When will the 2017 update come?

NUMASIOI
Debut

When will the 2017 update come?

Post by NUMASIOI »

Hello, I am going through the list of the top 6000 songs of all time, and trying to listen to them all. I doubt I am going to get through them any time soon, so I was wondering when the 2017 update might come, and how different it will be. Will most of the current list still stand?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: When will the 2017 update come?

Post by StevieFan13 »

NUMASIOI wrote:Hello, I am going through the list of the top 6000 songs of all time, and trying to listen to them all. I doubt I am going to get through them any time soon, so I was wondering when the 2017 update might come, and how different it will be. Will most of the current list still stand?
Welcome to the forum! I believe the next update is due sometime before the summer, but I'm not sure.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I said that I would try to make an update rather quickly after the EOY spreadsheets are complete, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. The best case scenario is that the update will be during the summer.

Those of you who are new here are not aware that I have had, and still have, some health issues. Since I made that post about a year ago, I have gotten even better, but I'm far from 100% ok. And the work on the site update (or any computer work, especially in the evenings), is not helping me at all.

What most of you don't know is that in the end of 2015, I separated from my then-wife. That's all good though. We are still good friends and the kids, now 9 and 7, are fine I think. They now have parents who are always happy to see them instead of always being tired.

Since the separation I have had more time for AM. But, so far it's all in my spreadsheets. I have the kids half the time and that's mainly why I might be a bit on and off (although I can never resist checking for new forum posts on my mobile!) with my forum responses. When I don't have the kids I usually work quite a lot on the site update, but sometimes I'm just not up for it. I still often get headache when I spend a lot of time at the computer, which deterioriates my sleep.

So, why am I still doing this at all, you might ask? Because I love it of course! I can tell you that none of you is more eager than me to know what kind of impact a new critics' list might have on the all-time lists. But I have to care for my health first. Last weekend I didn't have the kids, but I decided to just exercise and rest. I barely touched the computer and I have to admit it felt really good...

I have perhaps set the bar too high with the 10,000 songs update (adding LOTS of songs lists) and the new design, none of which are nearly completed tasks. I do think that I will make it one day though, and that it will be pretty awesome when I do. But to make the update, I need a long time-off from work. That's why I say summer is the best case scenario for the next update. I will not have a long holiday before then.

However, if I get preliminary all-time results of the 2016 albums and songs before summer, I could post those here in the forum, if you would like that.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:I said that I would try to make an update rather quickly after the EOY spreadsheets are complete, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. The best case scenario is that the update will be during the summer.

Those of you who are new here are not aware that I have had, and still have, some health issues. Since I made that post about a year ago, I have gotten even better, but I'm far from 100% ok. And the work on the site update (or any computer work, especially in the evenings), is not helping me at all.

What most of you don't know is that in the end of 2015, I separated from my then-wife. That's all good though. We are still good friends and the kids, now 9 and 7, are fine I think. They now have parents who are always happy to see them instead of always being tired.

Since the separation I have had more time for AM. But, so far it's all in my spreadsheets. I have the kids half the time and that's mainly why I might be a bit on and off (although I can never resist checking for new forum posts on my mobile!) with my forum responses. When I don't have the kids I usually work quite a lot on the site update, but sometimes I'm just not up for it. I still often get headache when I spend a lot of time at the computer, which deterioriates my sleep.

So, why am I still doing this at all, you might ask? Because I love it of course! I can tell you that none of you is more eager than me to know what kind of impact a new critics' list might have on the all-time lists. But I have to care for my health first. Last weekend I didn't have the kids, but I decided to just exercise and rest. I barely touched the computer and I have to admit it felt really good...

I have perhaps set the bar too high with the 10,000 songs update (adding LOTS of songs lists) and the new design, none of which are nearly completed tasks. I do think that I will make it one day though, and that it will be pretty awesome when I do. But to make the update, I need a long time-off from work. That's why I say summer is the best case scenario for the next update. I will not have a long holiday before then.

