Songs of 2022 Discussion Thread

ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Songs of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by ProjectTermina »

Songs. They're all the rage! Do you listen to songs sometimes? Talk about them here.

BleuPanda told me to make this thread and I told them I didn't think I'd lurked enough, but for Pete's sake someone's got to do it so we can talk about Caroline Polachek.

This song has everything you could want: religious imagery that's numinously spooky almost to the point of blasphemy, AND cum metaphors. What is this, my honeymoon?

Aforementioned ethereal quality is augmented by Polachek's eerily beautiful voice. Music video adds to the effect as well. Worth a watch!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: Songs of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Jackson »

That song and music video are awesome, her album this year is set up to be huge.

I might pay through the nose to see the Dua/Caroline tour this year.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Jackson wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 pm That song and music video are awesome, her album this year is set up to be huge.

I might pay through the nose to see the Dua/Caroline tour this year.
Shit, I might have to go see them too. The question is, do I see them in Chicago? Or is it worth trying to get out to Denver/Tulsa/Phoenix to see them perform with Megan Thee Stallion? This could be thee most important decision of my life.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Happy Mixtape Monday! My offering for you all today is 19 minutes long and contains three somewhat low-key and atmospheric, yet hooky songs that I have been falling in love with over the last week or two.

Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/a8137 ... 612238c410
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ojBF ... I0nsm8PL7h
  • "No More Kissing In The Rain" by Trentemøller from Memoria, released February 11th, is a lush synthscape that you can jam to, cry to, or both.
  • "Help Yourself To Me" by Madrugada from Chimes at Midnight, released January 28th, is a smoky rock ballad with gravitas. I feel like if Chris Stapleton did this song it could really effectively soundtrack the dying embers of a night of drinking in rural Missouri. (that's good)
  • "The Spaces In Between" by 40 Watt Sun from Perfect Light, released January 21st. Crushing.
Freely given for anyone or no one to enjoy all or part of. What have you been playing on repeat lately?
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

ProjectTermina wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:48 pm Happy Mixtape Monday! My offering for you all today is 19 minutes long and contains three somewhat low-key and atmospheric, yet hooky songs that I have been falling in love with over the last week or two.

Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/a8137 ... 612238c410
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0ojBF ... I0nsm8PL7h
  • "No More Kissing In The Rain" by Trentemøller from Memoria, released February 11th, is a lush synthscape that you can jam to, cry to, or both.
  • "Help Yourself To Me" by Madrugada from Chimes at Midnight, released January 28th, is a smoky rock ballad with gravitas. I feel like if Chris Stapleton did this song it could really effectively soundtrack the dying embers of a night of drinking in rural Missouri. (that's good)
  • "The Spaces In Between" by 40 Watt Sun from Perfect Light, released January 21st. Crushing.
Freely given for anyone or no one to enjoy all or part of. What have you been playing on repeat lately?
40 Watt Sun, funnily enough, but with 'Reveal'. Keep meaning to listen to Madrugada, it's on my (extremely long) list.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I'm always lagging behind at the beginning of the year, so my "on repeat" tracks are my 2021 top 10 tracks mostly.
Gay Agenda from Shamir's new album is pretty great though, the album starts very strong but unfortunately falls in quality after the 3rd track.

Anyway, just meant to say I really enjoy your posts ProjectTermina !
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:14 pm 40 Watt Sun, funnily enough, but with 'Reveal'. Keep meaning to listen to Madrugada, it's on my (extremely long) list.
"Reveal" is also beautiful. As for Madrugada, I know Gillingham really liked Chimes at Midnight. I'd like to give that album another, more attentive listen at some point. I remember being really impressed by "Help Yourself To Me" and "The World Could Be Falling Down," the latter of which, come to think of it, is also a really good song to listen to under string lights at 1am with a belly full of beer and pulled pork.
Nassim wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:30 pm Gay Agenda from Shamir's new album is pretty great though, the album starts very strong but unfortunately falls in quality after the 3rd track.
I'd also like to give Heterosexuality a more attentive listen. (The tracks that caught my attention the most on first listen were 4, 5, and 7... lol)
Nassim wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:30 pm Anyway, just meant to say I really enjoy your posts ProjectTermina !
I'm glad! 😊
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

