Concerts you have coming up

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: Concerts you have coming up

Post by Jirin »

I’m seeing Hadestown on Broadway tomorrow.

As someone who’s championed the album since it came out, I just couldn’t go to New York and not see it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The show had basically all the songs from the album with some verses added or removed and much more talented singers. Very cool after listening to it for a decade to see it acted out.

The biggest differences is they added Hermes as a narrator to give narrative and thematic connectivity and make certain plot points much more explicit.

I wonder if I’d enjoy Broadway soundtracks more if they released versions more like the Hadestown album. Cut down to 75 or so minutes with songs edited to work as standalone pieces without the visuals, and the connective tissue parts removed.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just saw Kraftwerk last night. The music was amazing, the 3D visuals were amazing. If you have the chance to see them, you gotta go.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Seeing Paul McCartney tonight. My excitement level is off the charts!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Listyguy wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:31 pm Seeing Paul McCartney tonight. My excitement level is off the charts!
Well, it was amazing. Not only did Paul play a lot of great stuff, but Bruce Springsteen showed up and played " Glory Days" and helped out on a few other songs. There was a threat of rain all night but the weather held out too. I couldn't have asked for a better show.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^Always a win when the musicians match your energy! (guests help too)

Sharron Van Etten tonight and Harry Styles on the weekend. I booked Julia Holter sound-tracking the 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' (1928) with a chorus later on in the year.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/20 ... oan-of-arc
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I saw Wilco yesterday! Great show! You can check the setlist, with 7 songs from the last album. This fact (the last album is mellow and laid-back), united to the absence of Nels Cline (he is positive for COVID-19), made for a quite intimate show. And Jeff Tweedy got the opportunity to show his skills as lead guitarist, making a worthy substitute for Cline. They didn't dare with "Impossible Germany" though...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Question for everyone: how do you find out about concerts in your area that you want to attend? Is there any kind of centralized system for this? I ask because I only today learned about Bruce Springsteen's upcoming tour, and I missed the first chance to get tickets.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Listyguy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:51 pm Question for everyone: how do you find out about concerts in your area that you want to attend? Is there any kind of centralized system for this? I ask because I only today learned about Bruce Springsteen's upcoming tour, and I missed the first chance to get tickets.
I don't go to many concerts anymore but I find out primarily through twitter, as I've found most artists have twitter feeds and will announce tours far ahead of ticket sales.

As an aside, apparently the Bruce ticket sales in the U.S. were a complete mess through Ticketmaster, with shows selling out during presale and resale tix offered at mile-high prices. Springsteen management has formally apologized to fans, but many are left with a bad taste. Ticketmaster is utterly ridiculous.
VacantJoy
Leader of the Pack

Post by VacantJoy »

Listyguy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:51 pm Question for everyone: how do you find out about concerts in your area that you want to attend? Is there any kind of centralized system for this? I ask because I only today learned about Bruce Springsteen's upcoming tour, and I missed the first chance to get tickets.
yes i use viva for my country,i went to Godspeed You Black Emperor 11 days ago it was amazing!
DONATIONS TOWARDS ME -> https://revolut.me/anastagf0s
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely be using it in the future!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just bought tickets to Field Day 2022 in London this August. I’ll be seeing The Chemical Brothers, Kraftwerk, and Peggy Gou, among others. It’ll also be my first time overseas!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Saw Kamasi Washington last night at the Guild Theater in Menlo Park, CA.

The setlist was:

The Garden Path.
Street Fighter Mas.
Sun Kissed Child.
Hub-Tones.
The Rhythm Changes.
Mutha Afrika.
Fists of Fury.

The first two songs sort of blended together for me at the concert. Both were good with lots of solo opportunities for member of the band and Kamasi.

Kamasi's father was to his right on stage and provided a very good flute solo during this part of the concert.

Sun Kissed Child has never been one of my faves, so I was not thrilled with it during the concert. Kamasi introduced the song with a very heartwarming discussion of his young daughter who inspired the song.

