AMF Survivor, Season 1, Episode 4!

Chose your LEAST FAVORITE of the following seventeen songs!

Poll ended at Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
4%
Black Sabbath | Black Sabbath
32%
Booker T. & the M.G.'s | Green Onions
11%
Leonard Cohen | Suzanne
4%
Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
No votes
MGMT | Time to Pretend
7%
Neu! | Hallogallo
7%
Patti Smith | Gloria
No votes
R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
No votes
Ramones | Blitzkrieg Bop
No votes
Steely Dan | Do It Again
14%
The Animals | The House of the Rising Sun
No votes
The Avalanches | Since I Left You
No votes
The Beatles | I Saw Her Standing There
4%
The Primitives | Crash
18%
The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning
No votes
Violent Femmes | Blister in the Sun
No votes

Total votes: 28

Holden
Never Going Back Again

AMF Survivor, Season 1, Episode 4!

Post by Holden »

Last time, Buffalo Stance barely lost to Crash by one vote, and Do It Again held on for one more week at least. Who will be eliminated this time?

Welcome to AMF Survivor! In this game, we slowly eliminate songs following a theme until we have a winner! You have three days to pick your least favorite of the following songs. This season's theme is the Best Opening Track from a Debut Album.

Here are your songs:

Arcade Fire | Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Black Sabbath | Black Sabbath
Booker T. & the M.G.'s | Green Onions
Leonard Cohen | Suzanne
Little Richard | Tutti Frutti
MGMT | Time to Pretend
Neu! | Hallogallo
Patti Smith | Gloria
R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
Ramones | Blitzkrieg Bop
Steely Dan | Do It Again
The Animals | The House of the Rising Sun
The Avalanches | Since I Left You
The Beatles | I Saw Her Standing There
The Primitives | Crash
The Velvet Underground | Sunday Morning
Violent Femmes | Blister in the Sun

Eliminated:
20 | Bon Iver | Flume (10/29 Votes)
19 | Suede | So Young (10/25 Votes)
18 | Neneh Cherry | Buffalo Stance (7/26 Votes)

Vote for your LEAST FAVORITE SONG! This is Survivor, so strategic voting is definitely allowed. Additionally, if you have an idea for a future theme, leave it below!

"The better a singer's voice, the harder it is to believe what they're saying."
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Re: AMF Survivor, Season 1, Episode 4!

Post by Holden »

Two days left!
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Looks like Black Sabbath is the current front runner. What does this track lack that the others don’t?
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Holden wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:45 pm Looks like Black Sabbath is the current front runner. What does this track lack that the others don’t?
Melody.

It is a good song though. This is a loaded field.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Interesting discussion of best debut albums at https://www.workandmoney.com/s/best-deb ... rm=NEWS_US

I am not yet familiar with the following albums that are discussed:

5. The Wildhearts – Earth Vs The Wildhearts (BU on AM)- After a handful of acclaimed Wildhearts EPs that saw him escape the shadow of his former band The Quireboys with almost distasteful haste, Ginger and The Wildhearts’ debut album was as blunt as a mallet and as warm as summer sunshine. Skeptical at best, it allowed Ginger to rage and rail against all manner of topics, but mainly he saved his most theatrical sneers for affairs of the heart. This sugar-coated (musically it was all layered vocal harmonies and crunching guitar chords) cynicism was at its best on songs like Loveshit and My Baby Is A Headfuck, but, hey, when you’ve loved and lost like Ginger has…

Outrageously confident and bursting with dazzling riffs and memorable singalong melodies, The Wildhearts’ debut sounded like all your favorite rock’n’roll bands playing at once. An exuberant snapshot of a band in love with music and life, songs like Greetings From Shitsville and Everlone were fresh and timeless. Z Brit-rock masterpiece.

Note that Caffeine Bomb is BU but was released on 1994 while the album was released in 1993. Artist is not ranked on AM.

8. Thunder – Back Street Symphony - After Terraplane failed, most of that band regrouped as Thunder. The result was somewhere between Whitesnake and Def Leppard. “What we’ve done is what we could never do with Terraplane,” said guitarist Luke Morley. Produced (brilliantly, as it happened) by Duran Duran’s Andy Taylor, BST is packed full of Brit rock anthems including Dirty Love, the title track and the epic ballad Love Walked In.

No entry for Thunder in Acclaimed Music as far as I can tell.

12. Dio – Holy Diver - One of the classic heavy metal debuts, Holy Diver is a work of such bravura and bombast that Sounds magazine stated emphatically: “Ronnie James Dio has thundered back.” This was a new beginning for Ronnie, but his past was in evidence both in his choice of two former bandmates (ex Rainbow bassist Jimmy Bain, ex-Sabbath drummer Vinny Appice) and in the epic feel of the music.

