Albums you should like but don't

Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Albums you should like but don't

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

This is a topic I wanted to discuss for quite sometime. I have found that sometimes even if the genres of an album align with something I may enjoy or even if I love the artist, every now and then an album just doesn't click with me. I wanted to make this threat to see what albums are like this for you guys!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Re: Albums you should like but don't

Here are few of mine.

Ministry - Filfth Pig: As a fan of almost all of Ministry's material from their debut to Psalm 69, this one hurts to admit. I have tried to like this album but this is the first Ministry album where it just sounds not fresh at all and sounds like they were slipping behind their contemporaries such as Nine Inch Nails who had just released a perfect album of industrial music

Spelling - The Turning Wheel: This is a very artsy album that I thought would have been right up my ally alongside Grimes and FKA Twigs but I really did not enjoy this album. The operatic vocals got annoying and repetitive very quick.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love: Same thing applies for Kate Bush. Yea I know that it is a sin to speak bad of Kate Bush in these communities but as a fan of 80s synthpop in general I thought I would enjoy this but I couldn't get past her voice which I cannot get too into and overall the instrumentals where not as intriguing as I hoped they would be.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut: My favorite moments on The Wall are some of the darker moments but this album has always felt like half baked left overs even if I like the overall vibe of the album.

Cake - Fashion Nugget: 90s alternative rock is a genre I have a soft spot for but take Cake out of it. More often than not I found myself cringing at this album and their cover of I Will Survive doesn't hold a candle to the original.

The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers For Disappointment: I love my skate punk and my classic ska punk but this album seems to be a bit too polished and homogenized for my liking.

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell: Gothic metal. As someone who loves goth music of all styles I didn't expect to have an issue with this album but in many ways this feels like a parody of other goth metal albums and left me disappointed.

Pulp - Different Class: Even after listening to this, Blur and Oasis still win.

Lil Uzi Vert - Eternal Atake: I really liked Luv Is Rage 2 and was really hoping for another quality project from Uzi but instead he hammered in on the aesthetic of the album and not the actual material presented.
Edre the Depeche Head
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I dislike eternal atake as well.
But I thought I would so
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I realize that I probably bore many AMF folks with my Todd and classic rock recommendations, so here are some albums that I would recommend that I presently view as outside those two categories:

76. Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock - 2008 (My 76th favorite album of all time - boring perhaps for alt and rap lovers -great guitar, no lyrics),

91. Return to Forever - Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy - 1973 (a bit too old for many and clearly a jazz-rock fusion offering - probably not very interesting to many on the AMF)

123. Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down - 1996 (great vocals, interesting lyrics, not very innovative musically)

187. George Benson - In Flight - 1976 (older tasty work, no rough energy for those who prefer such energy)

241. Michael Brecker - Pilgrimage - 2007 (lighter jazz)

255. Return to Forever - Where Have I Known You Before - 1974 (jazz-rock fusion)

259. The Cure - Wish - 1992 (surprised that this was not ranked by AM)

325. Larry Carlton - Kid Gloves - 1992

448. Pat Metheny - 80/81 - 1980

595. Death Cab for Cutie - Plans - 2005

644. Tangerine Dream - Melrose - 1990

684. Prefab Sprout - Crimson/Red - 2013

693. Earl Klugh - Crazy For You - 1981

823. Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris - 2007

826. Camel - The Snow Goose - 1975

857. My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges- 2008

890. Citay - Citay - 2006

898. Best Coast - The Only Place - 2012

FYI - I do not find this thread to be threatening :-)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Sonic Youth albums from Experimental Jet Set on (except for Sonic Nurse), certainly by Washing Machine. And it gives me no pleasure. You can find good reviews for any of them, and I want to like them, so there shouldn't be any problem. It's like I've ruined a party that everyone's having fun at. The same goes, to some extent, for Pearl Jam albums after Vitalogy.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Deerhoof's music? Seems like people recommend them because they supposedly sound similar to KKB, but I don't hear it. Very noisy and chaotic music, which I'm not fundamentally opposed to, but I don't like it.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Pretty much anything from Van Morrison.

Could never get into Astral Weeks.

