Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Re: Albums of 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:14 pm Uh. https://youtu.be/UmgDLGpl9ME

No idea if this is legit.
Okay, yeah, it's real. They released it on Bandcamp officially on February 14th. https://godspeedyoublackemperor.bandcam ... p-drooling

I have yet to give it the attentive listen it's owed.

Does it count as a 2022 release? It's technically a reissue, haha.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 am
Nick wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:50 pm The first album was all "Black Spider, New Land", but their second album is all "Black Arcade, New Fire".
Did someone say Arcade Fire? I've never gone so quickly to check an album out. And unsurprisingly, I love it. Early frontrunner for album of the year. It didn't remind me quite as much of Arcade Fire as I would have expected on first listen, based on this, but now I've listened about 15 times and it keeps growing on me, and I do hear that similar epic, passionate, layered sound that made Funeral my favorite album. And after typing that, I see that they say they were directly influenced by that album in particular during the recording process. Wish there were more music like this!

And when is Arcade Fire going to finally get around to releasing something?
I don't hear the Arcade Fire comparison that much except for the Reginesque voice in Good Will Hunting, I do however hear a lot of kinda forgotten bands from the 00s : a big dose of early Los Campesinos in Chaos Space Marine, a hefty hint of The Dodos in Bread Song, a pinch of Architecture in Helsinki on Concorde, some Final Fantasy, Forward Russia, The Antlers, Sunny Day Real Estate, Ra Ra Riot, Wrens... it never really sounds like any of those but somehow manages to evoke all and more.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 pm previous thursday roundup ^
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 pm next thursday roundup ^
Happy Thursday!

Haven’t heard anybody talk about Trentemøller so I’ll go ahead and say, Memoria is worth playing on repeat. It’s largely an ambient album and does a good job of supporting various levels of attention, as ambient music should. But it wanders into pop and rock territory as well, and these make for some of my favorite moments, such as the shoegazey “Like a Daydream,” elusively sticky “In The Gloaming,” and most of all, the atmospherically and emotionally overwhelming dream pop highlight “No More Kissing In The Rain.” I’m probably over-hyping it. But take it for a spin if you find the time.

Adria Kain’s debut album When Flowers Bloom was recommended to me by Tidal Rising. Tidal Rising is a feature of Tidal that promotes “up-and-coming” artists who don’t have a lot of press around them yet. I am not sure what role payola plays in their selection, and by nature it’s going to be a bit of a mixed bag, but in the five years I’ve been flirting on and off with Tidal, I’ve liked this feature quite a bit and found some good stuff through it. Kain’s husky voice and sense for both groove and atmosphere make for a really pleasant listen. It might not be your favorite album of the year, but it deserves more attention. Keep an eye out for Adria Kain.
favorite tracks: “Never Change (Interlude) (feat. Leila Dey),” “Classic (feat. Leila Dey),” “Flowers, For You”

Glaive’s album is growing on me.

Albums that I recommend:
  • Yard Act - The Overload
  • 40 Watt Sun - Perfect Light
  • Trentemøller - Memoria
  • The Weeknd - Dawn FM
  • Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion
  • Adria Kain - When Flowers Bloom
  • Boris - W
Albums that I like quite a bit:
  • 2 Chainz - Dope Don’t Sell Itself
  • RuPaul - Mamaru
  • Madrugada - Chimes at Midnight
  • Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
  • Mary J. Blige - Good Morning, Gorgeous
  • Grentperez - Conversations with the Moon
  • Once Human - Scar Weaver
  • $NOT - Ethereal
  • Dan Andriano and The Bygones - Dear Darkness
  • Glaive - Old Dog, New Tricks
Albums that I like decently enough:
  • Mach-Hommy - Dollar Menu
  • Eels - Extreme Witchcraft
  • KYLE - It’s Not So Bad
  • Aurora - The Gods We Can Touch
  • Kiefer Sutherland - Bloor Street
  • FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
  • Shamir - Heterosexuality
  • Pinegrove - 11:11
Albums that I feel slightly positive to indifferent towards:
  • Alt-J - The Dream
  • Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
  • Christina Aguilera - La Fuerza
  • Half Alive - Give Me Your Shoulders Pt. 1
  • Kim Petras - Slut Pop
  • Billy Talent - Crisis of Faith
  • Bad Suns - Apocalypse Whenever
  • Eric Nam - There and Back Again
  • Korn - Requiem
Albums that don’t really do it for me (and I might not have finished):
  • Inna - Champagne Problems
  • Subtronics - Fractals
  • St. Paul and The Broken Bones - The Alien Coast
  • Cory Wong - Wong’s Cafe
  • Magnum - The Monster Roars
  • MØ - Motordrome
  • Leighton Fields - Consequences
Albums that are not good:
  • Skillet - Dominion
The worst album I’ve heard this year:
  • Dustin Lynch - Blue In The Sky
~*~

A non-exhaustive list of albums coming out tomorrow (February 18th) for you to peruse:
  • Annihilator - Metal II
  • Beach House - Once Twice Melody
  • Big K.R.I.T. - Digital Roses Don’t Die
  • Bloodywood - Rakshak
  • Broods - Space Island
  • Hurray for the Riff Raff - Life on Earth
  • Immolation - Acts of God
  • Josef Salvat - Islands
  • Khruangbin and Leon Bridges - Texas Moon
  • Lavender Country - Blackberry Rose (and Other Songs & Sorrows)
  • Metronomy - Small World
  • Midnight Oil - Resist
  • Oliver Tree - Cowboy Tears
  • Said the Sky - Sentiment
  • Sally Shapiro - Sad Cities
Kanye West - Donda 2 is purportedly coming out on February 22.

