Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic thread

nicolas

Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic thread

Post by nicolas »

Hi,

I used to post a thread like this every year in the old forum and I realized I haven't since the new one is running.

Even if you've done so before (and feel like doing it again) please tell us a little more about yourself, I mean not just whether you have heard the Frank Ocean or The Swans album, or if you prefer Manowar (or Shakira) to Radiohead (as I’m sure you all do), or what’s your 54th favourite record of 1987..

For example : your age (or DOB), country/town of residence (and/or of origin), occupation, hobbies, if you play an instrument, where and what you studied, if you’re married, have grand grand children, etc…

A good idea would be to make a sort of book/directory of AMers , but I don’t know how. Or maybe to make a sticky thread that stays above the rest, so that newcomers can introduce themselves more easily.

Thanks in advance for your comments !
nicolas

Re: Who's who in Acclaimed Music Forums : the demographic th

Post by nicolas »

Let me start to show the exemple (like a good teacher-to-be)

I'm Nicolas, 42 (born in 1970), French national. I live in the Paris area, am married, 2 kids (a girl of 8 and a boy of 5). I'm into the process of radically changing my professional life. I used to be a writer and editor (I had majored in Political Science), now I'm gonna be a school teacher for kids (3 to 10). You've gotta pass an exam to become a public teacher in France, so I'm going to university again until May, wher I will pass the final exam (I've already passed the first part) and I'll have a teacher position in september if I succeed. It's cool to be a student again (especially in teacher school where you have 90% of girls :)

I'm a huge fan of music, not only rock but all styles in general with a slight preference for rootsy material and oldies. I was bred on french chanson, then I listened to a lot of classic rock in the 90s, a lot of blues and country in the 00s and a lot of world music in tne 10s. I still have to explore classical music, and this site helped me get into indie rock, a style I'm not totally comfortable with but not so reluctant to now. I also occasionnaly sing and play the guitar.

Apart from that I'm found of books (all styles, litterature, crime, fantasy and SF), of football (favorite clubs : PSG, Barça and Arsenal), movies, geopolitics, Africa (Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina), and teaching of course. I've travelled a lot but now that I have kids it is more difficult.

I've come to know this site in 2007, by chance. Since then i've been a regular, have known and even met great people (I've met Honorio, Henrik and Greg and I'll probably meet Dan next summer).
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm Nick, 21 years old, living in the great state of New York. I live with my parents when I'm not away at school, and I'm in my senior year of college studying the wonderful world of architecture. I thankfully have no children. I like to read and I usually read a couple books every month, I paint although I'm not great at it, and I have no musical talent whatsoever. On the weekends I can usually be found in a friend's apartment drinking jack and cokes. When I graduate this year I'm going to try to find a job in my area and after a couple years of that head off to grad school.

I've been using this site since about 2006, though I didn't start posting until about 2009.
Mattceinicram
Different Class
Location: Indiana when home. Minneapolis, Minnesota during college

Post by Mattceinicram »

I'm Matt. I'm 19 and I live in Indiana. However I am going to college in Minneapolis, Minnesota right now. I play guitar, and I have a CD and vinyl buying addiction! I am a music major right now in my first year of college. I also really like movies and books.
Check out my music review blog! Matt and Music! mattandmusic.blogspot.com
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

I'm Domingo, 27 years of age. I live in The Hague, in The Netherlands. I'm happily living together with my girlfriend. In 2011 I finished studying, I graduated in political history. Besides music, my interests are literature, film, traveling, current affairs, science and sports (especially football, tennis and squash). Unfortunately, I'm about as musical as your one-year-old nephew. My musical taste is not incredibly different from a lot of AM'ers, but I tend to like jazz and especially electronic music more than most of them. The different tastes here is one of the things I like about AMF.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

I'm Marc, 47, live in Antwerp, Belgium. I'm of German descent, my father came from Hamburg, my mother is Dutch from Rotterdam. I'm living together (not married) with my wife, who was born in Kinshasa, Zaire , and with my 3 kids, 2 girls of 12 and 6, and a boy of 4.
I'm an industrial engineer and I work as an IT consultant at a bank in Brussels. I also have an economics degree and I use that to follow the financial markets when I'm not working. I also read the occasional book on economics.
I like all kinds of music, I've got a classical and jazz collection, I like dub reggae, electronic music, ambient techno and "world music", as well as mainstream pop & rock.
I also read science fiction novels (I share this interest with my wife) and classical literature.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

My name is Chris, I live near Boston. I'm 29, I work as a software engineer for a healthcare software company.

I like music, movies, video games, basketball, tennis (playing), American football (watching), and I draw a webcomic which I've drawn for a while but am about to end.

Musically I'm most into classic rock, alternative/indie and electronic, but I'm open to anything.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

I always overreact and write too much; It's okay if one feel like not reading at all! :D

Well, my real names is Hyego. I'm a 19 years old brazilian boy who lives in the smallest state in the union. I was brought up in a family that was born out of Brazil's arid regions of northeast, known as sertão, and they are very religious people that came to the city I live four generations ago. My two parents are very religious and my life has always been characterized by the conflict of my ever-shaping beliefs and the religion that I was brought up to. During most of my childhood I was surrounded only by my cousins and people from my church and I also didn't have many friends. My parents were always very ignorant of the importance of a second language, so around this time I started to taught myself english watching american movies and sitcoms. Although I have a grand appreciation of the female form in arts, things start falling apart when I completed 9 years old and realised that I had attraction for men. This created an instant conflict between the things that had been taught to me and what I really was. I started to get attached to music when I was 12, but I didn't have the best of starts embracing contemporary mainstream top 40 music, especially teen pop influenced backed by female vocals. When I was 13 years old I found out that Liz Phair, a pop singer whose 2003 album i was digging, had a past and somehow critics - who used to disagree often with my tastes - raved about her music. Exile in Guyville, my #1 album on the recent 90s Poll, deconstructed my own beliefs while showing how some people outside my sphere behaved when it came to love, sex and religion. Successive albums from the likes of Björk, PJ Harvey, Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, Kate Bush and Tori Amos further helped me to start building my own personality and fully embracing myself. When I was 15, in 2008, I found out about Acclaimed Music and I also started to dig, because of this very same website and forum, male vocalists - something I never thought of enjoying before. I also started to expand my musical tastes to unimaginable genres and artists. In 2009, I decided to join the forum because of some reasons:

1. People really understood about what they were talking about you, they were also very opined, but at the same time incredibly educated towards another use;
2. I was shocked to find out that existed people willing to use internet and discuss about arts without fighting, disrespecting or arrogance;
3. People that used to surround me were starting to listen more and more to the more well-known indie artists -- I even contributed turning my friends onto them in school -- but there were none quite like people here: polite, knowledgeable and best of all kind-hearted in responses, to the point and honest.
4. I used to dig nj's jokes!

In 2010, I finally got into college and started to study International Affairs in a local university. I was a member of a study group of African studies and developed a short-term research about possible connections among the recent world crisis and revolts that swept the international scenario. Everything about people from college only made me appreciate Acclaimed Music even more, for the ones I met basically didn't understand as much about plenty of subjects as many here but were incredible arrogant and even competitive when the subject was art or politics. Last year, I had the opportunity to achieve an objective of mine which was to go to Europe spend a year studying Political Science in Lyon -- I even taught myself french during a year. Unfortunately, I was hit by a teacher's strike in Brazil earlier last year and this made me put my present and future in a different light. I started to feel more inert and with less passion to listen to records, to dedicate myself to arts and to pursuit my biggest ambition that was always become a Diplomat -- I even gave up on it for a short span of time. Now it's 2013, I decided to go back to school and try another exam to college, focusing on institutions out of my hometown and northeast; I want to live in a bigger brazilian centre -- I've been focusing on Rio, São Paulo and Brasilia -- with more opportunities to fully form myself, new exciting things that I don't even know that will take part in my life as of today and especially to start to struggle to achieve my ambitions and independence -- I'm talking about even watering tables and jobs at the mall until I find a Law School/International Relations internship and a subsequent job. I want to be a diplomat once again and I'm going for it - here in Brazil you have to pass on a five-phases exam to go to a Diplomat's school and become one. My earlier inner conflicts and my love for music paved the way to other forms of art like literature and plastic arts like Impressionism, and also -- later on -- to philosophy and sociology. I'm currently reading Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time, William Blake's poetry and Henri Bergson's first work about states of conscience. I also enjoy beat writers like Ginsberg, Kerouac and Burroughs; Continental Europe literature like Arthur Rimbaud; European and american literature in general like James Joyce and George Orwell or Fitzgerald and Saul Bellow; In philosophy and political science, I spent the last couple of years reading the likes of Nietzsche and Foucault along with books of political science and current affairs; Right now I'm expecting works by Bruno Latour and Martin Heidegger to arrive. Recently I've been digging more electronic music, jazz and classical musicians. I really enjoy folk music and I believe lyrics are really important to popular music. Acclaimed Music opened my eyes to world music and I've been not only experimenting a reconnection with the music from my country -- gotta love Tom Zé!!! -- but falling head over heels over francophone music after a long year without playing it -- Fontaine, Gainsbourg, Hardy, Brel, Ferré, Dutronc, Brassens and Ribeiro. I really hope I can participate of an AM World Cup in the near future and I also enjoyed the presentations of the recent polls results by both Nicolas and Dan. Speaking of world, I also enjoy world cinema a lot, although two of my current favorite directors are David Lynch and John Cassevetes! I also want to start writing again soon -- maybe after this college thing is done -- and one day I hope I have strong material to publish it. This place has, along with works by artists, indirectly taught me that there's always something going on, there's always the possibility of changing, of growing, of starting over, of expanding knowledge and finding out new things. Although I don't have contact with many outside of it, I really enjoy waking up and checking the forum out first thing in the morning and read the posts of the dear acquaintances I made here. I hope new members enjoy the environment, are embraced by it and that art keep expand their horizons, continually fully developing their life views or, at the very least, providing them pleasure and entertainment.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Wow! Thanks Hyego! That was a great introduction. I didn't know you were in France last year. It seems you had a great time. Keep on being curious and good luck with your diplomat studies. Travaille ton Français! !
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

nicolas wrote:Wow! Thanks Hyego! That was a great introduction. I didn't know you were in France last year. It seems you had a great time. Keep on being curious and good luck with your diplomat studies. Travaille ton Français! !
:D Merci beaucoup, nicolas! But I wasn't on France last year -- I wish! My plans were frustrated and delayed for months because of the Teacher's strike and I ended up not taking the academic exchange later on since I wanted to try another college instead. But I really hope I may go there someday! My friends are fascinated by America since Friends and co., but I've always had the longing of studying in Europe in some moment of my life. I really hope my diplomat studies pay off and I actually have the opportunity to work in diverse places from the Middle East to Western Europe, from Southeast Asia to Africa, from America to even in Brazil and Latin America itself - diplomacy is something I was always wanted to do along with writing! Good luck with your exams in France to become a teacher, too. I think is one of the most fascinating professions that one can have, although, unfortunately, is not very valorized here in Brazil in general. I think of teachers the same way I think of poets, writers, true artists that master a form and find pleasure in giving. If one day my studies allow me to turn into a decent academician, I'll join the large group of people that find pleasure in giving in this particular way -- though I really focus on other objectives for now. :mrgreen:
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm Listyguy, a 16 (soon to be 17) year old high school student who lives in the USA (New York state specifically). As you might have gathered, I'm an avid music fan who not only listens but plays guitar in a band. I first heard about AM when reading a Wikipedia article on the Beatles' "Rain", and this site's rank was listed under honors the song had received. That was about four years ago. About 3 years ago I learned about the forum itself and have been coming here regularly ever since. I am a track runner and a fan of baseball and american football (both of which I play on occasion but suck at, unless I'm the running back :lol:).

