letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Kanye West - Lift Yourself, new single

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Kanye West - Lift Yourself, new single

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Aw, I wish it wasn’t so short. He said his new album has 7 tracks, so I hope some of them are much longer (then again, Kanye’s said that he’d do a lot of things he didn’t actually do).
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Kind of a joke song, but still enjoyable. I hope this won't be one of the seven songs on the album though.

Edit: This is not a serious song at all. Part of the context is that he was talking on Twitter about doing hard bars.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Kanye's a tool, The Life of Pablo sucked, this sucks, we're done here.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I know Kanye's lyrics aren't the selling point, but "woop ditty poop da scoop" or whatever garbage that he's rapping here is pretty bad even by his standards. Weird song, not a fan.

Also, on the topic of his new album being only seven songs: why believe anything that Kanye says? Especially after the entire Life of Pablo fiasco.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Interesting we get a song called Lift Yourself days after he has updated his brand to 'rebelliously' support Trump and implied he's going to run for President. 'Lift yourself by your bootstraps' being the libertarian battle cry.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Listyguy wrote:I know Kanye's lyrics aren't the selling point, but "woop ditty poop da scoop" or whatever garbage that he's rapping here is pretty bad even by his standards.
Well, it seems pretty obvious that that's the point. I actually think it's a pretty funny joke (or "trolling" if you want).
He's not the verse to do a voluntarily crappy verse (at the very least Puppetmastaz did it before) but coming from him it takes even more meaning.
I don't know if it's a take on braggacio in rap (don't think so), or just having fun on the buzz and expectations behind anything he does (most likely). But the bragging tweets, the pretty great beat, and then tease for "this next verse" and "these bars" and then suddenly the silliest lyrics with the most serious delivery... well, he got us pretty good, well done.
And once again, that's a very common trope in comedies to build expectations on something, sell it as the most incredible thing, and then end up with something ridiculous or underwhelming, but as far as this goes, this was a masterclass.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Jirin wrote:Interesting we get a song called Lift Yourself days after he has updated his brand to 'rebelliously' support Trump and implied he's going to run for President. 'Lift yourself by your bootstraps' being the libertarian battle cry.
There are an infinite number of reasons why a libertarian wouldn't support Trump. Not least that free trade opponents and libertarians are mutually exclusive groups.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:Kanye's a tool, The Life of Pablo sucked, this sucks, we're done here.
Wow no.

Just when I thought I was starting to like you. I thought you were a hip hop head but stating Nas sucks and now Kanye too. Your views on hip hop are a little shaky to me.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Kanye's a tool, The Life of Pablo sucked, this sucks, we're done here.
Wow no.

Just when I thought I was starting to like you. I thought you were a hip hop head but stating Nas sucks and now Kanye too. Your views on hip hop are a little shaky to me.
He's in the sunken place.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
Wow no.

When did I say Nas sucks? I love Nas! Maybe I was just saying Takeover was better than Ether? (Cuz it is?)

And I love a lot of Kanye’s music. All of the Lights is in my all-time top 25. He’s done a lot of great work. This does not negate the fact that he’s an impulsive jerk and that I thought The Life of Pablo was overlong and pretentious (BUT I think that albums like MBDTF and College Dropout are excellent, if imperfect). I can like an artists work even if I think the artist isn’t a great person, which I’ve never thought Kanye was and certainly don’t now.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Wow no.

When did I say Nas sucks? I love Nas! Maybe I was just saying Takeover was better than Ether? (Cuz it is?)

And I love a lot of Kanye’s music. All of the Lights is in my all-time top 25. He’s done a lot of great work. This does not negate the fact that he’s an impulsive jerk and that I thought The Life of Pablo was overlong and pretentious (BUT I think that albums like MBDTF and College Dropout are excellent, if imperfect). I can like an artists work even if I think the artist isn’t a great person, which I’ve never thought Kanye was and certainly don’t now.
i don't remember EXACTLY what you said but it was something like Nas doesn't have many good songs/singles and his albums haven't been very good since Illmatic. It was in one of the jay-Z top songs thread, I think?

