The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition

Dan
Movin' On Up

Re: The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition

Post by Dan »

:greetings-waveyellow: Late list poster here. In fact, this late list poster still doesn’t have his list ready. I have a list of 1000 songs, but the songs aren’t fully ranked yet. I have ranked my favourite songs by year, and even my favourite songs by decade… but I’m still comparing my decade lists with one another to come up with an overall top 1000.

Sweepstakes Ron, I said I’d post my list by the end of today, but that’s unlikely to happen. I’m being very meticulous with my placing of songs (maybe too meticulous, considering that on any other day the order of my songs will likely look different) but I want to post a list I feel happy with and I’m not there yet.

I will be out and about tomorrow evening, but I’ll hopefully be in a position to post my list on Thursday. It’s probably very cheeky of me to ask for an extension (again), especially as the vast majority of people managed to submit their lists by the original deadline, but I’m asking anyway because I’ve put a lot of work into it. I can empathize with jamieW’s regret about not starting with his list earlier.

Speaking of Jamie, he has said that this is a poll he is very keen to participate in, and it would be a shame not to see a list from him. So, I guess what I’m asking, Sweepstakes Ron, is if there is any flexibility in giving Jamie the time he needs to complete his list? If, say, Jamie would be in a position to submit his list by next Sunday, would that pose a problem for you? I don’t know what your current situation is. Perhaps now is the best time for you to compile the overall list and to work on the presentation, and you won’t have sufficient time to do that later. If that is the case, I’m sure Jamie would be fine with that (I would be too, if you can’t extend the deadline for me any further either). Jamie might respond by saying that he just won’t have the time to complete his list and extending the deadline for him would be unnecessary. I just wanted to check your flexibility on this as (like others) I’ve been looking forward to his list.

I would have asked the same about extending the deadline for Father2TheMan, but jeezo, if he hasn’t started ranking a list of 5000 songs yet, we’d have to wait until Christmas. :D
...will keep us together.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Dan wrote::greetings-waveyellow: Late list poster here. In fact, this late list poster still doesn’t have his list ready. I have a list of 1000 songs, but the songs aren’t fully ranked yet. I have ranked my favourite songs by year, and even my favourite songs by decade… but I’m still comparing my decade lists with one another to come up with an overall top 1000.

Sweepstakes Ron, I said I’d post my list by the end of today, but that’s unlikely to happen. I’m being very meticulous with my placing of songs (maybe too meticulous, considering that on any other day the order of my songs will likely look different) but I want to post a list I feel happy with and I’m not there yet.

I will be out and about tomorrow evening, but I’ll hopefully be in a position to post my list on Thursday. It’s probably very cheeky of me to ask for an extension (again), especially as the vast majority of people managed to submit their lists by the original deadline, but I’m asking anyway because I’ve put a lot of work into it. I can empathize with jamieW’s regret about not starting with his list earlier.

Speaking of Jamie, he has said that this is a poll he is very keen to participate in, and it would be a shame not to see a list from him. So, I guess what I’m asking, Sweepstakes Ron, is if there is any flexibility in giving Jamie the time he needs to complete his list? If, say, Jamie would be in a position to submit his list by next Sunday, would that pose a problem for you? I don’t know what your current situation is. Perhaps now is the best time for you to compile the overall list and to work on the presentation, and you won’t have sufficient time to do that later. If that is the case, I’m sure Jamie would be fine with that (I would be too, if you can’t extend the deadline for me any further either). Jamie might respond by saying that he just won’t have the time to complete his list and extending the deadline for him would be unnecessary. I just wanted to check your flexibility on this as (like others) I’ve been looking forward to his list.

I would have asked the same about extending the deadline for Father2TheMan, but jeezo, if he hasn’t started ranking a list of 5000 songs yet, we’d have to wait until Christmas. :D
For you, I can definitely give the extension. The two-day difference would probably not affect my work output in any way. But Jamie sounded like his list was such a mess that it was as if he hadn't even truly started, so I doubt he'll get anything in. But I can wait on his word.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Dan wrote::greetings-waveyellow: Late list poster here. In fact, this late list poster still doesn’t have his list ready. I have a list of 1000 songs, but the songs aren’t fully ranked yet. I have ranked my favourite songs by year, and even my favourite songs by decade… but I’m still comparing my decade lists with one another to come up with an overall top 1000.

Dan, I am so looking forward to seeing your list, as I'm sure you know.

Like with your decade lists, I also had several ranked lists that I had to combine at the end (an extended female list and a few male lists for different time periods). I made an even spread of the songs from each list to the full top 1000. I merged the lists, sorting all songs by their value from this formula:
1000*(place-0.5)/(number of songs on the list)

Example: I had 359 female songs. My number 100 from that list, First Aid Kit's "Emmylou" got the value 1000*(100-0.5)/359 = 283

I wasn't totally happy with the very top, so in the end a moved around the songs in the top 100 a bit. However, I like that my top songs from the list of recent songs still ended up really high.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

First, I really want to thank sonofsamiam and Dan for your kind words! It was quite a depressing day with me working at my desk and listening to music and thinking about what might've been. After reading your supportive posts, I'm feeling a little better (though I wish I would've been able to submit my list for you to see).

I didn't get too detailed about it, but the main issue was that I included a lot of classical music, and I was having so much trouble figuring out the fairest places to plug the pieces into my list. (Modern classical wasn't a problem, since I remember those quite vividly.) However, while I have yearly lists from about 1930-present, I don't have any guidance for my favorite classical, blues and other recordings from earlier than that, so I thought it only fair to give them all a good re-listening and I just didn't have time.

