Movin' On Up

Re: AMF's Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018): Results Thread

Post by Dexter »

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
90. Flobots, "Handlebars" (2008)
AM Rank: Unranked
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: Unranked
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 37
Songfact: Bandmember Jamie Laurie said: "The lyrics came to me as I was riding a bike home from work with my hands in the air - I had just learned how to do it - and I felt triumphant, but at the same time, I knew there were people at that moment who were being bombed by our own country. And I thought that was incredibly powerful. We have these little moments of creativity, these bursts of innovation, and every time that happens, that innovation is used to oppress and destroy people. So it struck me as beautiful and tragic at the same time."

I just wanna hear you screaming, "¡Ay, Bendito!"
89. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee feat. Justin Bieber, "Despacito (Remix)" (2017)
AM Rank: 4540
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1
Songfact: Fonsi recalled: "I was out in Italy doing promo and it was 3 o'clock in the morning, trying to get some sleep. I get a call from somebody on my label like, 'Hey, we need to talk to you. We just got a call from Bieber's camp, and he heard the song while he was on tour in Colombia. He saw how people reacted, he loved the song, he wants to do the remix.' I was like, 'What? It's 3 o'clock in the morning, man. I'm trying to get some sleep. Stop messing around.'"

I'm like a bird I'll only fly away
88. Nelly Furtado, "I'm Like a Bird" (2000)
AM Rank: 5167
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 9 (2001)
Songfact: When asked what her favorite bird is, Furtado replied crows, because: "They like shiny things and I'm the same when I'm at the shopping mall. I'm attracted to things that glitter and shine"

Hey there, Georgy girl why do all the boys just pass you by?
87. The Seekers, "Georgy Girl" (1966)
AM Rank: Bubbling Under
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2 (1967)
Songfact: The lyrics of the song in the 1966 movie of the same name (over both the opening and closing) differ from the version that was releaased as single.

I don't think that I'll see her again but we shared a moment that will last till the end
86. James Blunt, "You're Beautiful" (2005)
AM Rank: 8914
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (2006)
Songfact: The first line ("My life is brilliant") was sung twice because Blunt mistimed it but was left in the final album recording. As to the song, it was about seeing Blunt's ex-girlfriend with a new man he didn't know about on a train in the London underground, he said: "It's about this guy who's high as a kite stalking someone else's girlfriend - and should be locked up and put in prison. But people think, 'Ah, he's a sweet romantic.' If you think that's what romance is, then I think you're pretty weird."

A ha ye heyee, want to be my lover?
85. La Bouche, "Be My Lover" (1995)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 6 (1996)
Songfact: La Bouche ("Bouche" is French for "Mouth"), is the creation of the German producer Frank Farian, the same guy who brought us Boney M and Milli Vanilli.

There's nowhere unless you're there, all the time, all the way
84. Bryan Adams, "(Everything I Do) I Do It for You" (1991)
AM Rank: 4050
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1337
Songfact: Adams used a line in the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, "I do it for you..." as the basis for the song composed by Michael Kamen, whose initial version was to be as if it were Maid Marian singing to Robin Hood. However, it was deemed so bland that Kate Bush, Annie Lennox and Lisa Stansfield all turned it down.

The stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach
83. Terry Jacks, "Seasons in the Sun" (1973)
AM Rank: 1860
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1974)
Songfact: Before releasing this song (orginally by Jacques Brel as "Le moribund"), Terry Jacks played the Beach Boys his arrangement of the song and suggested they record it, since he thought it would sound great with their harmonies and with Carl Wilson singing lead.

In a 69, my Humpty Nose will tickle your rear
82. Digital Underground, "The Humpty Dance" (1989)
AM Rank: 1469
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 11 (1990)
Songfact: The Humpty Hump character (as shown in the music video) was created by Digital Underground's leader, Shock G. Humpty Hump's "real" name, depending on who you ask, is Eddie Humprey, Earl Humphries, or Edward Ellington Humphries III. The backstory is that Hump sustained severe burns in a kitchen accident, causing him to wear a large fake nose.

Together we're one, separated we're two
81. Milli Vanilli, "Girl You Know It's True" (1988)
AM Rank: 6565
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2 (1989)
Songfact: Initally recorded by The Numarx in 1987. It was popular in German dance clubs, which is probably where Vanilli mastermind Frank Farian heard the song. He found 2 singers and 1 rapper who had served on the American Army base in Germany to actually perform on the track. The rapper was the one who first spilled the beans about Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan (who showed up at Farian's office looking for work at the same time as the Americans) not being the voices on the record.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:26 am, edited 11 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Going through this just confirms why I wasn't able to participate. I like quite a few songs that have shown up, but I've never felt particularly guilty for doing so.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Dexter wrote:
90. Flobots, "Handlebars" (2007)[/br]
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 37
Songfact: Bandmember Jamie Laurie said: "The lyrics came to me as I was riding a bike home from work with my hands in the air - I had just learned how to do it - and I felt triumphant, but at the same time, I knew there were people at that moment who were being bombed by our own country. And I thought that was incredibly powerful. We have these little moments of creativity, these bursts of innovation, and every time that happens, that innovation is used to oppress and destroy people. So it struck me as beautiful and tragic at the same time."
These songfacts are so pretentious as to be hilarious.

Also, when I got to the Nelly Furtado gif RIP Groove by Double 99 was just coming out. The half minute intro to that song matches oddly well with the gif and the results are very funny.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I know what a prince and lover ought to be
80. Spin Doctors, "Two Princes" (1991)
AM Rank: 3127
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 7 (1993)
Songfact: The singer was working as a busboy (inspiration for "poor prince") when he reconnected with a girl he liked from high school who wanted to meet up with him that night. When his shift ended, he ran into the bass player's brother and told him about it. "Just go ahead with that. Just go ahead now," was the guy's advice, which the song's refrain was based on.

She was always young at heart, kinda dumb and kinda smart
79. Bobby Goldsboro, "Honey" (1968)
Songfact: Goldsboro said: "I think 'Honey' is a very emotional song, but it's not like what I call a sick song, a death song. Actually what it is, very simply, is just a guy remembering little things that happened while his wife was alive and to me that's not sick at all."

Breathe in, now breathe out, hands up, now hands down
78. Limp Bizkit, "Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)" (2000)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 65
Songfact: The day before 9/11, the band received a letter from the World Trade Center, thanking them for featuring the towers in the music video.

I try to stay awake and remember my name but everybody's changing and I don't feel the same
77. Keane, "Everybody's Changing" (2003)
AM Rank: 5734
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2673
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: Did not chart (#33 in the Adult Top 40 in 2005)
Songfact: Used in UK's Conservative Party's 2010 election manifesto despite never asking the band's permission, who'd never permit it in the first place. There's nothing artists can do about UK political parties playing their records at these events, as such public performance of recorded music is covered by a blanket license.

On behalf of every man, looking out for every girl, you are the God and weight of her world
76. John Mayer, "Daughters" (2003)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 19 (2005)
Songfact: Mayer explained that he was very frustrated with beautiful women having "daddy issues": "I loved a girl a lot, but she couldn't trust men. And if you trace it back, it was the first man in her life she couldn't trust... this song... is the result of tracing it backwards to find out how I could possibly love this person. And the answer is: you can't. Because someone else didn't before you."

