Unacclaimed III

whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Unacclaimed III

Post by whuntva »

Hello, and welcome to Unacclaimed III: [Insert Witty Subtitle Here]

I decided to try this annually at every update. If this has a decent turnout, I will continue with this format.

We will keep the World Cup competition model, but I'm changing up the rules.

Eligibility Rules
1) The song cannot be listed on AM, including bubbling under.
2) The song cannot be from an album listed on AM, including bubbling under.
If said song was only on a re-release of an acclaimed album, it IS eligible, but please specify this in your nomination.

These are basically the holy tenants of Unacclaimed.
---

3) It has to be at least a year old from today’s date. This way we can ensure everything here had a chance to be acclaimed.
4) It cannot be a song nominated for a previous Unacclaimed. If you need help, nothing from this list or this list. I f we go on long enough like Moderately, Maybe we can accept older songs, but for now, no previous entrants.
5) I’ll just be blunt and say no Classical. I know there’s stuff like “Stella” that blurs the lines, but there’s usually a reason why they aren’t on AM. Re-interpretations of Classical works are eligible, though, and a single piece of a film soundtrack—like a Morricone you like—are also acceptable.

Nominating Rules
1) Please PM me a list of up to ten nominees following the above criteria.
2) I will start by qualifying all the ones, then all the twos, etc., until we have a final pool of 64.
3) Songs mentioned more than once have priority, meaning they get grouped first.
4) Songs will receive a number based on when they were selected. High-priority songs receive a higher number. This is done for bracketing purposes.
5) It’s all first come, first serve. If you want to get more songs in, submit early!

Voting Rules
1) Round one is in “World Cup” format, each song is grouped randomly into a pool of four.
2) Each voter must rank the songs 1-4, with four points going to the top, one point to the bottom of each ranking.
3) Voters are allowed to skip groups, but if they say they will come back to a group later, they have to vote before the deadline.
4) Ties in group play are broken by first-place vote totals
5) Top TWO from each group advance
6) NEW for Third Edition: Brackets are on Two-week rotation, meaning songs from week one will face songs from week three and so on in the elimination rounds.
7) Thirty-two songs will play each other in single-elimination
8) Winner of group faces runner-up in another.
9) Voters must now vote for ONE song they choose to advance. Each vote is one point.
10) Ties go into sudden-death overtime. One vote is enough to clinch it in this round.
11) The game is played until one song remains and is declared the winner of the tournament.

This might run into EOY territory, but I hope to get this done fast. Besides, the last one ran alongside the Albums Poll, and our Songs Poll just ended.

I think Sept. 30 is a reasonable cutoff for nominating. Send in your votes by then, please.

Thank you for your enthusiasm!
Last edited by whuntva on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: Unacclaimed III

Post by Romain »

whuntva wrote:Hello, and welcome to Unacclaimed III: [Insert Witty Subtitle Here]

3) It has to be less than a year old from today’s date. This way we can ensure everything here had a chance to be acclaimed.

I'm enthusiast, I love this game, always a good way for finding unknown gems.
And I agree with your "new" rules.

Just, for number 3) It has to be more tha na year old isnt'it ? Not sure because... you know... english and me are nt good friends ;-)
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Romain wrote:
whuntva wrote:Hello, and welcome to Unacclaimed III: [Insert Witty Subtitle Here]

3) It has to be less than a year old from today’s date. This way we can ensure everything here had a chance to be acclaimed.

I'm enthusiast, I love this game, always a good way for finding unknown gems.
And I agree with your "new" rules.

Just, for number 3) It has to be more tha na year old isnt'it ? Not sure because... you know... english and me are nt good friends ;-)
Oh! Good catch, Romain. I meant to say "AT LEAST" A year, because that's how we know it had a chance to be acclaimed.

Take your time with these lists. There really is no rush. I already received Acroamor's and am busy formulating one myself.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Just got in BleuPanda and Doc Brown.

Thank you both, gentlemen.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

You have a PM whuntva.

Thanks mille fois.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

I just got Chilton, Romain, and luney6. And I have also finished my own list.

Chilton actually raised a very good question regarding remixes, one which I do not have a clear answer to.

