Concerts you have coming up

TimmyWing
Different Class

Re: Concerts you have coming up

Post by TimmyWing »

Got tickets to see Mac DeMarco in May, and Neutral Milk Hotel the following day. :)
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

As a surprise anniversary present, my wife took me to see Elbow on Saturday night, and it was excellent!
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Got a chance to see Waxahatchee tonight. She put on a lovely show.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I went to see The Knife last night.

Every song is accompanied by a colorfully lit, highly choreographed interpretive dance. They put on an excellent show.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

Chvrches put on a wonderful performance tonight in Minneapolis! Great music and the light show was pretty nuts :happy-partydance:
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I just saw Steel Dan last night in Saratoga. They put on an incredible show, a great mix of hits and album cuts!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just bought tickets to see Television in Manhattan later this month! Should be an interesting show.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Owen Pallett in a mere 8 hours!!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Fantastic show by Owen Pallett! That guy is a f… genius! Most of the show featured only him with his voice, a violin, a keyboard and a sampler creating loops. A prodigy of precision, technique, passion and talent, the perfect synthesis of modernity and classicism. Dazzlingly brilliant!
A sample from a radio show:
And his cover of Caribou's "Odessa":
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ I really like that cover of Odessa! I have seen a few people who do the live looping and it never ceases to amaze me.

I went to St. Jerome's Laneway Festival in Brisbane last weekend so had a whole load of great performances:

The end of Australian (via Zimbabwe) Tkay Maidza. She was going off in the middle of the day.
I was impressed by 18 year old Raury (featured on Higher from last years SBTRKT effort)
Sohn seemed interesting.
I got a few records signed by the guys of Jungle and had a photo taken with Courtney Barnett so my day was made at this point.
I then saw Angel Olsen who seemed a bit standoffish to begin with, but I enjoyed the set by the end.
This is the 5th time I have seen Courtney Barnett and she will never get old.
Managed to get 2nd row to the Mac Demarco set (introduced by his mother!!!). Didn't realise how many teenage girls (and boys) idolise him.
Banks was good, but nothing to rave about. She had some cool hand actions though.
This is when I got to see my chosen ones of the festival - Jungle. Loved the set and gained new appreciation for some songs and they did a fantastic extended version of Busy Earnin', my favourite song of last year.
Note: At this point Future Islands and St. Vincent were performing on the other side of the festival :(
Caribou followed up and I'm looking forward to listening to more of his work.
I watched the first half of the FKA Twigs set. Now it might have got better, but I give her a big old yawn. Beautiful singing, wonderful lighting, great dancing. Despite all of these elements it felt hollow/robotic. I was also very tired haha
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Maschine_Man wrote: I went to St. Jerome's Laneway Festival in Brisbane last weekend so had a whole load of great performances:

Managed to get 2nd row to the Mac Demarco set (introduced by his mother!!!). Didn't realise how many teenage girls (and boys) idolise him.
Oh I was there 2 years (already, damn) ago. A lot of bands to see, at some point Divine Fits, Bat for Lashes and Nicholas Jaar were all playing simultaneously, tough choices had to be made (thanksfully I don't like Alt-J so I could watch Cloud Nothings in full). Lots of great concerts : El-P, Japandroids, Julia Holter, Jessie Ware... Bat for Lashes was the true high though.

I went to a Mac Demarco concert last year (I was mostly going for Cloud Nothings) and it was a really fun time, he indeed has a lot of fan (though I'd say most were in their early 20s)

Only one upcoming concert for me : Sleater-Kinney in Paris in March !
Maybe I should buy last moments tickets to Afghan Whigs Sunday but I'm not sure I'd be back in Brussels in time.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Booked tickets today for Godspeed You! Black Emperor in the end of April in Amsterdam. Really stoked for that. One of those bands that I imagine will be quite impressive to see live, with their huge band and many different acoustic instruments.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I got tickets to see shoegaze legends Ride at the Fox Theater in Pomona California. The Eagulls are opening for them.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm seeing St. Vincent in March! I couldn't find anyone else to go with me, so this will probably be the first concert I've ever gone to alone. Oh well though.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Got tickets for Sleater-Kinney in Amsterdam on March 19. Still a new discovery for me, but really looking forward to it.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote:Got tickets for Sleater-Kinney in Amsterdam on March 19. Still a new discovery for me, but really looking forward to it.
The day before me then ;)

