R.I.P. Jóhann Jóhannsson

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

R.I.P. Jóhann Jóhannsson

Post by Rob »

Icelandic soundtrack composer and ambient musician Jóhann Jóhannsson died yesterday. The cause of death is undisclosed for now. He was only 48 years old.

This name might not ring a bell immediately, but his movie scores in the last couple of years are among the most acclaimed. The Theory of Everything broke him wide, but his work for Denis Villeneuve might become the most iconic. For him, he did Prisoners, Sicario and - my favorite - Arrival.

He also had non-movie related works. Some of you might remember how I added his Orphée to the Moderately Acclaimed Albums of 2016 poll. I've also seen him perform that album live, which I enjoyed a lot.

A little more information: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 48-1083619

Rest in peace. I'm listening to Orphée once again now:
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Re: R.I.P. Jóhann Jóhannsson

Post by Matski »

Completely shocking news. He seemed to be hitting a creative peak with recent works, such as Sicarrio, Arrival and Orphée and I was looking forward to hearing how his work progressed over the next few years. It was disappointing to find out that his work for Blade Runner 2049 wasn't accepted for the film. Still hope it gets released someday.

Whether or not that happens, he's left behind a respectable body of work. Thank you for all your wonderful music Jóhann.
Last edited by Matski on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

My favourite work by Jóhannsson is Fordlândia, while Arrival is one of my favourite films of recent years and the soundtrack undoubtedly contributed to that. A sad loss.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Shame. Orphee was a top 30 or so album for me, I should hear some of his other stuff.

When you hear 'A person under 60 died' your mind immediately goes to opiods.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

no. I loved his work in Sicario. RIP.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

My first introduction to his music was "Orphée" a couple of years ago (which ended up being one of my favorite albums of 2016). I will definitely need to listen to more from him. Another great artist gone far too soon...
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

So sad, he soundtracked some of the best films in recent years and I was looking forward to seeing what he'd do in the years ahead. His work on Sicario and Arrival is remarkable.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”