Concerts you have coming up

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Concerts you have coming up

Post by Jirin »

Looking forward to Janelle Monae next weekend.

Is she as visual a stage performer as she seems she might be based on her themed work?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Jirin wrote:Looking forward to Janelle Monae next weekend.

Is she as visual a stage performer as she seems she might be based on her themed work?
I think you're going to love it, but at the same time don't want to raise your hopes too high... :music-listening:
(well I loved it)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Seeing Radiohead tomorrow! Extremely excited.
carlos74
Wannabe

Post by carlos74 »

I was also in Mad Cool. This is what I could see:

Eels: It was not bad but I like it more on the albums. More rock band than I expected.

Lali Puna: I did not know this group, I only saw them for a while while resting and it was a small revelation. They were on the electronic stage but they sounded more like dream pop to me. I have yet to hear some album.

Leon Bridges: Great concert, more danceable than the albums. "River" seemed like a classic. Old School Soul, I left with the feeling of having seen a future great star.

Tame Impala: They sounded huge, like a stadium band. I did not like that on the screens they showed psychedelic images instead of the group, from far away you could not see anything.

Pearl Jam: I bought the tickets for them, "Vitalogy" was the first CD I had, my mother gave it to me for my birthday! The setlist was ideal, with all the classics. Vedder have not the voice of the first years but seeing them was like fulfilling a dream. The best.

Japandroids: Wow! Tremendous, pure rock and roll.

Perfume Genius: After his last two albums I went with many expectations and they did not disappoint me. Melodramatic pop, another great singer who can be a star.

Arctic Monkeys: The big disappointment, boring. Too much ballad to the piano. I don't like his last album.

Franz Ferdinand: They saved the day with a concert full of hits, super danceable, the opposite of the Monkeys. Great.

Queens of the Stone Age: For me after PJ the big concert was this one. Josh exuded charisma and attitude and refused to play if they did not open the fences of the VIP area to the rest of the people.

Depeche Mode: I liked seeing them because they are a myth, but I think they had the bad luck to play between QOTSA and NIN and at their side they sounded soft. I do not think it was his best night.

Nine Inch Nails: Despite not being a fan I recognize that his concert was very powerful. The closing with "Hurt" was perhaps the best moment of the festival.

In general I left with a bittersweet feeling about the festival. I think that was badly organized. Many great artists played at the same time and I could not see them: YLT, Sampha, Alice in Chains, Black Rebel Motorcycle, Future Islands.

In addition the enclosure was very small and according to the zone the sound of some and others overlapped. Massive Attack canceled for that, although fortunately I had seen them years ago.

Endless queues, high prices... Maybe I'm too old for this, I think it's been my last festival.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

The War on Drugs at the Fox Theatre in Oakland, CA on 9/11.

It will be a change for me to see a band that started playing in the last decade or two.

If anyone else has seen the band perform recently, please provide your take on the highlights of the show and anything I should focus on.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Just for the fact they always keep their concerts for a very reasonable price I love and plan on seeing Shonen Knife on October 5th at the Bootleg Theater in Los Angeles. It’s in a shady neighborhood so let’s pray I see the entire show this time around.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

carlos74 wrote:I was also in Mad Cool. This is what I could see...
I was there too. It was my first festival and I was overall very pleased with it. The problems regarding the queues at the entrance on the first day, transportation back to the city center, and the lines for beer and water, are just minor when in the end the music delivers. Excellent sound stage, a VIP section section that's worth the price, and hands down best line-up this year. The bands I got to watch: PJ, NIN, QOTSA, Depeche Mode, Justice, Franz Ferdinand, Tame Impala, Fleet Foxes, Kasabian, Dua Lipa, At the Drive In, delivered while Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, Jack Johnson were so-so. The only major gripe I had was that they should have done QOTSA-DM-NIN in one main stage (I mean I know the line-up will result in clashes but this was very doable), instead I had to watch DM from afar, that and leaving Franz Ferdinand to watch Massive Attack only to arrive at an empty stage.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Seeing Saint Etienne, winner of last year’s BMAA.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

The War on Drugs did a very good job tonight at the Fox Theater in Oakland. The wall of sound worked for the most part and the vocals were thankfully tuneful, if not always discernible. The Fox Theater seemed to deal well with the sound which was bit over-amplified for me.