He nominated Soulwax - NY Lipps, which is a remix of their own NY Excuse/Mashup of "Funkytown".

I don't know if rimixes of Accaimed songs are distinct enough to be eligible. Thoughts?
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

whuntva wrote:I don't know if rimixes of Accaimed songs are distinct enough to be eligible. Thoughts?
A quick search of "remix" in the songs list brings up "Ignition (Remix)" first, which starts another debate of whether this Acclaimed song is eligible to be a remix! ;)

I would welcome remixes in the competition. How far they get might somewhat be down to how people personally view remixes as an art form, especially compared to original songs. If nominators genuinely prefer a remix to the original song, and feel it improves upon the original, I'd say let them nominate it.

Also note that Freelance Hellraiser's "A Stroke of Genius", arguably the most critically acclaimed mashup song, is at 2623 - above Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle" at 4130.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

TimmyWing wrote: A quick search of "remix" in the songs list brings up "Ignition (Remix)" first, which starts another debate of whether this Acclaimed song is eligible to be a remix! ;)

I would welcome remixes in the competition. How far they get might somewhat be down to how people personally view remixes as an art form, especially compared to original songs. If nominators genuinely prefer a remix to the original song, and feel it improves upon the original, I'd say let them nominate it.

Also note that Freelance Hellraiser's "A Stroke of Genius", arguably the most critically acclaimed mashup song, is at 2623 - above Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle" at 4130.
In that case, I guess I can accept it. Seeing as it is a mashup and fairly distinct.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Thank you for running this again! One idea might be to share all of the nomination lists in addition to the main bracket at some stage - I know I'd like to mine for hidden gems beyond what is included in the game. It might even compel me to nominate some for the next time around!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Moonbeam wrote:Thank you for running this again! One idea might be to share all of the nomination lists in addition to the main bracket at some stage - I know I'd like to mine for hidden gems beyond what is included in the game. It might even compel me to nominate some for the next time around!
I was actually thinking of posting the lists with the draw, just like Moderately does.

But yes, that is good.

I just received your list. You and Romain were the only ones to provide your own links. I could probably track most of the other songs down, but if you could at least send me something for "Moonbeam Levels" that would be great.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hi whuntva, just sent you my list as a PM. But I need to post here a recommendation not eligible for Unacclaimed. I'll explain it: I sent a recommendation on Unacclaimed I but I did not participate on the votes and on Unacclaimed II I acted the opposite way. So I didn't remember the rules when some moths ago I stumbled on a home video of one of my favourite songs. It's a song I immediately loved from the very first I listened to it (in 2000) and it's a consistent presence on my all-time songs lists and my favourite Alt-Country song ever (along with Wilco's "Jesus, etc.," Lambchop's "I'm a Stranger Here," Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's "I See a Darkness" or Mary Gauthier's "I Drink"). But it never had a proper You Tube video (for many years even the studio version was not available there). So when I saw this video with the song set to images from the wonderful Richard Linklater movie "Before Sunrise" and a tear ran down my cheek I though: "Wow, this is going to win Unacclaimed III." I was simply waiting to whuntva to begin the game but to my dismay when I saw this thread I realized that the song was not eligible since is part of a "bubbling under" album.

So I decided to post the song here anyway (even it's not part of my list of nominations, I replaced it by another Alt-Country hidden gem) for you all to enjoy. The song is "In Love with a View" by the British band Mojave 3, a band born from the ashes of the Shoegaze band Souvlaki. It opened their third album, "Excuses for Travellers" (2000), and to me is a masterful example of conveying emotions to music. The song, written by Neil Halstead, is played in a ¾ rhythm pattern (alternating with a 2/4 bar every 3 bars in the instrumental parts) and feature vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, piano, organ, bass, drums and a (superb) pedal steel. The song is structured as a crescendo that crashes in the end and it goes like this:
1) Instrumental intro (0:00 to 0:24), only acoustic guitar, piano and pedal steel.
2) First verse (0:24 to 1:12), where the singer tell us about a plan where "romance was hard to ignore." At the end of the verse bass and drum enters when Neil is "happy to fall," sending me the first chills.
3) Second verse (1:12 to 2:05), same instrumentation, with the singer beginning to feel assured of his plan. The organ enters in the last part.
4) Third verse (2:05 to 2:48), Neil goes to the station "heroically tragic, bearded and blind with obsession". The delicious Rachel Goswell backing vocals and the electric guitars enters, rising noticeably the levels of emotion.
5) Bridge (2:48 to 3:25), the chords change when the girl of the story throws cold water on poor Neil.
6) Guitar solo (3:25 to 4:53), the intensity of the music continue rising, the ¾ and 2/4 bars continue alternating while Simon Rowe contribute with a simple but emotional Neil Young-ish guitar solo.
7) Fourth verse (4:53 to 6:08), my favourite part. The intensity of the music slowly languish, the guitar sends some dissonant feedback, organ and piano add some distant notes and the sad notes of the pedal steel reappears while Neil thinks about what could have been, thinking of him "just feeling fine."

