the Meters
the Moody Blues
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Nina Simone
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Link Wray
Zombies.

Rock Hall of Fame: Radiohead, Rage, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode Lead Nominees
LL Cool J, Kate Bush, Dire Straits, the Moody Blues, Judas Priest among 19 possible inductees
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... es-w507052
By Andy Greene

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2018 are in, and the list includes Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Kate Bush, the Cars, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, J. Geils Band, LL Cool J, MC5, the Meters, the Moody Blues, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Nina Simone, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Link Wray and the Zombies. The top vote-getters will be announced in December and inducted on April 14th at a ceremony at Public Hall in Cleveland. HBO will broadcast the ceremony later in the year.

To be eligible for this year's ballot, each nominee's first single or album had to be released in 1992 or earlier. Some of the nominees have appeared on previous ballots, but this is the first appearance for Kate Bush, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, Judas Priest, the Moody Blues, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine, Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine are the only acts to appear on the ballot in their first year of eligibility, while this marks the fifth appearance for the J. Geils Band, the fourth for LL Cool J and the Meters, the third for the Cars, MC5 and the Zombies and the second for Bon Jovi, Depeche Mode, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan and Link Wray.

For the sixth consecutive year, the public will have the opportunity to vote alongside the more than 800 artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 5th, fans can vote on the Rock Hall's site for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the ballots that determine the class of 2016.

Keeping with a new tradition that began last year, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be honored. The current Depeche Mode lineup of Dave Gahan, Martin Gore and Andy Fletcher is listed along with former keyboardist Alan Wilder (who left in 1995) and original keyboardist/band co-founder Vince Clarke, who after just one album and went on to form Yazoo and Erasure. Bon Jovi is listed along with former guitarist Richie Sambora (who left in 2013) and original bassist Alec John Such, who left in 1994.

Judas Priest has featured many lineups over the past five decades, but the Hall of Fame selected vocalist Rob Halford, bassist Ian Hill, guitarists Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing and drummers Scott Travis, Les Binks and Dave Holland.

Dire Straits had an even wider assortment of musicians come and go over the years, but only frontman Mark Knopfler, bassist John Illsley, drummer Pick Withers, guitarist David Knopfler and keyboardists Alan Clark and Guy Fletcher appear on the ballot.

As always, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony could feature some once-in-a-lifetime reunions. Rage Against The Machine haven't performed since 2011, though it's far from clear if reclusive frontman Zack de la Rocha would come to the event. "It'll be interesting to see who shows up," Rage bassist Tim Commerford told Rolling Stone in 2015. "I think it's pretty obvious. I think there's somebody who's going to show up and somebody who's not going to show up and maybe somebody who's going to show up with an enema filled with food coloring and shit all over the red carpet."

The ceremony could also mark the first Dire Straits performance since their 1995 split, Bon Jovi's first public appearance with Richie Sambora since their acrimonious split in 2013 and the Cars' first performance since their brief 2011 reunion tour. It could also be the first time that Vince Clarke has taken the stage with Depeche Mode since he left in 1981. It's also a very rare opportunity for Kate Bush to perform live in America.

Earlier this year, Rolling Stone asked each member of Radiohead for their thoughts on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Most of them expressed supreme disinterest in the event. "I don't want to be rude about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because for a lot of people it means something, but culturally I don't understand it," said guitarist Ed O'Brien. "But if you ask me what I'd rather be doing that night, I'd rather be sitting at home in front of the fire or going to a gig."

Only bassist Colin Greenwood seemed enthused about the prospect of the band getting in. "I'd be grateful if we got in," he said. "Look at the other people that have been inducted. I don't know if everyone else will go though. It might be me just doing bass versions of everything like, 'Come on, you know this one!' I'd have to play the bass part to 'Creep' five times."

Last year's Hall of Fame class included Pearl Jam, Yes, Journey, Tupac Shakur, Joan Baez and Electric Light Orchestra.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Rock Hall of Fame Nominees for Class of 2018

Post by Moonbeam »

My preference:
Dexter wrote: Eurythmics
Depeche Mode
Kate Bush
Nina Simone
The Cars
LL Cool J
My guess:
Dexter wrote: Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Dire Straits
J. Geils Band
MC5
The Moody Blues
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Decisions, decisions...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Man, Radiohead is already eligible for the Hall?

