Errors in the 2018 update

Henrik
Site Admin

Errors in the 2018 update

Post by Henrik »

As usual...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Errors in the 2018 update

Post by Henrik »

lagire wrote:Blind Willie Johnson Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground appears on Guido Michielone (Italy) - Jazz Forever: 1020 Tunes 1894-2015 (2015) under REVEREND WILLIE JOHNSON - DARK WAS THE NIGHT COLD WAS WE GROUND (1927)
I did not have time to re-run the database after this correction, so it is still wrong.
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Fleet Foxes's "Third of May/Ōdaigahara" shows up as "Third of May/?daigahara"
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

No songs on the Top Songs of the 1980s playlist
https://open.spotify.com/user/acclaimed ... JF4ueWcbRB
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I am at my parents this week, so I can not fix anything until the weekend. But there seem the be fewer errors than usual. :whistle: :)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:I am at my parents this week, so I can not fix anything until the weekend. But there seem the be fewer errors than usual. :whistle: :)
Take care. Blessings
jamesnorman83
Are You Experienced?

Post by jamesnorman83 »

Hi Henrik,

Great news! Thanks so much for your hard work and looking forward to getting tucked into this properly.

Here's a few things that I've spotted quickly:

1. When using a Mac and/or PC, the scrolling on the front page is now quite annoying. There seem to be two scrolling zones (I don't know the technical terms!) which is new and is quite frustrating to operate. This works fine on a phone though.

2. When using an iPhone though, none of the Spotify links appear any more on individual song pages (I get an 'aw snap!' error). Do others get this?

3. Some more minor things. The Spotify link for The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's "Fire" has disappeared since the artist name was updated (it is still on the Spotify playlist).

4. There's a slight error regarding the Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment entry: the Feat. Jamila Woods credited has accidentally gone on the album 'Surf' page rather than on the song "Sunday Candy".

Thanks again!

James
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jamesnorman83 wrote:Hi Henrik,

Great news! Thanks so much for your hard work and looking forward to getting tucked into this properly.

Here's a few things that I've spotted quickly:

1. When using a Mac and/or PC, the scrolling on the front page is now quite annoying. There seem to be two scrolling zones (I don't know the technical terms!) which is new and is quite frustrating to operate. This works fine on a phone though.

2. When using an iPhone though, none of the Spotify links appear any more on individual song pages (I get an 'aw snap!' error). Do others get this?

3. Some more minor things. The Spotify link for The Crazy World of Arthur Brown's "Fire" has disappeared since the artist name was updated (it is still on the Spotify playlist).

4. There's a slight error regarding the Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment entry: the Feat. Jamila Woods credited has accidentally gone on the album 'Surf' page rather than on the song "Sunday Candy".

Thanks again!

James
Thanks for these comments, James. What browser(s) did you use when you got the first error?

On my iphone I don’t have a problem with either error 2 or 3.
jamesnorman83
Are You Experienced?

Post by jamesnorman83 »

Hi Henrik,

Strange - points 2 and 3 are now fine for me too. Not sure what happened there!

For point 1, I used Firefox on a Mac and Google Chrome on a Windows PC. Neither are the newest of machines (3 years or so) so the browsers may be a little old!

Cheers,

James
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

The Clean have been extracted from The Clash, but are still showing up as being from the UK rather than NZ!
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

The song Deep Cover doesn't appear on Snoop Dogg's artist page
Shakermaker
Are You Experienced?

Post by Shakermaker »

Lil Jon's "Get Low" is listed as featuring "Ying-Yang Twins" - there's no hyphen in the name.
(also, the song's missing from their page - http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/artist/Yi ... 0Twins.htm)

Migos' "Bad and Boujee" is missing from Lil Uzi Vert's page.

Cham featuring Akon's "Ghetto Story" - Worth noting that the original version of this song ("Ghetto Story") only featured Cham, while the remix version ("Ghetto Story Chapter 3") featured Akon. Its song page contains lists which feature the original version and lists which feature the remix, so perhaps the song could be relisted as "Ghetto Story / Ghetto Story Chapter 3 (feat. Akon)", or something along the lines of that?