The little fella’s masterstroke was the acquisition of 19-year-old guitarist Vivian Campbell, the man who “put the fast in Belfast”, who gave the band a vital, contemporary edge. Every song was impressive, and guitarist Vivian Campbell was an inspired choice. “I love what he did here,” Dio said at the time.

With its electrifying opener Stand Up And Shout, its spooky title track and the majestic Rainbow In The Dark (bubbling under at AM), Holy Diver was the album on which Dio, the man, was able to fully realize his own singular vision. The title track (bubbling under at AM), Stand Up And Shout and Rainbow In The Dark remain true metal classics.

This album comes in at 1973rd at AM. Artist is ranked 1787 on AM.

21. The Darkness - Permission To Land - Justin Hawkins and co gave early noughties rock a shot of humor on their debut album. But beneath the gags, the gymnastics, the ludicrous catsuits and that extraordinary voice was a classic hard rock album that felt like an entirely natural progression from the past and an entirely sincere tribute to it.

Was it a joke? Was it legit? Who cares when you can roll out a debut that stands up to most rock legends’ greatest hits albums? The Darkness would ultimately be broken by the weight of their own expectations, but song for song, Permission To Land remains one of the greatest debut albums of all time. Just find a line you don’t know off by heart. Go on.

Album comes in at 2609 on AM. I Believe in a Thing Called Love (2018), Get Your Hands Off My Woman (BU), Growing on Me (BU), Love Is Only a Feeling (BU). 2005 Album titled "One Way Ticket to Hell...And Back is BU. Artist is ranked 1415 on AM.

My memory failed me here, because I have listened to and enjoyed "I Believe In a Thing Called Love" which sits at 2846 among my all time faves.

46. King’s X – Out Of The Silent Planet - “King’s X made music that I was starving for,” says former Guns N’ Rose guitar virtuoso Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal. “I fell in love with them instantly. Out of the Silent Planet, to me, is the first grunge album. They were pioneers of alternative metal. They might not have gotten the fame, but they got the respect of the players. They took the music back and brought it to a deep, artistic place.”

Out Of The Silent Planet might not be prog in the classic sense (odd-time signatures, concept album, sci-fi, fantasy lyrical sense), but its unmistakably progressive music that sounds as fresh and vital now as it did in 1988. Upon release, the album was embraced by critics but failed to set the charts alight, peaking at Number 144 in the United States.

If Out Of The Silent Planet was ahead of its time when it was originally released in 1988, the passing of the years have done nothing to diminish its power.

No presence on AM as far as I can tell.

61. Gillan – Mr Universe - A record no record label would initially touch, Mr. Universe is better than several of the albums Deep Purple recorded after his departure from the band. It’s aggressive, it’s a whole bundle of fun, and in Vengeance, Roller and Message in a Bottle it finds the singer in stunning voice.

“We actually recorded the whole album without a record deal," says Gillan. "Once it was done, myself and my co-managers, Phil Banfield and Carl Leighton Pope, phoned up every label and music publishing company trying to get interest in the album. But nobody wanted to know. Until we finally got in contact with Acrobat, who said they’d take it.

"So, they released it, but within a week it had disappeared; the company hadn’t paid the pressing plant. However, it had done well enough just in that one week to convince all those labels who had rejected us to get back in touch and say they now wanted Mr. Universe! In the end, we signed to Virgin, who did a great job in marketing the record.”

No apparent presence on AM.

64. The Temperance Movement - The Temperance Movement - One of the best rock debuts of recent years, melding sensual blues with funky rock and soulful beats. It’s catchy and energetic throughout, the musicianship is solid, gravel-throated frontman Phil Campbell has a voice to die for, and the band really know how to play the blues.

Classic Rock crowned them Best New Band at the mag’s 2013 awards show. “We never expected to win," says guitarist Paul Sayer. "We just went along thinking it might be fun, and we’d get to meet Jimmy Page. It was a fairly heavy night.

66. Alter Bridge - One Day Remains - Following Creed’s meltdown in 2004, guitarist Mark Tremonti regrouped his former rhythm section that same year – pointedly swapping out divisive frontman Scott Stapp for newcomer Myles Kennedy – and something astonishing happened. Where Creed had been lumpen and pious, Alter Bridge were lean and hooky, and planted the hard-rock flag deep into the modern age.

69. Masters Of Reality – Masters Of Reality - MOR’s debut is one of the pivotal albums of the stoner genre, but “We never thought of ourselves as stoner,” says mainman Chris Goss. “What we were doing was hard rock, but we added in our own twists. You can tell I’m a fan of Yes.”

It's also one of the less heralded gems in the Rick Rubin canon. MOR’s MO was a blues-pumping simmer with flashes of psychedelia, ominous doom-rock sustain and elliptical songs about public hangings, black spiders and wanton sex. The Doors, Zeppelin and Cream all burrowed their way into the band’s sound, with Rubin’s production bathing things in the kind of glowing warmth that made you hanker for the golden era of classic rock.

