Jirin’s Discovery and Review Tournament 2

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Jirin’s Discovery and Review Tournament 2

Post by Jirin »

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (Moanin)

More jazz that sounds awesome, but again I don't know enough about jazz to talk about it well. Allmusic says it's 'Hard bop' which may or may not have been a reaction to cool jazz that is louder and more extraverted with more prominent drums.

Magazine - real life

Real Life is interesting in the way it combines the vocal patterns of rougher early post punk bands like Wire and The Jam and adds more polished synth heavy pop production to it.

Various Artists - Woodstock

I think I listened to the right thing here. A lot of great performances here, but not really built cohesively as an album. More focused on trying to capture the history than a listening experience. I'd rather listen to artists' individual sets.

The Waterboys - This Is The Sea

This might be the first time I've liked a Waterboys album. I like the mix of influences from alternative, folk, with bluesy saxophone and the poppy finish. The moody atmosphere of the songs highlights the emotional songwriting.

Winner: Art Blakey
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Anyone know a good source to find Public Image Ltd - Album?
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Count Basie - Basie/The Atomic Mr Basie/The Complete Atomic Basie

Big band isn't my favorite style of jazz, but this is one of the better executions of it I've ever heard.

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead-

Miles Ahead is more my speed as far as jazz goes. Cool jazz with experimentation and lots of improvisation.

Public Image Ltd - Album/Compact Disc/Cassette

Not sure what to make of this one. Aesthetically it sounds a lot like other Public Image Ltd stuff, but it seems to be trying to incorporate more mainstream rock guitar and vocal melodies. It just doesn't come together well.

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

S.F. Sorrow I already know I like because it was in Moderate, had I realized it was also in this game I would have moved this matchup to the front and done them both at the same time. That probably gives the album an advantage. The folky guitar picking but in the space of 60s psychedelia just works really uniquely well.

Winner: Miles Davis
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Roy Harper - Lifemask

My first introduction to Roy Harper was through his late career album Man & Myth, and everything else I've heard has the same epic emotional folk anthems. Lifemask which is the followup to Stormcock sounds similar to Stormcock with maybe not as high highs, but a few of the tracks are just breathtaking. His vocals have a wailing timbre underscored by melancholy, understated virtuosic guitar.

The Cars - The Cars

Formulaic pop rock with a few good hooks. Hollow synths and packed emotion.

Blumfeld - L’Etat Et Moi

Sounds kind of like Sonic Youth but with a happier singer who sings in German. Neat.

The Loud Family - The Tape Of Only Linda

Whether it be Loud Family or Game Theory, Scott Miller albums always seem to be full of noisy, chaotic distorted pop. It's good but doesn't expand much on Plants and Rocks And Birds And Other things or reach its heights.

Winner: Roy Harper
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Just realized Supertramp - Breakfast In America was on the list twice.

I can't find a link to the list as it appeared before the update when I built the draw, but Let Love In got in last, so I'll go with the album that appears right after it: Future - DS2.
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

I listened to a bit of Breakfast In America before realizing it was a duplicate. Still think "Not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot" is one of the cringiest lyrics in music history.

Future - DS2

One of the songs has the lyrics "Keep that mask on" over and over. Kind of a funny song to listen to now knowing it came out in 2015 when it meant something much more metaphorical. This is a good album with some compelling atmospheres, though some of the autotune is jarring. Kinda repetitive and mostly about the standard 'hoes and bitches' rap topics, but a good listen.

Sonny Sharrock - Guitar

Free jazz with a great musician dueting with himself, what's not to like?

The Slits - Trapped Animal

You never know what to expect from albums that come after decades long layoffs. In terms of the melodies and the reggae inspired rhythms it sounds a lot like their earlier material and those aspects work well. The production leaves a lot to be desired, with occasional bursts of autotune and not a lot of energy. Lyrics are a bit on the nose, just coming out and saying things plainly that would normally be told colorfully through metaphor.

The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us

A violent garage rock assault, just straight thrashy aggressive fun. If it were more polished, the song structures and vocal patterns remind me of 50s rock.

Winner: Sonny Sharrock
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

N.E.R.D - In Search of…

Intriguing album. I didn't know this was a Pharrell project. Blends some hip hop sensibilities with influences from blues, classic rock, alternative and grunge very successfully. The grooves are imminent and smooth, combining the positives of multiple genres and the sound of the 90s. If anything the vocals are the album's weak link.

The For Carnation - The For Carnation

Quiet creeping lo-fi reminding me a little of Low. Hints of Radiohead influence in the guitar melodies but stripped way down.