After discussing my lack of affection for the song with my friend and predicting that the concert would probably get better, I was very disappointed with Hub-Tones which was clearly the low-point of the concert. Kamasi's dad did a soprano sax solo that was very boring. After the concert, I chatted with other attendees who declared that the sound mix was also off for Hub-Tones.

The Rhythm Changes was the highlight of the concert for me with excellent trombone and sax solos. As I recall the drummer to Kasami's right provided a very nice solo on this song as well.

Mutha Afrika highlighted the keyboardist's chops.

Fists of Fury was also very good, but the instrumentalist solos were not as good as those on The Rhythm Changes. The solo by the other drummer was decent, but not as good as the earlier drum solo.

The bass player (perhaps Joshua Crumbly) was fantastic.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

Just saw Chicago/Brian Wilson in Cincinnati.

Chicago still giving strong energetic show with most of the originals intact. They have a new disc even.

Brian though. Wow. He is not looking good these days. I would not be surprised if he leaves us soon. 😔
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I saw Fleet Foxes in Atlanta this weekend. They had a large band including a brass section and played a wide selection of songs throughout their career. Robin Pecknold is really an incredible talent, he was live singing and playing guitar for two hours straight and sounded impeccable. Would definitely recommend seeing them if you're interested at all in the group.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

About to see LCD Soundsystem momentarily in San Francisco!
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Phenomenal show. They’re fantastic, that was so much fun
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Seeing Van Morrison tonight. Should be great!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

If all goes well, I'll be seeing Weird Al at Carnegie Hall in October. The only reason I'm not sure is - and here's a bit of life news I haven't been able to figure out how to share here but I'm very happy to - I'm one of the performers in Sesame Street: The Musical off-Broadway! It's been a super cool process getting to work alongside some really incredible puppeteers. If we ever make the jump to Europe, Latin America, or Oceania, you folks will be the first to know!
(And FYI, the show has co-productions and dubs all over the world, so if memory serves based on the most frequent posters here, the way you'd know of the show this one is based on is as Sesamstraat in the Netherlands, Sesamstrasse in Germany, Rue Sesame in France [its most famous version was in the '70s], Svenska Sesam in Sweden, Vila Sesamo in Brazil, Plaza Sésamo in Latin America, Barrio Sésamo in Spain, Ulica Sezamkowa in Poland...and any of y'all from English-speaking countries already know what it is. And if you haven't: look it up! Oh, and Vacantjoy, my Greek buddy, Sesame Street isn't very popular in your neck of the woods as far as I'm aware, but I did find one clip of an old sketch dubbed into Greek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kczAh7T ... rchkafrous)
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Congratulations, Stevie! And now I know why you are so knowledgeable on Sesamstraat!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:46 am Congratulations, Stevie! And now I know why you are so knowledgeable on Sesamstraat!
Thanks Rob! Yeah, I’ve been researching for this role since I was three or so lol.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

So Mimi Parker has cancer, Zack de la Rocha is tired and Win Butler is a sexual predator so that's most of the concerts I had for the end of the year that either are cancelled or I won't go to...
Hopefully nothing happens to Tropical Fuck Storm until next Monday...
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Bonnie Raitt and Mavis Staples at the Greek Theater in Berkeley was a worthwhile adventure.

Many attendees arrived a bit late for the concert because there were some intense rain showers within 30 minutes of the start time.

We saw the last 5-7 songs by Mavis including superb renditions of Respect Yourself and I'll Take You There. I believe that Mavis is no longer a youngster, and showed tremendous energy, emotion and skill during her set.

The Bonnie Raitt set included the following songs:

No Business
Blame It On Me
Nick of Time
Back Around
Just Like That
Something to Talk About
Livin' for the Ones
Need You Tonight
Have a Heart
Angel From Montgomery
Burning Down the House
I Can't Make You Love Me
Not the Only One
Longing in Their Hearts

I was hoping for a duet with Mavis and hoped it would be on the song Something to Talk About. My friend was hoping for Nick of Time. But, there was no duet.

