EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

arianagrande666
Superunknown

Re: EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Post by arianagrande666 »

beyonce deserves #1 tbh, ive listened to that album more than any other this year except maybe the life of pablo
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

arianagrande666 wrote:beyonce deserves #1 tbh, ive listened to that album more than any other this year except maybe the life of pablo
I think that would make Drake's "Views" our international album of the year, actually.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Personnally, I predicted that Bowie would top the UK and ROW lists, but that Beyoncé would top the US lists. Obviously, it seems I underestimated the competition she ultimately faced. I'm not surprised by Radiohead's ranking, only slightly annoyed, as it looks like they gather acclaim no matter what they put out (in fact, it's a rule that seems to apply to Wilco as well now, although their rankings of course aren't on the same scale. To be fair, it seems that the rule applies to Nick Cave too, except I believe it's deserved).

I still hope that before everything's said and done, Chance will top Kanye, and that Solange will top Beyoncé, although both are a long shot. I think that A Seat at the Table is better than Blonde even, but I believe that topping it will be impossible now.

Whatever, as I said before, I'm rather satisfied with the ranking as it's shaping out when taking into account the flaws I'm expecting from critics' lists. I just didn't want Radiohead and Kanye to be #1 and #2.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following, including a flood of Rest of the World lists:

USA/Canada:
Magnet

UK:
Classic Rock; Dummy; No Ripcord

Rest of the World:
Blow Up [Italy]; Kalporz [Italy]; Rumore [Italy]; Blitz (Intl & Natl) [Portugal]; MeHaceRuido (Intl & Spanish) [Mexico]; Knack Focus [Belgium]; Jenesaispop [Spain]; Muzikalia (Natl & Intl) [Spain]; Sonic [Sweden]; Nojesguiden (Intl & Natl) [Sweden]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Current top 100:

1 David Bowie / Blackstar
2 Frank Ocean / Blonde
3 Radiohead / A Moon Shaped Pool
4 Beyonce / Lemonade
5 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / Skeleton Tree
6 Solange / A Seat at the Table
7 Bon Iver / 22, A Million
8 Angel Olsen / My Woman
9 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
10 Anohni / Hopelessness
11 A Tribe Called Quest / We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
12 Leonard Cohen / You Want It Darker
13 Chance The Rapper / Coloring Book
14 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
15 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
16 Danny Brown / Atrocity Exhibition
17 Blood Orange / Freetown Sound
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
19 Mitski / Puberty 2
20 Jenny Hval / Blood Bitch
21 PJ Harvey / The Hope Six Demolition Project
22 Skepta / Konnichiwa
23 Rihanna / Anti
24 Kendrick Lamar / untitled unmastered.
25 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
26 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
27 The Avalanches / Wildflower
28 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
29 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
30 Whitney / Light Upon the Lake
31 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
32 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
35 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
36 Young Thug / JEFFERY
37 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
38 Savages / Adore Life
39 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
40 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
41 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
42 Drake / Views
43 YG / Still Brazy
44 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
45 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
46 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
47 Pinegrove / Cardinal
48 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
49 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
50 Anna Meredith / Varmints
51 Wilco / Schmilco
52 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
53 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
54 White Lung / Paradise
55 Lambchop / FLOTUS
56 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
57 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
58 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
59 Kano / Made in the Manor
60 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
61 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
62 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
63 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
64 DIIV / Is The Is Are
65 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
66 Teenage Fanclub / Here
67 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
68 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
69 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
70 Noname / Telefone
71 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
72 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
73 King / We Are King
74 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
75 Suede / Night Thoughts
76 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
77 Shura / Nothing's Real
78 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
79 Nao / For All We Know
80 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
81 Esperanza Spalding / Emily's D+Evolution
82 M83 / Junk
83 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
84 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
85 Tegan and Sara / Love You to Death
86 Maren Morris / Hero
87 Deftones / Gore
88 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
89 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
90 Charles Bradley / Changes
91 Wild Beasts / Boy King
92 Meilyr Jones / 2013
93 Bat for Lashes / The Bride
94 Nails / You Will Never Be One of Us
95 Touche Amore / Stage Four
96 Let's Eat Grandma / I, Gemini
97 Sunflower Bean / Human Ceremony
98 William Tyler / Modern Country
99 Julianna Barwick / Will
100 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

Anybody else notice there is an awful lot of crossover in terms of artists featured on other artists' albums on the upper reaches this year's list? This is just what comes up off the top of my head:

Blonde features James Blake, Andre 3000, Beyonce, Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead)
The Colour in Anything features Frank Ocean, Bon Iver
Lemonade features James Blake, Kendrick Lamar, Andre 3000, The Weeknd
We Got it From Here... features Kendrick Lamar, Andre 3000, Kanye West, Anderson .Paak
A Seat At the Table features Q-Tip, Beyonce, Andre 3000
Coloring Book features Kanye West, Bon Iver
Wildflower features Danny Brown
Atrocity Exhibition features Kendrick Lamar
The Life of Pablo features Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean, Andre 3000, The Weeknd, Beyonce
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Ok, so I promise this is not just to complain about how Teens of Denial being « only » ranked 29th in the UK is completely ruining its chances at reaching the top 10, but it’s interesting to see which albums are overlooked or especially beloved by one region.