I liked his stuff with ‘Them’ and the song Brown Eyed Girl but that’s it.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Edre Peraza wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:48 pm
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love: Same thing applies for Kate Bush. Yea I know that it is a sin to speak bad of Kate Bush in these communities but as a fan of 80s synthpop in general I thought I would enjoy this but I couldn't get past her voice which I cannot get too into and overall the instrumentals where not as intriguing as I hoped they would be.
Edre, I agree with you about this. Love the 80’s, love synth pop - but no love for Kate.
Last edited by Madzong on Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Ys by Joanna Newsom- 4ad, Steve Albini, the frequent Kate Bush comparisons, the best of all worlds combined. Yikes! Could not have been any more thrown off. It reminded me of Morticia Addams playing the shamisen while squealing “Tokyo.” Kind of an appropriate fit considering 4ads association with goth culture. It became kind of the blueprint for things to come with female criticy beloved alternative songwriters, 4ad female led groups and anything indie, artsy and folksy to come out of Brooklyn. Stretched out, lengthy, dragged out pieces more focused on atmospheric instrumentation as opposed to what brought the Siouxsies and Kate Bush’s and Cocteau Twins even many Björk classics to the dance in the first place and the full on structure of the songs themselves. Hooks, melodies, a chorus, catchiness, tempo, rhythm, infectious charm. Yes there music was moody and theatrical and arty but they kept their songs lively and fresh with a singalong vibe. That I find lacking so desperately since the success and influence of Ys. I’ll give the Courtney Barnettes’ and Lykke Lis all the credit in the world for being true to themselves and not going down that road but for every few of them you get far too many that use Ys as their main inspiration and it’s just really dragging and dull in all honesty.

Anything PAVEMENT. Until I FINALLY finally figured out a way to put a stop to it Spotify would not leave me the heck alone with the Pavement recommendations and even after I got a whole lot of Stephen Malkmus recommendations. Ben Stein there is the entire reason why I just can’t get into Pavement who got the next Pixies and Sonic Youth treatment by critics the way Jack N the Box is always trying to push their nasty tacos at you. Just not interested. And unlike their fast food I find them to be a fat free Pixies at best or a phoned in Sonic Youth. Rice cake of the indie scene or watching actual Pavement dry dull. And dry as a matter of fact is also the perfect description.

Also Deerhunter, whatever their most acclaimed album is. Love noise pop and shoegaze and anything seemly related but nothing of there’s really resonates on my listening pallet.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I guess this topic isn't so much for acclaimed albums you don't like but can explain why, as those you can't. For all purposes I should love but can't get into:

Radiohead - In Rainbows (I love everything before that and also A Moon Shaped Pool)
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (dito, and I also prefer the Hope Six Demolition Project)
Anything Fleet Foxes did after their debut, which I loved. Haven't listened to their last one, though.
luvulongTIM wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:01 am Ys by Joanna Newsom- 4ad, Steve Albini, the frequent Kate Bush comparisons, the best of all worlds combined. Yikes! Could not have been any more thrown off. It reminded me of Morticia Addams playing the shamisen while squealing “Tokyo.” Kind of an appropriate fit considering 4ads association with goth culture. It became kind of the blueprint for things to come with female criticy beloved alternative songwriters, 4ad female led groups and anything indie, artsy and folksy to come out of Brooklyn. Stretched out, lengthy, dragged out pieces more focused on atmospheric instrumentation as opposed to what brought the Siouxsies and Kate Bush’s and Cocteau Twins even many Björk classics to the dance in the first place and the full on structure of the songs themselves. Hooks, melodies, a chorus, catchiness, tempo, rhythm, infectious charm. Yes there music was moody and theatrical and arty but they kept their songs lively and fresh with a singalong vibe. That I find lacking so desperately since the success and influence of Ys.
I don't think Joanna Newsom has much to do with Cocteau Twins, Björk or Siouxsie. I see a connection with Kate Bush in the voice and in the mystical themes, but not much in the instrumentation. Joanna Newsom belongs far more in the folk and singer/songwriter parts of music. She is very lyrics based and has an unmatched vocabulary. Her music, which admittedly is frequently close to avant-garde in composition, usually gives atmosphere and new meanings to the words. She certainly doesn't make music to dance to. I haven't heard many Newsom-influenced musicians either and most of them are more obscure than her.
Besides, you mention 4AD in a negative sense three times, but Newsom was never signed to that label. She's always been on Drag City.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Probably Queen and Pink Floyd.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Rob wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:20 pm I guess this topic isn't so much for acclaimed albums you don't like but can explain why, as those you can't. For all purposes I should love but can't get into:

