Films of the 1990s: Top 150 movies of 1990s FINAL RESULTS

bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: Films of the 1990s: Top 150 movies of 1990s FINAL RESULTS

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:LOL at most the USA films at the bottom. What a joke. This will probably be the last time I participate in a obviously biased and skewed poll like this. I normally don't whine about stuff like this but this is a very slanted and one sided poll.
Sometimes there are movies that were made in other countries beside the United States that just happen to be great. Most of the foreign movies I love, I honestly love, just like most Hollywood movies I love, I honestly love. Country and language has no boundary for me when it comes to cinema. And plus, films like Three Colors: Blue just happen to be better, imo, than films like The Shawshank Redemption and Schindler's List, both films I am more than overjoyed at their drops. It doesn't matter that it's French, I just connected with it more than the two I mentioned.

No, I didn't vote in this poll, because I hadn't simply seen enough of the '90s to honestly give a good ranking. But I am now very intrigued in Hal Hartley's Trust which did really well... Oh, and it's an American film!
I'm not saying some foreign films aren't better but the bottom part of the 150 is filled with USA films and the films in the top 100 are filled with foreign films.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:
bootsy wrote:LOL at most the USA films at the bottom. What a joke. This will probably be the last time I participate in a obviously biased and skewed poll like this. I normally don't whine about stuff like this but this is a very slanted and one sided poll.
Literally 60% of the movies in this final 150 are from the USA; you're calling this biased because they're not all doing well?

You do realize about 17 of the remaining movies are American, right? That's even higher of a percentage than the overall list in the top 25! Add to that that most of the remaining foreign films are in English; and you're claiming this list is biased because it's not American enough, when the grand majority of the world gets a single movie at most in the top ranks?

Sorry, bootsy, but you are the biased one; and the fact that you're taking offense at other countries getting the slightest bit of representation, specifically on a forum with many Europeans, stinks heavily of xenophobia. Stop expecting us to cater to your specific and limited taste; if you're not going to open up your world view and then yell at us for having wider taste, then yes, please don't participate. We don't need your hateful and altogether inaccurate analysis here.
Final 150? That's how many were voted on to begin with so that doesn't really mean anything.

And no I don't realize that about 17 of the remaining films are American because I haven't seen the rest of the poll yet. I'm going by what I see in the bottom part of the poll.

I'm not biased I see that a lot of the US films are shoved at the bottom part of the poll and that raises some questions for me. And if anything you have the problem, every review I see of a film you hate it. Do you like any films at all lol.

And give me a break with me being hateful, where did I say anything hateful. Just because I voiced my opinion about this poll is being hateful? I think you need to look up the definition of that word because I don't think you understand what that word really means. It's definitely not what I posted or anywhere close to it. Not everyone is going to always agree with everyone else and fall in line. I expressed my opinion, which I have every right to do some people are gonna love it and some people aren't and you define that as hateful, you can get out of here with that mess.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

bootsy wrote:I'm not biased I see that a lot of the US films are shoved at the bottom part of the poll and that raises some questions for me. And if anything you have the problem, every review I see of a film you hate it. Do you like any films at all lol.
First off, ask yourself this question: How many movies featured here are of U.S. based as opposed to all the remaining countries in the world? The U.S. is overwhelming represented here. Of course, more American movies will be pushed to the bottom than to the top which are foreign films canonized as masterpieces in world cinema. It's the just way it is, and honestly, I'd say it needs more foreign films to even it out. If it had more foreign films, more foreign films will be situated towards the bottom, too.

And Bleu likes movies. This is from his review of Barton Fink: "Barton Fink is an expert exploration of desperation in the Hollywood system." That doesn't sound like a negative review.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

bootsy wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
Literally 60% of the movies in this final 150 are from the USA; you're calling this biased because they're not all doing well?

You do realize about 17 of the remaining movies are American, right? That's even higher of a percentage than the overall list in the top 25! Add to that that most of the remaining foreign films are in English; and you're claiming this list is biased because it's not American enough, when the grand majority of the world gets a single movie at most in the top ranks?

Sorry, bootsy, but you are the biased one; and the fact that you're taking offense at other countries getting the slightest bit of representation, specifically on a forum with many Europeans, stinks heavily of xenophobia. Stop expecting us to cater to your specific and limited taste; if you're not going to open up your world view and then yell at us for having wider taste, then yes, please don't participate. We don't need your hateful and altogether inaccurate analysis here.
Final 150? That's how many were voted on to begin with so that doesn't really mean anything.

And no I don't realize that about 17 of the remaining films are American because I haven't seen the rest of the poll yet. I'm going by what I see in the bottom part of the poll.

I'm not biased I see that a lot of the US films are shoved at the bottom part of the poll and that raises some questions for me. And if anything you have the problem, every review I see of a film you hate it. Do you like any films at all lol.

And give me a break with me being hateful, where did I say anything hateful. Just because I voiced my opinion about this poll on is being hateful? I think you need to look up the definition of that word. Not everyone is going to always agree with everyone else and fall in line. I expressed my opinion, which I have every right to do and you define it as hateful, you can get out of here with that mess.

We've already explained multiple times why lower-end American films end up at the bottom of the list; they only place within the top 150 because everyone has seen them, but the final list is balanced so that people have to really like a film for it to benefit. Few if any of us have highly positive opinions of the lower ranked films; why should they be higher if we collectively prefer the other films? (also note that the lowest ranked film is also a highly popular foreign film; it's popularity-that-lacks-love that hurts movies here, which simply correlates most of the time to Hollywood due to its presence on the world stage)

And yes, when you accuse everyone else who participated of being biased because they don't love Point Break or whatever movie you're pissed about, that's hateful. You feel the need to show your disdain for everyone because some movies you like didn't do well against a bunch of movies you've never seen and likely know little about. Do you know anything about half these foreign films you apparently dislike and think deserve a lower reputation?

How about, instead of accusing us of being biased against these lower ranked films, you offer reasons for why any of those films deserve to place higher on this list?

Or, maybe, you can just accept that slightly-above-average Hollywood films don't belong in a discussion of the greatest films of an era, especially since there are dozens of outstanding Hollywood films that are doing fantastic. Film as an artform offers a voice to the people, and ignoring people's voices because they speak a different language is a hindrance to your appreciation of the meaning that film can carry. You can learn so much about the world through the films of other countries; no Hollywood budget can replace the authenticity of our selection of foreign films. I'd go so far as to say many of these films are life-changing; they provide a glimpse into lives you would never stop to think about without their existence. Few of the films in the lower third offer such an experience (many of the higher Hollywood films, on the other hand, do).

And if most of my opinions seem negative, it's because:
a) I'm talking about these films in the context of them being in consideration for being called among the best of the 90s, so I'm going to be critical.
and b) I still wrote largely positively about a large section of these; I'd need to find a ratio, but I feel like it was about split down the line, with most of my negative comments being explanations on why they didn't land in my top whatever percent. In the end, a lot of my positive comments would be shared between these films (the majority of these films have at least good writing, cinematography, etc.; it would get repetitive); it's the flaws where things differ, and when commenting on 150 films, I'm going to focus on the differences (my comments for my top 30 or so are a lot more detailed, as their notable differences in quality go in the positive direction)

In the end, the only film I really didn't care for was James and the Giant Peach. There are about a dozen more I thought were simply average, and I at least liked everything else. If it doesn't appear in my hater's section, a negative comment is largely a statement within this context only; they would have largely positive reviews if I actually spent a few hundred words on them.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:
bootsy wrote:I'm not biased I see that a lot of the US films are shoved at the bottom part of the poll and that raises some questions for me. And if anything you have the problem, every review I see of a film you hate it. Do you like any films at all lol.
First off, ask yourself this question: How many movies featured here are of U.S. based as opposed to all the remaining countries in the world? The U.S. is overwhelming represented here. Of course, more American movies will be pushed to the bottom than to the top which are foreign films canonized as masterpieces in world cinema. It's the just way it is, and honestly, I'd say it needs more foreign films to even it out. If it had more foreign films, more foreign films will be situated towards the bottom, too.