As for books, I've read some good ones such as 1984, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Animal Farm. I am currently reading East of Eden independently and The Great Gatsby for school. I'm on the first page of both :whistle: .
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Hi all,

I'm (another) Chris. 26 years old, live in the USA (North Carolina). I currently work at a university music library while I finish my graduate degree to become a professional librarian. I studied music and philosophy in college, but nearly all my studies were devoted to classical music. I listened to pretty much only classical music from the age of 13 to the age of 21 or so. A combination of Kraftwerk and Sgt. Pepper's led me to start exploring "popular" music and realizing how much good stuff there was and how much catching up I had to do. I found the AM list soon afterward, which has been very helpful in filling in the holes in my musical knowledge.

I live with my girlfriend who likes the Smiths more than I do. I keep trying to get her hooked on Kraftwerk, but so far no luck...
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Great thread... thought I would share.

I am Rick, 40 years old and live outside of Milwaukee. I work as a freight broker which does not utilize either of my degrees in History or Education. Single, no kids (Wheeeewww!!!). I came across this forum in 2007 doing some extensive music research for which I still have not completed and hope to sometime before the end of 2013. Which I will share my findings with the forum upon completion. I normally do not get involved with forums like this, but really came to enjoy a number of the polls, games and discussions that take place here. It has been a joy and I look forward to taking part in more in the future.

By the way... isn't a girlfriend who like The Smiths a requirement??? I am also surprised to find out Listyguy is only 16!!!
guigs2910
Strange Fruit

Post by guigs2910 »

Hi, my name is Guilherme, I'm 20 years old and I'm from Brazil (Rio), and I often visit the acclaimed music website for at least 3 years, I'm not sure if longer, but just discovered the forums last october and started reading and seeing how nice the threads and its participants were. So, in december I decided to start my own account and participate! Right now I'm in the middle of Accounting college, hoping to finish it soon! I'm in a relationship and I love to travel, read and watch any type of series on TV. Also enjoy movies a lot, they finish in 2nd place in my favorite art forms, just losing to music! Ever since I was a child I'm completely obsessed with it! The different kinds of rhythm, the intruments, the voices, the harmonies... I'm that type of guy that gets really upset if he hasn't heard something, it's very compulsive! My favorite types of music are rock (old, hard, indie, grunge, like of the styles), country and pop, but I listen to a lot of world music and jazz as well. Hope I can continue enjoying this forum as much as I am right now and using it to further develop my knowledge of music! That's it!
Immerse your soul in love. No matter how it ends, no matter how it starts.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

I'm glad I don't have a girlfriend who loves the Smiths!! In France girls tend to prefer French songs. My wife loves Bjork but she admits that since we live together she never puts anything on.
Miguel
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Miguel »

My name is Miguel. I'm 42 (I was born a few days after our friend Nicolas), I'm married and I have a three year old daughter. I was born in a small village on the coast of Asturias, a region in northern Spain. From the age of 16, I've lived in Oviedo, the main city of the region (during two years, I lived in Madrid for professional reasons). I work as a civil servant in an agency of the Spanish Ministry of Environment. Besides music, my hobbies are cinema, literature and comics.

I think it was in 2007 when I started visiting acclaimedmusic. A year ago I was lucky to meet Honorio, a great guy (something that Henrik and Nicolas know very well).
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

My real name is Romain (surprise!), French, 36, married with a delicious woman.
I live near Lyon in the Isère county.

My love of music is old but my love of rock/pop is more recent. For years, French songs and Classical music are the only music I listen. In 2001, with the discovery of Zyggy Stardust, I put a foot in the incredible world of pop music and internet give me the possibilities to find anything I want.

This forum is a "Oxygen bubble" in the world of the forums with his cordiality and the intelligence of the contibutors. :)

Favorites artists : Prince, Bowie, Gainsbourg, Brassens and The Beatles.
Favorites classical artists : Beethoven, Ravel, Schubert, Malher, Russian composers in general.

My biggest problem is my inability to write correctly English. So that I can rarely comment the polls and participate and this is really annoying. :(
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Bump!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

To no surprise, my name is Jamie, and I live in Michigan (the United States). I’m 42 (born New Year’s Day), and married, with 2 children (a daughter, who’s 5, and a 3 year old son who was born 15 weeks premature). While growing up, I became a huge Elvis Presley fan, since he was pretty much the only artist my mom listened to. In the 80s, I really started digging into music, with my favorite artists being The Cure, New Order, Prince, and Madonna. Over the years, my musical tastes have continued to expand. As it stands, I like every era and genre of music (with the exception of modern Country) and cannot think of any artist of whom I don’t enjoy at least a few songs. This month, I actually quit my job of 11 years to complete my degree and internship in Health Information Management. I’m a huge sports fan, and have been writing since I was 4. I’ve completed 3 novels (only one, of which, I made any effort to get published), and hope to return to writing once I complete my degree. This is a great idea, Nicolas—and it’s a pleasure to get to know everyone a little better!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Stephan, 24, living with my girlfriend in Groningen, in the Netherlands. I'm about to finish my MBA with a specialization in strategy and innovation management, so in a couple of weeks I'll have to find a job. Not looking forward to that in this economy, but on the plus side, once I do find one I'll be able to buy tons of albums. My hobbies are mostly entertainment related; I love watching films and television series, playing (and watching) video games, and of course listening to music. My musical abilities leave much to be desired, although I'm told my one-man ukulele/harmonica act is very entertaining.