Radiohead - In Rainbows (I love everything before that and also A Moon Shaped Pool)
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (dito, and I also prefer the Hope Six Demolition Project)
I feel the same way about those two. I like so many other albums by each artist, but those haven't clicked for me in the same way. Vespertine also falls into that category.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I feel like those who know me well around here would expect I would be big into the Spellling and Squid albums from this year, but neither have clicked with me, both due to the vocals. I like individual tracks from each, but the vocals grate on me over the course of a long album.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

I found spelllings vocals tiring, but had no problem with Squids. Squid is certainly more my style though, being post punk/experimental rock, so maybe I’m just more accustomed.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I love Spellling. That's sure to be my album of the year. Though, other than the undeniably great "Boys at School," I don't share the same favorites as critics and other forum members (such as "Little Deer"). I much prefer the eerie, mystical sounds of "Magic Act" and "Queen of Wands."

I am lukewarm on Squid. I sure admire the creativity, but that one just hasn't clicked with me, despite multiple listens. That would definitely be a great example of an "album I should like but don't."
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Never understood the appeal of Ariana Grande's music, sounds like Janet Jackson B-sides to me. Totally agree about Joanna Newsom. Oh, and Joni Mitchell really gets on my nerves. And anything Paul Weller's done since the Jam.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

The only They Might Be Giants albums I've listened to in full are Lincoln and Flood, but I'm continually surprised by how consistently unengaging I've found them (aside form the obvious favorite tracks) over the years, because I feel like I'm the exact time of person who would be a TMBG super fan (and not just because of their connection with Homestar Runner).
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jackson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 pm I feel like those who know me well around here would expect I would be big into the Spellling and Squid albums from this year, but neither have clicked with me, both due to the vocals. I like individual tracks from each, but the vocals grate on me over the course of a long album.
That's interesting as Spellling's vocals actually grew on me as the album progresses.
I didn't click with Squid either, nor the new Black Midi, but I have only given them one try.
Wezzo
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Wezzo »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:09 am The only They Might Be Giants albums I've listened to in full are Lincoln and Flood, but I'm continually surprised by how consistently unengaging I've found them (aside form the obvious favorite tracks) over the years, because I feel like I'm the exact time of person who would be a TMBG super fan (and not just because of their connection with Homestar Runner).
Obviously you may not wish to invest more time in them, given your experience so far, but I'd be really intrigued to hear how you find an album like John Henry, which is lighter on full-on novelties and more of a straight-up alternative rock record.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Jackson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 pm I feel like those who know me well around here would expect I would be big into the Spellling and Squid albums from this year, but neither have clicked with me, both due to the vocals. I like individual tracks from each, but the vocals grate on me over the course of a long album.
I very much agree. In the fantano rhelm I like Lingua Ignota a lot but could not get into Spelling for the same reason. And I am pretty open minded with vocals!
Edre the Depeche Head
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Rob wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:49 am I didn't click with Squid either, nor the new Black Midi, but I have only given them one try.
Yeah me too actually. I expected to like the Black Midi a lot due to it's overall style and genre but it didn't click with me either.
Edre the Depeche Head
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Black midi sounded better the first time I heard it.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

A couple from me:

Stereolab albums - I've listened to quite a few of them a lot, and while I like a lot of the individual songs, love the vibe, and have seen them live and loved it, I don't find any of their albums particularly memorable. Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet are the two closest, but I really struggle to keep them in my head.

The War on Drugs' Lost in the Dream - love Kurt Vile, love the new I Don't Live Here Anymore, love Bruce. Never been able to get into Lost in the Dream unfortunately, even though I love Red Eyes.

