The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Re: The AMF Top 100 Artists 2016!!!

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Issue 1 --- Lower artist placement (Example: Backstreet Boys vs. John Cale)
I agree with what people have been saying about this poll only concerning peoples' top 100. If it was expanded to top 200, the list would look very different.

Issue 2 --- Guns N' Roses placement
Sorry that you guys are frustrated at this, and I am one on the "shame list" :) I just love "Welcome to the Jungle" and "Sweet Child O' MIne" too much, both in my top 40 songs of all time. "Patience" is also terrific. I also have not listened to enough music yet (for example, haven't heard any Sonic Youth albums yet)
Down the road, I see myself placing Beastie Boys over GNR at least.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I was also surprised about the comments on GnR. I know there are many GnR's haters, but didn't think there were so many here in the AM.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Jimmy, you still owe us five more...
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I will not complain if he post ten more, just sayin' ...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Bruno wrote:I was also surprised about the comments on GnR. I know there are many GnR's haters, but didn't think there were so many here in the AM.
Oh, I don't hate them. In fact, there are two or three songs from them that I actually enjoy. I even own their big three albums (all bought during sales). Truth is, I never listen to them. When I try to, I get bored halfway through. They're considered the peak of their particular genre, rightfully so, but they're just not my thing and I think their legend is built on just one album.

On the other hand, Beastie Boys and Sonic Youth have half a dozen masterpiece albums under their belt, are always a delight to listen to for me, and have influenced countless acts while they also made albums that were arguably peaks in their respective genres (Paul's Boutique and Daydream Nation). To me, GnR have no business ahead of them, although I can understand them being in a top artists of some kind. Just not mine...
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

If the RHCP, Police, and GNR rankings displeased you, you might pull your hair out at the next batch of 5. Two very surprising entrants, one I prefer vastly over the other… :whistle:

One of the biggest acts in pop music history, and notable for being a successful non-English speaking act in the Anglophone world, a rarity…
80| ABBA
426.6 points / 17 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://www.billboard.com/files/styles/a ... d-1548.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 200
2008 Rank: 136
2010 Rank: 126
2013 Rank: 216
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+136 (First Ever Placement in Top 100!)

Top Albums (2014 Album Poll):
No Albums Ranked in the Top 500

Top Songs (2015 Song Poll):
Dancing Queen (161)
Waterloo (692)
The Winner Takes All (939)

Biggest Fans (Top 30 Placements):
prosecutorgodot (2)
bonnielaurel (6)
Georgie (16)
Dan (20)
profeta (24)
PlasticRam (26)

One of the key progressive rock acts, pioneering the fusing of rock music with more supposedly “highbrow” musical styles such as classical…
79| King Crimson
427.5 points / 12 votes
[imgsize 400x354]http://e.snmc.io/lk/f/a/28401b43f4b38a0 ... 137288.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 196
2008 Rank: 153
2010 Rank: 108
2013 Rank: 109
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+30 (First Ever Placement in Top 100!)

In the Court of the Crimson King (104)
Red (497)

21st Century Schizoid Man (242)
Starless (459)
In the Court of the Crimson King (736)

Bang Jan (1)

luney6 (3)
Jackson (8)
Honorio (15)
notbrianeno (23)

This pop punk act from California is one of the most popular in recent times…
78| Green Day
429.4 points / 15 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://www.venevision.com/sites/default ... n-day1.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 160
2008 Rank: 183
2010 Rank: 225
2013 Rank: 201
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+123 (First Ever Placement in Top 100!)

Dookie (346)
American Idiot (357)

Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) (798)
Longview (870)
When I Come Around (884)
Basket Case (912)

prosecutorgodot (1)

Karla (6)
spiritualized (8)
Neil (20)
kaue (23)
renan_antonio (30)

One of the most acclaimed American bands of the 1990s, whose sound and musical style fused the alternative mode of rock with the “classic”, creating an undefinable sound that is all their own…
77| Smashing Pumpkins
430.5 points / 21 votes
[imgsize 400x284]https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpr ... .png?w=807[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 115
2008 Rank: 37
2010 Rank: 68
2013 Rank: 148
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+71

