EOY 2017 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2017 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Post by Harold »

I know I said I was going to wait to start posting album spreadsheet updates at least until a couple of non-U.S. or UK lists were released, but I wasn't expecting there to be so many already. This initial posting contains the following lists:

USA: Consequence of Sound; Paste; Glide; Rolling Stone; Decibel
UK: Uncut; Mojo; Q; Drowned in Sound; NME; BBC 6 Music

Henrik, please pin this thread to the top of the EOY 2017 forum. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Re: EOY 2017 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Post by Future Critic »

Thanks, Harold! I always love seeing these, and I'd be shocked if any of the current top 7 fall out of the top 10. The remaining three spots seem up for grabs though, although I still think "I See You" will find its way into the top 10.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Spreadsheet re-attached - edited to remove albums not on any included lists so far. I had created rows for all of the current Mega-Critic top 100, and had forgotten to remove albums from that initial Drowned in Sound posting that have not appeared anywhere else yet. Sorry about that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Looking really good so far. I've been disappointed by lack of Run the Jewels appearances on lists so far but had forgotten it was actually a 2016 album until I found it in your spreadsheet. (December 24th) I guess it is going to fall in EOY hole like Beyonce did a few years ago. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into doing this!
Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

Thanks for making this spreadsheet :D

I hope Vince Staples, Hurray for the Riff Raff, The xx, Sheer Mag, Alt-J, Gas, Julien Baker and other artists to be in higher place when the spreadsheet is completed..
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

Thanks for this!
I'll be curious to see how long American Dream by LCD Soundsystem can hold on to that second spot. The album got a lot of great reviews but I don't think I've seen anyone this year saying it was their best record.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

SpankyRevolution wrote:Thanks for this!
I'll be curious to see how long American Dream by LCD Soundsystem can hold on to that second spot. The album got a lot of great reviews but I don't think I've seen anyone this year saying it was their best record.
About twenty minutes after you posted this, this happened:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... =21&t=6188
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

Rob wrote:
About twenty minutes after you posted this, this happened:
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... =21&t=6188
Europeans sure seem to have loved that new album haha. I've had call the police and tonite on regular rotation for a while and they have been growing on me a lot so maybe I should give the album another couple of spins.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

I don't think I've seen anyone saying DAMN is Kendrick's best album either though.
I actually think there is a better argument for american dream being LCD's best, as it is probably their most consistently good even if no song is as good as their previous peaks, while I don't see much for DAMN being better than both gkmc and tpab.
Still, for those reasons, I'd be more comfortable with Melodrama at #1, the one great and acclaimed album of the year that shows its author out doing herself (also it would be timely to have a woman on top)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I don't think an album needs to be an artist's best to be the album of the year. American Dream is only my third favorite LCD Soundsystem album, but it's still rivaling MASSEDUCTION as my favorite album of this year. Both Kendrick and LCD have two albums in my top 30 already...but plenty of years have nothing that high. Hell, even preferring This Is Happening to American Dream, American Dream is a much more fitting album for its year, both thematically and because it isn't facing off against MBDTF. If it only places second or third for the year, it's probably going to place right next to the other non-Sound of Silver albums, where I'd say it belongs (though This is Happening should be higher...).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

(Also, when can we expect the next update?)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote:(Also, when can we expect the next update?)
Today. Waiting to see if any more new lists show up within the next couple of hours, then I'll post.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada: Grammy Awards [Album of the Year], Gorilla vs Bear, American Songwriter, Uproxx, Stereogum, Exclaim! [Canada], Noisey, Revolver, Slant
UK: The Skinny, The Quietus, The Wire, The Classic Rock :mrgreen:
Rest of the World: Gaffa [Sweden], Gaffa [Denmark], Mondosonoro-Intl [Spain], Double J [Australia], OOR [Netherlands - top 10, will update when complete], Intro [Germany]

I am focusing almost exclusively on sources that have been used in prior years. Newer sources are being tabled for the time being (unless they appear on the songs spreadsheet as well) and can be revisited once the lion's share of those existing sources are added.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

