A tribute to Lana Del Rey

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

“We both know that it is not fashionable to love me”
Last Tuesday I went to a concert of Lana Del Rey in Antwerp, Belgium. More out of my way than usual for me for a concert, but Lana Del Rey hardly ever visits Europe so I didn’t let this opportunity go to waste. After a week of listening to her again and after this amazing concert I got to thinking about why I have such a strong reaction to Lana Del Rey. She is an odd one in my taste, as there are elements in her music that make her fit in well with what I usually listen to, while parts stand in direct contrast to my tastes. Why is that? I also noticed that outside the all-around beloved Video Games the critics seem to have mixed feeling about her. All this thinking and listening made me decide to write something about what to me is one of the greatest and unusual artists of our times.

I first noticed Lana Del Rey for the first time, like pretty much everybody else, through the song Video Games. It was love on first listen. This is a solid top 100 entry of which I like basically everything. It is one of the most sexy sounding songs I know, with perhaps the best seductive vocals I have ever heard. But there was more, there is melancholy in there. A sense that the relationship in the song is less than ideal. It is more clear in the music and in the vocals than in the lyrics. In concert, Del Rey confirmed my feeling that this was a conflicted love song by changing the main lyric into “Go play your stupid video games” (she loudly emphasized the “stupid” too); in other words, the guy has perhaps more of an eye for his game than for his girlfriend. So on the one hand, you have a girl singing “They say that the world was built for two/ Only worth living if somebody is loving you/ Baby, now you do”, on the other hand there is a subtext of things not being all right in paradise. As per usual with great music and other arts, a little bit of paradox never hurts the depth of a song.

Then her first album (well, there were some unofficial and unreleased albums and EP’s before, but let’s ignore those for now) Born to Die was released. It is rated better now and has some popularity on this forum, but let us not forget that it was not really well reviewed at first. In fact, I only read negative reviews at the time and a lot of the complaints were that it didn’t sound at all like Video Games in general. Stupidly, it made me decide not to listen to Born to Die. I stuck to Video Games.

When two years later Ultraviolence was released I heard West Coast on the radio and had to admit that once again she made a great song. That song was my summer of 2014. The reviews of Ultraviolence were more positive but still rather mixed. It seems like critics didn’t know what to make of it. This time I ignored the critics. West Coast was so strong that I wanted more and I gave Ultraviolence a chance. Lucky me. It was great. A few months later I also finally tried Born to Die, which at first I only liked on certain tracks. I was disappointed with the hip-hop influences on much of it. Over the years though, I’ve come to love each track. The hip-hop elements now make it stand out to her other albums, although her latest, Lust for Life, brought them back.

Ultraviolence eventually was vindicated somewhat by the end of the year, when it landed on quite a few End-of-year lists. It struck a chord with at least a part of the musical community, although to this day she has some very strong and vocal naysayers. Still, the hype surrounding Ultraviolence didn’t carry over to next year’s Honeymoon. This album came and went very fast, although the song High on the Beach had some limited radio play (rare for Del Rey outside of Video Games). This very forum, which embraced Ultraviolence, didn’t speak a word of Honeymoon and critics didn’t waste much words on it. Undeserved as I found out, as it is beautiful. Go listen to it, if you haven’t.

Then two years later came Lust for Life, probably her most openly appreciated album yet – and the only one I don’t consider a masterpiece, although there are a lot of amazing songs on there. Lust for Life actually cracked our MegaCritic top 100 of the year, a first for Del Rey. I think there are a couple of songs there that just don’t add much to what we already have, but a lot of the songs still don’t let themselves be ignored, especially the stunning first four.

So these are the four albums. There are also some singles for other projects, many collaborations and the Paradise EP. She is very prolific. Still, I thought that for most people she would still be the one hit wonder from Video Games. When I told people I would go to her concert they mostly didn’t know who she was. I was wondering how she got a huge venue like Sportpaleis in Antwerp to book her, with no less than Cat Power as an opening act. Then I looked at how much she was listened to at Spotify. Turns out her numbers there are huge, on par with many popular contemporary pop acts. Video Games isn’t even her most played song there. I don’t know who those people are who listen to Lana Del Rey en masse, but I give them credit. Del Rey herself does too: during the concert she thanked people for listening to and buying her records despite a lack of radio play and promotion.

In some ways, Lana Del Rey feels like a hidden gem that somehow got uncovered by just the right people to make her into a success. As said, I was wondering about her special appeal, which explains her faithful fans, but also her critics.