None of my friends from the Netherlands have much interest in discussing music, and the only person I know (outside of these forums) who's as crazy about music as I am lives in the States and due to our busy schedules we're only able to Skype once every fortnight or so. This forum has always been a great place to fill that void and I feel like the people who've been here a while have actually become friends of sorts, which is rare indeed. I find myself saying to people: "Oh, a friend of mine loves this artist" only to realize when they ask who I'm talking about, that it's one of you guys.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

slick wrote: By the way... isn't a girlfriend who like The Smiths a requirement??? I am also surprised to find out Listyguy is only 16!!!
I feel like a girlfriend who likes the Smiths has a much higher chance of being depressed. :lol:
And yes, I am 16. The topic came up a while back, but I guess you weren't around here yet.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I'm a 20-year-old college senior attending the University of Georgia in Athens, GA. I'm graduating in May with a degree in finance and will be moving to New York City to work in the investment banking industry. Somehow between the 90-hour work weeks I'll try to find time to satisfy my music addition. At least there will be many more available concerts and music festivals--I find that even though Athens/Atlanta is a decent music hub, a lot of my favorite artists seem to avoid this area on their tours (or they come before I know about them--I could have seen Faust and Built to Spill live my freshman year).

I think I've been active on these forums for about four years now, or since I was a high school senior. I first really started getting interested in music through video games such as Rock Band and Guitar Hero, which got me into classic rock and metal (my first favorite band was Black Sabbath). Somehow that transitioned into critically acclaimed music through discovering this site and Rate Your Music, and since that point I've been on the never-ending quest to listen to everything :) I rarely talk about music with my friends in real life though, as I don't want to be the guy always hyping bands no one else has ever heard of.

I would still say my main passion is sports, and I am a big of a nerd about advanced sports statistics as I am about music. When I was younger I played football, was on the wrestling team, and up until recently also did competitive powerlifting.
Rodneyontheblock
Strange Fruit

Post by Rodneyontheblock »

My name is Tim,30,from East LA (our unofficial theme song is Look Out Weekend). And yes Morrissey is a God over here. Celebrating my 10th year on this site. Besides this site I learned everything I know about music from my idol Rodney Bingenheimer on KROQ. Yes I've had dinner with him at Canters while interviewing him. I work in radio promotions as a music reviewer for unsigned bands. I am big into Shoegaze but MBV wouldn't even make my top 10 as far as my 10 favorite Shoegaze bands. And no I'm not one of those hipsters who says pricky things like "I liked Lush, Boo Radleys, the Verve back when they were Shoegaze." I love Britpop too and think all these bands made tremendous contributions to music even when they decided to go a different way and the same thing goes for the Catherine Wheel and Curve. They moved on and progressed like you're supposed do to keep your sound fresh. I feel the Cocteau Twins don't get enough credit for INVENTING this gorgeous genre. In fact they invented two genres all be it one is a hybrid of another. Maybe it's because a WOMEN had such a great part in starting it all. You're welcome MBV, you credit jacker;)You too JAMC. Give credit where credit is due. Speaking of women I absolutely lovED British female musicians until mid 2000s, maybe 07 when some thick accented wannabe soul singer thought she could be a breakout superstar and now every Brit girl and their dog wants to be the next big Brit soul diva. Sorry girls you're not Dusty Springfield, you're not Kate Bush, stop trying to be either and/or both of them.

I'm also happy that 2013 is here because we get to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of one of my favorite years, the twee/indie pop friendly 2003. Twee jumped the shark when it literally went commercial. Thank you Target, Gap and every other car commercial out there. Such an underrated year for both music lovers and critics. I too really enjoyed s/t by Liz Phair and really started to loath critics and indie hipsters for calling it a glorified Avril Lavigne. You want to go there, I will layeth the smack down on your precious Tom Waits, Joanna Newsom and Pavement. Still my favorite Liz Phair album is the ridiculously underrated Whitechocolatespaceegg.

Fun fact: the song Evergreen by Barbers Striesand literally woke my cousin out of a coma ... and Pavement put him back into one. Just kidding;)(not about the Babs song)

FF#2 During jury duty I accidentally wandered into the wrong trial. D'oh! The case: the murder trial of a Mr. Phil Spector:)
Craig
Wannabe

Post by Craig »

Hi, I'm Craig. I'm 38 and live in Newcastle, Australia (just north of Sydney). I am Married with 3 Kids, one girl who is four and is my boss, and 2 boys 8 and 10. I spent most of my youth achieving very little and and working many jobs from a children's entertainer to selling computers. When the kids came along I realized that it was time to settle down so I went to University and completed a Commerce degree and I am now an accountant. I Love Football (Liverpool and my local Newcastle Jets) and enjoy good movies and books. All through this my love of music has never changed. I mostly enjoy indie/alternative rock or pop but, thanks to this forum, I have broadened my listening tastes. My first love of music started with the Beatles (I am sure I am not alone there) and now, depending on my mood, I love to listen to Radiohead, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, the Smiths, The Cure....... Ok so all the predictable classics. I have an addiction for finding something new, something different. you know, like the first time you heard the Pixies or Ok Computer or even outside my normal tastes like Janelle Monae or Frank Ocean. I have always believed that no matter what the genre is, if it is good enough I will like it.
I have been reading the AM Forum posts for over a year but I have only recently posted for the first time with the annual songs and album polls. I plan to be more involved this year.
Thanks Nicolas for doing this too. It really makes a difference when you can get a bit of an idea about a person when they are already part of your life!
Cheers
slick
Movin' On Up

Post by slick »

Listyguy wrote:
slick wrote: And yes, I am 16. The topic came up a while back, but I guess you weren't around here yet.