I note that there's not been one single mention for Brand New (one of the best reviewed albums of the year) so far in these lists as a result of what came out about Jesse Lacey's past. Understandable I guess though possibly a bit hypocritical from a music press who aren't about to delete the likes of Led Zeppelin from music history.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

charliepanayi wrote:I note that there's not been one single mention for Brand New (one of the best reviewed albums of the year) so far in these lists as a result of what came out about Jesse Lacey's past. Understandable I guess though possibly a bit hypocritical from a music press who aren't about to delete the likes of Led Zeppelin from music history.
Nothing for PWR BTTM either probably for similar reasons.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

StevieFan13 wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:I note that there's not been one single mention for Brand New (one of the best reviewed albums of the year) so far in these lists as a result of what came out about Jesse Lacey's past. Understandable I guess though possibly a bit hypocritical from a music press who aren't about to delete the likes of Led Zeppelin from music history.
Consequence of Sound made a good article today about the matter, specifically targetting these two bands.

Personally, Brand New was running away with my #1 spot this year by a mile before the allegations but now it's all down the garbage can, along with the merch I collected through the years.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

SpankyRevolution wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Consequence of Sound made a good article today about the matter, specifically targetting these two bands.

Personally, Brand New was running away with my #1 spot this year by a mile before the allegations but now it's all down the garbage can, along with the merch I collected through the years.
A year ago CoS put Michael Jackson at No. 1in their Greatest Singers Ever list. Presumably they're retracting that one too?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Not a single mention of Jesca Hoop's Memories Are Now anywhere. That one would easily rank top 10 for me. It got very good reviews, but I never expected it to be the type of album that would do well on End of Year lists. Still, not a single placement yet?

Also interesting to see how the early good run for Wolf Alice has simply vanished. As they are now, they wouldn't likely make the AM top 3000.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

charliepanayi wrote:
SpankyRevolution wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Nothing for PWR BTTM either probably for similar reasons.

A year ago CoS put Michael Jackson at No. 1in their Greatest Singers Ever list. Presumably they're retracting that one too?
This is a great topic worthy of discussion. Would someone like to create a separate thread for it before this spreadsheet update thread is hijacked by it? Thanks.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Harold wrote:
charliepanayi wrote:
SpankyRevolution wrote:

This is a great topic worthy of discussion. Would someone like to create a separate thread for it before this spreadsheet update thread is hijacked by it? Thanks.
Indeed. Sorry for sidetracking this thread!
Illiniq
Strange Fruit

Post by Illiniq »

Rob wrote:Not a single mention of Jesca Hoop's Memories Are Now anywhere. That one would easily rank top 10 for me. It got very good reviews, but I never expected it to be the type of album that would do well on End of Year lists. Still, not a single placement yet?

Also interesting to see how the early good run for Wolf Alice has simply vanished. As they are now, they wouldn't likely make the AM top 3000.
Re: Jesca Hoop - there were a ton of awesome, intimate, female-oriented singer/songwriter - folkish works this year that garnered a ton of positive press - but for whatever reason, the more Americana flavored works in this pool Jesca Hoop, Valerie June, Rhianna Giddens etc, seem to be the ones that have been ignored, while the more youthful, angstier offerings by the likes of Aldous Harding and Julien Baker have been the ones to get more year-end attention, which I get, as those two are a little more of this spotify driven moment, a touch more modern in their feel, though I like the first artists I mentioned better.

Wolf Alice is simply getting drowned out by the sheer number of American rags that contribute to this process. The band, like near every other decent emerging rock act these days, has no US audience. It's truly amazing to me how much UK and US tastes have diverged over the last ten years, and how completely the US's under 30 generation has completely abandoned rock n roll.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Illiniq wrote: Re: Jesca Hoop - there were a ton of awesome, intimate, female-oriented singer/songwriter - folkish works this year that garnered a ton of positive press - but for whatever reason, the more Americana flavored works in this pool Jesca Hoop, Valerie June, Rhianna Giddens etc, seem to be the ones that have been ignored, while the more youthful, angstier offerings by the likes of Aldous Harding and Julien Baker have been the ones to get more year-end attention, which I get, as those two are a little more of this spotify driven moment, a touch more modern in their feel, though I like the first artists I mentioned better.
Yes, I also think the huge wave of female singer/ songwriter contributes to the neglect of Jesca Hoop, although the neglect is shockingly total. Laura Marling also performs worse than I expected, but at least she does show up in lists (mostly on the lower end). Personally, I felt that Jesca Hoop, although indeed not thoroughly modern or a genre reinvention, had a rare album in which all tracks are really great. Haven't heard Valerie June as of yet, but Giddens is less consistent, although that album has some awesome highs.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Newly added sources:

USA/Canada: Entertainment Weekly, A.V. Club, Complex, Pretty Much Amazing, Treble, AllMusic
UK: The Guardian [#11-50]
Rest of the World: OOR (complete top 20) [Netherlands]

Current top 40:

1 Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
2 Lorde - Melodrama
3 St. Vincent - MASSEDUCTION
4 LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
5 SZA - Ctrl
6 Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
7 The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
8 The National - Sleep Well Beast
9 Father John Misty - Pure Comedy
10 Sampha - Process
11 Slowdive - Slowdive
12 Thundercat - Drunk
13 Kelela - Take Me Apart
14 Fever Ray - Plunge
15 Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
16 Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy
17 Perfume Genius - No Shape
18 Jay-Z -4:44
19 Queens of the Stone Age - Villains
20 The xx - I See You
21 Jlin - Black Origami
22 King Krule - The Ooz
23 Alvvays - Antisocialites
24 Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
25 Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice
26 Laura Marling - Semper Femina
27 Arca - Arca
28 Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator
29 Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
30 Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - The Nashville Sound
31 Sheer Mag - Need to Feel Your Love
32 Richard Dawson - Peasant
33 Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
34 Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
35 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
36 Jay Som - Everybody Works
37 Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent
38 Migos - Culture
39 Margo Price - All American Made
40 Converge - The Dusk in Us
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Harold wrote:Newly added sources:

USA/Canada: Entertainment Weekly, A.V. Club, Complex, Pretty Much Amazing, Treble, AllMusic

Current top 40:

1 Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
2 Lorde - Melodrama
5 SZA - Ctrl
10 Sampha - Process
11 Slowdive - Slowdive
12 Thundercat - Drunk
14 Fever Ray - Plunge
20 The xx - I See You
21 Jlin - Black Origami
22 King Krule - The Ooz
27 Arca - Arca
38 Migos - Culture
Please, don't forget to include Latin Grammy and MeHaceRuido.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

panam wrote:Please, don't forget to include Latin Grammy and MeHaceRuido.
They will be in the next update for sure.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Harold wrote:Newly added sources:

Current top 40:

1 Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
2 Lorde - Melodrama
5 SZA - Ctrl
10 Sampha - Process
11 Slowdive - Slowdive
12 Thundercat - Drunk
14 Fever Ray - Plunge
20 The xx - I See You
21 Jlin - Black Origami
22 King Krule - The Ooz
27 Arca - Arca
38 Migos - Culture
It'll be crazy to have The National in the top 100 artists next update. They've always been kind of a personal favorite of mine vs something that seemed universally classic, but they've chipped out quite the niche for themselves.
EGrignon
Are You Experienced?

Post by EGrignon »

Man, I knew Near to the Wild Heart of Life did not get the same reception as Celebration Rock did, but I didn't think it would be so low. It's sitting at #347 right now and only one publication mentioned it so far. For what it's worth, I've been jamming a lot to this album and I feel like Japandroids isn't getting its due. Maybe it's because they were gone for too long and people forgot about the album since it came out in January?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

SpankyRevolution wrote:Man, I knew Near to the Wild Heart of Life did not get the same reception as Celebration Rock did, but I didn't think it would be so low. It's sitting at #347 right now and only one publication mentioned it so far. For what it's worth, I've been jamming a lot to this album and I feel like Japandroids isn't getting its due. Maybe it's because they were gone for too long and people forgot about the album since it came out in January?
It’s really a shame. Several songs from it are on my EOY list, and I’ve been surprised by the lack of buzz.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
musicmanminard
I'm New Here

Post by musicmanminard »

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this post, but I crosschecked the song list artists vs. the album list artists and found these spelling/format discrepancies (excluding typical variations for featured artists):

Song Artist / Album Artist

(Sandy) Alex G / (Sandy) Alex G. (period on end)
Alvvways / Alvvays
Björk / Bjork
Cécile McLorin Salvant / Cecile McLorin Salvant
Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile / Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile
Él Mató a un Policía Motorizado / El Mato a un Policia Motorizado
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard
Lily Hiatt / Lilly Hiatt
Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie / Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie
Mark Lanegan / Mark Lanegan Band
Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds / Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (curly apostrophe vs. straight)
Oumou Sangaré / Oumou Sangare
Playboy Carti / Playboi Carti
Ryuchi Sakamoto / Ryuichi Sakamoto
YoungBoy NBA / NBA Youngboy

