Help wanted!

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Help wanted!

Post by Henrik »

Phew! I'm still sorry for the other 7 lists you added for no reason, but that's great news.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Keepin' it rollin': Chilton, Vega & Vaughn's "Cubist Blues" is featured as "99900265" and "99901024".
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Les Dogs' "Too Much Class for the Neighbourhood" is featured as both "99903047" and "99906557".
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:Les Dogs' "Too Much Class for the Neighbourhood" is featured as both "99903047" and "99906557".
Hmm, according to their album covers, they always seem to call themselves just "Dogs"...?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:Les Dogs' "Too Much Class for the Neighbourhood" is featured as both "99903047" and "99906557".
Hmm, according to their album covers, they always seem to call themselves just "Dogs"...?
Indeed. The press tends to always refer to them as "Les Dogs" (as a reminder, "Les" is the French plural equivalent of "The"), but on album covers it's always simply "Dogs".
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" is filed under "3811" and "99910392".
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik, are these lists eligible? I kinda want to add them if they are:

Will Romano - Mountains Come Out of the Sky: The Illustrated History of Prog Rock (2010)

Paul Hegarty|Martin Halliwell - Beyond and Before: Progressive Rock Since the 1960s (2011)

WAN2 50 Best Hungarian Albums + HVG 30 Best Hungarian Albums (I really like to explore these Euro-rock arcana. It makes me travel through imagination and also believe I know stuff, although I actually only know a list of names :D )

Also, I've added this list:

Blue Jean Magazine (Turkey) - 30 Best Albums of Turkish Rock (2007)

It was not as hard to explore as I thought (Discogs does wonders and Wikipedia's pages are basically all the same in every languages), however the subdivision is funky: there's a top 20 best albums, a top 5 "classic albums" and a top 5 "albums sung in English" (basically all heavy metal albums for the latter). I believe from the release dates that the "classic" album era starts for pre-1990 albums. I separated this list in three columns for the three subcategories.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre wrote:Henrik, are these lists eligible? I kinda want to add them if they are:

Will Romano - Mountains Come Out of the Sky: The Illustrated History of Prog Rock (2010)

Paul Hegarty|Martin Halliwell - Beyond and Before: Progressive Rock Since the 1960s (2011)

WAN2 50 Best Hungarian Albums + HVG 30 Best Hungarian Albums (I really like to explore these Euro-rock arcana. It makes me travel through imagination and also believe I know stuff, although I actually only know a list of names :D )

It was not as hard to explore as I thought (Discogs does wonders and Wikipedia's pages are basically all the same in every languages), however the subdivision is funky: there's a top 20 best albums, a top 5 "classic albums" and a top 5 "albums sung in English" (basically all heavy metal albums for the latter). I believe from the release dates that the "classic" album era starts for pre-1990 albums. I separated this list in three columns for the three subcategories.
The Turkish and Hungarian lists are definitely ok, but I'm not sure about the prog rock ones. The first one could probably be included, but it bothers me a bit that popularity is a factor. But is the second "discography" really a list of the best albums from the genre, or does it include average to bad albums as well?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:
Pierre wrote:Henrik, are these lists eligible? I kinda want to add them if they are:

The Turkish and Hungarian lists are definitely ok, but I'm not sure about the prog rock ones. The first one could probably be included, but it bothers me a bit that popularity is a factor. But is the second "discography" really a list of the best albums from the genre, or does it include average to bad albums as well?
I don't know for the prog ones :? I even mentioned for one that someone who owns the book should check to see what are the exact criteria. Well, I'll just include the Hungarian lists then (since I've already included the Turkish one) :) Then it'll be the missing Rolling Stone lists (Italy, Chile, Indonesia and Japan from my old topic) and I'll finish with the Japanese lists. I'll check how many there are exactly and ask you which ones are eligible. Thanks!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Continuing with this: Black Box Recorder's "England Made Me" is featured under both "3715" and "99901247".
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Ken Ishii's "Garden on the Palm" is included as both "99906104" (with a typo as "Garden of the Palm") and "99906105" (correct title).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik, time to make my report.

