AMF WC Classics Edition 127

AMF Weekly Chart

Poll ended at Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:37 am

Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
6%
The Cars - Just What I Need
6%
Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)
6%
David Bowie - Sound and Vision
4%
Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
7%
Lou Reed - Satellite of Love
7%
MGMT - Kids
5%
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
6%
The Band - The Weight
6%
Supergrass - Richard III
4%
My Bloody Valentine - Blown a Wish
3%
The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
4%
Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
4%
Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane
7%
Steve Reich - It's Gonna Rain
3%
Sly & the Family Stone - Family Affair
6%
The Jam - Funeral Pyre
3%
Kate Bush - The Big Sky
3%
Garbage - #1 Crush
5%
Neu! - Negativland
3%

Total votes: 116

spiritualized
Full of Fire

AMF WC Classics Edition 127

Post by spiritualized »

Hello everyone,
It's time for instalment n°127 of the Classics Chart, where YOU get to nominate and vote for the best songs ever in a tournament to the death ! Only the cream of the crop will go through the grueling EIGHT weeks of charting.

Nominations will follow the rules below

- only one of the first top 1000 AM songs can be nominated each week.
- A maximum of six of the top AM 1001-10000 songs can be nominated each week.
- that leaves a minimum of 3 places each week reserved for un-acclaimed songs (if you want more than 3, the fourth + unranked song will take the spot of a second tier one)
- No ranked song can be nominated twice. Ever.

The top 10 songs by votes (then by most recent nominations) will move on to the next week. In case of equal votes and starting weeks, more songs can advance to the next week. The 10 (or less) new nominations will be added to the pool for the next contest. In case there are less than 20 songs to compete, a randomised song from the 10000 AM songs will be added.

After 8 weeks in the top 10, the song will move to the Hall of Fame.

:scared-shocked: 115 votes last week (-18)
:scared-shocked: Depeche Mode doesn't let us down and reaches the top spot
:scared-shocked: 2 new entries : 5 new entries (and 4 ties at the bottom of the chart, hence only 7 entries allowed this week)
:text-bump: Kicked out this week : No one !!
:text-bump: Two Hoffers : DJ Shadow & Elliott Smith

“Never Let Me Down Again”
Depeche Mode

“♫ Never
want to
put my
feet back
down
on the
ground ♫”

“Never Let Me Down Again” was more than just another single from Music for the Masses. Unbeknownst to most fans, this song was so monumental that it would change the course of Depeche Mode’s history. Before “Never Let Me Down Again,” Depeche Mode was known primarily as an Electro-Pop/New Wave hits like “Just Can’t Get Enough.” It wasn’t until 1987’s Music for the Masses, specifically “Never Let Me Down Again” that Depeche Mode began incorporating a more stadium rock sound which would eventually culminate with the success of 1990’s “Personal Jesus” and Violator. Thinking of the band’s legacy already lead singer Dave Gahan said this about “Never Let Me Down Again,” “Things like Everything Counts and People Are People will last forever. I even bet that in ten years’ time there will be bands doing covers of those songs. Our songs always convey an atmosphere: sad or optimistic, it’s full of substance. The new single Never Let Me Down Again really gives me goose pimples. Not all our songs have this effect on me, but this particular one is wild. People call DM an electronic band but it’s wrong. We use anything, from the acoustic guitar to the percussion via the most sophisticated robots. The only thing we refuse are limitations and I don’t think there is a single band in the world that operates like us.”

Although my older brother was a fan of “Strangelove,” it wasn’t till I heard “Never Let Me Down Again,” as a teenager, that I became a true devoted Depeche Mode fan. There was something about that opening echoing guitar like riff that leads you into this unknown cryptic world of Martin Gore’s lyrics. When asked by Raygun, if fans come up to Martin and ask the meaning behind his songs, Gore coyly replied, “Yeah. There was one instance regarding ‘Never Let Me Down Again’ when two separate people came up to me after a show one night and said ‘I really like that song’. One of them thought it was a gay anthem and the other thought it was a drug anthem. They both loved the song, so that’s fine by me.”

It’s kind of ironic if you think towards the end of “Never Let Me Down Again” Mojo Magazine noticed in their comprehensive “Ultimate Music Companion,” the book, The Mojo Collection, “the coy tribute to Soft Cell’s Touch in the song’s coda.” Martin Gore and Alan Wilder’s initial homage to Soft Cell, on “Never Let Me Down Again,” that signaled a sonic change to the future sound of Depeche Mode. Although, Depeche Mode never completely abandoned their trademark electronic sound, by 1990 the band began incorporating more of a stadium rock sound that would lead them to a place of total commercial world domination with Violator.
Former Depeche Mode instrumentalist and composer Alan Wilder once told The Electricity Club, of his time with the band, “Never Let Me Down Again” was one of his all-time personal music highlights. In 1987, Wilder said this about Music for the Masses second single, “It stood out as an obvious single and suggested a Stripped-like feel. It has a very definite anthemic quality which is especially demonstrated when the song is performed live and the whole audience wave their hands in unison at the end – a Depeche high-point I think. This is one of my favorite Anton films. It has a very definite feel and a mood that compliments the song perfectly.” Wilder’s right, it wasn’t until Depeche Mode began collaborating with Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn that you can see visually that the band had that rock star aura. You can hear it from the anthem like quality, Alan Wilder raved about, all coming together with “Never Let Me Down Again.” It was the perfect melding of Martin Gore’s lyrical substance and Anton Corbjin’s visual style that would bring Depeche Mode’s music to the global masses.
“Never Let Me Down Again” was my first leap into the world of Depeche Mode. It was the mystery behind Martin Gore’s lyrics was he singing about sex, drugs or both? I realize that you’ve never truly experienced Music for the Masses most memorable song until you hear “Never Let Me Down Again” behind the wheel. It happened again today, I was reliving the experience, being sixteen again, letting the wind blow thoughts from freedom through my worried mind. As I cranked up the music, singing along, I felt this momentary sense of peace and calmness, maybe my favorite Music for The Masses mantra, more than a pop song, actually lifted my spirits and calmed me in the same breath, exhaling my timeless teenage driving anthem that will always help to—“Never Let Me Down Again.”

