✅ Spectrum Culture - 100 Best Songs of the '90s (2017)

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

✅ Spectrum Culture - 100 Best Songs of the '90s (2017)

Post by StevieFan13 »

http://spectrumculture.com/2017/06/15/1 ... 0s-100-91/
Here we go again! First Melodrama and now this. My kind of night.
100. Built to Spill - Car
99. Fugazi - Turnover
98. Missy Elliott - Beep Me 911
97. Hole - Violet
96. Nas - N.Y. State of Mind
95. Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh Comely
94. Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See a Darkness
93. Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonnaise
92. Madonna - Vogue
91. Dinosaur Jr. - The Wagon
90. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time
89. The Notorious B.I.G. feat. Puff Daddy and Mase - Mo Money, Mo Problems
88. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up?
87. Bjork - Joga
86. A Tribe Called Quest - I Left My Wallet in El Segundo
85. Bell Biv Devoe - Poison
84. My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes
83. Built to Spill - I Would Hurt a Fly
82. Yo La Tengo - Sugarcube
81. Beck - Jack-Ass
80. Air - La Femme D'Argent
79. Radiohead - Just
78. Weezer - Buddy Holly
77. Sleater-Kinney - I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
76. Nirvana - Drain You
75. The Orb - Little Fluffy Clouds
74. The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize
73. Blur - Girls & Boys
72. Wilco - Via Chicago
71. Faith No More - Midlife Crisis
70. Foo Fighters - Everlong
69. Sonic Youth - The Diamond Sea
68. Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun
67. Daft Punk - Da Funk
66. Jane's Addiction - Stop!
65. 2Pac - Hail Mary
64. Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl
63. My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
62. Warren G feat. Nate Dogg - Regulate
61. Fiona Apple - Criminal
60. Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
59. Erykah Badu - Other Side of the Game
58. TLC -Waterfalls
57. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
56. Destiny's Child - Say My Name
55. Radiohead - Lucky
54. Madonna - Ray of Light
53. The Beta Band - Dry the Rain
52. R.E.M. - Country Feedback
51. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
50. Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
49. Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
48. Aaliyah - Are You That Somebody?
47. Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
46. Fatboy Slim - Praise You
45. Guns N' Roses - November Rain
44. Oasis - Live Forever
43. Radiohead - Karma Police
42. Neil Young - Harvest Moon
41. Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
40. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
39. Fugees - Ready or Not
38. A Tribe Called Quest feat. Leaders of the New School - Scenario
37. Teenage Fanclub - The Concept
36. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
35. Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945
34. Guided by Voices - Game of Pricks
33. Nirvana - All Apologies
32. Weezer - Say It Ain't So
31. Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, Part II
30. Oasis - Champagne Supernova
29. George Michael - Freedom '90
28. Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
27. Green Day - Longview
26. R.E.M. - Nightswimming
25. Pavement - Cut Your Hair
24. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
23. Snoop Dogg - Gin & Juice
22. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
21. My Bloody Valentine - Soon
20. Bjork - Hyperballad
19. The Breeders - Cannonball
18. The Flaming Lips - Waitin' for Superman
17. Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Dogg - Nuthin' But a "G" Thang
16. The Notorious B.I.G. - Juicy
15. DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World
14. Beastie Boys - So What'cha Want
13. R.E.M. - Losing My Religion
12. Nine Inch Nails - Closer
11. The La's - There She Goes
10. Pavement - Gold Soundz
9. Ice Cube - It Was a Good Day
8. The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
7. Beck - Loser
6. Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence
5. Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
4. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. Pulp - Common People
2. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
1. Smashing Pumpkins - 1979
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: Spectrum Culture - 100 Best Songs of the '90s (2017)

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Jesus, THIS again? It's like there's some sort of conspiracy to get Henrik to delay the update even further.

Great list so far.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Jesus, THIS again? It's like there's some sort of conspiracy to get Henrik to delay the update even further.