Edit: corrected name of 40 Watt Sun release
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm Adria Kain’s debut album When Flowers Bloom was recommended to me by Tidal Rising. Tidal Rising is a feature of Tidal that promotes “up-and-coming” artists who don’t have a lot of press around them yet.
I don't use Tidal, so don't know this feature, but these are always fun in theory.
I've recently started listening to the slightly similar feature on Bandcamp, their Album of the Day (from Monday to Friday that is, there is no new entry for the weekends). Not all artists are obscure, but some are and none are exactly mainstream. They also cover a wide range of genres and countries, so that's nice. From what I've heard so far not all are great, but they tend to be at least decent and some recommendations are very welcome, like Archive Material by Silverback and today's (well yesterday's, but there is the time difference to take into account) Agadez by Etran de L'Aïr, which fans of last years Afrique Victime will probably enjoy.

I also want to add to praise for your posts in topics like these ProjectTermina. Especially your willingness to highlight albums beyond the critics lists and forum favorite artists.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Spoon is back and same Spoon as always. If y’all like Spoon, the new album is solid.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm Kanye West - Donda 2 is purportedly coming out on February 22.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT https://hypebeast.com/2022/2/kanye-west ... forms-info
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

ProjectTermina wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:55 pm
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm Kanye West - Donda 2 is purportedly coming out on February 22.
Hey, anything that makes it less likely that I have to listen to the sequel to my least favorite album of the last year is a good move to me.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Holden wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:24 pm Spoon is back and same Spoon as always. If y’all like Spoon, the new album is solid.
Totally agree.
I don't think they can ever do a bad album.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Rob wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:00 pm Hey, anything that makes it less likely that I have to listen to the sequel to my least favorite album of the last year is a good move to me.
I'm so conflicted... Does the quick turnaround for Donda 2 mean it'll be a mercifully shorter (and more coherent) listen? Or does it mean we're getting an unfinished, half-baked mess? (Unheard of!) Does Kanye realize he can't "fix" Donda 2 if he releases it this way? I only managed to sit through Donda once. Maybe the experience of holding a $200 stem player would make the listening experience feel more intentional and intimate, and maybe adjusting the stems would encourage me to notice and appreciate musical details I might not have otherwise.

Fuck, man, I just really want to like something Ye makes again.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

VanillaFire1000 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:59 am Technically this is late 2021 but I am kinda into this new album by the Taiwanese band 百合花 (Lilium.)
This is a banger btw. Been focusing on 2022 releases but will give this album a rightful listen for groove's sake
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

spiritualized wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:16 pm
Holden wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:24 pm Spoon is back and same Spoon as always. If y’all like Spoon, the new album is solid.
Totally agree.
I don't think they can ever do a bad album.
They lack the highs of some of their contemporaries in my mind, but make up for it definitely in consistency. B ever a bad time to turn on a Spoon record.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

This reminds me of The Life Of Pablo, which was originally only available on Tidal. Only now it's even more bizarre.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Listyguy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:59 pm
This reminds me of The Life Of Pablo, which was originally only available on Tidal. Only now it's even more bizarre.
When you buy Ye's next album it'll be a Betamax tape inside a double-hulled tungsten carbide bathysphere conveniently delivered to your house from satellite orbit.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

New Big Thief and Beach House albums are good but why do they need to be sooooo long?
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Well, I've officially heard two albums from 2022 that are better than every album I heard from 2021. Big Thief and BC,NR absolutely rocked the house.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Donda 2 failed to release yesterday, shocking the world. https://www.thedailybeast.com/kanye-wes ... t-midnight
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:34 pm previous thursday roundup ^
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm next thursday roundup ^
Happy Thursday! Haven’t listened to a ton of new music this week. I spent most of that time traveling to and from Minneapolis to visit a very good friend of mine who has recently moved there. We drank excellent coffee, visited America’s first basilica, ate raw beef larb at a Hmong market, AND I got a concussion! I’m feeling much better today, thanks.