As I recall (I need to listen again to confirm), No Business was a good song and performed well. My first observation was that the mix was as good as any I have ever heard. So clear and crisp. My second observation was that one of the first songs (probably Blame It On Me) sounded somewhat derivative of Steely Dan and perhaps two of the songs on Aja (Black Cow and either Peg or Home at Last). I am admittedly not too familiar with the songs from Bonnie's two most recent albums.

Nick of Time was great and her vocals improved so much for this song, that I still had hope that she would provide us with I Can't Make You Love Me as I had been hoping.

As I recall, Back Around was pleasant, but a bit slow. I heard a very slight derivation from Steely Dan, perhaps Babylon Sister. Probably would rate this performance as better than none of the songs, except the finale.

I may be off by a song or two with these Steely Dan comparisons.

I need to refresh my memory regarding the performance of the Just Like That song.

Something to Talk About was great. This was the first song that motivated sustained toe-tapping for me.

Livin' for the Ones was based on a very heartwarming story and was quite enjoyable.

Need You Tonight was a very big surprise and was fantastic. I asked which Australian performer was better than INXS and some folks suggested Midnight Oil.

Have a Heart was very good.

Bonnie did a fabulous job with Angel From Montgomery.

Burning Down the House was rockin' and remains perhaps my favorite Talking Heads song.

I Can't Make You Love Me featured very impressive vocal by Bonnie. There was a minor two note blip by the keyboard player but I was competely satisfied with this performance of the song.

Not the Only One was a worthy encore song.

Longing in Their Hearts was pretty good, but not as good as most of the other songs tonight.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Just saw The National. They put on an excellent show. They also played a decent amount of new material, I get the feeling an album is forthcoming.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

Petra and Randy Stonehill October 14th, Versailles, Ohio.

Happy birthday to me...
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Joe Satriani at the Fox Theater in Oakland, CA put on a great show.

The sound mixing was not as crisp as Bonnie Raitt at the Greek last month, but the energy and technical brilliance was tremendous.

Kenny Aronoff was the band's drummer.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Sonoma Harvest Music Festival this weekend at BR Cohn winery in Glen Ellen.

Gary Clark Jr and Portugal the Man: Headliners!

Also: Phantogram, Lovelytheband, Thievery Corporation, Anderson East, Magic Giant and more! Can't wait!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Went to see Smashing Pumpkins and Jane’s Addiction and the opening act was Poppy. So bonus!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Just saw Otoboke Beaver. Most charismatic band I've ever seen; I think I'm in love with the energetic guitarist Yoyoshie, and even the low key bassist Hiro-chan winked at the audience. I felt like a girl on the Ed Sullivan Show watching the Beatles. Tight performance. They had to set up all their own gear, and it was so cute to me that before the show Yoyoshie pulled out a translucent folder with neat photocopies of the setlist and started passing them out to her bandmates like she's turning in her ninth grade homework. As Yoyoshie said, please give them more money, they deserve it.

P.S. Apparently they praised the shrimp in San Francisco, which is weird as a native San Franciscan.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Saw Tame Impala the other night. It was a good show, but something felt off about it. Think there was something about the excess of lights and sound that actually took a lot away from the show. Not only was there a huge screen with overcooked visuals (after an interesting introduction video that wasn't referenced again), but also a hive of lights all over the stage, and oh! a giant floating ring-light/smoke machine (its use also under-done). Then there was the audio, which without earplugs actually hurt. The epileptic inducing lights and wall of sound just seemed to shove the experience down our throats, rather than offered for us to saviour.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Maschine_Man wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:11 am Saw Tame Impala the other night. It was a good show, but something felt off about it. Think there was something about the excess of lights and sound that actually took a lot away from the show. Not only was there a huge screen with overcooked visuals (after an interesting introduction video that wasn't referenced again), but also a hive of lights all over the stage, and oh! a giant floating ring-light/smoke machine (its use also under-done). Then there was the audio, which without earplugs actually hurt. The epileptic inducing lights and wall of sound just seemed to shove the experience down our throats, rather than offered for us to saviour.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