Let’s start with the critics. I feel that a lot of them just don’t know what to make of her. She seems like she belongs into pop, but she isn’t really pop. Art pop maybe? The masses don’t hate her, but she doesn’t speak to them in the same way Katy Perry or Taylor Swift do. But she has some of the same themes as them. Listening to Lana Del Rey you hear tales of love, heartbreak and lots of extremely beautiful people attending parties. Really, the lyrics of Lana Del Rey in general seem to belong to the same world as those of Miley Cyrus’ album Bangerz.

People who have read my review of Wrecking Ball know I hate Bangerz (despite liking Wrecking Ball, as the exception that proves the rule). That is one of only two albums I have heard from start to finish I would rate with a 1 out of 10. The world it sketches of people partying seems like a conscious attempt to make the listener more stupid (and no, I’m not one of those people who believes that pop music is an actual conspiracy to keep the masses dumb; although Bangerz almost changed my mind).

Lana Del Rey is subtly different. Hers is a world that is definitely ruled by parties, sex, free love, alcohol and drugs. She also posits this world as belonging to the young and the beautiful. I still have a hard time seeing Lana Del Rey settling into midlife. It is important to stress that Lana Del Rey is very much not against this loose lifestyle. She loves the parties, the sex, the drugs, the drinks, the liaisons and all the people that she meets on the way. In fact, she goes a step further, she loves the people that treat her bad. She loves fatalism. She finds beauty in bad love. Crying makes her feel alive as much as laughing.

“I heard that you like the bad girls, honey/ Is that true?
Here we get into the strange appeal of Lana Del Rey, into what makes her so special to me. The world of parties is not my world. I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs, I can’t stand uneven relationships, I have never worshipped the young (for some reason I think I should note here that I am 2 years younger than Del Rey). Del Rey’s world is very much not mine. But I have noticed before that a great artist can draw you into his or her world no matter how far removed it seems. They put you into their mind, they let you see through their eyes and hear with their ears.

To achieve this you need both honesty and depth. Del Rey achieves this with her conflicted view of the world she inhabits. It is a world of superficial beauty, but real feelings. Like I said, she really loves her world, but it seems to make her sad and leave her empty (just a little note: I write about the view expressed through her songs as I interpret them, I can’t of course speak for Del Rey as a person). She paints a picture of melancholy as well as some of the more obvious artists like, say, Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen. Her methods are not so much poetry and lyrics, though these have their moments, but through layered melodies and above all her emotive voice.

That voice is something else. I always find it hard to capture its essence in words. It is very sexy and seductive, but damn sad. It reminds me of jazz or torch song singers (I was thinking that Honeymoon – the song - could be tailor made for Billie Holiday), but it sounds more modern. Like Amy Winehouse, the style of her voice is clearly rooted in the past, yet seems to belong very much to the present (her lyrics have the same quality by the way). In a way she is Miley Cyrus, Rihanna or Katy Perry, but as if the ghosts of Etta James, Billie Holiday or even Bessie Smith came back to possess them.

It is this that makes the Born to Die (the song) a tribute to being alive and dying at the same time. Ultraviolence (once again, the song) is a dangerously insightful look at how a violent relationship can sustain itself. Love is a tribute to the way in which modern life drives us all insane. High by the Beach is a rare song in which Lana Del Rey actually leaves a bad guy, preferring to get stoned and going nowhere (she has a special affection for underachievers). Pretty When You Cry might just be the ultimate tribute to sadness, with Summertime Sadness coming in as second. 13 Beaches is another fond reflection on failure. Then there is a song actually named Fucked My Way Up to the Top, which needs no further explanation.

I could go on. Listening to these four albums over and over again they reveal more and more emotion. I can’t stress enough how unique her perspective of La Dolce Vita is (I don’t evoke that Fellini film lightly, as it is the only thing I know that equals its vision). I think that it is her focus on “superficial” lives that keeps the critics a bit at bay. That and the fact that she doesn’t fit current feminist views. She has been criticized as being anti-feminist, because her protagonists tend to be in thrall of men and sometimes accept being mistreated by them.

This is true and I felt uncomfortable with it at first too, but the thing is, Lana Del Rey has stated that these stories are autobiographical and reflect her own taste in men. She makes no claim that she speaks for all women. This led me to think about the few women I know who have indeed remained in relationships with men who mistreated them (and I’ve seen the opposite too, with genders reversed). Whether feminists like it or not, these women exist and could use a voice. In a way, Del Rey made me understand those relationships more. Not so much intellectually as well as emotionally. She is not a feminist in a fashionable sense, but her sympathy for unfashionable women is what makes her paradoxically a feminist in her own way. Like it or not, not all women are superhuman Beyoncés. I relate to the fallible Lana Del Reys more. Her sense of fatalism and mutual destruction seems more real to me, even if it is not an ideal to strive to. I always liked film noirs more than superhero movies anyway and I wouldn’t be the first to describe Del Rey’s music as noirish.