At times the guitarist seemed to emulate a few predecessors including Flock of Seagulls, XTC, Journey and The Cure. At other times, the band sounded a bit like Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. I was unable to discern guitar efforts that reminded me of Mark Knopfler, but occasionally the vocal phrasing was similar to Dire Straits.

Now for the nitpicks:

There were a couple of songs that were too repetitious, and some ambient portions of songs that didn't do much for me.

The Dylan vocal patterns are obvious, and I would prefer to hear vocal presentations with a more varied set of cadences.

The synth portions were occasionally unnecessarily distracting and at other times reminded of The Human League. I was not especially impressed by the saxophone bits or the drummer. My least favorite element was the harmonica.

Unfortunately, I don't think my daughter and son-in-law were overly-impressed. My daughter indicated that she preferred Jack White.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I wish venues would make it easier to find the stage schedules. I think they intentionally make it hard because the earlier you arrive relative to the performance, the more they expect you to spend and I bet they have exact statistics for that. But it's obnoxious if it's a standing room event and standing up straight for long periods of time without moving around causes you lower back pain.

Saint Etienne was awesome but this affected the enjoyability because the published time turned out to be the door time and they went on an hour and a half later.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Listyguy wrote:I'm going to Paul Simon's final concert in Queens in September. Who knows if it will actually be his last show (he's currently on a "farewell tour"), but I'm excited to see him regardless.
This was last night. Great show from Mr. Simon. He only played five Simon and Garfunkel tunes, which is my only real complaint because everything he did perform was excellent.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass was once again a great success for the attendees.

Graham Nash was vocally brilliant and interacted wonderfully with the audience.

Los Lobos was superb, but should consider dropping the accordion songs.

Hurray for Riffraff was very good, but too much spoken words in some of their songs was a bit annoying.

Glorietta was a pleasant surprise.

I'm with Her performed well, but their music was not that exciting for me.

Steve Forbert's vocals were a bit weak, but at least somewhat serviceable.

I wasn't that interested in Gomez and Ani Difranco's vocals were a bit pitchy IMHO.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

About to see Spoon in Dallas, hopefully I won’t die from the heat! :D
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I had two concerts last week. Two very different ones.

The first was John Carpenter. Yes, the director of horror and action movies who peaked in the seventies and eighties. He composed the scores for most of his films himself and now tours with them. He also released a series of two albums in the last few years called Lost Themes, "music for the movies in your head" as he described them in concert. They are hard to separate from his actual soundtrack material. Despite the fact that these songs are new they sound like the nineties, zeroes and tens never happened. He is shamelessly dedicated to an old-fashioned, synthesizer meets classic rock guitar sound. There is no grandstanding here, no virtuosity, hardly any skill involved. These are blunt spectacle pieces, based on a simple hook that gets repeated with little variety. And oddly enough it works. The songs were kept short, but all where so full of bombast and power that you just had the feeling you were in the middle of some cheap schlock movie that just happened to be well directed. The use of clips (with focus on murder and action) helped a lot. It was a very fun night, with Carpenter himself very comfortable in his role as sleezy horror show presenter.

Two days later I saw Beach House, one of the great bands of the last decade, with at least three great albums (Teen Dream and Bloom of course, but I'd add Devotion to that trio too) and several very good ones (I know most call 7 one of the greats, but perhaps at a later date I will post somewhere why after some 10 listens it still hasn't struck me deeply). The concert was a rather mixed affair. Some of the tracks from 7 just felt too overdone. On album they already seem a wall of sound, sometimes to a fault, which live sometimes can come across as a mess. And a mess is exactly not what you come for at a Beach House concert. Most older tracks fared better for being lighter, but they completely ruined Myth somehow. That one even sounded amateurish live. It seems they can't always keep up with their own material once there is more going on. Yet when a song hit, it hit really well. The usually underrated Gila was pure atmosphere, Space Song was as wonderful as I hoped and PPP remains a gem, as is Whispers. How has other people's experience on this forum with Beach House been? I came away somewhat disappointed, despite some high points.