The US :

Ranks significantly higher than the rest of the world :
Most hip-hop. That’s not really new, but they put We Got It From Here at #6 when UK and rest of the world have it at #16 and #17, Coloring Book at #4 vs #17 and #21, JEFFERY at #23 versus #89 and #88. To a lesser extent, this is also true for Kendrick Lamar and Danny Brown, only Kanye West mostly avoids the trend. That continues lower down the line with YG, ScHoolboy Q, Noname, Kevin Gates and others.
Beyonce and Rihanna, not an overall R&B trend though as Frank Ocean does well everywhere and Solange overperforms in the UK.
Country music, but I don’t think that’s breaking news.
Tim Hecker, ranked almost 100 ranks higher than in the UK and rest of the world.
Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, an album I expected to fare a bit better outside of the US.
M83, surprisingly, as I’d have expect more of a UK/France support.
Paul Simon

Ranks significantly lower :
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds : ranked #2 in the UK and Rest of the World, the album is only ranked #21 in the US. I’d say it’s more due to the fact that US ranked hip-hop and R&B very high and had to downgrade something, but it’s still pretty odd.
Iggy Pop – Post Pop Depression : currently #26 overall, the album is only #81 in the US. I’m always surprised when it’s the homeland that lacks support, but they are the one that got it right if you ask me.
Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate. #27 overall, 71st in the US. Too old school or too British for the US.
Skepta – Konniwhica : #22 overall, #104 in the US. Would it be that US don’t like when the UK tackles black music, like it’s the US private ground ? (also, Kate Tempest, though it’s technically not exactly “black music”)
PJ Harvey : #21 overall, #123 in the US.
Teenage Fanclub – Here : some people noticed with the first lists that the album was mentioned quite a lot, but its US #407 rank killed any chance it had of ranking high overall.

UK :
Ranked higher :
Solange – A Seat at the Table. Not by a huge margin, but still significantly enough.
Jenny Hval – Blood Bitch : Significantly impacted by 2 #1 spots by some of the most adventurous sources, the album is doing better in the UK than elsewhere
Anna Meredith – Vermints : (Unfairly) overlooked elsewhere, the album is ranked #22 in the UK, even with (surprisingly imo) no mention in Factmag list. Also in electronic music, Omar-S, Autechre and Brian Eno do much better in the UK than anywhere else.
Shirley Collins – Lodestar : without a single mention outside the UK, the album ranks #24 there. She is pretty much a legend of British folk but seems relatively unknown elsewhere.
UK hip-hop : Skepta as mentioned before, but also Kano.
UK Soul-pop : Meilyr Jones’ album 2013, despite not even having a Wikipedia page and having 0 mention outside the UK, still ranks #33 in the UK. Shura and Nao also have almost no mention outside UK.
Equiknoxx – Bird Sound Power : Jamaican dancehall seems like something Brits would love more, right in Fact’s alley as their #2 ranking confirms.
Suede – Night Thoughts : Brit pop will never die !
Lambchop – Flotus : another surprise, at it seems to me to be a very American album.
Let’s Eat Grandma - I, Gemini : maybe a bit overrated in the UK, this fun oddity would still deserve a bit of love from the rest of the world.
Noura Mint Seymali : Mauritanian music, somehow faring greatly in the UK.
I’ll skip Christine and the Queens, given that the discrepancies in ranking are due to release date too.

Ranked lower :
US rock : Parquet Courts, Car Seat Headrest, Whitney, Preoccupations, Pinegrove, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam and Wilco all have their lowest rank in the UK, which were too busy praising Pete Doherty and Suede. White Lung is also doing very poorly, though the “rest of the world” acclaim is even worse.
Hinds – Leave Me Alone : Disdain is not just for the US, Spain can also have their rock overlooked.
Nicolas Jaar : 84 spots below it’s current overall rank, that one is more of a mystery to me.

Rest of the World :
Ranked Higher :
Anticipated rock albums by acclaimed artists/bands : besides Bowie and Cave being #1 and #2, Radiohead, Bon Iver, Leonard Cohen, PJ Harvey and James Blake all rank higher there than in the UK and US
Local gems : not surprisingly, as music not in English have struggle reaching UK and US, you will find here a lot of releases in other languages, highest ranked is Triangulo de Amor Bizarro – Salve discordia, but you’ll also find more Spanish (Juventud Juche, Novedades Carminha)German (Isolation Berlin), French (La Femme), Swedish (Kent), Portuguese (Capitao Fausto), Finnish (Mikko Joensuu)... This is also true to some albums in English not very successful outside of their country of origin, like The Drones – Feelin Kinda Free, D.D Dumbo – Utopia Defeated, Flume – Skin, Camp Cope – Camp Cope (Australia), the Radio Dept – Running Out of Love (Sweden), Moderat – III (German) and the Spanish girls of Hinds – Leave Me Alone (who are doing a bit better in the US and the UK though). There is even a Papua New Guinea artist ranked #72.
The Weekend, The Last Shadow Puppets, Warpaint, Metronomy and Hope Sandoval… don’t ask me whyt, but for 4 out of 5 of them, I can confirm a general love in Europe for them.

Ranked much lower :
For UK and US albums, rest of the world is often either in the middle ground or aligned with the UK, so hard to find a pattern. Still, notable ones :
Mitski – Puberty 2
Kaytranada – 99,99%
Drake – Views
Lambchop – FLOTUS
Cass McCombs – Mangy Love
Margo Price – Midwest Farmer’s Daughter
Oranssi Pazuzu – Varahtelija (the odd one, since it is Finnish)
The 1975 – I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are so Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It (0 mention, because someone had to stop this nonsense)
I think only the 1975 and Drake are reflect of a general disdain for those albums, the others are most likely merely not much known.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Nassim wrote:Ok, so I promise this is not just to complain about how Teens of Denial being « only » ranked 29th in the UK is completely ruining its chances at reaching the top 10, but it’s interesting to see which albums are overlooked or especially beloved by one region.