Aphex Twin - Syro

I've never been into Aphex Twin just because his music sounds mechanical and emotionless to me. This doesn't do much to change my opinion. Well mixed and technically solid electronic loops with no emotional handles. Like it was written by a robot.

The Weeknd - House of Balloons

Another band I've just never really been into. They're not bad or anything, they just never draw me in. It's competent R&B with some interesting moods but some of the melodies seem disjointed and abrupt. Reading some blurbs and reviews about it a lot of people focus on the lyrics about seedy nightclub encounters. I'm just not impressed by that. Music has been there, done that ten times better.

Winner: N.E.R.D.
Nassim
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Nassim »

Jirin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:34 pm N.E.R.D - In Search of…

Intriguing album. I didn't know this was a Pharrell project. Blends some hip hop sensibilities with influences from blues, classic rock, alternative and grunge very successfully. The grooves are imminent and smooth, combining the positives of multiple genres and the sound of the 90s. If anything the vocals are the album's weak link.
Did you listen to the 2001 version (with electronic backing) or the 2002 version (with live instruments backing) ?
I think only the 2002 one is on Spotify, but I like the 2001 better. I think only Lapdance sounds better on the 2002 version (well, possibly Rockstar too but I heard the Jason Nevins remix so often playing SSX 3 that this is the definitive version for me)
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Nassim wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am
Jirin wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:34 pm N.E.R.D - In Search of…

Did you listen to the 2001 version (with electronic backing) or the 2002 version (with live instruments backing) ?
I think only the 2002 one is on Spotify, but I like the 2001 better. I think only Lapdance sounds better on the 2002 version (well, possibly Rockstar too but I heard the Jason Nevins remix so often playing SSX 3 that this is the definitive version for me)
2002 version. From what I read it’s considered better.
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Double Trouble - Texas Flood

Stevie Ray Vaughan is a name I associate with people into really technical guitar playing. His music is full of great old school blues riffs and brimming with energy. He's also the kind of singer who feels like the sum of his influences. Walk into a New Orleans bar where this music is playing it'd be heaven, but not as much made for recorded album home listening.

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

Solid rap album, fun and socially conscious over loops, good wordplay and flow.

Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach

Horray, a three plus hour long minimalist opera. More so than his album oriented work this feels more like an experimental music theory class than music designed to be viscerally enjoyed. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into, but it makes it super hard to get through otherwise, especially if you're listening to it while doing other things that require some degree of mental focus. I feel obligated to hear the whole three hours if I'm going to treat it like an entry to a competition I'm the only judge for, but not sure I can. The goal of the music is to be intellectually interesting, not so much to be pleasurable. And it succeeds.

Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material

Fun raw old school punk. Power chords, simple melodies yelled, and charisma, that's all you need.

Winner: Mos Def
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound

Genesis has a reputation of being ambitious to the point of being overwrought. A lot of the album sounds good, but a lot of the time I can't help but think it'd work better if the compositions were a little simpler. Both the music and the lyrics sound like they're designed around being perceived as important. You wonder if Phil Collins even sees music as something associated with pleasure. All theory no feeling, trying hard to associate himself with literary greatness instead of just writing something honest, and it makes some of the lyrics cringey. Overcomplicating every measure well past the point of diminishing returns.

Budd Powell - The Amazing Bud Powell

More solid jazz. It soundy good.

The Smiths - Rank

Nice collection of Smiths live tracks. Not much to say about this one. I like them cause I like the albums the songs came from.

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Madcap Laughs feels disjointed and unfinished. Like they started to write some good songs then published the first take.

Winner: Budd Powell
Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Jirin »

The Replacements - Hootenanny

Hootenanny seems to have the roughness and fun of Let It Be but with less fully realized songwriting. It seems to drastically bounce between completely different styles but most of the songs work pretty well.

Rihanna - Anti

There are some pop stars that when I listen to them I'd think their songs would sound really good if they were acoustic. If they just turned the computers off, played the songs on instruments singing directly into a microphone with no manipulation. Especially with the vocals, even when the melodies sound good the abrupt stopping and starting of tones is distracting. Overpolished music is emotionless music, and computerized music has seams that are just jarring. But they're perfectly good, well written and performed pop songs. I just wish I could hear an Unplugged version of it.

Ray Charles - The Genius of Ray Charles

Nice relaxing set of pop songs with jazzy backing.

The Roots - How I Got Over

The Roots have always seemed to me like one of those soft hitting rap bands not aimed at rap audiences. Maybe why they got that Late Night job. I think Game Theory cracked my top 20 in its year and I saw them opening for Erykah Badu that year. The album is soul and blues influenced and more relaxed and less aggressive than you expect from the genre. Although it's weird as hell to hear a Joanna Newsom sample in a rap album.

Winner: The Roots