Anyway, if I had to pick 6, here's who it would be:

Radiohead
Kate Bush
The Cars
Dire Straits

Rage Against The Machine
MC5

The top four I chose because I love those artists , and the other two I chose because of their influence on music. There are a lot of options that I didn't chose (including Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Eurythmics and Nina Simone) that arguably have had more influence on music, but this is my list dammit!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I know I really shouldn't care, but I sure hope Kate Bush gets a nod.
It's going to be weird, but Radiohead is almost certain to get a nod, but they probably wouldn't even show up to the ceremony lol
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Radiohead is a lock, but I'd love to see Dire Straits, The Cars, and The Moody Blues make it, although the Moodies sadly have no shot. Kate Bush should make it in just on the strength of Wuthering Heights alone.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

My picks

Nina Simone (gottabe surely...)
Zombies (possible)
Radiohead (probable)
Kate Bush (probable)
The Moody Blues (possible)
Dire Straits (probable)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Her influence is so staggering I’d be curious as to who would even induct Kate Bush. Would they go with culty artists Like Elizabeth Fraser, Lykki Li, St. Vincent, Joanna Newsom, Natasha Khan, Perfume Genius or Fever Ray or would they go mainstream alternative with Björk, Tori, PJ, Sinead or Siouxsie or would they just go flat out superstar like Adele?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Ooooh, that's a good batch. Picking six is sadistic, but if I had to choose:
Nina Simone
Kate Bush
Radiohead
Depeche Mode
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Dire Straits

Big honorable mentions to Judas Priest (how are they not in yet???) and Eurythmics.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

It's always puzzled me that Dire Straits wasn't inducted, or even nominated once. I'm not saying they are the most deserving non inducted band (nor the least though) but they're a popular band with a kind of "guitar hero", within a classic rock format, having sold buttloads of albums, with a bunch of very well songs, decent critical success and big commercial success. That screams Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame to me !
For pretty much the same reason times ten, I'm also puzzled as why Bon Jovi isn't in yet, they'd make a pretty good headliner. For Dire Straits I could imagine that more blues rock loving voters would go to older acts while younger or hipper voters don't care as much, but Bon Jovi, that would seem like a lock.

Can't they get Sister Rosetta Tharpe in the "early influence" wing ?

No way MC5 gets in ! If it took so long for the Stooges to be inducted, MC5 won't get in before the 100th anniversay reedition of Kick out the Jams.
I feel that Radiohead and Nina Simone are pretty safe bets (probably the hardest thing for Nina Simone's induction is to get into the shortlist and send the message "I'm actually eligible for this even if I'm more jazz, r&b or gospel than rock".).
Besides that, it seems to be a pretty even crowd. I'd bet RATM, Bon Jovi and either Dire Straits or the Cars but it's really anything goes.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Best group of nominees I have seen.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Of course,Thom Yorke already said that he isn't that interested in being inducted, but it looks like he'll probably show up if (let's face it, WHEN) they're inducted.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, historically speaking, Moody Blues fans get incredibly butthurt if they aren't on the ballot, so while they don't really have a chance of getting in this year, nows their chance to actually vote for them.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

The Rock HOF thing tends to favour classic rock acts, we all know that. Radiohead probably have a good chance, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Rage Against the Machine, Bon Jovi or Dire Straits get in before them, as preposterous as it may seem to some. Aside from grunge and punk acts - genres which have long been assimilated into classic rock by the press - there hasn't been a lot of alternative rock acts making the HoF in the last decade. Tom Waits in 2011, R.E.M. in 2007...

Yeah, maybe Radiohead will make it.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:The Rock HOF thing tends to favour classic rock acts, we all know that. Radiohead probably have a good chance, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Rage Against the Machine, Bon Jovi or Dire Straits get in before them, as preposterous as it may seem to some. Aside from grunge and punk acts - genres which have long been assimilated into classic rock by the press - there hasn't been a lot of alternative rock acts making the HoF in the last decade. Tom Waits in 2011, R.E.M. in 2007...

