Overlooked Songs 2: Round 1 Week 2

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Overlooked Songs 2: Round 1 Week 2

Post by BleuPanda »

Two notes: the previous round has a couple hours left, and I'd once again like people to confirm whether these songs are the right versions; specifically Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, C is the Heavenly Option, and Stand on the Word.

The rules are simple. After listening to each song, vote for your favorite in each match. The deadline to vote is Monday, December 4 at 10 am CST.

Here is the bracket:
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=468522

Matches:
Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free
vs.
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble
vs.
The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw

Elliot Smith - Memory Lane
vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
vs.
Fastball - The Way

Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground
vs.
Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja
vs.
Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option

Grimes - California
vs.
The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word

Romain
Happy Up Here

Re: Overlooked Songs 2: Round 1 Week 2

Post by Romain »

Matches:
vs.

vs.
The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw

vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia

Steely Dan - Aja
vs.

Grimes - California
vs.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

The Books - Take Time

16 Horsepower - Haw

Pass

Steely Dan - Aja

Grimes - California
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Of course I forgot to doublecheck whether these all were eligible and at least Memory Lane wasn't...but since it'd be disqualified due to falling into a lower position of acclaim than its competition, I'll just let it be.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I can confirm that Always Look on the Bright Side of Life is the right version.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

BleuPanda wrote:I'd once again like people to confirm whether these songs are the right versions; specifically Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, C is the Heavenly Option, and Stand on the Word.
I prefer the Larry Levan mix; the version you included seems to be a re-recording

edit: thank you!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Jimi Hendrix – Stone Free
I’m generally not the biggest fan of Jimi Hendrix; guitar-led classic rock tends to fall out of my zone. The good thing here is that “Stone Free” is a Hendrix track led more by percussion and a propulsive rhythm. It expertly shifts gears between sections, ending with a climactic guitar solo that doesn’t overstay its welcome before returning to the chorus. It’s definitely a track I’ve overlooked while listening to Are You Experienced in the past, but it is a lot of fun.
7.5/10

Monty Python – Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
It’s hard for me to consider this a good song; it’s pure novelty, and separated from the shocking imagery it’s paired with in its source, it loses most of its impact for me. This song helps give Life of Brian one of the greatest endings in cinema, but it doesn’t do much at all for me outside of context.
6/10

Unknown Mortal Orchestra – So Good at Being in Trouble
Unknown Mortal Orchestra is one of the grooviest rock bands today, second in the modern psychedelic scene only to Tame Impala. Ruban Nielsen’s vocals are pure ecstasy on their best tracks, such as this one, and the guitar is always rolling along with a pleasant funk. However, unlike their standouts from their next album, “So Good at Being in Trouble” doesn’t really go anywhere. “Multi-Love” and “Can’t Keep Checking My Phone” are breathtakingly propulsive, while this is happy to linger in a simple groove. Good, but you can see why it was their next album that broke through.
7.25/10

The Books – Take Time
In the last overlooked songs tournament, I was sad to see only two songs break into what is now my 8/10 range; one was my own nomination and the other was a track by my favorite band. I’m happy to stumble across this monstrosity of sound, by a band I’ve only visited once before with their equally bizarre Thought for Food album. “Take Time” feels like it exists alongside some indeterminate era of Sufjan Stevens, his early experiments juxtaposed with his folky breakthrough albums. Intense acoustic strumming is paired with jarring rhythmic samples, the song eventually descending into a monotonous chant. Yet all these disparate elements are in perfect form, its clashes a pleasurable sensation. The Books are one of the more boundary pushing bands of the early 2000s, and “Take Time” perfectly captures everything that makes them special, a shining blend of experimental electronic and folk.
8.3/10