Gender politics aside, this is already a rich oeuvre, more multifaceted than you’d guess with only a single listen. I keep uncovering gems. Until last week I hardly noticed the existence of Ride (mostly because I paid little attention to Paradise, which is a bit weak overall) and now find it rivalling Video Games as my favourite Del Rey track. Ride has an amazing melody.

I can’t say whether the interest in Del Rey will grow or dwindle in the future, but I hope I made some case for her as one of the greatest artists of these times. Below is a playlist with my 25 favourite songs by her, in no particular order:

“Let me kiss you hard in the pouring rain, like your girl’s insane”
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Re: A tribute to Lana Del Rey

Post by DaveC »

Well worth saying. There is certainly something unique about Lana Del Ray's artistic vision, and that is always a good thing. What draws me to her is the sense of sincere existential angst, few would have the courage to reveal these thoughts and feelings. I'm one of the Ultraviolence fan boys - maybe time to listen again to Honeymoon.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I haven't had time yet to read this essay with the in-depth focus it deserves, but thanks for posting it. Del Rey is a fascinating artist, one whose music takes a while to unpack - the reason, maybe, why there's usually been such a disconnect between the tepid initial reviews of her albums and their surprising strength on year-end polls.

One critic who shares your opinion, as you might be aware, is Greil Marcus, the legendary author of Mystery Train, Lipstick Traces, and 30-plus years of the brilliantly eccentric "Real Life Rock" column (currently in the Village Voice). Marcus has written at length about Del Rey, who he has called his favorite contemporary artist.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I was afraid that this Sunday would pass without a lengthy, well-developed and thoughtful thread from Rob. Thank you for not making me go cold turkey. You are an AMF legend right up there with Honorio.

And quite by coincidence, I had already listened to a Lana Del Rey playlist this morning.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

When I saw the thread title I nearly had a heart attack until I actually read it. Thank goodness.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

StevieFan13 wrote:When I saw the thread title I nearly had a heart attack until I actually read it. Thank goodness.

Same...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Harold wrote: One critic who shares your opinion, as you might be aware, is Greil Marcus, the legendary author of Mystery Train, Lipstick Traces, and 30-plus years of the brilliantly eccentric "Real Life Rock" column (currently in the Village Voice). Marcus has written at length about Del Rey, who he has called his favorite contemporary artist.
I wasn't aware of this, in fact. In contrast to my 10.000 Songs series I wrote this one with hardly any research, but based on my own thoughts and observations while listening to Del Rey. I'll check out Marcus' essays later this week.
DocBrown wrote:I was afraid that this Sunday would pass without a lengthy, well-developed and thoughtful thread from Rob. Thank you for not making me go cold turkey. You are an AMF legend right up there with Honorio.
Thanks, DocBrown! I was aware of the irony of quitting the 10.000 Songs series just two weeks ago and then writing an even longer essay rather quickly. Just don't expect them every week, but only every now and then ;)

StevieFan13 wrote:When I saw the thread title I nearly had a heart attack until I actually read it. Thank goodness.
Oh dear, I didn't think that it would look like an obituary. I still don't really want to change the title, as it fits the purpose.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Wonderful thread, Rob!!! A thoughtful but passionate essay!! Time for a vindication for a true artist that received unfair backlash. No time for new comments so I will copy and paste the comments I wrote for "Ultraviolence" on the MAA6 game in 2015, including some quotes. I absolutely loved the album then (I still do) and was intrigued about the backlash she used to receive.

"Where (…) "Born to Die" tried on different moods and looked at her character from a few angles, "Ultraviolence" finds one feeling—a seedy, desperate, hyper-romanticized sense of isolation and loss—and blows it up to drive-in screen proportions, saturating the color riding the blue crest of sadness for the better part of an hour" (Mark Richardson for Pitchfork). I can guess some of the reasons but I don't fully understand the criticism and backlash Lana del Rey has to face (it's surprising to me to see her at the top of this particular list), also in this Forum. Maybe it's the old debate between authenticity and artificiousness, like if almost every "authentic" artist is not perfectly aware of his public image and uses to increase his legend (I'm thinking for instance of a 70s Lou Reed simulating a heroin injection on stage). I admit the only thing from her I have listened before MAA6 was her "Video Games" and I came to "Ultraviolence" with fresh ears only to find an album with a unique sound and superb production and songwriting (the former thanks to Dan Auerbach but the latter to Lana). Not always mainstream and originality are antagonistic concepts. Let me add a final quote: "Del Rey's loudest detractors criticized her music as a hollow, cliché-ridden product designed by the music industry and lacking the type of substance that makes real pop stars pop. Ultraviolence asserts that as a songwriter, she has complete control of her craft, deciding on songs far less flashy or immediate but still uniquely captivating" (Fred Thomas for AMG). Don't be a "Sad Girl," Lana, you know, this is a "Cruel World." I'll vote for you…