I've always struggled with Julia Holter.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

TheLastEnemy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:20 am Never understood the appeal of Ariana Grande's music, sounds like Janet Jackson B-sides to me. Totally agree about Joanna Newsom. Oh, and Joni Mitchell really gets on my nerves. And anything Paul Weller's done since the Jam.
I prefer The Style Council to The Jam. So, I should like The Jam more than I do.
JSG
Strange Fruit

Post by JSG »

Honestly anything by the Smiths
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Zorg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:05 pm A couple from me:

Stereolab albums - I've listened to quite a few of them a lot, and while I like a lot of the individual songs, love the vibe, and have seen them live and loved it, I don't find any of their albums particularly memorable. Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Mars Audiac Quintet are the two closest, but I really struggle to keep them in my head.

The War on Drugs' Lost in the Dream - love Kurt Vile, love the new I Don't Live Here Anymore, love Bruce. Never been able to get into Lost in the Dream unfortunately, even though I love Red Eyes.

I've always struggled with Julia Holter.
Tbf Kurt vile wasn’t involved in Lost in the Dream.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've accepted that my taste corresponds a bit too much with the AM list (largely because it was my gateway to popular music after a youth of listening to video game soundtracks), and those I disagree on tend to do with genre - I don't like harder rock from the 80s but can at least see why Guns n Roses are at the top of that chain for people who do care. The one band I simply cannot understand is Haim. I don't have a problem with pop rock or anything, but I don't see what makes Haim special. Licorice Pizza is my favorite film from last year so far, I loved Alana Haim's performance, so I thought that would give me the extra nudge to care about her music career. Not at all. I just don't see it - I don't dislike them, but I don't get the praise.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

robertopupka wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 pm Hi all, I really love listening to the hip-hop industry, I like artists like Kaney West, Eminem, Asap Rocky, Lil Goat, Lil skies, Metro Boomin, 21 Savage, Lil Uzi vert, etc. I think the best album 2021-2022 year this Kanye West-Donda, as I listen to a lot of different tunes I put them all in your YouTube playlist, in my opinion YouTube is the best platform for listening to music and also for viewing videos.
Good luck!
Methinks we have found a spam account
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett. I keep trying to like them but never manage.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Humphrey12
Strange Fruit

Post by Humphrey12 »

Zorg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:05 pmlove Bruce
:o

...but we agree that Lost in the Dream is way overrated.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Most American hardcore punk particularly those best of Rodney on the Roq compilations, well now ROCK and but I might hear something that catches my ear every now and than. And speaking of ROCK,one of those songs “TV Party” by Black Flag. That particular song, I liked the lyrics more than the song itself but ever since that staged, pathetic, PR stunt BS as a cheap ploy for ratings involving Will Smith and Chris ROCK, if this song ever gets covered I hope they update the shows referenced and at the top of that list would be the Oscars. Speaking of Bruce, I’ll buy his latest made up new screen name trolling persona in a heartbeat over what the Oscar’s is shilling for ratings any day.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

One that comes to my mind now is Mitsky’s Be The Cowboy. I don’t even feel like exploring other music from her after disliking so much that album. I like “Working for the Knife”, though.

Also The Kinks have never clicked with me. Village Green and Something Else by The Kinks fell a lot under my expectations when I discovered them. Face to Face is a good album, specially “Sunny Afternoon”, but still not a favorite.

I agree about Pavement too.
Another indie acclaimed album that seems to check a lot of my requisites but doesn’t click is “Return to Cookie Mountain”. And that’s even more strange since Dear Science is one of my favorite albums ever.

About “Let England Shake”, I think it is a lot overrated. Four great songs in a row at the beginning, but then it goes gradually worse until the end.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

American 80s and and early 90s dreampop like Galaxie 500, Red House Painters and Mazzy Star and to some degree even shoegaze like the Swirlies, Drop Nineteens, Medicine and Lilys were ok but moved on to bigger better things. Same with their hometown mates Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre. They didn’t really resonate the way their UK and Irish counterparts did. There was just something missing. Yo La Tengo and Mercury would eventually change things up so by the mid 90s things had improved in the States significantly.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”