And Bleu likes movies. This is from his review of Barton Fink: "Barton Fink is an expert exploration of desperation in the Hollywood system." That doesn't sound like a negative review.
I understand what yhou are saying I just don't like seeing something one sided like that at the bottom. That's all I'm saying. I mean if I can't express my opinon on disliking something then I don't know what else to do. It seems on here that you can't say anything against the grain without people jumping down your throat about it. It's like I'm ok if I say 'I love this poll it's the best' and no one will say anything but one word or thought of dissension and all hell breaks loose. Disagree and saying you don't like something is part of life. I'm not being hateful, I'm still pissed that Bleu used that word to describe what I said.

As for Bleu's negative reviews, I said from what I've seen. Obviously I haven't seen every review he's posted.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

And I just remembered another reason I dislike Leon/The Professional; it seems to be treated as an 'intro to foreign films' type movie, but it's really just off-brand Hollywood. People watch movies like it, usually enjoy them, but also tend to prefer American movies that do the same thing but better. It seems to set up the expectation that all foreign films are trying to be like Hollywood movies, when most are actually seeking their own identity.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

bootsy wrote:
babydoll wrote:

I understand what yhou are saying I just don't like seeing something one sided like that at the bottom. That's all I'm saying. I mean if I can't express my opinon on disliking something then I don't know what else to do. It seems on here that you can't say anything against the grain without people jumping down your throat about it. It's like I'm ok if I say 'I love this poll it's the best' and no one will say anything but one word or thought of dissension and all hell breaks loose. Disagree and saying you don't like something is part of life. I'm not being hateful, I'm still pissed that Bleu used that word to describe what I said.

As for Bleu's negative reviews, I said from what I've seen. Obviously I haven't seen every review he's posted.

But I don't get how it's 'one-sided.' It's not like we collectively decided to dump all these movies at the bottom. We each made our lists separately, and the grand majority of us didn't care about these lower movies. Even you are in the haters section of a lot of these American movies; 6 of your 7 lowest-rated films are American, 5 of which are in the bottom 50. You need a better explanation than just 'disliking' it if you're going to accuse us of being biased. And it's not one-sided but largely polarized; all the American movies are shoved to either the top or bottom, because the top American films do the same thing as the lower American films but better. Many of the foreign films are entirely unique entities, and thus avoid being overshadowed.

We're not 'biased'; these lower-ranked movies largely left little impression on us, and they happen to be American because that's what we were familiar with beforehand. Everyone has seen Jurassic Park, so everyone will put it on their 'Best Movies of 1993' list because there's enough space. That doesn't mean anyone particularly loves it. You do realize even being ranked in a list of the 'Best Films of the 90s' is a positive thing right? Just being mentioned in the bottom 50 is still a positive statement about these movies; they're just outside the top 100! You act like we all hate these movies when we collectively chose to include them here, calling them the 'Top 150 Films of the 90s.' That's a big statement with a lot of weight.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I decided to check, to back up what I'm saying, and I got these numbers for US films:
In rank 150-101, we have 35 US films
In rank 100-51, we have 27 US films
In rank 50-1, we have 30 US films

I'd say that's pretty equally divided. So, yes, complaining that we shoved American films too low largely contradicts the actual numbers, which show that they're largely spread out throughout (with a slight dip in the low range which clearly has more to do with the individual movies than any perceived bias against America in particular; which is clear considering the sheer volume of American films we voted in). So, once again: accusing us of being biased is rude; accusing us of being biased when all factual evidence contradicts you is inflammatory. I will respect differing opinions, but I will not stand by and let people make verifiable false statements about a list we have all put several months into creating.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

BleuPanda wrote:I decided to check, to back up what I'm saying, and I got these numbers for US films:
In rank 150-101, we have 35 US films
In rank 100-51, we have 27 US films
In rank 50-1, we have 30 US films

I'd say that's pretty equally divided. So, yes, complaining that we shoved American films too low largely contradicts the actual numbers, which show that they're largely spread out throughout (with a slight dip in the low range which clearly has more to do with the individual movies than any perceived bias against America in particular; which is clear considering the sheer volume of American films we voted in). So, once again: accusing us of being biased is rude; accusing us of being biased when all factual evidence contradicts you is inflammatory. I will respect differing opinions, but I will not stand by and let people make verifiable false statements about a list we have all put several months into creating.
So roughly over half (62 out of 92)the US films finished at or near the bottom half of the poll. I also said I was basing this off of what I've seen so far from the poll results. I said what I said and I stand by it. You can run off all the numbers you want but it isnt going to change what i said.

I also said I'm not going to stand for you saying I was being hateful. You are way off base with that and completely wrong. You are taking this to a whole new level. You don't agree fine but saying I'm hateful and other nonsense is ridiculous.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

All in all I would say this list is pretty well balanced. 60% American movies seems normal to me. Everybody will have some personal favorites missing, but the most important titles are generally there.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I agree, pretty normal list although I agree with bootsy in a way that the poll is skewed and biased to films, mostly foreign films, that have a few voters but are placed very high on their lists. However, I admit that my view is neither here nor there as the point system was decided before the poll closed and these foreign films are regarded highly for a reason; the lack of viewership should not detract from that point.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I agree with you bootsy that your comment wasn't hateful. I also think BleuPanda showed that the list is quite balanced. So I'd say let's leave this conversation and move on to the rest of the countdown. Even comments to this post are unnecessary. Thanks!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Rob wrote:
Petri wrote:Fans: Michel #15, Dexter #21, Rob #24, Greg #25[/br]
Haters: Rob #75/82[/br]
So, apparently I am a hater and a fan of Short Cuts? ;)
I'm a fan, actually. My name comes up a lot by films I'm not a hater for. Every time it says "/82" it's not me. I think it is Miguel, since he has actually voted for 82 films, while I did 109. All my placements as fan are correct, though.
:) You’re right the hater of those ”Rob /82”-movies should be Miguel. Sorry about that Rob and Miguel. I must have checked more carefully that all Excel-cells get the information from where they should. All the calculations are correct I just got the name of the hater from wrong column. I will fix them.

25 movies left including 17 (68 %!) US movies. Mostly the Usual Suspects but at least one quite big surprise: a movie that wasn’t in the final last time. :o All of them are movies I recommend to every filmbuff. I have always watched movies all around the world and for every genre and founded so many great films I love.
bootsy I guess you wouldn’t like those European or Asian art-house movies but I would recommend to try (from this list) movies like Pusher, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Dark City, La Haine, Abre los ojos [Open Your Eyes], Trainspotting, Run Lola Run, movies by Takeshi Kitano or maybe even Chungking Express (one of Tarantino’s favorite movies ever). If I remember correctly you are fan of City of God so you have seen at least one non US-movies that you like. This time the only movie that wasn't from USA you voted was Léon [The Professional].
Last edited by Petri on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Deciding what is true and what isn't now seems to me...a lack of modesty.
25. (27.) Trois couleurs: Rouge [Three Colors: Red] (1994)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://i.jeded.com/i/three-colors-red- ... .11867.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Krzysztof Kieslowski[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1994[/br]
Rank in last round: 12 (Down 13)[/br]
Votes: 13[/br]
Fans: Dexter #10, bonnielaurel #15, whuntva #16, Petri #21, Michel #22, Depeche Mode #23, Midaso #25, BleuPanda #28[/br]
Haters: None[/br]
Comment(s): This is perhaps the densest film of the Three Colours trilogy; where Blue explores an immediately effective tragedy and White carries a dark comedy, Red isn't immediately clear in its intentions. It lets it characters find their own story, feeling like a story tied to its characters' reality without intrusion. Yet it is always effective, an intimate study of its characters. (BleuPanda)