The US :

Ranks significantly higher than the rest of the world :
Most hip-hop. That’s not really new, but they put We Got It From Here at #6 when UK and rest of the world have it at #16 and #17, Coloring Book at #4 vs #17 and #21, JEFFERY at #23 versus #89 and #88. To a lesser extent, this is also true for Kendrick Lamar and Danny Brown, only Kanye West mostly avoids the trend. That continues lower down the line with YG, ScHoolboy Q, Noname, Kevin Gates and others.
Beyonce and Rihanna, not an overall R&B trend though as Frank Ocean does well everywhere and Solange overperforms in the UK.
Country music, but I don’t think that’s breaking news.
Tim Hecker, ranked almost 100 ranks higher than in the UK and rest of the world.
Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, an album I expected to fare a bit better outside of the US.
M83, surprisingly, as I’d have expect more of a UK/France support.
Paul Simon

Ranks significantly lower :
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds : ranked #2 in the UK and Rest of the World, the album is only ranked #21 in the US. I’d say it’s more due to the fact that US ranked hip-hop and R&B very high and had to downgrade something, but it’s still pretty odd.
Iggy Pop – Post Pop Depression : currently #26 overall, the album is only #81 in the US. I’m always surprised when it’s the homeland that lacks support, but they are the one that got it right if you ask me.
Michael Kiwanuka – Love & Hate. #27 overall, 71st in the US. Too old school or too British for the US.
Skepta – Konniwhica : #22 overall, #104 in the US. Would it be that US don’t like when the UK tackles black music, like it’s the US private ground ? (also, Kate Tempest, though it’s technically not exactly “black music”)
PJ Harvey : #21 overall, #123 in the US.
Teenage Fanclub – Here : some people noticed with the first lists that the album was mentioned quite a lot, but its US #407 rank killed any chance it had of ranking high overall.

UK :
Ranked higher :
Solange – A Seat at the Table. Not by a huge margin, but still significantly enough.
Jenny Hval – Blood Bitch : Significantly impacted by 2 #1 spots by some of the most adventurous sources, the album is doing better in the UK than elsewhere
Anna Meredith – Vermints : (Unfairly) overlooked elsewhere, the album is ranked #22 in the UK, even with (surprisingly imo) no mention in Factmag list. Also in electronic music, Omar-S, Autechre and Brian Eno do much better in the UK than anywhere else.
Shirley Collins – Lodestar : without a single mention outside the UK, the album ranks #24 there. She is pretty much a legend of British folk but seems relatively unknown elsewhere.
UK hip-hop : Skepta as mentioned before, but also Kano.
UK Soul-pop : Meilyr Jones’ album 2013, despite not even having a Wikipedia page and having 0 mention outside the UK, still ranks #33 in the UK. Shura and Nao also have almost no mention outside UK.
Equiknoxx – Bird Sound Power : Jamaican dancehall seems like something Brits would love more, right in Fact’s alley as their #2 ranking confirms.
Suede – Night Thoughts : Brit pop will never die !
Lambchop – Flotus : another surprise, at it seems to me to be a very American album.
Let’s Eat Grandma - I, Gemini : maybe a bit overrated in the UK, this fun oddity would still deserve a bit of love from the rest of the world.
Noura Mint Seymali : Mauritanian music, somehow faring greatly in the UK.
I’ll skip Christine and the Queens, given that the discrepancies in ranking are due to release date too.

Ranked lower :
US rock : Parquet Courts, Car Seat Headrest, Whitney, Preoccupations, Pinegrove, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam and Wilco all have their lowest rank in the UK, which were too busy praising Pete Doherty and Suede. White Lung is also doing very poorly, though the “rest of the world” acclaim is even worse.
Hinds – Leave Me Alone : Disdain is not just for the US, Spain can also have their rock overlooked.
Nicolas Jaar : 84 spots below it’s current overall rank, that one is more of a mystery to me.

Rest of the World :
Ranked Higher :
Anticipated rock albums by acclaimed artists/bands : besides Bowie and Cave being #1 and #2, Radiohead, Bon Iver, Leonard Cohen, PJ Harvey and James Blake all rank higher there than in the UK and US
Local gems : not surprisingly, as music not in English have struggle reaching UK and US, you will find here a lot of releases in other languages, highest ranked is Triangulo de Amor Bizarro – Salve discordia, but you’ll also find more Spanish (Juventud Juche, Novedades Carminha)German (Isolation Berlin), French (La Femme), Swedish (Kent), Portuguese (Capitao Fausto), Finnish (Mikko Joensuu)... This is also true to some albums in English not very successful outside of their country of origin, like The Drones – Feelin Kinda Free, D.D Dumbo – Utopia Defeated, Flume – Skin, Camp Cope – Camp Cope (Australia), the Radio Dept – Running Out of Love (Sweden), Moderat – III (German) and the Spanish girls of Hinds – Leave Me Alone (who are doing a bit better in the US and the UK though). There is even a Papua New Guinea artist ranked #72.
The Weekend, The Last Shadow Puppets, Warpaint, Metronomy and Hope Sandoval… don’t ask me whyt, but for 4 out of 5 of them, I can confirm a general love in Europe for them.