I hear ya Maschine Man. I saw TI at the Austin City Limits festival pre-pandemic and they were AWESOME. Kevin Parker AND his guitar were front and center for most of the show. There were plenty of lights, video and smoke theatrics but they were not so 'over the top' as to be annoying. Fast forward to last year's showing at the Innings festival in Arizona and my experience was just like yours. Way too much stimulation. It was so loud you couldn't really discern lyrics nor melody. Unless they tone it down quite a bit I probably won't be seeing them again anytime soon.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

It's too bad you guys had experiences like that. I've only seen Tame Impala once, in 2016, but it ruled.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Yeah, I thought they were great in 2019!
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

So I had 2 tickets for a 3 day festival at which Low was a curator and headliner, but I ended up going by myself to watch only 6 bands over the weekend, what a good use of my money !

Anyway :
- Goat Girl : pretty nice set, at their best some Stereolab/Electrelane vibe (yes, it's a mostly female band, I guess I'm doing my associations based on the singing voice and style). The chorus and verses sometimes feel like they come from 2 different songs, not in a good way, but a good time overall with some really nice guitar play
- Gilla Band : they still kick ass, though not as much as they used to. Disappointed they didn't play Paul and/or Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage (but we got Pears for Lunch and Lawman at least). They lights were pretty fantastic throughout the concert, it's not something I usually notice but here it added a lot of style, especially when enhancing the frenziest part (to which they are quite a few) and the rhythm changes.
- Crack Cloud : great set, the singer/drummer, the orange headed guitarist and the multi instrumentalist caveman are packed with charisma which distracts from how stoic the other members are (safe for the harpist but it's not an instrument you can move much with). The songs were really great, they felt tight, move like a 7 person unit fully in sync, but still with some freedom for the band to play around a bit ; I hadn't listened to their latest album yet but I will correct that right away.
- Los Bitchos : good for them, they seemed to have fun and happy to be there, couldn't care less for their music though
- Special Interest : a big letdown ; not too sure if the blame should be on the band or the technical team but the sound was terrible. On the album they sound big, noisy and dangerous but you clearly head everything, here it was a big mush with just the electronic drum beat sticking out, the guitar often saturating, the voice at times barely audible. It's really a shame because Alli Logout is a charismatic force to be reckoned with (maybe too eager to antagonize the audience though), but only Street Pulse Beat and Midnight Legend were close to on par with their on album version.
- Black Country New Road : given the circumstances, they didn't do too bad. Touring after the release of the most acclaimed album of the year and not being able (or willing ?) to play any song from it can't be easy to handle but they managed to pull an hour of original material. Ants From Up There bring to my mind a lot of 00s indie influences (though not Arcade Fire as much as I hear them mentioned) and it's the same here : some Los Campesinos, some Joanna Newsom, some Dodos, some Decemberists... it's all very lovely but it lacks a bit of bite and sparks. I could see the pianist carving a nice indie folk solo career for herself, and the bass player really have a wonderful voice. We'll see if the band can manage another critical darling (not sure) but they should be able to pull consistant work like Los Campesinos did through the years.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Tomorrow is my birthday, and is also the date of the verified fan presale for Taylor Swift's Eras Tour. habby birthday to me :>

Also I'm seeing MJ Lenderman and Plains (Waxahatchee and Jess Williamson) on Thursday hype
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Dragged my band geek percussionist brother to see MJ Lenderman and Plains with me last night. I was ensorcelled. Lenderman's band played "Toontown" very differently live. The slow parts are slower, the intense parts are so much more intense. Brother pointed out that the drummer had a sizzler on his hi-hat, which is more commonly used on a ride cymbal. I thought maybe he was just looking for a place to hang up his mardi gras beads. "You Have Bought Yourself a Boat" sounded fucking rad live, too -- I think I was hearing a lot of harmonies that I was not hearing on the studio recording. They didn't play "You Are Every Girl to Me", which is one of my favorites. But it was a great set, ending on a very dramatic, theatrical rendition of "Tastes Just Like it Costs."

I was there to see Lenderman, but you could tell most of the crowd was there for Plains. And boy, they went wild for Plains.

Was lucky to get some halfway-decent photos of Katie and Jess, at least by phone-camera-at-concert standards.

