriously inadequate" weather briefing provided to [the pilot], which "failed to even mention adverse flying conditions which should have been highlighted".
It's actually because of Twitter that I know some of these famous dates better. Postscript: Waylon Jennings, later a country star, was part of Buddy Holly's band, but didn't get on the flight, and died at 64 in 2002, from diabetic complications, in Chandler, Arizona. María Elena Holly, Holly's widow ("if only I had gone along, Buddy never would have gotten into that airplane"), is still alive, at age 89.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Kanye West Says He Won’t Put Kid Cudi On ‘Donda 2’ And Kid Cudi Called Him A ‘Dinosaur’ In Response
In the [Instagram] post, Kanye shared an image of a handwritten note that read, “Just so everyone knows Cudi will not be on Donda because he’s friends with you know who.” He added, “We all speak Billie language now.” While Kanye didn’t specify who “you know who” refers to, many have concluded that it’s Pete Davidson, who’s with Cudi. Additionally, Kanye tagged Kim Kardashian and Michael Che from SNL, which Davidson also appears on, thus making it quite obvious that Kanye was indeed referring to Davidson.

Shortly after the message was shared, Cudi responded to Kanye’s words in the comment section of the post. “Too bad I dont wanna be on ur album u f*ckin dinosaur hahaha,” he wrote with a laughing emoji. “Everyone knows ive been the best thing about ur albums since i met u. Ima pray [for u] brother [peace out emoji].”
https://uproxx.com/music/kanye-west-kid ... t-donda-2/

One of the Instagram responses: "Ye this is middle school stuff"
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Dang no Kids See Ghosts 2 coming I guess
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:08 am
“Everyone knows ive been the best thing about ur albums since i met u. Ima pray [for u] brother [peace out emoji].”
I guess to Cudi’s credit the only great project Kanye has done in almost a decade was Kids See Ghosts…
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The post has since been taken down, but I saw it myself. It's just been replaced by another weird post about Kid Cudi.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Besides the big halftime show, I guess there was another special musical moment, which I'd be better clued in on if I lived in Los Angeles.

====================================================

Los Angeles Times

Commentary: With Super Bowl title, Rams can finally celebrate being an enduring part of L.A.

The blue-and-yellow confetti fluttered to the SoFi Stadium field, and the unofficial Los Angeles anthem pulsed to the heavens.

Roll down the window,

Put down the top,

Crank up the Beach Boys,

Baby don’t let the music stop,

We’re gonna ride it ‘til we just can’t ride it no more.

In a night of lump-in-the-throat moments for Kevin Demoff, when the Rams capped a Hollywood script of a season by winning Super Bowl LVI on their home field, that memory is now indelible as tattoo ink.

“The moment for me was standing on the field and they’re playing ‘I Love L.A.’ in L.A.,” said Demoff, the team’s chief operating officer, who grew up in this city and helped bring the franchise back from St. Louis. “Just knowing what that song has always meant to the franchises here.”
https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/sto ... les-legacy

Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:55 pm Besides the big halftime show, I guess there was another special musical moment, which I'd be better clued in on if I lived in Los Angeles.
I Love LA is played after every Dodgers and Rams win. In the last few years that I've lived in LA, I've grown to love the song for its absurd campiness.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Before the infamous ice skating routine by Kamila Valieva, I had an "I'm sorry, what??" moment as one of the medalists skated to "I Wanna Be Your Dog" (Alexandra "Sasha" Trusova).
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

The best "today's date is all the same number" song. (Though its only competition is maybe "Revolution 9" by the Beatles, which was sort of the soundtrack of the news of their CDs finally getting remastered on 9/9/9.)

Culture, "Two Sevens Clash"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PjURr7lb4
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

We'll see how this turns out...