I am definitely going to take your advice, sonofsam , and establish a fluid spreadsheet to which I'm always devoting time. And yes, Dan, you guessed correctly that I would say I wouldn't want to extend the deadline if it were to interfere with Sweepstakes Ron's work. If it were only a couple of days, like you need, it would be a different story. But (unfortunately) I'll be working 48 more hours before Friday, so I'll be pretty burned out by then. (But I sure do appreciate you trying to help me out - that really means a lot to me!)

Anyway, the bad news is my list would've given a big boost to classical, pre-1960's music, World music, and female artists in general. The good news is that I just spared everyone a lot of female-fronted pop-metal bands! :P (We all know I have a problem - besides my procrastination! But then if I don't learn my lesson after spending well over 100 total hours working on a list I never finished, then there truly is no hope for me!) Best of luck, Sweepstakes Ron - I hope the massive rollout goes as well for you as possible!
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

jamieW wrote:First, I really want to thank sonofsamiam and Dan for your kind words! It was quite a depressing day with me working at my desk and listening to music and thinking about what might've been. After reading your supportive posts, I'm feeling a little better (though I wish I would've been able to submit my list for you to see).

I didn't get too detailed about it, but the main issue was that I included a lot of classical music, and I was having so much trouble figuring out the fairest places to plug the pieces into my list. (Modern classical wasn't a problem, since I remember those quite vividly.) However, while I have yearly lists from about 1930-present, I don't have any guidance for my favorite classical, blues and other recordings from earlier than that, so I thought it only fair to give them all a good re-listening and I just didn't have time.

I am definitely going to take your advice, sonofsam , and establish a fluid spreadsheet to which I'm always devoting time. And yes, Dan, you guessed correctly that I would say I wouldn't want to extend the deadline if it were to interfere with Sweepstakes Ron's work. If it were only a couple of days, like you need, it would be a different story. But (unfortunately) I'll be working 48 more hours before Friday, so I'll be pretty burned out by then. (But I sure do appreciate you trying to help me out - that really means a lot to me!)

Anyway, the bad news is my list would've given a big boost to classical, pre-1960's music, World music, and female artists in general. The good news is that I just spared everyone a lot of female-fronted pop-metal bands! :P (We all know I have a problem - besides my procrastination! But then if I don't learn my lesson after spending well over 100 total hours working on a list I never finished, then there truly is no hope for me!) Best of luck, Sweepstakes Ron - I hope the massive rollout goes as well for you as possible!
Oh man, I even more want to see the list now! Jamie, do you at least have a rough ordered version around? I would suggest just going ahead and submitting it, for two reasons: 1) you clearly worked a ton on it and your voice and influence deserve to be heard and felt, 2) those underrepresented genres you mentioned really need your help!

I think a lot of us wish we had more time to do all the necessary listening in order to present the very best list possible, but sometimes our current state is just that ... a current state that will be supplemented by even more great stuff in the next poll, based on where our musical journey takes us. Or, I could simply state this with a phrase we use around the office -- "don't let perfection be the enemy of progress." We don't demand perfection, we'd just love to see some of your latest favorite songs!

That all said, I totally understand if you still decide not to post this. I just wanted to give one last little nudge. :music-rockon:
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

sonofsamiam wrote:
jamieW wrote:First, I really want to thank sonofsamiam and Dan for your kind words! It was quite a depressing day with me working at my desk and listening to music and thinking about what might've been. After reading your supportive posts, I'm feeling a little better (though I wish I would've been able to submit my list for you to see).

Oh man, I even more want to see the list now! Jamie, do you at least have a rough ordered version around? I would suggest just going ahead and submitting it, for two reasons: 1) you clearly worked a ton on it and your voice and influence deserve to be heard and felt, 2) those underrepresented genres you mentioned really need your help!

I think a lot of us wish we had more time to do all the necessary listening in order to present the very best list possible, but sometimes our current state is just that ... a current state that will be supplemented by even more great stuff in the next poll, based on where our musical journey takes us. Or, I could simply state this with a phrase we use around the office -- "don't let perfection be the enemy of progress." We don't demand perfection, we'd just love to see some of your latest favorite songs!

That all said, I totally understand if you still decide not to post this. I just wanted to give one last little nudge. :music-rockon:
Thanks again, sonofsamiam! When I get out of work tonight, what I will do is focus on a top 250 (the original minimum) and get that together by tomorrow when Dan plans on submitting his chart. I'm well-familiar with all the classical pieces that would end up that high, so it should work out well. (If I'd only done that at the beginning, then I wouldn't be in this position.) I will take your quote regarding perfection to heart and submit what I have, regardless of how I feel about it, by tomorrow at the latest. Giving support to my absolute favorites should supersede whether or not I'm entirely happy with my list.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

jamieW wrote:
sonofsamiam wrote:

Thanks again, sonofsamiam! When I get out of work tonight, what I will do is focus on a top 250 (the original minimum) and get that together by tomorrow when Dan plans on submitting his chart. I'm well-familiar with all the classical pieces that would end up that high, so it should work out well. (If I'd only done that at the beginning, then I wouldn't be in this position.) I will take your quote regarding perfection to heart and submit what I have, regardless of how I feel about it, by tomorrow at the latest. Giving support to my absolute favorites should supersede whether or not I'm entirely happy with my list.
That's great! Also remember, this is a fun poll on a nerdy music website, not a test that you'll be graded on. We'd all love to see your full list at some point even if it's outside the deadline to be counted for this poll.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, Jackson! I probably will post my complete list at some point in the extended lists thread.