I enjoy your posts too ProjectTermina. And I also enjoyed the Shamir album - will probably play track 7 on my show this week.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

The whole range of emotions last night: Excitement when Spotify told me there was a new single by Low, dismay when I heard how bad it was, relief when I found out from their Twitter feed that it wasn't by Low at all. Don't be fooled people!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Current SOTY: Simulation Swarm. Maybe a Big Thief’s best song ever? Cattails and Not make it a hard award to pass on but my god this song.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

I was gonna wait for a Mixtape Monday to post this song, but it's so kickass that it deserves a post of its own.

"Six Hills" by Lewsberg is the latest 7" single from Speedy Wunderground Records. Here's how Speedy Wunderground works: A band comes to Dan Carey's studio in south London. They record a song. The recording is done in one day, then Carey produces the song in one day. No lunch breaks! Then they press a couple hundred 7" singles and send them out to shops ASAP. Speedy Wunderground Records will not be slow.

Lewsberg is a band from Rotterdam. They are touring the Netherlands all through March, so if you're in that area, maybe check em out. This is a simple song, built around one really excellent guitar riff, delivered with dry Dutch politeness/venom. Truly a modern-day Mecca of punk rock and delicious sprinkles!
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Hey, it's Mixtape Monday! My offering for you today is four songs spanning 16 minutes and 20 seconds.

Tidal: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/b75db ... 3f98c8a7c1

• "Crutch" by Band of Horses from Things Are Great, released March 4, is a driving pop-rock jam with crunchy distorted guitars and precise pop songwriting that's almost as addictive as the pills Ben Bridwell is singing about.
  • "The Kingdom is Within You" by Gang of Youths from Angel in Realtime, released February 25, is a tribute to every immigrant who's been fucked over by the conquering masters and goes on living in spite. In particular, its heart is with the Pasifika peoples, such as the Maori from whom David Le'aupepe descends.
  • "Reproductive" by Shamir from Heterosexuality, released February 11, is the best song on that album, now that I've had time to think about it. A beaten-down Shamir vows to break the cycle of abuse and trauma, simply because he must in order to survive.
  • "On the Floor" by Superchunk from Wild Loneliness, released February 25, is utterly gorgeous and kind of depressing. Superchunk's last album was a lash of anger against a culture of willful ignorance. (I think so at least, I actually haven't heard it yet, can you believe that?) Years later, anger gives way to lingering fear. "On the Floor" is an ode to loving each other in the face of the prospect of total annihilation.
Freely given for anyone or no one to enjoy all or part of. What songs released this year do you think are underrated?
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Happy Mixtape Monday again! I've got another one for ya. This one's a little more groovy, scattershot and obnoxious. It is five songs totaling 17:20.

https://tidal.com/playlist/bc8e8d38-371 ... b516847482

• "It's Good to Be Back" is a bouncy electro-pop earworm and single off of Metronomy's new album, Small World, released February 18. I don't know anything about Metronomy. BleuPanda seems to know who they are, although I don't know if their opinion is positive or negative. Do you give a shit about Metronomy? Let me know in the comments down below, and don't forget to hike and subside.
  • "Protection from Evil" is a frantic industrial labyrinth of distortion that Tidal recommended to me, yay! It is a lead single off of Ibibio Sound Machine's upcoming album Electricity (out March 25). This shit slaps, I probably should have put it first so it would be the one song you're most likely to hear. I picked Metronomy for flow reasons though.
  • "Postman" is another Tidal rec, lead single off Toro Y Moi's upcoming album Mahal, out April 29th. The high point is the screamed adlibs, although the funky groove is good too.
  • You probably all already know "Darjeeling" off of FKA Twigs's new album Caprisongs. I like to highlight songs and albums that aren't already getting a lot of buzz in the community, but every now and again there's an exception. Caprisongs from January 14 largely didn't resonate with me. Still, I marked a few songs on the latter half of the album to return to, and this one is really compelling. I adore the stuttering string line and drill bass. I like it enough that I felt like it belongs on a Mixtape Monday, and thought it would flow well in this context.
  • If you've been sleeping on Mary J Blige's new album from February 11, Good Morning Gorgeous, , you're missing out. "Need Love" was an immediate standout, for me at least -- I'm really into this sort of sultry-yet-upbeat R&B thing. Usher is good, also.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

The new Arcade Fire song is fantastic. My SOTY so far.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Some favorites so far...