Kanye West fans who spent $230 to listen to his new album #DONDA2 are upset that it failed to drop at midnight

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kanye-wes ... itter_page
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Mark Lanegan, Grunge Pioneer and Screaming Trees Singer, Dead at 57

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... y-1311045/
From his Twitter page:

Our beloved friend Mark Lanegan passed away this morning at his home in Killarney, Ireland. A beloved singer, songwriter, author and musician he was 57 and is survived by his wife Shelley. No other information is available at this time. We ask Please respect the family privacy
Here is a version of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" that predates Nirvana's unplugged version by three years (and has Nirvana, minus their drummer, playing on it). It was just a few days ago that I was thinking of how the grunge scene probably suffered more high-profile untimely deaths than even gangsta rap.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Kanye West Faces Backlash After Releasing 'Disturbing' Video in Which He Buries Pete Davidson Alive

The rapper released a concerning video for his song "Eazy" Tuesday, just hours after a court signed off on ex Kim Kardashian's request to be declared single

https://people.com/music/kanye-west-fac ... -davidson/

==================================================

Not exactly one of the great beef battles.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I feel like back in 2020 everyone was like “I hope Kanye gets the help he needs, he seems to be struggling.”

It appears he did not get the help he needed.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Get the feeling Ye going after Pete has to do with the fact that Pete went after/made fun of Ye multiple times on SNL way before any of this when he didn't really know him. Then Pete tries to be some casual friend of Ye getting in photos with him. Then Pete magically starts dating (using that term very lightly) his wife while still legally married. As long as it stays like this and does not cross the line into physical violence I don't have a problem with this video. Don't blame him for going after Pete. Pete seems to get a pass from a lot of people and Ye doesn't usually beef with a lot of people so this would be my guess as why he's going a little extra on him.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

https://www.billboard.com/business/lega ... 235037859/

Regardless of your stance on these recent plagiarism lawsuits, this one sounds like a straight rip.

As an aside, it's funny that this unknown reggae band came up with a chorus so good it would form the basis of one of the biggest and best pop songs of the last few years, and didn't even bother to repeat it throughout the song.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Jackson wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:24 am https://www.billboard.com/business/lega ... 235037859/

Regardless of your stance on these recent plagiarism lawsuits, this one sounds like a straight rip.

As an aside, it's funny that this unknown reggae band came up with a chorus so good it would form the basis of one of the biggest and best pop songs of the last few years, and didn't even bother to repeat it throughout the song.
Especially funny that it was a reggae band (like, do they even have those anymore, stateside). I like how the song just terminates, as if they ran out of musical ideas. But yeah, this band is probably set for life from a settlement.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Foo Fighters Drummer Taylor Hawkins Dies at 50

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/foo ... 27807.html

Website articles aren't claiming a cause of death... Wikipedia,.for what it's worth, is claiming, perhaps erroneously, "He died in his hotel room due to an overdose in Bogota, Colombia, where the band was scheduled to play to close a festival. (Wiki source -- A Spanish article I can't read: https://summainferno.com/encuentran-mue ... en-bogota/ ... I just tried applying my poor Spanish skills, and I don't notice any talk of an overdose in the article.)

3/26: The Spanish link is out, replaced by a British link with a similar allegation. (I couldn't say how reputable The Evening Standard is.)
Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins’ sudden death ‘may be drugs related’
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tayl ... 90619.html
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Something involving this rapper often partnered alongside DJ Jazzy Jeff occurred on Sunday if I’m not mistaken. I know a lot of you are coming here to escape that nonsense but technically he got his start in music so….
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

luvulongTIM wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:28 am Something involving this rapper often partnered alongside DJ Jazzy Jeff occurred on Sunday if I’m not mistaken. I know a lot of you are coming here to escape that nonsense but technically he got his start in music so….
I heard that he ruined Western civilization. My mom thinks Jada should have given the slap.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Film Of Prince At Age 11 Discovered In Archival Footage Of 1970 Mpls. Teachers Strike

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/04/ ... tage-1970/

In lighter news, a local news station goes through some old footage and just finds Prince giving some remarks.
Setsukograb
Debut

Post by Setsukograb »

I feel so sorry for him. RIP
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Kurt Cobain’s final days to be dramatised by Royal Opera House

Last Days, adapted from acclaimed 2005 film, ‘plunges into the torment’ of Nirvana singer before death in 1994
The Guardian

Harriet Sherwood Arts and culture correspondent
@harrietsherwood
Wed 6 Apr 2022 09.38 EDT

Photo: Kurt Cobain at the taping of MTV Unplugged at Sony Studios in New York City in 1993. Photograph: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images

The final days of Kurt Cobain, the rock star whose anguish and anti-establishment stance spoke to millions of generation X teenagers, are to be dramatised by the Royal Opera House (ROH).