Arctic Monkeys – 505
“505” is definitely an Arctic Monkeys song, and Arctic Monkeys are definitely a band I like the general sound of enough that I’ll pretty much like any song you throw at me. Like Unknown Mortal Orchestra, they’re another band this week that injects their throwback sound with danceable rhythms. “505” is a slow build to a strong release two and a half minutes in, never losing energy as it pushes forward, climaxing with a guitar solo that isn’t particularly impressive but suits where the song was headed. Like “Stone Free,” it’s a strong backing track off a great (and in this case underrated) album. Not a definitive Arctic Monkeys track, but a reason to hear their albums in full.
7.5/10

16 Horsepower – Haw
“Gothic country” is apparently a thing, and I can dig it. “Haw” doesn’t do much for me as a lone track; I’m taken in by its stylistic vibe, but all it really does is make me want to check out a full album. It’s one of those odd cases where what it’s doing should be unique enough to make it stand out, but it doesn’t quite have the vocal charm of the best gothic music, nor the catchiness of country.
6.75/10

Elliott Smith – Memory Lane
Something about this track just doesn’t work for me. It sounds more like a jingle, its instrumentation like a weak Beatles track and its vocals awkwardly keeping pace with the rhythm throughout. A rare miss for an artist I usually love, it unfortunately crosses the thin line between catchy and annoying.
4.5/10

Cromagnon – Caledonia
This match-up is really coming from all angles. Facing off against Elliott Smith’s overly poppy “Memory Lane” is “Caledonia,” a song that really seems unconcerned with any notion of pleasantness; of course Pitchfork would find this obscure track and claim it as one of the definitive works of the 1960s. So, sure, this song could be a precursor to several bands from the late 70s and early 80s; but had those bands ever heard this? I’m not sure how to rate this; there’s a lot to take in here. I do really like the use of bagpipes, and it’s at least a sound like no other. At least in this specific match-up, it’s an easy choice. As I listen through a second time, I can tell this will grow on me, but it’s already clearly beat out Memory Lane for me.
7.25???/10

Michael Jackson – Stranger in Moscow
I’ve never been the biggest fan of even Michael Jackson’s best moments; even his acclaimed work after Thriller does more to get on my nerves than anything. “Stranger in Moscow” is one of Jackson’s more understated tracks, but it also doesn’t go anywhere for me, beside its strong chorus. But, hey; I’d rather take vaguely pleasant than grating!
6.75/10

Fastball – The Way
Well this was a nostalgia trip; I don’t think I’ve heard this song since it was on the billboard charts. It’s from that awkward period of rock in the late 90s, after all the best bands suddenly dissolved and no one knew where to go. It’s one of the more pleasant pieces from the era, carrying a strong sense of rhythm especially during its chorus, but I can also see why it’s completely faded as time goes by. It hits just the right notes to be a perfect pop rock hit in an era starved for something even decent.
7.25/10

Sleigh Bells – Crown on the Ground
Crown on the Ground, i.e. that track that will have an absurdly high score compared to the others due to being my own nomination. Treats has made regular appearances in my top 100 albums ever, and it’s always felt like one of those albums where the critics really missed the standout moments. “Crown on the Ground” is the definitive track to me, and one of the most unique of its decade; whichever one it belongs to (a demo version was released in 2009, but the album dropped in 2010, and I feel like part of its missing acclaim could be due to that decade split). “Crown on the Ground” starts with a striking guitar riff left to play four bars on its own, before a propulsive bass and grunting adds a rhythmic element. The whole song then shifts gears into a mess of distortion and noise, but never loses its sense of rhythm. Derek Miller’s screeching guitar is honed in by Alexis Krauss’s cheerleader-esque vocals, creating a sound like no other. This is the theme song for the greatest high school football game ever.
9.3/10

Dubstar – Stars
A shame a song like this has to face off against my favorite for the week. Dream pop is one of those genres with many great acts that simply get overshadowed by one big name. This is just such an easy listen, in a way I’m not finding myself able to describe. “Dream pop” is one of those perfectly descriptive genres; this song simply floats along, a pleasant moment that is never too invasive.
7.5/10