Siamese Dream (114)
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (232)

1979 (141)
Tonight, Tonight (229)
Disarm (594)
Cherub Rock (721)
Bullet with Butterfly Wings (890)

Petri (9)
ordinaryperson (15)
Chris K. (22)
Toni (22)
JohnnyBGoode (24)
notbrianeno (24)
BleuPanda (25)
Listyguy (26)
luney6 (30)

Emerged out of the British New Wave scene to become one of the biggest electronic acts ever…
76| Depeche Mode
430.6 points / 17 votes
[imgsize 400x320]http://www.electronicbeats.net/app/uplo ... ode_EB.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 103
2008 Rank: 63
2010 Rank: 61
2013 Rank: 89
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+13

Violator (139)

Enjoy the Silence (215)
Personal Jesus (425)

slick (3)
Henrik (7)
Moonbeam (14)
Chris K. (20)
Neil (21)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

I'm glad ABBA did really well. They deserve it.
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

Green Day outranked King Crimson. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

My reactions vary from one "classic" act to another. I'm glad RHCP did well, quite happy for The Police because I like their two last albums, angry at GnR because of context and coming on their heels Green Day's ranking leaves me indifferent at this point. Overrated, for sure, once again I would put a lot of acts ahead of them (including King Crimson). I'm surprised Green Day are still this popular, in France they've all but vanished from popular consciousness.
Last edited by Pierre on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Bang Jan wrote:Green Day outranked King Crimson. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Trolololol.
What's your favorite King Crimson song and album, Bang Jan?
Bang Jan
Full of Fire

Post by Bang Jan »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Bang Jan wrote:Green Day outranked King Crimson. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
Trolololol.
Starless and Red respectively, which are also my all time favourite song and album respectively.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

2 of my top 3 revealed. Even though Green Day is a tad closer to my heart than ABBA, I expected and hoped that ABBA would reach a far wider audience. Cest la vie. I am honored to be the biggest supporter of both artists.

Coldplay and Bee Gees seem to be going way above and beyond what I had expected...
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Bruno wrote:I was also surprised about the comments on GnR. I know there are many GnR's haters, but didn't think there were so many here in the AM.
I feel the opposite. I know there are many GnR's lovers, but I didn't think there were so many here on AMF! :D
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Artists in my top 100 and the poll top 100:

Smashing Pumpkins (77/74)
Steely Dan (85/4)
The Police (86/87)
Ray Charles (92/73)
John Lennon (99/78)

So close:
Paul Simon (94/103)
Chuck Berry (104/98)
Paul McCartney (109/68)
The Eagles (110/26)

My unranked in the top 100:
Beastie Boys
Pavement
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I feel like people too easily tear down Green Day. Though they have a lot of weak spots, they also have two really strong peaks.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

From my top ten, I have lost:

1 | Sun Ra (173)
4 | Billie Holiday (89)
5 | Fela Kuti (121)
6 | Derrick May (370)
8 | Ornette Coleman (247)
9 | Arthur Russell (409)

My #7 was ineligible (a conductor) and I expect my #3 and #10 to appear before we get to the top 50 (especially given how hip hop and R&B/funk have placed so far). I'm more intrigued by the absence my second-ranked artist, meaning that either there's going to be something of a surprise in the top 75 or that they fell victim to an accounting error.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Jirin wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Cool to see the results so far. Thanks for the work, Jimmy!

I know some may recoil a bit at the relative placements of pop acts vs critical darlings, but that suggests to me that voters took the advice to select their favorites as opposed to tokenism toward consensus darlings. Hence you'll get stuff like Backstreet Boys over John Cale, but if that accurately reflects the relative levels of affection among pariticipants, then the poll has done its job!
I agree with the sentiment but you also need to take into account that not being familiar with an artist is equal to voting against it. So Backstreet Boys placing above John Cale may only reflect the fact that more people are aware of their catalog.

I also kind of object to the implicit accusation of tokenism toward anyone whose ranks correlate with critics. It's just a fact that people want to rate something higher if it's rated higher among their peers or is viewed to have prestige, but that has at least equal affect on bolstering mainstream artists if not much stronger affect.