A guy like you should wear a warning, it's dangerous, I'm falling
75. Britney Spears, "Toxic" (2003)
AM Rank: 307
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 370
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 9 (2004)
Songfact: Cathy Dennis (of "Too Many Walls" fame) wrote this with Spears in mind. She also wrote Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head." Originally offered to her, Minogue rejected "Toxic."

Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse, assail him, impale him with monster-truck force
74. Cake, "The Distance" (1996)
AM Rank: 2858
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: Ineligible in 1996 (No commercial single) but peaked at #35 in the Hot 100 Airplay
Songfact: Written by the band's guitarist, he explained "I wrote it about a relationship of mine. It's about a guy who races and races, even after the race is over. He's basically clueless. I used the race car metaphor so it wouldn't be so sentimental ... it seemed apt."

I'll be lonely without you and I'll need your love to see me through
73. Styx, "Babe" (1979)
AM Rank: 7202
Songfact: Singer Dennis DeYoung wrote this as a birthday present for his wife Suzanne. He didn't envision it as a Styx song - just something personal for Suzanne - but the record company insisted it be on the band's album.

A licky boom boom down
72. Snow feat. MC Shan, "Informer" (1992)
AM Rank: 6175
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1993)
Songfact: For a time, MTV put subtitles (supposedly, the first time ever) at the bottom of the video so that people knew Snow wasn’t just mumbling some words — he was telling the story of how he got incarcerated (Snow was in jail for another incident when the song blew up on the radio). What made this lite-reggae song with a “stop snitching” message unusual at that time was that it was performed in Jamaican patois by a white Canadian rapper.

I swear I left her by the river, I swear I left her safe and sound
71. Richard Marx, "Hazard" (1991)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 9 (1992)
Songfact: How did Richard Marx choose Hazard, Nebraska for the setting of this song? he explained: "The song was finished except for the Nebraska line...They sang so well to me that I was like, Okay, I'm sold on Nebraska. This is way before the Internet, so what I did was I called the Nebraska Chamber of Commerce and got some very nice woman on the phone...I said, 'Can you fax me a list of every town and city and municipality in the state of Nebraska.'...I think there were 16, 17 pages worth of tons of names on each page. And I threw them up in the air and picked a random sheet and literally put my finger on the page, and it was Hazard."
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:43 am, edited 8 times in total.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Ouch Rollin’! I still haven’t forgiven the Undertaker for temporarily using that as his theme song especially over is classic original theme. He was like the Johnny Cash of Pro-Wrestling up until that moment. Than you realized thanks to Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit,that he really is human after all :( Thanks for killing the Attitude Era Mr. Durst.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Dexter wrote:
panam wrote:Oh, we need a Spotify playlist of this!!
Error: The 146th song's real title is "Love is a rollercoaster", not "Like a rollercoaster".
Nice criteria, Drexler. Keep on going!
It's actually "Life Is a Rollercoaster" (Haven't heard this song before this poll)
Thanks for pointing out the error, panam.
I'll put out a Spotify playlist at the end of the rollout. Thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah! :P
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The Distance was a single, it was all over MTV.

Now every time I hear Rollin, thanks to Mad TV, in my head I hear "Posin Posin Posin Posin!"
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Jirin wrote:The Distance was a single, it was all over MTV.
I meant to write commercial single. Made the necessary correction. Thanks!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Waited on a line of greens and blues, just to be the next to be with you
70. Mr. Big, "To Be with You" (1991)
AM Rank: 9005
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1992)
Songfact: When the co-songwriter heard it's demo, he thought of Lennon's "Give Peace A Chance," which uses a spare, improvised percussion and group chorus. When they did something similar it gave the song a spare sound (bass drum, acoustic guitar & hand claps)that draws out the story of unrequited love. The singer explained: "I just loved this woman, but she just wanted to be my friend. She'd have tons of boyfriends, and maybe she misconstrued promiscuity for love. But I wanted to be the knight in shining armor."

Eh, sexy lady
69. Psy, "Gangnam Style" (2012)
AM Rank: 9046
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2
Songfact: The 2nd K-Pop song to enter the Hot 100 (Wonder Girls' "Nobody" peaked at #76 in 2009), the title refers to the luxurious lifestyle associated with the affluent and trendy Gangnam section of of Seoul. Psy compares the location to a sexy lady who knows when to be refined and when to get wild. It's horse dancing music video forced YouTube to upgrade after its hit counter broke (2,147,483,647 was the maximum positive value for a 32-bit signed binary integer in computing).

We are the world, we are the children
68. USA for Africa, "We Are the World" (1985)
AM Rank: 1971
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1130
Songfact: This benefit single for famine victims in Africa was recorded at A&M Studios in L.A. on Jan. 28, 1985, the night of the American Music Awards. Since the artists were all in town for the awards, it was much easier to get them together to record the single. Prince was asked to join the project, be he declined on the grounds that he does not record with other acts. Instead, he donated an exclusive track to the follow-up benefit album.

Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam, do the jitterbug out in Muskrat Land
67. Captain & Tennille, "Muskrat Love" (1976)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 4
Songfact: This song really is about 2 muskrats making love. It's not to be taken seriously, and even contains synthesized sound effects to simulate the muskrat copulation. This sound was played at the end of the song and included in the end groove of the 45 single, so when the record ended, it played the muskrats on a loop until the record player was attended.

Come and rock me Amadeus
66. Falco, "Rock Me Amadeus" (1985)
AM Rank: 6258
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1986)
Songfact: The basic concept is the suggestion that Mozart was the rock'n'roll rebel of his day. Some of the lyrics (as translated) reflect this: "He was the first punk ever to set foot on this earth/He was a genius from the day of his birth/He could play the piano like a ring and a bell/And everybody screamed: Come on, rock me Amadeus."

Roses are red, some diamonds are blue,chivalry is dead but you're still kinda cute
65. Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland, "Promiscuous" (2006)
AM Rank: 3210
Songfact: At the time, Furtado was romantically linked to fellow Canadian NBA player Steve Nash. Furtado mentions Nash in the line, "Is that the truth or are you talkin' trash, is your game MVP like Steve Nash?" The rap verses was a departure for Furtado, who was known for her singing on hits like "I'm Like a Bird."

And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
64. Survivor, "Eye of the Tiger" (1982)
AM Rank: 2684
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1278
Songfact: Sylvester Stallone loved this song, which was the theme to Rocky III. When he heard the demo, he told the group it's exactly what he was looking for, but requested a mix with louder drums and asked if they could write a new 3rd verse instead of repeating the 1st as they had done. The group did not mind, doing as what Stallone suggested, as they think he has "a good ear for a hook."

You come to look for a king, anybody could be that guy
63. ABBA, "Dancing Queen" (1976)
AM Rank: 103
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 96
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1977)
Songfact: Conceived as a dance song with the working title "Boogaloo." ABBA drew inspiration from the 1974 George McCrae disco hit "Rock Your Baby," and from the drumming on the 1972 album Gumbo by Dr. John. Regarding the "Night is young and the music's high" line, many interpret this as music makes you feel high. For ABBA, however, it simply means that the music is loud.