Nilufer Yanya - midnight sun
Hatchie - Giving the World Away
Wet Leg - Angelica
Carolina Polachek - Billions
Big Thief - Simulation Swarm
Stromae - L'enfer
Black Country, New Road - The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A tentative top ten, in alphabetical order:

Arcade Fire- The Lightning I, II
Big Thief- Spud Infinity
Black Country, New Road- Basketball Shoes
Black Country, New Road- Snow Globes
Black Country, New Road- The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
Caroline Polachek- Billions
Charli XCX- Baby
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Black Hot Soup (DJ Shadow “My Own Reality” Re-Write)
Pusha T- Diet Coke
The Weeknd- Sacrifice
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but the new Arcade Fire tracks are awesome.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

A very preliminary Top 60 which might change by tomorrow. A lot of the stuff here doesn't seem to get as much attention as it should unfortunately. What seems to get attention, though, is the mostly boring new Arcade Fire track. What a world...

1 | Anthropods | Forest Capers
2 | Véhémence | Par le glaive
3 | Akira Sakata & Takeo Moriyama | Mitochondria
4 | John Aylward | Ananke
5 | Asleep Country | Lumina Aeternae
6 | Keeley Forsyth | I Stand Alone
7 | Somi | Hapo Zamani
8 | Kee Avil | I too, bury
9 | Andris Dzenītis | Symphony No. 2, „Silts vējš“ (Warm Wind)
10 | Black Country, New Road | Snow Globes

11 | Alexander Hawkins Mirror Canon | Stamped Down, or Shovelled
12 | Oles Brothers & Dominik Strycharski | Asoman
13 | Asleep Country | Helvetic Sylph
14 | Dmitri Smirnov | Concerto-Piccolo, op. 127 (History of Russia in 4 Anthems)
15 | Kee Avil | See, my shadow
16 | Francesca Remigi | The Human Web
17 | Oles Brothers & Dominik Strycharski | Mazí
18 | Immanuel Wilkins ft. Farafina Kan Percussion Ensemble | Don‘t Break
19 | Black Flower | O Fogo
20 | John Aylward | Narcissus

21 | Anthropods | One Way
22 | Keeley Forsyth | Land Animal
23 | Big Thief | Blue Lightning
24 | Foxtails | paper tiger
25 | 40 Watt Sun | Reveal
26 | Wolfgang Rihm | Stabat mater
27 | Immolation | Apostle
28 | Francesca Remigi | Metamorfosi
29 | Black Country, New Road | The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
30 | Akira Sakata & Takeo Moriyama | Chiasma

31 | La Colonie de Vacances | L‘Odio Ha Pazienza
32 | Somi ft. Msaki | Khuluma
33 | caroline | Skydiving onto the library roof
34 | Kee Avil | And I
35 | Everything Everything | Bad Friday
36 | Foxtails | gazelle
37 | Alexander Hawkins Mirror Canon | Stride Rhyme Gospel
38 | Francesca Remigi | Mere Appearance & True Being
39 | Immanuel Wilkins | Shadow
40 | Binker and Moses | Asynchronous Intervals

41 | Asleep Country | Alpineers Lost
42 | Anthropods | Home
43 | Immolation | Let the Darkness In
44 | La Colonie de Vacances | Alex Weir
45 | Immanuel Wilkins | Emanation
46 | Piotr Kurek | World Speaks
47 | Kee Avil | saf
48 | Immolation | Immoral Stain
49 | 40 Watt Sun | The Spaces in Between
50 | Binker and Moses | After the Machine Settles

