Why is Eminem popular? popular?

LilyAldrin
Debut

Why is Eminem popular? popular?

Post by LilyAldrin »

When other rappers were rapping about chics, parties, booze, and drugs Eminem 'came up from behind and pretty much snuck up and beat this game up'. He started rapping about his childhood, and the hardships he faced, and because so many people have lived what Eminem has been through they felt like there is something common between him and them, and as a result, they felt connected.

Although 'he shouldn't have to rhyme these words in a rhythm for you to know it's a rap', Eminem possesses a god-like rhythm sense which is quite evident from "People say that the word ‘orange’ doesn’t rhyme with anything, and that kind of pisses me off, because I can think of a lot of things that rhyme with orange… If you enunciate it and make it more than one syllable — orange — you could say, like, ‘I put my orange four-inch door hinge in storage and ate porridge with George.'”

One more factor contributing to his popularity is his lyrics and quotes.
1. Motivation- "You can make something of your life, it just depends on your drive".
2. Vengeance- "Thanks cuz your hate is what gave me this strength".
3. Emotional- "Love is just a word, but YOU bring it definition".
4. Self-respecting- "And I am, whatever you say I am If I wasn't, then why would I say I am".
5. Humor-"I don't hate women- they just sometimes make me mad".
6. Insulting- "Every time I think of you I puke".
7. Out-of-the-box-"And Love is 'evil' spell it backward I'll show you".

And of course his attitude towards life.
https://musicdope80s.com/ we love rap music
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Re: Why is Eminem popular? popular?

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

Unfortunately, what this thread shows is either a peraon who hasnt dived deep into the 90s hop hop scene Eminem was born out of of is seeing things with rose coloured glasses.

I am not here to claim I am a hip hop expert but outside of the pure radio mainstream, most rappers talked about more than chicks, gangs, booze etc. 2Pac, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, Beastie Boys, Biggie, UGK, Dr. Dre, etc all rapped more thank just party rap. And to your bullett points, many other rappers, infact some of the most popular ones at the time like Pac were super motivational, at least to their communities. Early hip hop is also filled with humor as well as insulting diss tracks, vengeance, and emotions.

I am not trying to argue that Eminem wasnt more popular than those who came before because he def had a bigger impact on the mainstream. But in my opinion it is hard to ignore the fact that much of his popularity rose from the color of his skin. Even as a fan of his early work it is hard for me to defend his "god like flow" since after the late 00s he seems locked in either fast rapping or shock bars.
Edre the Depeche Head

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”