There is a flower in your hair, I'm a flower in your hair
62. Maroon 5, "Sunday Morning" (2002)
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2256
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 31 (2005)
Songfact: The music video features the band performing interspersed with scenes of people singing it at a karaoke bar. Singer Adam Levine says the idea struck when they were in Japan and noticed a few of their songs on the karaoke list at a Japanese bar.

Take me by the tongue and I'll know you
61. Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera, "Moves Like Jagger" (2011)
Songfact: So what does Jagger, himself think about the song? He said: "I could say I wish I had written it, but wouldn't that be weird? It's fun, very young children like it, which is always cool and funny. But what am I going to say? I'm not going to be mean about it, am I? It's very catchy pop, isn't it? It's funny. Only thing is, it puts a bit of pressure on me when I go out dancing!"
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dancing Queen is probably so low cuz so many people (myself included) consider it genuinely great.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Isn’t We Are The World the exact opposite of a guilty pleasure? Something we feel guilty about saying we don’t like. ;)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

StevieFan13 wrote:Dancing Queen is probably so low cuz so many people (myself included) consider it genuinely great.
I'm proud of liking Agnetha, Björn, Benny & Anni-Frid.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

StevieFan13 wrote:Dancing Queen is probably so low cuz so many people (myself included) consider it genuinely great.
Yeah, that song is highly acclaimed so doesn't really belong on this list. I assume many on here consider it a guilty pleasure because we're all men. Would any male really admit to a male friend that they love Dancing Queen?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

You should feel guilty for liking "We Are the World". But at least I prefer it to the corn-fest of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Eh, who am I, I'm just a party-pooper.

I didn't know others loved "Sunday Morning". One of the best pop fusion songs ever written. The group would never record as good of a song again.

Great presentation, Dexter! GIFs are perfect for this kind of list.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Jackson wrote:
Yeah, that song is highly acclaimed so doesn't really belong on this list. I assume many on here consider it a guilty pleasure because we're all men. Would any male really admit to a male friend that they love Dancing Queen?
I think I'd be willing to defend ABBA. What I don't get is why anyone would listen to the Mamma Mia! soundtrack when ABBA's Gold: Greatest Hits is right there.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

prosecutorgodot wrote:You should feel guilty for liking "We Are the World". But at least I prefer it to the corn-fest of "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Eh, who am I, I'm just a party-pooper.

I didn't know others loved "Sunday Morning". One of the best pop fusion songs ever written. The group would never record as good of a song again.

Great presentation, Dexter! GIFs are perfect for this kind of list.
Thanks prosecutorgodot! Right! the gifs are specially perfect when the song is famous for its music video or for starting a dance craze.
Musically, I feel ambivalent about "We Are the World", I know it was recorded for a good cause and it has Hall of Famers singing on it but I'd probably switch stations more than half the time if I hear it on the radio. As to Maroon 5, "Sunday Morning" and "Moves Like Jagger" (if you edit out Christina's part) are two of their better songs that I feel guilty of liking, "Harder to Breathe" meanwhile I have no shame in liking.
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Jackson wrote:
I think I'd be willing to defend ABBA. What I don't get is why anyone would listen to the Mamma Mia! soundtrack when ABBA's Gold: Greatest Hits is right there.
I voted for "Dancing Queen", as well as "Waterloo". No doubt they are perfect slices of pop from heaven but my feeling of guilt for them is situational. I'm happy to play them on my head/earphone but you can forget it if you want me to seriously blaring it out to a girl I'm trying to impress or buddies who share my love for classic and alternative rock (they abhor anything resembling disco), unless they knew beforehand that the songs are safely located in a 'guilty pleasure' playlist or a similarly named playlist. Another example would be imagining the recent meetup between Henrik & Moonbeam where Henrik narrated "...I will also remember when we sang louder than well in the little booth in the ABBA museum. There was only a curtain to this booth. When we got out a group of girls giggled and one of them rather sarcastically said ”You did well...!” Personally, I'd also enter the little booth with any of you ABBA fans, but doing it on my own would be asking too much.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

They want my treasure, so they get their pleasures from my photo
60. Fergie, "Fergalicious" (2006)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2 (2007)
Songfact: Fergie explained: "It's a take on Afro-Rican's "Give It All You Got" and J. J. Fad's "Supersonic," both of which were huge party/dance songs when I was growing up." Fergie has the habit to add to the lexicon of the urban dictionary (see "Glamorous"). In this song, she applies the word "Fergalicious" to her body, which makes boys go crazy (see also "My Humps").

Her lips are warm where yours are cold, release me, darling, let me go
59. Engelbert Humperdinck, "Release Me (and Let Me Love Again)" (1967)
Songfact: The 1st single recorded under the name Engelbert Humperdinck (he previously recorded as Gerry Dorsey), long before it became trendy for Pop stars to get their own perfumes, Humperdinck attached his name to a fragrance for women called "Release Me," which was sold through the Home Shopping Channel in 1994.

Give me a sign, hit me baby one more time
58. Britney Spears, "…Baby One More Time" (1998)
AM Rank: 637
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1169
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1999)
Songfact: MTV played the iconic and controversial music video, but it was the internet that gave Spears the most traction, as teenagers logged into their AOL accounts and typed some variation of "Britney Spears" into Alta Vista. Many interpreted "hit me" in a more literal sense, but Swedish songwriter Max Martin explained that he thought it was American slang for "call me."

Take on me, take me on, I'll be gone in a day or twooo...
57. a-ha, "Take On Me" (1985)
AM Rank: 562
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 245
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1985)
Songfact: It initially flopped in the U.K. In the U.S., Warner Bros. promoted it through its groundbreaking music video with experimental animation, getting movie theaters to show it before films. When MTV picked it up, it climbed the charts, hitting #1 on October 19. A week later, it also reached its U.K. chart peak, coming in at #2 behind "The Power Of Love" by Jennifer Rush.

Hands, touching hands, reaching out, touching me, touching you
56. Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)" (1969)
AM Rank: 2231
Songfact: Diamond wrote this song about his 2nd wife, Marcia Murphey. He needed a three-syllable name to fit the melody, however, so "Sweet Marcia" didn't work. The name Caroline is one he had written down, and it fit the song perfectly, so that's what he used.

Tired of living like a blind man, I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling
55. Nickelback, "How You Remind Me" (2001)
AM Rank: 6876
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1839
Songfact: Singer Chad Kroeger's fiancée, Avril Lavigne, covered the song (the 2nd Hot 100 #1 by a Canadian group after The Guess who's "American Woman") in 2012 for One Piece Film Z, the 11th Japanese anime feature film based on the shonen manga series One Piece. The couple married the next year.

You had a bad day/The camera don't lie, you're coming back down and you really don't mind
54. Daniel Powter, "Bad Day" (2005)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (2006)
Songfact: In the U.S., this became a hit in 2006 when the TV show American Idol started using it as a theme for the "goodbye video" for the departing contestants. It was a hit in Europe the year before after Coca-Cola used it in an ad campaign.

Sky rockets in flight, afternoon delight
53. Starland Vocal Band, "Afternoon Delight" (1976)
AM Rank: 7597
Songfact: The band needed to add something to the "skyrockets in flight" to simulate fireworks. The Pedal steel player at the session came up with the idea of turning on every pedal and letting it rip. Once the band heard it, they knew it was right for the song. In the movie Anchorman, the actors sang, "pe-ewww" in this section, making it hard for anyone to hear the song (which is clearly about daytime sex and not some late-afternoon appetizer menu as officially explained by the band) without making their own skyrocket sounds.