51 | Immolation | An Act of God
52 | Keeley Forsyth | Bring Me Water
53 | Matmos | Flight to Sodom / Lot do Salo
54 | Big Thief | No Reason
55 | Alexander Hawkins Mirror Canon | Faint Making Stones
56 | Keeley Forsyth | Limbs
57 | BAMBARA | Slither in the Rain
58 | Foxtails | space orphan
59 | Black Flower ft. Meskerem Mees | Morning in the Jungle
60 | deathcrash | Wrestle with Jimmy
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Holden wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:49 am Current SOTY: Simulation Swarm. Maybe a Big Thief’s best song ever? Cattails and Not make it a hard award to pass on but my god this song.
Aye.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Following up from last years fantastic album, Flock, Jane Weaver has smashed it out of the park with the rumbling Oblique Fantasy : https://ffm.to/sw040_janeweaver

Other bops on repeat:
As It Was - Harry Styles
K Hole - Alex Cameron
Lawn - Aldous Harding
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Arcade Fire's "Unconditional I (Lookout Kid)" is my SOTY so far. And I could see it fit perfectly on a Vampire Weekend album.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I've enjoyed these quite a bit:

Caroline - Dark Blue
Arcade Fire - The Lightning I/II
Angel Olsen - All the Good Times
Yeule - Too Dead Inside
Black Flower - Magma
The Smile - Free in the Knowledge
40 Watt Sun - Reveal
Somi ft. Ladysmith Black Mambazo - Nonqonqo
Silvana Estrada - Carta
Duster - Familiar Fields
Lil Supa - Cadaver.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Kendrick Lamar's new song "The Heart Part 5" is excellent. Can't wait for this album to drop.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

22 favourite songs of 2022 so far.

1 | Rosalía | Saoko
2 | Harry Styles | As It Was
3 | Wet Leg | Angelica
4 | Sierra Ferrell | Hey Me, Hey Mama
5 | Big Thief | Certainty
6 | The Weeknd | Less Than Zero
7 | Florence + the Machine | My Love
8 | Black Country, New Road | The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
9 | Arcade Fire | The Lightning II
10 | SOAK. | Last July
11 | Kae Tempest | More Pressure
12 | Maggie Rogers | That's Where I Am
13 | CMAT | Nashville
14 | Everything Everything | Kevin's Car
15 | Florence + the Machine | King
16 | Big Thief | Change
17 | Kevin Morby | A Random Act of Kindness
18 | Everything Everything | My Computer
19 | Stromae | L'enfer
20 | Sharon Van Etten | Headspace
21 | Ethel Cain | American Teenager
22 | Joji | Glimpse of Us

...will keep us together.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Some sort-of-ranked favorites. I hope we do the mid-year songs tournament again this year!

Caroline Polachek - Billions
Stromae - L'enfer
Let's Eat Grandma - Levitation
Nilufer Yanya - Midnight Sun
black midi - Welcome to Hell
Arlo Parks - Softly
Jockstrap - Concrete Over Water
Pusha T - Diet Coke
Mitski - Love Me More
Big Thief - Simulation Swarm
Black Country, New Road - The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
Wet Leg - Angelica
Hatchie - Giving the World Away
Shygirl - Firefly
Hikaru Utada - Somewhere Near Marseilles
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Only heard the song once and it isn’t gonna be released for mass consumption til July 16th but that it’s left this much of a lasting impression is a good sign: the Chesterfields- Our Songbird Has Gone

Monza Express- Lady Bell
Wet Leg- Angelica
The Now- Holy
Paper Tigers- Portrait of a Scene
Shambolics- Losing Your Mind
The Velvet Hands- Holiday in My Head
The Venomous Pinks- No Rules
The Von Tramps- Live Fast
Walt Disco- How Cool Are You?
Yot Club- U Don’t Kno Me
Loose Articles- Kick Like a Girl
Kid Gulliver- Nothing But Trouble
Just Mustard- I Am You
Jody and the Jerns- Bare
The High Water Marks- The Best Day
Freeda- into My Head
Dungeon of Skeletons- Doom & Gloom
Dan Miraldi- Room for 2
The Clockworks- Money
Blossoms- Born Wild
Yard Act- Payday
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