Radiohead are just so iconic, more so than even Tom Waits, in that you don't even have to be a music buff to know how important they are. If the Pitchfork crowd had any stake in this, they would be easy inductees. It's been harder to get similarly deserving alt-rock acts like Nick Cave, The Smiths, or The Replacements in because they're slightly more insider baseball (you could also say The Cure is in that bunch, but they had a bunch of hits in both the US and the U.K. so I don't know - too weird?), but Radiohead are capable of selling out stadiums and Depeche Mode have the new wave nostalgia factor working in their favor.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:The Rock HOF thing tends to favour classic rock acts, we all know that. Radiohead probably have a good chance, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if Rage Against the Machine, Bon Jovi or Dire Straits get in before them, as preposterous as it may seem to some. Aside from grunge and punk acts - genres which have long been assimilated into classic rock by the press - there hasn't been a lot of alternative rock acts making the HoF in the last decade. Tom Waits in 2011, R.E.M. in 2007...

Radiohead are just so iconic, more so than even Tom Waits, in that you don't even have to be a music buff to know how important they are. If the Pitchfork crowd had any stake in this, they would be easy inductees. It's been harder to get similarly deserving alt-rock acts like Nick Cave, The Smiths, or The Replacements in because they're slightly more insider baseball (you could also say The Cure is in that bunch, but they had a bunch of hits in both the US and the U.K. so I don't know - too weird?), but Radiohead are capable of selling out stadiums and Depeche Mode have the new wave nostalgia factor working in their favor.
Perhaps, it'll be interesting to see. The casual rock fans I've met in real life tend to listen to Radiohead only for The Bends era singles and sometimes for some songs from OK Computer but that's about all. Now we'll see if the Pitchfork community works as an echo chamber, or if there are really as many people or more people listening to Radiohead out there than there are listening to Dire Straits, Bon Jovi or Judas Priest.

Regarding Depeche Mode, I didn't mention them but yeah, I believe they just have as much chances of making it than Rage Against the Machine. Pretty much a lock to my eyes.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I analyze the Hall a lot (more than I should), so I'm gonna break it down a bit:

Radiohead- easily the most famous and deserving act on the list (to me, at least). Got my hopes up for them.

Rage Against the Machine - the Hall has certainly been building them up as easy inductees when they become eligible (Morello and de la Rocha have inducted people and performed at Hall functions in the past). Undeniably skilled, so they also have a good chance.

Bon Jovi - they've taken an early lead in the fan vote (like Journey and Chicago in years past) so I think they're pretty much guaranteed to get in. When do you think they're gonna run out of worthy classic rock acts?

Depeche Mode - they did well in the vote last year, and like I said, new wave nostalgia factor. This could be their year.

Judas Priest - I'm just kinda flabbergasted that this is their first nomination. Metal has gone woefully underrepresented at the Hall (only Metallica and Black Sabbath so far), so it wouldn't suck if they got in.

Kate Bush - a thousand times yes! And she's doing surprisingly well in the fan vote so far, so maybe!

The Cars - third year in a row they've been nominated. As ever, they're doing fine with the fans, but they'll probably have to wait another year. Too many more important bands and artists this year.

Dire Straits - again, never even nominated before? Technically skilled and a classic rock favorite, so I have a good feeling about them.

Eurythmics - I mean, it wouldn't suck if they got in, but I doubt it. Fan votes would almost certainly be on the basis of Sweet Dreams alone, even with all their other work to consider.

J. Geils Band - they have a sympathy card (their namesake passed away this year), but again, stacked deck, harder to see them making it than last year.

LL Cool J - the time is right, seeing as he's the first rapper to get a Kennedy Center Honor and the Hall has had a good rap track record for the last two years (NWA in 2016, 2pac in 2017). But he's been nominated before and rap is always a harder sell, so while I wouldn't rule him out, I wouldn't call him a guarantee either.

MC5 - definitely deserve it, probably not gonna happen this year.

The Meters - I love 'em, but it's gotten increasingly hard for R&B acts to make it in, and they don't have a ton of outsider recognition.

The Moody Blues - same as the MC5.