71. Wrathchild – Stakk Attack - "In the simplest terms, Stakk Attakk is a pure pop-metal delight. Producer Robin George has tarted up the band (if such a thing were possible!) by concocting a chintzy Chinnichap sound and adding wacky studio FX, inventive backing vocal arrangements, guitar synthesisers and the like. The band seem to have been inspired and motivated by George’s studio expertise; they grit their teeth and go for it on every one of the ten trax, singing and playing with astounding enthusiasm and maturity."

75. Michael Schenker Group – Michael Schenker Group - The first Michael Schenker Group line-up had all the big names you could ask for: ex-Montrose drummer Denny Carmassi, future Mr Big bassist Billy Sheehan, drummer Simon Phillips (from Jeff Beck’s band) and legendary session bassist Mo Foster plus current Deep Purple keyboardist Don Airey. The album itself was produced by Rainbow’s Roger Glover, after Schenker turned down Mutt Lange. Tough yet anthemic rock songs like Armed & Ready, Victim Of Illusion and the epic Lost Horizons made the album a Top 20 success in the UK.

80. Wolfmother - Wolfmother - Wolfmother contained no less than six hit singles, and the band’s music appeared in numerous video games, films and adverts. The landmark debut also won Best Breakthrough Album and Best Rock Album, while the band took home Best Group at the 2006 Australian ARIA Music Awards, and the hit single Womanwon the prize for Best Hard Rock Performance at the Grammy Awards in 2007, by which point the album was certified five times platinum. Ripper. - Shame on me for not being familiar with this album :-)

The album is BU on AM. Dimension comes in at 9988, Woman (BU), Joker & the Thief (BU). 2009 album "Cosmic Egg" is also BU. Artist is ranked 4106 on AM.

83. Mother Love Bone - Apple - One of the great grunge albums. Ranging from spot of glam (This Is Shangri-La) to the gentle piano-led Man Of Golden Words, the band married tunes and ragged riffs while frontman Andrew Wood did his best Freddie Mercury over the top. Who knows what the Seattle band might have achieved had the much-loved Wood not died of a heroin overdose before Apple was even released.

Later Album titled Crown of Thorns comes in at 8270 on AM. Artist is ranked 3665 on AM.

85. Girl - Sheer Greed - Deliberately cultivating an androgynous glam aesthetic absolutely guaranteed to bring them a sound bottling by a Reading Festival crowd, their 1980 debut Sheer Greed was a peculiar clash of Aerosmith, Japan, Starz and New York Dolls. Cornerstone anthem Hollywood Tease kicks off a record displaying lashings of imagination and bravado, the sleazy The Things You Say, the cocky My Number and the arty pop of Strawberries all part of a bold statement of intent. It didn’t come to much, but it doesn’t make this debut any less thrilling.

91. Angel – Angel - Angel’s 1975 self-titled debut mined a winning prog sound, earmarked by soaring, operatic vocals and consummate musicianship. "Angel was like Yes meets Led Zeppelin and Queen," said guitarist Punky Meadows, quite accurately.

98. The Struts - Everybody Wants - Catchy-as-ebola opening track Roll Up imagines a fantasy Carry On world in which The Struts are bolshy young sultans presiding over a harem of (presumably) dutiful ‘lovelies’. ‘I’ll welcome you in with Lambrini and gin, the perfect of sins,’ coos singer Luke Spiller, one part Freddie Mercury, one part Robin Askwith.

99. Jellyfish - Bellybutton - Released in 1990, Bellybutton was 10 vibrant songs stuffed full of wit and invention, with the pop sheen you’d expect from a record produced by Albhy Galuten, the guy who had recorded the Bee Gees’ Saturday Night Fever.

Roger Manning - one half of Jellyfish’s creative double-act with Andy Sturmer – said that they were aiming for a sound “somewhere between Queen and the Patridge Family” and if they didn’t fit in the grunge years, their the boho-psychedelic look and finely-tooled classicism meant you could file them with retro-spirits of the time like the Black Crowes and World Party.

Bellybutton is BU and their 1993 album "Spilt Milk" also comes in at BU, but artist is not ranked.
Last edited by Henry on Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

Unfortunate lack of not rock on that list, but the top few picks are pretty decent.
Holden
Never Going Back Again

Post by Holden »

One day left!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

It's kind of odd that the people who voted for Do It Again in the first round are dropping off or have changed their target. You'd think that if you have a least favorite you stick with it until its gone?
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Survivor always has the one player that's always on the chopping block but never seems to actually leave, Steely Dan are filling that role nicely
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Damn, I knew there wasn’t a lot of metal fans on this forum but I thought Sabbath was exception, thought it would last longer than this...

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”