A duo named Wume opened for Beach House. I'd never heard of them before. They are a duo consisting of a guy producing electronic dance music on his computer, while a girl plays furiously on drums, jazz style. I got a real kick out of them and secretly ended up liking their performance more than Beach House. Sadly, their only album from 2015 sounds completely different. Good, but not too remarkable.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

My buddy Ron saw Beach House at The Fox Theater in Oakland recently and thought that the live show was rather tame in that the band members failed to interact with the audience and were not clearly visible during the performance.

The performance by The War on Drugs that I saw at The Fox Theater was quite good. But, the interaction of the band members with the audience was also far too limited in my view.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Henry wrote:My buddy Ron saw Beach House at The Fox Theater in Oakland recently and thought that the live show was rather tame in that the band members failed to interact with the audience and were not clearly visible during the performance.
They perform with a lot of smoke and atmospheric lighting. The band members are usually a sort of silhouette this way. That's clearly a conscious decision, part of the mood. I don't mind that. The interaction was limited, but that is one thing I personally don't care that much for, especially if the music is good.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Just saw Mitski in Dallas and it was amazing, I feel like any reservations I had about her new album evaporated after hearing it live! Also her dance moves were hilarious and incredibly endearing, I highly recommend seeing her if you can
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

FrankLotion wrote:Just saw Mitski in Dallas and it was amazing, I feel like any reservations I had about her new album evaporated after hearing it live! Also her dance moves were hilarious and incredibly endearing, I highly recommend seeing her if you can
Seeing her tomorrow night in Atlanta! I had the pleasure of seeing her on her last tour as well. She's an absolute delight live, and I'm excited to see the new dance moves.

Her last show also was great because both Japanese Breakfast and Jay Som were her openers and I'd never heard of them, but they went on to release two of my favorite albums of 2017.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Just bought tickets to Ariana Grande in October. It will be the first concert with my then 12-year old daughter. :happy-partydance:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Henrik wrote:Just bought tickets to Ariana Grande in October. It will be the first concert with my then 12-year old daughter. :happy-partydance:
You're embarking (I hope) on a path of lifetime bonding. I took my two girls to their first concert; Our Lady Peace, for my sins, at about that age. Since then we have seen dozens, perhaps a hundred, as a group, in pairs, more recently with my son-in-law as a partner in crime. Some of my favourite memories:
- sneaking out of my youngest's high school graduation, under the gaze of her mother, to see The Killers
- taking my two-month old grandaughter, with noise-cancelling headband over her tender ears, to see Alabama Shakes
- front row seats with my eldest for the final tour of The Tragically Hip