Steely Dan – Aja
Steely Dan as a whole has just never clicked with me. Their music has always put an emphasis on technical precision, and that’s just never been my style (see the rather messy Crown on the Ground above). “Aja” is so clear, so crisp, so perfectly designed for people who aren’t me. It’s an eight minute epic that I’m sure would be engaging if I was any other person. It’s a band and sound I can respect, and I can see what they’re doing here; it just isn’t for me. And, like many tracks here, I see this working better on the album than as its own work.
I think part of the problem is that I feel simply overwhelmed by how much classic rock I’m exposed to by all these lists. I feel just on the edge of ‘getting’ Steely Dan, but I never feel particularly inclined to try.
7/10

Heavenly – C is the Heavenly Option
Now this is a pop rock track I can get behind. It starts with a propulsive rhythm and simply builds upon it, and I’m always a fan of dueling vocals. I’m actually surprised this is from 1992; I would have guessed the early 1980s. Perhaps it came out at the wrong time to gain the attention it deserves (and music like this rarely gets the attention it deserves even in the right era…). I’m not quite sure how to explain it, but this works for me. It’s short, sweet, to the point, and always adds an extra element at just the right time. Another 8+ track in this section of the bracket!
8/10

Grimes – California
I can’t be the only one surprised to see “California” bubbling while “Venus Fly” isn’t even mentioned, right? Oh well; at least in my opinion, Art Angels is one of those albums that could have half of its tracks featured on acclaimed music and I wouldn’t bat an eye. It essentially kicks off what is (obviously) one of my favorite albums, perhaps the most poppy of its tracks. Grimes has a perfect sense of rhythm, and she pulls back at just the right moments to keep the song constantly refreshing itself.
7.75/10

The Joubert Singers – Stand on the Word
This is a song that really packs a lot in. A mix of gospel and disco, “Stand on the Word” has a consistently pleasant sound throughout. The vocal harmonies are on point, even if the subject matter is one I’d rather avoid. Gospel and disco seems like one of those blatantly obvious combinations, but I can’t actually think of other examples. The way both genres tend to slowly build toward a dense climax works perfectly here, and each moment leaves me in anticipation of the next.
7.75/10

Final rank:
Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground (9.3)
The Books - Take Time (8.3)
Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option (8.0)
The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word (7.75)
California (7.75)
Dubstar - Stars (7.5)
Arctic Monkeys - 505 (7.5)
Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free (7.5)
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble (7.25)
Cromagnon - Caledonia (7.25)
Fastball - The Way (7.25)
Steely Dan - Aja (7.0)
Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow (6.75)
16 Horsepower - Haw (6.75)
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (6.0)
Elliott Smith - Memory Lane (4.5)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

I really love the comments. I'm not able to make the same thing with my poor vocabulary but I appreciate a lot to read yours, thanks for those who take times for that.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

7. Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free
vs.
13. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

14. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble
vs.
8. The Books - Take Time

16. Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
6. 16 Horsepower - Haw

4. Elliot Smith - Memory Lane
vs.
12. Cromagnon - Caledonia

10. Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
vs.
15. Fastball - The Way

9. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground
vs.
11. Dubstars - Stars

3. Steely Dan - Aja
vs.
5. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option

2. Grimes - California
vs.
1. The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Pass

Arctic Monkeys - 505

Steely Dan - Aja

Grimes - California
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Arctic Monkeys - 505

Fastball - The Way

Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja

Grimes - California
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free 5
vs.
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life 7

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble 6
vs.
The Books - Take Time 6

Arctic Monkeys - 505 8
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw 7

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane 6
vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia 8

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow 5
vs.
Fastball - The Way 8

Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground 6
vs.
Dubstar - Stars 8 (For those who like this song, I strongly recommend the album "Goodbye." Unfortunately, I don't think "Stars" was on the original UK version, but it starts the U.S. version I have. My favorite song of theirs, "No More Talk," is on both.)