For now, I just wanted to let Sweepstakes Ron know that I'll be posting my list tonight, even if it means staying up until 3 a.m.!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Hey, I finally made it! (And actually assembled over 400 songs.) Thanks again to sonofsamiam for giving me the push I needed to finish this. I made the list simply by asking myself which songs have meant the most to my life. (So if anyone is saying "Hey, what's so great about this song?", the answer is probably "Nothing, except it had some major impact on me personally." Time to get five hours of sleep!

1. The Moody Blues – Nights in White Satin
2. Jefferson Starship – Miracles
3. Elvis Presley – We Can Make the Morning
4. Judy Garland – Over the Rainbow
5. Billie Holiday – Strange Fruit
6. Sarah Brightman – Eden
7. Hooverphonic – Eden
8. Sarah McLachlan – Steaming
9. Led Zeppelin – Stairway to Heaven
10. Marillion – Ocean Cloud
11. Otis Redding – (Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay
12. Rebecca St. James – Universe
13. The Cure – A Night Like This
14. Sun Kil Moon – Pray For Newtown
15. Chromatics – Birds of Paradise
16. Glenn Miller – Moonlight Serenade
17. Pyotr Ilyich Tchiakovsky – The Nutcracker: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy
18. Arcade Fire – Wake Up
19. Nightwish – Our Decades in the Sun
20. Dreamies – Program Ten
21. Porcupine Tree – Sentimental
22. Kashiwa Daisuke – Stella
23. The Association – Cherish
24. Sarah McLachlan – Possession
25. The Beatles – A Day in the Life
26. Leonard Cohen – Everybody Knows
27. Delerium F/ Rani – Fallen
28. Lauren Christy – Walk This Earth Alone
29. Krzysztof Penderecki – Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
30. Screamin’ Jay Hawkins – I Put a Spell on You
31. Gene Pitney – Town Without Pity
32. Foreigner – Until the End of Time
33. New Order – Dream Attack
34. The Mamas and the Papas – California Dreamin’
35. Elvis Presley – You’ll Think of Me
36. Pyotr Ilyich Tchiakovsky – Romeo and Juliet-Fantasy Overture
37. Tindersticks – Another Night In
38. Fish – A Gentleman’s Excuse Me
39. Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five – The Message
40. Fleetwood Mac – Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win)
41. Brian Eno – By This River
42. Fleetwood Mac – The Chain
43. Arvo Pärt – Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten
44. The Cure – The Last Day of Summer
45. Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower
46. Del Shannon – Runaway
47. Lone Justice – Dreams Come True (Stand Up and Take It)
48. The Carpenters – Superstar
49. Gil Scott-Heron – Home Is Where the Hatred Is
50. Madonna – This Used to Be My Playground
51. The Beatles – Yesterday
52. 5 Billion in Diamonds – Gravity Rules
53. Arcade Fire – Intervention
54. Cold – Confession
55. Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate
56. Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood – Some Velvet Morning
57. Camille Saint-Saëns – The Carnival of the Animals: Aquarium
58. Klaus Schulze – Ludwig II Von Bayern
59. The Spirits – The Cross
60. Backstreet Boys – Climbing the Walls
61. Exposé – December
62. Bob Dylan – Masters of War
63. Jackson C. Frank – I Want to Be Alone (Dialogue)
64. Paul Dolden – Below the Walls of Jericho
65. Elvis Presley – Heartbreak Hotel
66. Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
67. Prince – When Doves Cry
68. Henryk Górecki – Symphony No. 3: I. Lento: Sostenuto tranquillo ma cantabile
69. Nicolette Larson – Lotta Love
70. Climax Blues Band – Couldn’t Get It Right
71. The Zombies – She’s Not There
72. The Cars – Moving in Stereo
73. Johann Sebastian Bach – Toccata and Fugue in D Minor
74. Bee Gees – How Deep Is Your Love
75. The Spinners – I’ll Be Around
76. Henry Mancini – Love Theme From “Romeo and Juliet”
77. The Hollies – Bus Stop
78. The Beach Boys – Good Vibrations
79. The Cure – Trust
80. George Harrison – My Sweet Lord
81. Sergei Prokofiev – Romeo and Juliet: Dance of the Knights/Montagues and Capulets
82. Pink Floyd – Echoes
83. Brian Eno – In Dark Trees
84. Country Joe & The Fish – The "Fish" Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag (Woodstock Version)
85. Steve Reich – Music For 18 Musicians
86. Evanescence – Imaginary
87. Olivia Newton-John – Hopelessly Devoted to You
88. Yvonne Elliman – If I Can’t Have You
89. Celine Dion – My Heart Will Go On
90. Garbage – A Stroke of Luck
91. Nightwish – For the Heart I Once Had
92. Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells
93. The Cinematic Orchestra – Man With the Movie Camera
94. Carly Simon – That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be
95. Eagles – One of These Nights
96. Evanescence – My Immortal
97. Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through the Grapevine
98. Ludwig Van Beethoven – Für Elise
99. Matthews Southern Comfort – Woodstock
100. Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
101. Jacques Brel – Amsterdam
102. John Coltrane – My Favorite Things
103. Dolly Parton – Jolene
104. Ray Charles – What’d I Say
105. Vaughn Monroe – (Ghost) Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend)
106. Mykola Leontovych – Carol of the Bells
107. The Ronettes – Be My Baby
108. Pink Floyd – Comfortably Numb
109. Howlin’ Wolf – Smokestack Lightnin’
110. György Ligeti – Requiem
111. Pyotr Ilyich Tchiakovsky – Swan Lake: Scene
112. The Andrews Sisters – Bei mir bist du schön
113. Robert Johnson – Cross Road Blues
114. Benny Goodman – Sing, Sing, Sing
115. Artie Shaw – Nightmare
116. Jackie Wilson – Lonely Teardrops
117. Johnny Cash – I Walk the Line
118. Carl Orff – Carmina Burana: Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi - O Fortuna
119. Geeshie Wiley – Last Kind Words Blues
120. Louis Armstrong – St. James Infirmary
121. Miles Davis – So What
122. The Cars – Hello Again
123. Nightwish – Ghost Love Score
124. Delerium F/ Sarah McLachlan – Silence
125. Kate Tempest – Tunnel Vision
126. The Moody Blues – Tuesday Afternoon