You and I will never be 'cause you took your love away from me
52. 4 P.M., "Sukiyaki" (1994)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 8
Songfact: R&B group 4 P.M. (For Positive Music) covered this Kyu Sakamoto Japanese original ("Ue o Muite Aruko", renamed to something more familiar to Western audiences) with the same English lyrics that A Taste of Honey used in their 1981 version.

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you
51. Rick Astley, "Never Gonna Give You Up" (1987)
AM Rank: 4220
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1998)
Songfact: Astley worked in a studio for 2 years, operating tape machines, singing on other recordings, and making tea (to overcome his shyness), when producer Waterman was inspired to write him this after he said, "You're never gonna give her up." after Waterman made a 3-hour phone call to a woman he was seeing. As to Rickrolling, the trend started in 2007, when various websites, including an online anti-Scientology group and a Radiohead site, posted links that resembled normal clickthroughs offering more of a news story, but instead took users to the music video.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:49 am, edited 7 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

There were nights when the wind was so cold, that my body froze in bed if I just listened to it
50. Celine Dion, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" (1996)
Songfact: Written by Jim Steinman, who also wrote for Meat Loaf and Bonnie Tyler. It was inspired by the novel Wuthering Heights. Pandora's Box, an all-girl group assembled by Steinman, originally recorded this song in 1989. Meat Loaf wanted to record this but Steinman saw it as a "woman's song" and got a court ruling preventing Meat Loaf from recording it before Dion. In 2006, Meat Loaf finally released his version.

Love was when I loved you
49. Celine Dion, "My Heart Will Go On (Love Theme from Titanic)" (1997)
AM Rank: 3184
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1041
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1998)
Songfact: Dion was the first choice to sing this. Her husband/manager Rene Angélil suggested she record a demo, Dion recalled :"I wanted to choke my husband, because I didn't want to do it!" When she recorded the demo, composer James Horner told her about the movie and the significance of the song, but Dion just wanted to get it over with ("My girly days are starting to happen"). She nailed the demo in one take, which ended up being the version used in the film.

I never made promises lightly and there have been some that I've broken but I swear in the days still left we'll walk in fields of gold
48. Sting, "Fields of Gold" (1993)
AM Rank: 3315
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 974
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 23
Songfact: Sting explained: "In England, our house is surrounded by barley fields, and in the summer it's fascinating to watch the wind moving over the shimmering surface, like waves on an ocean of gold. There's something inherently sexy about the sight." Audiences have taken to swaying like the barley fields in the breeze when Sting performs this, which annoys him to no end: "It's disconcerting. But you can't stop them, can you? Oi! Stop that f**king sh*te!"

Love me for a reason, let the reason be love
47. The Osmonds, "Love Me for a Reason" (1974)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 10
Songfact: Following the breakout success of the Jackson 5 in 1970, it was inevitable that another quintet of brothers would follow them to teen idol superstardom. The Osmonds gained their highest profile in the early 70s with "Love Me for a Reason" (a Johnny Bristol original) being their last top 10 Hot 100 single. Today, the song shares recognition with the 1994 cover by boyband Boyzone, which hit U.K. #2.

They didn't have Ice Cube so he bought Vanilla Ice
46. The Offspring, "Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)" (1998)
AM Rank: 2473
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 53 (1999)
Songfact: The song (which calls out young wannabe gangstas trying to act cool) begins with a sample of the fake German nonsense phrase "Gunter glieben glauten globen" from Def Leppard's "Rock Of Ages." It was inserted as a replacement for the traditional "1, 2, 3, 4" that often starts recordings.

I should have changed that f**king lock, I would have made you leave your key
45. Cake, "I Will Survive" (1996)
AM Rank: 8966
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: Did not chart (#28 in the Modern Rock Charts)
Songfact: Cake covered the disco anthem, first sung by Gloria Gaynor, rock-style. In addition to many subtle changes, lead singer John McCrea altered the lyrics - leading Gaynor to describe the cover as her least favorite version of the song, due to the presence of profanity.

Domo arigato, Misuta Robotto
44. Styx, "Mr. Roboto" (1983)
AM Rank: 9568
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 3
Songfact: While the song and its album were very successful, the concept behind them tore the band apart - a rock opera set in a future where playing rock music has been outlawed due to the efforts of a charismatic evangelist. This future society is served by robots, called Robotos, who perform many jobs. Not everyone was on board with the concept, especially guitarist Tommy Shaw, who was not thrilled with the musical direction the band was headed, or his role at Styx's tour concerts where he had to do some acting. He left the band when the tour was over and didn't return until 1996.

Feelings, for all my life I'll feel it
43. Morris Albert, "Feelings" (1974)
AM Rank: 9230
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 6
Songfact: In 1987, Albert was found guilty of plagiarism, with a jury finding that this song borrowed heavily from a French song from 1956 called "Pour Toi" ("For You") by Loulou Gasté. As a result of the lawsuit, Gasté's name was added to the composer credit, which previously went solely to Albert.

You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
42. Aqua, "Barbie Girl" (1997)
AM Rank: 7577
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 7
Songfact: Mattel sued the band, saying they violated the Barbie trademark and turned her into a sex object. Aqua claimed that Mattel injected their own meanings into the lyrics. A judge ruled the song was protected as free speech under the 1st amendment, and also threw out a defamation lawsuit Aqua's record company filed against Mattel. The judge said in the ruling that "The parties are advised to chill."

Whatever it takes or how my heart breaks, I will be right here waiting for you
41. Richard Marx, "Right Here Waiting" (1989)
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1993
Songfact: Marx originally pitched the song (inspired by his wife who was working in South Africa) to Barbra Streisand. But she had a few issues with his lyrics. Marx said: "She called and said, 'I love this music, this melody is gorgeous, but if I'm going to record it, I'm going to need you to rewrite the lyrics because I'm not going to be right here waiting for anybody,'"
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

“The parties are advised to chill” is something I ought to tell my friends when they have spats.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Some good ballads here.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

How is Take on Me a guilty pleasure?? I've never heard of any backlash to the song and it's at 562 all-time on AM.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Jackson wrote:How is Take on Me a guilty pleasure?? I've never heard of any backlash to the song and it's at 562 all-time on AM.
Nothing to be feel guilty about here. Love this song. Sing it from the rooftops!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Neil wrote:
Jackson wrote:How is Take on Me a guilty pleasure?? I've never heard of any backlash to the song and it's at 562 all-time on AM.
Nothing to be feel guilty about here. Love this song. Sing it from the rooftops!
I'm thirding this. Not *all* 80s synthpop is guilty pleasures!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

So, are the songs going to be better (greater) or worse (guiltier) when we get closer to the top?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

People, don't feel offended because your favorite songs are on this list, they're not dishonorable mentions, they're all pleasures!!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

“Take on Me” is amazing.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

A simple google search of "a-ha take on me guilty pleasure" will reveal that there are people out there that classify the song as a guilty pleasure. I think there will be more controversial entries when we get into the Top 40.
Henrik wrote:So, are the songs going to be better (greater) or worse (guiltier) when we get closer to the top?
AM Songs Breakdown:
In the AM Top 10,000 Songs of All Time: 28
In the AM Top 5,000 Songs of All Time: 20
In the AM Top 1,000 Songs of All Time: 2
Bubbling Under Songs: 2
Unacclaimed Songs: 10

Top 40 Guilty Pleasure Songs Decade Breakdown:
10s = 1
00s = 7
90s = 15
80s = 10
70s = 6
60s = 1

I'll resume the countdown tomorrow.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

The sun is gone, the nights are long and I am left while the tears fall
40. The All-American Rejects, "Swing, Swing" (2002)
AM Rank: 9901
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 60 (2003)
AM Rank: 9901
Songfact: The guitarist reminisced "...we got to go on this incredible ride because of that song... record labels still flew bands out to LA and New York and they still signed, they weren't dropping them left and right. They took us out to these lavish dinners, threw this cash at us - we'd go to strip clubs, it was retarded. You don't get to do that anymore."