Steely Dan - Aja 6
vs.
Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option 5

Grimes - California 5
vs.
The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word 7

I've noticed a trend at the beginning of this game. There are a lot of artists here I love, but many with songs that aren't among my favorites by them.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

16 Horsepower - Haw

Fastball - The Way

Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja

Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

vs.

vs.
The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw

vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia

vs.
Fastball - The Way

vs.
Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja
vs.

Grimes - California
vs.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Arctic Monkeys - 505
Dubstars - Stars
Steely Dan - Aja
Grimes - California
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Now, to watch all three of my favorite tracks perish in the first round ;_;
profeta
Start Me Up

Post by profeta »

Nice game!

vs.

vs.
The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw

vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia

vs.
Fastball - The Way

vs.
Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja
vs.

Grimes - California
vs.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

vs.
The Books - Take Time - pass for now

Arctic Monkeys - 505

vs.
Cromagnon - Caledonia - pass for now

vs.
Fastball - The Way - pass for now

vs.
Dubstars - Stars - pass for now

Steely Dan - Aja

Grimes - California
vs.
The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word - pass for now
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

EmilienDelRey wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I'd once again like people to confirm whether these songs are the right versions; specifically Always Look on the Bright Side of Life, C is the Heavenly Option, and Stand on the Word.
Sounds like the right version of C is the Heavenly Option. Man is it getting it’s ass whooped. Heavenly I guess is an acquired taste and probably not as groundbreaking as Talulah Gosh, the band they spun off from but this is easily their best. Guess it’s too poppy and sugary. Not everyone’s cup of tea. At least not without tons of sugar being added to it ;)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Not available in the US?

Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Arctic Monkeys - 505

"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

3. Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free
vs.
12. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

13. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble
vs.
14. The Books - Take Time

5. Arctic Monkeys – 505
vs.
6. 16 Horsepower – Haw

2. Elliot Smith - Memory Lane
vs.
16. Cromagnon – Caledonia

11. Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
vs.
9. Fastball - The Way

1. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground
vs.
8. Dubstars – Stars

15. Steely Dan – Aja
vs.
4. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option

7. Grimes – California
vs.
10. The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
...will keep us together.
Renan
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Renan »

pass

Arctic Monkeys - 505

Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

6. Jimi Hendrix Experience - Stone Free vs. 1. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
5. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble vs. 13. The Books - Take Time
9. Arctic Monkeys - 505 vs. 7. 16 Horsepower - Haw
2. Elliot Smith - Memory Lane vs. 16. Cromagnon - Caledonia
15. Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow vs. 12. Fastball - The Way
14. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground vs. 4. Dubstars - Stars
3. Steely Dan - Aja vs. 11. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option
10. Grimes - California vs. 8. The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

The Books - Take Time
16 Horsepower - Haw
Dubstars - Stars
Steely Dan - Aja
Grimes - California
There is No More Firmament.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being In Trouble
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

More tough matches! It killed me to pick Grimes over the Joubert Singers (When will they get easier?) I will probably refrain from descriptions until favorites solidify, sometime in the top 64. I can say "Stranger in Moscow" was my favorite discovery.

The Books - Take Time
Arctic Monkeys - 505
Dubstars - Stars
Steely Dan - Aja
Grimes - California
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free (6)
vs.Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (6)

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble (6)
vs.The Books - Take Time (5)

Arctic Monkeys - 505 (8)vs.16 Horsepower - Haw (10)

Elliot Smith - Memory Lane (7) vs.Cromagnon - Caledonia (6)

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow (6)vs.Fastball - The Way (8)

Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground (7)vs.'Dubstars - Stars (7)

Steely Dan - Aja (3)vs.Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option (7)

Grimes - California (8)vs.The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word (6)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

First a long bit about the first match-up:

3. Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free vs. 1. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

In defense of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

BluePanda calls this song “pure novelty, and separated from the shocking imagery it’s paired with in its source, it loses most of its impact for me”. An understandable verdict, as the song was created for a very specific scene with rather vivid imagery (if you haven’t seen Life of Brian, just see it and find out where this song shows up). It seems just a case of a ridiculously upbeat song being put over a dark event, very similar to the appearance of Vera Lynn’s We’ll Meet Again in of Dr. Strangelove. However, there is more to it.

