Bruce/Hymie is banned

Jackson
Into the Groove

Re: Bruce/Hymie is banned

Post by Jackson »

Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 pm Once upon a time, Mindrocker perhaps gave the worst burn of all...

http://acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewto ... 596#p12596

This incidentally includes the hilarity of Hymie standing up for that wonderful SavoyBG guy.
Wow, what an incredible post! I really miss having him around.

Since I'm posting on this thread for the first time, I wanted to say that I absolutely stand behind Honorio and Henrik in their decision. If I miss anything about him, it's not his taste in music but rather his ability to get us all talking (even this thread about his ban is one of the most active in recent weeks).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jackson wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:15 pm
Live in Phoenix wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:18 pm Once upon a time, Mindrocker perhaps gave the worst burn of all...

This incidentally includes the hilarity of Hymie standing up for that wonderful SavoyBG guy.
Wow, what an incredible post! I really miss having him around.

Since I'm posting on this thread for the first time, I wanted to say that I absolutely stand behind Honorio and Henrik in their decision. If I miss anything about him, it's not his taste in music but rather his ability to get us all talking (even this thread about his ban is one of the most active in recent weeks).
Note that Hymie didn't respond to a single criticism he made either. He can dish it, but he sure doesn't know how to take it.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:46 pm I'm pretty sure Hymie was a different person at some point, a fellow DDD forum member perhaps, then Bruce assumed his identity after getting banned the second time.
The tone is different but the writing style looks a little too similar for me to believe that.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

andyd1010 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 pm I PM'd Hymie three years ago and again last week to try to help him understand why there is good reason for him to change some of his behavior, and that people here don't merely dismiss him because his tastes differ from ours. He said, "Sorry, but I can't agree with most of your advice. This entire forum is like one big circle jerk..."
What he seemed to miss here is that this forum is not in agreement about what the best music is. Our tastes differ very much. We do all share the idea, or so it seems to me, that music is a form of artistic expression and is tied to our emotions and personalities, which is not something Hymie was big on, to say the least. The reason why other users rarely clash is because we don't try to make our tastes seem like the right one. Personality is really key here. For example, there is little overlap between the tastes of Moonbeam and me, but he is one of my favorite users here.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Rob wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:08 am
andyd1010 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 pm I PM'd Hymie three years ago and again last week to try to help him understand why there is good reason for him to change some of his behavior, and that people here don't merely dismiss him because his tastes differ from ours. He said, "Sorry, but I can't agree with most of your advice. This entire forum is like one big circle jerk..."
What he seemed to miss here is that this forum is not in agreement about what the best music is. Our tastes differ very much. We do all share the idea, or so it seems to me, that music is a form of artistic expression and is tied to our emotions and personalities, which is not something Hymie was big on, to say the least. The reason why other users rarely clash is because we don't try to make our tastes seem like the right one. Personality is really key here. For example, there is little overlap between the tastes of Moonbeam and me, but he is one of my favorite users here.
Exactly. I used that same example and he basically ignored it. Moonbeam, I may not see the 80s the same way you do, but you contribute as positively to this forum as anyone, and I'm glad you're back!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Nick wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:25 pm
Listyguy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:18 pm What I don't get is why someone who dismisses this forum as a "circle jerk" keeps coming back after being banned. What's the allure? To be condescending?
I don’t want to speculate too much on the life of someone I’ve only interacted with on a music forum, but I get the feeling that Bruce is a very lonely person. Not that his supposed loneliness justifies his hostility, but it would explain why he keeps coming back, despite being banned an incredible three times from the AMF.
That sounds plausible, except there's one hole in your theory that's bigger than Joe Turner: isn't Bruce still a regular in the DDD community? Another forum that shares AMF's passion for music and lists, but seemingly with a userbase that Bruce finds to be a far more agreeable crowd. It's not like AMF was his last refuge or anything. Have any other DDD members been following what's going on here?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

In his mind there are two tastes. His and not his. So an agreement on any 'Not his' is absolute agreement.