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?/Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
39. Belinda Carlisle, "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" (1987)
AM Rank: 5197
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2104
AM Rank: 5197
Songfact: The music video was directed by actress Diane Keaton. It created a new, more glamorous image for Carlisle, with make-up and fancy clothes, which was quite a departure from her early days as the lead singer of The Go-Go's - which started off as a punk band and sometimes wore garbage bags onstage.

Any damsel that's in distress be out of that dress when she meet Jim West
38. Will Smith feat. Dru Hill & Kool Moe Dee, "Wild Wild West" (1999)
AM Rank: --
Songfact: Based on the 1987 rap song by Kool Moe Dee called "Wild Wild West," where he equated his New York lifestyle to the old west (he had a notorious feud with LL Cool J). He was brought in to rap on the chorus of this. The songs also samples Stevie Wonder's 1976 song "I Wish." Stevie Wonder appears in the music video.

Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder
37. Men at Work, "Down Under" (1981)
AM Rank: 2018
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 936
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1983)
AM Rank: 2018
Songfact: Often misinterpreted as a patriotic anthem (it was the unofficial national anthem when Australia won the America's Cup in 1983, an event the U.S. had never lost). The singer said it's kinda like "Born in the U.S.A.": "The chorus is really about the selling of Australia in many ways, the overdevelopment of the country. It was a song about the loss of spirit in that country. It's really about the plundering of the country by greedy people. It is ultimately about celebrating the country, but not in a nationalistic way and not in a flag-waving sense. It's really more than that."

My anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns, hon
36. Sir Mix-a-Lot, "Baby Got Back" (1992)
AM Rank: 4518
AM Rank: 4518
Songfact: Since this was released in 1992, take Sir Mix-A-Lot's claim in 2014 that Jennifer Lopez was the inspiration for the song, particularly during her time on In Living Color as one of the show's Fly Girl dancers, with a grain of salt.

Say you'll love, love me forever, never stop, never whatever, near and far and always and everywhere and everything
35. Donna Lewis, " I Love You Always Forever" (1996)
Songfact: It peaked at #2 on the Hot 100, staying there for 9 weeks, held off the top by "Macarena." The song was inspired by the H. E. Bates novel Love for Lydia. Lewis explained: "The author wrote it in such a descriptive and beautiful way, set in English countryside, that I wanted to try and create this atmosphere in the song. When I wrote its melody I wanted to write something simple, remembering falling in love for the first time in the summer, that magical wonderful feeling."

There's no time to cry, happy, happy
34. R.E.M. feat. Kate Pierson, "Shiny Happy People" (1991)
AM Rank: 2571
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2293
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 10
AM Rank: 2571
Songfact: The title and chorus are based on a Chinese propaganda poster with the slogan "Shiny happy people holding hands." Michael Stipe calls this "A really fruity, kind of bubblegum song." He said that he was a bit embarrassed when it became a big hit, but it's an important song because it shows a different side of him: "Many people's idea of R.E.M, and me in particular, is very serious, with me being a very serious kind of poet. But I'm also actually quite funny."

♪ elevator music ♪
33. Kenny G, "Songbird" (1986)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 4 (1987)
Songfact: What MTV did for Duran Duran, VH1 did for Kenny G. When it put the music video for this in rotation, it got played on the radio. Listeners had no idea who was performing it or what it was called, but with the video record stores reported customers coming in looking for the record by "that guy playing saxophone on the beach."

You can try to resist, try to hide from my kiss but you know, but you know that you can't fight the moonlight
32. LeAnn Rimes, "Can't Fight the Moonlight" (2000)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 11
Songfact: This was featured in the movie Coyote Ugly, in which Rimes had a part playing herself. Despite being closer to a dance number, it topped the US Country charts because of Rime's background as a Country superstar.

As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
31. Toto, "Africa" (1982)
AM Rank: 2033
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 475
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1983)
Songfact: The keyboard player had never been to Africa when he wrote the song. He explained: "At the beginning of the '80s I watched a late night documentary on TV about all the terrible death and suffering of the people in Africa. It both moved and appalled me and the pictures just wouldn't leave my head. I tried to imagine how I'd feel about if I was there and what I'd do."
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:55 am, edited 10 times in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I remember that period of Will Smith where all his songs were just saying the name of the movie he was just in over and over.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips
30. 3OH!3, "Don't Trust Me" (2008)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 7 (2009)
Songfact: 3Oh!3's Nathaniel Motte explained that this tune about the glamorizing of the party scene was "one of two songs I co-produced with Benny Blanco (a producer who has a current hit with "Eastside")... We sat down and started making that beat right when we (met up). It came out sounding different than the other stuff but we were excited about it."

You can hang out with all the boys/It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A
29. Village People, "Y.M.C.A." (1978)
AM Rank: 2093
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2356
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2 (1979)
Songfact: A common misconception was that Village People were an all-gay troupe. Only the cowboy and the Indian were gay; the rest were straight, but they all played gay stereotype roles because the group was marketed to the gay community associated with disco at the time.

I say love, it is a flower, and you, its only seed
28. Bette Midler, "The Rose" (1979)
AM Rank: 8638
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 3 (1980)
Songfact: Its songwriter recalled: "The producers hated it. They thought it was dull and not rock and roll and totally wrong... (but) the music supervisor on the film (of the same name)... mailed it to Bette Midler, the star of the movie. She liked it, lobbied in favor of it; and that's how it got into the film and changed my life forever."

Ra-Ra-Rasputin - lover of the Russian queen, there was a cat that really was gone
27. Boney M., "Rasputin" (1978)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: Did not chart
Songfact: Frontman Bobby Farrell passed away on Dec. 30, 2010 in St. Petersburg, Russia, a few hours after performing in the city. Coincidentally, Rasputin also died back in 1916 on Dec. 30th, also in St. Petersburg.

Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains
26. Shakira, "Whenever, Wherever" (2001)
AM Rank: 8528
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2885
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 6 (2002)
Songfact: In 2001, Shakira was dating Antonio De La Rua, the son (and speechwriter) of Argentinean president Fernando De La Rua, who resigned in December with Argentina's economy in turmoil. On his last day in office, 5 protesters were shot by police guarding the presidential palace, which enraged Argentines and other Latin Americans. Tower Records refused to sell her CD at the request of the president of Tower Records Argentina.