An entry I wish could tie, but if I had to choose, I prefer this one. (whuntva)

"
Malkovich?
MALKOVICH!
Malkovich.
" 24. (26.) Being John Malkovich (1999)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Spike Jonze[/br]
Year rank: #5 of 1999[/br]
Rank in last round: 13 (Down 11)[/br]
Votes: 17[/br]
Fans: Maschine Man #7, Petri #9, Dexter #11, Michel #12, Midaso #17, Depeche Mode #18, Gillingham #26[/br]
Haters: Greg #121/121[/br]
Comment(s): Spike Jonze is a fantastically quirky director and Charlie Kaufman is perhaps the greatest living screenwriter, and this was the perfect introduction to both of them. Kaufman takes an entirely absurd concept and runs with it. It exists in a world where logic is ever-so-slighty different than ours, creating an odd yet compelling atmosphere for the work. (BleuPanda)

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist.
23. (19.) The Usual Suspects (1995)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 00_AL_.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Bryan Singer[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1995[/br]
Rank in last round: 9 (Down 14)[/br]
Votes: 19[/br]
Fans: Miguel #1, notbrianeno #3, Michel #5, Rocky Raccoon #5, bootsy #10, antonius #21, Petri #22[/br]
Haters: whuntva #78/83[/br]
Comment(s): I don't believe I can ever watch this film again; what it all adds up to can only be experienced once. But I'd be wrong to deny just how powerful that first experience is; this is truly one of cinema's best mysteries. (BleuPanda)

Hasta la vista, baby.
22. (21.) Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ee778b.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: James Cameron[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1991[/br]
Rank in last round: 64 (Up 42)[/br]
Fans: bootsy #3, whuntva #7, antonius #9, stone37 #13, notbrianeno #13, BleuPanda #14, Dexter #20, Bruno #24[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #121/122[/br]
Comment(s): Terminator 2 is smarter than most sci-fi action films, but that doesn't matter as much as its staging. Few action sequences are as engaging as the chase scenes in this movie. Turning the Terminator of the first film into a good guy was an effective choice, allowing the new villain to be that much more intimidating. (BleuPanda)

She has the face of Buddha and the heart of a scorpian
21. (25.) 大紅燈籠高高掛 [Raise the Red Lantern] (1991)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://pic.pimg.tw/fion4224/1480495914-627491280.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Zhang Yimou[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 1991[/br]
Rank in last round: 19 (Down 2)[/br]
Votes: 12[/br]
Fans: BleuPanda #6, Dexter #6, Gillingham #18, Greg #18, whuntva #26[/br]
Comment(s): Raise the Red Lantern is a film of absolute beauty. Every shot is the work of a master corrupted by the horrors of its narrative. Like The Piano, Raise the Red Lantern explores the limits of love. Telling the story of the newest concubine in a household, it turns quickly into a tale of despair and violence. Each concubine finds themselves vying for the master's attention, but some get chosen more than others. The protagonist finds jealously among the others, and herself turns jealous when a new concubine arrives. Underlying the story is a clear statement of unfairness; the women shouldn't be fighting among themselves over a clearly uncaring man, but that is all they can do. Zhang does not pull back, seeing the story through to its bitter end. Though this is a story of a marriage, there is no love to be found. The cinematography creates a sense of the household being a labyrinthian structure, a perfect representation of the concubines' inability to escape. (BleuPanda)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Edit. Added accidently #150-#136 here too.
Last edited by Petri on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

OK here we have a movie that missed the final last time. Now it has two #1 votes.

No dream is ever just a dream.
20. (17.) Eyes Wide Shut (1999)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-o0X0Vb-GedM/V ... 2BShut.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Stanley Kubrick[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 1999[/br]
Rank in last round: Not in the final. Year rank #11.[/br]
Votes: 20[/br]
Fans: Midaso #1, notbrianeno #1, fredp #4, Depeche Mode #5, bonnielaurel #16, BleuPanda #24, Rob #25, Petri #25[/br]
Haters: whuntva #81/83, Michel #126/131, antonius #105/111, Maschine Man #60/65[/br]
Comment(s): Stanley Kubrick's final film is a shocking exploration of human sexuality and a struggling romance. The central draw to the film also exists almost outside of its true plot; Tom Cruise is drawn to a bizarre cult during an orgy, but he exists there as largely an outsider. It is simply a step on the way to him figuring out the issues within his marriage. The staging and direction during the orgy sequence are phenomenal; the sex is purely animalistic, lacking emotion and adding to the foreboding nature of the cult. Though commonly considered one of Kubrick's lesser works, I find it a perfect match among his style, an intriguing look into someone searching for a spark. (BleuPanda)

I’ve seen this film three times in full but like a dozen times the first hour and a half. I think it gets a bit dreary and stakes are lost after the ‘night walk’ strech is over. That I still rank is film so high is a testament to how much I love the look, the mood, symbolism in the first half, which is probably the best example of what I would call pretentiously ‘magic of cinema’. Also, this film gave me tons of fun afterwards, from listening to various conspiracy theories about it. Your guess is as good as mine with regards to the extent of their truthfulness but it’s entertaining to consider them. (DepecheMode)

War don't ennoble men. It turns them into dogs... poisons the soul.
19. (22.) The Thin Red Line (1998)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.thebestlittlefilmhouse.com/e ... 5487-p.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Terrence Malick[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 1998[/br]
Rank in last round: 14 (Down 5)[/br]
Votes: 16[/br]
Fans: Gillingham #1, BleuPanda #10, Greg #10, Depeche Mode #14, Rob #20, Maschine Man #21 , Rocky Raccoon #25, antonius #27, bootsy #30[/br]
Comment(s): Terrence Malick creates an almost floating state of existence in The Thin Red Line. Initially created as a sprawling war epic, Malick cuts back on nearly every detail and places the narrative within the philosophical questioning of the soldiers it follows. Though the film is in a state of endless physical horror, its true focus is how the experience eats away at the mind. Though Malick would later explore the same sensation in The Tree of Life, The Thin Red Line feels much more immediate. Such a deeply philosophical film is rarely given such a large budget; inner and outer chaos is in perfect harmony. (BleuPanda)

Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed. But still, you find reasons to keep living.
18. (23.) もののけ姫 [Princess Mononoke] (1997)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... c6f149.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Hayao Miyazaki[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 1997[/br]
Rank in last round: 63 (Up 45)[/br]
Fans: BleuPanda #7, Rob #10, whuntva #13 antonius #14, Petri #14, Maschine Man #15, Greg #21[/br]
Haters: Gillingham #111/112[/br]
Comment(s): Princess Mononoke feels like an oddball among Miyazaki's more modern work. Though the earlier Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky had more dire atmospheres, everything else from Totoro on carried an air of whimsy, no matter the subject. Princess Mononoke returned to the seriousness of these earlier works, and for good reason: beneath its fantastic world lies the very real threat of a natural world being destroyed by humanity. Even while handling a subject that he has clear strong opinions on, Miyazaki succeeds by continuing to cast his characters in shades of grey. The advanced city that acts as the antagonist is also proudly feminist, and their leader looks out for her people. By maintaining his reliable faith in humanity, Miyazaki paints a picture of a world out of balance; everyone does what they believe to be the right thing, but even that doesn't always work. Princess Mononoke also contains some of his most striking imagery, such as a group of lepers acting as city defense to the Forest Spirit walking across water. (BleuPanda)

