The Shuffle Game - Season 4 starting, get your lists ! (6 players minimum)

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: A

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm I appreciate Alice has been a huge influence of many a current rock band (Foo Fighters, anyone ?) so let's give him the credit he deserves.
Alice Cooper was one of the central artists of my early rock education/ appreciation. He's probably not the one that will most be remembered through history when looking back on the rock era, but for me he remains perhaps the best of all rock's sleazeballs, with the exception of Mick Jagger. I have a real soft spot for Alice Cooper.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

spiritualized wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm Very classic "dad rock" list, I wonder if this is something caracteristic with your music preferences, Madzong ?

1. Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising - of course, this is going to win, no doubt about it. A classic CCR song, although I think Green River is a par below its companion desert-island albums from CCR.
2. The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution - I always wanted to listen to the Raconteurs, and here we are, a very good song. I can't put my finger on it, but it's reminding me of another band (White Stripes, maybe ?).
3. Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) : This brings back memories of my very early youth. I was into The Cure, Joy Division, etc...at the end of the 80s and Simple Minds were never far away from my goth listening sessions.
4. Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2 : I always thought that The Clash's Mick Jones change of musical direction was quite drastic in the 80s. Sometimes it failes miserably and other times, it worked. This song is one of the latter.
5. Alice Cooper - Unfinished Sweet - Boy, Madzong, you ARE a huge Alice Cooper fan ! With AMF Classics, and all the nominations around, I feel I have listened to more Alice Cooper than I would ever have without you. The song is long, but pretty good. I appreciate Alice has been a huge influence of many a current rock band (Foo Fighters, anyone ?) so let's give him the credit he deserves.
6. Dan The Automator - Ganges A Go-Go : The odd one out in this list, but a refreshing sound.
7. Crosby, Stills & Nash - See The Changes - Really like the acoustic, folksy guitar but not impressed by the singing. It's OK, I guess, as background music, but not a song I would actively seek out
8. Paul McCartney - Hi Hi Hi - Not been a fan of McCartney's post Beatles, harder rocking stuff.
9. Doobie Brothers - Without You. Very Southern Rock song, I'm not very familiar with the Doobie Brothers, but not my cup of tea, especially compared to the kings (see first position). I do enjoy the occasional Lynyrd Skynyrd but find the revival stuff much more to my taste (Hear hear Black Crowes)
10. Jethro Tull - Memory Bank : another 70s act which I have not clicked for yet. Too "unbasic" for its own good, it doesn't stick
To be honest I just took my top 10 most recently played from Spotify for this list.

It’s not overly characteristic of what I listen to (Doobie Brothers and Jethro Tull in particular).

The others all make sense though!

E=MC2 is there due to it being in biggest fan but I do play that song a bit (and enjoy it)

Dan The Automator - I am a HUGE fan of though.
In my top 20 albums I would include three of his side projects: Deltron 3030, Handsome Boy Modelling Club’s Hiw Your Girl?, and UNKLE’s Psyence Fiction. Gorillaz first album and Dr Octagon’s first album would make my top 100 and his contributions to Jon Spencer Blues Explosion’s Acme makes that a top 500 album. I used to blast all of these (bar Dr Octagon - too explicit!!!) when I was a manager of a record store back in the day!

Ganges A Go-Go comes from his album of remixes of Bollywood soundtracks. I love most of his stuff as previously stated and one of my friends recommended me this album.

If I had to list my top 10 genres it would be as follows:

Glam Rock
Punk / Proto Punk
New Wave
Hard Rock
Grunge
Brit Pop
Alternative Rock /Indie Rock
New Zealand Rock
Heavy Metal
Hip Hop
Electronica

Do that’s what Alice Cooper is there - Glam Rock! (Check out my profile pic - The Holy Trinity of Bowie, Iggy and Lou!) and Simple Minds - New Wave!

Paul McCartney is there because I was trying to recreate The Beatles ‘Black Album’ on Spotify of post Beatles stuff (imagining what album the Beatles would have created if they hadnt broken up). If you’ve seen the movie Boyhood you’ll get shag I mean. I preferred my version to the one in the movie. The funny thing was I hadn’t listened to this track much until I saw this movie.

The Raconteurs are there because I wanted to listen to more that the few songs I knew well (I do love me some Steady as She Goes - a top 1000 song for me!)

Bad Moon Rising is there due to my kids loving my Halloween Playlist which seems yo get played all year round! I like it too but Fortunate Son is my favourite track of theirs overall.

CSNY is on there because I’ve had a go at replicating lost albums on Spotify recently and I had a go at making Human Highway.