However, if I get preliminary all-time results of the 2016 albums and songs before summer, I could post those here in the forum, if you would like that.
I hear you loud and clear, Henrik. You're a good man, and your health is of utmost importance. Glad to hear you're doing alright, and thanks for giving all us music-lovers such a nice playground to explore. Sorry if I've been bombarding the site with lists lately.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Thanks for all the hard work, Henrik, and I'm glad that you are taking care of yourself! Also, I've been loving your signature.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Glad to hear your health is improving, but sad to hear you separated from your wife. I hope you're still doing fine regardless of those hurdles.

I'll share StevieFan13's apology about the lists. When I find a list I want to post here I just can't resist, even though I know it'll be more work for you further down the line.

Take your time, and take care of you first and foremost. This website and the community and friendships that built around it are a magnificent achievement already and something you can be proud of regardless of any delays in the "mighty" update.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

No problem, StevieFan13 and Pierre!

To be honest, when lots of lists are being posted during a short time, I get somewhat mixed feelings. While I love to discover more lists it is also stressful. But I'm always grateful for more lists. It's the increasing awareness that there are so many eligible lists "out there" that bugs me.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:No problem, StevieFan13 and Pierre!

To be honest, when lots of lists are being posted during a short time, I get somewhat mixed feelings. While I love to discover more lists it is also stressful. But I'm always grateful for more lists. It's the increasing awareness that there are so many eligible lists "out there" that bugs me.
I hear that. I'm a bit "listed out" myself. Unless one of the major sites comes up with a new eligible list, I'll probably break from lists for a while.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Glad to hear you're doing better; very sorry to hear about your family situation but good to know you seem to be dealing with it with a positive attitude.

As the kids say (are they saying it?), you do you, Henrik. Take care of yourself and take as much time as you need with the update. That said, your suggestion about posting the preliminary all-time ranks for 2016 albums and songs is a great one and would be most welcome. Thanks as always for the gift of this site and all you do!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thank you for sharing with us, Henrik. I wish you and your family the very best, and hope that you continue to feel better. Please take your time with the update and enjoy the other aspects of your life as much as you can. I can only speak for myself, but when I have monumental tasks that I know will take a lot of time, I throw any deadlines to the wind and just break it into small parts that I work on when I have time. I hope I don't upset anyone eagerly awaiting the update when I say this, but I think it would be great for you and your health if you didn't target any specific date (such as this summer) and just work on the update whenever you feel up to it. All of the resources (especially the people) who make this site great are always available, so I wouldn't want you to ever feel pressure to do more. Take good care of yourself, everything else is secondary.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Henrik, you are the rock that holds this community together, and I wish you and your family health and happiness in the best and worst of times. Take care.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

All the best for you, Henrik. It's what I want for you.

I want to leave my opinion that I am absolutely sure that you make countless music fans much happier with your wonderful website.

We hope you have the best recovery possible!

You are the man!
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Thanks for being so candid with what's going on in your life, Henrik. Personal care should always come first. I'm glad to hear that you still find it enjoyable to continue to update the site but I'm sure you know that you're under no obligation to do anything else - you've given us enough musical data to pore over for the rest of our lives. (Last time I checked I had well over 2000 of the Top 3000 albums to listen to!).

I hope your recovery continues speedily along, and that the rest of 2017 brings you health and happiness.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Have a speedy recovery Henrik!

I really hope that at some point there could be a decision that no more lists are added to the update. Otherwise it could become that new lists are posted at a faster rate that they can be processed and the update will never happen. For example if the update came in 2018, I wouldn't mind there being no albums included from 2017.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:Have a speedy recovery Henrik!