Zomby's "Natalia's Song" - This is a bit of an anomaly in the sense that this song was originally credited solely to Zomby. Reark argued that he was wrongfully omitted from the credits, filed a complaint with the label (4AD), and 4AD agreed and had him added to the song's artist credits a few months after its release. The song now shows up on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, the 4AD website, etc. credited to both Zomby and Reark. Not sure what the procedure would be here but one could make the case that he should be credited here too.

The Orb's "A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules from the Centre of the Ultraworld" was first released in 1989.

"G-Love and Special Sauce" --> "G. Love and Special Sauce"

Top artists page for Alaska (http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/country/USA_Alaska.htm) turns up a dead link.

Some missing artist credits:
Massive Attack's "Protection" - this is credited to "Massive Attack with Tracey Thorn" on its single cover (though not on the album, so I'm not entirely sure of procedure here)
Method Man, Redman, Canibus and DMX - featured on LL Cool J's "4,3,2,1"
Missy Elliott - featured on Tweet's "Oops (Oh My)"
Chrome - featured on Dizzee Rascal's "Dance wiv Me"
Lazy Jay - featured on Azealia Banks' "212"

Some AllMusic changes (noted back on the ratings changes page):
4.5 stars:
Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me

5 stars:
Baroness - Blue Record
Boris - Pink
Broadcast - The Noise Made by People
Broadcast - Haha Sound
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country
J Dilla - Donuts
The Knife - Silent Shout
Kvelertak - Meir
The Microphones - The Glow, Pt. 2
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks
Last edited by Shakermaker on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Monte
Let's Get It On

Post by Monte »

Wait, I had no idea that this had already been updated. I didn't see any announcement
Since when?

Thank you very much.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

filmman wrote:Wait, I had no idea that this had already been updated. I didn't see any announcement
Since when?
Thank you very much.
Updated one week ago:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6834
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

The Barbados album page is accessible through URL but doesn't exist under the Lists by Country tab.
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

I was just wondering if Death Disco by Public Image Ltd. should be labeled as Death Disco / Swan Lake, given the version of the song on Metal Box has the latter title?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Since the last update Latin Grammy are considered, so these songs are included in AM and were nominated or won Song of the Year Category.

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... 51&p=84343

Juanes – "Fíjate Bien" (nominee - 2001)
Juanes – "A Dios le Pido" (nominee - 2002)
Café Tacvba – "Eres" (nominee - 2004)
Jorge Drexler – "Al Otro Lado del Río" (nominee - 2005)
Calle 13 featuring Totó la Momposina, Susana Baca and Maria Rita - "Latinoamérica" (won - 2011)
Natalia Lafourcade - "Hasta La Raíz" (won - 2015)

Since the last update Latin Grammy are considered, so these songs are included in AM and were nominated or won Record of the Year Category.

Santana feat Maná - "Corazón Espinado" (won - 2000)
Ricky Martin – "Livin' la Vida Loca" (nominee - 2000)
Juanes – "Fíjate Bien" (nominee - 2001)
Molotov – "Frijolero" (nominee - 2003)
Daddy Yankee – "Gasolina" (nominee - 2005)
Julieta Venegas – "Me Voy" (nominee - 2006)
Calle 13 featuring Totó la Momposina, Susana Baca and Maria Rita - "Latinoamérica" (won - 2011)
Natalia Lafourcade - "Hasta La Raíz" (won - 2015)

I've just realized Henrik only add Record of the Year :)
jamesnorman83
Are You Experienced?

Post by jamesnorman83 »

Hi Henrik,

Issue 1 I mentioned above is fixed now (you probably know this!). And I think error 2 was caused by me not being logged in to Spotify on my phone at the time.

I've spotted something else though, but not sure how widespread it is as I've only had a chance to check a few pages at random.