Great list so far.
Only 10 weeks, baby. 2 months and a little more of this shit. I know now that I should just make adding from this list my project instead of going for any more lists.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Early predictions:
- The Cure - Friday I'm in Love (considering how well the Cure did on the last list, I'd be really surprised if this didn't show up)
- Britpop - Oasis, the Verve, and Pulp are all pretty much guaranteed, and I have a pretty good feeling Blur will land a few songs as well
- Grunge - Nirvana of course; where "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will place is up in the air, but I can't imagine them leaving it off entirely ("All Apologies" is probably also a safe bet). Pearl Jam stand a good chance, and with the passing of Chris Cornell, it'd be inconceivable for them to leave off Soundgarden.
- Other alt-rock - probably Beck, No Doubt, Alanis Morissette, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd also imagine R.E.M. will show up a few times, likely with choice tracks from Automatic for the People (and, of course, "Losing My Religion"). Knowing their fondness for singer-songwriters, Elliott Smith and Jeff Buckley also stand a good chance of making the cut (and maaayyybeee Tori Amos? A guy can hope). Oh, and probably Fiona Apple and hopefully Sleater-Kinney.
- Electronic - Underworld's "Born Slippy" and anything from Daft Punk's Homework are safe bets. Fatboy Slim too, possibly.
- New Radicals - You Get What You Give (feels like the kind of song they'd feature)
- Pop - Harder to place, as SC's pop tastes were all over the place on the last countdown. Mariah will probably show up. Maybe another Madonna track? The rest is pretty much up in the air.
- Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (I think leaving this song off a '90s list might actually be a federal offense)
- Rap - again, up in the air, as the '80s list included some accepted classics ("Walk This Way," "Fight the Power") and left off a few others ("The Message," "Planet Rock"). They already have Nas, a relatively deep cut, and a Missy song that isn't "The Rain," so I'd bet that Biggie, 2Pac, and Dre are all likely going to put in appearances, and possibly OutKast. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" is a very psychological rap song, and "Tha Crossroads" and "Jump Around" are just poppy enough to hit that happy medium, but again, I can't be sure. The list started off unpredictably enough that anything other than the obvious stuff is completely up for debate.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Jesus, THIS again? It's like there's some sort of conspiracy to get Henrik to delay the update even further.

Great list so far.
Only 10 weeks, baby. 2 months and a little more of this shit. I know now that I should just make adding from this list my project instead of going for any more lists.
A simple suggestion: it would be better for Henrik to add this list when it's complete, so don't cause more delays to the final update.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:

Great list so far.
A simple suggestion: it would be better for Henrik to add this list when it's complete, so don't cause more delays to the final update.
I just contacted the people at Spectrum Culture to see if they might be able to send a draft of the completed list, in which case we might not have to wait. I'd have to send it directly to Henrik, though, as I promised we wouldn't post any of it on the forum until the list is completely posted.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

90-81 have been added, and all my preconceptions are out the window now. Who knows where the fuck this'll go? I do question their including What's Up (a song I've never particularly liked) and El Segundo (one of my lesser-favorite Tribe songs), but hey, at least Britney showed up.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 80-71 are now added. A couple of obligatory favorites (Girls & Boys, Buddy Holly) and a whole lot of off-center picks. Definitely not your typical list.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:#s 80-71 are now added. A couple of obligatory favorites (Girls & Boys, Buddy Holly) and a whole lot of off-center picks. Definitely not your typical list.
If you say so... "La Femme d'argent", "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" and "Little Fluffy Clouds" are all obligatory favorites to me :P ;)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

As for my list of predictions so far, I've been right about Blur, Nirvana, Beck, Biggie, and Sleater-Kinney. Whether any of them will make further appearances on the list is hard to tell (though I'd be surprised if Nirvana and Beck didn't).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

No update?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bruno wrote:No update?
I don't think it's updated yet, unless I'm mistaken.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 70-61 have been added, and it's a really good bunch this time. Check off Fiona Apple, 2Pac, and Daft Punk, plus "Everlong" and "Only Shallow" (both too low for my tastes).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 60-51 have been added
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 50-41 have been added, and I like them all.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