You can't really call it honesty in one case then write it off as tokenism in another.
As far as BSB vs JC, it's true that not knowing an artist is akin to voting against that artist, but this is the same with all polls of this nature: they will always cater to more broadly known artists. If we were to look at the average sentiment of AM voters to the top 500 for example, I'm sure John Cale would come out well ahead. But if only 2 people care enough about Cale to rank him within their personal top 100, then why the fuss about his low ranking? This is a list of artists we love, and this result suggests he isn't very well loved. Of course I'd wager there are several voters who do not know his music, but I imagine at least half of the voters are aware of him at least on a surface level by way of various polls and such. I say this as someone who likes Paris 1919 and ranks Backstreet Boys among my least favorite 3 artists ever.

As far as the tokenism goes, I did not mean to infer that those whose lists more closely correlate with the main list are guilty of this at all, so I apologize if that is the way I came across. What I mean is that I recall a few times in past polls where some voters have expressed that they either included artists or placed them higher than their true level of affection would indicate out of a sense of duty toward objectivity or whatever. You are right that this can benefit both mainstream and obscure artists alike, though I'd argue that what is mainstream depends on the community. Heck, I expect Prince and Bowie to get small bumps in their rankings due to this very thing, 2 artists I really love! My hope is that each person's list is as true of a reflection as possible to how much they love each artist included.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I'm glad GnR, Green Day, RHCP and ABBA did well!
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

King Crimson at number 78 redeems a lot of the very weird placements so far on the list. I guess the over performance of artists that are moderately acclaimed but highly popular and accessible could have been predicted given the high turnout and many first time voters, but it is still bizarre to see many of these relative placements (Whitney Houston ahead of the Stooges, Journey ahead of the Ramones, and Britney Spears ahead of Captain Beefheart are three of many I've noticed). If anything, this poll shows the impact of assessing a group's favorite artists by compiling individual top 100 lists versus some other method like a bracket, as discussed above in John Cale vs. the Backstreet Boys. I'm interested to see the individual lists at the end of the poll as well as comparison lists of different groups of voters--I bet the favorite artists of the GnR group are vastly different from those who voted for Sonic Youth even though they are right next to each other on the composite list, for example.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Now that I think of it, I think I love Whitney Houston's really high placing. It's just so bizarre for this forum that I just cannot help but be really happy for her.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Trolololol.
I don't understand this comment. Why wouldn't it be unexpected for Green Day to outrank King Crimson?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Bang Jan wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
Trolololol.
Starless and Red respectively, which are also my all time favourite song and album respectively.
Starless is a very strange tune; I don't have a strong opinion yet. Thanks for the recommendation!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Jackson wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
Trolololol.
I don't understand this comment. Why wouldn't it be unexpected for Green Day to outrank King Crimson?
I'm confused about your question. Do you mean "Why would it be unexpected...?"
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
Jackson wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote: Trolololol.
I'm confused about your question. Do you mean "Why would it be unexpected...?"
Yeah, that's what I meant. From your answer above, it looks like you're new to the band. Try In the Court of the Crimson King and specifically album opener "21st Century Schizoid Man" as a gateway, it's a little more accessible than "Starless."
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Gillingham wrote:
I feel the opposite. I know there are many GnR's lovers, but I didn't think there were so many here on AMF! :D
One thing that's particularly surprising about this placement is that GnR outranked AC/DC by 80 places. I'd figure voters of GnR would also be AC/DC fans (also, AC/DC's discography is much larger while I'd figure their peak is generally considered similar).

On the hard rock spectrum, I'm glad to see Black Sabbath make the top 100, though obviously given their top 5 placement on my list I would have loved for them to be up with the upper tier 70s rock acts. I'd put their first six albums up with just about any band's in terms of quality, innovation, diversity, and repeat listening ability.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Jackson wrote:King Crimson at number 78 redeems a lot of the very weird placements so far on the list. I guess the over performance of artists that are moderately acclaimed but highly popular and accessible could have been predicted given the high turnout and many first time voters, but it is still bizarre to see many of these relative placements (Whitney Houston ahead of the Stooges, Journey ahead of the Ramones, and Britney Spears ahead of Captain Beefheart are three of many I've noticed). If anything, this poll shows the impact of assessing a group's favorite artists by compiling individual top 100 lists versus some other method like a bracket, as discussed above in John Cale vs. the Backstreet Boys. I'm interested to see the individual lists at the end of the poll as well as comparison lists of different groups of voters--I bet the favorite artists of the GnR group are vastly different from those who voted for Sonic Youth even though they are right next to each other on the composite list, for example.
It might be a cool side-project to look at an average rating (say out of 10) of the top 100 for those who wish to participate.