Last Saturday I went to a music quiz organised by "goute mes disques" (a big Belgian website whose EOY lists are included in AM I think). We ended up 3rd out of 25 teams (I have no doubt an AMers team would have won, we were pretty close from the lead) so I won tickets to the Decemberists concert, and that was quite great. Colin Meloy is a great frontman, he has very funny interactions with the audience but he also song a touching song for his son's 9th birthday. And overall the band is really good, the highlight was probably the 3 parter The Island : Come and See / The Landlord's Daughter / You'll Not Feel the Drowning but The Singer Adresses the Audiance works as a perfect opener and I fully understand why 16 Military Wives is their most played song cause that's easy and fun singalong.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just saw St. Vincent last night (with Jenny Hval opening). Incredible, incredible show. St. Vincent is like some sort of alien android goddess on stage. Incredible stage presence, hilarious stage banter, and her guitar work is sublime. I saw her at a pretty small venue and I was only 20 or 30 feet from the stage. Probably in my top ten concerts I've ever been to. If you ever get the chance to see her, DO IT.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Nick wrote:Just saw St. Vincent last night (with Jenny Hval opening). Incredible, incredible show. St. Vincent is like some sort of alien android goddess on stage. Incredible stage presence, hilarious stage banter, and her guitar work is sublime. I saw her at a pretty small venue and I was only 20 or 30 feet from the stage. Probably in my top ten concerts I've ever been to. If you ever get the chance to see her, DO IT.
Emma Healey at [url=http://www.saidthegramophone.com/]saidthegramophone.com[/url] wrote:But this week I saw St. Vincent and the sound of her guitar was like power lines in an ice storm and when she spoke everything in the room rushed toward her like she was where gravity began and ended. She conducted everything - light, air, crowd - but what she was doing was entirely for herself. Singular, unbroken current. I do not know what it's like to be Annie Clark on a stage, playing guitar, but I do know what it's like to find yourself out in a crowd on a freezing weekday night, newly freed from someone else's ideas about you and watching Annie Clark sound out the boundless, weird depths of her own desire. Loud. No apologies, no checking, no other someones. Just infinite power.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nassim wrote:
Rob wrote:Got tickets for Sleater-Kinney in Amsterdam on March 19. Still a new discovery for me, but really looking forward to it.
If they deliver as good a concert as yesterday you are in for a big treat. It's right at the top of my favorite concerts ever. I can't even remember a show in which the energy was so strong through the whole hall. The band clearly had a blast playing and the audience seemed to get more ecstatic with each new song (and they where much into it since the first). Even the opening act, Slow Worries - unknown by me - was a perfect match, as it should be, although they only open for Sleater-Kinney in Amsterdam I believe. A really wonderful evening this was and further proof that Sleater-Kinney is among the greatest hard rock bands of all time.

I saw a poster at the place announcing St. Vincent giving a concert in July. DocBrown and Nick make me seriously consider going. I'm also going to see Paul McCartney the 7th of June.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Kraftwerk, Utrecht, Tour de France Prologue Saturday the 4th of July, where they will be playing the whole Tour de France album with a 3D show
Public Enemy, Ter Rivierenhof, Antwerp on 14th of July
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Everyone has great concerts coming up! I'm excited to be moving to the UK just for all the shows I can start to attend.

I forgot to post about the Peaches show I went to last week. Probably one of the best live acts around (if you don't mind her style). So much energy and crowd interaction, not to mention the costume changes and sets! At one point a giant inflatable tube extended 10m over the crowd and she performed in it as they held her up. 10/10 must see (to believe)

Some pics (NSFW) are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/maschined ... ed-public/
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Interpol on Saturday!
mattschroeder
Are You Experienced?

Post by mattschroeder »

Just bought tickets to see Kraftwerk in September.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just bought tickets to see Blur in Madison Square Garden this October. One of only two shows they'll be playing in the US!!

Needless to say, I'm beyond excited.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote:
Nassim wrote:
If they deliver as good a concert as yesterday you are in for a big treat. It's right at the top of my favorite concerts ever. I can't even remember a show in which the energy was so strong through the whole hall. The band clearly had a blast playing and the audience seemed to get more ecstatic with each new song (and they where much into it since the first). Even the opening act, Slow Worries - unknown by me - was a perfect match, as it should be, although they only open for Sleater-Kinney in Amsterdam I believe. A really wonderful evening this was and further proof that Sleater-Kinney is among the greatest hard rock bands of all time.