Below is a non-exhaustive list of albums coming out tomorrow, Friday, February 25, for you to peruse. I get these releases from the Wikipedia page “List of 2022 albums” to make sure these release dates are well-attested. Lately I have been scouring various release calendars and adding release dates to the Wikipedia page, provided I can find good references. So if this list seems long, that’s why. The only criterion for being on this list is “notability;” they are not curated for appeal to any particular musical sensibility.
  • Adult - Becoming Undone
  • Allegaeon - Damnum
  • Avril Lavigne - Love Sux
  • Bad Omens - The Death of Peace of Mind
  • Basia Bulat - The Garden
  • Beth Hart - A Tribute to Led Zeppelin
  • Blood Incantation - Timewave Zero
  • Carson McHone - Still Life
  • Conway the Machine - God Don't Make Mistakes
  • Corey Taylor - CMFB ...Sides
  • Dashboard Confessional - All the Truth That I Can Tell
  • Dream Widow - TBA
  • Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime
  • Guns N' Roses - Hard Skool
  • HammerFall - Hammer of Dawn
  • Johnny Marr - Fever Dreams Pts 1-4
  • Judy Collins - Spellbound
  • Kodak Black - Back for Everything
  • Reckless Love - Turborider
  • Robert Glasper - Black Radio 3
  • Sasami - Squeeze
  • Scorpions - Rock Believer
  • Sevdaliza - Raving Dahlia
  • Soft Cell - Happiness Not Included
  • Superchunk - Wild Loneliness
  • Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point
I’m excited about the Dream Widow album, which is the Foo Fighters doing a death metal album to accompany their horror comedy film Studio 666, which is out in theaters tomorrow. It sounds really stupid. I’m looking forward to it.

Also seeing a lot of activity from the Griselda group this year. Definitely gonna listen to that Conway record, and Benny’s when it comes out.

Spellbound is going to be Judy Collins’s first album of solely original material. This bitch is 82 years old! God damn! I’ve gotta give that a listen.

Anything on here look interesting to y’all? What’s on your radar for the next couple of weeks?

Edit: We are also supposed to be getting a Ghostface Killah album sometime in February, but we don't have a specific release date besides that, and no more information has been given since September, so don't count on it.
Edit: Fuck! How did I miss this? New Superchunk out tomorrow.
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Donda 2 V2.22.22 MIAMI was released last night as a Stemplayer exclusive. https://pitchfork.com/news/kanye-west-r ... em-player/
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Cate Le Bon - Pompeii is pretty incredible. I agree wholeheartedly 2022 is off to an immediate much stronger start than 2021.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Guys.... Judy Collins's album is really good.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Jackson wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:31 am New Big Thief and Beach House albums are good but why do they need to be sooooo long?
I wonder if it's some kind of (coincidental) statement, saying that albums - big, ambitious albums - still matter. It's odd that this early in the year, two of the three most highly acclaimed albums so far are both over 80 minutes long (and Ants from Up There is almost a full hour as well).

I just bought and listened to both of the behemoths last night, and although both Beach House and Big Thief have always been in the "artists-I-admire-more-than-like" category for me, I was very impressed with both albums (more so with Big Thief, for its range of styles - I have to think that even for a fan, 84 minutes' worth of Beach House is a lot).

I'll say this about Beach House: the best thing that ever happened to them was waking up one day and realizing, "Wait a minute - we can actually ask Alan Moulder to mix our records? And he'll actually do it? That's a real thing that can happen?" Moulder mixed all of their last album and over half of Once Twice Melody, and their lush soundscapes have never sounded better. And the final track, "Modern Love Stories," is so extraordinary that it almost made me want to go back and listen to the whole album all over again. Almost.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Should I read into LCD Soundsystem performing on SNL? Are they doing anything new?
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

What a joyous experience to listen to the new Half Man Half Biscuit album. Maybe a bit UK-centric for some, but made me laugh out loud during at least three tracks.

Talking about big albums, the new Johnny Marr is pretty long, and the Gang of Youths album feels big in every way apart from critical acclaim.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I opened up Spotify to listen to Spoon’s new album and got a pop up: “New music for you: Spoon - Lucifer On The Sofa”.

AI’s gettin good there.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 pm click arrow for previous thursday roundup ^
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:19 pm click arrow for next thursday roundup ^
Hi everybody. It is Thursday.

been playing Superchunk - Wild Loneliness a lot, three or four times in the last 24 hours. I like my Superchunk fast and frenetic, but I like this more mellow stuff too. favorite tracks: "On the Floor," "Connection," "Highly Suspect," "Endless Summer," "Refracting," look, it's Superchunk, every song is good. Not sure if any of them will be year-end favorites ("On the Floor" is definitely a contender), but it's an extremely solid album.

Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime is vibrant and suffused with spirituality. One of my favorite albums of the year currently, not to burden it with high expectations. There is an erhu in it. favorite tracks: "Spirit Boy," "The Kingdom is in You," "Unison," "Goal of the Century"

Orchestral music tends to bore the shit out of me, and I feel like trying to transpose groovy pop music into an orchestral idiom can have really disastrous results. Having said all that, I am really impressed with Basia Bulat's album of orchestral renditions of her own songs, The Garden. I was not planning on listening to it (I have not listened to her before) but Tidal happened to play the title track and I was pretty blown away by the orchestration. They made some weird, interesting choices on this album, and I am glad they didn't choose the single most obvious way to arrange the tunes for orchestra every time. It's also mixed well, which is maybe antithetical to the concept of an orchestra, but oh well. I like the percussion and the fiddle-style violin on "Heart of My Own." I love how the reverberating plucked strings on "The Shore" evoke the vast expanse of the sea, while the swells of jittering violin suggest crashing waves. This turned out to be a really nice listen. favorite tracks: "Go On," "The Shore," "In the Name Of," "Love is at the End of the World"

The Judy Collins album does not have consistently great writing, but it is really pretty. I have a deep affection for it and I'm glad it exists. I have never listened to Judy Collins before, and this may inspire me to go through some of her catalog. favorite tracks: "Hell On Wheels," "Spellbound"

Albums coming out tomorrow, according to Wikipedia. (I added about thirty of these.)
  • 10 Years - Deconstructed
  • Band of Horses - Things Are Great
  • Benee - Lychee EP
  • Bob Moses - The Silence in Between
  • Cécile McLorin Salvant - Ghost Song
  • Charlotte Adigéry and Bolis Pupul - Topical Dancer
  • Cloud Cult - Metamorphosis
  • The Cool Kids - Before Shit Got Weird
  • Crowbar - Zero and Below
  • Cruel Santino - Subaru Boys: Final Heaven
  • The Dead South - Easy Listening for Jerks, Part I
  • Diplo - Diplo
  • Dolly Parton - Run, Rose, Run
  • Elevation Worship - Lion
  • El Ten Eleven - New Year's Eve
  • The Flower Kings - By Royal Decree
  • Guided by Voices - Crystal Nuns Cathedral
  • İlhan Erşahin, Dave Harrington & Kenny Wollesen - Invite Your Eye
  • Just Friends - Hella
  • King Von - What It Means to Be King
  • Kojey Radical - Reasons to Smile
  • Krewella - The Body Never Lies
  • Léon - Circles
  • Madi Diaz - Same History, New Feelings
  • Marillion - An Hour Before It's Dark
  • Maylee Todd - Maloo
  • Melissa Aldana - 12 Stars
  • Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs - External Combustion
  • Nilüfer Yanya - Painless
  • Oh Hiroshima - Myriad
  • Peach Pit - From 2 to 3
  • RZA & DJ Scratch - Saturday Afternoon Kung Fu Theater
  • Sabaton - The War to End All Wars
  • Smoke DZA - Driplomatic Immunity
  • Somi - Zenzile: The Reimagination of Miriam Makeba
  • Songs: Ohia - Live: Vanquishers
  • Stereophonics - Oochya!
  • Stromae - Multitude
  • Trip Lee - The End
  • Ty Tabor - Shades
  • Vein.fm - This World Is Going to Ruin You
  • Vio-lence - Let the World Burn
  • The Weather Station - How Is It That I Should Look at the Stars
  • Your Old Droog - YOD Wave
  • Zander Schloss - Songs About Songs
On March 5:
  • Troglodyte - The Hierarchical Ecological Succession: Welcome to the Food Chain
On March 9:
  • Milet - Flare
Schuttelbirne, are the Melissa Aldana and Cécile McLorin Salvant releases on your radar? I am vaguely aware that you like jazz, but I don't know if you are specifically interested in jazz saxophone or vocals. I tried to listen to that Alexander Hawkins release you were talking about earlier in this thread, but I didn't get too far into it. I really liked the Alexander Hawkins nom for Unacclaimed VIII though :)

Anyway, I am gonna give Nilufer Yanya's album a listen, because Tidal happened to play "The Dealer" and it really impressed me. I'll listen to Dolly Parton because it's Dolly Parton. Might listen to RZA. Maybe this is the year I get into Guided By Voices too. The Songs: Ohia posthumous live album is exclusive to Secretly Society (weird record club thing) and Static & Distance (Jason Molina fan club). Gonna see if I can get in on that. Might listen to Smoke DZA just because Driplomatic Immunity is a fucking hilarious name. I like "Supalonely" as much as the next guy but I may or may not give Benee's Lychee a listen. I'm an easy mark for post rock, so might listen to El Ten Eleven and Oh Hiroshima. Peach Pit sounds fun too. I dunno! I am a leaf in the pond.

Edit: added Somi release
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm
Schuttelbirne, are the Melissa Aldana and Cécile McLorin Salvant releases on your radar? I am vaguely aware that you like jazz, but I don't know if you are specifically interested in jazz saxophone or vocals. I tried to listen to that Alexander Hawkins release you were talking about earlier in this thread, but I didn't get too far into it. I really liked the Alexander Hawkins nom for Unacclaimed VIII though :)
The McLorin Salvant release is something I am interested in; I quite enjoyed her previous effort The Window which featured an incredible live rendition of "Ever Since the One I Love's Been Gone". The singles up to now have been pretty good too, so I think it will be at least solid (or more I hope).