I think I'll keep track of my ratings for such a purpose.

100. Lou Reed: 9.5
99. John Lennon: 1
98. Pavement: 5
97. Serge Gainsbourg: 5
96. My Bloody Valentine: 6
95. Nina Simone: 8
94. Paul Simon: 3
93. Vampire Weekend: 4
92. Ray Charles: 5.5
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 7
90. Gorillaz: 9.5
89. Billie Holiday: 6
88. Sigur Rós: 8
87. Black Sabbath: 5
86. The Police: 6.5
85. Steely Dan: 5
84. Beastie Boys: 7
83. Sonic Youth: 7
82. Guns n' Roses: 7.5
81. Nick Drake: 5
80. ABBA: 7
79. King Crimson: 6
78. Green Day: 0
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 5.5
76. Depeche Mode: 10
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I kinda of wish we had forumers fill out a short questionnaire after submitting their lists. Something like...

1. How old are you?

2. How many albums from the AM top 100 have you heard?

3. blah blah blah

Maybe 5 questions tops. Then we could split up the list all kinda of fun ways at the end.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Hard, but my take:

100. Lou Reed: 7
99. John Lennon: 7.5
98. Pavement: 7
97. Serge Gainsbourg: 6.5
96. My Bloody Valentine: 6.5
94. Paul Simon: 7
93. Vampire Weekend: 7
92. Ray Charles: 10
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 8
90. Gorillaz: 7
89. Billie Holiday: 8.5
88. Sigur Rós: 7
87. Black Sabbath: 9
86. The Police: 8
85. Steely Dan: 7
84. Beastie Boys: 8
82. Guns n' Roses: 8.5
81. Nick Drake: 6.5
80. ABBA: 7.5
79. King Crimson: 7
78. Green Day: 7.5
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 7.5
76. Depeche Mode: 8
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

100. Lou Reed: 8.5
99. John Lennon: 9
98. Pavement: 3
96. My Bloody Valentine: 7
95. Nina Simone: 3
94. Paul Simon: 10
93. Vampire Weekend: 8
92. Ray Charles: 7
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 5.5
90. Gorillaz: 9.5
89. Billie Holiday: 4.5
85. Steely Dan: 5
83. Sonic Youth: 4
82. Guns n' Roses: 6.5
81. Nick Drake: 4.5
80. ABBA: 8.5
79. King Crimson: 5.5
78. Green Day: 6
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 5.5
76. Depeche Mode: 4

Kind of a tough scale.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I feel like that
profeta
Start Me Up

Post by profeta »

profeta wrote:One question: Did you get my vote for Christopher Cross? (#5 in my list)
Jimmy?
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Last batch for today folks, no heart attack rankings this time around LOL :mrgreen:

The great supreme master of the chanson, and easily one of, if not the, most influential figure in French-language pop…
75| Jacques Brel
434.1 points / 15 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://roverarts.com/wp-content/uploads ... esBrel.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 642
2008 Rank: 138
2010 Rank: 109
2013 Rank: 82
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+7

Olympia '64 (457)
Ces gens-la (473)

Amsterdam (121)
Ne me quitte pas (480)
Vesoul (877)

Dan (2)
Romain (15)
jamieW (19)
Dexter (21)
Honorio (24)
babydoll (25)
JimmyJazz (26)
Otisredding (26
Miguel (27)

One of the most iconic American bands of the late 1960s and early 1970s, whose swamp rock sound and quintessentially American lyrics served as one of the primary soundtracks of that tumultuous era in American history…
74| Creedence Clearwater Revival
447.2 points / 23 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/ ... 17-409.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 54
2008 Rank: 70
2010 Rank: 36
2013 Rank: 33
Gain from 2013 Poll:

Cosmo’s Factory (133)
Green River (236)
Willy and the Poor Boys (351)

Fortunate Son (122)
Proud Mary (192)
Have You Ever Seen the Rain? (474)
Ramble Tamble (810)

Gillingham (6)
Listyguy (9)
EmilienDelRey (23)
andy1010 (25)

One of the most acclaimed and talented American singer-songwriters of his generation, whose brilliant career was tragically cut short…
73| Elliott Smith
447.5 points / 18 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://static.spin.com/files/styles/sty ... h-2003.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 134
2008 Rank: 36
2010 Rank: 39
2013 Rank: 92
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+19

Either/Or (137)
XO (267)

Waltz #2 (221)
Between the Bars (548)

Nassim (1)

JohnnyBGoode (9)
Brad (17)
Live In Phoenix (22)
DaveC (29)
Toni (29)

The much acclaimed cult Glasgow band defined by a style all their own…
72| Belle and Sebastian
449.9 points / 14 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://assets.coolhunting.com/coolhunti ... tian-1.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 156
2008 Rank: 31
2010 Rank: 43
2013 Rank: 100
Gain from 2013 Poll:
+28

If You’re Feeling Sinister (118)

Get Me Away from Here, I’m Dying (967)

luvulongTIM (2)
Petri (2)
Brad (9)
JohnnyBGoode (17)
VanillaFire1000 (18)
Miguel (19)
GucciLittlePiggy (28)

The quintessential female soul singer, whose legendary voice all female R&B singers to this day are influenced by…
71| Aretha Franklin
453 points / 22 votes
[imgsize 400x284]http://thecatholiccatalogue.com/wp-cont ... anklin.jpg[/imgsize]
AM Rank: 32
2008 Rank: 114
2010 Rank: 90
2013 Rank: 66
Gain from 2013 Poll:

I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (159)
Lady Soul (193)

Respect (50)
I Say a Little Prayer (445)
Chain of Fools (469)
Think (623)
(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (626)

Bruno (12)
bonnielaurel (13)
vivian (13)
stone37 (22)
EmilienDelRey (24)
Jeff (25)
prosecutorgodot (30)
Last edited by JimmyJazz on Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

profeta wrote:
profeta wrote:One question: Did you get my vote for Christopher Cross? (#5 in my list)
Jimmy?
Sorry, but to all of the voters whose top placement didn't make the Top 500, I will once again reiterate that I will go back in and edit the list once the Top 100 rollout is over. OK? ;)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

So... Coldplay and Bee Gees are top 70 then? This is getting intense...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Ces gens-la is in the top 500.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

This time I'm going with gut-instinct instead of statistics. (Which means some of these ratings might actually contradict my actual list, lol.)

100. Lou Reed: 6.5
99. John Lennon: 6
98. Pavement: 3
97. Serge Gainsbourg: 8
96. My Bloody Valentine: 7
95. Nina Simone: 8.5
94. Paul Simon: 5.5
93. Vampire Weekend: 3.5
92. Ray Charles: 8.5
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 6.5
90. Gorillaz: 8
89. Billie Holiday: 8
87. Black Sabbath: 8.5
86. The Police: 7.5
85. Steely Dan: 7.5
83. Sonic Youth: 7.5
82. Guns n' Roses: 6
81. Nick Drake: 7
79. King Crimson: 8
78. Green Day: 6
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 6
76. Depeche Mode: 8.5
75. Jacques Brel 9.5
74. Creedence Clearwater Revival 8
73. Elliott Smith 6.5
72. Belle and Sebastian 6.5
71. Aretha Franklin 7.5
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

The Pumpkins rise from the previous poll is a pleasant surprise. Their ranking in 2013 was disheartening, to say the least.