127. Donovan – Wear Your Love Like Heaven
128. Julie London – Cry Me a River
129. The Animals – House of the Rising Sun
130. Derek & the Dominos – Layla
131. Michael Jackson – Thriller
132. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – Breakdown
133. Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge Over Troubled Water
134. Heart – Crazy on You
135. Mahmoud Ahmed— Erè Mèla Mèla
136. Bob Dylan – Ballad of a Thin Man
137. Nina Simone – Sinnerman
138. Gustav Mahler – Symphony No. 4: IV. Sehr behaglich
139. Richard Marx – Right Here Waiting
140. Dido – Honestly OK
141. Chuck Berry – Johnny B. Goode
142. Nat King Cole – Nature Boy
143. Samuel Barber – Adagio For Strings
144. Billie Holiday – Summertime
145. Blondie – Call Me
146. Steely Dan – Do It Again
147. Mushroomhead – These Filthy Hands
148. Bob Welch – Ebony Eyes
149. Bill Withers – Ain’t No Sunshine
150. The Afghan Whigs – Into the Floor
151. David Bowie – Lazarus
152. Blue Öyster Cult – (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
153. Within Temptation – Shot in the Dark
154. Lana Del Rey – West Coast
155. Andy Stott – Violence
156. Plumb – I Want You Here
157. Daft Punk – Giorgio By Moroder
158. Nightwish – Walking in the Air
159. Rihanna – Russian Roulette
160. The National – Afraid of Everyone
161. Sufjan Stevens – John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
162. Nick Drake – River Man
163. Skip James – Devil Got My Woman
164. Parn – หยุดตรงนี้ที่เธอ
165. Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin – Je t'aime moi non plus
166. Pink Floyd – Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2
167. The Clash – London Calling
168. Mulatu Astatke – Yèkèrmo Sèw
169. Outkast – Ms. Jackson
170. DJ Shadow – Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
171. Ralph Vaughan Williams – Fantasia on Greensleeves
172. David Bowie – Moonage Daydream
173. Stevie Nicks – Edge of Seventeen (Just Like the White Winged Dove)
174. Elvis Presley – Mystery Train
175. Duke Ellington – Take the “A” Train
176. Simon and Garfunkel – The Sound of Silence
177. Aerosmith – Dream On
178. The Who – Behind Blue Eyes
179. Frank Sinatra – It Was a Very Good Year
180. Prince – Something in the Water (Does Not Compute)
181. U2 – Drowning Man
182. New Order – Paradise
183. The Smiths – Bigmouth Strikes Again
184. Bessie Smith – Graveyard Dream Blues
185. The Art Ensemble of Chicago F/ Fontella Bass – Theme de Yoyo
186. The Beatles – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
187. Four Tops – Reach Out, I’ll Be There
188. Neil Young – Southern Man
189. Funkadelic – Maggot Brain
190. Bobby Hutcherson – Patterns
191. Joy Division – New Dawn Fades
192. Martin Denny – The Enchanted Sea
193. Elvis Presley – Jailhouse Rock
194. The Cure – Birdmad Girl
195. Baz Luhrmann – Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen)
196. Toad the Wet Sprocket – Dam Would Break
197. Violent Femmes – Color Me Once
198. Alfred Schnittke – Declaration of Love
199. Evanescence – The Only One
200. Nightwish – Nemo
201. Of Monsters and Men – Wolves Without Teeth
202. Nightwish – Cadence of Her Last Breath
203. Arcade Fire – My Body Is a Cage
204. Dido – Take My Hand
205. Mushroomhead – Our Own Way
206. Nightwish – Rest Calm
207. New Order – Subculture
208. The Cure – Homesick
209. Public Enemy – Fight the Power
210. The Weeknd – The Hills
211. Eminem F/ Dido – Stan
212. Radiohead – Street Spirit (Fade Out)
213. Rebecca St. James – Reborn
214. Benjamin Biolay & Jeanne Cherhal – Brandt Rhapsodie
215. Scott Walker – Farmer in the City
216. Chuck Jackson – Any Day Now (My Wild Beautiful Bird)
217. The Chantays – Pipeline
218. Johannes Brahms – Hungarian Dance No. 5 in G Minor
219. The Rolling Stones – Paint It, Black
220. Sam Cooke – A Change Is Gonna Come
221. Frank Ocean – Pyramids
222. Sly & the Family Stone – Family Affair
223. Igor Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring Part I: Adoration of the Earth
224. Igor Stravinsky – The Rite of Spring Part II: The Sacrifice
225. Henry Cowell – The Banshee
226. Edvard Grieg – Piano Concerto in A Minor: 1st Movement: Allegro Molto Moderato
227. Ludwig Van Beethoven – Symphony No. 5, 1st Movement: Allegro con brio
228. Kanye West F/ Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce CyHi, Swizz Beatz & RZA – So Appalled
229. Julius Eastman – The Holy Presence of Joan d'Arc
230. Olivia Newton-John – Physical
231. Jóhann Jóhannsson – Melodia (Guidelines for a Space Propulsion Device Based on Heim's Quantum Theory)
232. Franz Ferdinand – Take Me Out
233. Marillion – Three Boats Down From the Candy
234. Love – Maybe the People Would Be the Times Or Between Clark and Hilldale
235. The Velvet Underground – Venus in Furs
236. Edvard Grieg – Peer Gynt: In the Hall of the Mountain King
237. Marion Marlowe – The Man in the Raincoat
238. Love – Alone Again Or
239. Buddy Holly & the Crickets – That’ll Be the Day
240. Klergy x Valerie Broussard – The Beginning of the End
241. U2 – New Year’s Day
242. A Tribe Called Quest – We the People…
243. Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill
244. Wham!/George Michael – Careless Whisper
245. Bourgeois Tagg – Body Count
246. Elvis Presley – Loving Arms
247. King Crimson – Starless
248. Abandoned Pools – Fluorescein
249. Simon Le Bon & Susanna Hoffs – Follow in My Footsteps
250. Pixies – Monkey Gone to Heaven
251. Elvis Presley – Can’t Help Falling in Love
252. The Doobie Brothers – Long Train Runnin’
253. King Crimson – Epitaph
254. Rokia Traoré – Dounia
255. R.E.M. – Leave
256. Sparks – This Town Ain’t Big Enough for the Both of Us
257. Patti Smith – Piss Factory
258. Johann Pachelbel – Canon in D Major
259. Seals & Crofts – Summer Breeze
260. Johnny Rivers – Summer Rain
261. Pink Floyd – Time
262. Richard Wagner – Die Walküre: Ride of the Valkyries
263. Jerry Lee Lewis – Great Balls of Fire
264. Gerry Rafferty – Right Down the Line
265. Roxy Music – Love Is the Drug