And thank you very much, DocBrown!!
LiamEvans210
Superunknown

Post by LiamEvans210 »

I dig her voice a lot . I liked the first album and thought Ultraviolence was even better. Never heard much of her latest album though.
ringtones free: https://ringtonesfree.info/
best ringtone: https://ringtonesfree.info/best-ringtones/
Last edited by LiamEvans210 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

I agree with alot of your views on Lana. Especially with an alternative side on feminism and giving the listener her world and her perception in the music. It's true because listening to songs from each of her albums, Lizzy Grant, Born To Die, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon, it has her signature sound to it. Even only 4 months after Born To Die was released in 2012, she written "Ghetto Baby" for Cheryl Cole, listeners and critics instantly hear it as Lana Del Rey song and not Cheryl Cole. That means Lana had a signature sound.
I'm no feminist but I agree with Family Guy's Lois Griffin's statement "Feminsim is about choices, I choose to be a house wife, I choose to be a mother and now I'm choosing to end this conversation".

I respect and never had any problems with Lana's honesty in her bad relationships, love for older men, sugar daddy, drug consumption, search for people she belongs with, expensive glamour or interest to remain heartbroken - I thought she brought a story with passion for the music with a motive. I thought it was a bit hypocritical of critics to bash her for it when some of these themes could be found in other music, like Hip Hop, Rock N Roll, Trip Hop and R&B and met with praises.

Back in 2011, when I first encounter Lana, it was "Video Games" during October in 2011 at #6 during the midweek of the UK Top 40 chart and eventually landed at #9. It was quite an unusual song to sample for 30 seconds especially with the harp in the chart filled with electro house and electronic R&B. It wasn't too unusual because there has been successful ballads in the chart that year like "Someone Like You" and "Jar Of Hearts" and it wouldn't be surprising if people dubbed "Video Games" as a ballad but it did have a natural vintage voice that didn't sound like just a throwback. When I gave the song as listen, "Video Games" had two of the same video, one with her normal Lana Del Rey account I believe released in June (the one was going viral) and the second (the 300M+ we have now) for Vevo. I loved the song because it was gorgeous and a hypnotizing progression, I wasn't expecting that small bass beat after the military drum after the second chorus. "Video Games" and "Fear + Loathing" (Marina & The Diamonds) became my favourite honest sad songs that year.

Now, believe or not, I think "Video Games" is one of Lana's happy song in comparison to future release. Whether it sounds like she's being ignored or annoyed, she's living the enjoyment with another partner rather than being paranoid of being left behind or tortured like "Dark Paradise", "Shades Of Cool", "Pretty When You Cry" or being an unconvincing mess like "Cruel World" or torturing herself like "Ride" or "Terrence Loves You". The song "Honeymoon" is starting to sound a proper sequel to "Video Games" with "Norman Fucking Fuckwell" being the next follow up. She expresses disappointment with her lover but knows she still finds enjoyment with him. Lana developes a tougher character in each of these sequel, first she's a pushover, second she's aware and the third, she's taunting.

As for the audience didn't know what to think of Lana, "Video Games" is one of the songs that also had a very unusual chart performance for a song that didn't peak in its debut position in the UK. Normally when that happens to a new release song especially from a new artist or the artists' first song in the chart, it normally falls and continues to fall out of the Top 40 quite quickly. "Video Games" falls and rise, continues to falls and then continues to rise and then fall and rise again and then fall with the help of her not so great controversial SNL performance, release of "Born To Die" song and eventually the album. It spent a staggering 22 weeks in the Top 40 whilst "Born To Die" only lasted 8 weeks. 22 weeks in the Top 40 was a comparable performance to massive Top 5 hits like Avicii's "Levels", Rihanna's "We Found Love" and Coldplay's "Paradise". I thought it was only going to last 10 weeks.