Sharing each others music has been the greatest joy of my life as a parent. Good luck, Henrik!
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I’m seeing Mitski on the 19th in Baltimore, and Kamasi Washington/Herbie Hancock in Wolf Trap, Virginia on July 30th. Definitely excited for both of those concerts!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Just saw Better Oblivion Community Center last night and seeing Mitski with Jay Som on Tuesday in Athens. Particularly excited because I've never seen any musical artist three times (not counting college bands who I saw play house parties every other weekend) and now both Mitski and Jay Som will reach three. The others I've seen twice are Weezer, the Beach Boys, and Julia Holter.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Just saw Mitski and Jay Som last night at Rams Head Live. Although Jay Som was definitely solid and charismatic throughout their opening set, it was Mitski who stole the show the entire night. Without a doubt one of the best experiences of my life, and it served as a reminder to me as why music is art, with the ability to liberate yourself on stage and turn deep feeling into song. Gotta say others felt that way too (there was this girl standing near me who kept crying, and I probably looked stupid dancing the entire time LMAO), but it’s that ability to captivate your audience and make them aware, and be a part of the emotions being released when performing that makes it so special. Mitski is definitely a first-class performer, and she is a must-see when she tours. Period.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Yesterday I saw Better Oblivion Community Center at the great Paradiso in Amsterdam. That was one hell of a concert. The big difference between the jittery Conor Oberst and the serene Phoebe Bridgers works very well. I quite love their album, but it was also nice to see them giving more of a rough edge to many of these songs. Outside the ten songs from their album they covered three Bright Eyes songs and three Bridgers solo ones. In a twist it was Oberst who took lead vocals on her songs and vice versa. I didn't think that Funeral would work as blasting rock song, but there we were. There was also a Replacements cover for good measure. Most of all, it was the interplay and affection between the two musicians that made it a special night. I recommend to go see them if you have the chance.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

oh man oh man....since I moved to the South of France, I have been eyeing up a few concerts but didn't have the courage to go.
And I found this festival...raring to go, but the bands are NOT my family's cup of tea, I think the forumers would appreciate though...

This is not a Love Song (Nimes)
Among the ones I want to see :

Aldous Harding
Built to Spill (HELL YEAH)
Fat White Family
Big Thief
Courtney Barnett
Stephen Malkmus
Fontaines DC
Low
Shame

and many many more...
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm seeing Beach House tonight with a couple of friends in Massachusetts. Should be awesome! :D
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Just saw Tower of Power at the Fox Theater in Oakland. They put on a fantastic show. The band included two of the original members (starting in 1968). TOP has had some new albums recently and another expected in 2020. The horn section is still great and their young vocalist is also quite talented and entertaining.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

I had planned on Post Malone but I ain’t got the money for that unfortunately. I am goin to some local house venues for punk shows though.
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Edre Peraza wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm I had planned on Post Malone but I ain’t got the money for that unfortunately. I am goin to some local house venues for punk shows though.
Update on the DIY punk venue I went too... it was so great. There is nothing like a good small punk show with moshing and crowd surfing and a basement.
Edre the Depeche Head
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Just booked train and gig tickets for Ibibio Sound Machine in Sheffield on 11th and Kate Tempest in Oxford on 14th October!
All I got inside is vacancy!
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Went to a local festival where I got to see the likes of Snail Mail, Parquet Courts and De La Soul. Overall, it was a fun event. Lindsey Jordan's still got a ways to go to build up her stage presence, but she's young and I imagine it'll come with age. PC and DLS were incredible, I wish they could have performed for more than an hour each. My daughters, 10 and 13, loved them, too.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

Rocky Raccoon wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:19 pm Went to a local festival where I got to see the likes of Snail Mail, Parquet Courts and De La Soul. Overall, it was a fun event. Lindsey Jordan's still got a ways to go to build up her stage presence, but she's young and I imagine it'll come with age. PC and DLS were incredible, I wish they could have performed for more than an hour each. My daughters, 10 and 13, loved them, too.
As someone who had Lush grow on me until I considered it to be one of 2018's most rewarding albums, I can say that I would kill to see Smail Mail in concert, so lucky you ;)
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

Austin City Limits Music Festival: The Cure, Guns N Roses, James Blake and Robyn are the highlights I'm most looking forward to. :music-listening:
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I just bought tickets to see Freddie Gibbs on November 22nd at the Fillmore Silver Spring. He’s one of my favorite artists, and i’m really excited to go to his concert!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

HELP !
Godspeed You Black Emperor is playing in November nearby... 1500-strong venue. I want to go, my wife is not so keen, as she doesn't know the band that well...
Has anyone seen them live ? I suspect they're worth it, but nothing like a forumers' opinion :)
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

spiritualized wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 pm HELP !
Godspeed You Black Emperor is playing in November nearby... 1500-strong venue. I want to go, my wife is not so keen, as she doesn't know the band that well...
Has anyone seen them live ? I suspect they're worth it, but nothing like a forumers' opinion :)
Never seen them, can imagine they'll be nothing short of spectacular. Can't offer anything more than envy that they're playing near you, hope your wife gets into them within the month!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

spiritualized wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:27 pm HELP !
Absolutely stunning live band. Highly highly recommended. I saw them perform at a church of all places and the acoustics paired with their sound perfectly.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Seeing S-K in a few weeks.