266. Pink Floyd – Welcome to the Machine
267. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Requiem in D Minor: Lacrimosa
268. John Waite – These Times Are Hard for Lovers
269. Garbage – You Look So Fine
270. Dan Fogelberg & Tim Weisberg – Since You’ve Asked
271. Bill Fay – Time of the Last Persecution
272. Foreigner – Double Vision
273. Arcade Fire – Ready to Start
274. Jem – Falling For You
275. Arcade Fire – Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
276. The Roots F/ Cody Chesnutt – The Seed 2.0
277. Pearl Jame – Black
278. Alice in Chains – Would?
279. Sinéad O'Connor – Troy
280. Rhythim Is Rhythim – Strings of Life
281. Luther Ingram – (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want to Be Right
282. The Carpenters – Sweet, Sweet Smile
283. America – Sister Golden Hair
284. Stevie Wonder – Superstition
285. Little Richard – Long Tall Sally
286. Ray Charles – I Believe to My Soul
287. Univers zero – La faulx
288. Electric Light Orchestra – Showdown
289. Curtis Mayfield – Right On For the Darkness
290. The Temptations – Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone
291. Georges Bizet – Je crois entendre encore
292. Falco – Rock Me Amadeus
293. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major: Adagio
294. Mike + the Mechanics – Silent Running
295. Sarah McLachlan – Fear
296. The Cure – Secrets
297. Sam Cooke – Wonderful World
298. Lesley Gore – You Don’t Own Me
299. Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares—Pritouritze Planinata
300. Joy Division – Decades
301. T-Bone Walker – They Call It Stormy Monday (But Tuesday's Just as Bad)
302. Boy George – The Crying Game
303. The Who – Eminence Front
304. Irene Cara – Flashdance … What a Feeling
305. Sarah McLachlan – Trust
306. The Shirelles – Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
307. The Drifters – Save the Last Dance for Me
308. Howlin’ Wolf – Spoonful
309. Duke Ellington – It Don’t Mean a Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)
310. Joydrop – Cocoon
311. Röyksopp & Robyn – Monument
312. Death Cab For Cutie – Soul Meets Body
313. Frou Frou – Psychobabble
314. Coverdale/Page – Take Me For a Little While
315. Slowdive – Falling Ashes
316. Zola Jesus – Night
317. Radiohead – Climbing Up the Walls
318. Lush – Light From a Dead Star
319. The Tragically Hip – Nautical Disaster
320. Radiohead – Paranoid Android
321. Arcade Fire – Reflektor
322. First Aid Kit – You Are the Problem Here
323. Kashiwa Daisuke – april.#02
324. The Knife – Heartbeats
325. The Beach Boys – Wouldn’t It Be Nice
326. The Beatles – Tomorrow Never Knows
327. The Byrds – Eight Miles High
328. Snow Patrol – Called Out in the Dark
329. Modern Talking – You Can Win If You Want
330. Grimes – REALiTi
331. Björk F/ Thom Yorke – I’ve Seen It All
332. Radiohead – How to Disappear Completely
333. Deep Forest – Night Bird
334. Air – Empty House
335. Aretha Franklin – Respect
336. N.W.A. – Fuck Tha Police
337. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds – The Mercy Seat
338. Ben E. King – Stand By Me
339. Chuck Berry – Downbound Train
340. Renaissance – Mother Russia
341. Soft Verdict (Wim Mertens) – Struggle for Pleasure
342. Yello – Ciel Ouvert
343. Cuts – Bunsen Burner
344. Gustavo Santaolalla – De Ushuaia a la Quiaca
345. Siouxsie & the Banshees – Cities in Dust
346. Sonic Youth – Teen Age Riot
347. Snap! – The Power
348. Electronic – Gangster
349. Sniff ‘n’ the Tears – Driver’s Seat
350. Buzzcocks – Ever Fallen in Love?
351. Led Zeppelin – Kashmir
352. Bob Dylan – Hurricane
353. Sagittarius – My World Fell Down
354. Billie Holiday – Gloomy Sunday
355. Charles Mingus – Mode D-F: Trio and Group Dancers
356. Bill Haley & His Comets – (We’re Gonna) Rock Around the Clock
357. Jimmie Rodgers – Gambling Bar Room Blues
358. Skinny Puppy – Addiction
359. Shiina Ringo – 葬列 (Sōretsu)
360. John Luther Adams – Become Ocean
361. Woody Guthrie – 1913 Massacre
362. Elvis Presley – If I Can Dream
363. New Order – Doubts Even Here
364. The Zombies – Time of the Season
365. Ray Charles – Georgia On My Mind
366. People – I Love You
367. Hank Williams – I’ll Never Get Out of This World Alive
368. Lil Wayne F/ Eminem – Drop the World
369. Arlo Guthrie – Alice’s Restaurant
370. Midlake – Roscoe
371. Modest Mouse – Spitting Venom
372. Blonde Redhead – 23
373. Elmore James – Dust My Broom
374. The Sound – Missiles
375. The Seeds – Pushin’ Too Hard
376. Dusty Springfield – You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me
377. Deep Purple – Child in Time
378. Black Sabbath – Planet Caravan
379. The Shangri-Las – Past, Present and Future
380. Van Morrison – Moondance
381. Dmitri Shostakovich – Jazz Suite: Waltz No. 2
382. Hank Williams – I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry
383. Barbra Streisand – Woman in Love
384. Boston – More Than a Feeling
385. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown – Fire
386. Georges Brassens – La mauvaise reputation
387. Bing Crosby – White Christmas
388. Oscar Brown Jr. – But I Was Cool
389. The Kinks – You Really Got Me
390. Kate Bush – Cloudbusting
391. The Coral – Dreaming of You
392. Anouar Brahem – Vague/E la nave va
393. David Bowie – The Man Who Sold the World
394. Claude Debussy – La mer: III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer
395. Chet Baker – My Funny Valentine
396. Gioacchino Rossini – William Tell Overture
397. Bobby “Blue” Bland – Ain’t No Love in the Heart of the City
398. Catherine Ribeiro + Alps – Paix
399. John Coltrane – A Love Supreme, Part IV: Psalm
400. Sebadoh – Beauty of the Ride
401. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young – Ohio
402. Jacques Brel – Au suivant
403. Sergei Rachmaninoff – The Isle of the Dead
404. Maurice Ravel – Daphnis et Chloe, Suite No. 2
405. Robert Johnson – Hellhound on My Trail
406. John Cage – Imaginary Landscape No. 1
407. Miles Davis – Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio)
408. The Doors – The End
sonofsamiam
Feeling Good