My top 20 halfway through the year:
  1. Rosalía - Hentai
  2. Cory Wong - Disco de Lune
  3. yeule - Don’t Be So Hard on Your Own Beauty
  4. Haru Nemuri - Déconstruction
  5. Andrew Bird - Make a Picture
  6. Niechęć - Argot
  7. Kim Petras - Treat Me Like a Slut
  8. Christina Aguilera - La Reina
  9. Foxes - Growing on Me
  10. Midnight Oil - The Barka-Darling River
  11. Joe Satriani - The Elephants of Mars
  12. Tigran Hamasyan - De-Dah
  13. Charli XCX - Every Rule
  14. Ava Max - Maybe You’re the Problem
  15. Karfagen - Land of Green, Pt. 1
  16. Big Big Train - Lanterna
  17. Silvana Estrada - Marchita
  18. Sault - Solar
  19. Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point
  20. Pussy Riot - Hatefuck
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

Below is my top 25 for the first half of the year:

01. All the Good Times, Angel Olsen
02. Spitting Off the Edge of the World, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
03. The Lightning (I & II), Arcade Fire
04. Big Time, Angel Olsen
05. Change, Big Thief
06. Virginia (Wind in the Night), The Head and the Heart
07. No Reason, Big Thief
08. Sidelines, Phoebe Bridgers
09.As it Was, Harry Styles
10. Gasoline, The Weeknd
11. Simulation Swarm, Big Thief
12. My Love, Florence + the Machine
13. That's Where I Am, Maggie Rogers
14. Being in Love, Wet Leg
15. Free, Florence + the Machine
16. Cursed, King Princess
17. King, Florence + the Machine
18. Loving You, Wet Leg
19. Western Wind, Carly Rae Jepsen
20. Angelica, Wet Leg
21. Good Will Hunting, Black Country, New Road
22. Thunder, Lana Del Rey
23. Right Now, Angel Olsen
24. About Damn Time, Lizzo
25. Carolina, Taylor Swift
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Below is a rough top 26:

1. Black Country, New Road- The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
2. Harry Styles- As It Was
3. Black Midi- Eat Men Eat
4. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Black Hot Soup (DJ Shadow “My Own Reality” Re-Write)
5. The Weeknd- Out of Time
6. Big Thief- Simulation Swarm
7. Lizzo- About Damn Time
8. Caroline Polachek- Billions
9. Black Country, New Road- Snow Globes
10. Arcade Fire- The Lightning I, II
11. Spiritualized- Crazy
12. Big Thief- Spud Infinity
13. Black Country, New Road- Basketball Shoes
14. Tim Heidecker- Buddy
15. Alvvays- Pharmacist
16. Wilco- Tired of Taking It Out on You
17. Charli XCX- Baby
18. The Weeknd- Sacrifice
19. Tim Heidecker- What Did We Do With Our Time?
20. Sky Ferreira- Don't Forget
21. Sharon Van Etten- Mistakes
22. Kendrick Lamar- N95
23. Four Tet- Looking at Your Pager
24. Jamie xx- Let's Do It Again
25. Pusha T- Diet Coke
26. Braxe + Falcon- Step By Step
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nick wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:38 pm 23. Four Tet- Looking at Your Pager
This is an excellent song - my favorite thing he's done in a while.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Jackson wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:12 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:38 pm 23. Four Tet- Looking at Your Pager
This is an excellent song - my favorite thing he's done in a while.
I found it didn’t really live up to his last single under the KH name, but I loved Only Human a lot so maybe it’s more how good that track was compared to this one being bad.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I thought I would update my list after the end of the tournament.

1. Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Pt. 5
2. Big Thief - No Reason
3. Otoboke Beaver - I am Not Maternal
4. Beyoncé - Break My Soul
5. Imperial Triumphant - Merkurius Gilded
6. Nduduzo Makhathini - Unonkanyamba
7. Charlotte Adigery & Bolis Pupul - Esperanto
8. Black Country, New Road - Haldern
9. Denzel Curry ft. T-Pain - Troubles
10. Kendrick Lamar - Father Time