Not sure how Jethro Tull got on there though - this surprised me - I think it was on some soundtrack to a TV series… Hang on I remember now - it was on the HBO TV series ‘Vinyl’ soundtrack.

Not a big Jethro Tull fan (or Prog in general) as previously stated but have cons to appreciate the Aqualung album.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

mileswide wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:37 pm
Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC² 10 Always was going to my #1 on this list, even though my score is for the radio edit; just edges out the Mescaleros' version of Redemption Song as the best tune by an erstwhile Clash member in my book.
On that note I have to say that one my best concert moments was at The Big Day Out back in 2000 when I was making my way across to see some electronics act (Chemical Bothers? Fatboy Slim?) that I heard Jos Strummer and the Mescaleros playing this live and then following it up with London Calling. Not a huge crowd around him on one of the smaller stages but he totally killed it! Glad I got to see him before he passed.

Also if you love Joe Strummer’s version, check out the version (from the same sessions?) duet with Johnny Cash. This is a great outtake from Johnny Cash’s American Album series. It sounds like they removed Cash’s verses and released it on the Mescalero album.
Brad
Higher Ground

Re: The Shuffle Game - S1E5 : Madzong's's List

Post by Brad »

I saw B.A.D. in the mid- '90's (or maybe they were just Big Audio at that point?), when Ranking Roger was with the band. Nothing mind-blowing, but fun.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S1E5 : Madzong's's List

Post by spiritualized »

OK 8 voters for this episode, thank you to all !
Here are the results

10. Jethro Tull - Memory Bank (-34)
9. Doobie Brothers - Without You (-24)
8 (tie). Alice Cooper - Unfinished Sweet (-18)
7. Dan The Automator - Ganges A Go-Go (-16)
6. Crosby, Stills & Nash - See The Changes (-16).
5. Paul McCartney - Hi Hi Hi (-14)
4. Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere (In Summertime)(-10)
3. The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution (-6)
2. Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2 (-2)
1. Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (2)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

The Shuffle Game - S1E6 : Safetycat's List

Post by spiritualized »

And this is Safetycat's turn to be on the spot !

1. Disturbed - Shout 2000
2. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer
3. Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery
4. Green Day - She
5. Hoobastank - Out of Control
6. Crowded House - Silent House
7. R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984 [from the Murmur Special Edition Bonus Tracks])
8. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version)
9. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (from Les Misérables - The Musical That Swept The World [10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall])
10. The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind

Deadline for posting your ranked lists : 05/07 @ 20.00 Western European time
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Madzong wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:34 am On that note I have to say that one my best concert moments was at The Big Day Out back in 2000 when I was making my way across to see some electronics act (Chemical Bothers? Fatboy Slim?) that I heard Jos Strummer and the Mescaleros playing this live and then following it up with London Calling. Not a huge crowd around him on one of the smaller stages but he totally killed it! Glad I got to see him before he passed.

Also if you love Joe Strummer’s version, check out the version (from the same sessions?) duet with Johnny Cash. This is a great outtake from Johnny Cash’s American Album series. It sounds like they removed Cash’s verses and released it on the Mescalero album.
You're so lucky, I only got into The Clash in 2002, so I wouldn't have chance to see Strummer live. He's been a colossus in my musical upbringing ever since though and I can't imagine him not giving it all for a gig!

I do like the Strummer/Cash version but it's almost too much for me to hear two legends like that one of their last recordings, as wet as that might sound. I feel like Joe's Redemption Song sees him make peace with the end.
All I got inside is vacancy!
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Re: The Shuffle Game - S1E6 : Safetycat's List

Post by Safetycat »

Before I rank my list, the method was literally pressing shuffle 10 times on my entire iTunes library (~30000 songs).

Despite the sample size, this method still managed to give me two tracks from the same album (The Byrds and the International Submarine Band are both from the expanded edition of 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo')
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Crowded House - Silent House
2. Green Day - She
3. R.E.M. - Catapult
4. The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind
5. Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery
6. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer
7. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week
8. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop
9. Disturbed - Shout 2000

10. Hoobastank - Out of Control

I changed my rating due to finding out (below) that Ian Watkins featured in the track. Scumbag.
Last edited by Madzong on Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Everyone away from their assigned listening for America Day? Ah well guess I'll finally post!