Ranked much lower :
For UK and US albums, rest of the world is often either in the middle ground or aligned with the UK, so hard to find a pattern. Still, notable ones :
Mitski – Puberty 2
Kaytranada – 99,99%
Drake – Views
Lambchop – FLOTUS
Cass McCombs – Mangy Love
Margo Price – Midwest Farmer’s Daughter
Oranssi Pazuzu – Varahtelija (the odd one, since it is Finnish)
The 1975 – I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are so Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It (0 mention, because someone had to stop this nonsense)
I think only the 1975 and Drake are reflect of a general disdain for those albums, the others are most likely merely not much known.
As an American who's a huge fan of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, I can say this is nothing new. On the decade end lists, Abattoir Blues was ranked like 674 among U.S. critics in 2009. One time I tried to crunch very, very, rough numbers to see what an all U.S. critic list would look like, and no Nick Cave album fell inside the top 1,000. He simply never conquered America.

As probably the biggest Wilco fan on the board, I can say that the UK has been dragging down the ranks of Wilco albums for the entire time this site has been open. I know there is a segment of the board that has told me they don't get anything out of Wilco, but Wilco was basically the most acclaimed North American band post Nirvana/ Pre-Arcade Fire over here. They were an institution for eight years, and kind of went down hill as Jeff Tweedy fired most of that band that produced boom period Wilco albums. YHF would be a lot closer to Funeral, Is This It and Kid A than it is based on U.S. and ROW rankings. Wilco just never did well in the UK, though I'd say they usually do better than Nick Cave does in America.

I think part of the charm of Acclaimed Music vs opening up an NME, or scrolling through pitchfork is the true consensus albums rise to the top, while the local favorites can still be celebrated. I guarantee you there's no list in the world where you will find U.S. Indie Rock mega classic Modest Mouse- Moon and Antarctica (Almost completely ignored in the UK), and Brit legends/ U.S. one hit wonders Dexy's Midnight Runners Search For the Young Soul Rebels ranked 11 spots apart, but that's what aggregation does. Gives you a bit of everything.
jlebre
Debut

Post by jlebre »

Here goes an update with the list from the portuguese magazine Blitz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

jlebre wrote:Here goes an update with the list from the portuguese magazine Blitz
I have already added Blitz to the spreadsheet - please note that updates are posted regularly in this thread. The most recent update is just a few posts above this one.

Also, please do not post your own spreadsheet updates!!! That's my job, and while I appreciate the impulse to help, it isn't necessary.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Not too many new eligible lists the last few days, but it's been a week since the last update so I figured I'd post. Updated with:

USA/Canada:
Earbuddy; Pigeons & Planes; Sputnikmusic; XLR8R; Spectrum Culture

UK/Ireland:
Digital Fix; Irish Times

Rest of the World:
Spex [Germany]; Rolling Stone [Germany]
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Blackstar is now officially 200 points ahead of its closest competitor - I don't think there's ever been a gap that wide during all the years I've been doing this spreadsheet.

Current top 100:

2 Frank Ocean / Blonde
3 Radiohead / A Moon Shaped Pool
4 Beyonce / Lemonade
5 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / Skeleton Tree
8 Angel Olsen / My Woman
9 Anohni / Hopelessness
10 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
11 A Tribe Called Quest / We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
12 Chance The Rapper / Coloring Book
13 Leonard Cohen / You Want It Darker
14 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
15 Danny Brown / Atrocity Exhibition
16 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
19 Mitski / Puberty 2
21 Skepta / Konnichiwa
22 PJ Harvey / The Hope Six Demolition Project
23 Rihanna / Anti
24 Kendrick Lamar / untitled unmastered.
25 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
26 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
27 The Avalanches / Wildflower
28 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
29 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
31 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
32 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
33 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
34 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
35 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
36 Savages / Adore Life
37 Young Thug / JEFFERY
38 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
39 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
40 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
41 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
42 YG / Still Brazy
43 Wilco / Schmilco
44 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
45 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
46 Drake / Views
47 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
48 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
49 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
50 Anna Meredith / Varmints
51 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
52 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
53 Pinegrove / Cardinal
54 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
55 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
56 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
57 DIIV / Is The Is Are
58 White Lung / Paradise
59 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
60 Lambchop / FLOTUS
61 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
62 Noname / Telefone
63 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
64 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
65 Kano / Made in the Manor
66 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
67 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
68 Teenage Fanclub / Here
69 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
70 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
71 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
72 Swans / The Glowing Man
73 Shura / Nothing's Real
74 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
75 King / We Are King
76 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
77 Suede / Night Thoughts
78 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
79 Tegan and Sara / Love You to Death
80 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
81 Nao / For All We Know
82 Touche Amore / Stage Four
83 Deftones / Gore
84 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
85 Esperanza Spalding / Emily's D+Evolution
86 M83 / Junk
87 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
88 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
89 Maren Morris / Hero
90 The Weeknd / Starboy
91 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
92 Huerco S. / For Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
93 Julianna Barwick / Will
94 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
95 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
96 Charles Bradley / Changes
97 Wild Beasts / Boy King
98 Meilyr Jones / 2013
99 Bat for Lashes / The Bride
100 Ian William Craig / Centres
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Harold wrote:Not too many new eligible lists the last few days, but it's been a week since the last update so I figured I'd post. Updated with:
Tsugi (France) is complete now.