Please spend the next 6 minutes of your time seeing this You Tube video, I'm sure you're not going to be disappointed.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Whuntva, can you post the lists without the names of the voters? Till the end of the game.

I prefer have a real blind test without be influenced by the forumer's names.

If it's possible.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Good idea, Romain!
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Honorio wrote:Hi whuntva, just sent you my list as a PM. But I need to post here a recommendation not eligible for Unacclaimed. I'll explain it: I sent a recommendation on Unacclaimed I but I did not participate on the votes and on Unacclaimed II I acted the opposite way. So I didn't remember the rules when some moths ago I stumbled on a home video of one of my favourite songs. It's a song I immediately loved from the very first I listened to it (in 2000) and it's a consistent presence on my all-time songs lists and my favourite Alt-Country song ever (along with Wilco's "Jesus, etc.," Lambchop's "I'm a Stranger Here," Bonnie 'Prince' Billy's "I See a Darkness" or Mary Gauthier's "I Drink"). But it never had a proper You Tube video (for many years even the studio version was not available there). So when I saw this video with the song set to images from the wonderful Richard Linklater movie "Before Sunrise" and a tear ran down my cheek I though: "Wow, this is going to win Unacclaimed III." I was simply waiting to whuntva to begin the game but to my dismay when I saw this thread I realized that the song was not eligible since is part of a "bubbling under" album.
It certainly was a good discovery. Thanks! Even if it barely misses eligibility.
Romain wrote:Whuntva, can you post the lists without the names of the voters? Till the end of the game.

If it's possible.
I can do that. I won't do it now to avoid spoilers, but I will post individual lists without names.

But Honorio and Bonnielaurel just submitted lists to me.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Just received Jeff.

We now have 85 songs total submitted.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

whuntva wrote:
Romain wrote:Whuntva, can you post the lists without the names of the voters? Till the end of the game.

If it's possible.
I can do that. I won't do it now to avoid spoilers, but I will post individual lists without names.
Cool. If everybody is OK, I think it can be a good idear. Myself, I know I can be influenced by a "same taste" other forumer.

And thanks Honorio. You can make me love all the songs YOU love with comments like that (mojave3).
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

It's a little late to talk about that, but I think songs from bubbling under albums should be eligible.
Bubbling Under albums are, as far as I understood, albums that Henrik thought at some point might make the top 3000 but never did, or albums that used to be ranked and no longer are.
I could understand why those that used to be ranked would not be eligible, but other bubblers might be albums that appeared in a bunch of EOY lists 10 years ago but never got any mention since, but have been added to the base during one of the first update and never removed from AM since, which mean they might have appeared in less lists (EOY or other) than some albums that Henrik didn't even try to put in its program because given how many lists there are now, they would not stand a chance, so it seems a bit of a biased choice not to be able to vote for them.
Furthermore they might be in there on the base of the support from just 1 or 2 sources, so they are far from receiving "real" acclaim and are far more obscure and little known than the unavoidable mass of lesser songs from lesser albums of very acclaimed artists (or songs from EP) that will end up filling between a third and half of our list.