1. Crowded House - Silent House - 10
Extremely highly rated song in my library that I mostly listen to to feel sad.
2. R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984 [from the Murmur Special Edition Bonus Tracks]) - 8
I think I prefer the album version but I this is one of the best tracks on Murmur.
3. The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind - 8
Just a banger of a country ballad.
4. Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery - 8
Some of my library is unlistened to - this is one such song. Very taken with it immediately.
5. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version) - 7
I know nothing of why this act was different to the Byrds. It's good though!
6. Green Day - She - 6
It's pretty good, but lacks some force to it (it might be the mix? it's quite flat)
7. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (from Les Misérables - The Musical That Swept The World [10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall]) - 6
Well, I'd have chosen another song from this album, but that's the point I guess. This at least has one of the best scenes of the musical.
8. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer - 5
This song sounds like it's been stitched together out of 5 other Berry songs.
9. Disturbed - Shout 2000 - 3
It's not good at all. Why do I devote 4MB of my hard-drive to it? Well, you see, I find it funny.
10. Hoobastank - Out of Control - 2
Huh, I don't remember this song. Sounds nothing like The Reason, more like off-brand Foo Fighters. Not huge on it really, but let's look it up to see why it's like this.
"The song also features backing vocals by Ian Watkins and Jamie Oliver of the Welsh alternative metal band Lostprophets"
Oh, goddamn it
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

A minor week for me. Not much I dislike, but also definitely not anything that really makes an impression.

1. Green Day - She
Although not one of Dookie's most well-known song for a reason it is still a solid addition to the Green Day discography. Light fun.
2. The Byrds - You're Still On My Mind
The best of the two Sweetheart of the Rodeo songs is a light, but affecting country song. Good melody.
3. Hoobastank - Out of Control
It hits harder than Green Day, but doesn't have as much character. Still good for some rock energy.
4. Crowded House - Silent House
Soft sounds from the crowded, yet silent house. Nice, as their songs usually are.
5. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version)
Yet another solid song here that I probably won't return to soon. Nice, warm sound though.
6. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer
From an album that contains some of my favorite Chuck Berry tracks, but this isn't particularly one of them. I like it, as I like Berry in general, but this isn't one that stands out among all his songs.
7. Maximo Park - A Cloud of Mystery
Average indie song. Not much to say about it.
8. R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984 [from the Murmur Special Edition Bonus Tracks])
It's a good song, but the audio quality really puts me off here.
9. Disturbed - Shout 2000
On the one hand an interesting reinvention of the Tears for Fears classic in a more metal, hardcore mode, on the other hand the song seems to resist to be sung with grunts. It doesn't really work in the end. Too bad, as I am probably one of the few people who dares to admit to like Disturbed's version of The Sound of Silence.
10. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (from Les Misérables - The Musical That Swept The World [10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall])
I only seen the Tom Hooper movie version of the musical, never a stage performance. I hated that film, but that's neither here nor there, I guess. I don't recall this "song" at all. Song really needs to be in qoutation marks as this is just monologuing/ dialoguing while singing. There is little sense of structure of melody here and on its own it doesn't work for me at all. It even annoys.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Extending this for another 24hrs !

Mine will be posted soon-ish, but I would love to hear from mileswide, Brad and Romain ?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Hoobastank - Out of Control - I really really like this. Maybe I'm sad, but I love punchy guitars and screaming emotional lyrics from the top of your lungs. Didn't know this song, but definitely a keeper.
2. Green Day - She - Classic Green Day, kind of a deep cut from Dookie. I loved playing this song on Green Day's Rock Band.
3. Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery. I've always had a soft spot for Maximo Park. Don't know if it's the singer's deep voice or the clear indie rock direction they are taking, I've never heard a disappointing song.
4. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version). Cool, nifty little rocker. Does everything by the numbers, but it's nice enough !
5. Crowded House - Silent House. More in tune with their melodious songs, definitely their strong point. This is long and indeed, sad
6. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer. Whenever I listen to Chuck Berry, I hear "You Never Can Tell". This is the same.
7. R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984 [from the Murmur Special Edition Bonus Tracks]). I must have listened to hundreds of live R.E.M. songs, with all of the "deluxe" versions or the fully fledged live albums. They've always been very good and a pleasure to listen to. This is rather average, but above board.
8. Disturbed - Shout 2000 - I actually didn't mind this cover of Shout. Nicely accomplished, immediately recognisable.
9. The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind - Not a big fan of country music in general.
10. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (from Les Misérables - The Musical That Swept The World [10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall]) - I cannot stand musicals, I'm sorry.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

1. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (from Les Misérables - The Musical That Swept The World [10th Anniversary Concert At The Royal Albert Hall]): Love the musical, and also the movie (though Hooper was definitely the wrong director for it). I do think this works very well if you're familiar with the entire thing.
2. Crowded House - Silent House: Nicely built, with a great atmosphere
3. The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind: Never knew why Parsons was supposed to be better than other country artists. I do like him, though.
4. R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984 [from the Murmur Special Edition Bonus Tracks]): The song is very good, but the live part is more damaging than enriching
5. Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery: Very enjoyable
6. Hoobastank - Out of Control: Pretty energy-fueled, but staying rather shallow
7. Disturbed - Shout 2000: Better than the original
8. Green Day - She: Rather solid, but missing the certain something
9. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version): Doesn't do a lot for me.
10. Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer: Copying yourself isn't the formula of success for me.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