Kanye is Kanye man. You either take it for what it is or you don't. I take it for what it is, others don't. What he does pales in comparison to what some other REALLY do in our society. Life Of Pablo wasn't his best work but the entire experience was still fun for me and others.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

PlasticRam wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Wow no.

He's in the sunken place.
LOL yeah I've heard that a time or two. Especially lately. :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote: Wow no.

i don't remember EXACTLY what you said but it was something like Nas doesn't have many good songs/singles and his albums haven't been very good since Illmatic. It was in one of the jay-Z top songs thread, I think?

Kanye is Kanye man. You either take it for what it is or you don't. I take it for what it is, others don't. What he does pales in comparison to what some other REALLY do in our society. Life Of Pablo wasn't his best work but the entire experience was still fun for me and others.
Oh yeah, I did say that. I definitely think Illmatic was the insurmountable peak, but he has had highlights since then. He’s also an abuser but whatever.

I sort of take him for what he is? As a casual listener his big production spectaculars (All of the Lights, Stronger, Gold Digger, his Jay-Z collabs) are the big faves. (Also, this will make me sound like a hater but I don’t care: Kanye is one of the greatest producers of all time, but his bars blow. They’re only worth quoting for how hilariously bad they are for the most part. There are definitely major exceptions, but I’ve always considered him an A+ producer and a C+ rapper. The new stuff doesn’t change that at all. Sorry!)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

So bottom line: I don’t think Nas sucks, but he peaked a long time ago. I think Kanye is a great producer and not great as an actual rapper, but I do enjoy a lot of his tracks.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:So bottom line: I don’t think Nas sucks, but he peaked a long time ago. I think Kanye is a great producer and not great as an actual rapper, but I do enjoy a lot of his tracks.
Nas is still peaking. maybe not at his apex but he's still puts out good albums. And that abuser stuff with Kelis. I don't know. That was such a toxic relationship. They both abused each other. i don't condone it but Kelis isn't innocent in that situation. They are also going thru a nasty custody of their son so she's going to say things to get some favor.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: When did I say Nas sucks? I love Nas! Maybe I was just saying Takeover was better than Ether? (Cuz it is?)

Oh yeah, I did say that. I definitely think Illmatic was the insurmountable peak, but he has had highlights since then. He’s also an abuser but whatever.

I sort of take him for what he is? As a casual listener his big production spectaculars (All of the Lights, Stronger, Gold Digger, his Jay-Z collabs) are the big faves. (Also, this will make me sound like a hater but I don’t care: Kanye is one of the greatest producers of all time, but his bars blow. They’re only worth quoting for how hilariously bad they are for the most part. There are definitely major exceptions, but I’ve always considered him an A+ producer and a C+ rapper. The new stuff doesn’t change that at all. Sorry!)
Completely disagree with his bars blowing or whatever? Kanye's bars on 'Can't Tell Me Nothing', 'Jesus Walks', 'All Falls Down', 'Through The Wire', 'Diamonds From Sierra Leone', 'Gorgeous', 'Last Call' don't blow. Kanye outshined your boy Jay-Z on Watch The Throne. So if Kanye blows, then Jay must really blow at least on that album. Is Kanye the best rapper? No but I can't co-sign 'Kanye's bars blow', and I don't know if it makes you a hater but it makes me question your hip hop knowledge a little bit.

And mods, Henrik and whoever please don't take this as me arguing with Stevie. This is just friendly hip hop debate/banter, nothing more or less. I know that's coming next. 'What the hell are doing bootsy?', 'I'm outraged at this' :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote: i don't remember EXACTLY what you said but it was something like Nas doesn't have many good songs/singles and his albums haven't been very good since Illmatic. It was in one of the jay-Z top songs thread, I think?