Rufus feat. Chaka Khan - Chaka has been nominated solo before, so I don't see why they needed to hitch her to Rufus this time. Again: deserving, not likely.

Nina Simone - I mean, I hope so! Screams "jury favorite," so it'll probably be their vote that gets her in.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - again, took 'em this long? Definitely deserves it. Should be considered an early influence so the vote doesn't affect her.

Link Wray - Probably not, even with Rumble.

The Zombies - last of the major British Invasion bands to not make the cut (unless you count the Monkees). Surprised this hasn't helped them more, but I don't think it's their year either.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I like this quote out of context
The Moody Blues - same as the MC5.
Has there not been an AM Hall of Fame round for a while?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Henrik wrote:Best group of nominees I have seen.
I agree 100%. Of course, I never saw the early lists of nominees that had all of the amazing artists from the 50s and early 60s.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
Henrik wrote:Best group of nominees I have seen.
I agree 100%. Of course, I never saw the early lists of nominees that had all of the amazing artists from the 50s and early 60s.
There have been particularly good years - I'd pinpoint 1986, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2003, 2012, and 2015 in particular as years when everybody inducted deserved it.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

StevieFan13 wrote:I analyze the Hall a lot (more than I should), so I'm gonna break it down a bit:

Radiohead- easily the most famous and deserving act on the list (to me, at least). Got my hopes up for them.
I don't know about the rest of the world, but several of these acts are much more famous than Radiohead in the USA. And Bon Jovi was the biggest live act in the world for many years, especially in Japan.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

Who SHOULD make it IMHO:
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
LL Cool J
Nina Simone
Judas Priest

Who I expect to be inducted:
Radiohead
LL Cool J
Judas Priest
Zombies
MC5
Bon Jovi
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Of course there are good names among those indicted, but R&b is shamelessly left out.

Where's Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston???? :(
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Hymie wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I analyze the Hall a lot (more than I should), so I'm gonna break it down a bit:

I don't know about the rest of the world, but several of these acts are much more famous than Radiohead in the USA. And Bon Jovi was the biggest live act in the world for many years, especially in Japan.
Oh yeah. Come to think of it, Bon Jovi probably is the most famous here. I was thinking critic-wise, but while they do sell out huge venues regularly, they're less accessible and haven't been going as long as Bon Jovi.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Father2TheMan wrote:Who SHOULD make it IMHO:
The Cars
Depeche Mode
Sister Rosetta Tharpe
LL Cool J
Nina Simone
Judas Priest

Who I expect to be inducted:
Radiohead
LL Cool J
Judas Priest
Zombies
MC5
Bon Jovi
I admire your thinking the Zombies and the MC5 have a chance with a class like this. Maybe next year.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, anyone who thinks not actually being a rock star is a hindrance to Nina Simone's induction should talk to Etta James, Miles Davis, Public Enemy, Johnny Cash, Bob Marley, and Madonna, who got in no sweat.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

This is bizarre: they give the first years of eligibility for each of the artists, and according to them, Depeche Mode only became eligible last year. Which is wildly incorrect, since they first qualified in 2006 (25 years after Speak and Spell).
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

No Soundgarden?

I know in this ceremony--unlike other award shows--a recent death does not increase chances per se. But considering how many people on the panel knew Chris personally, I am shocked Soundgarden wasn't nominated.

Radiohead's a no-brainer, though. I won't take the Hall seriously if Radiohead is anything less than a first-ballot inductee.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Bruno wrote:Of course there are good names among those indicted, but R&b is shamelessly left out.

Where's Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston???? :(
Yeah I was wondering about Janet because she was a nominee last year and not this year. Very strange. A little surprised about Mariah and Whitney but not hugely surprised.