I've added 23 lists so far. Here they are:

Jazz: A Critics Guide to the 100 Most Important Recordings - Addendum (2002)
David Hepworth: 1971 - Never a Dull Moment: Rock's Golden Year (2016)
Entertainment Weekly: The Must List (2015)
Hervé Guilleminot : La New Wave en 100 CD (2003)
Honolulu Magazine - The 50 Greatest Hawai'i Albums of All Time (2004)
Houston Press - The 30 Best Texas Albums (2012)
Les Inrocks - The 50 Greatest OSTs (2001)
Jazz Magazine: 101 masterpieces you haven't heard yet (2016)
Olivier Cachin: The 100 Essential Rap Albums (2013)
Olivier Cachin & Christophe Geudin: 100 best film scores (2008)
Olivier Cachin & Christophe Geudin: Essential Soul, Funk & Rnb (2009)
Olivier Cachin & Bertrand Lavaine: 100 essential reggae albums (2007)
Taste of Country: 100 Greatest Country Albums of All Time (2015)
Julian Cope: Krautrocksampler (1996)
Julian Cope: Japrocksampler (2007)
Rock & Folk Absolutely Live: 250 live albums revisited (1997)
Blue Jean Magazine: Best 30 Turkish Rock Albums (2007)
Wan2's 50 Best Hungarian Albums of All Time (2004)
HVG's 30 Best Hungarian Albums of All Time (2014)
Rolling Stone (Chile): The 50 Best Chilean albums (2008)
Rolling Stone (Italy): The 100 most beautiful Italian albums of all time (2012)
Rolling Stone (Indonesia): The 150 Greatest Indonesian albums (2007)
Rolling Stone (Japan): 100 Greatest Japanese Rock albums (2007)

All of these were more or less entertaining to add, but I will say the one which gave me most difficulties is the Indonesian one: Indonesian artists are poorly indexed on Discogs and RYM and their Wikipedia is incomplete. I think I pulled it off quite well, although I ended up not deleting a single album dubbed as compilation - apparently, they tend to call a compilation any album which features Various Artists, regardless of whether the material was previously released elsewhere or not. Searching for every single track to know whether they were released before was beyond my skills, so I included everything. The Japanese one was comparatively easier: I know my kana tables enough to navigate with a relative ease (well, at least not to crash my boat on the first rocks I come upon), and there's a bigger following for Japanese music in the West. Talkin' about Japanese, time to go full on Japanese mode. Here are the next lists I'm willing to add, but I need you to confirm their eligibility before I start:

Snoozer (JP) - 150 Greatest Albums of Japanese Rock 'n' Roll (2007) - Snoozer is a rock magazine from Japan, more alternative-indie oriented than Rolling Stone, who released this list as an answer list to Rolling Stone Japan's one.

Tarakajima: Top 20 Japanese Rock Albums (1992) - Another list from a Japanese magazine, which features as a bonus the 59 ballots which were compiled to make the list. I suppose only the compiled top 20 is eligible.

Japanese Rock/Folk 1968-1978 Complete Album Guide (1996) - A book from 1996 which covers only the 1968-1978 period, one album per act, plus three compilations

Rock Chronicles Japan (1968-1999) (1999) - A set of two books giving a huge list of 333 Japanese albums "you need to know", released in 1999. It also features all contributors' picks for the one best album and one best song of the 1968-1980 and 1981-1999 periods, but I hardly see how those would be eligible.

Three lists from Record Collector - Record Collector is a Japanese magazine. Apparently, all three lists exist and all were released in 2010, but I'm a tad surprised at the Top 100 Japanese Rock/Folk Album 1960-1989, since I feel it's a bit redundant with the two others...