Cobain, who killed himself at his Seattle home in April 1994 at the age of 27, is the subject of Last Days, an opera adapted from Gus Van Sant’s 2005 film of the same name.

The acclaimed movie, which centred on a young musician named Blake, was loosely based on Cobain’s last days and hours. It depicted the fictional star’s descent into pain, depression, isolation and drug-taking before he killed himself.

Cobain’s devoted fans were distraught at his death, mystifying older opinion-formers who had failed to register his appeal and influence.

More than 30m copies of Nevermind, the 1991 album written by Cobain for Nirvana, in which he was guitarist, singer and songwriter, have been sold worldwide.

Conspiracy theories over Cobain’s death were widespread despite earlier suicide attempts, a history of drug use and a rambling suicide note. Excerpts were read by his wife, the punk singer Courtney Love, at a vigil in Seattle after his body was found, attended by thousands of fans.

The opera has been composed by Oliver Leith, the ROH’s 31-year-old composer-in-residence, with the libretto by Matt Copson. Directed by Copson and Anna Morrissey, it is due to be staged in October in the ROH’s Linbury Theatre.

The opera “plunges into the torment that created a modern myth”, the ROH said. Blake, its central character, has recently returned home after a spell in rehab. “But he is haunted by objects, visitors and memories distracting him from his true purpose – self-destruction”.

Leith, a “massive” Nirvana fan, said opera was a fitting vehicle for the subject of Last Days. Cobain was “an archetypal story – operas deal well in those”.

Van Sant had not sensationalised his death, he added. “We know it is coming. It is used as a lens through which we see everyday somnambulistic life heightened. For example, telling a delivery person to ‘come back another day’ is loaded with tragedy. I think opera also raises the stakes of the quotidian.”

Leith was four when Cobain died, “but the music soundtracked my teens. It’s some of the first music I learned to play on the guitar.

“I owe a lot of how I now make music to the sound of grunge from that time – I had never really thought about where my experimental mess and repetitions had come from.”

He said he hoped the opera would appeal to a wide range of people, not just Nirvana fans. It was about the “inevitable death of a celebrity. It could be any star now”.

Last Days was announced as part of the ROH’s 2022-2023 season, which includes 20 new opera and ballet productions, nine world premieres and three UK premieres.

As well as classic operas by composers such as Puccini, Mozart and Verdi, the ROH is staging the UK premiere of Least Like the Other – a portrait of Rosemary Kennedy, the older sister of President John F Kennedy who was lobotomised at the age of 23.

Another opera, History of the Present, marks the 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement by telling the story of ordinary lives still suffering collective trauma from the Troubles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... pera-house

You can't get through a tragic opera without someone dying, so I guess in that way Kurt Cobain: The Opera makes sense.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Stigma failed Kurt Cobain nearly 30 years ago and continues to fail people in addiction now | Opinion

Kurt Cobain was the world’s biggest rock star. His path through addiction treatment was devastatingly common.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquir ... utType=amp
The Philadelphia Inquirer

by Abraham Gutman
Updated April 5, 2022

... Like so many people with an opioid use disorder, detox and abstinence were just not the right path for [Cobain].

... Buprenorphine is now considered the gold standard of treatment for opioid use disorder. But in 1992, the treatment was illegal.

It’s not clear from Cobain’s biographies exactly how consistent his buprenorphine treatment was. In the summer of 1993, the physician who prescribed him the medication died. So Cobain was on his own. And his addiction escalated.

Ten days before Cobain died, his wife and nine of his friends staged an intervention in his Seattle house. A few days later, Cobain entered abstinence-based treatment for the final time. He lasted two days.