Also where is Kraftwerk and The Smiths.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

It would be bonkers and disgraceful if Radiohead weren't inducted, and I'm pretty sure they know that. My friend whose mom is on the Rock Hall committee once told me that personal politics and marketing play a pretty discouraging role in deciding who makes it in. You think it was a coincidence that NWA made it in when Straight Outta Compton was a hugely successful movie, or 2pac around the time of All Eyez on Me? And personal favorites don't matter if you don't make a case for them - Dave Grohl pushed for Bad Brains and Jane's Addiction, but he never played any of their tracks for the board, which shot him in the foot and led to both of them being snubbed (I'd just play the entirety of The Queen is Dead to make my case for The Smiths, and it'd be hard to disagree). The president of the Hall loves Nick Cave, but he's never been that marketable, and the Cure have had a hard time 'cuz they'd look weird on HBO (didn't bother MTV any in their heyday, but that's none of my business...). Are there flukes? Of course - I have no idea where the fuck Tom Waits came from, glad as I am that he received the honor. But the board needs to plead their cases, and the fans have to vote (though it doesn't sway them that much. Only #1 is a surefire guarantee, so that's why Bon Jovi are actually the safest bet for the class of 2018).

Yeah, sobering, but I still see the Hall as an honor. Imperfect politics, to be sure.

(For the record, marketing as a benefit for rappers does serve to help LL's chances, given his recent success with the Grammys and Lip Sync Battle, making him probably the most well-remembered '80s rapper among rap novices. Save for maybe Run-DMC or Public Enemy.)
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Feels like these threads pop up every few months, doesn't it?

My prediction (mixture of probability and personal taste):

Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
MC5
Zombies
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

bootsy- neither Whitney or Mariah have been huge critical favorites trough the years. But, neither were Journey, Neil Diamond, etc.- so, it may just take some time for them to get considered. While Mariah co-wrote most of her material, unlike Whitney, I still think the Hall would consider her first.

Here's the nominees' rundown for this year. As usual, some nominees have been waiting a LONG time for their first nod.

* Bon Jovi- 10th year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Kate Bush- 15th year of eligibility; First nomination
* The Cars- 15th year of eligibility; Third nomination
* Depeche Mode- 12th year of eligibility; Second nomination
* Dire Straits- 15th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Eurythmics- 12th year of eligibility; First nomination
* J. Geils Band- 23rd year of eligibility; Fifth nomination
* Judas Priest- 18th year of eligibility; First nomination
* LL Cool J- Ninth year of eligibility; Fourth nomination
* MC5- 27th year of eligibility; Third nomination
* The Meters- 24th year of eligibility; Fourth nomination
* The Moody Blues- 29th year of eligibility; First nomination
* Radiohead- First year of eligibility; First nomination
* Rage Against the Machine- First year of eligibility; First nomination
* Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- 19th year of eligibility; Second nomination (Khan had two solo nominations in recent years)
* Nina Simone- 33rd year of eligibility; First nomination
* Sister Rosetta Tharpe- 33rd year of eligibility; First nomination
* Link Wray- 33rd year of eligibility; Second nomination
* The Zombies- 29th year of eligibility; Third nomination
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

My predictions

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Dire Straits
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J

I don't think Radiohead is as big of lock as you guys think. I could easily see it taking years for Radiohead to get inducted.
There is No More Firmament.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

ordinaryperson wrote:My predictions

Bon Jovi
The Cars
Dire Straits
J. Geils Band
Judas Priest
LL Cool J

I don't think Radiohead is as big of lock as you guys think. I could easily see it taking years for Radiohead to get inducted.
As I said earlier, I agree with you about Radiohead, I'm really not as sure as many seem to believe that they'll make it directly. Regarding your predictions, I agree except that I'd swap one of them for Rage Against the Machine, as it's the one lock I'm almost certain about, and another for Depeche Mode, as I don't see any reason for them not to make it.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

God, it'd be so embarrassing for the Hall if Radiohead didn't get in. Years and years of strong sales, and strong music press along the lines of "There's Radiohead, then there's everyone else."
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

I am shocked there is even a discussion of Radiohead getting in. As the most acclaimed artist and one of the most popular "serious" bands of the past 25 years, they are an absolute lock. Plus they don't have the "uncool" "pretentious" factor that delayed the entrance of some other artists.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

veganvalentine wrote:I am shocked there is even a discussion of Radiohead getting in. As the most acclaimed artist and one of the most popular "serious" bands of the past 25 years, they are an absolute lock. Plus they don't have the "uncool" "pretentious" factor that delayed the entrance of some other artists.
Except it's the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame we're talking about, which leans completely toward classic rock. As StevieFan13 pointed out, the act that took the lead in the fan vote is Bon Jovi. That tells a lot.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I would be absolutely stunned if Radiohead didn't get in; and the main reason is, by now, the HOF is probably well aware of their "not-so-cool" reputation, and this (in their eyes) will be a great opportunity to dispel that label. (Although I think this is an easy choice for them, since Radiohead has had some mainstream success. Since this should be a slam-dunk, I'll be more impressed when they start nominating/inducting artists like Bjork and Portishead.)