Visual Rock Perfect Disc Guide 500 (2013) - This one was extremely entertaining to explore, not so much to write down. Yes, it's a thing: some crazy journalists actually compiled a list of the 500 Visual Kei albums you need for a perfect discography in the genre (are there 500 listenable Visual Kei albums in the first place? :D ) Funny note: there's actually one non-Japanese entry in it, for a Swedish artist.

Once I'll be done with this, I will finish with adding my Original Sound Track: 100 essential video game albums (2014) list, although I believe none of the albums in it has a chance of qualifying for AM in the foreseeable future. I'll just need one instruction before doing it: the list features the 100 main entries with reviews, accompanied with a "If you liked this album, you may like" subsection of three unranked albums. Sometimes, they also feature an additional section of two or three albums called "Concerning the same game" with two or more three albums, which are actually reviewed as well. I need to know which score I will award each album according to their category. I suppose the main entry gets a 1 while the others will get a 2 no matter what, but I want to make sure.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Wow! Thanks Pierre!

About the additional lists, I agree with everything you've written, so you're very welcome to add those as well! :music-guitarred:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Jacques Higelin's "BBH 75" is included under both "99904744" and "99905151".
Andre
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Andre »

Henrik wrote:About the EOY spreadsheets, I believe you have said that you will take the '90s years, Andre. Are you ok with that? And the EOY threads for the '00s years are incomplete so they need to be dealt with later.
That's correct, Henrik, and I am OK with that.
Due to frequent business travels and something that should count as enjoying a summer and social life :D I will only keep working on the EOYs in a slow, but steady pace.

I am now starting to work on 1991, so it will still take a while before I get to 1995. If somebody wants to do 1995-1999, like e.g. Sweepstakes Ron, then that would be great!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Andre wrote:
Henrik wrote:If somebody wants to do 1995-1999, like e.g. Sweepstakes Ron, then that would be great!
Sure, after I get J-K on the songs spreadsheet.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Isabelle Adjani's "Isabelle Adjani" (99905016) and "Pull marine" (99905017) are the same album.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

More random discoveries: Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat" is featured as both "1517" and "99905409".
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Just a note to mention that I've made great progress with what I'm doing: I'm done with the "folk-rock" lists and I'm currently including the Visual Kei one. The most tedious to include was the Rock Chronicles one: instead of 333 albums, I discovered that there were about a thousand entries. The first 333 albums were only the first volume out of the two :scared-shocked:

Notes over the Record Collector lists: apparently, the 60-70s and 80s specific lists were published as special issues of the magazine, while the combined 60-80s top 100 was a book. All of those were indeed published in 2010. There's an important discovery I made: Record Collector actually made two books, the first one dedicated to the choices of the critics, with the second one for the choices of the readers. After some checking, I can confirm that the list I added is the critics' one! We must just remember this if the second book's list ever shows up here.

One request before I forget: an album that appears a few times on these lists is Fushitsusha's first eponymous live double album. I've noticed that in the spreadsheet, Fushitsusha was already featured with an entry titled "DBL Live". If I'm correct, it comes from The Wire's "100 records that set the world on fire", and it's the same album so I should combine the two entries, but I wanted to confirm with you first, Henrik.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Aside from my question above about Fushitsusha, a few more double entries I can confirm: Françoise Hardy's "Françoise Hardy/Tous les garçons et les filles" (99903923) is the same album as "The Ye-Ye Girl from Paris" (99903934), same goes for Georges Brassens' "Le Vent/Les Amoureux des bancs publics" (99904200) and "Les Amoureux des Bancs Publics" (99904201), Jacques Dutronc's "Et moi, et moi, et moi" (99905142) and "Les Play-boys" (99905147).