I think I was but had forgotten about it. Now that you mention it I do seem to recall. Your 60's/70's tendencies led me to believe you were older than I.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Great to see so many posts from you guys, including new comers. But we're still waiting for the some of the senior members to introduce themselves, since it's the first time we're doing this in the new forum.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Hey, I'm 18 and I live in London, though I'm currently in Oxford in my first year of studying PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics), a subject so middle-of-the-road and boring that I find it makes me quite weary. I'm bangladeshi by origin, though I was born in London and consider myself part of the cosmopolitan nature of the great city. I'm a fan of the English Premier League (fan of Arsenal F.C.!), and I've been to a few games, including the local derby of Arsenal vs Tottenham last season which finished 5-2 to Arsenal. It was AMAZING. Though of course being an Arsenal fan of late is a pretty painful experience.

In the future I hope to travel as much as possible yet work as little as possible. I speak German to a pretty good level and utterly love everything about the country, (its music, its language, its history, its capital city) that I hope to one day move there at least for some extended period of time. I'd love to be a journalist of some sort when I grow up or perhaps something in the political process (though in Britain the political process is rather boring).
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

It appears that at the age of 56 I remain the most aged contributor to the forum. I believe that I started providing feedback on the forum more than 3 years ago.

My taste in music has been grounded in listening pleasure for the most part. But, during my first 3 decades I did play the violin, guitar, bass and did a little bit of singing, and these activities have also contributed to my preferences.

As the elder statesman, despite my diligent attempts to broaden my tastes beyond the music I grew up with in the 60’s and 70’s I often find myself less enthusiastic about newer music. There are many exceptions where I have found great enjoyment in more recent releases, but these do not have nearly the presence among my favorites as they do for the many younger forum contributors.

As to other aspects of my life, I was raised in an affluent village in Westchester County NY (Ardsley). My parents, older brother and sister still live in Ardsley where some of my nephews went to middle school with Mark Zuckerberg.

I went to undergraduate school at SUNY at Stony Brook and obtained my degree in Engineering Sciences. I then made the move to Silicon Valley and earned my MS in Materials Sciences and Engineering from Stanford.

I then worked as an engineer at Lockheed for 15 years during which time I also decided to change my career and become an attorney.

After completing law school I continued to work at Lockheed as a patent attorney. I am presently working as a patent licensing manager at LSI Corporation.

I met my wonderful wife, Debbie, in 1982 and we have been very happily married since 1984. I have 25 year old daughter who is a real estate agent and a 23 year old son who has completed his undergraduate degree in Psychology and is now contemplating becoming a high school science teacher.

I very much appreciate the advanced music knowledge and appreciation of many of the forum participants and the respectful tone of the discussion. I look forward to appreciating many performers that I am presently unaware of due to the discussions in this forum.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Hi, I'm Logan from in fact Phoenix, Arizona, 34 years old. Married, currently no kids. I've got a day job working as a legal support assistant for the Maricopa County Attorney's Office. I graduated from ASU with a degree in Art History AND in English, so hopefully I can be arsed one day to start writing again. My days playing coffeehouses seem to be over, but I still occupy myself acting in a local comedy web series. I put in a lot of time listening to music for 15 years, but between all the years of loud music blasting in my car, and drowning out my co-workers with my headphones, I picked up some tinnitus a few years ago. Could be worse I suppose (I only went to about 1 concert a year), but between that & being married & going for a paralegal degree, I think my best listening days are behind me.

I always tried to listen to a bit of everything, but my preferences are classic rock, some post-punk and alternative, and '80s/90's rock & pop -- essentially stuff you find on lists + a lot of obvious mainstream stuff (see Billy Idol picture). I don't remember how I quite found this site, but I used to be quite nuts about lists, so there you go!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Most people call me Dan, but some call me Daniel or Danny. I’m usually a laid-back kind of guy, but I’m not without a few bees in my bonnet. Those who know me well appear to have slightly inconsistent opinions about me: some of them say I’m an introvert, others say I’m an extrovert; some say that I have a good sense of humour, others say I have a sense of humour. Here are some more (perhaps too many) facts about me:

I was born in South Africa 32 years ago and my parents raised my 3 sisters and me in the part of the country where apartheid was at its most extreme. As you might imagine, this was hardly a fun environment for a sensitive boy. Observing the inequality around me taught me from a young age to question things like social norms and collective opinions about what is “right” and what is “wrong”. When I finished high school I wanted to get away from it all for a bit, so I worked in a gold mine for a few months (decent income for an 18-year-old) to save enough money to go to the UK, where I lived and worked for 2 years, mostly in London. It was an eye-opening and liberating 2 years.

After that, I went back to South Africa for 3 years to do a Media degree at a university town near Cape Town. My German partner (who I’d met in London) stayed with me for parts of those 3 years. Then he and I got married in Germany and moved back to the UK. We lived in London for nearly 7 years before moving to Scotland over 2 years ago. We made the move to Scotland partly to have a change of scenery and lifestyle but mostly because of an exciting job opportunity for him (he runs a professional string orchestra here in Glasgow).

As for what I do for a living: I’m a bit of a jack of all trades. I envy people who know exactly what it is that they want to do with their lives career-wise. I don’t have that certainty, and as a result I’ve done various jobs in the entertainment, private and public sectors. At the moment I help to recruit recent university graduates to work in foreign aid for the British government. But as I’ve mentioned elsewhere in the forum before, the medium-term plan is to open a café or restaurant somewhere sunny and by the sea where there could be live music events.