The voice you hear is not my speaking voice, but my mind's voice.
17. (16.) The Piano (1993)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.impawards.com/1993/posters/piano_ver1.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jane Campion[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 1993[/br]
Rank in last round: 46 (Up 29)[/br]
Votes: 15[/br]
Fans: Dolly Wilde #5, Dexter #7, Michel #8, BleuPanda #9, Rocky Raccoon #10, Depeche Mode #17, bonnielaurel #22, Miguel #28[/br]
Comment(s): My favorite film that I watched for this survey of the 1990s. The Piano casts the concept of love in a raw light. Ada is caught between two men, her legal husband and a neighbor named Baines. At the heart of the conflict is her prized piano, the one thing she appears truly attached to. Her marriage lacks love and her relationship with Baines starts off forced, him using the piano he bought off her husband as a reason for her to visit; the film questions how love forms and isn't afraid to explore the darker side of relationships. What truly drives this film is the acting; Ada refuses to speak, but Holly Hunter gives off so much emotion through subtle movements and looks. Predictably for a film about a protagonist who refuses to speak, The Piano touches upon tragedies created through an inability to express oneself. (BleuPanda)

I was saddened to find out Catherine Hardwicke took for Twilight the beautiful piano scene from this one. That’s the only minus from watching this film for me, which was sometimes eerily beautiful and sometimes strangely funny. Amazing performance by Holly Hunter. (DepecheMode)

I've got an infinite number of places to go, the problem is where to stay.
16. (15.) Naked (1993)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://pics.filmaffinity.com/naked-137653809-large.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Mike Leigh[/br]
Year rank: #4 of 1993[/br]
Rank in last round: 38 (Up 22)[/br]
Fans: Midaso #2, Gillingham #6, Dolly Wilde #9, Depeche Mode #13, Petri #13, Greg #17[/br]
Comment(s): I simply don't know what to make of this movie. The characters are about as unsympathetic as they come, and the film feels caught in a state of Nihilism I just can't empathize with. I can see Leigh's craft, I just wish his subject characters weren't so unbearable. Maybe I'll turn around some day and accept its crudeness, but I don't feel like I'm there yet. (BleuPanda)
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Missed the golden quote from Naked:

"I used to be a werewolf, now I'm alright".

I wanted to see Thin Red Line, but ran out of time when I submitted the ballot.

Also maybe someday I will see Eyes Wide Shut as more than just exploitative pornography, but today is not that day.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Pornography? I always thought Eyes Wide Shut was the antithesis of arousal. It seems designed to make sex as unpleasurable as possible.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

And here we found the movies that just missed the top 10 including #55, #53 and #49 of the final of the last round. :o :o :o :o

Somebody's shoved a red-hot poker up our ass, and I want to know whose name is on the handle!
15. (18.) Reservoir Dogs (1992)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.impawards.com/1992/posters/r ... s_ver4.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Quentin Tarantino[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1992[/br]
Rank in last round: 10 (Down 5)[/br]
Votes: 21[/br]
Fans: Michel #4, Miguel #5, whuntva #8, BleuPanda #12, Maschine Man #19, Gillingham #21, Bruno #23, Rocky Raccoon #23[/br]
Haters: fredp #77/85[/br]
Comment(s): Though intrinsically linked to Pulp Fiction from a few years later, Reservoir Dogs stands on its own through the narrowness of its situation. Where Pulp Fiction leaves you in anticipation of how threads connect, Reservoir Dogs begins with the connections and then reveals how they fail to truly link together. Ostensibly about a mole among a group of jewelry thieves, Tarantino knows not to hold back on the information until the end as a plot twist, instead allowing Orange's status as the undercover cop sit in the middle of the film as a point of dramatic irony for the other characters' tales. The tension is incendiary, with the film culminating in one of cinema's finest standoffs. Though many rightly credit Pulp Fiction as Tarantino's finest work, Reservoir Dogs sits right up there as his first masterpiece. (BleuPanda)

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?
14. (13.) Before Sunrise (1995)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://img.moviepostershop.com/before-s ... 190611.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Richard Linklater[/br]
Year rank: #4 of 1995[/br]
Rank in last round: 55 (Up 41)[/br]
Fans: Dolly Wilde #1, Depeche Mode #3, Petri #8, bonnielaurel #9, Maschine Man #13, Rob #16, antonius #22, Gillingham #25[/br]
Haters: fredp #80/85, Greg #118/121[/br]
Comment(s): Before Sunrise is a near-perfect romance film while largely avoiding expected tropes. Linklater gives us one day in the life of two people who meet by chance while travelling abroad; it is a perfectly normal day in the life of two people who fall in love while aware they will soon be going their separate ways. There's no grand rejection of fate, no giant statements; everything here is so very human. Though the Before trilogy as a whole is one of the most compelling in cinema, Sunrise truly stands on its own as a film that succeeded by throwing away most genre conventions to create something pure. (BleuPanda)

Hmm I don’t know what to say here. I guess I really want this to happen to me someday but it never will so I cherish this film. (DepecheMode)

It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.
13. (12.) American Beauty (1999)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://viewtifulviktor.se/images/2009/a ... 849208.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Sam Mendes[/br]
Year rank: #6 of 1999[/br]
Rank in last round: 7 (Down 6)[/br]
Fans: notbrianeno #4, Maschine Man #6, Michel #9, Dolly Wilde #10, Petri #11, Bruno #11, fredp #12, bootsy #17, bonnielaurel #30, Miguel #30[/br]
Haters: whuntva #83/83[/br]
Comment(s): American Beauty is a film that feels like a lot of things, but it manages all of them fairly well. We know its protagonist will be dead by the end, as he kindly informs us as the story begins. Throughout, there's misguided teenage angst, sexual despair, cheating, drugs, and forbidden lust. Though it tackles a lot of heavy subjects, it handles most with a charming wit. This film is an acting powerhouse, and it manages a few understated turns to keep its narrative fresh. (BleuPanda)

A shallow, pretentious mess of a story from a bygone age. Had nothing new to say about its subject matter and gave across flat portrayals of humanity with so-so filmmaking techniques. (whuntva),

Choose Life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television, choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers…
12. (11.) Trainspotting (1996)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://news.doddleme.com/wp-content/upl ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Danny Boyle[/br]
Year rank: #3 of 1996[/br]
Rank in last round: 49 (Up 37)[/br]
Fans: whuntva #2, BleuPanda #4 , Rocky Raccoon #8 , Michel #11, Gillingham #12, Dolly Wilde #13, Maschine Man #17, bootsy #23, Depeche Mode #24, Midaso #30[/br]
Comment(s): Trainspotting is a film of absolute chaos, backed by one of the strongest soundtracks in cinema; two decades later, I'm not sure how Danny Boyle managed to pull this one off. Trainspotting is a film about drugs, but unlike other contemporaries like Requiem for a Dream, it places us with its protagonists. Flawed as they are, Renton and his pals are a loveable band of losers. Trainspotting works better than most anti-drug films because it shows us the everyday aspects of being addicted; it's not an orchestrated tragedy but a slow decay that doesn't appear as bad from the inside.The editing is fantastic, and the set design casts the film in what feels like an off-brand version of reality. Above all, it fails to condescend; Renton isn't doomed to fail, allowed to fumble between ups and downs, many of his own creation. (BleuPanda)

Unbelievably late to the party on this one, watching it last week. Really solid film and it is not hard to see how it became idolized. (DepecheMode)

I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right.
11. (14.) Boogie Nights (1997)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://socialpsychol.files.wordpress.c ... poster.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1997[/br]
Rank in last round: 53 (Up 42)[/br]
Votes: 18[/br]
Fans: Midaso #3, stone37 #6, Rob #6, Dexter #12, Maschine Man #16, BleuPanda #17, fredp #22, Gillingham #27[/br]
Comment(s): Boogie Nights is one of many outstanding interwoven tales from the 90s; the main selling point here is its frank, sometimes funny and sometimes disturbing presentation of the porn industry. Paul Thomas Anderson immediately reveals himself to be a master through an outstanding extended shot that opens the film. The character relations are about as messy as you would expect, and at the heart of the film is one of the most terrifying scenes of its era; Anderson expertly cuts between three characters as they find their lives spiraling into madness all on one night. Everything about the editing and music choices is spot on, but it only works due to how well the characters have been established up through that point. (BleuPanda)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Great group there, featuring my second and third favorite films of the decade (American Beauty and Reservoir Dogs). Sad to see them both fall in the ranking, but glad to see then both in the top 15 still!
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Biggest surprise in that top 20 is Eyes Wide Shut. That movie wasn't well received at the time but as the years go by it has gotten more appreciation. I've even seen some people say it's Kubrick's best movie. While I wouldn't quite go that far it is a very good movie. I remember seeing it in theaters and liking it but also remembering that was the first Kubrick movie I'd eve seen and not knowing what to think. Since then I've seen many of his movies and now I see what kind of director he is and his cinematic style from his previous movies were on par with Eyes Wide Shut.