Jacques Brel's albums are a mess: I would bet that "Demain l'on se marie/Au printemps" (99905125) and "Jacques Brel 3" (99905127)are the same album; and then that "Jacques Brel Vol. 6" (99905129), "Le plat pays/Mijn vlakke land" (99905131) and "Les Bourgeois" (99905133) are as well. The problem is, the early 60s was an age when Brel released his materials as EPs before compiling them into albums, and a few of them might have sneaked in.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:I didn't link to this thread from the new sticky "Help wanted!" thread, as I'm not sure it's a good thing if others start adding album lists while you are working on it, Pierre.
Well, I'm done! :music-rockon: That was somewhat time-consuming, given that I added, like 3000 albums to this spreadsheet :whistle:

Aside from all the notes I left in the last messages (I didn't fuse the two Fushitsusha entries, if they need to be I'll leave it to you, Henrik), I want to mention something about the way Asian people write album titles and more generally names and words in Roman characters: it happens that they don't always have direct equivalents for some of their sounds, therefore it's sometimes approximate. For instance, Indonesian sometimes use "œ" and "u" interchangeably, while for Japanese the "uu" sound can be written as "ū", and the "ou" or "oo" sound as "oh" or "ō". I tried my best to keep it coherent all the way through. Also, whenever an artist's name was extremely common I added "Japan" in parentheses to it, to make the distinction clear.

I also went as far as I could to detect the compilations. I can't guarantee that one or two didn't manage to sneak in, though. In the case of video games soundtracks, the website vgmdb does a crazy job at tracking every releases, but some difficult cases occasionally remain. The release pattern for some game soundtracks can be totally warped. Here are notes about a few particular cases of albums I chose to include but might actually be ineligible and/or should feature alternative releases instead:

- The 2006 album "Makai Senki Disgaea Original Sound Track Reprint" is claimed to be a re-release of the 2003 album "Makai Senki Disgaea Original Soundtrack", but the vgmdb entry states that the mixes for all songs are different.

- The 2011 album "Drag-On Dragoon Original Soundtrack" combines the two earlier 2003 releases "Drag-On Dragoon Original Soundtrack Vol. 1" and "Drag-On Dragoon Original Sound Track Vol. 2".

- The 2012 album "Emil Chronicle Online 6th Anniversary Memorial Soundtrack" is an update of the 2009 album "Emil Chronicle Online Original Soundtrack 4th Anniversary Memorial Complete Soundtrack", with an additional disc of music to the original three-discs release.

- The 1998 album "Gensō Suikoden II Original Game Soundtrack Complete Box" is a box set that combines the albums "Gensō Suikoden II Original Game Soundtrack Vol. 1" and "Gensō Suikoden II Original Game Soundtrack" Vol. 2", which were released simultaneously with the box set.

- The 2004 album "Imaginarium: Songs from the Neverhood" is a re-release of the 1996 album "Neverhood Songs" (both albums are on the list), but with 38 additional tracks, four of which are bonus tracks from the Neverhood and the remaining 34 from the previously unreleased soundtracks of two other games (Skullmonkeys and BoomBots).

- The 2012 album "Portal 2 Soundtrack: Songs To Test By Collectors Edition" is a re-release of the 2011 album "Portal 2 Soundtrack: Songs to Test By" with an additional disc of music (the previously unreleased soundtrack to Portal 1). To complicate things further, the album "Portal 2 Soundtrack: Songs to Test By" itself combined the three independent "Portal 2: Songs to Test By" Volume 1, 2 and 3 albums which were released separately previously.

- The 2006 album "Wild Arms: Complete Tracks" features the complete 79 tracks long soundtrack to the game Wild Arms, but there was a previous 1997 release which featured "only" 36 tracks, titled "Wild Arms Original Game Soundtrack".