Thanks.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada:
HipHopDX; A Closer Listen; Austin Town Hall; The Owl

UK/Ireland:
State [Ireland]

Rest of the World:
New Noise [France]; Rock De Lux (Intl & Natl) [Spain]; Visions [Germany]; Efe Eme (Intl & Natl) [Spain]; Hipersonica (Natl) [Spain]; Mondosonoro (Natl) [Spain]; Tsugi [France]; De Morgen [Belgium]; Dagsavisen [Norway]; Super 45 [Chile]; Ondarock [Italy]; A Voir A Lire [France]

Current top 100:

2 Radiohead / A Moon Shaped Pool
3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
4 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / Skeleton Tree
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
7 Angel Olsen / My Woman
8 Bon Iver / 22, A Million
10 A Tribe Called Quest / We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
11 Anohni / Hopelessness
14 Danny Brown / Atrocity Exhibition
15 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
16 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
19 PJ Harvey / The Hope Six Demolition Project
21 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Skepta / Konnichiwa
23 Rihanna / Anti
24 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
25 Kendrick Lamar / untitled unmastered.
27 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
28 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
29 Whitney / Light Upon the Lake
30 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
31 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
32 The Avalanches / Wildflower
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Savages / Adore Life
35 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
36 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
38 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
39 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
40 Young Thug / JEFFERY
41 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
42 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
43 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
44 YG / Still Brazy
45 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
46 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
47 Wilco / Schmilco
48 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
49 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
50 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
51 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
52 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
53 Drake / Views
54 White Lung / Paradise
55 Lambchop / FLOTUS
56 Swans / The Glowing Man
57 DIIV / Is The Is Are
58 Anna Meredith / Varmints
59 Pinegrove / Cardinal
60 Teenage Fanclub / Here
61 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
62 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
63 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
64 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
65 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
66 Noname / Telefone
67 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
68 Touche Amore / Stage Four
69 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
70 Warpaint / Heads Up
71 Suede / Night Thoughts
72 Kano / Made in the Manor
73 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
74 Deftones / Gore
75 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
76 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
77 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
78 Moderat / III
79 Shura / Nothing's Real
80 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
81 The Weeknd / Starboy
82 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
83 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
84 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
85 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
86 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
87 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
88 Dinosaur Jr. / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
89 King / We Are King
90 Tegan and Sara / Love You to Death
91 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
92 Nao / For All We Know
93 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
94 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
95 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
96 Charles Bradley / Changes
97 Esperanza Spalding / Emily's D+Evolution
98 M83 / Junk
99 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
100 William Tyler / Modern Country
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I know the points aren't a necessary 1 to 1, but if Blackstar has more points than to Pimp a Butterfly did last year, and To Pimp a Butterfly is set to enter at 100 of all time, doesn't it stand to reason that Blackstar might do the same?
discord
Let's Get It On

Post by discord »

Blackstar could be top 50
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

You don't consider Revista Shock from Colombia ;(
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

After an album has been released it is usually not heralded as a "classic" until after a few years or so. When new albums don't appear in all-time lists (and even "decade so far" lists) they can't maintain their initial positions on AM. I am currently working on an adjustment to the formula to address this issue to some extent. This means that "To Pimp a Butterfly" will probably not be in the top 100 in the next site update, but rather somewhere near "good kid, m.A.A.d city".

I can't say anything about "Blackstar" at this stage.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
JoseDRengifoM
Debut

Post by JoseDRengifoM »

If Blackstar makes the top 50, is going to be the most acclaimed record of his entire career after Ziggy...

PD: I also believe Colombia's Shock magazine should be taken in consideration. Is one of the most important music magazines in Latinamerica.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

There's no way "Blackstar" cracks the top 50 on its first update. No way, no way, no way, no way. "To Pimp a Butterfly" is, to my knowledge, the only album to crack the top 100 on its first update, and according to Henrik's new formula, it won't even be able to do that any longer.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Wow, I'm surprised Lemonade keeps falling. I initially thought it was more likely for Beyonce to catch Bowie than for Nick Cave to catch her, but I guess I was wrong.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Henrik wrote:After an album has been released it is usually not heralded as a "classic" until after a few years or so. When new albums don't appear in all-time lists (and even "decade so far" lists) they can't maintain their initial positions on AM. I am currently working on an adjustment to the formula to address this issue to some extent. This means that "To Pimp a Butterfly" will probably not be in the top 100 in the next site update, but rather somewhere near "good kid, m.A.A.d city".

I can't say anything about "Blackstar" at this stage.
On the other hand, that's how it should be too in a way. Perhaps just not penalise the brand new albums for not showing up in new all-time lists as much, but I remember you have said you already do this somewhat, as old albums that fail to show up at new all-time lists suffer a harsher effect than new albums.
I feel like that
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

andyd1010 wrote:Wow, I'm surprised Lemonade keeps falling. I initially thought it was more likely for Beyonce to catch Bowie than for Nick Cave to catch her, but I guess I was wrong.
"I'm praying that you catch me..." sorry, I had to...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

andyd1010 wrote:Wow, I'm surprised Lemonade keeps falling. I initially thought it was more likely for Beyonce to catch Bowie than for Nick Cave to catch her, but I guess I was wrong.
And Radiohead has now passed Frank Ocean as well to take over the #2 spot. Also of note: PJ Harvey has replaced Mitski in the top 20 (surprisingly, Hope Six is displaying considerably more strength in the Rest of the World lists than it is not only in the U.S. but in the U.K. as well).
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