I'm also going to see Paul McCartney the 7th of June.
Yes it was fantastic all along indeed, those girls are unstoppable. Standout moment for me was Rollercoaster which was outstanding from start to finish (and followed by Turn It On, what a treat), though the one-two punch of Entertain and Jumpers was also mind blowing ; and we had 2 encores !

Also saw Paul McCartney last week, was a nice evening because obviously he has great material to work with, but the sound in Stade de France is terrible and some of the crowd was really rude... still, singing Hey Jude with thousands of people is expectedly great, the fireworks for Live and Let Die were impressive and I got tons of shivers when Golden Slumbers started.
antonius wrote:Kraftwerk, Utrecht, Tour de France Prologue Saturday the 4th of July, where they will be playing the whole Tour de France album with a 3D show
Public Enemy, Ter Rivierenhof, Antwerp on 14th of July
I saw them earlier this year (or late last year ?), I picked the Radioactivity night which was the date that fitted the best and my 2nd choice after Computer World !
Anyway, after playing the albums they keep playing, for much longer, songs from other albums, including Autobahn, Trans Europe Express, 4 songs from the Man Machine, 3 from Computer World, Tour de France...
The 3D visuals are pretty cool (though one where a spaceship was landing along the concert venue was very ugly) but the band does not engage at all with the public and it's almost impossible to understand who is doing what. Most rearrangements were pretty great, except for the Computer World songs that for some reason they decided to slaughter, turning Computer Love into some terrible techno dance track.
Nick wrote:Just bought tickets to see Blur in Madison Square Garden this October. One of only two shows they'll be playing in the US!!

Needless to say, I'm beyond excited.
Saw them 2 days ago in Paris ! It was great, they really look like they are having fun, the songs from Magic Whip are working surprisingly well, though of course the peaks are their old hits where everybody goes crazy, from Song 2 to This Is A Low, For Tomorrow to Tender (which the audience kept singing for a while after they ended it) and what might have been my favorite moment, a magnificent Beetlebum.
Wasn't as fantastic as seeing them in Hyde Park a few years back (because they were playing at home, and because Parklife is not as good without Phil Daniels) but still a great evening.

Coming next :
La route du rock, I'm especially excited for Dan Deacon but I'm also looking forward to Savages, Ride, Father John Misty, Ratatat, Algiers and Lindstrom. I'm afraid I might have to skip the Juan McLean, I don't have the time table yet but Sunday is so stacked that they will most likely will be playing at the same time as something I won't want to miss. Same goes for Girl Band, but I saw them at a free venue recently so that's fine.
Oh and there's also Bjork, I'll let her to try to wash away the bad memories of seeing her at a festival.
Rock En Seine's Sunday : just because I can't miss a chance to see Parquet Courts and Run the Jewels again and because The Chemical Brothers might be my favorite active act that I haven't seen yet.
And Sufjan Stevens in December ! Last time I saw him was in my top 10 concerts of all time, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Have to check if there are still tickets available for Motorhead too, cause that's always a blast.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nassim wrote:Also saw Paul McCartney last week, was a nice evening because obviously he has great material to work with, but the sound in Stade de France is terrible and some of the crowd was really rude... still, singing Hey Jude with thousands of people is expectedly great, the fireworks for Live and Let Die were impressive and I got tons of shivers when Golden Slumbers started.
Yeah, I loves McCartney too. Luckily, the Ziggo Dome in Amsterdam always delivers great sound, so no complaints on that part. There wasn't a dull spot in the three hours he played. The moments you mentioned where highlights indeed, but my favorite part was actually spontaneous. When McCartney announced he was going to do a tribute song for John Lennon a group of girls in the front of the audience started to sing Give Peace a Chance. McCartney than jokingly said: "Forget about me. Let's listen to them sing." After that he started to accompany them on guitar. A fun little moment that just made everything seem more lively.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Robin Trower on 6/21 at the Filmore in SF.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Tonight : The John Williams music for the Spielberg films by l'Orchestre National de Lyon ! Yeah !
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

The Zombies are performing "Odessey and Oracle" at the Filmore West on 10/27.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Maschine_Man wrote:Everyone has great concerts coming up! I'm excited to be moving to the UK just for all the shows I can start to attend.
I just booked my first two shows! Lonelady in October and Julia Holter in November :music-listening:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Heading to "La Route du Rock" for the coming 3 days, probably the French festival with the most "AM friendly" line-up (though now that we have Paris Pitchfork, this might be a bit different).
Bjork has cancelled, but she has been replaced by Foals so I'm not too disappointed.
Sunday is especially exciting with Savages, Dan Deacon, the Juan McLean, Father John Misty, Viet Cong and Ride but on the other 2 days I'll also see Kiasmos (Olafur Arnalds project), Ratatat, Girl Band, Algiers, Lindstrom and others ! Should be a great week-end.