I was the under the illusion it was 8:00 rosbif time (and I've missed that cut-off anyway) :oops:

The Byrds - You're Still on My Mind 8.5 When Gram Parsons left The Byrds, they replaced most of his vocals on this album with Roger McGuinn's but they did themselves a favour keeping them here, Parsons gliding through the jaunty honky-tonk tune/lachrymose lyrics juxtaposition with just enough grit in his velveteen croon.

Green Day - She 8 The buzzsaw bass intro keeps you on your toes before the overdriving guitar sends your head into a frenzy. All its sonic elements are too addictive to worry much about the words.

R.E.M. - Catapult (Live in Seattle, Washington, June 27, 1984) 8 I've read the band felt like they'd played so many takes of this track for the Murmur sessions that they'd strangled the spontaneity out of it. It doesn't come across that way on record but there is a certain looseness to this performance that doesn't act to the detriment of Michael Stipe's singing, which was pretty ropey on other early live recordings I've heard. Pointless trivia: I'm sure Stipe was on crutches for this gig and his " Son of a" outburst at the end came after he stumbled.

Maxïmo Park - A Cloud of Mystery 6 I find Paul Smith too arch on the little I've listened to by the band but I can't pinpoint much wrong with this melodic, streamlined effort.

Crowded House - Silent House 5 One that I can envisage as meaningful to a longstanding fan but no more than gentle to these ears.

Disturbed - Shout 2000 5 Gains points by the band not taking themselves too seriously (their collective tongue is in cheek with these backing vocals, surely?)
Safetycat wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:39 am 5. The International Submarine Band - One Day Week (Single Version) - 7
I know nothing of why this act was different to the Byrds.
The ISB were the band The Byrds poached Gram Parsons from- now you know!

Parsons established his natural voice on the Submarines' only album Safe at Home and had already demonstrated some top songwriting chops on his demos, later released posthumously, but hadn't found a distinctive direction on the evidence of this track. 5 from me.

Chuck Berry - Go Bobby Soxer 4 Berry loved going on autopilot but the drummer puts a shift in on this song at least, some infectious double-time rolls in the chorus.

Hoobastank - Out of Control 4 Approve of the energy, just not the petulance.

Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop 2 Not many musicals I'm fond of and exposition sung in an exaggeratedly RP singing voice just sounds wrong (and hilarious) to me most of the time, especially out of context.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

No time for comments, sorry…
1. R.E.M. - Catapult
2. Byrds - you’re still on my mind
3. International submarine band - one day week
4. Maximo park - a cloud of mystery
5. Crowded house - silent house
6. Chuck berry - go Bobby soxer
7. Green Day - she
8. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop
9. Hoobastank - out of control
10. Disturbed - shout 2000

Thanks!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game

Post by spiritualized »

Romain wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:11 am
Romain, one last ditch attempt at Safetycat's list before closing his list ?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

OK time for tallying the results !
Only 7 Voters this time, which to me, sounds like a strict minimum for this game to carry on.

10. Disturbed - shout 2000 (-39)
9. Claude-Michel Schönberg - On Parole/The Bishop (-32)
8. Chuck berry - go Bobby soxer (-29)
7. Hoobastank - out of control (-18)
6. International submarine band - one day week (-17)
5. Maximo park - a cloud of mystery (-10)
4. R.E.M. - Catapult (-3)
3. Green Day - she (-2)
2. Byrds - you’re still on my mind (-1)
1. Crowded house - Silent House (1)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Next up is the man on holiday, BRAD !
A bit of an exception, as we only have 9 tracks, Caterpillar's Miannin is not to be found anywhere.
Even Soulseek doesn't know it, so unless Brad can find a way to upload on a YT video, we get nine tracks !

1. Caterpillar - Miannin
2. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away
3. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision
4. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966)
5. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia)
6. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To?
7. OutKast - Spread
8. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now
9. Sarah Vaughan - Jim
10. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky)

You've got until the 12/07/2021 @ 15.00 WE time to rank your list !

I count on you !
mileswide
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S1E7 : Brad's List

Post by mileswide »

I should be able to divulge my thoughts on Brad's selection later today after another listen, spiritualized, just been focusing on my AT songs...
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

OutKast - Spread 8 3 Stacks returns to breakbeats with similar levels of heady joy to B.O.B. and the way he styles out a clumsy pick-up line adds charm.