Post by _______________ »

Yeah, fuck off Humie, what a fraud, so glad I'm not like him or his kids eww, what a loser, rock n roll will never die what. a. loser.lmao yeah
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

jade.palooka wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm Yeah, fuck off Humie, what a fraud, so glad I'm not like him or his kids eww, what a loser, rock n roll will never die what. a. loser.lmao yeah
And that’s that on that
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Wait, did he mention having kids?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Can you get in trouble here for having different screen names, even if you’d never been banned? I’d been here since the sites earliest inception but I can’t for the life of me think of what my old screen names were. I didn’t have my own computer at the time so if I’d go on it’d be once a week maybe and almost always as a guest to just read what was written here. So I admittedly have had accounts here just no idea what my old names were.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:04 am Wait, did he mention having kids?
Not sure, but that's just jade.palooka being jade.palooka as usual.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

luvulongTIM wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:31 am Can you get in trouble here for having different screen names, even if you’d never been banned? I’d been here since the sites earliest inception but I can’t for the life of me think of what my old screen names were. I didn’t have my own computer at the time so if I’d go on it’d be once a week maybe and almost always as a guest to just read what was written here. So I admittedly have had accounts here just no idea what my old names were.
According to your first post as luvulongTIM, you used to be Tim E and Rodneyontheblock. No problem with that. :P
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Omg I’m so lame! Haha! I need to stop with the damn puns.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Wow I must have missed something here. Am I the only one never realised that Hymie was Bruce?! I thought that whenever people called Hymie Bruce they were just making a comparison!
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

StevieFan13 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:54 pm
jade.palooka wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm Yeah, fuck off Humie, what a fraud, so glad I'm not like him or his kids eww, what a loser, rock n roll will never die what. a. loser.lmao yeah
And that’s that on that
:D :mrgreen:
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Madzong wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 am Wow I must have missed something here. Am I the only one never realised that Hymie was Bruce?! I thought that whenever people called Hymie Bruce they were just making a comparison!
It wasn’t obvious at first but I caught on the first time he said “No black music?”
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

It'll be easy to spot him again... if you're ever suspicious, just write "Patti Smith's Easter has the greatest album cover of all time!" That'll set him off!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:18 pm It'll be easy to spot him again... if you're ever suspicious, just write "Patti Smith's Easter has the greatest album cover of all time!" That'll set him off!
Or “The Velvet Underground are way better than [insert obscure ‘50s doo-wop group here]!”
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:23 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:18 pm It'll be easy to spot him again... if you're ever suspicious, just write "Patti Smith's Easter has the greatest album cover of all time!" That'll set him off!
Or “The Velvet Underground are way better than [insert obscure ‘50s doo-wop group here]!”
The moment I realized he wasn’t really an authority on anything was when he said that the only reason The Velvet Underground were influential was their subject matter.
"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Holden wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:23 pm
The moment I realized he wasn’t really an authority on anything was when he said that the only reason The Velvet Underground were influential was their subject matter.
There was a time where I wrote an angry response to him but ultimately deleted it (I think?) where I called him the Tommy Wiseau of music analysis. I have rarely encountered someone so self-assured of their own lacking abilities, and I'm certain the only reason he could speak with any sense of authority on older music is because there was no one here who cared to challenge him there. I feel like I never saw meaningful insight into even his positive opinions, just raw data and name-dropping.

Another one of his go-to insults he threw at me was that I was too 'young' to know anything about music. Some of my favorite artists have died at younger ages than I am now and managed to change the music industry entirely in their short lives. Hell, Little Richard was only 24 when he recorded Hymie's apparent third favorite song ever made - quite an achievement for someone too young to know anything about music! Johnny Burnette was 22, Huey "Piano" Smith was 23, Little Walter 25, Elvis Presley 19, Carl Perkins 25, Bo Diddley 27. All these artists were younger than me when they made songs Hymie placed in his top 20. I guess all these youngsters achieved this through blind luck alone. Clearly, nothing they have done compares to Hymie and his decades of 'experience.'
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

The opening of the Spin Alternative Record Guide’s entry on the Velvet Underground:

It’s not just that the Velvets redefined rock as bohemian underground rather than youth culture. It’s that their underground sound proved nearly as big, as spacious and fertile, as rock. As all aboveground rock. One band’s sound.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm There was a time where I wrote an angry response to him but ultimately deleted it (I think?) where I called him the Tommy Wiseau of music analysis.
"I did not say bigoted things, I did NAAAHHHT!!! ... Oh hai, BleuPanda."
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm
BleuPanda wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm There was a time where I wrote an angry response to him but ultimately deleted it (I think?) where I called him the Tommy Wiseau of music analysis.
“Anyway, how’s your circle jerk?”
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

BTW, I love that the Circle Jerks are finally getting their due on this board...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:05 pm BTW, I love that the Circle Jerks are finally getting their due on this board...
Knowing how much Hymie loved them almost brings a tear to my eye. I'll miss his passionate defenses of GG Allin and the Murder Junkies. Nobody was more of a scene kid than him.
Arsalan
Different Class