I really hope that at some point there could be a decision that no more lists are added to the update. Otherwise it could become that new lists are posted at a faster rate that they can be processed and the update will never happen. For example if the update came in 2018, I wouldn't mind there being no albums included from 2017.
Well, I do think there should be a cutoff date, like at some point Henrik just says, "Alright! Fine! We get it! Lots of lists. Let's cool it for now and you can dump a bunch six months or so after this update." And then just make an exception for the year-end lists if they come during that time.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Like, maybe wait, and then have a big dump all at once until he says enough and then we leave it be until the year-end lists.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik, I am embarrassed to say that I did not know that you were having any health issues. May I join the chorus of others in wishing you all the best. Your health is obviously more important than any update. I'm glad that you are still enthusiastic enough about this site to continue posting despite the difficulty. May you have a full recovery!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I think the best will be not sending more lists because Henrik could never finish to make it :(
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

panam wrote:I think the best will be not sending more lists because Henrik could never finish to make it :(
Yeah this is how I feel. Let the man breathe for a little bit, come up for air. I know Henrik said he welcomed more lists but he isn't a robot at least I don't think he is. :-P As a person who's dealt with some health issues recently it takes a lot out of you each and every day. Anyway do what you feel is best for you Henrik, I hope you get better but more importantly hope you are getting the help/assistance you need now. Best wishes and can't wait for the update.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I just want to let you know that after I made the response above, it felt like a good time to keep the AM work "to a minimum" for a while and see how that makes me feel.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Sending thoughts of good health your way, Henrik. Sorry to hear of the personal misfortune, but it's good that you've been able to maintain a friendship.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Guys, especially Stevie, I thought you were going to tone it down a bit. There's been an increase of action lately on the "Critics' list" thread lately. It's frankly kinda exhausting.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:Guys, especially Stevie, I thought you were going to tone it down a bit. There's been an increase of action lately on the "Critics' list" thread lately. It's frankly kinda exhausting.
I'm done, man. I literally can't find any more now. And most of the ones I've found have been declared ineligible.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

The last thing I want to do is drag the update out further, so you won't hear a peep out of me, list-wise. I mean it this time.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:The last thing I want to do is drag the update out further, so you won't hear a peep out of me, list-wise. I mean it this time.
FWIW you did an awesome job. Some true gems you found out there.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:The last thing I want to do is drag the update out further, so you won't hear a peep out of me, list-wise. I mean it this time.
Aw. gawrsh... :mrgreen: Just doing what it takes to make sure this site is as accurate a picture of the world's most acclaimed music as possible. Even if it involves Twisted Sister.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Aw. gawrsh... :mrgreen: Just doing what it takes to make sure this site is as accurate a picture of the world's most acclaimed music as possible. Even if it involves Twisted Sister.
On my side, I could have done without piling up acclaim for Ted Nugent.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:
Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to be critical of Stevie's valuable work this time around. I was just concerned about Henrik's health. Honestly, thanks, Stevie, panam, and Bruno for your work.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to be critical of Stevie's valuable work this time around. I was just concerned about Henrik's health. Honestly, thanks, Stevie, panam, and Bruno for your work.
Not a problem! I also think Henrik's health is a top priority, so unless I see a big, eligible one we've somehow missed, I'm not posting any more lists for a while.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Oh I know you didn't babydoll. Thanks
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

What would happen if everybody stops and Henrik sent us what he got! ;)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote:What would happen if everybody stops and Henrik sent us what he got! ;)
Given that there's nothing left to add, I don't see why not. The well hath run dry.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Henrik wrote:I said that I would try to make an update rather quickly after the EOY spreadsheets are complete, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen. The best case scenario is that the update will be during the summer.

