Spotify's "Only You" blurb

Father2TheMan
Different Class

Spotify's "Only You" blurb

Post by Father2TheMan »

My "unique pair" was Kanye West followed by Roy Orbison. Can totally see that.

My "listening through time" years were 1964, 1950 and 2021. [Two of those make sense to me. I've been using the 2021 sampling playlist as a "palate cleanser" after super intensive doses of nothing but a year from the sixties or nothing but a single artist for the decade and artist of the month polls. I have no idea how or why 1950 showed up though.]

My "unique genre combination" was Canadian CCM (represented by Bruce Cockburn) and piano blues (represented by Fats Domino)

My "unique moment" was playing Solomon Burke's "Cry to Me" in the morning. [This also befuddled me.]

My "audio birth chart" was Sun sign- The Velvet Underground (likely based mostly on a bunch of repreated listening for their artist of the month a few months ago), Moon sign for my "most emotive" artist- Frank Sinatra and Rising Sign-Elf Power (I was sampling them. I don't think I would say I'm a fan).
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Re: Spotify's "Only You" blurb

Post by Gillingham »

Looks fun, but not really impressed by this gimmick to be honest.

Pair: Lana del Rey and Herbie Hancock. (Logic and kind of logic but a bit random)
Time: 1965, 1954 and 2021 (guess they picked 1954 just because not a lot of Spotify listeners listen to anything before the 60's?)
Genre combo: Music podcasts, afrobeat and pagan black metal (Funny combination. Pagan black metal is very specific...)
Moment: Herbie Hancock - Little one in the night (OK...)
Birth chart: Sun: Bob Dylan; Moon: Wardruna; Rising: Arab Strap (Sun is just whatever you listen to most it seems. And yes, I had a Dylan relisten project in the first couple of months of 2021. But 'emotive' for Wardruna, not sure why...

This seems to be quite random really, aside from some obvious picks (for me 2021 and Bob Dylan. And to a lesser extent Lana del Rey, 1965 and music podcasts).
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Pair: The Beatles, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Time: 1999, 1950 and 2021
Genre combo: Music podcasts, vintage old-time and slowcore
Moment: Jelly Roll Morton and His Red Hot Peppers -Steamboat Stomp
Birth chart: Sun: Radiohead; Moon: The Rolling Stones; Rising: Jimmy Giuffre

Yeah, pretty underwhelmed. Dinner Guests Dylan, Del Rey and Perfume Genius... I'm out.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My Music Mountain project really shines through here.

Unique pair: Black Sabbath & Taylor Swift. Indeed a unique pair. I don't feel I listen to Taylor Swift that much, but what do I know?
Time: 2017, 1952, 2021. At least we all seem to agree on the fifties and 2021 here, don't we?
Unique genre combo: British blues and Experimental ambient... If only these two would really be combined at last.
Unique moment: Listening to Arianne's Komm susser Tod at night. Yes, sometimes it do be that way.

Audio-Birth chart:
Sun Sign: Aimee Mann. Sure, why not?
Moon Sign: The Microphones. Yes, they are emotional, aren't they?
Rising Sign: Rustie. He seems to have stopped making music. Not sure if there will be more for me to get out of him.
Fun fact: none of these artists had released music by the time I was born.

My perfect dinner guests. I was allowed to chose one out of three three times. These will be dining with me soon: Sonic Youth, Julie London and 10,000 Maniacs. Sounds legit.

This is all very silly and I can't find any meaning behind it. I like it a lot, obviously.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Unique pair : Michael Jackson & Dan Deacon. Both are great for dancing, they fit well !

Time : 2000, 1956, 2021... honestly it could have shown any year between 1950 and now without surprising me too much.

Unique genres : Life Science (that's on the podcast side), Indie music : Baltimore (Dan Deacon strikes again), French Pop

Unique moment : Cat Power's Sea of Love at night. Well, I use it as a lullaby for Myriam, so at night obviously.

Sun Sign : The Notwist : that has to be my girlfriend's influence, don't listen to them much but our google home is using my account
Moon : alva noto, pretty great ambiant album from last year, wouldn't say I listened to it that much though
Rising Sign : The Style Council, I listened to Café Bleu for the moderately acclaimed game... and that's it !

Dinner with Run the Jewels, Hot Chip and Beastie Boys should be fun (I could have had Elliott Smith and Daniel Johnston which would be a totally different mood))
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I got Kanye West and R.E.M. - must have been those artists' polls on the forum yesterday.

My dinner was SAULT, Jessie Ware, and Miles Davis...sounds fun.

2019, 1951, 2021...looks like we're all ending up with a random 50s year in there.

UK post-punk revival and Brazilian indie - sounds about right for my recent listening.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:59 pm Pair: The Beatles, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Sorry to draw attention to my own post, but I just put this together... referenced in wikipedia entry on "She Loves You":
""Yeah, yeah, yeah" was to have a great effect on the Beatles' image – in some parts of Europe, they became known as the Yeah-Yeahs."
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Beatles and Gang Gang Dance.

