Cover Versions vs Originals - Week 2

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Cover Versions vs Originals - Week 2

Post by spiritualized »

Lo and behold, here is the newest game in town, where you nominated the best cover versions in your musical culture and decided that the later version was far better than the original one.
Were your tastes in line with the general consensus, or is it just you ?
Time to find out !

The game will start with all 128 songs pitted against their original versions, in groups of 4, two per week. A couple of songs will not make the cut, as we have 130 unique nominations

You don't have to have nominated to participate.

Please feel free to add any comment, I hope there will be plenty to discuss.

Vote for who you think penned the best version of the song. If the original wins, the cover is eliminated.

In the second round, only cover versions will remain and they will be pitted against each other in a different voting format (to be determined by the number of songs going through the first stage.

The Spotify playlist is in order of original, then cover.

The votes will close next Sunday @ 12:00 Western European, get your votes in early ! Good luck & Have FUN !

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys vs Luka Bloom
Black Steel (in the Hours of Chaos) - Public Enemy vs Tricky
Valerie - The Zutons vs Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips vs Creedence Clearwater Revival

Group 4
Happy Home - The Residents vs Imperial Triumphant
I Wanna Be Your Boy (Girl) Friend - The Rubinoos vs Lush
Credit In the Straight World - Young Marble Giants vs Hole
You and Your Sister - Chris Bell vs This Mortal Coil

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: Cover Versions vs Originals - Week 2

Post by spiritualized »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - Luka Bloom
I'm really not fond of the keyboards which start the Waterboys song. The cover has a better guitar sound and the singing is also much better, although not much added to it.

Black Steel (in the Hours of Chaos) - Tricky
No doubt the cover version surpasses the original by a mile and a half. Tricky's added fireworks to a rather average classic hip hop track. Upping the tempo, a faster delivery from Martina Topley- Bird (who improvised the "melody" on the lyrics, as she never heard the original), indian drums samples, a killer guitar riff, you've got all the ingredients to make a brilliant cover, far better than the original.

I wasn't really familiar with either versions of this song. Somehow more attracted to the more upbeat version of Ronson/Winehouse.

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips vs Creedence Clearwater Revival
This song was bound to make it in this game. Many versions available, but the CCR one is at the top of the pile. Fogerty & co just blow the originals to smithereens by rocking the original and laying a truely different song. I can't even work out the oh so famous guitar lick which start the cover in the original. I guess CCR used the Marvin Gaye version as their influence.

Group 4
Happy Home - Imperial Triumphant
Strange instrumental (but what would you expect from the Residents ?), kinda augmented by Imperial Triumphant. This feels like a menacing military march, somehow.

I Wanna Be Your Boy (Girl) Friend - Lush
Good indie pop-rock song, very chirpy and bouncy. I prefer the girlfriend version, I think the female voice is more suited to the style

Credit In the Straight World - Hole
I knew the cover version of this song before the original. Hole managed to improve on the original, I think, starting with the first thirty seconds which seem to be from a completely different song altogether. Love's voice is more emotionally charged than the singsong-y original. Great song, though.

The original is very good, from the Big Star stable, excellent songwriting. Kim Deal & Tanya Donelly bring the emotional level to a different stage though, taking it away from the barebones of the original. Deal's voice is charming, the strings add something beautiful.

All covers this week !!!
hero
Strange Fruit

Post by hero »

Group 3

I do prefer the Marvin Gaye version but CCR do perform a great version here.
Like both PE and the Tricky version and had a hard time to choose. And when that's the case, I feel that you should go for the original. A cover has to surpass the original version, at least IMO.

Group 4

Tough group, wasn't familiar with all the songs here. You and Your Sister was especially tough and I really liked both version but thinks The Mortal Coil took it to the next level.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys < Luka Bloom
Black Steel (in the Hours of Chaos) - Public Enemy < Tricky
Valerie - The Zutons > Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips < Creedence Clearwater Revival

Group 4
Happy Home - The Residents > Imperial Triumphant
I Wanna Be Your Boy (Girl) Friend - The Rubinoos < Lush
Credit In the Straight World - Young Marble Giants < Hole
You and Your Sister - Chris Bell < This Mortal Coil

Favourite song I hadn't heard before: I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend
Best track: I Heard It Through the Grapevine, although Marvin Gaye's version would take the cake for me
Biggest surprise: Preferring the Zutons version of Valerie
Cadavaca
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Cadavaca »

Group 3: The original versions win across the board.
The Waterboys vs. Luka Bloom
Public Enemy vs. Tricky
The Zutons vs. Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse
Gladys Knight & the Pips vs. Creedence Clearwater Revival

Group 4: Even split.
The Residents vs. Imperial Triumphant
The Rubinoos vs. Lush
Young Marble Giants vs. Hole
Chris Bell vs. This Mortal Coil

I really appreciated this week's candidates. In no case had I heard both versions of the song before. I've liked Amy Winehouse's Valerie since I first heard it, but I had no idea it was a cover, and I really like the original! Sunny Sailor Boy was entirely new to me; I prefer the less polished original version here, given the fantastic first-person narrative.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Group 3
Not really convinced by either version, but The Waterboys somehow always manage to pull off sea related songs.