Thanks as always for all the hard work in putting these together every year. While I was consolidating, I figured I could help in some small way.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

musicmanminard wrote: Alvvways / Alvvays

Thanks as always
Should definitely be Thanks as Alvvays. :D
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Latin Grammy Awards [Album of the Year], PopMatters, Earbuddy, Time Out-New York, NPR, Pitchfork, Billboard
U.K.: The Guardian [#8-10], Gigwise
Rest of the World: Recorder [Hungary], Humo [Belgium], Rumore [Italy], MeHaceRuido (Spanish Language) [Mexico]
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Kendrick will be the only artist besides The Beatles and Radiohead to have three #1 albums in their respective years.
TVFan365
Strange Fruit

Post by TVFan365 »

I wonder if Charli XCX's new album, "Pop 2" which was released on December 15th will be on any of the remaining lists for this year or if it will be on next year's lists instead. I'm sure some songs on there would have made many year end lists too.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

TVFan365 wrote:I wonder if Charli XCX's new album, "Pop 2" which was released on December 15th will be on any of the remaining lists for this year or if it will be on next year's lists instead. I'm sure some songs on there would have made many year end lists too.
Probably not much. Mixtapes aren't featured much in EOY lists, I'm not sure Charli XCX is such a critical darling when it comes to albums, and if Run the Jewels this year is any indication, catching up with the late-year releases in their lists doesn't seem to be much of a priority with critics today...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Magnet; Spin
UK: The Guardian [#5-7]; The 405; God is in the TV; Mixmag; The Line of Best Fit; Crack; No Ripcord
Rest of the World: MeHaceRuido (Intl) [Mexico]; Indiestyle [Belgium]; Laut [Germany]; NBHAP [Germany]; Jenesaispop [Spain]; Mowno [France]

Current top 75 albums:

1 | Kendrick Lamar | DAMN.
2 | Lorde | Melodrama
3 | LCD Soundsystem | American Dream
4 | St. Vincent | MASSEDUCTION
5 | The War on Drugs | A Deeper Understanding
6 | SZA | Ctrl
7 | Vince Staples | Big Fish Theory
8 | Slowdive | Slowdive
9 | Sampha | Process
10 | The National | Sleep Well Beast
11 | Perfume Genius | No Shape
12 | Kelela | Take Me Apart
13 | Thundercat | Drunk
14 | Father John Misty | Pure Comedy
15 | Fever Ray | Plunge
16 | Mount Eerie | A Crow Looked at Me
17 | King Krule | The Ooz
18 | The xx | I See You
19 | Arca | Arca
20 | Tyler, The Creator | Flower Boy
21 | Jlin | Black Origami
22 | Jay-Z | 4:44
23 | Big Thief | Capacity
24 | Fleet Foxes | Crack-Up
25 | Queens of the Stone Age | Villains
26 | Alvvays | Antisocialites
27 | Algiers | The Underside of Power
28 | Bjork | Utopia
29 | Julien Baker | Turn Out the Lights
30 | Hurray for the Riff Raff | The Navigator
31 | Moses Sumney | Aromanticism
32 | Migos | Culture
33 | Richard Dawson | Peasant
34 | Priests | Nothing Feels Natural
35 | IDLES | Brutalism
36 | Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile | Lotta Sea Lice
37 | Kelly Lee Owens | Kelly Lee Owens
38 | Japanese Breakfast | Soft Sounds from Another Planet
39 | Protomartyr | Relatives in Descent
40 | Lana Del Rey | Lust for Life
41 | Aldous Harding | Party
42 | Run the Jewels | Run the Jewels 3 [2016]
43 | Wolf Alice | Visions of a Life
44 | Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit | The Nashville Sound
45 | Sheer Mag | Need to Feel Your Love
46 | (Sandy) Alex G. | Rocket
47 | Mount Kimbie | Love What Survives
48 | Paramore | After Laughter
49 | Spoon | Hot Thoughts
50 | Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith | The Kid
51 | Laura Marling | Semper Femina
52 | Julie Byrne | Not Even Happiness
53 | Jay Som | Everybody Works
54 | Four Tet | New Energy
55 | J Hus | Common Sense
56 | Drake | More Life
57 | Cigarettes After Sex | Cigarettes After Sex
58 | Jane Weaver | Modern Kosmology
59 | The Moonlandingz | Interplanetary Class Classics
60 | Future | HNDRXX
61 | Syd | Fin
62 | Stormzy | Gang Signs & Prayer
63 | Feist | Pleasure
64 | Waxahatchee | Out in the Storm
65 | Sleaford Mods | English Tapas
66 | Kesha | Rainbow
67 | Phoebe Bridgers | Stranger in the Alps
68 | Laurel Halo | Dust
69 | Margo Price | All American Made
70 | Nadine Shah | Holiday Destination
71 | Arcade Fire | Everything Now
72 | Converge | The Dusk in Us
73 | Sylvan Esso | What Now
74 | Mac DeMarco | This Old Dog
75 | John Maus | Screen Memories
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