I'm surprised Anderson .Paak ranked so high in the end, often albums that come out in January get forgotten about to some extent come the end of the year, unless they're a phenomenon like Blackstar and Merriweather Post Pavilion. Interesting to see it buck the trend.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Now that I'm thinking about it, when was the last time the top 2 albums from a year were by artists in the all-time top 10 on acclaimed music? It must have been a while...1984?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Been adding a few Rest of the World lists this week. I don't want to post an updated spreadsheet until the Les Inrocks top 100 list is complete, but I thought I'd post an updated top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
8 Angel Olsen / My Woman
11 Anohni / Hopelessness
14 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
15 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
21 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Skepta / Konnichiwa
23 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
24 Rihanna / Anti
26 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
27 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
28 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
29 Whitney / Light Upon the Lake
30 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Savages / Adore Life
35 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
36 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
37 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
39 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
40 Young Thug / JEFFERY
43 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
45 YG / Still Brazy
46 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
47 Drake / Views
48 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
49 Wilco / Schmilco
50 Swans / The Glowing Man
51 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
52 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
53 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
54 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
55 White Lung / Paradise
56 Lambchop / FLOTUS
57 DIIV / Is The Is Are
59 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
60 Pinegrove / Cardinal
61 Teenage Fanclub / Here
62 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
63 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
64 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
65 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
66 Touche Amore / Stage Four
67 Noname / Telefone
68 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
69 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
70 Moderat / III
71 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
72 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
73 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
74 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
75 Warpaint / Heads Up
76 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
77 Suede / Night Thoughts
78 Kano / Made in the Manor
79 Deftones / Gore
80 The Weeknd / Starboy
81 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
82 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
83 Shura / Nothing's Real
84 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
85 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
86 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
87 Andy Shauf / The Party
88 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
89 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
90 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
91 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
92 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
93 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
94 Wild Beasts / Boy King
95 Dinosaur Jr. / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
96 King / We Are King
97 Get Well Soon / Love
98 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
99 Bat for Lashes / The Bride
100 Tegan and Sara / Love You to Death
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

Rest of the World:
Les Inrockuptibles (complete top 100) [France]; Revista Shock [Colombia]; PopNews [France]; Goute mes Disques (5 top 15 album lists by genre) [France]; Rock & Folk [France]; Rolling Stone-France [France]; Juice [Germany]; Plattentests [Germany]; Tonspion [Germany]; Sentire Ascoltare [Italy]; Liberation [France]

Current top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
8 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
9 Angel Olsen / My Woman
11 Anohni / Hopelessness
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
21 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Skepta / Konnichiwa
24 Rihanna / Anti
26 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
27 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
29 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Savages / Adore Life
36 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
37 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
39 Young Thug / JEFFERY
43 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
45 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
46 Drake / Views
47 YG / Still Brazy
48 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
49 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
50 Wilco / Schmilco
51 Swans / The Glowing Man
52 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
55 DIIV / Is The Is Are
56 White Lung / Paradise
57 Lambchop / FLOTUS
59 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
60 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
61 Pinegrove / Cardinal
62 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
63 Teenage Fanclub / Here
64 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
65 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
66 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
67 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
68 Touche Amore / Stage Four
69 Noname / Telefone
70 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
71 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
72 Moderat / III
73 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
74 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
75 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
76 Warpaint / Heads Up
77 The Weeknd / Starboy
78 Suede / Night Thoughts
79 Kano / Made in the Manor
80 Deftones / Gore
81 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
82 Autechre / elseq 1-5
83 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
84 Shura / Nothing's Real
85 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
86 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
87 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
88 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
89 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
90 Get Well Soon / Love
91 Andy Shauf / The Party
92 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
93 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
94 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
96 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
97 Wild Beasts / Boy King
98 Dinosaur Jr. / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
99 King / We Are King
100 Bat for Lashes / The Bride

I'm anticipating that the results of the Village Voice Music Critics Poll (yes, they've decided to retire the Pazz & Jop title) will be out as soon as Tuesday, but an update is overdue. We're in the home stretch here, with only a few lists (including some that seem to be unaccountably late this year) still to come.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thanks for all this great work Harold

I spotted some double ups:-

Bolzer - Hero
Deakin - Sleep Cycle
Gorguts - Pleiades Dust
Florist - The Birds Outside Sang
Mizmor - Yodh
Paul Jebanasam - Continuum
Tortel - Transparente
The Coathangers - Nosebleed Weekend
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

DaveC wrote:Thanks for all this great work Harold

I spotted some double ups:-

Bolzer - Hero
Deakin - Sleep Cycle
Gorguts - Pleiades Dust
Florist - The Birds Outside Sang
Mizmor - Yodh
Paul Jebanasam - Continuum
Tortel - Transparente
The Coathangers - Nosebleed Weekend
Thanks for catching these - all fixed!