Caetano Veloso - Haiti (Live In Bahia) 7 Engaging contrast between distorted instrumental sections and vocal crowdpleasing.

Boston Spaceships - Earmarked for Inclusion 7 The occasional bleating of the singer slightly tarnishes an invigorating pile-up of primaeval riffs.

Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks - Take 'Em away 7 I'd like the piano playing to be as strident as Smith is here but it was always going to be difficult to get anything to match the attitude on display.

Explosions in the Sky - What Do You Go Home to? 7 A crescendo would be welcome but I'm being greedy- not all post-rock has to be dramatic- and this has a sense of implacable melancholy.

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man (Live in Newcastle) 6 Stuart Maconie once said that Dylan songs are like speedway: all the exciting stuff happens in the first minute; I really can't agree most of the time but the dirge aspects of the original are indulged in this performance, not enough to undermine the core of what is a great song though.

Sarah Vaughan - Jim 5 Far too smooth for my liking in spite of Vaughan's impeccable phrasing.

Elvis Presley - Any Day Now 4 Perky enough but the parroting BVs get wearying.

Big Star - Ballad of El Goodo (Alternate Lyrics) 3 This band should tick the boxes for me but I don't much care for anything on their albums, much less this sadly as I find it cloying.
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

OutKast | "Spread": I think I prefer The Love Below, and this is a good example. A lot of fun.

Explosions in the Sky | "What Do You Go Home To?": Creates a great atmosphere while always staying focused.

Caetano Veloso | "Haiti (Live in Bahia)": I like Veloso a lot and this is a good song with lots of interesting elements and relatively good sound quality.

Bob Dylan | "Ballad of a Thin Man (Live at Newcastle, 1966)": Not as good as the studio version, but it's still fine.

Bessie Smith | "Pinch Back Blues": Smith's vocal performance is good, but the song doesn't really go anywhere; same with the piano

Sarah Vaughan | "Jim": Vaughan has a great voice, but it doesn't get used much on this track. The trumpet is nice though.

Boston Spaceships | "Earmarked for Collision": This has potential, but squanders it by playing it safe and turning back to a rather boring chorus again.

Big Star | "The Ballad of El Goodo (Alternate Lyrics)": Big Star made a crazy jump in quality between their first two albums that were rather boring and the masterful 3rd. This is one of the better early ones, but I still don't really like it.

Elvis Presley | "Any Day Now": Has some nice elements, but doesn't convince me completely.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Two voters only ?
I've been away and back for a day, you've been slacking, people !

I'll extend this until we have at least six rankings
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

1. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky) - Nevermind mileswide, he hasn't clicked yet :music-listening: . I discovered Big Star through listening to Teenage Fanclub, who were massively influenced by Big Star. This is a very good song, love the tune, the backing harmonies.
2. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To? : Post-rock bliss. To be fair, I'm not keen on the post-rock label. I think it's a bit reductive. This is pretty instrumental music, guitar based, with unusual song structure.
3. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision : Immediately recognised Robert Pollard's (from Guided By Voices fame). The guy could never sing, but this song has a far more classic rock structure than in his other, off the handle, outfit.
4. Sarah Vaughan - Jim - Cool, relaxed vocal jazz. I need this sometimes.
5. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966). Not a big supporter of Dylan, but this is a good song, a good live version and bonus points for the interviews in the middle !
6. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia) - Surprisingly hard song for an artist who I associated with bossanova, maybe wrongly ?
7. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now - Not the best Elvis song, but always pleasant to hear a bit of his crooning.
8. OutKast - Spread - I find the dissonant piano phrase rather disturbing, fortunately it doesn't go on for the whole song.
9. Caterpillar - Miannin* : I found a copy and uploaded it to YT, here is the link
An OK punk-rock tune, but blighted by amateur-ish production and sound. Definitely lo-fi.
10. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away : I'm not a fan of older songs. This follows the rule. Honky Tonk Piano, poor quality recording, I find no pleasure in this.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966): I bought a box set of every known recording from Dylan's '66 tour (36 discs) about 5 years ago. It's great, though some of the recordings are sub-par in quality of course. And there's a lot of song repetition. This last point doesn't bother me much though, as Dylan has a way of subtly changing his phrasing from day to day, and his backing band on the "electric" songs (The Band, essentially) always keep things interesting. I really like this particular version and am happy there's video footage of it (dig the young Garth Hudson!). My #240 all-time favorite song (4th fave Dylan)
2. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky): My #543 AT fave; "alternate lyrics" don't change that a bit
3. OutKast - Spread: Fun song from a fun album; never thought about it much before but it's a super-catchy track; great production
4. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now: Perhaps not Elvis' greatest but a solid track; tremendous voice evident here
5. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia): Caetano has a way of keeping it interesting. Another great voice
6. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision: Robert Pollard's projects are usually a mixed bag, but even the lower-end material manages to be more engaging than most other indie bands. The sheer output from this man is incredible
7. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To?: A good listen, not much more needs to be said
8. Sarah Vaughan - Jim: Yet another outstanding voice, but I agree the song is perhaps not among her best
9. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away: From the Complete Bessie Smith - not every song of hers was great; this ones ok but I can't pretend it's one of her ground-breakers
10. Caterpillar - Miannin: Caterpillar was an indie band from the '90's. They were never great, but very much of their time. They did a split single with Superchunk at one time, if that gives any indication of their musical direction. This song, I fear, was not a standout by any means; I have no doubt it would have landed near the bottom of your lists anyway.