I checked out the lead single from the Melissa Aldana album and it doesn't really resonate with me. Thanks for the suggestion though! If I may give a suggestion back: Based on what you said in the MAA 2021 thread about Henki and you mentioning being a poptimist, you might enjoy Hen Ogledd's Free Humans. It's a band featuring Richard Dawson and being heavily influenced by Hannah Diamond with pretty nerdy lyrics.

I can add two new releases:

Somi releases her new album Zenzile: The Reimagination of Miriam Makeba featuring a number of guests like Angélique Kidjo, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Seun Kuti, Gregory Porter and (my favorite) Nduduzo Makhathini. Don't know if I'll find the time for it though.

And there's a new release on Astral Spirits, one of the currently most exciting labels: Texas Butt Biters, a collaboration by John Dikeman, Stefan González, Ingebrigt Haker Flaten and Jonathan Horne.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:06 pm Somi releases her new album Zenzile: The Reimagination of Miriam Makeba featuring a number of guests like Angélique Kidjo, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Seun Kuti, Gregory Porter and (my favorite) Nduduzo Makhathini. Don't know if I'll find the time for it though.
Ooh, I do like Miriam Makeba and Angelique Kidjo, although my knowledge of their work is very shallow. I came to know of Miriam Makeba because my phonetics professor played Qongqothwane to demonstrate clicks. I first came to know of Angelique Kidjo through a collaboration with Omawumi, "Play Na Play," which is a banger. It's also the song I listened to when I needed to learn how to pronounce "kp" and "gb" for the same phonetics class, although that is a coincidence -- I discovered the song through Tidal Rising. That whole album, Timeless, is pretty decent, although I don't know if it'd be your jam exactly.

Somi grew up in Champaign-Urbana, where I live. Neat!

Zenzile has a lot of press around it so it's pretty easy to prove notability and find a reliable source -- went ahead and added it to the Wikipedia list. Might give it a listen too. Thanks!
Schüttelbirne wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:06 pm you might enjoy Hen Ogledd's Free Humans. It's a band featuring Richard Dawson and being heavily influenced by Hannah Diamond with pretty nerdy lyrics.
This is such an eerily laser-focused recommendation for me that I literally thought you were joking at first, but no, Richard Dawson has explicitly cited Hannah Diamond as an influence, and calls her "exactly the folk singer for our times." What the fuck. Giving it a listen now.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Yet another instant year end top ten contender in Somi’s new album Zenzile: The Reimagination of Miriam Makeba.

Anyone who’s ever gotten an album in my year end top ten is knocking it out of the park this year.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

After listening to it again and thinking it over a bit more, I really think that Ants From Up There is the best new album I've heard since Blackstar. It's gonna be really, really hard for 2022 to top this one.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Heard Let the Festivities Begin! by Los Bitchos today. Never expected to hear an album in this day and age that is basically in the style of instrumental rock bands of the sixties like Telstar, but here we are. I'm not sure yet if it has great replay value, but it is quite energetic and fun. For now I also just enjoy it for the novelty of a modern band working in an old style that hasn't had a revival ever as far as I know. Quite different than the very typical indie style cover promises.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Finally heard Donda 2. It has to have some of the worst mixing/mastering I've heard from a supposedly "professional" album. I'm not saying the album is irredeemable, but in this state it is really, really not good. It's a shame too, because I thought the first Donda was easily Kanye's best (solo) album since Pablo.

Anyway...

Excellent Tier:

1. Black Country, New Road- Ants From Up There

Great Tier:

2. Big Thief- Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
3. Beach House- Once Twice Melody

Very Good Tier:

4. The Weeknd- Dawn FM

Good Tier:

5. Animal Collective- Time Skiffs
6. Cate Le Bon- Pompeii
7. Spoon- Lucifer on the Sofa
8. Mitski- Laurel Hell
9. The Weather Station- How Is It That I Should Look at the Stars
10. Earl Sweatshirt- Sick!

Decent Tier:

11. Burial- Antidawn (EP)

Bad Tier:

12. Kanye West- Donda 2

My tier system works something like:

Excellent
Great
Very Good
Good
Decent
Bad
Horrible
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nilufer Yanya's Painless is fantastic, a big leap forward from her debut.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm click arrow for previous thursday roundup ^
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:14 pm click arrow for nextthursday roundup ^
Happy Thursday!

While I was fleshing out the Wikipedia list for my release radar this week, I found an album that supposedly comes out tomorrow, according to press and to the MusicBrainz database, but has already been on streaming services since, like, January? Tidal even says the release date is tomorrow, even though the whole album is already streamable. Someone’s gotta tell me how that works.