Completely disagree with his bars blowing or whatever? Kanye's bars on 'Can't Tell Me Nothing', 'Jesus Walks', 'All Falls Down', 'Through The Wire', 'Diamonds From Sierra Leone', 'Gorgeous', 'Last Call' don't blow. Kanye outshined your boy Jay-Z on Watch The Throne. So if Kanye blows, then Jay must really blow at least on that album. Is Kanye the best rapper? No but I can't co-sign 'Kanye's bars blow', and I don't know if it makes you a hater but it makes me question your hip hop knowledge a little bit.

And mods, Henrik and whoever please don't take this as me arguing with Stevie. This is just friendly hip hop debate/banter, nothing more or less. I know that's coming next. 'What the hell are doing bootsy?', 'I'm outraged at this' :mrgreen:
Those were the exceptions I was talking about. Even on songs by him I LIKE I get frustrated with some of his rhymes (The Klondike/blonde d**e rhyme on Stronger, Christ almighty...). And I'm not dying for every single bar Jay's done either! (I'm Jewish, how do you think I felt when it got to *that line* in The Story of OJ?). I feel like I can be pretty sound in my hip-hop knowledge without thinking every single acclaimed rapper is on it 100% of the time. Rap fans, like any subset of music fans, can look at things through rose-colored glasses, and in an age of hindsight stuff we used to give rappers a pass for isn't necessarily solid today. Sometimes that comes down to morality (some Big Daddy Kane/DMX/Eminem bars reeeaaalllyyy don't hold up today, much as I admire all three), but sometimes it just comes down to "this was fucking huge when it came out and I got swept up in it." Sometimes when I listen to a majorly-hyped rapper years after the song/album came out, I get that same kind of excitement (I still wile out every time Shimmy Shimmy Ya or Regulate comes on, and I have no idea how dope they must've sounded back in the day). Sometimes I don't (*cough*Lil Wayne*cough*). Kanye falls squarely in the middle, since the majority of his music is stuff I've heard after it was big: the bars/beats that hold up really hold up, the ones that don't are embarrassing. But I can say that for a number of rappers. Kanye just so happens to be a very relevant one right now.

And yeah, no worries. Debates are fun!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:So bottom line: I don’t think Nas sucks, but he peaked a long time ago. I think Kanye is a great producer and not great as an actual rapper, but I do enjoy a lot of his tracks.
Nas is still peaking. maybe not at his apex but he's still puts out good albums. And that abuser stuff with Kelis. I don't know. That was such a toxic relationship. They both abused each other. i don't condone it but Kelis isn't innocent in that situation. They are also going thru a nasty custody of their son so she's going to say things to get some favor.
This is true. I'm giving a little benefit of the doubt but I don't know the whole situation.
Nas still puts out good stuff. Sometimes great stuff. Nothing I'd put on the same level as Illmatic.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote: Those were the exceptions I was talking about. Even on songs by him I LIKE I get frustrated with some of his rhymes (The Klondike/blonde d**e rhyme on Stronger, Christ almighty...). And I'm not dying for every single bar Jay's done either! (I'm Jewish, how do you think I felt when it got to *that line* in The Story of OJ?). I feel like I can be pretty sound in my hip-hop knowledge without thinking every single acclaimed rapper is on it 100% of the time. Rap fans, like any subset of music fans, can look at things through rose-colored glasses, and in an age of hindsight stuff we used to give rappers a pass for isn't necessarily solid today. Sometimes that comes down to morality (some Big Daddy Kane/DMX/Eminem bars reeeaaalllyyy don't hold up today, much as I admire all three), but sometimes it just comes down to "this was fucking huge when it came out and I got swept up in it." Sometimes when I listen to a majorly-hyped rapper years after the song/album came out, I get that same kind of excitement (I still wile out every time Shimmy Shimmy Ya or Regulate comes on, and I have no idea how dope they must've sounded back in the day). Sometimes I don't (*cough*Lil Wayne*cough*). Kanye falls squarely in the middle, since the majority of his music is stuff I've heard after it was big: the bars/beats that hold up really hold up, the ones that don't are embarrassing. But I can say that for a number of rappers. Kanye just so happens to be a very relevant one right now.