And I realized quickly when I knew I should that the world was made up of this brotherhood of man for whatever that means
25. 4 Non Blondes, "What's Up?" (1992)
AM Rank: 2703
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1852
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 14 (1993)
Songfact: This was the first Top 40 hit by an openly lesbian group (Indigo Girls peaked at #52). The title is not in the lyrics - the chorus refrain is "What's Going On," but that's the name of a Marvin Gaye classic, so they always called the song "What's Up?" As to the song's meaning, the bass player said: "If you look at the lyrics, they don't mean anything. It's the way the song makes certain people feel."

Take me, won't you take me? I wanna go to Funkytown
24. Lipps, Inc., "Funkytown" (1980)
AM Rank: 1449
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1579
Songfact: The songwriter and producer wrote the song when he became bored with Minneapolis and wanted to move to New York, which he called "Funkytown." Lipps Inc. (pronounced "Lip Synch") was formed especially for this song.

Strike up the band, and make the fireflies dance silvermoon's sparkling
23. Sixpence None the Richer, "Kiss Me" (1997)
AM Rank: 4625
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1469
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 2 (1999)
Songfact: During the late '90s, TV producers were looking for fresh songs to provide dramatic underscore for big scenes (i.e., a pivotal kiss in a popular teen drama). This is what happened to "Kiss Me", which got some attention when it was used on Dawson's Creek twice in Nov. 1998 and Apr. 1999 and the movie She's All That, which premiered in Jan. 1999.

Hear the voices in my head, I swear to god it sounds like they're snoring
22. Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta" (1997)
AM Rank: 2120
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2282
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: Did not chart (#38 in The Hot 100 Airplay in 1998)
AM Rank: 2120
Songfact: The drummer said it was written as a response to the Seattle music scene of the '90s and its effect on mainstream culture. The title of the song was inspired by the Marx Brothers film Animal Crackers, which features a line of dialogue about the pole sitting fad of the '20s. The band was also inspired to spell "sitter" as "sitta" by the Pavement's "Fame Throwa" and the N.W.A album Straight Outta Compton.

Inside-out is wiggity, wiggity, wiggity wack
21. Kris Kross, "Jump" (1992)
AM Rank: 3202
Songfact: This song kept "Bohemian Rhapsody", "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)," and "Under The Bridge" from the top spot on the Hot 100, in which all 3 songs peaked at #2. At the time of its 8-week run, it was the longest running #1 since "Every Breath You Take" in '83.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Know all the words to Flagpole Sitta and still sing it on impulse. Hardcore guilty pleasure there.

Let me ask you though, why would anyone get their legs amputated for being schizophrenic?

Kiss me is just a normal pop song though.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Jirin wrote:Let me ask you though, why would anyone get their legs amputated for being schizophrenic?
"Put me in the hospital for nerves
And then they had to commit me
You told them all I was crazy
They cut off my legs now I'm an amputee, goddamn you"
I'd agree with an interpretation found in songmeanings.com saying: "This verse may well be about speaking one's mind and holding unconventional opinions, or about admitting you have a problem and need help, and the negative consequences that can follow either one." The songwriter probably took the metaphor to the extreme.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Added the voters in the Top 20.
What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more
20. Haddaway, "What Is Love" (1992)
AM Rank: 5807
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2347
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 11
Voters: StevieFan13 (#13), Dexter (#66), Kingoftonga (#6)
Songfact: Although it is an upbeat dance track, the lyrics are rather gut-wrenching - about trying to love a girl who won't love the guy back. When asked about the meaning of "What Is Love", he said: "'what is love' needs to be defined by everyone by his own definition. It's unique and individual. For me, it has to do with trust, honesty, and dedication." It experienced a revival as the song from the SNL "Roxbury Guys" sketches.

Here I go again on my own, goin' down the only road I've ever known
19. Whitesnake, "Here I Go Again" (1982)
AM Rank: 3793
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2376
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1987)
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#4), Rob (#12)
Songfact: Originally released on their 1982 album, it was re-recorded for their 1987 album. Its music video, featuring Tawny Kitaen on Jaguars, was a MTV hit, and one of the first "tease" videos popular among hair bands. As portrayed in the 2010 movie The Fighter, boxer Micky Ward used it for inspiration during training and before fights.

Come, come my lady, you're my butterfly, sugar baby
18. Crazy Town, "Butterfly" (2000)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (2001)
Voters: panam (#7), Father2TheMan (#43), phil (#14)
Songfact: The song (which samples RHCP's "Pretty Little Ditty") was inspired by the girl the singer was seeing at that time. The band's songs were full of macho swagger, which made her wary of him, so he wrote something romantic. As he tells it, he was lying on the bed, thinking about what to call his song, when he spotted a butterfly on the ceiling (she collected them). That gave him the title, and he later came up with the line, "You're my butterfly, sugar baby." The rest of the band loved it and recorded the demo that evening.

By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down/Yeah we wept, when we remembered Zion
17. Boney M., "Rivers of Babylon" (1978)
AM Rank: 9402
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: --
Voters: bonnielaurel (#8), DaveC (#5)
Songfact: Some of the lyrics came from Psalm 137 of The Bible (written during the Jews' exile in Babylon around 600 BC). This disco song is a cover of the Rastafari anthem recorded by The Melodians in 1970 and is included in the seminal soundtrack to 1972's The Harder They Come.

There's no need to complicate, our time is short
16. Jason Mraz, "I'm Yours" (2005)
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2715
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 6 (2008)
Voters: andy1010 (#27), Toni (#12), Safetycat (#9)
Songfact: Mraz admitted he didn't take "I'm Yours" seriously after he wrote it. "I just thought it was a cute song, a novelty song... Almost like a kids' song. But I started playing it live, and by 2008 I could tell that it needed to be on an album because audiences were really responding to it." It set the longevity record on the Hot 100 until it was broken by "Radioactive."

So many nights I'd sit by my window, waiting for someone to sing me his song
15. Debby Boone, "You Light Up My Life" (1977)
Voters: Father2TheMan (#75), JamieW (#2), Dexter (#20)
Songfact: The original version that was used in the film of the same name was sung by Kasey Cisyk, a jingle singer. But for the single, the director, Joseph Brooks, went with Debby Boone, who had little recording experience but was Pat Boone's daughter. Her vocal was done over the same instrumentation - only a very discerning ear can tell the difference between Boone's & Cisyk's version. Why Brooks didn't just use Cisyk's recording is unclear (Brooks was accused of rape & sexual abvuse in 2009).

Mmmbop, ba duba dop
14. Hanson, "MMMBop" (1997)
AM Rank: 2458
Voters: Jirin (#6), bonnielaurel (#23), luvulongTIM (#19)
Songfact: The drummer, Zac Hanson, explained: "What that song talks about is, you've got to hold on to the things that really matter. 'MMMBop' represents a frame of time or the futility of life. Things are going to be gone, whether it's your age and your youth, or maybe the money you have, and all that's going to be left are the people you've nurtured and have really built to be your backbone and your support system." Zac is the youngest person (12 y.o.) ever nominated for a songwriting Grammy.