Anyway, that album is “Tongues” by Tanya Tagaq, and it turned out to be my… favorite? album I’ve heard all week. Tagaq is a Canadian Inuit singer and Polaris Music Prize winner who draws upon the Inuit form of throat singing called katajjaq. Inuit throat singing is practiced by a pair of singers facing each other and aligning their in-breaths with their partner’s out-breaths in a sort of friendly competition to see who can outlast the other. Tagaq reinterprets this tradition by performing solo on her recordings, and using this style of singing to channel implacable, inconceivable grief and rage. I’m going to keep it a thousand with you and say this is not a straightforwardly pleasant listen, and in fact it made me feel genuine fear. favorite songs: “Colonizer (Tundra Mix),” “I Forgive Me,” “Teeth Agape”
https://tidal.com/browse/album/196592320

In other news, ended up really digging Kristine Leschper’s debut album under her given name (after having gone by Mothers), The Opening, or Closing of a Door. These songs are instrumentally rich, and are catchy in an off-kilter way. There are some really dreamy drone parts with a strangely dissonant melody over it that remind me of some of the songs Angelo Badalamenti and David Lynch composed together. There are multiple separate moments that independently remind me of the third movement of “To Be Over” by Yes. It meant I had to take a quick Yes break in the middle of the album, but that’s not necessarily a bad quality for an album to have. favorite songs: “Picture Window,” “Blue,” “Carina,” “This Animation”
https://tidal.com/browse/album/200203390

Maybe if I liked Leschper I should give Cate Le Bon another try… (Sorry Jirin.)

Bolded albums were not on my last tier list three weeks ago.

My favorite albums of the year:
  • 1. 40 Watt Sun - Perfect Light
  • 2. Yard Act - The Overload
  • 3. Superchunk - Wild Loneliness
From here on out, these tiers are sorted alphabetically. It doesn’t really feel right to do the pseudo-ranking thing I did before when some of these albums I don’t really remember all that well, or I might not have given enough time to reveal themselves to me.

Albums that I recommend:
  • 2 Chainz - Dope Don’t Sell Itself
  • Adria Kain - When Flowers Bloom
  • Basia Bulat - The Garden
  • Gang of Youths - Angel in Realtime
  • Krallice - Crystalline Exhaustion
  • Kristine Leschper - The Opening, Or Closing of a Door
  • Tanya Tagaq - Tongues
  • Trentemøller - Memoria
  • The Weeknd - Dawn FM
Albums that I like quite a bit:
  • Band of Horses - Things are Great
  • Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
  • Boris - W
  • Frank Turner - FTHC
  • Glaive - Old Dog, New Tricks
  • Grentperez - Conversations with the Moon
  • Infected Rain - Ecdysis
  • Judy Collins - Spellbound
  • Madrugada - Chimes at Midnight
  • Mary J. Blige - Good Morning, Gorgeous
  • Once Human - Scar Weaver
  • RuPaul - Mamaru
  • Sally Shapiro - Sad Cities
Albums that I like decently enough:
  • $NOT - Ethereal
  • Aurora - The Gods We Can Touch
  • Conway the Machine - God Don't Make Mistakes
  • Dan Andriano and The Bygones - Dear Darkness
  • Eels - Extreme Witchcraft
  • FKA Twigs - Caprisongs
  • Kiefer Sutherland - Bloor Street
  • KYLE - It’s Not So Bad
  • Mach-Hommy - Dollar Menu
  • Metronomy - Small World
  • Nilüfer Yanya - Painless
  • Oh Hiroshima - Myriad
  • Peach Pit - From 2 to 3
  • Pinegrove - 11:11
  • Shamir - Heterosexuality
  • Somi - Zenzile: The Reimagining of Miriam Makeba
Albums that didn’t leave that much of an impression on me:
  • Alt-J - The Dream
  • Bad Suns - Apocalypse Whenever
  • Benee - Lychee
  • Billy Talent - Crisis of Faith
  • Christina Aguilera - La Fuerza
  • Eric Nam - There and Back Again
  • Half Alive - Give Me Your Shoulders Pt. 1
  • Khruangbin and Leon Bridges - Texas Moon
  • Kim Petras - Slut Pop
  • Korn - Requiem
  • Zeal & Ardor - Zeal & Ardor
Albums that don’t really do it for me at all:
  • Cate Le Bon - Pompeii
  • Cory Wong - Wong’s Cafe (didn’t finish)
  • Dolly Parton - Run, Rose, Run (didn't finish)
  • Inna - Champagne Problems
  • Leighton Fields - Consequences (didn’t finish)
  • Magnum - The Monster Roars (didn’t finish)
  • MØ - Motordrome (didn’t finish)
  • Said the Sky - Sentiment (didn't finish)
  • Scorpions - Rock Believer (didn't finish)
  • Snoop Dogg - BODR (didn't finish)
  • St. Paul and The Broken Bones - The Alien Coast (didn’t finish)
  • Subtronics - Fractals (didn’t finish)
Albums that I got distracted partway through, but might like to finish at some point:
  • Beach House - Once Twice Melody
  • Black Country, New Road - Ants from up There
  • Hurray for the Riff Raff - Life on Earth
  • Spoon - Lucifer on the Sofa
Back to ranked listing:

My least favorite albums of the year:
  • 2. Skillet - Dominion (didn't finish, although I really did try)
  • 1. Dustin Lynch - Blue In The Sky
~*~