Thanks!
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky)
2. OutKast - Spread
3. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now
4. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966)
5. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision
6. Caterpillar - Miannin
7. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To?
8. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia)
9. Sarah’s Vaughan - Jim
10. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Sorry for the late list. I'm more busy in work than I have ever been and this game became just one game too many.

1. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966)
This song is a highlight of any Dylan concert it appears in. There is something about the menacing stomp of the song with de condescending lyrics that works very well in a live setting. Maybe Dylan is secretly judging his audience here? That makes it funny in combination with the street interviews.
2. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To?
Wonderful instruments that allow me to bathe in melancholy? I’m always here for such things.
3. Sarah’s Vaughan – Jim
Another song that gets me in an appealing mood. I don’t ask for more really.
4. OutKast – Spread
Entertaining, sexy song that adds another layer to Andrés talents.
5. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia) –
Like Spiritualized I was surprised how much of a punch this has. An engaging performance.
6. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision
It isn’t like a typical R.E.M. song, but I was reminded of that band for some reason. A good listen I see no need to return to.
7. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now
Elvis in Memphis doesn’t really capture the side of Elvis I like the most, but I can’t deny he can sell these types of songs with his voice, even if I never really care.
8. Caterpillar – Miannin
It’s rather decent punk that just loses points for being unoriginal and unmemorable.
9. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away
Great singer of course and she gives it her all, but there are songs I’ve heard by her were the music kept up better, like Mileswide already alluded to.
10. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky)
I haven’t clicked with this band either. This song is fine, but I don’t see the big deal.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am Sorry for the late list. I'm more busy in work than I have ever been and this game became just one game too many.
Hey Rob, No worry, I actually made it clear at the beginning of the game that there should be no pressure.
If I do a Season 2, maybe I'll wait until we have a number of rankings which are representative enough rather than give a firm deadline.

There is Schuttelbirne's list to go after Brad's, do you think there's enough interest to justify a season 2 ? (Does that sound like a Netflix executive ? Yes it does !)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Rob wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am 1. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966)
Maybe Dylan is secretly judging his audience here? That makes it funny in combination with the street interviews
Great point; I have little doubt that here - as with Maggie's Farm at Newport '65 - Dylan is looking directly at the audience and figuratively saying, "I don't work for you. Changes are happening - get on board or get lost."
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

spiritualized wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:36 pm 1. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky) - Nevermind mileswide, he hasn't clicked yet :music-listening:
:D It must only be a matter of time that I become a Big Star devotee, I seem to remember they're Mike Mills' favourite band and he's got to have a point, no?

I can't deny both the post-rock label and my formulaic classification of it in my earlier comment are glib either. I was just flailing for a way to articulate my feeling of liking but not loving the Explosions in the Sky track.

I've heard Caterpillar - Miannin and give it 6. It seems to be on the cusp of becoming something special, maybe a noisy attainment of catharsis, but it cuts off at its peak, making it no more than a somewhat inspired tune-up session.