Really happy for The Moody Blues. Their landmark symphonic/prog/concept album came out in 1967, and I still can't figure out why they often get a bad rap. Of course, it's personal for me, since "Nights in White Satin" is my all-time favorite song. (I've never understood why it has fallen out of favor in many circles, either, except possibly for it being overplayed on Classic Rock stations.)

This is an outstanding group overall, though. The only one that jumped out to be as not belonging was the J Geils band (though I do enjoy them). But I'm sure there would be many who disagree with me...
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Here's Billboard's odds:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... -induction

THE METERS
...they remain somewhat publicly anonymous, unfamiliar to casual voters and lacking in the major hits and widely acknowledged classic LPs that typically mark a RRHOF act.
Odds: 15 to 1

SISTER ROSETTA THARPE
She'll likely have a better chance as getting in to the Rock Hall under the "Early Influences" banner than as a performer.
Odds: 15 to 1

J. GEILS BAND
...it's not like the group is looking like a more logical inductee with each passing year. However, they may end up a sentimental pick for some: Geils, the band's titular guitarist and leader, died earlier this year at age 71.
Odds: 12 to 1

RUFUS FEATURING CHAKA KHAN
...it seems unlikely that Chaka will make it into the Hall with her somewhat lesser-remembered backing band, when she now stands as much more of a solo icon -- and has had a hard-enough time making it in as such.

LINK WRAY
...how many voters are all that familiar with his music beyond "Rumble" and "Raw Hide"?

MOODY BLUES
...if The Moody Blues were inducted in 2018, it wouldn't exactly say a ton for the Rock Hall's efforts to stay contemporary. Not impossible, though: You can never totally count out the Boomer bands, and the Moody Blues have a sizeable fanbase that remains active a half-century later.
Odds: 10 to 1

DIRE STRAITS
The band's general lack of critical acclaim might not be a dealbreaker; Steve Miller Band and Chicago didn't need it when they were inducted in 2016. But while neither of those bands produced a blockbuster LP on the level of the Straits' Brothers in Arms, they also had a much more undeniable run of contemporary rock/pop domination; Dire Straits only ever had one hot 100 top 40 hit outside of Brothers.

EURYTHMICS
The fact that they're being considered at all shows the Rock Hall may finally be dipping its entire foot into the new-wave era, but the first acts from the era to be inducted will probably still be a little more conventional than Annie and Dave.

JUDAS PRIEST
The Rock Hall has been historically inhospitable to metal bands. That makes it unlikely Priest gets in as a first-timer, but increased acceptance of metal's place in rock history and general reverence for the band as trailblazers at least gives 'em a shot.

KATE BUSH
...a lack of traditional U.S. success hurts: Bush only ever had Hot 100 top 40 hit and one RIAA-certified Gold album, which combined with her lack of clear genre definition may prove untenable for induction as a first-timer.
Odds: 8 to 1

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
...the bands they were mostly influential on aren't exactly Rock Hall types, and their thin back catalog -- just three albums of originals before splitting around the turn of the century -- might be too slight to hang a first-year induction on.
Odds: 6 to 1

DEPECHE MODE
The good news for Depeche Mode in their second-straight year of nomination is that even more idiosyncratic contemporaries of theirs are now being considered, and they're the ones from the bunch who are still selling out arenas worldwide... They'll almost certainly get in someday, but 2018 may remain a couple years premature.
Odds: 5 to 1

THE ZOMBIES
Their relatively limited catalog and lack of classic-rock muscle will keep them from ever being a shoo-in, but they were previously nominated in 2014 and 2017, and their cult just continues to grow.
Odds: 4 to 1