Sure you can say this but you went to the other extreme by saying his bars completely suck as well. That's pretty drastic too don't you think?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
This is true. I'm giving a little benefit of the doubt but I don't know the whole situation.
Nas still puts out good stuff. Sometimes great stuff. Nothing I'd put on the same level as Illmatic.
I can make an argument that It Was Written, Stillmatic are pretty close to Illmatic. Illmatic is still his magnus opus (I think that's right) but it's not that far above those two albums. What makes Illmatic so great for me is it came out at a very important time for East Coast hip hop. The East was in pretty bad shaped in the early 90s. Snoop, Dre, Cube, etc were killing it and the East Coast veterans Public Enemy, Run-DMC, even LL's work were getting pretty stale during that time. Also came Enter the 36 Chambers and Illmatic and a little later Ready To Die. Those three albums brought a freshness back to the East. Also Illmatic being a short album in terms of the number of tracks and every song being so good made it very special. I just listened to that album a few days ago and it still sounds so good in 2018.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Those were the exceptions I was talking about. Even on songs by him I LIKE I get frustrated with some of his rhymes (The Klondike/blonde d**e rhyme on Stronger, Christ almighty...). And I'm not dying for every single bar Jay's done either! (I'm Jewish, how do you think I felt when it got to *that line* in The Story of OJ?). I feel like I can be pretty sound in my hip-hop knowledge without thinking every single acclaimed rapper is on it 100% of the time. Rap fans, like any subset of music fans, can look at things through rose-colored glasses, and in an age of hindsight stuff we used to give rappers a pass for isn't necessarily solid today. Sometimes that comes down to morality (some Big Daddy Kane/DMX/Eminem bars reeeaaalllyyy don't hold up today, much as I admire all three), but sometimes it just comes down to "this was fucking huge when it came out and I got swept up in it." Sometimes when I listen to a majorly-hyped rapper years after the song/album came out, I get that same kind of excitement (I still wile out every time Shimmy Shimmy Ya or Regulate comes on, and I have no idea how dope they must've sounded back in the day). Sometimes I don't (*cough*Lil Wayne*cough*). Kanye falls squarely in the middle, since the majority of his music is stuff I've heard after it was big: the bars/beats that hold up really hold up, the ones that don't are embarrassing. But I can say that for a number of rappers. Kanye just so happens to be a very relevant one right now.

Sure you can say this but you went to the other extreme by saying his bars completely suck as well. That's pretty drastic too don't you think?
You make a point. His bars don’t always suck, but I’d also say they do frequently.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote: Nas is still peaking. maybe not at his apex but he's still puts out good albums. And that abuser stuff with Kelis. I don't know. That was such a toxic relationship. They both abused each other. i don't condone it but Kelis isn't innocent in that situation. They are also going thru a nasty custody of their son so she's going to say things to get some favor.
I can make an argument that It Was Written, Stillmatic are pretty close to Illmatic. Illmatic is still his magnus opus (I think that's right) but it's not that far above those two albums. What makes Illmatic so great for me is it came out at a very important time for East Coast hip hop. The East was in pretty bad shaped in the early 90s. Snoop, Dre, Cube, etc were killing it and the East Coast veterans Public Enemy, Run-DMC, even LL's work were getting pretty stale during that time. Also came Enter the 36 Chambers and Illmatic and a little later Ready To Die. Those three albums brought a freshness back to the East. Also Illmatic being a short album in terms of the number of tracks and every song being so good made it very special. I just listened to that album a few days ago and it still sounds so good in 2018.
Pretty much preaching to the choir here.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”