Post by Arsalan »

Wow, I'm glad Henrik and Honorio banned this guy.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:52 pm
Harold wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:33 pm
“Anyway, how’s your circle jerk?”
Ha ha ha, what a story, StevieFan13!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, I hate the way he framed it as though we young'uns had no interest in music before a certain date. I think there are quite a few users here who enjoy classical music. 11 of us just participated in a poll of pre-50s cinema on the film forum. 6 of our top 10 novels in our poll last year are from the 1940s or earlier. A lot of us engage with even earlier work than the period he loved, it just happens to be in other mediums. And, having gone through the entire top 10,000 list on this website, I have listened to plenty of songs from the eras he loved, and I'm sure many of us have done the same.

If you were to ask me my favorite era for film, it would be the 1950s. If I lack interest in the music of that same period, it is not because of its age but because, after listening to hundreds and hundreds of songs, I have concluded popular music needed a bit more time to really find its footing. There are still plenty of great songs from that period, but there is a reason that most of us seem interested in music from the 60s on despite our massive range of ages (while still exploring earlier works in other mediums).
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

StevieFan13 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:27 pm
Brad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:05 pm BTW, I love that the Circle Jerks are finally getting their due on this board...
Knowing how much Hymie loved them almost brings a tear to my eye. I'll miss his passionate defenses of GG Allin and the Murder Junkies. Nobody was more of a scene kid than him.
To be honest, I think his hatred of circle jerks was actually real, as he gave the one song of this album that appeared on Biggest Fan, Red Tape, a 2 :P
BobPatience
Let's Get It On

Post by BobPatience »

slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

I have been super busy the past couple of months, have not had much time to stop by.... looks like I missed out on some excitement!!!

Am I the only one who got super annoyed at someone putting a song on a list for (insert year) and having "someone" jumping all over them because it was on 'American Top 40' last week of December the previous year???
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I'm glad I wasn't the only person thinking of this scene when I saw the thread. :whistle:
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

slick wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:51 am I have been super busy the past couple of months, have not had much time to stop by.... looks like I missed out on some excitement!!!

Am I the only one who got super annoyed at someone putting a song on a list for (insert year) and having "someone" jumping all over them because it was on 'American Top 40' last week of December the previous year???
Well people get that way with the Clash’s London Calling but that last week or two of that year was also for that entire decade
Cold Butterfly
Different Class

Post by Cold Butterfly »

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm glad Hymie is banned. Although he had good knowledge on stuff like 1950s doo-wop, he always came off as a troll. It was cringeworthy and frankly racist to see him use the "I have Black friends" card to defend his bigotry. It sounds like something I would've seen in Get Out. And I'm sorry BleuPanda, that you had to go through all that.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:17 pm I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm glad Hymie is banned. Although he had good knowledge on stuff like 1950s doo-wop, he always came off as a troll. It was cringeworthy and frankly racist to see him use the "I have Black friends" card to defend his bigotry. It sounds like something I would've seen in Get Out. And I'm sorry BleuPanda, that you had to go through all that.
I still can't get over that. He literally showed PICTURES(!) of the Black friends he has. Does he not see the irony of that at all?!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

[bad joke]
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

StevieFan13 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm
Cold Butterfly wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:17 pm I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm glad Hymie is banned. Although he had good knowledge on stuff like 1950s doo-wop, he always came off as a troll. It was cringeworthy and frankly racist to see him use the "I have Black friends" card to defend his bigotry. It sounds like something I would've seen in Get Out. And I'm sorry BleuPanda, that you had to go through all that.
I still can't get over that. He literally showed PICTURES(!) of the Black friends he has. Does he not see the irony of that at all?!
That’s literally a Colbert Report recurring joke.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Cold Butterfly wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:17 pm It was cringeworthy and frankly racist to see him use the "I have Black friends" card to defend his bigotry. It sounds like something I would've seen in Get Out.
Y'know, Hymie would have voted for Obama a third time if he could have...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Parading your black friends around to prove you’re not racist is more racist than just not having black friends.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 pm Also, now that we've seen what he looks like in real life, he look like the kind of guy that' s not allowed within ten feet of a playground.
No matter what Bruce said or did, now I feel this is an improper comment…
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:29 pm
StevieFan13 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:17 pm Also, now that we've seen what he looks like in real life, he look like the kind of guy that' s not allowed within ten feet of a playground.
No matter what Bruce said or did, now I feel this is an improper comment…
You know what? Fair point, that crossed the line. Sorry about that.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”