Other than watching the Olympic Games every 4 years, the only sport I actively follow (and love) is tennis. At the moment it really is a golden age for men’s tennis with Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Murray having provided some spectacular matches over the past few years. I regularly attend the final Masters event at the end of the year when the top 8 players play against one another in London, and I’ve been to Wimbledon and the French Open a few times. I definitely want to attend the Australian and US Opens at some point too.

I used to watch a lot of films, and I’m planning to get back into it again after having given it a rest for a while. I don’t watch television, mostly because there are few things in life that I find as annoying, patronising and daft as advertisements/commercials. If there is a talked-about series I’ve missed that sounds interesting to me, I’ll buy the box set and watch it on DVD.

There was a time when I read a lot of Oscar Wilde, but as a whole my knowledge of fiction is inadequate. Another “project” I have planned is to start reading some classics from around the world in the near future. I prefer reading non-fiction. Occasionally I would read books about history or philosophy, but most of the time it’s popular science that interest me, particularly books about cosmology and evolutionary biology (if I have to name one theory or idea in the entire history of the world that has had the biggest impact on my thoughts, it would have to be Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution by means of natural selection).

I’ve been keeping an eye on this website since about 2004, but back then it was mostly at the end of the year to check out the year-end lists. I only started actively participating on the forum 2 or 3 years ago when I felt a need to explore music I wasn’t too familiar with at the time: pre-90s music, jazz, roots music, world music, etc. As most people have already mentioned, this forum is a great place where anyone with an interest in good contemporary music can find like-minded people; where you can expand your horizons and discuss similarities and differences in tastes without having a bitch fight. And it doesn’t surprise me that many of us consider others on the forum to be friends, despite not necessarily having met one another in person. By getting to know someone’s taste in music (and their opinions about music), I think you get closer to the core of his/her personality.
...will keep us together.
SuperFurry
Wannabe

Post by SuperFurry »

Hello. My real name is Igby Narkloven descendant of the infamous Australian bushranger Marco “Sharktooth” Narkloven. I was born sometime between 1927 and 1929 (Australian Birth Certificates weren’t widespread until the 1960s) in the mining town of Blinman. Once a prosperous business centre my birthplace has now descended into a pit of filth and despair. I am the eldest of 3 brothers and 4 sisters and we were raised by my grandparents after my parents died in a coach accident in 1935. I left my home after a fairly uneventful childhood in the summer of 1942 and headed for the great port city of Melbourne.

I boarded with my second cousin Dmitri Ablovic and his wife Marta who owned a small bakery directly opposite the old Flinders Street train station (Which by the way was burnt to the ground in 1953 and rebuilt the next year facing the wrong way). I worked as a delivery man for the bakery for six months or so and supplemented my income by busking. My instrument of choice was the didgeridoo – something I had learned as a child living in outback South Australia.

It was around 1943 when I discovered the underground jazz scene of Melbourne. Needless to say I was completely blown away by the coolest of cool hep-cats daddy-o. I switched to the sax and started sitting in with a few of the all time legends of the OzJazz scene – Mikey Hundoria, Drago Bitz, Teddy “Bear” Moonshack and Vinnie Dotswall & His Wall Of Dots to name just a few. Just as my career started to take off, I was shipped off to the Pacific to fight the Japanese in WWII. This is not a time in my life I like to relive in detail, but let’s just say that it’s not easy playing the sax with only eight fingers.

When I returned to Australia in 1953, I met my first wife Dianne at a crocodile farm near Darwin. We had 2 boys (Reg & Smiley) and lived happily in the Top End for a number of years until a tree feller named Don Vonk took a liking to Dianne and drove off with her and the boys. By now it was around 1959 and I decided to head to Kalgoorlie where my brother Rix lived. He was a painter by trade but played in a very crude rock n roll outfit called “Thee pRix”. When their drummer injured himself in a minor mining accident Rix, knowing my musical past, asked me to fill in. Once I got the hang of playing with less fingers than the usual drummer our sound began to click (even if I couldn’t!). We became quite well known in the western part of the country and even had a minor radio hit in Perth with our song “Kangarude Rock”.

In 1962 Rix and I had a falling out so we split up the band and I moved back to Melbourne. My youngest sister Ingrid and her husband Jerry helped me start up something Rix and I had been devising prior to the break-up of “Thee pRix” – ROCK N ROLL WRESTLING! The burgeoning wrestling scene of the 1950s was beginning to fade, but with the introduction of rock n roll music a whole new generation was able to experience the thrill of this amazing spectacle. I hadn’t intended to get involved in the wrestling side of things – I was loving playing drums as part of the in-house band “Spanish Flying Kick” – but as you well know, things don’t always go as planned. My stage name was “The Super Fury” and my career lasted into the early 70s. I became the man most synonymous with Australian wrestling and I am very proud that I was able to reinvigorate this wonderful spectacle of human athletic achievement.

In 1974 I fell in love with my second wife Monique. She was a towel girl for the wrestlers and was only 22 at the time. She gave me three beautiful girls (Iris, Doris & Mavis) and helped me through some very difficult times in the mid 70s when I was overcoming drug and alcohol issues. It was also around this time that I was contacted by Kerry Packer and his associates to assist in the introduction of limited overs cricket – the coloured uniforms was one of the things I helped come up with. As a thanks Kerry gave me a small share in one of his minor companies that eventually my daughters would take over and turn into a multi-million dollar investment.

In the 80s I returned to music occasionally, playing mainly benefit gigs and charity shows. It wasn’t until 1989 when I reunited with Rix and two other well known Australian musicians – Albert Malarkey (guitar) and Rosco “The Sloth” Bijou (bass) – that I returned to full time recording and touring. Our group “The Downunder Drongo Explosion” released a self titled album in 1990 which was the highest selling Australian album of the 90s until Savage Garden arrived on the scene later in the decade.