A non-exhaustive list of albums coming out tomorrow (March 11) for you to peruse:
  • Alex Cameron - Oxy Music
  • Archie Roach - My Songs: 1989–2021
  • Ben Abraham - Friendly Fire
  • Benny the Butcher - Tana Talk 4
  • The Boo Radleys - Keep On with Falling
  • Brandon Boyd (the guy from Incubus) - Echoes and Cocoons
  • Bryan Adams - So Happy It Hurts
  • Charlie Collins - Undone
  • Dallas Woods - Julie's Boy
  • The Districts - Great American Painting
  • Drake White - The Optimystic
  • Drug Church - Hygiene
  • Ella Henderson - Everything I Didn't Say
  • Elzhi & Georgia Anne Muldrow - Zhigeist
  • Ferris & Sylvester - Superhuman
  • For King & Country - What Are We Waiting For?
  • Ghost - Impera
  • Hank Williams - I'm Gonna Sing: The Mother's Best Gospel Radio Recordings
  • Hoodoo Gurus - Chariot of the Gods
  • Ho99o9 - Skin
  • Jenny Hval - Classic Objects
  • Khontkar and Downtown Dion - Fire Department
  • Lil Durk - 7220
  • Men Without Hats - Again (Part 2)
  • Nick Mono - The Sun Won't Stay After Summer
  • Orion Sun - Getaway
  • Rex Orange County - Who Cares?
  • Set It Off - Elsewhere
  • Shaman's Harvest - Rebelator
  • Shenseea - Alpha
  • Tapani Rinne and Juha Mäki-Patola - Open
  • Taylor Alxndr - 1993
  • Team Me - Something in the Making
  • Thomas Headon - Victoria
  • Trey Anastasio (the guy from Phish) - Mercy
  • Upsahl - This Is My First Live Album
  • Widowspeak - The Jacket
  • The Wiggles - ReWiggled
  • Wolves at the Gate - Eulogies
Archie Roach has done a lot of important work advocating for the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and this triple album is an anthology of his whole catalog. I might put it on in the background in the kitchen or something and get an idea of who this guy is.

Speaking of Indigenous Australians, I might listen to Dallas Woods's debut grime album? Sounds like it could be fun.

The Wiggles album is a bunch of Aussie artists paying tribute to The Wiggles, followed by The Wiggles doing a bunch of covers of popular songs, including "Elephant" by Tame Impala. I haven't heard it yet but it sounds amusing.

If you're a fan of Turkish hip hop, check out the Khontkar release, produced by Harry Fraud.

If all of Lil Durk's 7220 is as good as "Ahhh Ha" then that will definitely be worth a listen. I didn't think of this when I was writing my latest post on the Hot 100 thread, but I think YoungBoy's counter-diss might have actually given "Ahhh Ha" a boost in popularity. Kinda pitiful.

Also gonna listen to Benny out of curiosity, although Griselda's approach to hip hop is not really my thing.

The Hank Williams album is a compilation of recordings from his radio show. They were released on a box set in 2010, but BMG has been trying to make them more available. I kinda wanna listen to this at some point, maybe on a Sunday morning while making waffles. Hank Williams is good waffle-making music.

Bryan Adams So Happy It Hurts, AOTY 2022?? we will see

I cannot add this to the Wikipedia list yet because they don’t like to list artist-album pairs where neither the album nor artist have Wikipedia pages yet, but Sometimes Y, a collaboration between Waylon Jennings’s son Shooter Jennings and Kid Rock-type Yelawolf, is releasing a self-titled album tomorrow and I will probably listen to that out of morbid curiosity.
Last edited by ProjectTermina on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

The Boo Radleys ?
Seriously ?
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

spiritualized wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:28 pm The Boo Radleys ?
Seriously ?
Read em and weep!

Is that a "Seriously?" as in "Seriously they're still making music?" They reunited in 2020 apparently, and released an EP, A Full Syringe and Memories of You, last year. I don't know anything about them, how do you feel about them?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hi !
Yes it's seriously as in they're still making music ?
I used to love them in the 90s.
Noisy pop at its best !

Listen to Giant Steps, its a classic of the 90s.
In the meantime, I will lend an ear to this new one, without much expectation!

Thanks for the info !
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

I guess put Black Country, New Road into the bucket of bands I don't get the overwhelming appeal. Not bad, but ... Kind of like The War on Drugs and Low.
On the other hand, thumbs up to new albums by Mitski, Big Thief and Hooray for the Riff Raff this year.
ProjectTermina
Let's Get It On

Post by ProjectTermina »

Rocky Raccoon wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:47 am I guess put Black Country, New Road into the bucket of bands I don't get the overwhelming appeal. Not bad, but ... Kind of like The War on Drugs and Low.
On the other hand, thumbs up to new albums by Mitski, Big Thief and Hooray for the Riff Raff this year.
Man, I do not get Ants From Up There at all. I've tried to listen to it twice and have not found much of anything to hold my attention.