Some pretty funky cases in there, right? Otherwise I think I've been pretty efficient in detecting the undeniable compilations. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thank you so much, Pierre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might get back to you later if I have any questions.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Thank you so much, Pierre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might get back to you later if I have any questions.
Any time, Henrik :greetings-waveyellow:

Three further little notes:
- The Word "to" in Japanese is the equivalent of "and" or "&" in English. For example, "Makoto Kubota to Yūyake Gakudan" can be read as "Makoto Kubota & Yūyake Gakudan".
- Some Japanese albums feature two titles, one in Japanese and one translated in another language, usually English. In such cases I put the two titles with a "/" between them.
- Not concerning Japanese stuff: under the artist "M", one of the albums, "New York-London-Paris-Munich", refers to new wave artist Robin Scott's project, while all the other albums are by "-M-", or Matthieu Chedid, a French pop-funk singer. But perhaps you already knew that ;)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Do the EOY spreadsheets need to be finished before the update?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Do the EOY spreadsheets need to be finished before the update?
No, I did them myself some time ago.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Late erratum: RC Succession's album "楽しい夕に" is read as "Tanoshii Yūbe Ni" instead of "Tanoshii Yuuni" as I entered it. Fixed.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Anyone is free to add album lists that have been posted (and deemed eligible) recently!
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Post by DDD troll account »

How recently? For instance, what about the lists marked green in this thread. Which of them are still waiting to be added? And what about the ones not marked green yet. Are they eligible?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

pauldrach wrote:How recently? For instance, what about the lists marked green in this thread. Which of them are still waiting to be added? And what about the ones not marked green yet. Are they eligible?
On top of what's already listed on AM and what's in the spreadsheet in this thread,I already have these ones in my spreadsheets (nothing since I started this thread on April 22):

*Anthony Fantano - The Needle Drop- Classic Albums
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3377

*Charlotte Blum (France): Le metal en 100 CD
https://www.discogs.com/lists/Book-Le-m ... 002/204025
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3692

*Drowned in Sound - In Depth: Lost Albums 2000-2015
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4149 ... -2000-2015
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3777

*Engaged Media - The 100 Greatest Vinyl Records of All Time (2015)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3256

*Entertainment Weekly - 25 Greatest Albums, 1990-2014
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3046

*Les Inrocks - 30 Years of Inrocks: Our Best Albums Since 1986
http://www.lesinrocks.com/2016/02/10/mu ... -11804135/
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3479

*Musikexpress (Germany) - The Best Albums 2000-2015
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3131

*NME - 50 Albums to Hear Before You Die (Update of 2014 list?)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3762

*NME - 50 Albums Released in 1985 That Still Sound Great Today
http://www.nme.com/photos/50-albums-rel ... day/369836
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3767

*Q - 100 Greatest Albums of the 1990s
http://www.qthemusic.com/12622/100-grea ... -of-q-now/ (A to Z)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3096

* Ralf Niemczyk (Germany) - 25 Albums for Men (2007)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3391

*Robert Christgau & David Fricke - The 40 Essential Albums of 1967
http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rs/albums1967-07.php
https://www.discogs.com/lists/The-40-Es ... 007/291062
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3812

*Treble - Best of the 60s Project
http://www.treblezine.com/treble-best-o ... s-project/
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3282

*Ultimate Classic Rock - Top 100 Albums Series (1960s/1970s)
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/classic-rock-lists/
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2798

*Uncut - 200 Greatest Albums of All Time
http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/Uncut_P2 ... lbums_2016
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3324

*Way Too Indie - Best 50 Albums Of The Decade So Far
http://waytooindie.com/features/50-best ... -decade-1/
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3519

Rolling Stone:
* Die 50 besten Live-Alben (published in German Rolling Stone; 2013; note that this does appear in the list of critics' lists on the homepage but the ranks don't appear on the albums' pages):
Poplist
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Renaissance (the artist) was misspelled. I also changed the title of Element of Crime's 1993 album from "Weisses Papier" to "Weißes Papier" and of their 1991 album from "Damals hinterm mond" to "Damals hinterm Mond" Jorge Ben's "África Brasil" was given as "Africa Brazil".

I'm gonna take care of Musikexpress' "50 Meisterwerke: Die besten unbekannten Platten der 70er Jahre" and "Die 75 einflussreichsten Platten aller Zeiten" as well as German Rolling Stone's "Die 100 besten Alben der 90er" for now.
Last edited by DDD troll account on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Csaba
Start Me Up

Post by Csaba »

Hey Pierre,

Maybe a little late to hop in, but thank you so much for finding these lists on Hungarian music, particularly the first one that I've been searching for since forever.