Oh and because rankings are more important in this game, I'll bung Miannin in at 6th place ahead of Dylan.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Here are Brad's results

10. Caterpillar - Miannin (-31)
9. Bessie Smith - Pinchbacks-Take ‘Em Away (-26)
8. Elvis Presley - Any Day Now (-16)
7. Sarah Vaughan - Jim (-16)
6. Boston Spaceships - Earmarked For Collision (-14)
5. Caetano Veloso - Haiti (from Live In Bahia) (-8)
4. Big Star - The Ballad Of El Goodo (alternate lyrics) (from Keep An Eye On The Sky) (-2)
3. Explosions In The Sky - What Do You Go Home To? (-2)
2. OutKast – Spread (3)
1. Bob Dylan - Ballad Of A Thin Man (from The 1966 Live Recordings - Newcastle, May 21, 1966) (3)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - S1E8 : Schüttelbirne's List

Post by spiritualized »

And for the final list !
Episode 8's season finale is Schüttelbirne's list

Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau
Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself
Miles Davis | Tutu
Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep
Wire | A Mutual Friend
Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied
Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land
Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl
Gang of Four | Damaged Goods
Léo Ferré | Jolie môme

Deadline for ranking : 21/07/2021 @ 20:00 West Europe Time. Will be extended if less than 6 rankings.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Let's go for this final list, I love its variety and resourcefulness. Quite difficult to rank !

1. Miles Davis | Tutu. Immense track from Miles, one of its most popular.
2. Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep. Such a beautiful song, emotions flow throughout Obel's singing and those strings !
3. Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself - Very good discovery. A mix between hardcore and deathmetal. I will add this album to my "to listen" playlist
4. Gang of Four | Damaged Goods - so very close to Wire it's almost indecent. Classic track though.
5. Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau - Straight to the point Krautpunk. Very basic, but good fun.
6. Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl : I've heard this before around these forums. It's good, heart on your sleeve folk rock. Happy to hear it again.
7. Wire | A Mutual Friend - rather average track, but I've always been fond of their angular punk, although it doesn't stand to Damaged Goods.
8. Léo Ferré | Jolie môme - yeah, I should be proud and like this "chanson" business. But I can't relate to it.
9. Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land - it's OK, but doesn't create much emotion in me.
10. Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied. Nah.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

1. Wire | A Mutual Friend - love the Wire!
2. Gang of Four | Damaged Goods - love Gang of Four too! It was really hard to pick between 1st and 2nd place!
3. Game Obel | Broken Sleep - nice track
4. Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau
5. Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied
6. Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land
7. Miles Davis | Tutu - quite surprised that I liked this ad much as I did. A good listen
8. Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl - not really a fan of this type of singer/songwriter song
9. Léo Ferré | Jolie môme
10. Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself - not a fan of screaming-type singing! Last place…
Schüttelbirne
Into the Groove

Post by Schüttelbirne »

Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself: A great song from a great album by a great band. The title track, "The Temple of the Morning Star" will easily make my AT Top 100. I need to listen to more of their stuff, 'cause everything I've heard is amazing.

Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied: I can't speak Dutch, but I can understand most of it (not that hard). This is a great, soothing song.

Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land: Found this on my search for good songs from 1964. I like jazz guitar a lot and it's used to great effect here.

Gang of Four | Damaged Goods: I'm pretty sure this will win and it would be deserving.

Léo Ferré | Jolie môme: Chanson is really hit or miss for me. Since I rarely understand the lyrics, the vocal performance is the most important part for me. Ferré is great, but I should maybe refrain from discussing my feelings about Brel ;).

Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau: She lists all the things women are good at: bearing children, carrying bags, shaking their asses, walking in high heels. But if they do something different, they get the compliment: "good, for a woman". The entire album is great, with "Rank Xerox" being the highlight. But this is also fun.

Wire | A Mutual Friend

Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl

Miles Davis | Tutu: Definitely the highlight from the album Tutu which is one of Davis's weakest. I blame Marcus Miller. But this song is very atmospheric and good.

Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep: Good song from a rather mediocre album. Obel's voice carries the track quite nicely.
mileswide
Full of Fire

Post by mileswide »

Gang of Four - Damaged Goods 9 True to punk's progressive approach to the lyric sheet, Jon King yanks out all remnants of romance from the love song, while everything itches and sweats around him.

Léo Ferré - Jolie môme 8 Some Francophone crooners (see also Brel, Aznavour, Ferrat...) seem to take to this kind of flight of fancy with their integrity intact, whereas it'd probably sound smug or saccharine sung in English by a native. No matter, it sounds thrilling in its guise here.

Hans-A-Plast - Für'ne Frau 7 Sledgehammers its point but such bluntness isn't atypical of punk and the theatrical vocals are a plus point as they are for most of the parent album.

Wire - A Mutual Friend 7 Rote lyrics flatly read but the undulating guitar lines evoke paranoia, which I see as the overriding feeling of 154 when the band aren't trying to be accessible like they are on 'Map Ref'.

Kenny Burrell - Lotus Land 6 Supposedly arranged by Gil Evans and the orchestral section certainly showcases a similar martial shuffle present on some of Out of the Cool; I'd just prefer the guitar to be less in the foreground.

Boudewijn de Groot - Kindermeidslied 6 Unashamedly sentimental, which I can go for when the pedal steel kicks in.