Or maybe I just really want to nominate Labradford's Lake Speed.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Nassim wrote:It's a little late to talk about that, but I think songs from bubbling under albums should be eligible.
Bubbling Under albums are, as far as I understood, albums that Henrik thought at some point might make the top 3000 but never did, or albums that used to be ranked and no longer are.
I could understand why those that used to be ranked would not be eligible, but other bubblers might be albums that appeared in a bunch of EOY lists 10 years ago but never got any mention since, but have been added to the base during one of the first update and never removed from AM since, which mean they might have appeared in less lists (EOY or other) than some albums that Henrik didn't even try to put in its program because given how many lists there are now, they would not stand a chance, so it seems a bit of a biased choice not to be able to vote for them.
Furthermore they might be in there on the base of the support from just 1 or 2 sources, so they are far from receiving "real" acclaim and are far more obscure and little known than the unavoidable mass of lesser songs from lesser albums of very acclaimed artists (or songs from EP) that will end up filling between a third and half of our list.

Or maybe I just really want to nominate Labradford's Lake Speed.
I don't know. They were never eligible before. I had a song I considered nominating from a bubbling under album, but I think the goal is to find true hidden gems ignored by AM and its forum entirely. I wasnt something AM does not have, so it's truly unacclaimed.

Just got notbrianeno and Brad.

We have over 100 songs in the bank now, so there will be a few cuts.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'll submit a list closer to the due date. But I have to question the point of submitting 10 songs. Last year's Unacclaimed had over 32 different people submit songs, so there's a good chance that for this one, some people might only get one of their nominations in the game.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:I'll submit a list closer to the due date. But I have to question the point of submitting 10 songs. Last year's Unacclaimed had over 32 different people submit songs, so there's a good chance that for this one, some people might only get one of their nominations in the game.
I realize this.

I should have thought this through when I did the nominations.

And there are also no repeats because the pool is much deeper here than moderately. Another major oversight on my part.

So, sorry if not a lot of your songs get in.

I have about 17 lists presently, including my own. If this holds, everyone should get three or four in.

Sonofsamiam played it safe and only submitted two. And two users gave only five.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Alright. A quick update headed into September.

-I have received 22 lists to date, including my own.

-TWO songs have appeared on multiple lists. I won't say what they are, but they get numbered higher.

-At this current pace, everyone should get about 2-3 songs in
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

How is this coming along? Any more lists since the last update?
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

BleuPanda wrote:How is this coming along? Any more lists since the last update?
We are now up to 24 lists of varying length. I wrote mine down by hand, but I still count it.

I'm starting to think 10 songs for a 64 song field was a bit excessive. Next time, I'll cut it down to about five.

Still only two repeats.

This is basically the halfway point. The 30th is in two Wednesdays. Administrivia begins on 10/1. I have already randomized the groups by numbers. All that remains is assigning the songs a number.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Only 6 days left.

I wonder if I have any of those doubles. I feel like there's a high chance.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Hi,
Just curious - would increasing the pool to 128 be a major problem ? I'd be happy to submit my list....
TimmyWing
Different Class

Post by TimmyWing »

I'm keen to submit a list - but I'm just wondering if this track would be eligible? It's a wonderful piece of music, as influenced by musique concrete as it is by classical, but it's ultimately down to you, whuntva.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

That song appears on the album of the same name which is ranked 2584 on AM.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

spiritualized wrote:Hi,
Just curious - would increasing the pool to 128 be a major problem ? I'd be happy to submit my list....
I could expand it, but my best answer is "I don't feel like it". Sorry if it's wimpy, but it is the best I can summarize it.

If I were to expand the poll, we'd go on for double the initial amount of time and likely eliminate the group stage entirely. I have such a neat deliberate arrangement, it would be hard to accommodate for twice the songs this time.

Would anyone else be okay with a 128-song, all single elimination tournament this time?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Ahhhh I see the problem indeed. Looks like you may have a few more lists coming though :) I'll submit mine shortly, whatever your decision. After all, you are the gamemaster, so you play by whatever rules you like :) :D
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Alright, last call for votes.

I have received about thirty lists including my own.

Last list given had our third repeat of the game...and possibly the fourth, I'm not sure.

Anyway, if you have not submitted yet, you have until midnight FORUM time to get one in. I'll read all the lists and maybe post the draw starting tomorrow or Friday.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

The submissions period is closed.

The draw will be posted shortly.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”