Listen to all 20 songs and enjoy voting for your favorite 10 songs... You can change your mind until the end of the 7 day period.

The AMF WC Classics Hall of Fame playlist :

Top Chart (number of weeks as n°1)

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World (1)
Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come (6)
Portishead - Wandering Star (1)
The Velvet Underground & Nico - Sunday Morning (8)
Radiohead - No Surprises (1)
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (2)
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (3)
Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime (1)
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (4)
Talking Heads - This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) (2)
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again (1)
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Re: AMF WC Classics Edition 127

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Stan Tracey | "Starless and Bible Black" (Bubbling Under)
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Black Crowes - Remedy (#3341)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Fennesz - Liminality (Unacclaimed)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I was not going to post this but, why not? I've participated in this game posting the songs on my all-time list on positions 201-250 (more or less the positions Bleupanda is posting in his own thread). And these were the results:

84 votes, 8 weeks, HOF: The Cure's "Boys Don't Cry"
76 votes, 8 weeks, HOF: The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby"
68 votes, 8 weeks, HOF: The Association's "Never My Love"
66 votes, 8 weeks, HOF: Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take Five"
55 votes, 6 weeks: Talking Heads' "Once in a Lifetime"
53 votes, 7 weeks: Big Star's "September Gurls"
49 votes, 6 weeks: Johnny Cash's "Hurt"
47 votes, 6 weeks: The Avalanches' "Since I Left You"
47 votes, 5 weeks: Neil Young's "Like a Hurricane"
40 votes, 6 weeks: Frankie Valli's "Can't Take My Eyes Off You"
36 votes, 4 weeks: Françoise Hardy's "Tous les garçons et les filles"
32 votes, 5 weeks: Deep Purple's "Highway Star (Live in Japan version)"
30 votes, 4 weeks: James Brown's "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
24 votes, 4 weeks: Todd Rundgren's "I Saw the Light"
22 votes, 3 weeks: Madness' "My Girl"
20 votes, 3 weeks: Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game"
19 votes, 3 weeks: Paul Simon's "Kodachrome"
15 votes, 2 weeks: Ludwig van Beethoven's "Marcia funebre"
14 votes, 2 weeks: Glenn Miller's "Moonlight Serenade" and Dick Dale and His Del-Tones' "Miserlou"
13 votes, 2 weeks: Robert Johnson's "Crossroad Blues"
12 votes, 2 weeks: AC/DC's "Highway to Hell"
7 votes, 1 week: The The's "Uncertain Smile (Extended)" and Bob Dylan's "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll"
6 votes, 1 week: Tortoise's "Glass Museum" and Wilco's "Jesus, etc."
5 votes, 1 week: Miles Davis' "Sanctuary," The Who's "5:15," David Byrne & Brian Eno's "Regiment," Hank Williams' "Long Gone Lonesome Blues," Stanley Myers' "Cavatina," De La Soul's "Me Myself and I" and Basement Jaxx's "Red Alert"
4 votes, 1 week: Mojave 3's "In Love with a View," Bob Dylan's "Workingman Blues #2," Eddie Cochran's "Somethin' Else," The Clash's "Version City," Joe Jackson's "Not Here, Not Now," Love Unlimited Orchestra's "Love's Theme," Dominique A's "Pour la peau," Marlene Dietrich's "Sag' mir, wo die Blumen Sind" and The Marcels' "Blue Moon"
3 votes, 1 week: Andrés Calamaro's "No son horas," Josele Santiago's "Con las manos vacías," Frank Zappa's "The Torture Never Stops," Lluís Llach's "Abril 74," King Crimson's "Cadence and Cascade" and Ry Cooder's "A Cancion Mixteca"
2 votes, 1 week: A Girl Called Eddy's "Golden"
1 vote, 1 week: David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto's "Forbidden Colours"

The positive surprise was the HOF for "Never My Love," something absolutely unexpected for me. And the negative was the complete lack of love for "Forbidden Colours," I mean, to my ears the song is great...
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

The Stone Roses - 'I Wanna Be Adored' (#945)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Jimi Hendrix - Bold As Love

Thanks!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (#2052)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

While listening through the Non-English tournament, I had an urge to hear:

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Bombs away (UR)
All I got inside is vacancy!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”