11. Black midi - Welcome to Hell
12. Conway the Machine - Stressed
13. Viagra Boys - Baby Criminal
14. Polyphia - Playing God
15. The Weeknd - Less Than Zero
16. Soul Glo - Gold Chain Punk
17. Regina Spektor - Up the Mountain
18. Willow - maybe it's my fault
19. Jockstrap - Concrete Over Water
20. Black Country, New Road - The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
21. Conway the Machine - Lock Load
22. Viagra Boys - Troglodyte
23. Beyonce - Move
24. Otoboke Beaver - Iuta soba kara, soba ni ite
25. Joji - Glimpse of Us
26. Ibibio Sound Machine - All That You Want
27. Silvana Estrada - La Enfermedad Del Siglo
28. Viagra Boys - Creepy Crawlers
29. Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl
30. Sevdaliza - High Alone
31. Rosalia - Saoko
32. Cryalot - Hell is Here
33. Pabllo Vittar - Follow Me
34. Meridian Brothers - Poema del Salsero resentido

I think I'm ultimately not going to put The Weeknd - "Take My Breath (Album Version)" on my list, but it would rank #10.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

1. The Weeknd - Sacrifice
2. Joe Satriani - The Elephant of Mars
3. The Weeknd - Less Than Zero
4. Joe Satriani - Pumpin'
5. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Spitting Off the Edge of the World
6. Joe Satriani - Desolation
7. Phoebe Bridgers - Sidelines
8. Joe Satriani - Faceless
9. Big Thief - No Reason
10. Joe Satriani - Tension and Release
11. Beyonce - Break My Soul
12. Joe Satriani - Sahara
13. Arcade Fire - The Lightning
14. Joe Satriani - E 104th St NYC 1973
15. Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point
16. Joe Satriani - Doors of Perception
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Time for a rough 36...

1. Black Country, New Road- The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
2. Carly Rae Jepsen- Talking to Yourself
3. Beyoncé - Virgo’s Groove
4. Harry Styles- As It Was
5. The Weeknd- Out of Time
6. Big Thief- Simulation Swarm
7. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Black Hot Soup (DJ Shadow “My Own Reality” Re-Write)
8. Lizzo- About Damn Time
9. Black Midi- Eat Men Eat
10. Caroline Polachek- Billions
11. Black Country, New Road- Snow Globes
12. Spiritualized- Crazy
13. Beyoncé – Break My Soul
14. Arcade Fire- The Lightning I, II
15. Big Thief- Spud Infinity
16. Black Country, New Road- Basketball Shoes
17. Tim Heidecker- Buddy
18. The 1975- Happiness
19. Alvvays- Pharmacist
20. Wilco- Tired of Taking It Out on You
21. Charli XCX- Baby
22. Four Tet- Looking at Your Pager
23. Danger Mouse and Black Thought- Aquamarine (featuring Michael Kiwanuka)
24. Beak>- Kosmik Music (Full Length Version)
25. Sky Ferreira- Don't Forget
26. Wednesday- Bull Believer
27. Jockstrap- Greatest Hits
28. The Weeknd- Sacrifice
29. Tim Heidecker- What Did We Do With Our Time?
30. Sharon Van Etten- Mistakes
31. Steve Lacy- Bad Habit
32. Kendrick Lamar- N95
33. Jamie xx- Let's Do It Again
34. Pusha T- Diet Coke
35. Wednesday- Feast of Snakes
36. Braxe + Falcon- Step By Step
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

A quick list to see where things stand heading into the home stretch of the year....

1 | Nilüfer Yanya | midnight sun
2 | Caroline Polachek | Billions
3 | Stromae | L'enfer
4 | Let's Eat Grandma | Levitation
5 | black midi | Welcome to Hell
6 | Hikaru Utada | Somewhere Near Marseilles
7 | Four Tet | Looking at Your Pager
8 | Mitski | Love Me More
9 | Big Thief | Simulation Swarm
10 | Pusha T | diet coke
11 | Black Country, New Road | The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
12 | Wet Leg | Too Late Now
13 | Momma | Speeding 72
14 | Shygirl | Firefly
15 | Danger Mouse & Black Thought | Aquamarine (feat. Michael Kiwanuka)
16 | Jessie Ware | Free Yourself
17 | Charli XCX | Used to Know Me
18 | Magdalena Bay | All You Do
19 | beabadoobee | Talk
21 | Florence + The Machine | Free
22 | Soccer Mommy | shotgun
22 | Fontaines D.C. | Jackie Down the Line
23 | billy woods | Smith + Cross
24 | Vendredi Sur Mer | Monochrome
25 | Real Lies | Boss Trick
26 | Dan Miraldi | Room for 2
27 | black midi | Eat Man Eat
28 | Charli XCX | Lightning
29 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs | Burning
30 | Arlo Parks | Softly
31 | Christine & The Queens | Je te vois enfin
32 | Danger Mouse & Black Thought | Strangers (feat. A$AP Rocky and Run the Jewels)
33 | CMAT | Nashville
34 | Jane Weaver | Oblique Fantasy
35 | Jockstrap | Concrete Over Water
36 | yeule | Bites on My Neck
37 | Kilo Kish | AMERICAN GURL
38 | Ela Minus and DJ Python | Pájaros en Verano
39 | Sharon Van Etten | Mistakes
40 | Wet Leg | Angelica