On the topic of Green Day and Guns N' Roses: I can see why their music is not loved by some on the forum, and I'll admit I don't really LOVE them either (although both found spots on my list). Hell, GNR are responsible for my personal favorite song, but outside of their debut I don't find much of their music appealing. But the one album they do have is very damn good. Green Day, on the other hand, has a number of great songs on a couple of albums. There is a lot of garbage in both of their discographies, and probably a greater proportion of garbage than many of the acts we'll see in this top 100, but I can respect their placing. If they were in the top 50 I'd be singing a different tune.

Above all else though, A FORTY PLACE DROP FOR CCR?? Say it ain't so... :(
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

No, Aretha!! :(
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Why not?

100. Lou Reed: 6
99. John Lennon: 2
98. Pavement: 9
96. My Bloody Valentine: 8
95. Nina Simone: 4
94. Paul Simon: 6
92. Ray Charles: 4
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 6
90. Gorillaz: 6
89. Billie Holiday: 5
87. Black Sabbath: 6
86. The Police: 6
82. Guns n' Roses: 5
81. Nick Drake: 10
80. ABBA: 8
79. King Crimson: 6
78. Green Day: 7
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 5
76. Depeche Mode: 0
75. Jacques Brel 7
74. Creedence Clearwater Revival 9
73. Elliott Smith 8
72. Belle and Sebastian 4
71. Aretha Franklin 6
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Update:

100. Lou Reed: 7
99. John Lennon: 7.5
98. Pavement: 7
97. Serge Gainsbourg: 6.5
96. My Bloody Valentine: 6.5
94. Paul Simon: 7
92. Ray Charles: 10
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: 8
90. Gorillaz: 7
89. Billie Holiday: 8.5
82. Guns n' Roses: 8.5
81. Nick Drake: 6.5
79. King Crimson: 7
78. Green Day: 7.5
77. Smashing Pumpkins: 7.5
76. Depeche Mode: 8
75. Jacques Brel 6
74. Creedence Clearwater Revival 8.5
73. Elliott Smith 6.5
72. Belle and Sebastian 6.5
71. Aretha Franklin 10
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

You people are crazy. Figuring out how to rate an album was hard enough for me, I could never rate an artist.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

71. Aretha Franklin 9
72. Belle & Sebastian 7
73. Elliott Smith 5
74. Creedence Clearwater Revival 8.5
75. Jacques Brel 5
76. Depeche Mode 7
77. Smashing Pumpkins 9
78. Green Day 8
79. King Crimson 7
80. ABBA 6.5
81. Nick Drake 6
82. Guns n' Roses 7
83. Sonic Youth 5.5
84. Beastie Boys 2
85. Steely Dan 10
86. The Police 9
87. Black Sabbath 7
88. Sigur Ros 7
89. Billie Holiday 7
90. Gorillaz 5
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers 8
92. Ray Charles 9
93. Vampire Weekend 7
94. Paul Simon 8.5
95. Nina Simone 6
96. My Bloody Valentine 5
97. Serge Gainsbourg 3
98. Pavement 2
99. John Lennon 9
100. Lou Reed 7
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:So... Coldplay and Bee Gees are top 70 then? This is getting intense...
Coldplay was rated at 173 in the last poll (down from 77 in the 2010 poll) and the Bee Gees were rated at 180. Coldplay could bounce back as I have observed that there is a yo-yo up and down movement over three polls for some artists.

However, there is a decent chance that one or both of these artists have dropped out of the top 500, rather than moved up to the top 70.

We should know the answer pretty soon.
profeta
Start Me Up

Post by profeta »

JimmyJazz wrote:
profeta wrote:
Jimmy?
Sorry, but to all of the voters whose top placement didn't make the Top 500, I will once again reiterate that I will go back in and edit the list once the Top 100 rollout is over. OK? ;)
Thanks!
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

How do you guys even rate artists on a 0 to 10 scale? For me, when I rate albums, I put 5 as totally average and scale off of that. But even the artists I'm not too big on in the top 100 (like Brel and Serge, sorry Romain) would still sit vastly above a "totally average" band.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:You people are crazy. Figuring out how to rate an album was hard enough for me, I could never rate an artist.
Yeah, I'm surprised that I even managed a list, just like I was once surprised that I got a song list together. I don't rate either kind. I'm good at lumping, I guess.
Jackson wrote: I'm interested to see the individual lists at the end of the poll as well as comparison lists of different groups of voters--I bet the favorite artists of the GnR group are vastly different from those who voted for Sonic Youth even though they are right next to each other on the composite list, for example.
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that different eras (and possibly geographical differences) are more of a difference maker. At any rate, both groups did well on my list.
I'd figure voters of GnR would also be AC/DC fans (also, AC/DC's discography is much larger while I'd figure their peak is generally considered similar).

