Grammys 2017

PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Grammys 2017

Post by PlasticRam »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/59th_Annual_Grammy_Awards

They've already handed out some of the awards.

Really interesting to see whether Adele or Beyonce wins AOTY. Even though I didn't like Lemonade that much, I'm still hoping for it to win cos 25 is a complete snoozefest IMO.

Or my personal fav is Sailor's Guide, but that'd be really unlikely to win.

Edit: I guess I should say "unlikely", instead of "really unlikely" to describe Sailor's chances.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Re: Grammys 2017

Post by PlasticRam »

I don't know a good live stream tbh. CBS is broadcasting.
I feel like that
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

PlasticRam wrote:Or my personal fav is Sailor's Guide, but that'd be really unlikely to win.
You say that as if the Grammys are in any way predictable.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Setherex wrote:
PlasticRam wrote:Or my personal fav is Sailor's Guide, but that'd be really unlikely to win.
You say that as if the Grammys are in any way predictable.
I believe they are somewhat. If we simulated 100 of this year's Grammy's, Sailor's Guide would win only about 8 or 9 of them according to bookies' odds.

Edit: Certainly more unpredictable than the Oscars though for some reason. Oscars more often get it right than Grammys IMO, although there's some problems with Oscars too.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bowie absolutely deserved it.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

StevieFan13 wrote:Bowie absolutely deserved it.
Yeah. Somewhat surprising actually that he didn't even get nominated for AOTY. But certainly not surprising that a quality album didn't get nominated.

He has sweeped the rock categories though. Has won 2 or 3 tonight.
I feel like that
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I wouldn't count Sturgill out entirely, because no one thought River: The Joni Letters or The Suburbs would have won. And this year, Sturgill's sound sits at a stark contrast with the other four, poppier releases. There's an outside chance that the vote gets split between the others to enough of an extent that Sturgill sneaks by.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Sincerely hoping Beyoncé is sweeping most of the awards she's nominated for. I can't believe it took me until two weeks ago to realize that Lemonade is a full-blown masterpiece.

But Sturgill pretty much only has a snowflake's chance in hell. Herbie Hancock and Arcade Fire were at least more known than Sturgill was.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

acroamor wrote:I wouldn't count Sturgill out entirely, because no one thought River: The Joni Letters or The Suburbs would have won. And this year, Sturgill's sound sits at a stark contrast with the other four, poppier releases. There's an outside chance that the vote gets split between the others to enough of an extent that Sturgill sneaks by.
Yeah I know. I just said he's unlikely to win, but still will win some of the time. I believe it's not a predetermined world.

I agree with your analysis.
I feel like that
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I trust in bookies and according to them, all the nominees for AOTY have at least a 1 in 20 chance to win. So don't count anyone out.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

That Beyonce performance though...
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

She is on a different plane from us mere mortals.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

The new Carpool Karaoke series looks promising. Like that Metallica's a part of it.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

There was some controversy when Adele supposedly swore during a George Michael tribute, but she started over and apologised multiple times, so I think that's no harm done.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:There was some controversy when Adele supposedly swore during a George Michael tribute, but she started over and apologised multiple times, so I think that's no harm done.
She's great and the song, while not my favorite George Michael song, is great. I'd love if it was Freedom '90 or something like that, though.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Tribe are killing it.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Bowie was nominated for 5 and he won all 5. That's pretty strong. Interesting if he would've been nominated for AOTY. He might've won, cos the voting for the award is different than voting for the nomination as far as I know.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:Bowie was nominated for 5 and he won all 5. That's pretty strong. Interesting if he would've been nominated for AOTY. He might've won, cos the voting for the award is different than voting for the nomination as far as I know.
Bowie, Chance, and Beyonce are all getting awards. Seems like a good night to me.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Yeah. And I don't mind "Hello" winning awards as that's actually a good pop song.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

PlasticRam wrote:Yeah. And I don't mind "Hello" winning awards as that's actually a good pop song.
As long as it isn't "7 Years."
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And Bruno Mars rocked that Prince tribute.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Best Grammy Performances: Bruno Mars, Metallica and Lady Gaga, the Prince tribute, Chance the Rapper, A Tribe Called Quest, Sturgill Simpson, George Michael tribute
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Alright. Another easy-listening album by a white artist winning Grammy AOTY. Nothing new here.

I mean I guess some people think that's a great album so fair enough I suppose.
I feel like that
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Fundamentally, I'm just glad the Chainsmokers, Bieber, and Lukas Graham walked away empty-handed. And Beyonce still won for stuff. I really like Adele, so I'm glad she won (though yes, Lemonade is way better).
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

PlasticRam wrote:Alright. Another easy-listening album by a white artist winning Grammy AOTY. Nothing new here.

I mean I guess some people think that's a great album so fair enough I suppose.
Okay, over 9 million people bought Adele's recent album. I'm fairly certain that some of the music lovers that I know bought it, too. They won't admit to it. It's a pretty interesting opposition of 21, where everyone admitted to having that album. Why're they keeping it quiet? Hmm... Maybe it's because the album's awful? Also "Hello" was such a stepback from the greatness of "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You". Adele so did not deserve anything tonight.

Seriously. How did Beyoncé lose this award?!

And, StevieFan, the Chainsmokers won an Grammy for Best Dance Recording.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote: And, StevieFan, the Chainsmokers won an Grammy for Best Dance Recording.
Boo. I missed that one. But yeah, you're all right. 21 is better than 25 and Lemonade is better than 25. No argument there. But it's good enough. You could do worse.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Yes I'm relatively young, but I don't think I have ever seen someone perform onstage pregnant, let alone with this much confidence and class! Amazing performance!

Beyonce full Grammys performance 2017
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Yes I'm relatively young, but I don't think I have ever seen someone perform onstage pregnant, let alone with this much confidence and class! Amazing performance!

M.I.A. had done many years ago..on the Grammys too.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

panam wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Yes I'm relatively young, but I don't think I have ever seen someone perform onstage pregnant, let alone with this much confidence and class! Amazing performance!

M.I.A. had done many years ago..on the Grammys too.
Thanks for the recommendation! Cool vid.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”