As a native, I can help with the sorting of artists if necessary. Most importantly, Hungarian names follow a [Family name] [Given name] formula, so the following artists look like this once the naming order is switched to non-Hungarian:

Tamás Cseh & János Másik
Levente Szörényi
Júlia Postási & Ádám Dévényi
Péter Máté
Zsuzsa Koncz
János Másik & Tibor Szemző
Klári Katona

Feel free to contact me with any help of this kind!

Csaba
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Csaba wrote:Hey Pierre,

Maybe a little late to hop in, but thank you so much for finding these lists on Hungarian music, particularly the first one that I've been searching for since forever.

As a native, I can help with the sorting of artists if necessary. Most importantly, Hungarian names follow a [Family name] [Given name] formula, so the following artists look like this once the naming order is switched to non-Hungarian:

Tamás Cseh & János Másik
Levente Szörényi
Júlia Postási & Ádám Dévényi
Péter Máté
Zsuzsa Koncz
János Másik & Tibor Szemző
Klári Katona

Feel free to contact me with any help of this kind!

Csaba
Thanks a lot Csaba! At this point, if someone needs help, it will be Henrik, I'm not in charge of updating the website :)

No matter what, I don't think that two lists will gather enough points for Hungarian albums to be included. I had been searching for more lists to help (as I try to help the showing of European music here), notably a book featuring a list of about 300 Hungarian albums that I heard of (I don't remember the title and the number of albums exactly, it's been some time) but I was unsuccessful. :?
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Finished with the three lists mentioned earlier. I didn't know what to do with Fugazi's selt-titled EP so I left it off.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Anyone is free to add album lists that have been posted (and deemed eligible) recently!
Henrik, would it help you if I added some album lists that were added recently? If yes, are there lists you already added to your database yourself?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

While I wait for an answer, I just checked out of curiosity in the spreadsheet a few acts that would benefit from the lists posted recently and I noticed two errors simultaneously in it: poor Death (this sounds weird) have it hard, entries are split for both their Human and Leprosy albums (respectively 99902701 and 99902702, and 99902704 and 99902705).

Actually surprised to see that many death metal acts already have a lot of albums featured in the spreadsheet, even if it never translated into AM induction.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Pierre, you can add as many remaining eligible album lists as you want. I haven't added anything on the album side.

I have thought a lot about asking for more help here, but I have hesitated because it means somewhat more work for me to add more lists in the coming update. However, you are certainly doing most of the work. If I only add these lists without adding any new albums, it's not that much work for me.

Of course, anyone (not just Pierre) is welcome to add newly found and eligible album lists to this spreadsheet, but you need to work one at a time, so that I don't get spreadsheet updates with one list here and another list there.

Thanks! :D
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Pierre, you can add as many remaining eligible album lists as you want. I haven't added anything on the album side.

I have thought a lot about asking for more help here, but I have hesitated because it means somewhat more work for me to add more lists in the coming update. However, you are certainly doing most of the work. If I only add these lists without adding any new albums, it's not that much work for me.

Of course, anyone (not just Pierre) is welcome to add newly found and eligible album lists to this spreadsheet, but you need to work one at a time, so that I don't get spreadsheet updates with one list here and another list there.

Thanks! :D
Henrik, let it be asolutely clear that me adding lists to the spreadsheet doesn't mean I absolutely want these lists to be added with the next update. This can wait as long as you feel you have to. The update already promises to be awesome as is - no need to strain yourself :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Anyway, I'll be working on it then. I'll inform you of my progression and of the lists I'm adding. And I'll be coming back to you for questions if I have any (I have some already formulated, but I'll ask them when I'll get there).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Also, I feel extremely uncomfortable at the "However, you are certainly doing most of the work." part. That's not true. I'm only adding text to a spreadsheet, while you're managing your database, the website, the forum, etc. Plus your life looks far more complicated than mine by a long shot. Thank you for your efforts, mine are insignificant in comparison.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Already running into a doubt :? I see "The Best of Little Walter" was not included on the spreadsheet, however it was the first LP release of Walter and it is included if I'm not mistaken in the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. I suppose it was grandfathered out of AM in the early days of the website.