The other smaller surprise is American Beauty, a movie I love but from what I've seen is the opposite of Eyes Wide Shut. In that it was praised when it came out but as the years go by some people despise it and question whether it was Best Picture worthy and that it's too pretentious, hasn't aged well. I watched it a couple of years ago and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time I saw it.
Depeche Mode
Wannabe

Post by Depeche Mode »

I personally am shocked at The Piano placement. EWS not so much, more surprised it didn't make it the last time.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club.
10. (9.) Fight Club (1999)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://img.goldposter.com/2015/04/Fight ... com_21.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: David Fincher[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1999[/br]
Rank in last round: 26 (Up 16)[/br]
Votes: 22[/br]
Fans: whuntva #1, antonius #5, Dolly Wilde #7, notbrianeno #8, Krurze #11, Bruno #12, Miguel #14, Rocky Raccoon #17, bootsy #18, Michel #24[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #117/122[/br]
Comment(s): Fight Club is a very juvenile film, but that is very much to its benefit. It tackles subjects of sexuality and anarchy exactly as you would expect from the manchildren it portrays. It is an excessive post-modernist mess, matched with Fincher's similarly outrageous cynicism. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton lend the film a level of technical grandeur, matched by chaotic editing and direction. Though it's easy to hate, Fight Club pulls off everything it sets out to do, and the fact you can't tell how serious it expects you to take it shows just how much Fincher is playing us. (BleuPanda)

For me, this is the 1990s in one film. Combined with psychological and mythological undertones, there was never any film this "clever" that decade. Tyler alone could warrant his own essay here. (whuntva),

Love is a mighty power, isn't it?
9. (10.) Breaking the Waves (1996)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://i.jeded.com/i/breaking-the-waves.13800.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Lars von Trier[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1996[/br]
Rank in last round: 6 (Down 3)[/br]
Fans: Michel #2, Petri #3, Greg #3, antonius #7, Dolly Wilde #8, Dexter #14, fredp #21[/br]
Haters: Miguel #82/82, stone37 #78/82, Bruno #67/70[/br]
Comment(s): Though not the most Nihilistic of his films, Breaking the Waves is perhaps Lars von Trier's most successfully heartbreaking. It pushes a love to the most extreme point, with two characters who seem unable to realize the harm they are creating for themselves; yet von Trier himself feeds into their sick mindset, allowing their fantastic belief to truly heal one as it harms the other. (BleuPanda)

What's this? A von Trier I...LIKED!? Not just didn't hate but Liked? The story was flat but the beautiful emotion shone through in this one. (whuntva),

In this life, it's not what you hope for, it's not what you deserve - it's what you take!
8. (7.) Magnolia (1999)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/mo ... GCJoQI.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1999[/br]
Rank in last round: 5 (Down 3)[/br]
Fans: Rob #2, whuntva #4, Petri #5, Dolly Wilde #6, Depeche Mode #10, Michel #16, BleuPanda #16, Gillingham #20, Midaso #21, Greg #29[/br]
Haters: antonius #101/111[/br]
Comment(s): Magnolia manages to find a perfect balance between its many characters. Paul Thomas Anderson uses their disparate struggles to make a statement on coincidence and fate. Many of its plots push at the extremes, culminating in an absolutely bizarre yet contextually perfect storm. Like most of Anderson's work, this film captures many actors at their best, and the situation of each character is just bizarre enough to indivually resonate. (BleuPanda)

One of the films that inspired me to get interested in cinema, it might not be that deep but it’s just such an emotional journey with stellar filmmaking and performances. (DepecheMode)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Here are #7 and #6 (last times #2 and #3)

I decided not to park there.
7. (8.) Fargo (1996)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://img.goldposter.com/2015/04/Fargo ... com_31.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Joel Coen/Ethan Coen[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1996[/br]
Rank in last round: 2 (Down 5)[/br]
Fans: Dexter #4, BleuPanda #8, Rob #8, Gillingham #9, Midaso #10, Michel #13, Rocky Raccoon #14, stone37 #18, Maschine Man #25, bootsy #27, antonius #30[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #112/122[/br]
Comment(s): Fargo is the Coen Brothers at their best, a film that finds comedy in the worst situations. What's so striking about Fargo is how immediately flawed its central crime is; from the first scene, there are numerous issues. Everything that can go wrong does. This spiraling tale of incompetency is contrasted with the fantastic Marge Gunderson, a chief of police who manages to add up all the loose threads. Fargo has a wonderful cast of actors; Frances McDormand and William H. Macy give two of the best performances of the era, while Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare are also at the top of their game. The best moments are in the smallest details; a shot of Jerry Lundegaard walking out to his car in a snow-covered lot, or a seemingly insignificant meeting between Marge and a former classmate that later pushes her to reconsider the entire string of events. Though their dialogue might not be as snappy as Tarantino's, the Coen Brothers can really thread a narrative together. (BleuPanda)

Solid film, not much not less, nothing approaching The Big Lebowski. (DepecheMode)

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
6. (6.) The Silence of the Lambs (1991)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... 00_AL_.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Jonathan Demme[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1991[/br]
Rank in last round: 3 (Down 3)[/br]
Fans: notbrianeno #2, Rocky Raccoon #3, antonius #4, Bruno #6, stone37 #7, Dexter #8, Michel #10, Gillingham #11, Miguel #13, BleuPanda #25[/br]
Haters: Depeche Mode #65/69, Krurze #20/22[/br]
Comment(s): Though a problematic film, The Silence of the Lambs is also one that is perfectly-crafted within itself. The tension and relationship between Clarice and Hannibal creates one of cinema's best duos, and the suspense is palpable in key moments. Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter is absolutely phenomenal. (BleuPanda)

Boring filmmaking and an overbearing and bad performance by Sir Anthony Hopkins. (DepecheMode)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Are you ready for top 5?
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Petri wrote:Are you ready for top 5?
Yes, and happy to see Trainspotting make such a large jump!
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

OK I'm going to release the final five and get out of this computer.

Funny thing, killin' a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's gonna have.
5. (5.) Unforgiven (1992)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://static.rogerebert.com/uploads/mo ... fFRwtG.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Clint Eastwood[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1992[/br]
Rank in last round: 24 (Up 19)[/br]
Fans: Rocky Raccoon #2, Dexter #5, whuntva #6 , Rob #7, Greg #8 , bootsy #9, Depeche Mode #9, stone37 #15, Bruno #25, Michel #26 , BleuPanda #29[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #122/122[/br]
Comment(s): Unforgiven is one of the rare excellent modern Westerns, in large part due to its questioning of the past. Where the films that inspired Unforgiven are largely about individuals in search of a big enough prize, it corrupts these simple goals by drawing attention to an undercurrent of unfairness. In Unforgiven, the West is finally being settled; those that excelled in its wild nature no longer have a proper place in its new society. They live on the fringes, and interactions with mainstream society tend to end violently. Clint Eastwood perfectly captures his own classic archetype, but in a way that no longer fits the world. (BleuPanda)

One of my favorite films as a teen which I still have not watched again. (DepecheMode)