Hey Henrik,

This probably does not mean much from such a long time lurker like me. I love this site and all the hard work that goes into it, including all the members who keep coming up with wonderful polls to participate in. I appreciate all of those. Keep up the great work. This site has given me lots of reading and listening pleasure throughout the years. I have discovered sooooo much new music because of it. I am very thankful. I hope your health improves. Waiting patiently for next big reveal.
Viguen
I'm New Here

Post by Viguen »

Hi Henrik,

Another long time lurker (though I used to post a little when I had an account before). I love this site and recommend it to a lot of people as a great resource. I just want to offer that I echo all of the folks wishing you well. I hope your health continues to improve. Please take your time. We all appreciate your hard work.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Summer..coming soon :)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

panam wrote:Summer..coming soon :)
It's been our experience, panam, that when Henrik says an update is coming in "summer" it usually ends up being closer to the end of summer than the beginning. And summer isn't coming that soon.

Given the enormous volume of lists being posted, along with everything going on in Henrik's offline life, I can't help but wonder if the update timeline might be shifting. Which is perfectly fine - everything is up to him. I'm willing to wait as long as is necessary.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I've run dry again, so Henrik can take as much time as he pleases.
letmeintomyzone
Different Class

Post by letmeintomyzone »

I guess this is a appropriate thread to ask, but is Lemonade the only other 2016 album (Blackstar being a lock to hit the top 200), to have a high spot on the AM 250 next year?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

letmeintomyzone wrote:I guess this is a appropriate thread to ask, but is Lemonade the only other 2016 album (Blackstar being a lock to hit the top 200), to have a high spot on the AM 250 next year?
Lemonade will almost certainly make the top 500, but top 250 would be a stretch, I think. It's on track to be one of the top five albums of 2016, along with Blackstar, A Moon Shaped Pool, Skeleton Tree, and Blonde.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

StevieFan13 wrote:I've run dry again, so Henrik can take as much time as he pleases.
Your work is incredible, I only hope Henrik don't have any problem.

Blessings
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I've run dry again, so Henrik can take as much time as he pleases.
Your work is incredible, I only hope Henrik don't have any problem.

Blessings
Much appreciated, man. Yeah, I'm holding back on looking for more to give Henrik a little time to breathe (and, unless someone gets the jump on me, I might try and add some stuff to the album spreadsheet). But I'm also in Israel at the moment, so if I find an Israeli music list (hey, it could happen - I just hope it isn't in Hebrew, as I don't speak it, or if it is than it's about English albums) I'll post one of those.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Dying of thirst about this update....
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

mowino wrote:Dying of thirst about this update....
Patience, grasshopper.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I confess, I'm hoping we have some news soon as well, however minimal it might be. What I'm really hoping for is a list of albums (2016 and otherwise) that will be added in the next update.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
I confess, I'm hoping we have some news soon as well, however minimal it might be. What I'm really hoping for is a list of albums (2016 and otherwise) that will be added in the next update.
Yeah, I at least want a status update, but as always, Henrik can take as long as he needs. We're all excited, but just see above...
Nikitiyk
Superunknown

Post by Nikitiyk »

Henrik, the site of Acclaimed Music - is the best thing on the Internet from music sites. Rateyourmusic - rather amateur and the ratings there are inadequate and unauthoritative. Strong health and long life I wish you, well, more updates of the site. Find the right assistant. I sincerely wish you good luck.
P.S - A visitor from Russia, sorry for bad English.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Yeah, I at least want a status update, but as always, Henrik can take as long as he needs. We're all excited, but just see above...
Less digging for update
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I don't have much to add I'm afraid. I said before that the best case scenario is the update will happen during summer. If so, it will be during August at the earliest.

For the last couple of months I have just added more songs lists to my spreadsheets. There are several other bigger tasks that require a huge amount of spare time, which I don't have until the summer holiday.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Henrik wrote:I don't have much to add I'm afraid. I said before that the best case scenario is the update will happen during summer. If so, it will be during August at the earliest.

For the last couple of months I have just added more songs lists to my spreadsheets. There are several other bigger tasks that require a huge amount of spare time, which I don't have until the summer holiday.

That's ok Henrik, thanks for keeping us informed ;)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:I don't have much to add I'm afraid. I said before that the best case scenario is the update will happen during summer. If so, it will be during August at the earliest.

Thanks, man. Take your time.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”