Nice list Nick - you must have been playing that new Carly song nonstop since it came out!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Jackson wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 am
Nice list Nick - you must have been playing that new Carly song nonstop since it came out!
Absolutely! I didn't even hear it until the 19th, but I've probably played it 10 times since then.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

LCD Soundsystem dropped a new song, "New Body Rhumba." It seems like a one-off track for a movie, so we may not be getting an album out of this. Either way, good song.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Listyguy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:58 pm LCD Soundsystem dropped a new song, "New Body Rhumba." It seems like a one-off track for a movie, so we may not be getting an album out of this. Either way, good song.
It's really surreal to have my favorite band write a new song for an adaption of my favorite book.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Really digging this song, the lead single by Shabason & Krgovich from their album coming out this Friday, At Scaramouche. Joseph Shabason is a session musician who has done jazz, rock, and synthpop stuff. You might know him from his saxophone work on "Suffering" and "Eyes to the Wind" by The War on Drugs, from Lost in the Dream (2014).
This track is pretty cool too:
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Just heard "C'est La Vie" by Yung Gravy. It's mostly not worth your time, but I want to share this chorus with you:
Bitch, I'm 21 but I still walk around with fake ID (What?)
Cuddle with the homies watching Stand by Me (Cute)
This dick ain't free, baby, pay my fee (Bread)
Let me live my life, baby, c'est la vie
aaron1010
Superunknown

Post by aaron1010 »

This is the first time I listenedquordle to this "Billions" song and I immediately fall in love with it.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

aaron1010 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:26 am This is the first time I listenedquordle to this "Billions" song and I immediately fall in love with it.
It's a banger! Supposedly she's gradually working on a whole album with Danny Harle, who produced Billions. She also apparently wrote an aria for a Kurt Cobain opera. I haven't listened to that yet.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Ahead of the EOY lists rolling out next month, here are my favorite songs so far:

1. Angel Olsen - All the Good Times
2. Kendrick Lamar - The Heart Pt. 5
3. Beyoncé - Break My Soul
4. Denzel Curry - Walkin
5. Walt Disco - How Cool Are You?
6. The Linda Lindas - Growing Up
7. Daniel Rossen - Shadow in the Frame
8. Kehlani - Altar
9. Big Thief - Time Escaping
10. Tears for Fears - End of Night
11. Soul Glo - Driponomics
12. Wet Leg - Being in Love
13. Maren Morris - Circles Around This Town
14. Nova Twins - Cleopatra
15. Wilco - Many Worlds
16. Muna - Runner’s High
17. Paolo Nutini - Radio
18. Amanda Shires - Take it Like a Man
19. Horace Andy - This Must Be Hell
20. Chat Pile - Slaughterhouse
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I heard this on a Top 40 radio station, and couldn't even believe it. I almost felt like, "Is someone fucking with me?" It's a total throwback to late '50s/early '60s rock ballads, before rock got sophisticated. Rock soon piled up dense layers lyrically and stylistically, but here is the straightforward charm of the early days, like you'd hear in American Graffiti, or, uh, some of David Lynch's work. I thought that maybe it was on the Elvis soundtrack, and that sort of explains things, but nope. It would seem impossible that this song could have passed all the barriers put in front of this type of music landing on Top 40 radio. (The one modern twist here -- besides a music video even existing -- is that the song apparently became a sensation through TikTok. I have that app but can't navigate it to save my life.)

andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

It is largely a callback to that era, but I think it blends in some 2010s indie-pop influence too. The chorus sounds like From Finner by Of Monsters and Men, and the overall vibe isn't too different from a lot of Lord Huron songs in my opinion. It's simple and pleasant, so I can see how it has mass appeal.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

1. The Heart Attacks-Acks- My Heart/My Mind
2. Yot Club- U Don’t Kno Me
3. Monza Express- Lady Belle
4. Livingmore- Bummer
5. Wet Leg- Angelica
6. Du Blonde- LIVE_WIRE_PUNK_MIX
7. Dan Miraldi- Room for 2
8.The Clockworks- Money
9. The Bablers- You Are The One For Me
10. The Chesterfields- Our Songbird Has Gone
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

luvulongTIM wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:52 am
You have to change the https to http for the spotifyplaylist tag in your signature to work. Just so ya know. You also may have to omit the parameters at the end of the URL. So this:

Code: Select all

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2nE9wa2ZWonFCn8y9EwqRQ?si=2TTnfvSEQ--0p6Ks6qbgvg&utm_source=copy-link
Becomes this:

http://open.spotify.com/playlist/2nE9wa2ZWonFCn8y9EwqRQ
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

ProjectTermina wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:59 pm
luvulongTIM wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:52 am
You have to change the https to http for the spotifyplaylist tag in your signature to work. Just so ya know. You also may have to omit the parameters at the end of the URL. So this:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2nE9wa2ZWonFCn8y9EwqRQ?si=2TTnfvSEQ--0p6Ks6qbgvg&utm_source=copy-link
Becomes this:

http://open.spotify.com/playlist/2nE9wa2ZWonFCn8y9EwqRQ
Oh ok. Kewl beans. forgot I even had the link down there. Got ya! Thanks.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Only 2 months left in the year. Here's my cream of the crop:

1. Carly Rae Jepsen- Talking to Yourself
2. Black Country, New Road- The Place Where He Inserted the Blade
3. The 1975- Happiness
4. Beyoncé - Virgo’s Groove
5. Harry Styles- As It Was
6. Steve Lacy- Bad Habit
7. Caroline Polachek- Billions
8. The Weeknd- Out of Time
9. Big Thief- Simulation Swarm
10. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard- Black Hot Soup (DJ Shadow “My Own Reality” Re-Write)
11. Lizzo- About Damn Time
12. black midi- Eat Men Eat
13. The 1975- I’m in Love with You
14. Tim Heidecker- Buddy
15. Alvvays- Pharmacist
16. Black Country, New Road- Snow Globes
17. Spiritualized- Crazy
18. Beyoncé – Break My Soul
19. Arcade Fire- The Lightning I, II
20. Big Thief- Spud Infinity
21. Black Country, New Road- Basketball Shoes
22. Wilco- Tired of Taking It Out on You
23. Charli XCX- Baby
24. Four Tet- Looking at Your Pager
25. Danger Mouse and Black Thought- Aquamarine (featuring Michael Kiwanuka)
26. Arctic Monkeys- There’d Better Be a Mirrorball
27. Taylor Swift- Anti-Hero
28. Sky Ferreira- Don't Forget
29. Weyes Blood- Grapevine
30. Wednesday- Bull Believer
31. Alvvays- After the Earthquake
32. Alvvays- Belinda Says
33. Carly Rae Jepsen- The Loneliest Time (featuring Rufus Wainwright)
34. Beak>- Kosmik Music (Full Length Version)
35. Jockstrap- Greatest Hits
36. Tim Heidecker- What Did We Do With Our Time?
37. Carly Rae Jepsen- Western Wind
38. The Weeknd- Sacrifice
39. Sharon Van Etten- Mistakes
40. Hatchie- Lights On
41. Jessie Ware- Free Yourself
42. Kendrick Lamar- N95
43. Jamie xx- Let's Do It Again
44. Pusha T- Diet Coke
45. Wednesday- Feast of Snakes
46. Braxe + Falcon- Step By Step
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

So any idea which songs are going to dominate the EOY lists ? My only safe bet is Billions.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”