Post by sonofsamiam »

Well THAT was worth it! Well done, Jamie!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

sonofsamiam wrote:Well THAT was worth it! Well done, Jamie!
Thanks, sonofsam - now I have time to relax and start going through your epic 5,000 songs list! You're my main source for great modern classical finds, and I'm sure there are a lot of discoveries there that will end up on my 2021 songs list (which I'd better start immediately if I want to avoid a repeat of this fiasco). ;)
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Great list, JamieW ! Happy you could submit one. Still waiting for Dan's list now...
Sonofsamian your list is (as always) fantastic and a source of infinite discoveries.
I'm amazed by the number and diversity of all those lists and can't wait till the results (but take your time Ron ! :happy-partydance: )
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

DaveC wrote:
nicolas wrote:457 | The Duckworth Lewis Method | Meeting Mr Miandad
Hmm I wonder if Javed Miandad ever played with the Duckworth Lewis Method, I think he might have, but I'm not sure.
:P Played music, I don't think so, played cricket, who knows ???

Have a look at the video it's very funny. A great song, very Beatle-esque.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

OK, so it’s half past midnight here in the UK. I’ve spent all the free time I’ve had over the past couple of days on my list. I encountered a bump in the road when I compared my decade lists with one another and realised that I wasn’t happy with my 60s list. I then decided to revisit my 60s list, but it took up all of my listening time. So now I have revised decade lists but still no overall list.

I’ve alternated between elation and anxiety (thankfully, mostly elation) while going through this listening exercise, but I’m tired now and running out of time again. If I go back to my method of painstakingly comparing my decade lists to reach an overall top 1000 (which is the only method I feel comfortable using now that I’ve come this far with it) I would need more time. But we are now already well beyond the orginal deadline, and I guess a line has to be drawn at giving extensions at some point. Besides, after work tomorrow I’m going away for the weekend, and my husband might actually push me into a lake if I take my laptop with me.

I feel bad as jamieW stayed up until crazy o’clock to submit his list because I said I’d have mine ready by today. But all I can do is to post my list when it’s ready, which will hopefully be at some point next week. I’d fully understand (and expect) it not to be eligible by that time. At least I’d feel a sense of relief to post the damned darling thing.

Taking this far too seriously.
...will keep us together.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Personaly I have ranked my top 200 or so thoroughly then grouped the rest in 5 tiers. The rank within those tiers is randomized, as much for gain of time and because at some point choosing between my 554th and 555th doesn't make much sense.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Dan wrote:OK, so it’s half past midnight here in the UK. I’ve spent all the free time I’ve had over the past couple of days on my list. I encountered a bump in the road when I compared my decade lists with one another and realised that I wasn’t happy with my 60s list. I then decided to revisit my 60s list, but it took up all of my listening time. So now I have revised decade lists but still no overall list.