THE MC5
Every year, the pool of cult rock groups with a widely recognizable name, image and ethos gets shallower, and you gotta figure eventually MC5 will stick out enough for them to get plucked from induction. Whether or not it's this year depends on how passionate voters feel about some of the artists still to come on this ranking.
Odds: 4 to 1

THE CARS
Though their pop sheen and lack of acerbic edge may make them a minor stretch for Rock Hall voters who tend to prefer Elvis Costello, c'mon -- their first album alone earns them permanent real estate on classic rock radio, and their Greatest Hits can go 10 rounds with Steve Miller Band or Chicago any day. Put 'em in already.
Odds: 3 to 1

LL COOL J
If you want a rapper who scans as a rock star, you're not gonna do much better than James Todd Smith... He's beyond iconic for his genre and for American pop culture... No excuse for his exclusion, though his 0-fer so far is discouraging.
Odds: 3 to 1

NINA SIMONE
No point in recounting Simone's singular artistry here; suffice to say, she remains as relevant and as vital an artist as is currently eligible for the Rock Hall without already being enshrined inside its walls. But it'd be naive to not acknowledge that when comes to artists of Miss Simone's race, gender and genre, Rock Hall inclusion is rarely as simple as it should be.
Odds: 5 to 2

BON JOVI
...the people have spoken, and with Journey seeing induction in their first year nominated, it seems only logical that their successors in arena-rock (and karaoke-night) supremacy should follow them in next year.
Odds: 2 to 1

RADIOHEAD
Radiohead don't quite have the commercial success you'd traditionally associate with an RRHOF no-doubter, but their respect level among critics and peers for their 25-year catalog of shape-shifting art rock is so overwhelming that it's hard to see a way they get denied even in their first year of eligibility.
Odds: Even money, maybe off the board altogether
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

I predict:

Radiohead
Nina Simone
Bon Jovi
The Cars
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

People seem pretty positive about The Cars. Maybe this is their year.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

I'm pleasantly surprised to see some other Moody Blues fans on here. I kinda figured I was the only in the AT thread to vote for On the Threshold of a Dream and Seventh Sojourn.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

OK, current fan vote standings: Bon Jovi is winning, with the Moody Blues, Dire Straits, The Cars, and Eurythmics rounding out the top 5. Unsurprisingly, classic rock and new wave lead the pack (Judas Priest and Depeche Mode aren't too far behind). Also unsurprisingly (albeit disappointingly), Kate Bush and LL Cool J will likely need the jury vote to actually get in (why can't they go back to twelve inductees like the old days? Makes the show too long?). Radiohead are in the top 10, but aren't close to taking the fan vote.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Wait, so does the winner of the fan vote actually get inducted automatically? I thought the fan vote would count as one ballot in the actual jury vote?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:Radiohead are in the top 10, but aren't close to taking the fan vote.
That at least confirms one of my assumptions: the readerships of Classic Rock and Pitchfork don't cross over much :P Now, we'll see what the opinion of the jury will be.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Krurze wrote:Wait, so does the winner of the fan vote actually get inducted automatically? I thought the fan vote would count as one ballot in the actual jury vote?
Yes it just counts as one ballot, might influence the voters though
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:
Krurze wrote:Wait, so does the winner of the fan vote actually get inducted automatically? I thought the fan vote would count as one ballot in the actual jury vote?
Yes it just counts as one ballot, might influence the voters though
The top vote-getter typically gets in, but the rest aren't a sure deal (they usually are, but The Cars made the top 5 for the last two years and missed out to NWA in 2016 and Joan Baez and 2Pac in 2017, neither of whom were in the top 5).
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

So far Radiohead is not in the top 5 in fan voting.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

No doubt Bon Jovi will get the fan votes and get inducted. Radiohead will also get in through the committee votes. It's the other 4 inductees that's a blur but if the committee members get swayed by the fans then Moody Blues, Dire Straits, The Cars and Eurythmics will get in, though I'd rather take out Dire Straits and Eurythmics for Nina Simone and Kate Bush.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Interesting analysis of this year's ballot.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... -2018.html

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”