It is featured in Dick Weissman's Blues list, do I add it to the spreadsheet or do I leave it out?

Also, error found: Rowland S. Howard's Teenage Snuff Film is featured twice: under ref. "99904815" credited to Howard Rowlands and under ref. "99909570" credited to Rowland S. Howard.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Whenever you are uncertain, add the albums to the spreadsheet. We can decide later if the albums should be added to the website.

Thanks!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Whenever you are uncertain, add the albums to the spreadsheet. We can decide later if the albums should be added to the website.

Thanks!
Most certainly. I'll still have a few specific questions later on for situations I think should be clarified immediately, but I'm also making a "Notes" file which content I'll post when I'll be done.

More specifically, these questions will be about the 25 cm albums by France Gall, the Pussy Cat and Zouzou entries from Jean-Emmanuel Deluxe's Yé-yé girls albums list; and the appendices from Andrew Earles' 500 American indie rock albums. I'll come back to you then.

Thanks for answering.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I thought it'd be a good idea to ask the few questions I have at this point, as I've made great progress in my work on the lists I planned (and I'm still planning) to add to the spreadsheet. For the questions that I had in the message above, never mind, I just took decisions and filled my notes file (I've got a three-pages long Word document with notes, in Calibri police 11, already :D ). So, before I get started on these:

- What are the plans for the Roadie Crew list of the best albums of 1980 (compiled in 2010) and Consequence of Sound's list of the best albums of 2007 (compiled in 2017)? Do I add them to the spreadsheet or are they considered late-EOY lists of sort and are added separately?
- Is Loudwire's list of the top albums of the 1980s actually already added to the master file? As StevieFan13 pointed out, it was already featured in the summary of lists to be added from JR.
- How do I handle Kerrang's list of 666 albums, which features ratings for the albums (all go from 3 Ks to 5 Ks, though, as they are the albums to hear before you die)?
- Also, I recommend combining the entries for G N' R Lies and Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide, but I want your opinion on this :)

Thanks in advance for the answers! :)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Oh my. I just added an entry for a Tokio Hotel album to the spreadsheet. I feel... I don't know how I should feel.

Sorry, I had to get this out of my system. I mean, Tokio Hotel :( Ted Nugent was something, but that's another level entirely...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:Oh my. I just added an entry for a Tokio Hotel album to the spreadsheet. I feel... I don't know how I should feel.

Sorry, I had to get this out of my system. I mean, Tokio Hotel :( Ted Nugent was something, but that's another level entirely...
What's Tokio Hotel? And how can they be worse than Ted Nugent?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:Oh my. I just added an entry for a Tokio Hotel album to the spreadsheet. I feel... I don't know how I should feel.

Irony or not? :D Is it that old? Or did America escape it?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:

No irony here. I've literally never heard of them before now. I feel like that's a good thing.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: What's Tokio Hotel? And how can they be worse than Ted Nugent?
No irony here. I've literally never heard of them before now. I feel like that's a good thing.
Then maybe only Europe suffered through this. Consider yourself lucky.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
What kind of music do they make? Why are they so infamous?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: No irony here. I've literally never heard of them before now. I feel like that's a good thing.
What kind of music do they make? Why are they so infamous?
They're practicing a brand of adolescent pop-meets-emo rock thing with a visual style somewhere between emo and visual kei. They were very big with the youth at some point, although they've descended into obscurity since then. Trust me, they were ENORMOUSLY successful from a commercial standpoint and their leader Bill Kaulitz was some sort of ephemereal icon. I guess they fitted well somewhere between the last shards of Placebo's European success and Muse among the youngs over here.

Their music sucks.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”