...is Everything Now really climbing its way up?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote:...is Everything Now really climbing its way up?
Yes, the slow redemption of Arcade Fire's worst-reviewed album is one of the more surprising trends to emerge as the EOY spreadsheet takes shape. I doubt that it will climb high enough to make the top 3000 in the next update, but it certainly looks likely to end up as a bubbler.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:...is Everything Now really climbing its way up?
Yes, the slow redemption of Arcade Fire's worst-reviewed album is one of the more surprising trends to emerge as the EOY spreadsheet takes shape. I doubt that it will climb high enough to make the top 3000 in the next update, but it certainly looks likely to end up as a bubbler.
71 still isn't anything impressive.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:71 still isn't anything impressive.
It's more impressive than 871.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Seems like further proof to back up Henrik's suggestion on the Kendrick thread that 'The critics are lazy and pick the already most acclaimed artist".
Federico
Let's Get It On

Post by Federico »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Magnet; Spin
UK: The Guardian [#5-7]; The 405; God is in the TV; Mixmag; The Line of Best Fit; Crack; No Ripcord
Rest of the World: MeHaceRuido (Intl) [Mexico]; Indiestyle [Belgium]; Laut [Germany]; NBHAP [Germany]; Jenesaispop [Spain]; Mowno [France]
I miss Musikexpress. Laut and NBHAP were later.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Federico wrote:I miss Musikexpress. Laut and NBHAP were later.
MusikExpress is on the spreadsheet! Sorry - I forgot to put it in the list of newly added sources (it's in between the two from MeHaceRuido and I overlooked it).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Thanks, Harold! :D
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

I am perplexed as to how 50 Song Memoir is only at #81. It got such great reviews and no one seems to remember it :|
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Mulholland wrote:I am perplexed as to how 50 Song Memoir is only at #81. It got such great reviews and no one seems to remember it :|

There are a couple albums that seemed to get phenomenal reviews yet are being forgotten. V is by far the highest Horrors album on Metacritic and it's only in the 70s on the spreadsheet...
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

BleuPanda wrote:
Mulholland wrote:I am perplexed as to how 50 Song Memoir is only at #81. It got such great reviews and no one seems to remember it :|

There are a couple albums that seemed to get phenomenal reviews yet are being forgotten. V is by far the highest Horrors album on Metacritic and it's only in the 70s on the spreadsheet...
The fact that it's 50 songs long may have something to do with it. How many critics have time to listen and probably re-listen at year end to a 50 song album? It's also hard to judge 50 songs which for most people are going to vary in quality against albums with 10 songs all high quality.
nekovolta
Superunknown

Post by nekovolta »

In case you don't know this website, I post here this link. If this is not the appropiate way to give that reference, my apologies...

http://www.blisstopic.com/articulos/ite ... es-de-2017
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

nekovolta wrote:In case you don't know this website, I post here this link. If this is not the appropiate way to give that reference, my apologies...

http://www.blisstopic.com/articulos/ite ... es-de-2017
Lists from individual sources should be posted as new topics in the EOY 2017 forum. But thanks for posting this.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:

The fact that it's 50 songs long may have something to do with it. How many critics have time to listen and probably re-listen at year end to a 50 song album? It's also hard to judge 50 songs which for most people are going to vary in quality against albums with 10 songs all high quality.
Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs was both a contemporary favorite in 1999 and long term critical favorite to present day, though we do have admittedly more of a "Now" culture than we did 20 years ago.

Return to “EOY 2017”