One of the few Public Enemy songs I like, but Tricky version is such a banger, it's improved in every way.

The Ronson/Winehouse version while not radically different makes small improvements on all front

Well, too bad there isn't a more famous version, this could have been a hit !
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Group 3
The Waterboys | "Sunny Sailor Boy" vs. Luka Bloom | "Sunny Sailor Boy"
Public Enemy | "Black Steel in the Hours of Chaos" vs. Tricky | "Black Steel"
The Zutons | "Valerie" vs. Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse | "Valerie"
Gladys Knight & the Pips | "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" vs. Creedence Clearwater Revival | "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"

Group 4
The Residents | "Happy Home" vs. Imperial Triumphant | "Happy Home"
The Rubinoos | "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" vs. Lush | "I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend"
Young Marble Giants | "Credit in the Straight World" vs. Hole | "Credit in the Straight World"
Chris Bell | "You and Your Sister" vs. This Mortal Coil | "You and Your Sister"
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Group 3
Valerie - The Zutons vs Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse - I always liked the original and thought/think the cover is one of the weakest recordings by Amy Winehouse.

Group 4
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Group 3

Group 4
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys vs Luka Bloom (haven't heard either version yet - TBD)
Black Steel (in the Hours of Chaos) - Public Enemy vs Tricky (haven't heard the cover yet, I did not like the original - TBD)
Valerie - Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips

Group 4
Happy Home - The Residents vs Imperial Triumphant (haven't heard either version yet - TBD)
I Wanna Be Your Boy (Girl) Friend - The Rubinoos
Credit In the Straight World - Young Marble Giants vs Hole (haven't heard either version yet - TBD)
You and Your Sister - Chris Bell vs This Mortal Coil (haven't heard either version yet - TBD)
Last edited by Henry on Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Group 3

Group 4
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys
Luka Bloom's take is basically in the age-old traditional of reworking a song for acoustic guitar. At least he doesn't settle for simple calm coffee shop vocals, making it a worthwhile version regardless. Nonetheless, the original feels more unique and atmospheric, so it gets my vote.

Black Steel (in the Hours of Chaos) - Public Enemy
Hot take: I don't think the Tricky version deserves to be in the shadow of the original. In it's own right it is a good song, sure. As a cover it is original. But to me Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos is one of the great masterpieces of hip-hop, with some of the most cutting lyrics, a lot cut in the Tricky version and some of it's strongest delivery. Chuck D. is a force of nature. The righteous fury in his voice is so overwhelming that switching to Martina Topley-Bird's rather party-like take almost feels as a bad joke. Listen to Chuck's deep disdain when he says "Picture me giving a damn, I said "Never!" in comparison with Topley-Bird's slight tease. It doesn't bare comparing. The Tricky Take is way to feeble for a song that is basically a malicious shout for dignity among institutional racism.

Valerie - Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
Perhaps oddly, Valerie is probably the most-played Amy Winehouse song on Dutch radio. Her other hits did very well, but Valerie for a time was so ubiquitous that it became annoying. I never understood why around here it was a bigger thing than Rehab or You Know I'm No Good. That time has passed though and I can listen to it at least somewhat fresh now. I knew it was a cover, but I don't think I ever heard the Zutons original before. It's an old-fashioned song released in 2006. Not all that remarkable. Winehouse wins on basis of her voice, but both are songs I don't mind hearing, but will never seek out for myself.

I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival
I once wrote a big piece on this song's any it's many incarnations, but it bears repeating that Gladys Knight and the Pips are only considered the original based on a technicality. The Impressions and Marvin Gaye recorded their versions first, but Knight had the first release. None of these can actually be called a cover in a clear sense. Luckily, we don't have Gaye or the Impressions here, but CCR, who clearly came later and have a more rigorous reinvention. Apparently they heard the iconic bass part and thought that it would make for a good guitar jam. And so it does. There is a lot of spirit and atmosphere in their version. It is also the one I grew up with, as my father is a big fan of the band. It is not an easy choice, but I have to go with the jam. Don't make any mistake, though: The Slits are perhaps the one who should have truly taken this victory with their strange post-punk take.

Group 4
An odd choice for this game and that is welcome. Both are curious instrumentals, but Imperial Triumphant deserve some praise for make the lunacy sound grandiose.

A genderswap and a somewhat brighter tone colour the Lush version, but really the only thing I really cared about in either version is The Rubinoos' guitar solo. Not a song that made huge impression in either way.

Credit In the Straight World - Hole
The version by Young Marble Giants is simple, but effectively tension laden. The Hole cover is something else, though. It's nasty, with a real bite. A great cover.

You and Your Sister - This Mortal Coil
Easily my least favorite song of the week, in either version. Chris Bell's version is actually better musically, but I can't stand the over-emotive singing, so This Mortal Coil wins by barely doing anything with their version.