On an individual song page (e.g. Talk Talk's "Such a Shame" - http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/song/S8672.htm), it lists the all time, decade and year ranking. Except I don't think these have been updated: "Such a Shame" fell from #3457 to #3527 in the all time list, and from #548 to #549 in the decade list, but the previous positions are shown.

Similarly, "Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck)" by Run the Jewels climbed from #1818 to #1786 in the all time list and fell from #137 to #150 in the decade list but the 2017 ranking is shown.

The same is replicated on the albums pages: 'Run the Jewels 2' (http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/album/A5392.htm) shows the 2017 positions for both all time and decade rankings.

From my brief look, the year rankings seem ok, but probably worth checking!

Cheers,

James
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Is it correct that Nina Simone's Pastel Blues doesn't have enough critic recommendations to be bubbling under? It placed high in the Pitchfork 60s albums list.
I feel like that
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

This Land Is Your Land

Post by Hymie »

This has been an error all along. "This Land Is Your Land" was not released in 1951. This is the album that it supposedly was from:

As you can see, it's a various artist album with a very similar title to the song, but that song is not on the album. This is a mistake originally made by somebody decades ago, and it has persisted til now. Not sure when the track was first issued, but it definitely was not 1951.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The updated version:

This land is your land
This land is my land
But it's not your land
And it's not your land
Live just like I do
Or else go back to your land
This land is made for folks like me
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Didn't the 1001 Songs book say 1942?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Okay, it looks like the song is on that album, and they did not list it on the cover. Here's the Discogs listing with a picture of the label. The title is "This Land Is My Land."

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-La ... se/3602093
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

The reissue clears up what was confusing me.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-This-La ... se/3146825

The titles on the original cover were not the song titles. They were descriptions of which workers each song was about. But the correct title of the song seems to be "This Land Is My Land."
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

PlasticRam wrote:Is it correct that Nina Simone's Pastel Blues doesn't have enough critic recommendations to be bubbling under? It placed high in the Pitchfork 60s albums list.
Henrik had said numerous times that he wasn't going to be adding any pre-2017 albums to the lists in this update (with the single obvious exception of 2016's Run The Jewels 3 because of its performance in the 2017 EOY lists). If we ever do see another all-time lists update Pastel Blues would almost certainly be added.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Arlo Guthrie's song "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" is missing an e at the end
gorby1980
Superunknown

Post by gorby1980 »

In the "Lists by genre", all the genres beginning by "Latin", plus Lautareasca, have wrong links. For example, "Latin Rock" leads to the Latin Pop page.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

On the 1982 and 1980s list, "Taschenrechner / Pocket Calculator" by Kraftwerk is listed as being by "Taschenrechner / Pocket Calculator" (the song title is listed in the artist column). It appears correct on the all-time list.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

This one is pretty significant: Steve Lacy, the jazz saxophonist whose 1959 album Reflections: Steve Lacy Plays Thelonious Monk is in the top 3000, is NOT the same person as Steve Lacy, the hip-hop producer and member of The Internet who appears on the Songs list as a featured artist on Tyler, The Creator's "911/Mr. Lonely." (Jazz Steve Lacy died in 2004.)

Right now they're conflated on the same artist page, with an all-time artist rank of #1996. They each need their own artist page, obviously, which would create two separate rankings as well.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

The artist page for Question Mark and the Mysterians gives a 404 error
gorby1980
Superunknown

Post by gorby1980 »

Héroes del Silencio is listed twice in Top Artists (2757 and 3095) and in Top Artists of the 1990s (570 and 646).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

BleuPanda wrote:On the 1982 and 1980s list, "Taschenrechner / Pocket Calculator" by Kraftwerk is listed as being by "Taschenrechner / Pocket Calculator" (the song title is listed in the artist column). It appears correct on the all-time list.
This happens again for 1978's The Man Machine song.
jamesnorman83
Are You Experienced?

Post by jamesnorman83 »

Hi Henrik,

A few minor observations...