After listening to "Video Games", I encountered "Blue Jeans", "Kinda Outta Luck", "Lolita" and "You Can Be The Boss", they had that homemade Lana video with random clips. I enjoyed them but the production sound had nearly nothing in common with how "Video Games" sounded other than the music video. Those song has Lana's high helium voice with a bit of ghetto and fun western touch. Later on, I listened to "Off To The Races", "Diet Mountain Dew (Demo)" and "Put Me In A Movie". I had mixed feelings and was not sure what kind of artist I was listening to. When Born To Die album was release, I thought it just decent. I liked a lot of the lavish songs "National Anthem", "Radio", "Million Dollar Man" and "Without You" but didn't enjoy how overdramatic "Dark Paradise" and "Summertime Sadness" was. Around 2018, that was when Born To Die sounded fresh and I enjoyed the album more than I did before. I still don't enjoy "Dark Paradise" and "Summetime Sadness" but I love "Off To The Races" more than I ever could back then. After listening Norman Fucking Rockwell, I realise I missed and preferred Lana's high baby-like voice in her Lizzy Grant and Born To Die era. It was more versatile than the voice we were getting with Honeymoon, Lust For Life and Norman Fucking Rockwell. I believed she ditched the high voice cause she felt she wasn't being taken seriously.
Last edited by Cicice on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Lastly, whilst going through my list of songs for the 2011 I encountered something quite interesting. Whilst critics and listeners celebrated the success of Born To Die's dominating the electropop chart and cult status appeal, they also praised how fresh the production Born To Die was, retrospectively. There was a 2011 song I encountered again that I thought the trip hop production from Born To Die was comparable to. That song was "Finish Line" by Yasmin produced with Labrinth. "Finish Line" premier before any song from songs from Born To Die in March and was only a moderate in the UK, charting at #13 in the summer. "Finish Line" had a metallic trip hop beat and a use of strings (violin). You may wonder how is "Finish Line" comparable to Born To Die aside from its beat. Think about it, aside from two different voices and different style of strings and "Finish Line" using a melancholic synth instead of a western David Lynch guitar, the song uses a trip hop beat, strings, language with an urban touch ("Long time and, fronting" vs "Yo I'm off to the races, paces, apple cardi chased") and a theme of a sour relationship - that's more than half of the ingredients from Born To Die. The "Finish Line" video also has a mix of glamour and destruction except Lana's Video and songs are darker. "Finish Line" was under a Ministry Of Sound label and spent 4 weeks in the Top 40 and landed compilations like "Now What's I Call Music 79" and Ministry Of Sound compilation (Chilled Afterhours and R&B Anthems), so it gave listeners a taste of the sound which I thought Born To Die sounded like and not pop act from Lady GaGa, Katy Perry and Rihanna. I'd be interested if anyone could let me know if they think the production from "Finish Line" sounded like some of the songs from "Born To Die" (Born To Die, Dark Paradise, Blue Jeans, This Is What Makes Us Girl" etc).
digitiser
Strange Fruit

Post by digitiser »

Well, I am glad that you brought this thread back to life as Rob's essay on Lana is really well-written and spot on for 2023. Lana is nearly 40 and her music has evolved some, but his points are still accurate! I've given DYKTTTUOB (?) a few listens and haven't really enjoyed it as much of some her past releases but thanks for reminding me that by the end of the year it will probably be up at the top of my list for the year.
Cicice
Let's Get It On

Post by Cicice »

Oh I know it was well written because Rob has put a lot of thoughts into his essay and it made me look back on my experience with encountering Lana back in late 2011 back when she 26 and it's scary knowing that it is coming to 12 years, as you say she'll nearly entering her 40s. Doing list for best songs in 2011 also helped. I still stand firm with my "Finish Line" comparison.

Born To Die took me 6 years to fully enjoy as whole, whilst I already enjoyed Lust For Life, it took 5 years into this year for me to enjoy the last 3 songs. As for Norman Fucking Rockwell, that album took 4 years into February this year. Norman was a special case, what made me enjoy the album was a selected location. I only enjoyed about half the amount of songs from Norman and on February, I decide to listen Norman Fucking Rockwell and going to the park alone, past midnight. I think I've been to the park and felt I haven't played in the park for over a decade. The Norman album(or any Lana album) has this sound of "days go by nostalgia" to it and it linked with how happy I was to back and play in the park again - and alone to absorb the feeling without distractions. Had I have not went to the park with Norman, I would have just enjoyed half of the album and find the album strong but underwhelming.

I enjoyed her past albums except Born To Die but including Lizzy Grant very easily but Norman feels like the first sign I had an issue getting into a Lana album and sadly that pattern has continued for me with Chemtrails Over The Country Club and Blue Banisters. Blue Banisters I thought was a possible winner until then the piano songs made its return. Chemtrails I enjoyed on the first two listens but after that, the album became less enjoyable with further listens and suddenly felt like an average album to me. I'm not sure when I'll give Did You Know There A Tunnel Under Ocean Bulevard? (hate the title) a listen but I'm not too keen with the first three released songs at the moment.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”