They're fairly different bands to me. AC/DC is not very.....................psychological. I get the feeling from Back in Black and Highway to Hell that'd I only like a song or two on every album they made.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Nick wrote:How do you guys even rate artists on a 0 to 10 scale? For me, when I rate albums, I put 5 as totally average and scale off of that. But even the artists I'm not too big on in the top 100 (like Brel and Serge, sorry Romain) would still sit vastly above a "totally average" band.
To be honest, for me it's not too difficult. Since I love mainstream as well as acclaimed music, I have no need to rate on a curve. For example, I'm not a big fan of Pavement or Vampire Weekend (a lot of indie rock is probably my weakest area besides modern Country), so there are plenty of average mainstream artists I'd rank above them. Therefore, my rating definitions would probably be something like this:

10 - All-time favorite
9 - Excellent
8- Great
7 - Very good
6 - Above Average
5 - Decent, but not for me
4 - Mediocre
3 - Really not for me
2 - Actively dislike
1 - Michael Bolton

(I apologize if there are any MB fans, but he always springs to mind as my least favorite artist. Of all the songs I've heard from him, I've found only one tolerable. But then with some of the artists that are on my personal Top 100 list: "Those in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.") ;)
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

Neil wrote:It looks like The Police have the most votes so far in the top 100.

25 The Police
19 Black Sabbath
18 Lou Reed
17 John Lennon, Nina Simone, RHCP
16 Vampire Weekend, Ray Charles, Gorillaz, Sigur Ros
15 My Bloody Valentine
14 Serge Gainsbourg,
13 Paul Simon
12 Pavement, Billie Holiday
Update: Top 100 Artists with most votes so far.....

25 The Police
23 CCR
22 Aretha Franklin
21 Nick Drake, Smashing Pumkins
20 Beastie Boys
19 Black Sabbath, Sonic Youth
18 Lou Reed, Elliott Smith
17 John Lennon, Nina Simone, RHCP, ABBA, Depeche Mode
16 Vampire Weekend, Ray Charles, Gorillaz, Sigur Ros
15 My Bloody Valentine, GNR, Green Day, Jaques Brel
14 Serge Gainsbourg, Belle and Sebastion
13 Paul Simon
12 Pavement, Billie Holiday, King Crimson
11 Steely Dan
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Hard to rate these artists, I love some of them but like them all. Based of my own objective opinion I have to yes or no to the following as a Top 100 artist:

100. Lou Reed: YES
99. John Lennon: YES
98. Pavement: NO
97. Serge Gainsbourg: YES
96. My Bloody Valentine: NO
95. Nina Simone: YES
94. Paul Simon: YES
93. Vampire Weekend: NO
92. Ray Charles: YES
91. Red Hot Chili Peppers: YES
90. Gorillaz: NO
89. Billie Holiday: YES
88. Sigur Rós: NO
87. Black Sabbath: YES
86. The Police: YES
85. Steely Dan: YES
84. Beastie Boys: YES
83. Sonic Youth: NO
82. Guns n' Roses: YES
81. Nick Drake: NO
80. ABBA: NO
79. King Crimson: NO
78. Green Day: YES
77. Smashing Pumpkins: NO
76. Depeche Mode: NO
75. Jacques Brel YES
74. Creedence Clearwater Revival YES
73. Elliott Smith NO
72. Belle and Sebastian NO
71. Aretha Franklin YES

"NO" only means that they're not Top 100 worthy for me but almost all of them ranked between 101-200.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

I would be interested in knowing which artists got the most votes outside the top 100!! I know it may seem inconsequential but I am just curious.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

jamieW wrote:Of all the songs I've heard from him, I've found only one tolerable.
Jack Sparrow?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”