I connected to these songs a lot more in a five-story vaudeville house full of people vibing to them. I have a whole new appreciation for "Abilene" after hearing this crowd go totally apeshit at the climactic fermata and pause. Brother enjoyed Plains as well, praising the varied and technically sophisticated drumming. Of course my favorite part was when they brought Lenderman back out for the encore:

These guys were having such a good time. It was really fun to watch. They played "Success" in honor of Loretta Lynn, a song called "Hunter" off of an unnamed artist's unreleased, unannounced upcoming album, and a Waxahatchee song Katie's still working on, whose name I do not recall, but which sounded gorgeous.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm seeing Big Thief in February!

Also, my friend was gifted two Taylor Swift tickets from her parents as an early Christmas present and she asked me to come along. It should be pretty great! The concert is in May. A shame about the Ticketmaster debacle though.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Next show is a surprise.

A high school acquaintance of mine, Tommy Lafferty, is a guitarist who has played in many rock bands (light metal genre in my opinion). In my recollection, I haven't seen Tommy since 1973 (when I graduate from high school). We have made some attempts in recent years to get together, but no luck so far.

Many of the songs that include Tommy's guitar can be found on Discogs at https://www.discogs.com/artist/908592-Tommy-Lafferty

Tommy has been hired to play with a local punk band named Hyperdrive Kittens. They are performing on 1/14 at a local bar (The Quarter Note - in Sunnyvale, CA).

One of their songs is available on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHwk9zl4Jg -

My expectations are not high, but it could be fun.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Saw Big Thief last night and it was great. Buck Meek (their guitarist) opened with his band. Awesome show!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Spotify gave me a notification of an LCD Soundsystem show going on presale, and sold it through AXS, not Ticketmaster. I approve of this trend. I wish it would do that for the less famous bands I listen to a lot.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This time I registered for the presale, still an uphill battle to actually get the tickets though. For anyone else who missed out last time, there's a few more days to sign up!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I'm seeing Caroline Polachek and (probably) M83 in April
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I saw Weyes Blood the other week in London. Love her to bits. First time I've ever just stood there and thought "huh, your voice is really beautiful." Her set was basically just all the hits from the last two albums which she performed very faithfully but it just came to life a bit more, I dunno. Her stage presence was pretty spacey and San Francisco-ey if that makes sense, was not expecting it whatsoever because the music is so earnest!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

This is my current line-up for the first half of the year:

April 2: The Bach Choir & Orchestra of the Netherlands - Mattheus Passion - Stevenskerk, Nijmegen
April 25: Bill Callahan - Paradiso, Amsterdam
May 19: Otoboke Beaver - Doornroosje, Nijmegen
May 26: Lingua Ignota - Tivoli, Utrecht
June 28: Spiritualized - Paradiso, Amsterdam

Not sure if Spiritualized is the band or the Acclaimed Forum user, but we'll see.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I’m seeing Peggy Gou next Friday in NYC!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The Cure recently announced a North American tour, and are doing a pre-registration that will be open for a few more days if anyone is looking to see them.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Next week I have three shows over the course of five days: Magnetic Fields, LCD Soundsystem, The Cure.

LCD Soundsystem the only one of those I've seen before.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:46 pm I'm seeing Big Thief in February!

Also, my friend was gifted two Taylor Swift tickets from her parents as an early Christmas present and she asked me to come along. It should be pretty great! The concert is in May. A shame about the Ticketmaster debacle though.
The Taylor Swift show was amazing. Now I'm seeing Dan Deacon tomorrow and Tears for Fears in the summer.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’m at the Magnetic Fields show now. This place is surprisingly divey for a band of their stature. But now I’m not sure I have LCD Soundsystem tickets. I put them in my calendar for a reason. But I can’t find evidence in either Ticketmaster or AXS. And it seems it’s actually part of a festival. Time will tell.

Other shows I have tickets for are First Aid Kit, Janelle Monae and Funkadelic.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Stephen Merritt looks like Larry The Cable Guy and it makes the show kinda weird. But great show.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”