More check-offs: Oasis (I really hope this isn't their only song on the list, good as it may be), Fatboy Slim. In terms of hip-hop, "Rebirth of Slick" and "Humpty Dance" are weird enough to fit the tastes of SC, so it makes sense.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 40-31 have been added. Three more weeks to go! Pretty dude-heavy this time around, but good picks (especially all-time top 40 tracks "Shook Ones, Part II" and "All Apologies").
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Fascinating how well Radiohead is doing - 5 songs already and we haven't even hit the top 30! (I'm guessing "Paranoid Android" will earn highest marks, and maybe "Creep" unless they're too cool to admit it's a classic).
My other picks are looking a little more up in the air. There was a sizable gap between The Cure's first song on the '80s list and their second ("A Strange Day" was near the bottom, "Pictures of You" was #8), so there's every chance they'll stake a claim in the top 30. I'd still guess "Bitter Sweet Symphony," "Nothing Compares 2 U," and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" will make their obligatory appearances (how high, I don't know), but it's looking uncertain for Alanis and the Chilis.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

#s 30-21 have been added. Almost at the home stretch! More songs for R.E.M. and Oasis, plus pleasant surprises in the form of Freedom '90 and Gin & Juice.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Interesting list so far.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Top 20 predictions:
- Juicy
- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Nothing Compares 2 U
- Nuthin' But a "G" Thang
- Loser
- Common People
- Bitter Sweet Symphony
- Wonderwall
Wild card picks (less sure about these):
- Black Hole Sun
- Under the Bridge
- Losing My Religion
- Born Slippy
- Friday I'm in Love
- The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Closer and closer! #s 20-11 have been added. Check off Juicy, G Thang, and Losing My Religion. I've lost hope for the Chilis and Pearl Jam now, and I don't feel too confident about Friday I'm in Love either. I had forgotten about Cannonball, Hyperballad, There She Goes, and Midnight in a Perfect World, which in hindsight are pretty obvious choices. So, the tentative top 10. What's it gonna be? Hypothetically speaking, the songs that I think have the safest bet at the top 10 are:
- Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Nothing Compares 2 U
- Bitter Sweet Symphony
- Loser
- Common People
- Paranoid Android
But that only takes care of a little more than half. I'm not sure if Teen Spirit will top it or if a song like Black Hole Sun will come right the fuck out of nowhere to take #1 (and considering Billie Jean lost out to the slightly less obvious Just Like Heaven on the '80s list, I wouldn't put them past front-loading the really iconic songs, just not putting the most obvious at #1). There isn't an obvious artist like Prince to seize multiple spots in the top 10, as far as I can tell - most of the other famous artists have had a lot of songs scattered throughout the list instead of all at once (there are already five Radiohead songs, so I'd be surprised if there were too many more to fit in). Wonderwall is a safe wild card, but I'm not sure how much Britpop they're willing to throw into the top 10.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wait! I take that back - two acts I could potentially see scoring multiple songs in the top 10 are Oasis (Don't Look Back in Anger and Wonderwall) and Radiohead (Paranoid Android and something else - possibly Creep, but maybe Let Down). No other acts come to mind that could do that. As for rap, which has done quite well on this list all things considered, there aren't too many songs to think of that they've left out. Only things left I can think of are a 2Pac joint (Dear Mama most likely, possibly California Love), Mind Playing Tricks on Me, or It Was a Good Day. At this point, it's probably too late to hope something like Tha Crossroads could make it on.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And we're DONE! #s 10-1 have been added and the list is complete. Somehow, I forgot about Smashing Pumpkins, and while it's odd to not have "Teen Spirit" take its customary spot at #1, "1979" is as good a pick as any. I was also entirely accurate about half the top 10, and I'm surprised that I nailed "It Was a Good Day" as well (the rest were, in hindsight, somewhat obvious and I don't know how I didn't think of them before).
So, in terms of big snubs, no Chilis, no U2, no "Black Hole Sun," no "Mind Playing Tricks on Me," no "Born Slippy," and no "Wonderwall." Only one Blur song too, which I didn't expect (although it's an American site, so maybe I should've seen it coming). And my long-standing belief that their love for The Cure would seep into the '90s list was, alas, not to be.
The stats:
- Radiohead: 6
- My Bloody Valentine: 3
- Nirvana: 3
- R.E.M.: 3
- A Tribe Called Quest: 2
- Beastie Boys: 2
- Beck: 2
- Bjork: 2
- The Flaming Lips: 2
- Madonna: 2
- Neutral Milk Hotel: 2
- Nine Inch Nails: 2
- The Notorious B.I.G.: 2
- Oasis: 2
- Smashing Pumpkins: 2
- Snoop Dogg: 2
- Weezer: 2

Return to “1990s”