Except: I made it to "Bread Song" one time and it did resonate with me. Not in a good way, but that's something.
ProjectTermina wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm
  • Charlotte Adigéry and Bolis Pupul - Topical Dancer
In other news, Fantano really liked this album.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I didn’t get into their album last year much but really liking Ants From Up Here.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Today, I was pleasantly surprised by 'Yeyo' from the Venezualan rapper Lil Supa/Mark Ginale. Good stuff.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Charlotte Adigéry and Bolis Pupul - Topical Dancer is truly phenomenal, happy to declare it my AOTY as I can't imagine an album better suited to my own taste. The collaborative nature and experimentation are reminiscent of last years 'best' LP: LUMP - Animal.

HAHA is such a vibe - even if it is the sounds of a clown-like sleep paralysis demon.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Jenny Hval has a new album, really good.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

The AURORA LP was surprisingly good! I had no reason to think it wouldn’t be but I go by Megacritic when listening to new albums, and I was hoping a higher profile release would pass it in the new update. But I bet this makes my top 50 at the EOY!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Holden wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:02 pm The AURORA LP was surprisingly good!
I'd go as far as to say it is actually amazing. I liked her previous work well enough, but here she goes beyond her previous talents. Her unusual vocals are just magical to me. Really a strong folk pop album, that should easily make my top 10.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Looking forward to the new Charli XCX album today.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Zorg wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:27 pm Looking forward to the new Charli XCX album today.
She's trying to thread the needle between being a mainstream pop star and pleasing her newer alt-pop fan base with this project. The result doesn't really satisfy either on first listen to me. I like Good Ones and New Shapes, but the subsequent singles declined in quality, and I didn't hear much on my first listen to the album that I' eager to go back to.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The new Rosalia is getting a ton of hype from critics, can't wait to check it out
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

That new Angelica single from Wet Leg, quite angelic. Even better than Chaise Longue. That they keep postponing but release a new single per postponement announcement, judging by these singles alone, the postponement is only adding to the intrigue. Quite the strategy. Can’t wait. It just sounds good. Nothing too artsy or overly (and usually unnecessarily) conceptual. Just bouncy, energetic, fun and melodic, the way I love it.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

1. Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You
2. Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up Here
3. Cate Le Bon - Pompeii
4. Rokia Kone & Jacknife Lee - Bamanan
5. Boris - W
6. Khruangbin - Texas Moon
7. Mitski - Laurel Hell
8. Animal Collective - Time Skiffs
9. Yard Act - The Overload
10. Anais Mitchell - Anais Mitchell
11. Stromae - Multitude
12. The Weeknd - Dawn FM
13. Somi - Zenzile: The Reimagination of Mariam Makeba
14. Beach House - Once Twice Melody
15. Teh Weather - Station - How Is It That I Should Look At The Stars
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

The albums I've liked thus far, subject to change (with comments for the less well-known releases):

1 | Kee Avil | Crease (RYM says Experimental, but I don't see it; just a very consistent album of Art Pop; think Katie Gately)
2 | Asleep Country | Helvetic Sylph (Three hours of electronic sound collage with very long, exploratory tracks, but never boring)
3 | Punkt.Vrt.Plastik | Zurich Concert (very precise, clear jazz compositions in live versions by a piano trio featuring my favorite artist of the decade so far, Kaja Draksler)
4 | Akira Sakata & Takeo Moriyama | Mitochondria (Free Jazz with drums and saxophone, inventive and intense)
5 | Francesca Remigi | The Human Web (Picking up where Gomorra left off but with a different mood)
6 | Alexander Hawkins Mirror Canon | Break a Vase (Picking apart compositions and putting them together again with a great ensemble)
7 | Cecil Taylor | The Complete, Legendary, Live Return Concert (always a pleasure)
8 | Wolfgang Rihm | Musica Viva #39 (One of the most important contemporary composers with three great compositions; featuring the first official release of "Stabat mater")
9 | Immanuel Wilkins | The 7th Hand (Quartet with saxophone, strongly influenced by Spiritual Jazz)
10 | Black Country, New Road | Ants From Up There
11 | John Aylward | Celestial Forms and Stories (Classical compositions based on Greek mythology; the first three tracks are not as good, but "Narcissus" and "Ananke" are divine)
12 | Anthropods | Anthropods (Straddling the line between Rock and Jazz featuring string instruments. Some real bangers in here)
13 | Bambara | Love on My Mind [EP]
14 | Immolation | Acts of God (Wonderful cover art and great guitar work on this Death Metal record)
15 | Keeley Forsyth | Limbs (Not as good as her debut, but still hauntingly spooky and beautiful)
16 | Pan Daijing | Tissues (More post-industrial operas please)
17 | Jim McNeely & Frankfurt Radio Big Band ft. Chris Potter | Rituals (Strongly inspired by Stravinsky, but I prefer the latter half)
18 | 40 Watt Sun | Perfect Light (Beautiful drawn-out songs with a very strong vocal performance on this Slowcore album)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”