This family is kaput!
4. (4.) Festen [The Celebration] (1998)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... dfd655.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Thomas Vinterberg[/br]
Year rank: #2 of 1998[/br]
Rank in last round: 4 (No change)[/br]
Fans: antonius #2, Gillingham #4 , bonnielaurel #4 , Dolly Wilde #4 , BleuPanda #5, Petri #7, fredp #17, Miguel #19, Michel #28[/br]
Haters: Depeche Mode #63/69[/br]
Comment(s): What I never understood about the Dogme movement is why so many of the works ended up so vile and Nihilistic. A movement ostensibly about proving that anyone can create a film, it became quickly tied up in von Trier's hopeless outlook. Festen thankfully escapes this, dark as it is, by giving its victims a chance to fight back. The Dogme style creates an odd realness to the work, as if this were home video footage of the worst family gathering in history. The situations are extreme but perfectly reasonable, offering a real punch as they turn out exactly as you would expect. What starts out as a chance to accuse turns into a battle as a man struggles to convince his family of the ugly truth. Though it is easy to look away from the horrors of reality, Festen ties its narrative struggles into its presentation; gritty, hard to consume, but the truth. (BleuPanda)

This is a good combination of style and substance. It's about a family that seems successful at first glance, but soon the hidden conflicts come to the surface. The basic idea of Dogme 95 was to create a realistic style devoid of special effects and other tricks. The hand-held camera makes the viewer experience everything like another guest at the party. My favorite part is series of cuts between simultaneous events that all have something to do with water, suggesting what happened to the deceised daughter. (bonnielaurel)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

And top 3. :happy-partydance:

That rug really tied the room together.
3. (3.) The Big Lebowski (1998)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 3218aa.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Joel & Ethan Coen[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1998[/br]
Rank in last round: 8 (Up 5)[/br]
Fans: Rob #1, Depeche Mode #2, Petri #4 notbrianeno #5, Gillingham #5 , Maschine Man #10 , BleuPanda #13, bootsy #15, Michel #21, Midaso #22, fredp #23, whuntva #23, antonius #29[/br]
Haters: bonnielaurel #120/122[/br]

Comment(s): The Big Lebowski is a welcome respite from the usual darkness of a Coen Brothers film. It captures the same complex narrative while stripping a lot of the stakes down to create a more absurd experience. As such, the characters are simply fun to engage with; it's nice to have a film that isn't about much that still has an expertly-crafted narrative. (BleuPanda)

A funny comedy that makes me question why I'm laughing. (whuntva)

I really loved the subtle, political reconcilement message I only noticed now that I’m older. Added to all the reasons I share with every other Lebowski fan(I’m sure I’m not the first to notice the political part of course!) (DepecheMode)

For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster.
2. (2.) Goodfellas (1990)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB17GoCOVXX ... STER-b.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Martin Scorsese[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1990[/br]
Rank in last round: 11 (Up 9)[/br]
Fans: stone37 #1, Maschine Man #1, BleuPanda #2, Bruno #2, Dexter #3, Depeche Mode #4, Rocky Raccoon #6 , notbrianeno #9, bootsy #12, Rob #13, Midaso #14 , Michel #20, antonius #25 , whuntva #27[/br]

Comment(s): Goodfellas is Martin Scorsese at his most refined. A sprawling epic through the life of a mafia member, Scorsese throws in every technique he has learned through his illustrious career. Though focused largely upon Henry Hill, Goodfellas paints a vibrant picture of everyone in his life. The tension between each character is immense, and Scorsese handles each scenario in exciting new ways. (BleuPanda)

The turning point in Scorscese's career. Look at the critical and popular acclaim of the films before and after to see what I mean. (whuntva)

A couple years ago I used to watch this over and over again, just one of the most entertaining an quoutable films of all time, though it might fall a bit if I will rewatch it. (DepecheMode)

Now I wanna dance, I wanna win. I want that trophy, so dance good.
1. (1.) Pulp Fiction (1994)[/br]
[imgsize 250x360]http://www.panicposters.com/media/catal ... ontest.jpg[/imgsize][/br]
Director: Quentin Tarantino[/br]
Year rank: #1 of 1994[/br]
Rank in last round: 1 (No change)[/br]
Fans: bonnielaurel #1, Dexter #1, antonius #1, Rocky Raccoon #1 Petri #2, Gillingham #2, bootsy #2, BleuPanda #3, Dolly Wilde #3, Rob #3, Michel #3, Maschine Man #3, stone37 #4, Miguel #6, Krurze #8, Bruno #8, whuntva #11, Midaso #12, Depeche Mode #16, notbrianeno #18[/br]
Haters: fredp #85/85[/br]
Comment(s): Pulp Fiction is one of those films that define a change in era; what Jaws did for the Hollywood Blockbuster, Pulp Fiction did for tangled narratives. Though obviously not the first (not even among Tarantino's own work), Pulp Fiction is the film that clearly triggered a change in direction among indepedent directors. Climaxes are revealed before setups, characters weave in and out of each other's lives, and everything is held together through Tarantino's expert dialogue. Each of its four chapters represent a different atmosphere, and the fact they fit so well together is why Pulp Fiction works and so many of the films that followed did not. (BleuPanda)

The non-chronological narrative has two advantages: it gives the spectators a puzzle and it makes them understand things after learning what happened before. The title refers to popular books that used to be printed on cheap paper. there are numerous references to old spy stories, comics, TV shows and films. the careless way in which Vince (John Travolta) handles firearms makes you think he fancies himself a hero in one of those old pulp stories. The violence and rude language are part of this shallow, meaningless culture. (bonnielaurel)

A great film, possibly even an all-time favorite. I just don't think it's #1 is all. (whuntva)

The cleaning up part is rather boring for me. The rest is great and endlessly watchable. (DepecheMode)

I HATE TARANTINO AND THIS MOVIE :) (fredp)

Despite fredp’s vote Pulp Fiction was in a league of its own. The biggest favorite of the competion took what everybody expected and even more. 12 top 3 votes, 20 fans (only Greg and fredp weren’t one). The difference in points is smaller between #3 The Big Lebowski and #150 Léon [The Professional] than between Pulp Fiction and The Big Lebowski. (!!!!!) (And Goodfellas was also miles away.)
I have done this ones before (when Pulp Fiction won years ago the best film of all time -poll here in AM-forum) but what’s more fun than to watch the opening credits of the movie and after that maybe the whole movie.
[/size]

Thank you all of you who voted and especially the ones who commented the movies. I probably will release some statistics later this week.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Altogether a strong list. I'm still surprised how low The Iron Giant is. It is #99, the next movie I'm a 'fan' of is all the way at #58. 28 of my top 30 made the top 50, so I wonder why there's so much disconnect between The Iron Giant and other people here. It would have been nice to see A Brighter Summer Day do better, but it hasn't had the time to really spread (even with its former top 100 rank on TSPDT), so I'm pleased with where it landed and hope to see it do better in a few years once people finally get around to it.

My highest 'hater' film is Kika at #84, so my bottom 15 were all relegated to the back half of the list.
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

Thanks, Petri, that was an awesome roll out. Looking forward to the '80s now.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I might be the least film-savvy person in the forum, so bear with me.

...Hey, I was sort-of right! I've seen ~3 films in the top 25.
Terminator 2
Princess Mononoke (which if I did make a list of my favorite films, this would probably be #1)
1/2 of Silence of the Lambs (I read the book, so maybe that bumps it up to a full?)
1/2 of Pulp Fiction

"Fight Club" and "The Big Lebowski" are on my must-watch-at-some-point list.

Thanks again to Petri for the great presentation!
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Excellent rollout Petri!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Used to watch films more extensively, using the 1001 Movies book as a guide. For lack of a desire to turn into Patton Oswalt as he describes himself in Silver Screen Fiend, I haven't quite gotten back to that, but I really should. Sharing movies with people is a lot of fun.