Our second album in 1995 did reasonably well but age was beginning to catch up with us. I retired from music in 2001 and have been quite happily living in a small country town that reminds me of the town I was born in. My life has been wonderful and varied with its fair share of ups and downs but now I can enjoy the company of my children and grandchildren. My twilight years will be greatly enhanced as long as I am able to keep in touch with my greatest love of all – music. Through this amazing forum at Acclaimed Music I am able to do that.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Everyone else who have argued for the epithet "eldest of the forum" can take down their hands now... :D
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Henrik wrote:Everyone else who have argued for the epithet "eldest of the forum" can take down their hands now... :D
My hand remains up for the time being as I suspect that Superfurry's bio is perhaps not completely accurate after searching many of the names he included in his wonderful effort (that appears to be inspired by The Usual Suspects), including the great musician Albert Malarkey. :music-rockon:

Now that SF has fessed up to the lark, one question that emerges is how large is the gap between eldest and second eldest. :greetings-waveyellow:
Last edited by Henry on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Henry wrote:
Henrik wrote:Everyone else who have argued for the epithet "eldest of the forum" can take down their hands now... :D
My hand remains up for the time being as I suspect that Superfurry's bio is perhaps not completely accurate after searching many of the names he included in his wonderful effort (that appears to be inspired by The Usual Suspects), including the great musician Albert Malarkey. :music-rockon:
How can a band record the second best selling australian record of the 90s and not have a mention in Wikipedia? :D

Dan: What an inspiring life story! I feel like printing it and showing to everyone who ever doubt that such a relationship could even exist! And about the people who know what they want to do for the rest of their lives; I used to think that I was one of them, but I realised how easy it is to delude yourself into believing you want something for the rest of your life, especially while this thing is miles away from you. Last week I was so sure that I was going to go back to school and go to a bigger centre; this sunday i received an email from a teacher at my University stating that he believed that I had a great shot of going to study in Lyon this year -- he only wish to keep touch with me til march, when the selection is taking place, and asked me to practice my french til then. Suddenly all my plans of going back to school were scrapped, because I wanted this before all the rest, something truly new, an experience I believe will be very rewarding in every possible human way; I also realised how much I enjoy what I study. I feel like my problem was always thinking too big, and focusing on the "major plan", which cause to me fail in seizing the great everyday opportunities one has of gaining knowledge, experience and growing as a whole. I wasn't in need of a big centre like I felt last week; I was in need of the joy I had once felt when achieving something, from starting the day going to a gym, or studying something, or listening to some record to a possible exchange -- there's nothing worse than being inert and feel like you are stuck. Anyway, the experience you took from your various jobs will surely find its way into the execution of your mid-term plan -- which hopefully will turn for the best and sunny.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Thanks very much for your post, HRS! I'll keep my fingers crossed that Lyon works out for you. It sounds like a very exciting opportunity!
HRS wrote:Dan: What an inspiring life story! I feel like printing it and showing to everyone who ever doubt that such a relationship could even exist!
I hope that such a relationship will become a reality for you too someday, if that's what you want. And I'm sure there will come a moment later in your life when you realize that the people you have surrounded yourself with are people who love you unconditionally, and that the ones who "doubt that such a relationship could even exist" have faded into the background and don't have a direct impact on your life anymore.

"Be who you are... because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
SuperFurry
Wannabe

Post by SuperFurry »

I hope you guys enjoyed my little story. I will print something 4 REAL one day soon though. :D
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Dan wrote: And I'm sure there will come a moment later in your life when you realize that the people you have surrounded yourself with are people who love you unconditionally, and that the ones who "doubt that such a relationship could even exist" have faded into the background and don't have a direct impact on your life anymore.

"Be who you are... because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss
Thank you very much! Words like these doesn't come out very often to me; it's really hard, especially when you feel like your parents are going to slaughter you in some public place when all comes out, but life is still sweet, life is always in a better place than previously, closer to fully-realised, even if at the moment is harder to discern. It would be my pleasure to not only have something like that, but a Billie Holliday soundtrack to it, too! :D

I won't even get started on the gay people I met where I live, because at the end of the day they have the right to live their lives and act towards people who don't fit, like me, the way they want it; but just knowing that somewhere in Scotland lives a couple, of different nationalities, that met in a place unlike their homes and, like every meat-and-bones couple, face their problems and remain together for so long supporting and caring for each other is a breath of fresh air; makes me hopeful, excited about the future and not frustrated for not fulfilling the stereotypes of my teenagers contemporaries who happen to share the same sexual orientation and age in my town; people that don't matter. Alas, one day at a time! :P
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

That's such a great, positive attitude. Hang in there my friend. Things will get better.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

SuperFurry wrote:I hope you guys enjoyed my little story. I will print something 4 REAL one day soon though. :D
Very amusing! To think about an 85(-ish) years old fan of "The Fat of the Land"...!

Does anyone have an old friend or relative who are into "noisy" music? I certainly don't.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

In later decades, WE will break the mold!
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

We seniors should do that differently. That would be fun if each one of us inyroduced another senior AMer
and sometimes I feel like the old friend who's not into noisy music
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

My name is Fredrik and I live in Stockholm, Sweden. I'm 45 years old and I've listened to music on a daily basis since 1982 when "1999" hit my soul. I'm a psychologist, and I've been working with talking to people and administering tests and doing diagnosticing for a few years now. I have to say that music can sometimes be a very good subject to talk about, at the right time.