Again, I will post an update when there are new lists to add - specifically, the Village Voice Music Critics Poll (formerly known as Pazz & Jop), which seems to be a bit late this year.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Village Voice update: according to a post on the ILXOR boards by the P&J stats guy, Glenn MacDonald, the Music Critics Poll isn't going to be published for another two weeks (the January 25th issue). Well, that's two days wasted for me!
LZ
The Only Way Is Up

Post by LZ »

Just wondering if most of you agree listening time = best
I suppose a person could appreciate an album but not play it because they're not in the mood... or whatever.
My 2016 albums by amount of listening time
1. Coloring Book
2. Blonde
3. TLOP
4. AMSP
5. Lemonade
6. WGIFHTYFYS
7. 22 A million
8. No Burden
9. Atrocity Exhibition
10. Farewell Starlite!
7-10 I typically played only certain songs
Dreaming of a thought that could dream about a thought that could think of the dreamer that thought that could think of dreaming and getting a glimmer of God
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada:
XXL

Rest of the World:
Porcys [Poland]; Rockerilla [Italy]

Current top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
8 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
9 Angel Olsen / My Woman
11 Anohni / Hopelessness
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
21 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Skepta / Konnichiwa
24 Rihanna / Anti
27 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Savages / Adore Life
36 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
39 Young Thug / JEFFERY
41 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
42 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
43 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
44 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
45 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
46 Drake / Views
47 YG / Still Brazy
48 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
49 Swans / The Glowing Man
50 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
51 Wilco / Schmilco
55 DIIV / Is The Is Are
56 White Lung / Paradise
57 Lambchop / FLOTUS
59 Teenage Fanclub / Here
60 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
61 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
62 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
63 Pinegrove / Cardinal
64 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
65 Noname / Telefone
66 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
67 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
68 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
69 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
70 Touche Amore / Stage Four
72 Moderat / III
73 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
74 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
75 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
76 Warpaint / Heads Up
77 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
78 The Weeknd / Starboy
79 Suede / Night Thoughts
80 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
81 Kano / Made in the Manor
82 Deftones / Gore
83 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
84 Autechre / elseq 1-5
85 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
86 Shura / Nothing's Real
87 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
88 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
89 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
90 Get Well Soon / Love
91 Andy Shauf / The Party
92 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
93 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
94 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
96 GOAT / Requiem
97 Huerco S. / For Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
98 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
99 Wild Beasts / Boy King
100 Dinosaur Jr. / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada:
Time Out New York; Pazz & Jop-Village Voice Music Critics Poll

Rest of the World:
Rolling Stone-Brazil; Rolling Stone-Argentina

Screenagers [Poland] will have its list up before the end of the week, but I wanted to post ASAP after the Village Voice poll came out.

Current top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
7 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
9 Angel Olsen / My Woman
11 Leonard Cohen / You Want It Darker
12 Anohni / Hopelessness
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
20 Mitski / Puberty 2
21 Jenny Hval / Blood Bitch
22 Rihanna / Anti
23 Skepta / Konnichiwa
33 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
34 Savages / Adore Life
35 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
36 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
37 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
39 Young Thug / JEFFERY
44 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
45 YG / Still Brazy
46 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
47 Drake / Views
48 Wilco / Schmilco
49 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
50 Swans / The Glowing Man
54 Noname / Telefone
55 Lambchop / FLOTUS
56 White Lung / Paradise
57 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
58 DIIV / Is The Is Are
59 Pinegrove / Cardinal
60 Anna Meredith / Varmints
61 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
62 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
63 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
64 Teenage Fanclub / Here
65 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
66 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
67 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
68 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
69 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
70 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
72 Touche Amore / Stage Four
73 Moderat / III
74 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
75 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
76 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
77 Warpaint / Heads Up
78 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
79 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
80 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
81 Autechre / elseq 1-5
82 The Weeknd / Starboy
83 Suede / Night Thoughts
84 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
85 Kano / Made in the Manor
86 Deftones / Gore
87 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
88 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
89 King / We Are King
90 Shura / Nothing's Real
91 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
92 Huerco S. / For Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
93 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
94 Get Well Soon / Love
96 Andy Shauf / The Party
97 William Tyler / Modern Country
98 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
99 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
100 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I was checking the XLS file and I want to know why from Spanish media as MundoSonoro or Hipersonica are considered both the International and National Lists but from magazines a Rolling Stone Brazil or Revista Shock were considered only the International List (RS Brazil published a National list and Shock published a National and Latin American list too)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

panam wrote:I was checking the XLS file and I want to know why from Spanish media as MundoSonoro or Hipersonica are considered both the International and National Lists but from magazines a Rolling Stone Brazil or Revista Shock were considered only the International List (RS Brazil published a National list and Shock published a National and Latin American list too)
Henrik had to make alterations to the formulas to accommodate the column placement of the national lists in this year's spreadsheet, and likely would have needed to do it again if I'd added more. On a purely personal note, by the time these later sources were added, I was starting to get a little burned out on doing the spreadsheet (as I usually do by this point), and simply didn't feel like adding lists that were going to have little-to-no impact on the higher album rankings. An editorial decision (I'll own up to it being a selfish one) on my part. Henrik can and should take these lists into consideration, of course, but they're not going on the spreadsheet.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Harold wrote:
panam wrote:I was checking the XLS file and I want to know why from Spanish media as MundoSonoro or Hipersonica are considered both the International and National Lists but from magazines a Rolling Stone Brazil or Revista Shock were considered only the International List (RS Brazil published a National list and Shock published a National and Latin American list too)
Henrik had to make alterations to the formulas to accommodate the column placement of the national lists in this year's spreadsheet, and likely would have needed to do it again if I'd added more. On a purely personal note, by the time these later sources were added, I was starting to get a little burned out on doing the spreadsheet (as I usually do by this point), and simply didn't feel like adding lists that were going to have little-to-no impact on the higher album rankings. An editorial decision (I'll own up to it being a selfish one) on my part. Henrik can and should take these lists into consideration, of course, but they're not going on the spreadsheet.
That's ok. But some albums Céu's "Tropix", J Balvin's "Energia" or Los Fabulosos Cadillacs "La Salvación de Solo y Juan" (the first two were mentioned in some list of US/UK) could have some better performance in the final results. Some of them could be on the Top 150 easily. The National addings of Spanish lists benefits some of them to be part in the Top 200
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada:
Fader