The lyrics are a strange kind of upbeat. The chorus sings the title over and over and there is catchy whistling galore, so yeah, that plays like a more standard feel good song. The verses on the other hand are sarcastic and find victory in the ridiculous. Halfway through the chorus even changes from “Always look on the bright side of life” to “Always look on the bright side of death”. Followed quickly by “You’ll see it’s all a show / keep ‘em laughing as you / Just remember that the last laugh is on you”. Other lines include “You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing/ What have you lost: Nothing!”.

Indeed, Monty Python take the piss out of life. The group basically posit the philosophy that life is only worth living once you notice that it isn’t worth much on itself. “Life’s a laugh and death’s a joke/ It’s true”. It’s basically a variation on the concluding line of Dylan’s epic It’s Alright, Ma (I’m Only Bleeding) – and by the way, that could have been the title of this Monty Python song -: "It’s alright, ma/ It’s life and life only”. In the film this all works because it gives an absurdly defiant spirit to a ridiculously grim ending.

It works out of context too. This is the only “feel good” song I can play when I’m in a good mood as well as when I’m feeling down. When I’m feeling great I just like the catchy melody and whistle along. When I feel bad, it feeds into my cynicism and turns it into something defiant. A big, happy fuck you against this silly thing we call life. Many people I know claim to have feel good songs around that help them when they aren’t doing well. When I feel down, “real” feel good songs don’t tend to work for me. The world they sketch is too far removed from what I’m going through, making me feel alone. In fact, a feel good song at the worst time can be the most annoying thing. But Always Look on the Bright Side of Life always works for me. It lifts the spirits, while still acknowledging that “Life’s a piece of shit/ When you look at it”.

As a bonus, I love how lead singer Eric Idle near the end suddenly loses track of the song and starts rambling about stuff. “Incidentally, this record is available in the foyer. Some of us must live as well you know?” Even after probably over a hundred spins these lines make me smile: “Who do you think pays for all this rubbish? They’ll never make their money back”. I said to him, “Bernie”, I said, “They never make their money back”".

Stone Free is a great competitor for this song. It’s top Hendrix, but still truly overlooked. Nonetheless, Always Look On the Bright Side of Life is one of those selects songs that is always with me and has been for about 15 years. I used to put it high on top song lists, which musical friends sometimes derided. But I’ll stick with it.

4. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble vs. 8. The Books - Take Time
Two unconventional indie songs, but opposites in approach. One is a floating in a dream, the other is disruptive. I like both, but go for the trouble.

6. Arctic Monkeys - 505 vs. 5. 16 Horsepower - Haw
Two bands I like a lot with songs I like a lot from albums I like a lot. Could go either way, but I just feel that in the grander scheme of things Haw stands out more.

15. Elliot Smith - Memory Lane vs. 10. Cromagnon - Caledonia
I actually already knew Caledonia, which I came across on some list of the weirdest songs of all time, or some such thing. I'm still not what to make of it, or whether it is really great, but it works in some uncanny, proto-metal way. Elliot Smith isn't on his best here, but it is a nice song. Not quite the jingle BluePanda makes it out to be, but not a career-defining masterpiece either.

13. Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow vs. 7. Fastball - The Way
Like BluePanda I remember The Way from the nineties, but had almost forgotten about it. It's nice to hear it again, especially since even though it is an unfashionable sound by now, it is a very solid and captivating track that doesn't quite deserve to become a vague memory. Stranger in Moscow is okay I guess. Much better than most Michael Jackson ballads (of whom I tend to be allergic), but I don't feel swayed by it either.

9. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground vs. 2. Dubstars - Stars
Crown on the Ground is a glorious mess. Hard to take at first, but kind of great once you get into it. I really should listen to that album soon. Nonetheless, I prefer the shining beauty of Stars, a great discovery here.

11. Steely Dan - Aja vs. 12. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option
Sometimes you come across songs that totally work, but still fail to excite me. This match-up contains two such songs. I appreciate them, enjoy them even, but would probably never feel inclined to put them on again. I feel this way about a lot of Steely Dan by the way. Still, there is some good playing on Aja that can't be denied.

14. Grimes - California vs. Unranked (see below). The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
Another difficult match-up, for two songs that both work and don't work for me, for opposite reasons. I like Grime, mostly because she takes current pop trends and turns them inside out. On California however, she just makes current pop, albeit with better lyrics. It's a solid song, but doesn't quite appeal to me in ways her best songs do. Stand on the Word is another matter entirely. It is a very, very catchy song, that mixes gospel and dance in an inspired way. I don't mind religious lyrics per definition, but I have a difficult time when a crowd is basically cheering a variation of "Don't think for yourself/ Just as the Bible tells you". That uncritical thinking is part of the reason that has kept me from religion and what creeps me out (no offense to religious people here, this is a personal statement). It really diminishes my enjoyment of the song a lot. Can't really rate of rank it.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I don't have spotify, so I was trying to find this song on YouTube, and there are a million different versions. Can someone please point me to the right one? Thanks!
Karla
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Karla »

vs.

Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
16 Horsepower - Haw

vs.
Fastball - The Way

Steely Dan - Aja
vs.

Grimes - California
vs.
So come on let it go..
Just let it be... :music-listening:
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

andyd1010 wrote:The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word

I don't have spotify, so I was trying to find this song on YouTube, and there are a million different versions. Can someone please point me to the right one? Thanks!
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Thanks for the link, EmilienDelRey! I like it, but it's got a tough matchup.

9. Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free
vs.
6. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

5. Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble
vs.
15. The Books - Take Time

4. Arctic Monkeys - 505
vs.
10. 16 Horsepower - Haw

3. Elliot Smith - Memory Lane
vs.
16. Cromagnon - Caledonia

14. Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow
vs.
1. Fastball - The Way

13. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground
vs.
12. Dubstars - Stars

8. Steely Dan - Aja
vs.
11. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option

2. Grimes - California
vs.
7. The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

16 Horsepower - Haw
Fastball - The Way
Dubstars - Stars
Steely Dan - Aja

I have decided to stop the 1-16 ranking because
1) it takes unnecessary time and effort
2) I don't want more conflicts with old friends ;)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

The Books - Take Time
That's not my pick I expected to have the worst time (which doesn't bode well for I'll Believe in Anything) but I see they struggle a lot in here.
For those who loved that song, I can only recommend the other standout from The Lemon of Pink, the wonderful Tokyo (and the strangely touching All Our Base Are Belong to Them from Thought for Food)

16 Horsepower - Haw
Cromagnon - Caledonia
I know, I know, I'm the biggest Elliott Smith fan in the forum, but Memory Lane wouldn't make my top 40 of his while Caledonia is something crazy and way ahead of its time.

I love C is the Heavenly Option, bought Le Jardin d'Heavenly just based on that song and hated the rest of the album though, so I might have more liking for Calvin Johnson (though Beat Happening and the Halo Benders are hit and miss) than with the Bristol twee band.