What is so painful about Cobain’s journey is that it is so common. According to the American Psychological Association, upwards of 90% of people relapse following abstinence-based detoxification. A study comparing treatment options for opioid use disorder found that those who entered rehab or detox services were more likely to return within three months than those who received a medication like buprenorphine.
We're in that weird anniversary stretch where Kurt Cobain is dead but hasn't been discovered. You might find this article interesting just on the basis of the opioid discussion. It pains me to think that there was a way that Cobain -- seemingly one of the most doomed rock musicians ever -- could have potentially gotten his addiction worked out, which I think would have probably stabilized the rest of his everyday life.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Record Store Day

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

This kind of event rewards obsessives, so I can't necessarily winnow down the "best" releases. In the past, I've gotten a vinyl pressing of Elvis's "My Happiness," an '80s Prince single, and Joni Mitchell recordings circa 1963. (I still need a new record player ... These releases aren't cheap, by the way.) Sometimes I've wanted an alternate takes album release, but it hasn't happened yet. Not sure if I'll make it down to a record store, but I have some interest in the David Bowie Outside outtakes and Toy EP.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Vangelis, Oscar-Winning Composer, Dies at 79

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork. ... at-79/amp/

Vangelis had some 46 albums to his name, including Chariots of Fire, Blade Runner, and 1492: Conquest of Paradise.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Bob's 81

2021 Stereogum article about musicians' favorite Dylan songs:
https://www.stereogum.com/2147461/favor ... -playlist/
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Quite a few deaths recently: Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode, from "natural causes," says Wikipedia; Alan White of Yes, who played on over 40 studio and live Yes albums (is that even possible?); Ray Liotta, for that matter; 19 kids & 2 teachers were shot dead in Uvalde, Texas (completely disgusting, and humiliating compared to other countries' gun control progress ... I'm not sure when progress will happen, but I feel like much of American society has become completely disgusted by this too, with all the lame excuses having worn out; for that matter, there is always the rise of a newer, younger elecorate who doesn't care for the status quo ... As the old Leonard Cohen joke goes, "Democracy is coming... to the U.S.A.")
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Ronnie Hawkins, musician and mentor of The Band, dead at 87

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
(CNN)Musician Ronnie Hawkins has died according to a post on The Band's verified Facebook page.

Hawkins, 87, died Sunday according to a post by Robbie Robertson, a member of The Band.

"The story of The Band began with Ronnie Hawkins. He was our mentor. He taught us the rules of the road," the post read.

According to The Band's website, Hawkins was born in Arkansas, but called Canada his home. He was a member of the group Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks which rose to fame in the early 1960's.

"Hawkins himself was practically Toronto's answer to Elvis Presley," The Band said on their website.

Roberston said on Facebook, "Ronnie was the godfather. The one who made this all happen. He had us rehearsing constantly into the wee hours. We balked about it, but we got better and better. Our goal whether we knew it or not."

"After the Hawks left Ron and went out on our own, we joined up with Bob Dylan. Next the Hawks became The Band and the rest is history, as they say," Robertson summarized. "All starting out with Ronnie Hawkins."

Robertson said "He was not only a great artist, a tremendous performer and bandleader, but had a style of humor unequaled. Fall down funny and completely unique. Yep, God only made one of those. And he will live in our hearts forever."

Robertson did not share a cause of death.
Here's an old article with Hawkins talking about himself and The Band:
Ronnie Hawkins Talks About "The Boys" -- Then and Now
https://theband.hiof.no/articles/Ronnie ... Bite5.html
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

‘Stranger Things’ Pushes Kate Bush’s 1985 Single ‘Running Up That Hill’ To No. 1 On iTunes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.c ... 35334/amp/
Netflix’s Stranger Things is helping revive a blast from the past on the heels of the show’s Season 4 premiere on Friday. Kate Bush’s 1985 single “Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)” is currently No. 1 on the iTunes chart.

The song first appears in the premiere episode and plays a significant role in Max’s (Sadie Sink) story.

“Running Up That Hill” was the first single off Bush’s album Hounds of Love that would go on and become her biggest hit of the era. The track was originally titled “A Deal With God” but was changed by her label for fear that it would be blacklisted in religious countries like Italy, France, and Australia.

This isn’t the first time Stranger Things helped revive a song, following its use of the theme song to the hit fantasy film The NeverEnding Story by Limahl last season. YouTube revealed at the time that searches for the music video spiked 800 percent shortly after the new episodes were released.

The first four seasons of Stranger Things are currently available to stream via Netflix.
I only watched the first season of Stranger Things, but God bless 'em for giving Kate her first big U.S. hit in a way.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”