U2 - Songs of Experience

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by StevieFan13 »

Four days until U2 release their newest album. I'll always be a U2 apologist, and the early hype has actually been very good (and I actually kinda liked Songs of Innocence, so maybe there's no hope for me). I'll post the Spotify link when available.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Re: U2 - Songs of Experience

Post by Setherex »

What's the opposite of hype?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Setherex wrote:What's the opposite of hype?
Not U2, because they're The Hype
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Setherex wrote:What's the opposite of hype?
Dread? Maybe that's a bit strong, but U2 might one-up themselves and not just force their new album onto our phones, but upload it directly into our brainwaves.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I definitely don't hate U2, but I also will not seek out this album unless it's getting solid reviews. Their last album left a lot to be desired.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

As long as they don't release latter-day albums at the pace of Neil Young (shouldn't be a problem, they're one of the slower-moving acts in the studio), I'm sticking with U2. I've seen encouraging press, too, though maybe a whole ton of releases can boast as much...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Judging by the reviews, it seems that if you like U2, you'll probably think it's fine, and if you don't like U2, you'll haaaaaaattttteeee it. I will judge it for myself. Again, I dug Songs of Innocence, which was largely panned for its existence rather than its actual quality (still not even close to Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree, although "Song for Someone" was one of my favorite songs for a while until I remembered literally everything else U2's recorded. Still very good, though), so I might at least think it's OK at worst. But if it's bad, lord help me.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And the reviews are so polarizing: either it's their best album in years or their absolute worst. Between them and Taylor Swift, I wish music critics could come to more of a consensus so I don't have to pay money for a work that nobody can agree on being good or not. (At least there's always Kendrick. I really hope he doesn't let me down.)
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

StevieFan13 wrote:Judging by the reviews, it seems that if you like U2, you'll probably think it's fine, and if you don't like U2, you'll haaaaaaattttteeee it.
This is the most unsurprising thing you could have posted in this thread.
StevieFan13 wrote:Between them and Taylor Swift, I wish music critics could come to more of a consensus so I don't have to pay money for a work that nobody can agree on being good or not.
I don't understand how you're not seeing the vast consensus as being determinably mediocre.

But to play devil's advocate, why not just wait two days to listen to the album via streaming, then purchase if you like it enough? Why do you need critics, fans, or even us to respond if you're so obviously interested?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Setherex wrote:I don't understand how you're not seeing the vast consensus as being determinably mediocre.
The last time I saw the metacritic score (which I think was around the time Stevie posted that), it was sitting at the mid-70s. Now, however...yikes.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Setherex wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Judging by the reviews, it seems that if you like U2, you'll probably think it's fine, and if you don't like U2, you'll haaaaaaattttteeee it.
This is the most unsurprising thing you could have posted in this thread.
StevieFan13 wrote:Between them and Taylor Swift, I wish music critics could come to more of a consensus so I don't have to pay money for a work that nobody can agree on being good or not.
I don't understand how you're not seeing the vast consensus as being determinably mediocre.

But to play devil's advocate, why not just wait two days to listen to the album via streaming, then purchase if you like it enough? Why do you need critics, fans, or even us to respond if you're so obviously interested?
Well now I’m seeing it. I guess it’s more high key wishing it wasn’t. I still have a teeny bit of hope. I just like getting some kind of impression going in. I don’t see a play unless the reviews are good, so it’s a little like that for albums (then again, I don’t necessarily have to pay for the album).

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”