I’ve alternated between elation and anxiety (thankfully, mostly elation) while going through this listening exercise, but I’m tired now and running out of time again. If I go back to my method of painstakingly comparing my decade lists to reach an overall top 1000 (which is the only method I feel comfortable using now that I’ve come this far with it) I would need more time. But we are now already well beyond the orginal deadline, and I guess a line has to be drawn at giving extensions at some point. Besides, after work tomorrow I’m going away for the weekend, and my husband might actually push me into a lake if I take my laptop with me.

I feel bad as jamieW stayed up until crazy o’clock to submit his list because I said I’d have mine ready by today. But all I can do is to post my list when it’s ready, which will hopefully be at some point next week. I’d fully understand (and expect) it not to be eligible by that time. At least I’d feel a sense of relief to post the damned darling thing.

I will be ready for your list whenever it comes. I can help if you want:

#1 The Gap Band - "You Dropped a Bomb on Me"

:P
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Great to see some awesome lists coming in still. I think we are in for something amazing!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Dan wrote:OK, so it’s half past midnight here in the UK. I’ve spent all the free time I’ve had over the past couple of days on my list. I encountered a bump in the road when I compared my decade lists with one another and realised that I wasn’t happy with my 60s list. I then decided to revisit my 60s list, but it took up all of my listening time. So now I have revised decade lists but still no overall list.

I can sure empathize with you, Dan. But don't feel bad about me staying up until crazy o' clock (that one made me laugh!). I need to thank you again, because if it hadn't been for you and sonofsamiam, I wouldn't have finished my list at all. I join Henrik, Nicolas, Moonbeam, and I'm sure many others on the forum who are excited about seeing your list whenever you have it ready. Hopefully it can still be included, but it will be a treat regardless. (I'm still really, really hoping it will be included.)

It also made me smile when you said your husband might push you in the lake if you brought your laptop. From 11pm-2am last night, as I guzzled coffee and hammered away at my list, my wife asked "Don't you have to work 12 hours tomorrow?" about every 15 minutes. It must be hard for our loved ones to figure our obsessive love for list-making. I'm just thankful I found more like me. Before I discovered the AM forum I felt like a unicorn.

Enjoy your weekend, Dan - I look forward to your list when you get back!
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

nicolas wrote:
DaveC wrote:
nicolas wrote:457 | The Duckworth Lewis Method | Meeting Mr Miandad
Hmm I wonder if Javed Miandad ever played with the Duckworth Lewis Method, I think he might have, but I'm not sure.
:P Played music, I don't think so, played cricket, who knows ???

Have a look at the video it's very funny. A great song, very Beatle-esque.
Only for cricket fans (which should be everyone of course):
I checked, The Duckworth-Lewis method was first used on 1/1/1997 (England vs. Zimbabwe). The great Javed Miandad played his last ODI on 9/3/1996 (vs India). So he certainly didn't play with the Duckworth-Lewis method at international level and I'm also confident that he didn't play on at lower levels past the time of D/L's introduction. So he neither played music nor cricket with D/L. The infamous World-Cup semi-final that inspired the creation of the D/L method was between South Africa and England in 1992. England won but then lost to Pakistan in the final with Javed Miandad's 58 being a telling contribution in a close match.

Great pic Nicolas, and yes a joyful video.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Looking through the lists, I'm impressed at how many voters integrated classical pieces into their lists. It'll be interesting to see which classical 'song' comes out on top and to compare to the classical-specific poll from a few years ago. It's a goal of mine for the next poll (which will be in 2021, holy crap!) to integrate in classical, which is intimidating but hopefully will be fun to do.

Also, if my scan of the lists proves correct, Wuthering Heights and Sinnerman are in for some MAJOR placements.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

How many voters so far?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I don’t know how many lists and how high on each one a song has to be to make the cut, but I feel like some favorites of mine that I wouldn’t have otherwise expected to make it will be there.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Bruno wrote:How many voters so far?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

OK...I know I said I wouldn't edit my list anymore, and I haven't but...I just realized I forgot to put Running Up That Hill on my list, and that's an all-time favorite of mine. Is there any way I can squeeze it in if you've already added it to the spreadsheets? If it's too much of a hassle I'll just leave it be. I guess I had just assumed it was there without ever checking if it actually was.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

StevieFan13 wrote:OK...I know I said I wouldn't edit my list anymore, and I haven't but...I just realized I forgot to put Running Up That Hill on my list, and that's an all-time favorite of mine. Is there any way I can squeeze it in if you've already added it to the spreadsheets? If it's too much of a hassle I'll just leave it be. I guess I had just assumed it was there without ever checking if it actually was.
Yeah, shouldn't be any trouble. But once Dan posts his list, that's the end.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:OK...I know I said I wouldn't edit my list anymore, and I haven't but...I just realized I forgot to put Running Up That Hill on my list, and that's an all-time favorite of mine. Is there any way I can squeeze it in if you've already added it to the spreadsheets? If it's too much of a hassle I'll just leave it be. I guess I had just assumed it was there without ever checking if it actually was.
Yeah, shouldn't be any trouble. But once Dan posts his list, that's the end.
Terrific. You can put it in at #500 and bump everything else down a spot (sorry, Shed Seven)
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Bruno wrote:How many voters so far?
Good!
Thanks, Ron!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