For what it's worth, The Iron Giant would've been my #1.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Also, confession time: I have never seen a Tarantino movie. Hoping to rectify that, in spite of the Tarantino haters. (The only Coen Brothers movie I've seen is Fargo - again, hoping to fix that. Great fucking movie, by the way).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:Also, confession time: I have never seen a Tarantino movie. Hoping to rectify that, in spite of the Tarantino haters. (The only Coen Brothers movie I've seen is Fargo - again, hoping to fix that. Great fucking movie, by the way).
:o Stevie! we must correct this asap. Just kidding but it is kind of shocking because it's not like QT hasn't been making movies for a while. He's made 3 in the last 7-8 years. I would definitely start with his earliest work, just a recommendation.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Also, confession time: I have never seen a Tarantino movie. Hoping to rectify that, in spite of the Tarantino haters. (The only Coen Brothers movie I've seen is Fargo - again, hoping to fix that. Great fucking movie, by the way).
:o Stevie! we must correct this asap. Just kidding but it is kind of shocking because it's not like QT hasn't been making movies for a while. He's made 3 in the last 7-8 years. I would definitely start with his earliest work, just a recommendation.
Well, I own Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill movies, so I want to start with those. Pulp Fiction's always been the first I've wanted to watch - it's the most iconic, and it looks great to me. I also want to check out Django Unchained, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds (though I hear that one's not as good as the others - it varies from person to person).
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Well, I own Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bill movies, so I want to start with those. Pulp Fiction's always been the first I've wanted to watch - it's the most iconic, and it looks great to me. I also want to check out Django Unchained, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds (though I hear that one's not as good as the others - it varies from person to person).

Pulp Fiction is a great one to start with. I consider it his best film and outside of Apocalypse Now it's my favorite film of all time. I'm curious to see how you view his other films after you watch PF first. If you like that the best or as you get further along you like some of his other movies better. I like all of his films even Death Proof. Even though I consider it his weakest but it's still decent. Keep us posted.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Petri, I just want to apologize for being disrespectful to you and your hard work on this and even if you don't think it was hard work I want to give you that credit. I honestly didn't mean to come off that way to anyone in here and I definitely jumped the gun and should have waited for the entire complete list to come out. You did a great job with this as you always do and I appreciate what you did. Thank you and hopefully no hard feelings.
Last edited by bootsy on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

I've got to say, I deeply regret placing The Silence of the Lambs as high as I did on my list. It was a favorite upon first viewing in high school five years ago, and i had since forgotten about the transmisogyny that pervaded the film while making my list until watching it again yesterday. While Hopkins and Foster are stunning, as is Jonathan Demme's lightning-quick direction, the film spends a major part of its running time disparaging the LGBT community either through coded language and images, or the infamous character of Buffalo Bill. While i'm glad to see the film's merits rewarded in this poll, I have to say I feel ashamed to have my username next to it as its biggest fan.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

notbrianeno wrote:I've got to say, I deeply regret placing The Silence of the Lambs as high as I did on my list. It was a favorite upon first viewing in high school five years ago, and i had since forgotten about the transmisogyny that pervaded the film while making my list until watching it again yesterday. While Hopkins and Foster are stunning, as is Jonathan Demme's lightning-quick direction, the film spends a major part of its running time disparaging the LGBT community either through coded language and images, or the infamous character of Buffalo Bill. While i'm glad to see the film's merits rewarded in this poll, I have to say I feel ashamed to have my username next to it as its biggest fan.

I feel like I was in a similar boat; the first time I watched it, back in high school, I pretty much didn't know transgender people existed, so the fact it could be offensive completely flew over my head. It's kind of an awkward movie to consider, because every other element is top of the line, but this aspect is an ugly blight. In the end, however, Buffalo Bill is based off many real-life serial killers; they could have handled it better than they did, but the character has a basis in real people. They just unfortunately tossed the idea of gender in...
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

This really amazes me. If anything, this poll is biased, skewed, slanted and one sided in favour of American (and English language) films. Of the top 15 films a whopping 12 are American and only 1 is non-English. You didn't know this when you wrote this, but then why make early conclusions? Even 2 out of the 3 bottom films weren't American. The world, even in cinema, is much bigger than that country.
EDIT: good to see you realised yourself that you should have waited till all the results were in.

Anyway, thanks a lot for doing this poll Petri and also thanks to the commentators. I enjoyed the roll-out.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks a lot, Petri, for organizing the poll. Thanks to the people who participated and commented. I ended up four times in the hater section in the top 10; on the other hand my #1 and #4 finished on those same places.

This is the best film for each year according to the forum:

1990 Goodfellas
1991 The Silence of the Lambs
1992 Unforgiven
1993 Naked
1994 Pulp Fiction
1995 Before Sunrise
1996 Fargo
1997 Boogie Nights
1998 The Big Lebowski
1999 Magnolia
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BleuPanda wrote:Altogether a strong list. I'm still surprised how low The Iron Giant is. It is #99, the next movie I'm a 'fan' of is all the way at #58. 28 of my top 30 made the top 50, so I wonder why there's so much disconnect between The Iron Giant and other people here.
I always tend to rate animated movies higher then most people, but The Iron Giant has always been the exception. It's hard to put my finger on the problem. I like the Brad Bird films from Pixar and at least on paper it sounds like a film I should love. However, it left me totally cold when it came out and I was 12 years old. I watched it again about two years ago and again it did nothing for me. Even though it isn't all that long ago since I saw it I have forgotten almost everything about it again, except thinking that it was somewhat sentimental and over-familiar. Perhaps its the connection to E.T., to which it definitely owes some debt. That, by the way, is another classic I couldn't get into as both a kid and as an adult, despite liking a lot of Spielberg films.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Gillingham wrote:
This really amazes me. If anything, this poll is biased, skewed, slanted and one sided in favour of American (and English language) films. Of the top 15 films a whopping 12 are American and only 1 is non-English. You didn't know this when you wrote this, but then why make early conclusions? Even 2 out of the 3 bottom films weren't American. The world, even in cinema, is much bigger than that country.
EDIT: good to see you realised yourself that you should have waited till all the results were in.

Anyway, thanks a lot for doing this poll Petri and also thanks to the commentators. I enjoyed the roll-out.
I already said what I said about this and then apologized for it. I'm a grown man and I don't need you to lecture me or didnt (and never would) ask for your opinion on what you think about this. I apologized and am moving on. I suggest you do the same.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

bootsy wrote:Petri, I just want to apologize for being disrespectful to you and your hard work on this and even if you don't think it was hard work I want to give you that credit. I honestly didn't mean to come off that way to anyone in here and I definitely jumped the gun and should have waited for the entire complete list to come out. You did a great job with this as you always do and I appreciate what you did. Thank you and hopefully no hard feelings.
Thanks bootsy. No hard feelings. I still recommend you (and everyone else) to watch some non-English movies. There's a whole world of cinema waiting on you :)
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

OK I release some basic statics.