Rest of the World:
Screenagers [Poland]

And that's pretty much a wrap for the EOY Albums Spreadsheet. I'm now officially done obsessively checking websites for lists. If a couple of stragglers from the previously-eligible-sources list finally get around to compiling theirs, or if someone finally gets hold of the pay-for-play De Volkskrant [Netherlands] list, I will of course update the spreadsheet if those lists get posted here. I'll also update when either Beyonce or Adele wins the Grammy for Album of the Year.

Other than that, here is the current (final?) top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
9 Angel Olsen / My Woman
12 Anohni / Hopelessness
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
20 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Rihanna / Anti
23 Skepta / Konnichiwa
32 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
33 The Avalanches / Wildflower
34 Savages / Adore Life
35 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
36 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
38 Young Thug / JEFFERY
39 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
45 Drake / Views
46 YG / Still Brazy
47 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
48 Wilco / Schmilco
50 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
54 Noname / Telefone
55 Lambchop / FLOTUS
56 White Lung / Paradise
58 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
59 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
60 DIIV / Is The Is Are
61 Pinegrove / Cardinal
62 Anna Meredith / Varmints
63 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
64 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
65 Teenage Fanclub / Here
66 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
67 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
68 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
69 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
70 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
72 Touche Amore / Stage Four
73 Moderat / III
74 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
75 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
76 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
77 Warpaint / Heads Up
78 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
79 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
80 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
81 Autechre / elseq 1-5
82 The Weeknd / Starboy
83 Suede / Night Thoughts
84 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
85 Kano / Made in the Manor
86 Huerco S. / For Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
87 Deftones / Gore
88 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
89 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
90 King / We Are King
91 Shura / Nothing's Real
92 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
93 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
94 Get Well Soon / Love
96 Andy Shauf / The Party
97 William Tyler / Modern Country
98 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
99 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
100 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers

Once again, immense gratitude and thanks to everyone who helped create the spreadsheet by posting lists. I truly could not do this without all of you.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Immense gratitude and thanks to you as well, Harold! AM would not be what it is without your yearly participation!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated - for the last time - with:

USA/Canada:
Grammy Awards [updated with Album of the Year winner]

UK/Ireland:
Kerrang!

Rest of the World:
The Music [Australia]; Il Mucchio Selvaggio [Italy]

Final top 100:

3 Frank Ocean / Blonde
5 Beyonce / Lemonade
9 Angel Olsen / My Woman
12 Anohni / Hopelessness
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
20 Mitski / Puberty 2
22 Rihanna / Anti
24 Skepta / Konnichiwa
31 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
32 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
33 The Avalanches / Wildflower
34 Savages / Adore Life
35 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
38 Young Thug / JEFFERY
39 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
45 Drake / Views
46 YG / Still Brazy
47 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
48 Wilco / Schmilco
50 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
54 Noname / Telefone
55 Lambchop / FLOTUS
56 White Lung / Paradise
58 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
59 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
60 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
61 DIIV / Is The Is Are
62 Pinegrove / Cardinal
63 Anna Meredith / Varmints
64 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
65 The Rolling Stones / Blue & Lonesome
66 Teenage Fanclub / Here
67 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
68 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
69 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
70 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
71 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
72 Deftones / Gore
73 Touche Amore / Stage Four
74 Autechre / elseq 1-5
75 Moderat / III
76 The Last Shadow Puppets / Everything You've Come to Expect
77 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
78 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
79 Warpaint / Heads Up
80 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
81 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
82 Isaiah Rashad / The Sun's Tirade
83 The Weeknd / Starboy
84 Suede / Night Thoughts
85 Travis Scott / Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight
86 Kano / Made in the Manor
87 Huerco S. / For Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have)
88 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
89 Triangulo de Amor Bizarro / Salve discordia
90 Glass Animals / How to Be a Human Being
91 King / We Are King
92 Shura / Nothing's Real
93 GOAT / Requiem
94 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
95 Get Well Soon / Love
96 Dinosaur Jr. / Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
97 Andy Shauf / The Party
98 William Tyler / Modern Country
99 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
100 Nails / You Will Never Be One of Us
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Thanks again for the hard work, Harold!
Styx
Start Me Up

Post by Styx »

Interesting Adele sweeps the Grammys but not does appear on the list of top 100 albums of the year.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Styx wrote:Interesting Adele sweeps the Grammys but not does appear on the list of top 100 albums of the year.
"25" is from 2015.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Bruno wrote:
Styx wrote:Interesting Adele sweeps the Grammys but not does appear on the list of top 100 albums of the year.
"25" is from 2015.
And Taylor Swift's 1989, which won Album of the Year for 2015, was released in 2014. You can thank the Grammys' peculiar definition of "the year" for all this. I did enter Adele's album into the spreadsheet and with the Grammy win it's #424. Its points will need to be added to the points it accumulated last year (as is the case with Swift's album for its year).
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

What happened to those lists that Harold never included? :(

Return to “EOY 2016”