Experimental ambient to Canadian singer songwriter

Sun: SAULT
Moon: Delphine Dora
Rising: Arab Strap

Dinner: Magnetic Fields, The National, Bob Dylan
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Unique Pair: Daft Punk and Wire
Time Travel: 1951,1983, and 2021
Unique Genre Combination: History (podcast), Art Punk, Dance-Punk
Unique Moment: Listening to The Police's Synchronicity II at night.

I didn't get a birth chart but was asked to invite bands to a "dream dinner party," where I invited U2, Alice in Chains, and Radiohead.
There is No More Firmament.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 pm 2015,1961,2021
Jirin, you didn't get a fifties year. Get with the times!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Most of the 50s stuff I listen to is cool jazz.
Edre Depeche Head
Movin' On Up

Post by Edre Depeche Head »

My unique pair was Post Malone & Bloc Party. I can totally see that, Post Malone isn't especially my all-time favorite current artist but I always come back to many of his songs over the course of the year and generally really like his sound and personality. And Silent Alarm by Bloc Party is a phenomenal album though I don't see much crossover.

My listening through time was 1986 (Depeche Mode), 1955 (Johnny Cash), and 2021 (Wavves). Also not surprising at all.

My genre combo was Politics (David Pakman podcast), Melodic Rap (Post Malone once again), and Electo-Industrial (Ministry). I can't believe political podcasts even made it in and that Posty arrived once more. But it is true that I have listened to a shit ton of industrial music the past year.

My unique moment is playing Blasphemous Rumors by Depeche Mode at night. That hit a little too close to home.

My audio birth chart was Sun Sign (Depeche Mode), Moon Sign (C418), and Rising Sign (Stevie Wonder). I genuinely don't know what any of this means.

My dream dinner party was Elliott Smith, Grimes, and Kanye West... I wonder how that would be because the three of them couldn't be any more different.

Overall, I actually enjoy when Spotify does fun stuff like this because it gives music listeners both casual and obsessive something fun to look at and not take too serious.
Edre the Depeche Head
acr0320
Are You Experienced?

Post by acr0320 »

My unique pair was Drake and Sinead O’Connor (fair enough)
Years were 73, 61, 2021
Genres were Basketball, Mexican pop, acid rock (incredible)
Apparently I’m unique in listening to U2’s One Tree Hill at night
For dinner guests I chose Liz Phair, Rolling Stones, & Santana so should be fun
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Unique pair: Tortoise followed by Kanye West.

Listening through time: 1983, 1951 and 2020. I suppose the first date is the mean and the other two the time range of our listening (if this is true we have Jackson with 2019 as the one who listens mostly to recent music and Father2TheMan with 1964 as the one who listen mostly oldies).

Unique genre combination: British Folk and Trap (that was a surprise).

Unique moment: playing Elvis Presley's "Trouble" in the afternoon.

Audio birth chart: Sun sign Elvis Presley, Moon sign ("most emotive" artist) Robert Fripp and Rising sign Madrugada.

Dinner guests: Miles Davis, The Beach Boys and The Magnetic Fields

Like many others, AMF games (especially the Artist of the Month and Moderately Acclaimed) influenced the results.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Honorio wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:02 am Listening through time: 1983, 1951 and 2020. I suppose the first date is the mean and the other two the time range of our listening (if this is true we have Jackson with 2019 as the one who listens mostly to recent music and Father2TheMan with 1964 as the one who listen mostly oldies).
I don't think this is it. These results clearly reflect the last half year (I don't see any references to anything I listened much to before 2021) and my listening in general hasn't slanted towards recent music as of late, so 2017 seems very unlikely. Besides, I had a bit of a Hoagy Carmichael binge recently which would put my starting date well before 1952. I'm not sure what it does mean though.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were 10th, 50th and 90th percentiles or something like that.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

I don't know really what means too (even if I still think I'm probably right) but the example of Hoagy Carmichael can be misleading. Since the older material in Spotify is filed under compilations most of the material of Hoagy Carmichael appears on Spotify as released between 1998 and 2019 (if you click on the artist's discography you can see it).
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Pair: The Beatles, The Sound
Time: 1976 (Flamin' Groovies), 1950 (Ella Fitzgerald) and 2021 (Black Country, New Road)
Genre combo: Dunedin Sound, Space Age Pop
Moment: Shake Some Action from the Flamin' Groovies
Birth chart: Sun: R.E.M.; Moon: Brian Eno; Rising: Mance Lipscomb
Dinner with David Bowie, Talking Heads and Sam Cooke

Last Year, due to the 70s poll, I probably listened to Shake Some Action the most. This explains 1976 and the "moment".
I don't know where space age pop and Mance Lipscomb come from, but both are welcome to this interesting overview.

It certainly looks like this is derived from recent listens (6 months or a year), so let's see what the overview looks like at the end of 2021. More sixties stuff I assume ...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”