Grimes - California
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys- 505

MIchael Jackson- Stranger in Moscow

Dubstar- Stars

Heavenly- C is the Heavenly Option

Grimes- California
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free vs. Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life (Best Losing Song)
I'm a big fan of Monty Python (even saw and heard ALotBSofL live during the last live show) but I have to give it to Jimi here.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble vs. The Books - Take Time

Arctic Monkeys - 505 vs. 16 Horsepower - Haw
Somehow 505 made an impact in Belgium, as last year, on StuBru radio, it was voted Arctic Monkey's best song, and at the end of the year it even made the all-time top 100-list (right between Neil Young's Heart of Gold and The Doors' The End (!))

Elliot Smith - Memory Lane vs. Cromagnon - Caledonia

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow vs. Fastball - The Way

Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground vs. Dubstars - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja vs. Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option

Grimes - California vs. The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:In defense of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
Brilliant review, Rob! (as usual)
Rob wrote:(if you haven’t seen Life of Brian, just see it and find out where this song shows up)
If you haven't seen "Life of Brian" just stop what you're doing right now and go see the movie. My favourite comedy ever. By far.
Henrik wrote:I have decided to stop the 1-16 ranking because
1) it takes unnecessary time and effort
2) I don't want more conflicts with old friends ;)
Naaah, Henrik! You can't do that! I know your comment was tongue-in-cheek but... it was not a conflict! It was only a (minor) discrepancy on tastes, I should have stated it clearly on my answer! Anyway you're right, it takes more time. But I like a lot going through the lists of the different voters and compare the sometimes very different tastes. And it should take much more than a discrepancy about George Michael and Django Reinhardt to break our friendship... ;) :romance-kisscheek:
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

No worries, Honorio! :D

This week’s conflict would have been (well now it’s a fact, after all) with Dan. Sleigh Bells is definitely my #16. Makes my ears bleed, ha ha. And it’s up against my nomination, nonetheless!
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Henrik wrote:No worries, Honorio! :D

This week’s conflict would have been (well now it’s a fact, after all) with Dan. Sleigh Bells is definitely my #16. Makes my ears bleed, ha ha. And it’s up against my nomination, nonetheless!
When you used the plural “friends” and not just the singular “friend” I suspected that you might have been referring to me. When I ranked the songs this week I realised that my ranking would probably be quite different to yours (and Honorio's, and other forumers whose taste in music I like). I had a feeling you would dislike the Sleigh Bells song, and I was also aware that I gave the Steely Dan song a low ranking while knowing that you really like them (and especially the album the song comes from). But I have so much in common with my dearest “old friends” that I find it quite amusing and funny when my ranking ends up surprisingly different to theirs. And to be honest, this week there wasn’t a single song I cared for deeply and I was surprised that “Crown on the Ground” ended up as my #1. (Although, as Rob said, it’s a glorious mess of a song and I find the whole album it comes from quite exhilirating, even though I'm not usually into "noisy" music. They do have a unique sound... I'm especially fond of the machine gun resembling mayhem of "Tell 'Em").

PS: "Stars" is really growing on me.
...will keep us together.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

Fastball - The Way

Dubstar - Stars

Steely Dan - Aja

The Joubert Singers - Stand On The World
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
So Good at Being in Trouble
505 (this one was basically a tossup)
Memory Lane
The Way
Stars
C is the Heavenly Option
California
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

28 voters this week! We only had 20 voters in the bubbler section last time!

Results

Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free: 16
Monty Python - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: 11

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - So Good at Being in Trouble: 17
The Books - Take Time: 8

Arctic Monkeys - 505: 17
16 Horsepower - Haw: 10

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane: 17
Cromagnon - Caledonia: 7

Michael Jackson - Stranger in Moscow: 11
Fastball - The Way: 14

Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground: 8
Dubstars - Stars: 15

Steely Dan - Aja: 16
Heavenly - C is the Heavenly Option: 11

Grimes - California: 16
The Joubert Singers - Stand on the Word: 10
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Arctic Monkeys - 505
Dubstars - Stars
Steely Dan - Aja
Grimes - California
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”