1. "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" by The Pet Shop Boys feat. Dusty Springfield is missing the question mark on Dusty Springfield's artist page only (it's correct on The Pet Shop Boys')

2. "Rocket 88' should be credited to Jackie Brenton and His Delta Cats

3. Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood" features Del tha Funky Homosapien

4. I think all Neil Young's songs for 1979 ("Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)", "Powderfinger" and "My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)" should be credited to Neil Young & Crazy House rather than Neil Young with Crazy Horse as that's how the Rust Never Sleeps album lists them. The other 1979 track "Pocahontas" is already listed that way

5. The accepted spelling of Björk's "Hyperballad" seems to be without a hyphen. That said, it fist appeared on Post with a hyper included, but with a small 'b' (i.e. "Hyper-ballad"). So I think one or other of those should be used

6. It also seems to be accepted that there should be a question mark on "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" by Fairport Convention

7. Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hotrod" should list 'hotrod' as one word. It was also first released as a single in 1991

8. "Life Is Sweet" by The Chemical Brothers features Tim Burgess

9. "Kanga Roo" by Big Star was first written as two words with no hyphen

10. Finally, one that's really very petty and isn't an error, but is inconsistent with other uses on the site... "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. should probably have the 'as' listed without a capital 'a'

Ta,

James
Last edited by jamesnorman83 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shakermaker
Are You Experienced?

Post by Shakermaker »

Bit of a mix-up on Nelly's page: the 2000 album is actually entitled Country Grammar, while the 2000 song is entitled "Country Grammar (Hot Shit)".
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The Shamen’s ”Pro>gen” and ”Move Any Mountain” should be merged into one song entry, I think. In fact, after a comment by Sweepstakes Ron a couple of years ago, I thought I had already made this change.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

It's The Spencer Davis Group, with 'the'.
I feel like that
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Duke Ellington "In a Mellowtone" appears on the list
Utne (USA) - The Loose Canon - 150 Great Works (1999)
Huangal70
Wannabe

Post by Huangal70 »

I Don't know if this has been raised or not but i'm pretty sure the Amy Winehouse song is 'Me and Mr. Jones', rather than 'Me and Mrs. Jones' which it is listed as. It's a reference rather than cover of Billy Paul
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Nine Inch Nails song “Came Back Haunted” is listed on AM as “Come Back Haunted”.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Velvet Underground album White Light/White Heat was released in 1968, not in 1967.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:The Velvet Underground album White Light/White Heat was released in 1968, not in 1967.
Maybe I was asked to change the title track to 1967 (which I think would be correct) but changed the album info instead. :(
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Archie Roach Took the Children Away appears on Sounds of Australia Archive
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The Bruce Springsteen song “Wrecking Ball” should be a 2012 song, not a 2010 song.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:The Bruce Springsteen song “Wrecking Ball” should be a 2012 song, not a 2010 song.
A live recording was released as a single in 2010.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
Nick wrote:The Bruce Springsteen song “Wrecking Ball” should be a 2012 song, not a 2010 song.
A live recording was released as a single in 2010.
RYM says you’re right. I guess I should’ve checked there before posting!
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

David Bowie – No Plan appears on In Deep Music Archive
Idem for
David Bowie – The Man Who Sold The World
Feist – Pleasure
Fever Ray – To The Moon And Back
Fleet Foxes – Third Of May
Many of 2017 songs in fact...

Swell Season - Falling Slowly under Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová – Falling Slowly – 2006
lagire
Keep On Movin'

Post by lagire »

Idem for Johnny Cash with June Carter Jackson
Lana del rey – love
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

The Flaming Lips’ ”Bad Days” is from 1994, not 1995.
Green Day's "Brain Stew" is from 1995, not 1996.
Ani DiFranco’s ”You Had Time” is from 1994, not 1995.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Reward by The Teardrop Explores already appeared on the original 1980 release of Kilimanjaro, but is on AM at 1981.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”