Beside that, upcoming concerts are Sufjan Stevens, Courtney Barnett and La Femme !
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

mattschroeder wrote:Just bought tickets to see Kraftwerk in September.
Is your show in Nashville by any chance? Going myself to see them there at the Ryman Auditorium at the end of September.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I was invited last minute to see Billy Joel last night at Madison Square Garden by a friend who had an extra ticket. I know he's not particularly popular on this forum, but he was great. :music-rockon:
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

I enjoyed his show more than I expected to this year at Bonnaroo but he closed his show awkwardly with time still scheduled to play so was left with kind of an odd taste especially given the fact that he was the final artist to close the entire weekend out.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

notdarkyet wrote:I enjoyed his show more than I expected to this year at Bonnaroo but he closed his show awkwardly with time still scheduled to play so was left with kind of an odd taste especially given the fact that he was the final artist to close the entire weekend out.
He left early? That's surprising. He played for over two and a half hours yesterday. He had six encore songs I believe.
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

I'm seeing Polyphonic Spree in September, and Deerhunter/Gang of Four in October!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Joanna Newsom in November :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening: It's the same week as Julia Holter #blessed
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Wednesday I'm going to see Lady Lamb in Merleyn in Nijmegen. Considering my love for Bird Balloons and her debut album in general, my expectation are high. Still haven't had time to listen to her second album, but I'm going to do that a lot the coming days.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Saw Her Madgesty in Brooklyn this past Saturday. It was a very last-minute decision, as I wasn't planning to go. Well worth it- the woman never ceases to amaze.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm going to see Blur in NYC on Friday!!!!! With Courtney Barnett opening!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Listyguy wrote:I was invited last minute to see Billy Joel last night at Madison Square Garden by a friend who had an extra ticket. I know he's not particularly popular on this forum, but he was great. :music-rockon:
Interesting fact about Billy Joel. He came to my university to do a talk. I was working on the event, so got to have a picture with him and everything. Anyway, throughout the event, which was a Q&A plus a couple of songs, he kept on holding on to this mug of tea that he had made for him. When it finished, I was on tidy up, and went to the mug and realised that it was full of 100% warm whisky :o
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Just saw the Zombies at the Filmore. It was their last concert on their US tour. They were very good. The first half of the concert featured some hits from the past and some songs from their new album. The second half of the concert included the complete Odyssey and Oracle album. They then played an extended version of "She's Not There" as an encore.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

After some dry months concert-wise, I got tickets this week for Joanna Newsom in Nijmegen on the 28th of February (literally on the corner were I live) and Elton John on the 22nd of November. That's a wile away, still. Looking forward to both.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I've got tickets to see Tame Impala in Brooklyn with a couple of friends this summer. Should be awesome!
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I have recently booked The Villagers for Feb, Damien Jurado for March and Grimes for April.

The Primavera lineup was almost too good to miss out on, but I held strong. I'm thinking of going to Field Day for PJ Harvey, John Grant and Beach House in the summer, though.
hectorthebat
Unquestionable Presence

Post by hectorthebat »

Sounds like a few people have caught Joanna Newsom, and now I am too - got tickets to see her in March.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Just got tickets to see Ty Segall & The Muggers here in Hamburg in June. Also gonna see Public Service Broadcasting in Berlin in two weeks. I saw them once on a festival, way too drunk, but the parts I remember were really fun. I've also never seen Ty Segall live so I'm really stoked for both shows.
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

I haven't been to a non-festival concert in ages, but I'm very pleased with my recent purchase of Grimes tickets in L.A. for April (alongside Christine and the Queens) :music-listening:
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I got tickets for Pitchfork for their Saturday lineup. Sufjan Stevens, Brian Wilson performing Pet Sounds, Anderson .Paak, Holly Herndon, Jenny Hval, Savages, and Super Furry Animals!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

She doesn't seem to get too much love around this forum, but tonight I'm seeing Kaki King (who I consider the best living guitarist) at LACMA.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”