Agnes Obel - Broken Sleep 6 The strings are perfectly weighted here but the non-verbal parts of the chorus don't move me in the way presumably intended.

Stephen Fretwell - What's That You Say Little Girl 4 Pedestrian track that infantilises the subject; his voice almost redeems it, there needs to be more Midlands vowels in music!

Today Is the Day - Kill Yourself 4 A sonic headrush but, whilst I'm not averse to music this dependant on shock value, there's no imagination to the language used, nor flair in its delivery.

Miles Davis - Tutu 3 I wish someone had told my (sorta, not really) namesake what I should've been told when I got a Casio for my 9th birthday- Orchestra Hit doesn't make everything sound better. I'm not particularly drawn to his trumpet work on this either.
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

1. Gang of Four | Damaged Goods: #627 on my all-time list. Fantastic, economical style. Super-catchy. Just brilliant.
2. Miles Davis | Tutu: Very crisp - quite brilliant actually
3. Wire | A Mutual Friend: Love (old) Wire, excellent track
4. Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land: nice surprise - slow and consistent, but never dull
5. Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau: Cool, direct; can't understand a word but don't need to
6. Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep: Very pleasant, probably a grower
7. Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied: ditto
8. Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl: Not bad at all - just the low end of a brilliant playlist
9. Léo Ferré | Jolie môme: Gotta be in the mood
10. Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself: Not a huge fan of this

Thanks!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

OK, we're missing one ranked list to close this off, anyone wanna do this justice ?
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Give me a day! I've been on holiday, apologies to Brad for skipping his.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Gang of Four | Damaged Goods - 9 (A classic that's been growing on me for a while)
Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep - 8 (Lots of beautiful layers here, more relaxing than the name would suggest)
Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land - 7 (Very good piece, sounded very dangerous)
Wire | A Mutual Friend - 6 (Nice little foreboding piece)
Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau - 6 (Punk music but a little goofy, which isn't a negative)
Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl - 6 (Another simple folk track, but I like how this one builds)
Miles Davis | Tutu - 5 (Not sure about this one at all)
Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied - 5 (Just a nice and simple piece)
Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself - 3 (Trying too hard)
Léo Ferré | Jolie môme - 2 (Circus music)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Here are the results of Schüttelbirne's list

10. Stephen Fretwell | What's That You Say Little Girl (-22)
9. Léo Ferré | Jolie môme (-18)
8. Today Is the Day | Kill Yourself (-16)
7. Boudewijn de Groot | Kindermeidslied (-16)
6. Miles Davis | Tutu (-10)
5. Hans-a-Plast | Für'ne Frau (-6 - TIE)
5. Kenny Burrell | Lotus Land (-6 - TIE)
5. Agnes Obel | Broken Sleep (-6 - TIE)
2. Wire | A Mutual Friend (-4)
1. Gang of Four | Damaged Goods (4)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Now this is first season gone. It went rather well, but of course we had some dropouts during the season.
Should a Season 2 be prepared ? How many would be interested to participate ? I think we need to have at least 6 people.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

I’m happy for a season 2 and will definitely participate
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Keen!
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - Season 2 Recruiting !!!

Post by spiritualized »

Need 3 more at least !
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I can join, I suppose.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

I'm in
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

I'll give this a go!
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - Season 2 Lists Postings (4 days left)

Post by spiritualized »

OK !
Thank you to all 5 of you, I expect to see more candidates once we post lists.

Please remember that, in order for this game to be pleasant and allow discoveries, you should rank all the lists if you post one. This way, the game can continue unhindered. If you decide to play, you're in for the long haul !
Players who don't rank will be removed from the pool of lists until they start ranking again

Please refer to the original post to understand all the rules.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: The Shuffle Game - Season 2 Lists Postings (4 days left)

Post by spiritualized »

And for the first list :
(from my 20963 liked songs on Spotify)

No "uncut" gems in this list, a mix of American alt-rock and Britpop, which isn't far from my musical profile anyway :)

1. Pulp - Death Goes to the Disco (Countdown Single B-Side)
2. Buzzcocks - Boredom (from the Spiral Scratch EP)
3. Pixies - Bone Machine (from Surfer Rosa)
4. Smashing Pumpkins - Luna (from Siamese Dream)
5. The Velvet Underground & Nico - Femme Fatale (from the Velvet Underground & Nico)
6. Weezer - O Girlfriend (from the Green Album)
7. Embrace - One Big Family (from the Good Will Out)
8. The Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job (from Americana)
9. Ocean Colour Scene - The Day We Caught The Train (from Songs for The Front Row compilation)
10. The House of Love - 32nd Floor (from the Complete Peel Sessions)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”