Covers win by hair: 3/5
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - Luka Bloom
Valerie - The Zutons
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips The only one verrrrry hard to chose here. both are incredibles.

Group 4
Happy Home - Imperial Triumphant Both are great, a very interesting choice of songs.
I Wanna Be Your Boy (Girl) Friend - Lush
Credit In the Straight World - Young Marble Giants
You and Your Sister - Chris Bell
SL3
Different Class

Post by SL3 »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - Luka Bloom (cover)
Didn't know this one. The Luka Bloom version really brings out the beauty in the song.
Black Steel - Tricky (cover)
I have to confess I never realised before that these were the same song! Points to Tricky for the inspired reinvention.
Valerie - Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse (cover)
Another fantastic cover & a great choice of song that works really well in this style.
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight and the Pips (original)
The CCR version goes on way too long for me & I like the Gladys Knight version as much if not more than Marvin Gaye's so it is the original by a large margin here.

Group 4
Happy Home - Imperial Triumphant (cover)
I Wanna Be Your Girlfriend - Lush (cover)
Credit in the Straight World - Hole (cover)
You and Your Sister - This Mortal Coil (cover)

Covers win this group - I didn't know these originals so maybe that evens the playing field a bit, but these were all great covers that added a spark.
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys
Valerie - Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse
I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips

Group 4
Credit In the Straight World - Young Marble Giants
You and Your Sister - Chris Bell
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Group 3
Sunny Sailor Boy - 13. The Waterboys v. 12. Luka Bloom
Black Steel: 7. Public Enemy v. 1. Tricky feat. Martina Topley-Bird

Valerie: 2. The Zutons v. 3. Amy Winehouse Barely anything in it, could go either way depending on the day!

I Heard It through the Grapevine: 5. Gladys Knight & the Pips v. 16. Creedence Clearwater Revival The obvious contest of The Slits versus Marvin's original surviving recording (The Isleys' and The Miracles' respective versions are said to be lost to history) would be the heavyweight Grapevine title fight.

Group 4
Happy Home: 15. The Residents v. 8. Imperial Triumphant
I Wanna Be Your Boy/Girlfriend: 10. The Rubinoos v. 9. Lush
Credit in the Straight World: 6. Young Marble Giants v. 4. Hole
You and Your Sister: 14. Chris Bell v. 11. This Mortal Coil
All I got inside is vacancy!
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Group 3
Luka Bloom
Tricky
Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse
Gladys Knight & the Pips

Luka Bloom lifted the song to a higher level with his folkish, unembellished approach in one take. Tricky is tricky, but it has a nice sound. Amy Winehouse and MR added soul and nervous rhythm to that song. I like Gladys better than CCR, but Marvin Gaye's version would have had the edge.

Group 4

Imperial Triumphant
Lush
Hole
This Mortal Coil

I didn't realize This Mortal Coil was a cover.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Group 4
Didn't know Avril Lavigne stole the Girlfriend chorus
My nom. I love both versions equally, but the YTG feels a bit out of place in its album while the Hole version makes the most sense in the world.
Not the This Mortal Coil song I expected, though the other one is likely coming (and spoiler alert I'll wholeheartedly vote for the original). Anyway they made mostly covers so it wouldn't be surprising so see them a bunch more.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Group 3
Luka Bloom. Not much to choose between them but I prefer the sound of the cover.
Tricky. Not a big fan of the original, felt quite weak for Public Enemy. I far prefer the instrumentation on the cover.
The Zutons. Very hard to choose again, but the original shades it for me.
Creedence Clearwater Revival. I didn't think much of the original, it actually sounded like a bad cover to me.

Group 4
The Residents. I don't like either, and didn't feel like the cover added anything.
The Rubinoos. Much as I like Lush, I didn't feel that they added anything to this.
Hole. Not a big fan of the song but I felt Hole's version was more well-rounded and sounded like a proper song, whereas the original felt more like a demo.
This Mortal Coil. Love the cover, the voices seem to suit the lyrics and backing better for me.

Looking forward to the next groups!
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Results for this week n°2

17 participants in total, please carry on, we love seeing your comments !

Sunny Sailor Boy - The Waterboys vs Luka Bloom (6-10)
Black Steel (In the Hours of Chaos) - Public Enemy vs Tricky (5-11)
Valerie - The Zutons vs Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse (6-11)
I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & The Pips vs Creedence Clearwater Revival (9-8)
Happy Home - The Residents vs Imperial Triumphant (4-12)
I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend - The Rubinoos vs Lush (9-8)
Credit in the Straight World  - Young Marble Giants vs Hole (4-12)
You and Your Sister vs Chris Bell - This Mortal Coil (6-10)

Luka Bloom / Tricky / Mark Ronson ft Amy Winehouse / Imperial Triumphant / Hole / This Mortal Coil all go through the next stage.

Week 3 matchups coming up soon !

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”