Since I’ve had a mortgage this year I decided concerts were one of the expensive hobbies I was willing to sacrifice more than the others. So I decided the only concerts I would try to see are the absolute top tier ones. S-K, Flaming Lips, St Vincent. Also I would add Tom Waits just because I’ve never seen him.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This year has been slow for concerts for me, to say the least, without there being an obvious reason for it. But in recent weeks I have bought four tickets, even if most of them seem to be in February.

November 27 - Aldous Harding - Paradiso Amsterdam
February 6 - Angel Olsen - Paradiso Amsterdam
February 19 - Sleater-Kinney - Paradiso Amsterdam
February 21 - Lana Del Rey - ZiggoDome Amsterdam

I've already seen Sleater-Kinney and Lana Del Rey once live and they were both amazing. I wasn't too fond of Center Won't Hold, but I hope that won't hurt the live experience. Very curious how Aldous and Angel are live. Speaking of Aldous, why is no one talking about how amazing Designer is?
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

Definitely going to try and make some date on the Nick Cave European tour next year, given how incredible the live recordings from 2017 were
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Just got invited to see Cold War Kids tomorrow night in NYC. I knew three of their songs, so now I'm going through their discography.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

July 24th,2020 - Ezcited to catch Alanis, Garbage and Liz Phair- Riverbend, Cincinnati, OH

My wife wanted to go but I already love JAGGED LITTLE PILL, quite a bit of EXILE IN GUYVILLE and some other tracks here and there and plenty of Garbage's radio singles. I'll try and delve deeper into their catalogues before the show.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Well - some quite cool artists we've already bought tickets for :

June 16 - Foo Fighters and L7
July 24 - Dido & Suzanne Vega

Both tickets in an amazing venue : Image
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Not gonna say the word cause I’m sure people are coming on here to avoid anything to do with it but yeah, my condolences to anyone to had plans to go to a show cause it’s not looking good :( Saw some people saying they had tix for shows in July. I don’t think it’s gotten bad enough to where shows that far ahead will be canceled or postponed but who knows. Again sorry folks :(
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Currently only shows I have scheduled are Wilco/Sleater-Kinney and Nick Cave.

First time I ever bought the insurance.
ArcadeFire
Wannabe

Post by ArcadeFire »

Bonnaroo in June: Vampire Weekend, Tame Impala, Run the Jewls, Lana Del Rey and Tool are top of my list to see...if it doesn't get cancelled. Imagine it probably will though.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I'm attending a virtual concert on Minecraft Friday where 100 Gecs and Charli XCX are performing. Concerts like these are going to be the norm for a while.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

At this point just replace the words concerts with REFUNDS. Laughing my ass off cause TicketMaster charges a fortune in all this BS tax they make up, now they have to refund it 100% as they charged people. Hope this gives them a second perspective on them screwing concert goers over like they’re notorious for doing. So at the that’s one possible silver lining.
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I just attended another 100 Gecs headlined virtual festival last night. While the Minecraft festival was basically dystopia’s version of Lollapalooza, this concert presented more of the Internet-age surrealism that defines the group and many of the musicians along them. Two other highlights of the festival who’s music is worth checking out - Dorian Electra and Cowgirl Clue.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Moor Mother's headlining a virtual gig this weekend, your guess as to if it'll lean more to her jazz side or her rap tendencies https://www.songkick.com/live-stream-co ... ign=entity

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”