Wonder if your rollin' backwoods for someone else/Doing things I taught you, gettin' nasty for someone else
13. Drake, "Hotline Bling" (2015)
AM Rank: 264
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1095
Voters: StevieFan13 (#33), panam (#2), woodymac (#35)
Songfact: When Drake first dropped the song, it was billed as a remix of "Cha Cha," a R&B cut from D.R.A.M. "Cha Cha" samples "Star World" by Koji Kondo from Super Mario World, which has a similar rhythm to "Why Can't We Live Together" by Timmy Thomas. Drake's awkward dancing in the music video quickly spawned many memes and parodies, culminating with a SNL sketch featuring Donald Trump.

You are my candy girl and you've got me wanting you
12. The Archies, "Sugar, Sugar" (1969)
AM Rank: 2025
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#61), Father2TheMan (#73), JamieW (#31), DaveC (#15), Dexter (#12)
Songfact: The Archies were the group that performed on the Saturday morning cartoon Archie. The group itself was never seen, just the cartoon characters. The songwriters wrote this song with preschoolers in mind ("You are my candy girl"); still, they wanted the song to appeal to adults as well ("I just can't believe the loveliness of loving you."). The line, "Pour a little sugar on me, baby" inspired Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and Lou Reed said he wished he'd written this song.

She'll make you live her crazy life but she'll take away your pain, like a bullet to your brain
11. Ricky Martin, "Livin' la vida loca" (1999)
AM Rank: 2789
Voters: panam (#1), JamieW (#52), Safetycat (#32)
Songfact: Despite its Spanglish title, songwriter Desmond Child said: "...there really is very little Spanish in it. But when we presented it to the record company, one of the top executives came back to me and said, 'Could you write that song in English now?' I said, 'It is in English.' (It) had parts that sound like Spanish but aren't. Like, 'skin the color of mocha.' 'Mocha' is an American term... but it sounded like Spanish. It took 3 days to work out the right combination of sounds and words."
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Fun fact: Livin’ la Vida Loca was the #1 song in the US the year I was born!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

StevieFan13 wrote:Fun fact: Livin’ la Vida Loca was the #1 song in the US the year I was born!
You barely count as a millennial :o ... and yet here you are (probably the youngest or one of the youngest AMFer).
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

As expected, the variance of my feelings toward these songs is quite high. There are some I love, and others that make it in my all time top 10 most hated songs list. Fascinating results!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dexter wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Fun fact: Livin’ la Vida Loca was the #1 song in the US the year I was born!
You barely count as a millennial :o ... and yet here you are (probably the youngest or one of the youngest AMFer).
Pretty sure I am!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I like how the GIFs reinforce the sort of mindless bopping that accompanies so many of these songs.

I remember thinking what a low point the music world had hit when a certain '90s tune was doing well even amongst critics. (Not the stuff of greatness like a white-boy rap song I helped lodge in the top 10 that "won" Source magazine's most wack song ever award.) Like with other brand new polls, there's the added fun of being pretty much in the dark about the top results :laughing-rollingyellow:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’m Yours might be one of the catchiest songs ever, but also one where the lyrics are the sneaky kind of obnoxious.

That verse about checking his tongue in the mirror took me a bit to decode, but it seems like he’s talking about being self aware of his obsessive vanity and finding some kind of transcendent comfort in knowing he’s being shallow and vain and embracing it anyway.

Which is kind of rationalized self deception that makes an entire generation hated. Inventing philosophy to make one’s self feel good about behaving awfully.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Pretty sure I am!
I wouldn't be surprised if we had a forumer 18 or younger. I started here when I was 14 (I believe Sweepstakes Ron was around that age as well)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I've seen definitions of 'Millennial' that end anywhere from 1996 to 2004. Most agree they start in 1982 or so. I was born in 1983 so I'm on the old side of millennials.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

No Halloween
10. Stevie Wonder, "I Just Called to Say I Love You" (1984)
AM Rank: 4987
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2501
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#2), panam (#18), bonnielaurel (#70)
Songfact: In a songwriting lawsuit, Wonder claimed he wrote the music for this song in 1976, he "modernized" it when he added lyrics for the soundtrack (The Woman in Red). He added that he had John Lennon in mind when he worked on the song: "I had the melody and the lyric that I had for the chorus, and I imagined in my mind when hearing the chords that The Beatles were singing with me. And that idea and feeling is what inspired me to use the vocoder, when I heard about the vocoder. And I always imagined myself and The Beatles singing that. It was in 1980 I believe, or '81 when John Lennon was killed, that I knew that the dream would never be fulfilled."

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?
9. 3 Doors Down, "Kryptonite" (2000)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 3
Voters: phil (#6), Rob (#5)
Songfact: The singer says this song (he wrote when he was 15 y.o. in math class) is a question: "It's like, 'If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?' It's asking, 'If I'm down, will you still be there for me?' But at the same time, 'If I'm alive and well, will you be there holding my hand?' That's kind of asking, 'If I'm doing good, will you be there for me? Will you not be jealous of me?' And maybe throughout the years of singing that song, I might have come up with more meanings for it than it
actually might have originally had."

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
8. Bon Jovi, "Livin' on a Prayer" (1986)
AM Rank: 601
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 392
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1987)
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#6), panam (#17), Rob (#19)
Songfact: VH1's best song of the '80s. At first, Jon Bon Jovi thought it wasn't good enough but a meeting with a group of teenagers changed his mind. Asked whether the Tommy character was a strike-breaker, he replied: "No. He just lost his job - it wasn't that he crossed the [picket] line. The industry left the town and he didn't get the job back. It was a fictional character. The inspiration was a young couple who got pregnant and gave up everything they had, but that didn't read right, so we changed the story."

Girl you fill me full
7. Color Me Badd, "All 4 Love" (1991)
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#14), luvulongTIM (#42), Father2TheMan (#65), phil (#2)
Songfact: A multi-racial boy band whose members were hilariously referred to as Kenny G, George Michael, and Snow by MTV's Butthead. This is their 3rd single and 2nd Hot 100 #1 ("I Adore Mi Amor" was the first #1, their debut "I Wanna Sex You Up" peaked at #2). The recording contains elements and/or samples of the 1966 minor R&B hit "Patch My Heart" by The Mad Lads.

We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

6. Bonnie Tyler, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (1983)[/br]
AM Rank: 1521
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1797
Voters: Jirin (#17), StevieFan13 (#9), acroamor (#13), Kingoftonga (#29)
Songfact: Written by Jim Steinman, who first offered this song (which gets a bump in streaming every time there's an eclipse), along with "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" to Meat Loaf for his 1983 album. For financial reasons, Meat Loaf's record company wanted him to write his own songs for the album, so this song went to Tyler and the other to Air Supply. Ever wonder how Bonnie Tyler got that raspy voice? After years of singing in nightclubs in Wales, she developed throat nodules. After surgery, her voice developed the distinctive rasp.

We're heading to Venus
5. Europe, "The Final Countdown" (1986)
AM Rank: 2051
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 1610
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 8 (1987)
Voters: Live in Phoenix (#33), bonnielaurel (#1), Dexter (#28), Kingoftonga (#9)
Songfact: It describes a trip into Space (heading for Venus) and leaving Earth behind. The singer said: "...it was written for the band, it was written for our concert, it was written to be the opening song in our concert... it was very much a surprise and its been used for all kinds of events, anything from Formula 1 to boxing... I know there's been some cover versions of it as well and I know when the Berlin Wall (fell), at the same time that all thing happened I know a lot of other people from that area saw the song as an anthem. I get a lot of letters about that. So its been interpreted in many ways."