StevieFan13 wrote:I don’t know how many lists and how high on each one a song has to be to make the cut, but I feel like some favorites of mine that I wouldn’t have otherwise expected to make it will be there.
I'm not sure how many songs will be listed in the rollout, but I'd personally like to see every song that got 2 votes (if that doesn't lead to an absurdly long list). Another wishlist item would be to see every person's highest song that no one else voted for.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I don’t know how many lists and how high on each one a song has to be to make the cut, but I feel like some favorites of mine that I wouldn’t have otherwise expected to make it will be there.
I'm not sure how many songs will be listed in the rollout, but I'd personally like to see every song that got 2 votes (if that doesn't lead to an absurdly long list). Another wishlist item would be to see every person's highest song that no one else voted for.
If every song that got two votes made it, I know for a fact that all but one of my top ten songs would make the cut (and if it included the highest-ranked song nobody else voted for, then they’d all get in).
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Lots of esoteric/underground songs will be lost -many non English songs- only because they got only one vote :(
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:
If every song that got two votes made it, I know for a fact that all but one of my top ten songs would make the cut (and if it included the highest-ranked song nobody else voted for, then they’d all get in).
To me, it would be interesting to know what is the most vote song for every single artist mentioned on this votation. Because it would be more genre diversity.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:
The highest lone wolf vote assumedly wouldn't get in, but last time the poll runner made a separate post of them all as a footnote.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:
The highest lone wolf vote assumedly wouldn't get in, but last time the poll runner made a separate post of them all as a footnote.
Right, for the album list
woodymac
Strange Fruit

Post by woodymac »

Live in Phoenix wrote:The highest lone wolf vote assumedly wouldn't get in, but last time the poll runner made a separate post of them all as a footnote.
I remember browsing the last All Time Songs poll and I really liked that feature.
What will happen in the morning
when the world it gets so crowded that you can’t look out the window in the morning?
woodymac
Strange Fruit

Post by woodymac »

Or maybe it was their top rated song that didn't make the cut
What will happen in the morning
when the world it gets so crowded that you can’t look out the window in the morning?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I did see some songs get into the 2015 list with only two votes, so that gives me hope (and I think you know which song I’m pulling for the most, which I counted three votes for).
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

The plan is for the rollout to show the top 2000. After the rollout ends, I will share the complete spreadsheet, so you can view all the data and manipulate it however you please.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:The plan is for the rollout to show the top 2000. After the rollout ends, I will share the complete spreadsheet, so you can view all the data and manipulate it however you please.
Then I’m DEFINITELY feeling good. I knew that I would now!
(Also, it’s so funny looking at the old AM rankings on the old poll. Born in the USA, for instance, wasn’t in the top 1000 in 2015, now it’s in the top 200).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And it sucks that Romain and Blanco didn’t vote. Based on how they voted last time, it would’ve given a big Latin and French boost.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:The plan is for the rollout to show the top 2000. After the rollout ends, I will share the complete spreadsheet, so you can view all the data and manipulate it however you please.
(Also, it’s so funny looking at the old AM rankings on the old poll. Born in the USA, for instance, wasn’t in the top 1000 in 2015, now it’s in the top 200).
Born in the USA has always been in AM's top 250:

2008: 184
2011: 185
2013: 182
2014: 228
2015: 233
2017: 185

I got these from the spreadsheets on the website. Not sure where you're seeing that it wasn't in the top 1000 in 2015?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

so, when's the deadine?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

panam wrote:so, when's the deadine?
The deadlines already passed, really. I'm basically just waiting for Dan. But it will still take several weeks before the results are ready.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Born in the USA has always been in AM's top 250:

2008: 184
2011: 185
2013: 182
2014: 228
2015: 233
2017: 185

I got these from the spreadsheets on the website. Not sure where you're seeing that it wasn't in the top 1000 in 2015?
BleuPanda wrote: 926. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A. (1984)
(601.46 points | 7 votes)
2012 ranking: 389 (change: -537)
AM rank: 1175
Fans: Nick (146)
Perhaps a typo?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Yeah that's definitely a typo.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

One song that's probably going to do better than people expect is Kiss from a Rose. Every single list here has it in the top 500, two put it in the top 100, and one voter had it at #10! In fact, I'm embarrassed to say that at #417, my list has it the lowest.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

A casual glance at the lists suggests that we can probably expect a top 20, maybe even top 10, placement for "Wuthering Heights", which is a song that I've known for a while but I hadn't really fell in love with until recently (the song was totally absent from my top 500 in 2015 and now it's my #17 song of all time, which is an absurd jump that basically never happens in my rather static lists).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I also won't make any further demands since my adding it won't really change anything (it's only on one other list), but remind me to add "Can I Get A..." by Jay-Z in 2021.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote:A casual glance at the lists suggests that we can probably expect a top 20, maybe even top 10, placement for "Wuthering Heights", which is a song that I've known for a while but I hadn't really fell in love with until recently (the song was totally absent from my top 500 in 2015 and now it's my #17 song of all time, which is an absurd jump that basically never happens in my rather static lists).
Deservedly so. It's in my top 100 as well.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Since we're discussing the presentation format (and if there will be a fans section) how about presenting all fans instead of the biggest fan(s) for songs with, say, 5 or less voters? If this requires more work then forget about it, but perhaps it is actually more work to find the biggest fans then to just throw them all in.

I really don't want to demand any extra work here. A top 2000 sounds overwhelmingly good!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Since we're discussing the presentation format (and if there will be a fans section) how about presenting all fans instead of the biggest fan(s) for songs with, say, 5 or less voters? If this requires more work then forget about it, but perhaps it is actually more work to find the biggest fans then to just throw them all in.

I really don't want to demand any extra work here. A top 2000 sounds overwhelmingly good!
Happy to pitch in with some code to help. I have used code to help with presentations before, and something like this (and whatever Sweepstakes Ron wants) can be done this way from the master spreadsheet of songs.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”