The greatest gainers (by rank) (2016(2017) poll vs. 2010(2011) poll)
At least 20 spots up from last round.
1. Barton Fink Up 52
2. もののけ姫 [Princess Mononoke] Up 45
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day Up 42
4. Boogie Nights Up 42
5. Before Sunrise Up 41
6. Toy Story Up 39
7. Heat Up 39
8. Trainspotting Up 37
9. The Sweet Hereafter Up 35
10. The Player Up 32
11. The Piano Up 29
12. 重慶森林 [Chungking Express] Up 22
13. Naked Up 22
14. Saving Private Ryan Up 20

The greatest gainers (comparably)
The movies that at least halved their rank
1. Goodfellas 0,18-times its rank
2. Boogie Nights 0,21-times its rank
3. Unforgiven 0,21-times its rank
4. Trainspotting 0,24-times its rank
5. Before Sunrise 0,25-times its rank
6. もののけ姫 [Princess Mononoke] 0,29-times its rank
7. Terminator 2: Judgment Day 0,34-times its rank
8. The Piano 0,37-times its rank
9. Barton Fink 0,37-times its rank
10. The Big Lebowski 0,38-times its rank
11. Fight Club 0,38-times its rank
12. Heat 0,41-times its rank
13. Naked 0,42-times its rank

The biggest drops (by rank)
The movies that dropped at least 40 spots.
1. Léon [The Professional] Down 108
2. La vita è bella [Life is Beautiful]Down 85
3. Dazed and Confused Down 71
4. Funny Games Down 69
5. Rushmore Down 68
6. Total Recall Down 62
7. Twelve Monkeys Down 62
8. Miller's Crossing Down 54
9. La haine [Hate] Down 51
10. Thelma & Louise Down 50
11. Sling Blade Down 49
12. The Godfather, Part III Down 46
13. The English Patient Down 44
14. 阿飛正傳 [Days of Being Wild] Down 44
15. Clerks Down 43
16. Edward cissorhandsDown 43
17. Leaving Las Vegas Down 42
18. Dances with Wolves Down 41
19. Bad Lieutenant Down 40

Biggest drop (comparably)
The movies that at least doubled their rank
1. Funny Games 4-times its rank
2. Léon [The Professional] 3,57-times its rank
3. Fargo 3,5-times its rank
4. La vita è bella [Life is Beautiful]3,43-times its rank
5. The Shawshank Redemption 2,87-times its rank
6. Miller's Crossing 2,69-times its rank
7. Short Cuts 2,65-times its rank
8. The Usual Suspects 2,56-times its rank
9. The Matrix 2,41-times its rank
10. La haine [Hate] 2,38-times its rank
11. Rushmore 2,36-times its rank
12. Groundhog Day 2,28-times its rank
13. Dazed and Confused 2,2-times its rank
14. Trois couleurs: Rouge [Three Colors: Red] 2,08-times its rank
15. Jackie Brown 2,07-times its rank
16. The Silence of the Lambs 2-times its rank
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The highest "new" entries (the movies that missed the final (top 100) last time
1. Eyes Wide Shut #20
2. Rosetta #33
3. 牯嶺街少年殺人事件 [A Brighter Summer Day] #35
4. Hoop Dreams #46
5. Safe #48
6. Idioterne #49
7. The Remains of the Day #50
8. The Lion King #51
9. Tulitikkutehtaan tyttö [The Match Factory Girl] #59
10. Ed Wood #61

The movies that were last time in the final but missed this time the top 150 (rank in 2011 final)
33. Crna Macka, Beli Macor [Black Cat, White Cat]
48. Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers
73. Delicatessen
86. The Green Mile
90. Wayne's World
96. The Full Monty
97. The Rock
100. Philadelphia
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

The total points by year.
1. 1994 10445 points
2. 1999 10381 points
3. 1991 9862 points
4. 1998 9820 points
5. 1995 9751 points
6. 1997 9693 points
7. 1996 9615 points
8. 1993 9533 points
9. 1992 9386 points
10. 1990 9375 points

1994 won because Pulp Fiction was so sovereign. Surprised not to see 1996 at last or second last.

Years by average rank.
1. 1999 #55,1
2. 1994 #67,9
3. 1995 #69,5
4. 1991 #70,1
5. 1997 #72,3
6. 1998 #78,5
7. 1993 #81,3
8. 1996 #82,9
9. 1992 #86,7
10. 1990 #90,9

1999 dominated which isn't surprise at all (very strong year for US movie especially).
Last edited by Petri on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Average score by continent
1. Asia 664,0
2. Europe 643,3
3. USA 642,9
4. Australia, New Zealand and Canada :) 525,1

Average rank by continent
1. Asia 61,6
2. Europe 67,8
3. USA 80
4. Australia, New Zealand and Canada :) 85,2
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

And now some alternative lists

fredp, bonnielaurel and BleuPanda (who watched 100 % of the movies) were the only ones who voted comparably at least as many non-US- and US-movies. No one voted them more numerically (fredp was closest with 44 US-movies (48,4 %) and 41 non-US-movies (69,5 %).

Six voters voted two or less non-English movies (bootsy, stone37, Krurze, Bruno, Rocky Raccoon and notbrianeno)
Here's the list by them (excluded 49 movies that didn't get a single vote).
1. Pulp Fiction (No change)
2. Goodfellas (No change)
3. The Silence of the Lambs (Up 3)
4. Heat (Up 23)
5. Unforgiven (No change)
6. L.A. Confidential (Up 30)
7. The Shawshank Redemption (Up 36)
8. The Usual Suspects (Up 15)
9. Se7en (Up 35)
10. Schindler's List (Up 16)
11. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Up 11)
12. Forrest Gump (Up 83)
13. The Matrix (Up 40)
14. Fight Club (Down -4)
15. Toy Story (Up 27)
16. American Beauty (Down -3)
17. Saving Private Ryan (Up 38)
18. Fargo (Down -11)
19. Toy Story 2 (Up 52)
20. The Sixth Sense (Up 109)
21. Miller's Crossing (Up 65)
22. Boyz n the Hood (Up 46)
23. Quiz Show (Up 103)
24. Jerry Maguire (Up 113)
25. Trainspotting (Down -13)
26. Glengarry Glen Ross (Up 84)
27. The Godfather, Part III (Up 114)
28. Casino (Up 45)
29. The Truman Show (Up 46)
30. Boogie Nights (Down -19)
31. Eyes Wide Shut (Down -11)
32. The Player (Up 20)
33. The Piano (Down -16)
34. The Insider (Up 30)
35. American History X (Up 73)
36. The Big Lebowski (Down -33)
37. The Sweet Hereafter (Up 2)
38. Beauty and the Beast (Up 40)
39. Hoop Dreams (Up 7)
40. 攻殻機動隊 [Ghost in the Shell] (Up 37)
41. Groundhog Day (No change)
42. La vita è bella [Life is Beautiful](Up 78)
43. The Remains of the Day (Up 7)
44. Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse (Up 61)
45. Pusher (Up 66)
46. The Fugitive (Up 90)
47. When We Were Kings (Up 46)
48. Reservoir Dogs (Down -33)
49. The Lion King (Up 2)
50. In the Line of Fire (Up 97)
51. Out of Sight (Up 95)
52. Good Will Hunting (Up 83)
53. Lone Star (Up 38)
54. Howards End (Up 49)
55. Malcolm X (Up 61)
56. Barton Fink (Down -25)
57. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Up 91)
58. A Simple Plan(Up 59)
59. Election (Up 53)
60. Jurassic Park (Up 64)
61. The Ice Storm (Up 28)
62. The Straight Story (Up 10)
63. Wild at Heart (Up 44)
64. Point Break (Up 85)
65. Crumb (Up 25)
66. Clueless (Up 40)
67. Jackie Brown (Down -5)
68. The Thin Red Line (Down -49)
69. Ed Wood (Down -8)
70. JFK (Up 30)
71. The Crying Game (Up 43)
72. King of New York (Up 25)
73. Léon [The Professional] (Up 77)
74. Edward Scissorhands (Up 30)
75. Sling Blade (Up 56)
76. Before Sunrise (Down -62)
77. Dances with Wolves (Up 63)
78. Sleepless in Seattle (Up 66)
79. James and the Giant Peach (Up 66)
80. Rushmore (Up 38)
81. In the Name of the Father (Up 57)
82. もののけ姫 [Princess Mononoke] (Down -64)
83. Thelma & Louise (Up 36)
84. Secrets & Lies (Down -21)
85. Dazed and Confused (Up 45)
86. Clerks (Up 42)
87. The English Patient (Up 45)
88. The Iron Giant (Up 11)
89. Magnolia (Down -81)
90. Total Recall (Up 44)
91. Aladdin (Up 51)
92. Funny Games (No change)
93. Gattaca (Up 16)
94. Breaking the Waves (Down -85)