Word to your mother
4. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby" (1989)
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1990)
Voters: StevieFan13 (#2), Live in Phoenix (#16), JamieW (#10), phil (#30), Dexter (#83)
Songfact: Ice says the lyrics are based in fact (shooting breaks out, Vanilla is armed with his 9mm, but doesn't use it). The song (which sample's Queen & David Bowie's "Under Pressure" without consent) was nominated for a Grammy in the category Best Rap Performance. The award went to "U Can't Touch This." It was only the 2nd year a Grammy was given in the category ("Parent's Just Don't Understand" was the first winner). These choices didn't go over well among many in the rap community who felt they were awarding irrelevant songs that could hardly be considered rap. This was the first single by a rapper to hit #1 in the US. It is not, however, the first #1 hit with a rap - Blondie earned that distinction with "Rapture," which hit the top spot in 1981.

Don't cry for me next door neighbor
3. Chumbawamba, "Tubthumping" (1997)
AM Rank: 2223
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 6
Voters: Jirin (#1), StevieFan13 (#16), Live in Phoenix (#56), woodymac (#36), phil (#77), Kingoftonga (#15)
Songfact: In England, a tubthumper is a politician. The U.S. equivalent of tubthumping is "going on the stump" (campaigning). To be pissed in England is to be drunk, to be pissed in the US is to be angry. The group took some criticism for this because it was one of their least-political songs (the group is a collective dedicated to the destruction of the U.K. gov't), yet it was their biggest hit.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:23 am, edited 6 times in total.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'll wrap this up tomorrow. You probably know what the last 2 songs are. I'll provide a spotify playlist and the spreadsheet.
"All 4 Love" is my personal discovery in this poll. What a lame boy band with lame dance moves and clothes, but what a soulful and catchy tune!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don't think people in the US have heard any other Chumbawumba song, I had no idea they were a political group. It's just a fun, catchy song.

A few of the clear candidates in the top ten, a few of the big 'Schlock epics'. I'm a little surprised to see Kryptonite. I see that as just your standard normal pop rock song.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Zig-a-zig-ah
2. Spice Girls, "Wannabe" (1996)
AM Rank: 1030
AMF 2018 Poll Rank: 2082
Billboard Hot 100 Peak: 1 (1997)
Voters: Jirin (#3), StevieFan13 (#15), bonnielaurel (#5), Kingoftonga (#21)
Songfact: The "zig-a-zig-ah" line was speculated to be shorthand for "suck a d**k." The songwriter claims it's a nonsense phrase they (with the girls) had been throwing around when they wrote the song, and that it's purely innocent. Mel B wrote: "Everybody needs a zig-a-zig-ah, and it's whatever you want it to be." The Daily Star reported something different, claiming that Mel B directed the line at an "'80s pop dude" who was working at the studio. Apparently, this guy pooped and smoked cigars in the common bathroom, making quite a stink. She dubbed him "s**t and cigar," which was the line, until they reworked it into something radio-friendly and nonsensical.

Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
1. Smash Mouth, "All Star" (1999)
AM Rank: 4398
Voters: andy1010 (#56), panam (#21), Toni (#16), acroamor (#10), Kingoftonga (#1)
Songfact: The writer/guitarist explained: "We would get these big bags of fan mail...about 85-90% of the mail was from these kids who were being bullied or their brothers or older siblings were giving them s**t for liking Smash Mouth... So we were, like, 'We should write a song for fans.'It was sort of like a daily affirmation. It was designed to be an uplifting, self-confidence building song." Its commercial appeal was not lost on the band, selling it to films like Mystery Men, Shrek, Digimon: The Movie, among others.

The spreadsheet:
Guilty Pleasure Poll (2018).xls

The spotify playlist:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dexter on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:24 am, edited 5 times in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sorry in advance if I sound harsh from now on, Dexter, this is not my intention.

First the positive: Dexter, congratulations for for the superb presentation. As some other have said, the GIFs and the Songfact features were extremely welcomed and gave an extra dimension to a list like this one. The nice timing and the lack of mistakes were also positive features.

But I have a criticism. I just downloaded the Excel file and: a) I understand your concern about the many ties if we had included songs only nominated by one voter and b) it's your game and you put your own rules but c) I don't agree with your decision of not including one-voter songs. Let me elaborate this a little more:
- Other polls have easier inclusion criteria and it's more justified not including one-voter songs. We all know what to vote on an all-time albums or songs poll, only some minor quibbles about compilations, classical music or remixes can occasionally pop up on these kind of polls. But in a poll about a concept so diffuse and subjective as "guilty pleasures" (moreover with a non massive participation) it was expectable to have many songs with only one voter.
- Your decision made some of the lists irrelevant to the main list (and this is my major complaint) simply because these voters had a different concept of what a "guilty pleasure" is. The most extreme case was Red Ant, with only one of his/her nominated songs (1/50, a 2%) making it to the main list. The opposite case was yours, Dexter, with the 69% of your Top 100 appearing on the Top 200. I've checked it and the Top 5 of more consensual lists were the ones by Dexter (69%, 69/100), Live in Phoenix (48%, 48/100), DaveC (45%, 9/20), jamieW (44%, 44/100) and –tied– Jirin (40%, 10/25) and StevieFan13 (40%, 40/100). The Top 5 of "outsiders" were Red Ant (2%, 1/50), me (15%, 4/26), Neil (15%, 15/100), luvulongTIM (23%, 12/53) and andyd1010 (23%, 23/100).
- Looking at the final list the most consensual concept of "guilty pleasure" could be: a) an extremely popular song in the USA (I've checked it and we had 92/200 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100 and 161 Top 10 songs), b) usually not well considered by the critics (even if we included also massive critics darlings as "Hotline Bling" or "Dancing Queen"), c) mostly enjoyed during our different teenage periods before developing an "informed taste" and d) a song that can be fairly tagged with a pejorative adjective like silly, sentimental, uncool, overblown, commercial, etc.
- I initially thought about the final list as an ethnocentric or generational thing but looking to it closely I can see that it's not the case. Many of the most consensual lists came from the USA but lists from Latin American voters like panam or Toni had a high level of coincidence too. And I was going to blame to the millenials about the abundance of 00s songs but some of the veterans (like DaveC or jamieW) also had a lot of consensus with the main list.
- Anyway I don't have a clue about how to make a more varied list integrating our (sometimes) divergent concepts of guilty pleasures. Maybe a) selecting the Top 250 songs with more votes including the one-voter songs, b) having a period of voting against some of the songs (for instance I would have excluded songs on the Top 500 of Acclaimed Music) and c) asking to the voters to rank the remaining songs (like we do on the decade polls) to end with a Top 200.

Sorry if this comes out as a rant, I didn't want to be offensive with you, Dexter (even if I don't agree with the rules your work was absolutely impeccable, many thanks for that), or with the people that participated in the poll (especially the ones that included comments on the submissions thread, I loved them). I just wanted to share my thoughts.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Thanks for the work, Dexter!
I feel like that
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Amazing presentation, Dexter!
Thanks!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Great work, Dexter! My friends and I love All Star, for what it’s worth. It’s like an in-joke with us at this point.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”