I might fit within these personality traits: anxiety, social phobia, masochism and depression and to a lesser degree paranoia and narcissism. I'm never manic, schizoid, psychopathic, hysteric or obsessive-compulsive. How's that for selfdiagnosis? :) My childhood was reportedly happy. Today I believe one theme is that my mother wanted a happy baby and that any attempt from my side to express other emotional sides (including going away from her) was partly ignored. Along comes rock music, the protest, the expression of me and all that... Plan to make a "button" that says: "through with childhood" but I've learned that is almost never the case... You know all "happy" songs that I listed over the years, therapy took them away! Herbie Hancock cried when he wasn't allowed to play the piano at age two. Other artists cry their whole life. Artists that are extra interresting for me, at the psychological level, are Frank Black, Neil Young and Scott Walker. Probably Donald Fagen of Steely Dan as well.
People who listen to classic rock, mostly, are very normal imo, but that might not surprise everyone. Death metal is a good way to relieve yourself of some feelings. Music uses the inherrited ability to form expectations. David huron's book "Sweet Anticipation" has a five step model of how we react emotionally to elements in music. Google ITPRA! (Imagination-tension-prediction-reaction-appraisal). In "Beginners" Melanie Laurent has the line "people seem to be divided in two groups that are in war with each other"... the ones who expect and those who don't.

Once I tried to list chronologically my idols and influences and it might look something like this: Prince, Beatles, Bowie, Smiths, Prefab Sprout, Pixies, Steely Dan, House Of Love, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Scott Walker, Laura Nyro, Bob Dylan, Frank Zappa, Neil Young and Tom Waits and finally some jazz (the last few years). When I think closer, I've always tried to make songs jazzier in my mind or humming. If my music listening follows a path it's towards more complex music.

Today my mind is set on travelling. The steep mountains in the sea (ocean) in Thailand, beaches, New York and Los Angeles are parts of the world I'd like to explore. I watch a whole lot of films, favs include "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" plus whatever Matt Damon And Leo Dicaprio (etc) are involved in. And as you can understand from my songs list the theme to "The Usual Suspects" is held in high regard.

Currently I search for songs that would be included in a list of the 1000 best swedish songs. That includes having to go through a fair share of metal, black and death metal etc. Let's see where I land after that...

Finally I have to say that i love the age structure of this forum!
Last edited by Fred on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jade Palooka
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Jade Palooka »

Hi, I'm Jade Palooka formerly known as nj formerly known as netjade. I'm a 35 years old white internet transgender from Cologne, for the very reason that once the male predominance in here began to bore me to death, I decided to become a girl. I modelled myself after the snarky antics of my girlfriend and the hot editor chick from Visions magazine with the Mia Wallace haircut that was pretty big and hipster back in the 90s. The latter actually happened to marry some dull cunt from the mag's Metal section and went off to Las Vegas or whatever, so I thought to myself: vag geeks DO exist in real life, so why don't you give it a try? I didn't mean any harm at all. Just a token side tit on a forum that deals in useless music lists. And then the social network kicked off and I was all like "Oh crap, I ACTUALLY like most of these lazy fuckers!" And since I was one, too, I did the most pitiful thing a man could ever do. I listened to my girlfriend's advice and began to spread the truth.
I'm still on some kind of music hiatus by now. Listening to blisteringly trashy 80s stuff instead. Or Georgie Fame. Because Pop lists suck when you're a male. The End.
Last edited by Jade Palooka on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Jade Palooka wrote: I'm still on some kind of music hiatus by now. Listening to blisteringly trashy 80s stuff instead. Or Georgie Fame. Because Pop lists suck when you're a male. The End.
:music-rockon:
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Moonbeam wrote:
Jade Palooka wrote: I'm still on some kind of music hiatus by now. Listening to blisteringly trashy 80s stuff instead. Or Georgie Fame. Because Pop lists suck when you're a male. The End.
My best friend's wife says that as far as she can tell women prefer toe-tappin' music and don't generally go for the long solos, etc. I haven't seen a toe-tappin' genre yet, but perhaps if we start one, we can get some women to join the forum.

One point of clarification, is JamieW a guy?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Jade Palooka wrote:Listening to blisteringly trashy 80s stuff instead.
That was the greatest greatest 80s hit singles list by a transgender I had ever seen! :D
Are you back for real? You can still post on hiatus y'll know? That'd be jawesome!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Henry wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:
My best friend's wife says that as far as she can tell women prefer toe-tappin' music and don't generally go for the long solos, etc. I haven't seen a toe-tappin' genre yet, but perhaps if we start one, we can get some women to join the forum.

One point of clarification, is JamieW a guy?
Sorry to disappoint, because Jade Palooka is absolutely right about the lack of female representation, but I am a guy, too. In all honesty, I've never known a female personally who was into music the way I am. (But then, other than one friend, and the members of this forum, I've never known anyone who was into music the way I am.)
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

My name is John, I'm from Minnesota and am 32 years old. I haven't been as active on this board as I normally am as of late for a few different reasons, mainly because I'm a new dad, and because of that I'm not critically listening to music that much anymore. I still listen to a lot of music, but am not obsessively rating it like I used to... I'm not sure if I ever will again, but who knows :D I really enjoy participating in music discussions though, so I'll definitely join in on those when they come around, but for those who have been wondering why I'm not participating in polls anymore, it's just because I don't have the time and am not finding the joy that I used to get from rating music.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

One very good female friend of mine is intensely into music.

She's a music teacher, and she's heavily into things like classical and jazz, as well as pop music.

I think a part of what draws people to sites like this, whether we like to admit it or not, is the showing off aspect. And that, is what women tend to lack.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

The showing off aspect? ?????? What a weird individualistic view! In all honesty I really don't think so. IMO it is more the sharing aspect. Showing off? I just want to help people discover new things, to discover new things myself and I even made dear friends on the way.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”